Kansas defeats Georgetown, 86-64

• 11 a.m., Dec. 21, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tarik Black, bigs carry KU past Hoyas, 86-64

Kansas forward Tarik Black raises the Fieldhouse after throwing down a lob dunk against Georgetown during the first half on Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self postgame vs. Georgetown, Dec. 21, 2013

Bill Self postgame vs. Georgetown, Dec. 21, 2013

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Tarik Black, Joel Embiid, Naadir Tharpe postgame vs. Georgetown, Dec. 21, 2013

Tarik Black, Joel Embiid, Naadir Tharpe postgame vs. Georgetown, Dec. 21, 2013

Download podcast

Kansas University’s senior power forward Tarik Black didn’t sulk, didn’t brood, didn’t mope after losing his starting spot to freshman Joel Embiid three games ago.

“His attitude even got better,” KU coach Bill Self said after Memphis transfer Black exploded for 17 points with six rebounds and two blocks while playing 20 minutes in the Jayhawks’ 86-64 rout of Georgetown on Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It’s a great lesson for young kids to learn. He tries so hard. You knew eventually he was going to kick it. He was great today.”

Black, who hit five of five floor shots and seven of nine free throws, had not scored in KU’s last four games while playing a combined 22 minutes. He was 0-for-3 from the field in that span and had seven rebounds total.

“I knew coming here that it wasn’t going to be perfect. I’m new here. I played in college for a while (three years at Memphis), but I had to learn the system,” said the 6-foot-9, 260-pound Black, who also did a good job defending 6-10, 350-pound Joshua Smith. Smith finished with five points and no rebounds plus five fouls in 19 minutes.

“I knew there were things I was going to go through. The thing that made it easier was, I played before. I knew what I was capable of the whole time. It was a matter of finding it in this system and having the faith the time was going to come, the opportunity was going to present itself and be ready for it. I had to continue to work hard so when the time came I didn’t let it pass me by.”

Black said it was easy to not get too low during a foul-plagued start to his senior season. His previous scoring high had been eight points in the season opener versus Louisiana at Monroe. He had a season-high seven boards in that game.

“I have a great coaching staff that told me to keep my head up and keep on working,” said Black, who also received a boost from his mom, Judith, and dad, Lawrence, who were in the stands Saturday.

“My teammates ... they push me. Joel (17 points, 4-for-4 shooting, 9-for-12 from line, eight rebounds) and Naa (Tharpe, 10 points, four assists) tell me every day, ‘You need to play in games like you do in practice and play hard.’”

Black played 12 minutes the second half, some of that alongside Embiid. Forward Perry Ellis played just two minutes of the half, leaving after getting hammered in the back of the head by Nate Lubick on a shooting foul at 18:44. Ellis sat out the rest of the game with concussion-like symptoms. Ellis, who had five points and two boards in 12 minutes, is OK and not expected to miss any practice time.

“The same balls that had been rolling out ... a couple rolled in today,” Self said of Black’s shot attempts. “He made his free throws for the most part. He got an opportunity to play extended minutes. It’s hard to get in rhythm if you are playing two to three minutes a time at the most.

“That was nice to be able to take Joel out and get just as good production bringing Tarik in,” Self added. “One thing I did see today, depending on how the other team plays, we can play those two guys together, too. That was a bonus. If we keep getting production out of Tarik and Joel, we’ll be a hard team to deal with. Jamari (Traylor, eight points, 3-for-3 shooting, seven boards in 20 minutes) was great off the bench as well.”

Embiid had a solid block of an Aaron Bowen shot in the first half and a follow dunk off a miss by Andrew Wiggins (12 points, 3-for-10 shooting) in the second half. Both were certainly worthy of “SportsCenter” plays of the day and/or the season’s highlight video.

“Look at this guy, man. This right here is a load in itself,” Black said with a smile, pointing to Embiid in the interview room. “We can definitely do damage on the inside. When I get my opportunities, if I come out and perform the way I am supposed to ... we also have Landen Lucas that can come in and perform at a high level. We are dangerous in the frontcourt.”

