Friday, December 13, 2013

Former KU O-line coach Grunhard returns to Bishop Miege

Offensive line coach Tim Grunhard works with his players during a morning practice on Thursday, April 19, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

Former Kansas University offensive line coach Tim Grunhard was not out of work long.

Twelve days after resigning from his post with the Jayhawks after spending two seasons working in Lawrence, Grunhard was announced as the new Bishop Miege High offensive line coach by Stags coach Jon Holmes.

Grunhard, who was the head coach at Bishop Miege for six seasons prior to joining Charlie Weis’ staff at Kansas, enjoyed a lot of success at Miege and helped put several of his players at Div. I programs throughout the country.

Although his new salary figures to be a mere fraction of the $150,000 per year he made at KU, it also figures to be a better fit given that Grunhard will have four children enrolled at Miege next year, including two sons who play on the football team.

Six leaving Florida

According to a story by Jeff Barlis of ESPN.com, six players are leaving the University of Florida football program to pursue playing opportunities elsewhere.

While the report did not mention Kansas as a possible destination, it makes sense to speculate that Lawrence could be a landing spot given the fact that Weis spent the 2011 season as Florida’s offensive coordinator and coached a few of the departing players. Weis also has shown that he is more than willing to bring in transfers.

The most intriguing player of the bunch is 6-foot-5, 306-pound offensive lineman Ian Silberman, who will graduate this month and, therefore, would be free to play immediately at his new school. Silberman, a junior reserve guard who once was ranked as the No. 3 offensive tackle in the high school class of 2010, made seven career starts at Florida.

The others named in the report are: red-shirt freshman fullback Rhaheim Ledbetter, 5-9, 219; true freshman quarterback Max Staver, 6-6, 238; sophomore tight end Kent Taylor, 6-5, 224; and freshmen offensive lineman Quinteze Williams, 6-4, 280, and Trevon Young, 6-4, 272.

Visinia targeted

Grandview (Mo.) High offensive lineman Apa Visinia, who committed to Kansas last June, recently had an in-home visit with the Oklahoma State coaching staff, which offered him a scholarship. Despite continued interest, the 6-5, 380-pound Visinia relayed his commitment to KU via Twitter, saying simply, “I’m still a Jayhawk!”

Visinia recently met with new KU offensive line coach and offensive coordinator John Reagan and told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com that he was impressed.

“His resume is very good,” Visinia said. “I can’t wait to get up there and get to work with him.”

Comments

Dirk Medema 1 year ago

Saw the ESPN article on the former gators. Could be interesting. Some day, one of these guys might just pay dividends on the investment.

Brett McCabe 1 year ago

Glad to see Grunhard back with his kids.

Though we've been down the transfer road before, there are some guys in that Florida group that look intriguing. Matt is right that the senior transfer at OL could be valuable for us. Of course, we could use QB, TE and OL help for sure. Given his experience with previous transfers, I'm thinking that CW will be able to make better evaluations on these guys.

Brett McCabe 1 year ago

Also glad to see that Visinia is still committed!

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year ago

Why not ?? Any one of these kids could walk right in and put KU back in the spotlight. I hope Charlie and Reagan can bring them all to KU.

Lance Cheney 1 year ago

I know, I'm just playing around. I say it with a bit of sarcasm, since we haven't had very good luck with our other D1 transfers. I'm actually of the belief that one of these guys has to come in and make a difference eventually.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year ago

i have to agree with you on the luck KU has had with CC & D-1 transfers. Martin was a real joke along with the Dream Team kid. Next year will be a turn around for KU. Sticking my head out on this one. 8-4 season !!

Chris Bailey 1 year ago

Aaron Paisley 1 year ago

The kids that are transferring aren't likely to be the high impact caliber of player otherwise they would already be starting or their previous school would do everything to keep them. I would say that Mike Ragone had a very solid year for KU last year in helping the running game be as dominant as it was. I don't know if the 5th year OLine recruit would be the dominant force that a lot of people would expect because he came from Florida, but he would likely be someone who could be a solid player for KU and have a decent shot at starting. As for the other players, if Florida wanted them, obviously there's some talent there and the potential for greatness, but the question again becomes why is Florida letting them leave? Transfers should be viewed like JuCo players, these aren't the guys who are going to come in and be star players (except in rare cases), but these are the kind of players that are excellent for depth and to go out there and do their job well. I have no problem with Weis wanting to bring in transfers, but the problem is people tend to hype these kids up that transfer out from bigger schools and expect them to go to the smaller school and be an all-conference player when that's rarely the case. Much more likely is these are the foundation block type players and not the face of the program type players.

