Kansas defeats Toledo, 93-83

• 7 p.m., Dec. 30, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Monday, December 30, 2013

Perry Ellis’ big night leads KU soaring past Toledo, 93-83

Kansas forward Perry Ellis goes to the hoop against Toledo forward J.D. Weatherspoon during the first half on Monday, Dec. 30, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Perry Ellis’ mother asked her son a simple, yet serious question, a time or two over the Kansas University basketball team’s recent four-day Christmas break.

“I kept saying, ‘Who are you? What is your name?’ He always had the right answer,” Fonda Ellis said of her 6-foot-8, 225-pound sophomore son, who was whacked in the head and spent the final 18 minutes of the Jayhawks’ Dec. 21 victory over Georgetown suffering concussion-like symptoms in the locker room.

KU-Toledo Box Score

Box Score

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self bemoans defensive effort after 93-83 victory against Toledo

Bill Self bemoans defensive effort after 93-83 victory against Toledo

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Naadir Tharpe, Perry Ellis and Andrew Wiggins dissect KU's win over Toledo

Naadir Tharpe, Perry Ellis and Andrew Wiggins dissect KU's win over Toledo

Download podcast

“Somebody called him on the phone (when he was home in Wichita last week) and said, ‘Who are you?’ He said, ‘Perry,’’’ she added, smiling.

Perry Ellis’ name was on the tips of the tongues of 16,300 fans in Allen Fieldhouse on Monday night, who watched in amazement as he scored 21 points (three off a career high) and grabbed a career-best 11 rebounds in the (9-3) Jayhawks’ 93-83 victory over previously undefeated (12-1) Toledo.

He had his second career double-double just nine days after taking a scary hit to the back of the head from a Georgetown player.

“It’s still a little bit numb,” Perry Ellis said of his neck. He was diagnosed with both a mild concussion and bruised nerve in his neck.

“I got to be at home and got to recover a little bit (reporting with his teammates for practice last Thursday). I felt good out there. I was glad I could be able to play tonight.

“I came into practice trying to be aggressive and not worry about it. It happens in basketball. You get hurt sometimes. I didn’t worry about it,” Perry added.

He might be a little bit modest, considering he’s playing with a strange sensation in his neck area.

“The doctor said it could be a couple weeks to a month for the numbness to go away,” mom Fonda said, noting Perry passed all his concussion tests after being cleared to practice Thursday. “It was a little scary (after the initial hit to the head happened). We went into the locker room with Wayne Simien. I gave him (Perry) a hug and he said, ‘I’m all right.’’’

Ellis impressed his teammates on a night Naadir Tharpe scored a career-high 20 points and Andrew Wiggins went for 20. Last time KU had three players score 20 in a game was Dec. 4, 2002 when four Jayhawks had 20 against Central Missouri State (Keith Langford 23, Nick Collison 22, Simien 22 and Aaron Miles 20).

“He was rebounding the ball well for us the first half, second half, offensively and defensively, just being aggressive,” Tharpe said of Ellis. “Attacking, being the scorer he is. We are going to need him to score like this all the time.”

Ellis hit nine of 15 shots and buried his only three-point attempt. He also had six offensive and five defensive boards and made two of four free throws.

“I thought Perry rebounded the ball,” coach Bill Self said. “They are a good rebounding team and we dominated the glass (44-28). Perry on the offensive end was good.”

Ellis had nine points and seven boards the first half as KU led, 43-36, at the break. He had eight points in a 12-5 run that stretched a 45-38 lead to 57-43 in the second.

The Jayhawks were unable to bury the Rockets despite leading by as many as 16 points. Toledo wound up scoring 83 points off 46.4 percent shooting. KU had 18 turnovers while forcing just eight. KU had four steals compared to Toledo’s 10 thefts.

“We have a lot to learn defensively as a group,” Ellis said. “It takes aggressiveness and really think and not want your man to score. If we get that mentality, we’ll be so much better.”

KU next will meet San Diego State at 3:30 p.m., Sunday, in Allen.

Comments

Brianna Zaleski 8 months ago

Was at the game tonight. Was impressed w Perry 1st, and Toledo 2nd. That is a good team. They can shoot from every position. If they make the dance (which I'm sure they will) they'll be a tough out. It's hard not to be awed by Wiggins' athleticism but it's frustrating not to see him more aggressive. With previous stars who were a little reluctant to be aggressive, (B. Rush and BMac), they could get away w firing 3 pointers because they were great shooters. AW is not as good a shooter, yet he seems content to float around the 3 pt line too much. I realize he can't "take it" every time, and that every team is going to be supremely focused on him, but I'd like to see that kid just get pissed and take over for a half once in a while. But gosh damn, he is just a joy to watch in person with how athletic he is.

Titus Canby 8 months ago

I was at the Georgetown game and noticed the same thing. I saw a lot of standing around on offense by the entire team, but especially with Wiggins. We need to get him to move, run screens for him, etc. to get him open.

Walter Bridges 8 months ago

Toledo definitely didn't know the meaning of quitting.