Tharpe, who said he shares leadership duties with Black at practice, knew the big guy was primed for a big game.

“Definitely,” said Tharpe, who worked 28 minutes. Backup point Frank Mason had five points and four assists in 15 minutes. “Every practice, he (Black) is a guy that is always talking. If not me, he’s always talking as well. He never gets down on himself or tries to put the other team down. The one thing about him throughout that time he was a little down, he was a good teammate the whole time.”

Black had six points in a 14-3 run that turned a 24-23 deficit into a 37-27 KU lead. KU (8-3) held a 44-34 advantage at the break over the Hoyas (7-3). The Jayhawks hit 31 of 46 free throws in a physical game to Georgetown’s 16 of 28.

Georgetown hit 22 of 54 shots (40.7 percent), including four of 15 threes to KU’s 54.3 percent shooting (five of 14 threes).

“We guarded their actions really well,” Self said. “Our scout team did a great job during the week. Niko (Roberts), Evan (Manning), Justin (Wesley) and Hunter (Mickelson) did a great job of preparing our team for this game. Take away the first 10 minutes, that was a much better defensive basketball team out there.”

The Jayhawks — with the exception of Cameroon native Embiid, who will stay in Lawrence — now return to their hometowns for winter break. Practice will resume Dec. 26, with the next game a 7 p.m. battle against Toledo on Dec. 30 in Allen.

Comments

Kye Clark 7 months, 1 week ago

"It’s hard to get in rhythm if you are playing two to three minutes a time at the most."

Cue HEM and the narrative about Greene, Frankamp, & AW3. We saw it today: Greene came in, played less than stellar, got yanked. Next opportunity for minutes went to Frankamp. Neither produced anything.

Couple that with Self's response on Hawk Talk about how it would be ideal for one of the three to get most of the minutes in a game, as opposed to spreading the minutes thin between all three players, and you know he gets it. But in games...I don't know if he just gets caught up in the moment and his instinct is to give the quick hook, or if he actually is weighing the advantage of leaving someone in and letting them play through their mistakes and hope they get into that rhythm against any number of other factors. Whatever the case, we have rarely seen players at that spot in the rotation left in for extended minutes unless they come in off the bench playing great.

Anyway, not trying to be a Scrooge, just saw the quote and couldn't resist. Good game by the 'hawks. Some nice highlight reel plays (anything to get the Lebron-BMac image out of my head). The abundance of fouls made for a long, choppy game. Glad to hear Perry is OK. Hope all the guys have safe travels home for the holidays.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

Man, it is hard to understand. You'd think that Greene might have built up a little equity there after a couple solid games. But a poor two minute stretch and he was done for the day. Then CF plays. and surprise, surprise ... basically a net zero from the 5th perimeter spot.

What I am baffled by is if Self really believes this team can shoot the ball well enough to win a national title, without one of the three being a rotation player. A number of national folks, including Bilas today, noted the concern with whether we can shoot the ball well enough.

Self acknowledges he needs to go with one ... then his temper gets the better of him. As you said, "caught up in the moment." I have always believed that Self, in-game, is more reactionary than adhering to a plan with his guys as far as playing time.

And it is always interesting how Wiggins can get away with two quick turnovers, some poor body language following, and even appearing to be jogging ... and he gets a free pass.

This is what I had posted kubuckets.com before the game about Greene: With Andrew White apparently out and very limited in practice, will Brannen Greene get rotation level minutes once again? Greene really has an opportunity to cement his spot as the 5th perimeter guy tomorrow, and then against Toledo on Dec. 30. Having a true three point sniper getting rotation level minutes is huge, going forward. If Self plays him 6 minutes, and maybe Frankamp 3 or 4, all progress may be lost in this regard. Big deal here, in my opinion.

We're no further along on this than we were in November.

My biggest concern is that our lack of three point shooting is going to cost us a chance at a national title. I think it is that big of a deal.