Lance Cheney 1 year ago

Remember Arthur Brown for K-State the last few years? He was a transfer from Tennessee, I believe, and I'm pretty sure he was All-Big 12, maybe even first team. And I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. Yes, it is a rarity, but maybe we'll be able to get lucky with one of them.

Chris Bailey 1 year ago

No he was from Miami. His brother Bryce was from Tennessee. And how did Bryce work out for the cats? Also not sure any of these kids are top recruits. Sure we had Crist and Heaps but both were benched and we saw their bodies of work. So for every Arthur Brown I'll give you a Heaps, Crist and Bryce Brown.

Lance Cheney 1 year ago

Okay, Miami. Who is closer in caliber to Florida than Tennessee is anyway. My point is that just because somebody transfers doesn't automatically make them a flop. I'm not saying they'll be studs, but don't rule them out just because they're a transfer.

Chris Bailey 1 year ago

Let's add McCay to the list too. He was invisible for the most part this year. He was a four star or five star depending on what service you looked at. And I never said that they would flop but if they were that good the school would go above and beyond to keep them. We need to not expect any of them to come in with the STAR label placed on them. If they earn a spot on the 2 deep great. If not we've wasted yet another scholarship.

Billy Smith 1 year ago

So the Grunhard move is starting to look like a publicity stunt. "I'll just go to KU, and coach till my sons are on the football team." 150 grand for that offensive line performance? I'm in the wrong profession. Definitely an example of getting by solely off of his name.

Chris Baker 1 year ago

Publicity stunt? Sounds to me like he just wasn't cut out for the new job he had, or maybe Weis needed someone to go in order to explain away the offensive woes of this past season, and needed to make room for Reagan once he made it clear that he was interested in returning to Lawrence to be closer to his kids. I can't imagine that Grunhard was anxious to give up his head coaching job at a prominent football high school to be an O-Line coach for just two years (with an awesome salary) and then go back to being just an assistant high school coach afterwards. I mean, how much publicity could anyone have really gotten from that?

Aaron Paisley 1 year ago

Definitely not a publicity stunt. Grunhard is a competitive guy (you don't become a Pro Bowl player otherwise) and I'm sure he would've loved to have become a college or NFL head coach one day. It just didn't work out for him for whatever reason. Also, if you're going to blame Grunhard for the 2013 OLine, then he also deserved credit for the 2012 OLine that could run on anybody.

Suzi Marshall 1 year ago

Best anticipated football news so far. If Kansas could land a few good OL guys, we are in business. We are in great shape with our D, sound with the RB, receivers and QB. We might be able to field a consistently competitive football team for the first time since '09. Crusty might be right about that 8-4 mark. For now, I'll be happy as hell with 6 wins and a bowl appearance.

Aaron Paisley 1 year ago

Please explain how KU is currently sound at WR or QB?

Chris Bailey 1 year ago

Yeah that comment is laughable! Sound? At what? We sure as hell can't catch the ball and we sure as hell can't get open. Our QB situation proved how dismal it was by starting a true freshman. Yeah nothing on that side of the ball is sound.

Chris Bailey 1 year ago

You need to hear this as well! You are joking me right? When are we going to stop predicting? We have more of a chance of going 0-12 than we do 8-4. Look I want us to improve but these crazy predictions without a proven QB and god help us at receiver one guy can't do it all. Our Oline is in shambles and we have a new OC. Yeah the new OC is a positive thing but who knows how quickly the kids will respond to that. I'm not predicting anything. 4 straight seasons we've had the Kool-aid poured down our throats and right now I'm spiting it back up. We need to see some sort of consistency before I utter anything resembling a prediction on wins and losses. IMO the predictions need to stop! Predict consist play and prove that we can put that on the field then spout your predictions all you want but as for now we are nowhere near a 8 win team much less a winning season team.