Gerry Butler 8 months ago

agreed, wiggins has a god given talent for sure shows flashes of just how good he can be, yet I have GOT to say at this point and time anyways, if the NBA draft were to take place today that there is no doubt, ABSOLUTLEY NONE that jo jo would for sure be drafted ahead of wiggins, that kid I tell you does things that a 7 footer shouldn't be able to do, unbelievable moves, quickness for someone that size, shoots with either hand, getting ALOT on the defensive end all the time, making big strides in improvement every game, I watch as well as a lot of others and some of the things he does you just say OH NO HE DIDN'T. and as we know and have heard the NBA drafts a lot on the potential, as well as the talent. we all see soooo many kids of that size look so robotic, mechanical, NOT the case with jo jo. I know, you know, jo jo and Andrew are one and done for sure no question about that enjoy while wee can, like its been said previously its just to bad we aren't going to get to see them in allen when they hit their peak. GO HAWKS

Michael Pannacciulli 8 months ago

Joel had a play on the baseline last night that when I saw it I said...he will be the top pick. He won't dominate in the NBA out of the gates but can be a Duncan type over time. I hope for his sake he develops some range also.

Jonathan Allison 8 months ago

Embiid has the personality to make a decision that would surprise everyone. If he's projected as the #1 pick in the draft then he should go, but if it would make his father proud for him to return and continue his education then he may well do it. I would be surprised but not shocked if he doesn't bolt for the draft at the earliest opportunity.

Jonathan Allison 8 months ago

Ellis was in a zone tonight! I am actually surprised that he missed 6 shots, there was a stretch where he just couldn't miss.

Asad Zoberi 8 months ago

I am still puzzled on rotation and why Self is not playing more players when he has such quality of depth on the bench. In the past years one can understand Self's philosophy as he did not have quality depth. But this year is different in this regard and even Self had indicated that he can see 9-10 players getting solid minutes.

I'd imagine that players will have more energy and will be able to hustle more with some rest. This should help in creating the pressure. We should be running out the teams from the gym.

From last night's game if Mason's 23 minutes are taken out, our bench played a combined total of 21 minutes (Traylor 9, Black 7 and Greene 7). AW3 and Lucas did not play at all.

I have no idea why our talented, long and athletic players are not getting the minutes. This must be very frustrating for them.

Mick Allen 8 months ago

HCBS knows the reason that they are not getting the minutes you seem to think they deserve and that is all that matters. The game plan was obviously to bang it inside to our bigs to take advantage of our superior size and athleticism, which we obviously did quite well. Perry and Joel both had solid games and there was little reason to sub for them when they were playing so effectively which is the main reason Traylor[who has been playing quite well] and Black did not get more minutes. With regard to Greene, coach likes to go with Mason and Tharpe late in a game with a lead for ball handling and going to the free throw line. I believe the majority of Frank's minutes came in that type of scenario.

Aaron Paisley 8 months ago

HEM, there's your confirmation about Perry having a concussion.

Steve Brown 8 months ago

Lighthawk comments: sorry to beat a dead horse realize it doesn't affect 99% of you. Frustration level all time high with the Time Warner black out of other cable companies. You may say just switch cable companies and I had TW in the past, not a firm I wish to have again and more importantly don't pay ransom to pirates or your ships will continue to be hijacked. It wasn't right to trade arms for hostages and certainly won't reward the blackout by enrolling in TW, if I do then next year it will be 12 games. How many pieces of silver does it take to deny a portion of your fan base your product. We've had season tickets over 15 years, attended several final fours, watched in person the Billy Tubbs fiasco, the jack Hartman golf bag retirement, the sit down Norm retirement, with the rocking chair, saw Bud go off for 50 against MU. Many great memories in person and on the radio and on video. We went shopping and turned off the radio, my wife said don't you want to listen, and I replied what if I hear a good play, I will want to go home and watch it delayed and can't so why listen. At both stores last night, the subject of KU black out came up at checkout and not by me. All agreed with sentiment to NEVER enroll in TW cable even if they become the only game in town. Odd we can get Sooners, KState and a host of other schools ball games. I called my attorney and said are you getting the game, he said no and was so mad he couldn't talk. His wife said we normally know the players by now and know their personalities. She said we have been to a couple games and watched a few but with all the blackouts we aren't connected to this team as in prior years. I called a teacher family friend and she said no I am blacked out and 'hate TW cable', will not enroll if it becomes free. First time in 35 years haven't been able to see the games live. I guess Zenger, like Andrew Snowden is a K-State mole sent to tear apart a once loyal fan base. The fact that only a few of us are affected doesn't make it right anymore than only a few were being rounded up in pre war Germany. Gladly never divorced yet starting to know what it feels like. Prisoner swap Snowden for Zenger.

RJ King 8 months ago

Darkhawk - Season tickets for 15 years? Watched them live for the past 35? Cry me a river. I've managed one game at Allen in the past 37 years. It was a loss to Iowa State that cost me $1K on stub hub. Have caught the Hawks at UCLA, Reno, and at Cal. Not the same as AF, nevertheless THRILLED at a chance to see the Hawks live. I've watched many a game - televised only by Jayhawk TV - on my tube via ESPN replay. I still get a great sense of the players personalities, even with a crappy version of SD.

To address the rest of your hyperbole, being left out of KU TV land (by your own choice) is NOTHING like divorce induced exclusion. Trust me. And finally, my spouse is Jewish. Don't even begin to draw comparison between television distribution and Nazi Germany.

Thanksgiving is over, but you might want to recount your blessings. Having your attorney on speed dial suggests you might have a few.

Rodney Crain 8 months ago

RJ 100% agree. S. Brown you went way over the line on your comparison to "being rounded up". My father would recall liberating one of the camps and you are not being treated the same. Not even remotely close. Hate to break this to you but we live in a time where free and always are not words used much anymore in sports. Pay per view, dish and cable replaced them. Progress is required and rarely welcomed. It also cannot be stopped no matter how loud you yell.