Kye Clark 7 months, 1 week ago

Well...it's less interesting to me how different players get a pass. Certain players bring more to the table than others. Starters bring more to the table than bench players. Stars more than role players. Etc. So while a starter/star may make a few mistakes, they can remain a net positive because of the other things they are at least capable of. When marginal players - bench/role players - make mistakes, it is far more likely to result in a net negative because they are less likely to contribute in other areas. The one player that always got a pass that made me shake my head was Tyshawn Taylor. As you pointed out in a different post, it wasn't until the last maybe 2/3 of his senior year that his play warranted getting that pass.

To your bigger point about 3-point shooting and rotation level minutes, my position has been to develop all 3 of Greene, Frankamp, & AW3. Or at the very least 2 of the 3. Now, that isn't to say you develop all 3 or 2 of the 3 in the same game. I believe one player needs to get the lion's share of the minutes within a single game, I just think it's OK to vary who is getting those minutes game to game. My reasoning is this - like you, I believe that lack of 3-point shooting could cost us in March. However, we don't have a consistent 3-point shooter in the starting line-up. Tharpe, Selden, Wiggins...all OK. But no outside assassins. If you develop only one of Greene, Frankamp, or AW3, you aren't protecting yourself against that one player having a bad shooting game. So if we roll into the tournament and you've given Greene all the minutes all season long as the 5th perimeter player, what happens when he goes 0-5, 1-6 in the second round? We've seen that before - Sherron Collins, Tyrel Reed, etc. Good shooters having an off game. Now you have nowhere to turn because you didn't prepare someone else. Granted there's only so much you can protect yourself as there are only so many minutes to go around, but without another consistent threat from the starters, I think you have to throw another player minutes, and crunch time minutes as we often refer to them, throughout the season.

Dirk Medema 7 months, 1 week ago

Greene messed up 3 possessions in a row. There aren't any other players that do that and stay in the game.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

Remember, it's not all about getting yanked .. it's about not even getting put back in. Greene's crimes - turnover where he tripped over the defender's foot and turned it over, taking three early in the shot clock, and giving up a three (although he did fight over the screen).

Walter Bridges 7 months, 1 week ago

I thought maybe you might address some of the comments you made about Black and having a breakout moment from a previous article. But apparently you have found another subject to voice your displeasure with this teams progress.

"We are 10 games in, nearly a third of the regular season, and Black's play on the court has been a disaster."

HEM.,.not a single word about how well Black played yesterday? In KU's most complete game of the year both offensively and defensively, nothing?

" this guy is a senior and for 10 games he can't figure out how to play a few minutes without fouling? That tells me something."

Old dog learning new tricks? Or just maybe after playing three years under the old rules, the transition to the new rules might just be more difficult for a senior than a freshman.

" I recall the comments of multiple Memphis fans when he (Black) signed .. basically, don't expect much)

Any chance you might produce the source of those comments? Because if not, that tells me something.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

Walter: No, I'm happy for Black. I hope he can put together a nice streak of games that is different than the first 10. We need Black to play well. I would caution that we have 10 games of one Tarik Black, and 1 game of another Tarik Black. Let's assess after the next 9 games.

The comments from Memphis fans were on twitter after the signing. In reply to national guys announcing the signing.

And so you know, I don't just post positive stuff after wins. Wins are nice. KU wins. But the goal here is to be the best. To win the national title. I replied to a thought started by ict.

Black playing well is nice. Good for him. But our endemic problem right now is our three point shooting.

Walter Bridges 7 months, 1 week ago

Appreciate your response. As always HEM, you don't back away from previous comments. I'm hoping that Black is finding his comfort zone and will not wait another 10 games to show this wasn't a fluke.

I posted this somewhere that you do stand behind your comments when either waiting or losing. It is an admirable strength that even after this teams best victory you still find negatives (real) that haven't been addressed yet.

Walter Bridges 7 months, 1 week ago

Has Greene scored more than five points in any game this season? Looking at his statistics from: http://kusports.sportsdirectinc.com/basketball/ncaab-teams.aspx?page=/data/ncaab/teams/team2507.html it doesn't looks like he has but I thought he had one game in the Bahamas where he scored in double digits.

This is just a question with no hidden agenda.

Brett McCabe 7 months, 1 week ago

Skipping by the obvious story lines for this game to state that I liked what I saw from Wiggins today. I liked his defense, his unselfishness, his competitiveness when he dropped the long-trey after the altercation and I like the fact that he always wants to guard the other teams' best. The scoring will come. Everything else seems to already be clicking.

Also, are the coaches of our other sports taking advantage of the exposure we are getting in Canada? Happy to see that the football team utilized it in the most recent commitment.

Jeff Darby 7 months, 1 week ago

Good to finally see a strong performance from Black and another good one from Traylor. Normally I wouldn't condone a player throwing a ball at another player, but when Wiggins did it, it was good to finally see some fire in him! I know not all players are wired the same way, but I have never seen a player at least appear to be as emotionless and nonchalant as Wiggins seems to be when he plays. What KU lacks in experience and shooting I think will be made up with quality depth come Big 12 and tournament time. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Kye Clark 7 months, 1 week ago

"I have never seen a player at least appear to be as emotionless and nonchalant as Wiggins seems to be when he plays."

You know Wiggins plays on the same team as Perry Ellis, right? LOL. Seriously, if it wasn't already taken, we could re-nickname Perry "the Machine".

Jeff Darby 7 months, 1 week ago

Good point. I was in no way trying to be critical of Wiggins. And you're right, Perry Ellis does seem to be wired the same way. To a large degree I actually can't stand it when players overly talk trash and pound their chests, but it's good to see some raw emotion come out every once in awhile. Good win either way. Hopefully this is a sign that we are starting to really come together as a team as Big 12 approaches.

Walter Bridges 7 months, 1 week ago

Not while playing on defense but why he isn't performing nearly as well on offense is extremely perplexing. I see Embiid being the player that can carry this team far into the NCAA.

Plenty of time still for him to get it together. If by the end of January, he doesn't start playing near the level of his talent then I will start getting worried. If for no other reason, this is why Self needs Andrew White or Greene to be the one who can knock down threes with regularity.

Kye Clark 7 months, 1 week ago

I was pondering this after the last game, and after today it seems even more of an appropriate query: where do you think this front-court ranks among those of Self's teams? I'm not talking small forwards, just the 4 & 5. And factor in the bench. Let's work our way back, starting with this year's team:

'14: Embiid, Ellis, Black, Traylor, Lucas '13: Withey, KY, Ellis, Traylor '12: TRob, Withey, KY, Wesley '11: Mc Morris, Mk Morris, TRob, Withey '10: Aldrich, Mc Morris, Mk Morris, TRob '09: Aldrich, Mc Morris, Mk Morris, Little '08: Arthur, D Jackson, Kaun, Aldrich '07: Wright, Arthur, D Jackson, Kaun

With all due respect to Wayne Simien, '07 is as far back as I felt like going.

My personal opinion is that the '11 Morris Hawks were the best, at least in terms of scoring & rebounding. They also had what I feel was the best big off the bench in sophomore TRob.

The only thing that group lacked was a "rim protector" (Withey didn't sniff the court much that year). Now I've often been on the other side of the fence than most fans on this preference - while I enjoy and appreciate the shot blockers, I've always preferred the Self teams that start two athletic 4s. The Morris Hawks, the '08 pairing of DJacks & Shady. I just think the offense is more versatile and fast paced.

That all being said, I think this year's team, by the end, definitely has the opportunity to pass the Morris Hawks. The difference maker is Embiid - he provides the best of both worlds. Rim protector plus athleticism. This guy is an absolute joy to watch.

Love to hear what everyone else thinks. Just looking at those front courts; we've had some greats come through here. Nice to know they are still coming and developing even after Manning left.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

ict: Ok, you're opening the old wounds here.

Yes, yes .. 2011 was the best. That was another national title right there on a silver platter. Butler in the semis, then an inferior UConn team. Ugh. Thanks for the reminder.

The 2012 version of TRob was our best individual post player, in my opinion.

While I am with you on having two athletic 4s in the post as the preference, I am suspecting that at the end of this season, assuming Embiid continues his assent, that he might change our thinking a bit. Maybe that's because Embiid is athletic much like a 4 anyway, and not "stiff" offensively like Kaun, Aldrich and Withey.

What is exciting here is that if we think our two post spots can challenge 2011's, I think our perimeter this season is better than 2011. But then again, I was never, never, ever, ever a BStar fan. And I only reach "ok level" with TT in the second half of the 2011-12 season.

Kye Clark 7 months, 1 week ago

Ugh...just noticed my post didn't format the way I had typed it up. Makes the lists of front court players all run together. Crap.

Anyway, I agree with pretty much all of this post. With 2011, I wasn't necessarily looking to open the old wounds in regards to a national title. I just thought that collection of post players was the best Self has had. As far as 2011 as a whole goes, I would say that was definitely our best chance to win a title that slipped away, but not the best Self team to not win a title. I think the '07 squad was superior to the '11 squad as a whole, because of reason you mentioned - the perimeter. A healthy Selby changes the whole complexion of that season...

And I don't think Embiid is going to change my thinking, I just think he will be the exception to the rule. Ekpe Udoh from Baylor a few years back was another center/5/rim protector that I would classify as an exception to the rule (although with no where near the ceiling as Jojo).

Sean Doherty 7 months, 1 week ago

People who think that the last greatest team will always win their argument are a wast of time and space. Thank you for trying to make the current KU Basketball team look awful. This is the greatest talented team ever to grace Allen Field house. Your skepticism equates to No response from anyone who matters. BYE.

Erich Hartmann 7 months, 1 week ago

HEM & ICT, 2 things:

Yes, the debates were legend regarding "BStar plays, while EJ rides pine...". Just playing rewind, I recall EJ couldnt keep his man in front of him defensively, while Brady could guard 95% of college 3s (just not the 5%, usually found deep in the Tourney, if I recall HEM's sentiment on Brady...). But that 95% ability coupled with near-zero poptarts is exactly why Brady played.

Regarding "shooting ability"--> Hey, we thought we had that before: in 2010 we had pure-shooter Sherron who was 1-7 from 3 vs. UNI while Ben Anderson's UNI squad even pulled a couple of treys out of their butt (Egelseder's "happy giant" 2 3's)...and then in 2011 it was Reed that went 1-9 from trey, absolutely shooting us out of the VCU game.

Bottom line: Self knows the percentages. He has always said we play inside-out. But if an aspect of our performance isnt working (outside shooting), its up to Self and the players to figure something out in-game, ala asking Tyshawn to "just drive it", thus slowing the game and getting FT points with the clock stopped.

Kye Clark 7 months, 1 week ago

Erich - that's funny. I just referenced Sherron & Tyrel shooting us out of tourney games in another post about 10 minutes before you.

You're right, it's hard to accommodate for a consistent outside shooter going cold. That is why it is important to cultivate options. Because in a 6-game march to the championship, you'll run into some team will inevitably throw something at you that will take you out of your comfort zone. It is at that point as you say "up to Self and the players" to make the adjustments.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

Erich: So in hindsight, you can't even acknowledge now that playing Brady was the wrong move? Here's hindsight (of course, much of this was foresight, too) -

1] EJ should have been given the #2 spot, and left alone. Evidence is his performance in our final four run of 2011-12 and his crucial and timely play in the NCAA tournament.

2] Morningstar regularly underperformed in the NCAA tournament. Show me a KU "final game of they year", and you'll see Brady underperforming.

3] Brady could not keep up with top athletes. Regularly he was burned by top athletes. His horrific performance vs. VCU was the final nail in the coffin. One that began with his choke against Michigan St.

4] Brady was not an elite defender. Not even close. He was a good defender. But again, he struggled mightily against athletes. There were many times where I went back, broke down Brady's performances on defense. I watched the guy relentlessly. I know Brady Morningstar. Travis Releford was a much better defender than Brady ... not the same conversation. You even reference the "5%" found deep in the tourney .. that's why we play, to win the NCAA tourney, right? And criticisms of EJ disregard the evidence: remember the stretch he played when TT was benched/suspended in 2010-11? There was a lot of question as to whether Self would even go back to Taylor.

5] This is on Self .. Self relied on Brady for huge minutes down the stretch in 2010; then plays him sparingly against UNI. While the option that could have matched up, and could have helped, was on the bench, not having been utilized.

6] EJ and Releford were the starting 2 and 3 in their first season in that role, on a team that got to the title game. Tell me what Final Four team Brady was a part of?

7] Self now plays younger players when he has to (all of a sudden). EJ and Releford were not, suddenly, largely better players their junior seasons vs. their sophomore seasons.

8] Self's decisions left us losing to Michigan St., losing to UNI, losing to VCU -- the latter two losses to teams we should have beaten by double digits. No one says that is solely because he played Morningstar (or in the case of UNI, played Brady over EJ down the stretch, and then sat Brady vs. UNI with no real option to play EJ, who had been stuck on the bench). But the reliance on Brady killed us against teams like VCU, and that was a huge reason for missing out on a national title.

Folks have the benefit of hindsight, and still have audacity to defend the worst decision and mistake of coach Self's career at Kansas.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

Erich: And on the outside shooting .. so you say, because a player (Reed), who arguably should not have been a primary player in the VCU game, went 1-9, we should not cultivate our shooting?

See, you made the point. You have to cultivate your options. You can't rely upon your chosen few. You have to get your options ready for when they are needed. This team is so obviously lacking in outside shooting, to deny that fact is simply an exercise in rationalization.

Vs. UNI, Brady had played big minutes down the stretch in the regular season and tourney. Then Self didn't play him (8 minutes) in the biggest game of the season. But he had not played EJ down the stretch much at all. Self had no confidence to turn to him. So we were left with no other options. Self played 7 guys, plus Brady's 8 minutes. Look familiar?

Vs. VCU, same deal. Brady and Reed had gotten all the big minutes. Then, when we needed it, we're turning to guys that rarely played. Brady scored 2 points in 32 minutes of play, 0-3 from 3 and 1-7 total. Reed was 1-7 from 3 as you mentioned. But it was more glaring that Brady couldn't keep up on D. He was useless in that game. Self played six guys double digit minutes. Look familiar?

I will go to my grave believing that if Self simply played EJ over Brady during the 2010-11 season, we are national champs. Simplistic? Yes. But one thing we do know: We lost to VCU playing basically 6 guys, with Brady-freaking Morningstar shooting 1-7, 2 points in 32 minutes, and struggling on the defensive end all day. That is fact.

And we don't think cultivating our shooters is a good idea. That's drinkin' the Self Kool-Aid.

Dirk Medema 7 months, 1 week ago

'08 was better than '11 because they played better D.

If '14 can play like this consistently (+ Perry), it will be the best by far.

Mike Bratisax 7 months, 1 week ago

'08 was better because they had better players.

Titus Canby 7 months, 1 week ago

Let's do go back a bit further. The '02 team with Gooden and Collison as juniors, and Simien as a freshman. Those guys were unstoppable. I don't how they ever lost in the final 4.

Suzi Marshall 7 months, 1 week ago

Greene blew his opportunity today to separate himself from AWIII and CF. He came into the game at 14:02 with Kansas up 15-14. He departed at 11:37 with Kansas down 21-15. While on the floor he committed an lackadaisical unforced turnover that led to a breakaway 2, left Starks open for a 3 and finally put up (…and missed) a 3 with 24 seconds on the shot clock. Self yanked him, never to be seen on the floor the balance of the game.
CF did less harm but missed everything he looked at. If AWIII puts up a solid game vs. Toledo and follow it up with another vs. SDSU that rotation spot at the 3 is his. Once Greene left the game, Kansas went on to play our best game of the year, outscoring GT 69-43. Amongst the several great stats, we had; 1) 18 assist on our 25 made baskets, a. four players (Mason, Tharpe, Selden and Wiggins) had 4 assist each, 2) 7 blocks from 5 different players. 3) GT shot only 40.7% from the field.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

I think you might be missing the point, like Mr. Carr below.

First, Greene had a poor 2 minute stretch. Right. Agreed.

Self stated clearly that he needs to settle on one guy as the 5th perimeter player. His words. Then Self reacts with anger/frustration, and benches the guy the rest of the game. It's childish. It's not a "plan." Self starts reaching for a guy to go in as a reaction to a play. It's anger. It's punitive. So no one should confuse this with a strategic plan.

What we're talking about is cultivating a player for when you need it. Something we don't have -- a shooter. Greene had played well his prior to games with double -digit minutes, and that is destroyed by a poor two minute stretch that was actually better than Wiggins' first two minutes of the game, as an example? That is not rational.

Your overly dramatic criticism of Greene is comical ... "Once Greene left the game, Kansas went on to play our best game of the year ..." You say that as if Greene being out of the game propelled us to playing our best game of the year. Do you seriously expect anyone to take that sort of statement seriously? Why would you type it? Do you take it seriously? What is the point? Good grief.

With that kind of logic, we should play Perry Ellis the 12 minutes he played yesterday since we played our best game of the year. Right?

So tell me, Suzi .. look into your crystal ball. Would Greene have hit 2 of 3 three pointers the second half, or more maybe played like he did in the two games before? Hmmm. Evidence says that the two minute stretch might have been an anomaly when compared to 30 combined minutes of solid play in the prior games.

I'm not defending Greene's play yesterday at all. What I am doing is saying that a player like Greene might just deserve to be given a little rope, perhaps another opportunity in the game. That might inspire the young man, it might show confidence, it might .. dare I say .. cultivate his development. Greene had given 30 minutes of solid play, doing what Self is asking him to do (as Self had admitted); then he makes a silly turnover and it's all gone. 30 minutes vs. 2 minutes. That is not rational.

What we did get was 6 minutes of useless play from CF, and a missed 3 (again, surprise, surprise). The guy didn't even play vs. UNM.

Suzi Marshall 7 months, 1 week ago

HEM, I just stated the facts as I see them. Nothing more should be implied by my statements. Greene certainly does have potential, no doubt, but like Mason he may not be ready for prime time. As for as Greene's prior couple of games, he did much better in them vs earlier games. However, given all that, I don't see that he separated himself from AWIII in those games. Self already had Wiggins ready to go in after Greene's turnover but his quick 3 probably earned his seat on the bench the balance of the game.

It should be very clear to everyone Self is looking for combinations. Self is one of the best with a proven record. Those Morningstar comments were moronic. You sound like a first class idiot when criticizing Self's decisions.

Mick Allen 7 months, 1 week ago

Was Mason ready for prime time against Duke? Nadiir is playing well the last 3 games, but if he falls off or the shoulder injury becomes a concern how can you say Mason isn't ready for prime time? He played very well against Gtown. Four assists and one turnover, the same numbers as Nadiir in about half the playing time. Mason has been criticized on this site for taking it to the cup too often and not distributing to an open teammate. He is a very clever passer as demonstrated by the lob to Selden for the flush. As stated before, if he has a weakness it is his jump shot. On the biggest stage to date, the Duke game, he certainly showed his readiness for prime time. Suzi give the kid a break, you have been unjustifiably hard on him all year.

Suzi Marshall 7 months, 1 week ago

Mick, I love Mason and think he has great potential. He works his tail off and has a great attitude. Duke ran mostly a man D at us but going against more complex D's, such as the various zones (i.e. UTEP's triangle and two,, UF and CU). he simply does not have the experience to deal with them. He needs to develop his vision and the ability to make others play better. He is coming along and played much better against a tough GT team. I really loved his dimes against GT, especially his lob to Selden! He's never played PG and it shows. Self will bring him along masterfully.

I'd take Mason any day over KY's Harrison!

Jack Wilson 7 months, 1 week ago

Well there you have it. You are in the Self is God camp. Another member. Can't criticize Self. A moron if you do. Don't question Self's decision.

If one can't view strategy and in-game decisions with a critical eye, what does that make that person?

That makes one a cheerleader. I don't wear a skirt. I don't carry around pom-poms. Do you? (figuratively, of course).

Self isn't always right. No one is.

And, of course, you're just flat out wrong on Wiggins being ready to go in. Go to 12:45 first half. Greene turns it over, they score, Self walks right to Wiggins and sends him to the scoring table. But don't let facts get in the way of posting whatever you want.

Further, you make no comment on the lack of logic regarding your statement on Greene. We play our best game of the season when Ellis only play 12 minutes. Why not just limit Ellis' playing time? Right, it's not logical. But post whatever suits your narrative.

Suzi Marshall 7 months, 1 week ago

What in the world are you talking about? You seem to read into statements a preconceived notion. We both state correctly when Self planned to take Greene out. What is "flat out wrong?" The rest of your statement makes no sense.. It is just a fact that after Greene went out, we went on to play one of our best games of the year and Self has a proven continuous record for excellence.

Walter Bridges 7 months, 1 week ago

We were just waiting for Greene to have a "breakout" performance... kind of like Tarik Black.

Or maybe Self expects Greene to have made more three-point shots than turnovers or maybe 27% just doesn't cut it when he isn't performing well in other areas of the game.

Walter Bridges 7 months, 1 week ago

"I don't just post positive stuff after wins."

An admiral point. But in the best game we've played so far this year I prefer looking for positives. Kansas will start heading back into competition for a #1 seed.

Mike Riches 7 months, 1 week ago

Fantastic game today! I love going into the Christmas holiday on a winning streak! I loved seeing Wiggins come back and nail that three after the minor confrontation. Great players have the ability to raise their game to another level and we've seen that from Wiggins in the Florida game down the stretch and then another glimpse of it today. That could be big for us in March in the way Carmelo was big for Cuse in '03 (speaking of opening old wounds). Everything seems to be slowly but surely coming together for this team...I'm excited to see what kind of improvement they make over the break!

Dirk Medema 7 months, 1 week ago

We need to plant someone to chant "overrated" or otherwise get Wiggins pissed at every game. The dude can be just killer. Just seemed a bit sloppier than usual most of this game.

Craig Carr 7 months, 1 week ago

Just know we have the best in and out of the game coach, second guessing Self is laughable. If someone deserves to play and Coach Self believes they will help the team win in the moment they will be on the court, if not then they sit until they prove otherwise.

Kye Clark 7 months, 1 week ago

The "Self is God" crowd chiming in early for Sunday worship.

Dirk Medema 7 months, 1 week ago

"Our two leading scorers probably had about as poor a first half offensively as they’ve had in a long time and we scored 44 points. So those are positive things. I think we’re getting better.”

Great quote and great depth.

Gerry Butler 7 months, 1 week ago

ya maybe wiggins, and perry show little emotion, that's true, not the case with joel its ok either way as far as I'm concerned we have both on the team, you have perry and wiggins not so emotional, then we have joel, jamari. and others that are good mix, perry lets his game do his talkin for hhim. love Andrews response right after altercation simply goes out and drains a three like enough said lol. I no sooner commented on tarik yesterday sayin e was going to need him to produce at some point and BAM look what he does yesterday he has just GOT TO avoid the fouls so quick and he will be fine just needs to continue to buid off yesterday we will be fine GO HAWKS