Monday, December 9, 2013

Jayhawks drop out of top 10 in new AP poll

Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins, front, and Frank Mason leave the court following a game-winning three pointer by Colorado guard Askia Booker on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013 at the Coors Events Center in Boulder, Colorado.

Kansas University’s men’s basketball team dropped out of the top 10, down to No. 13, in the latest AP Top 25, released Monday.

The Jayhawks (6-2), previously ranked No. 6, lost for the second time in three games Saturday at Colorado, where Askia Booker’s buzzer-beating three-pointer sent KU home with a 75-72 defeat.

Kansas moved to as high as No. 2 in the poll after beating Duke (7-2, now No. 8) in Chicago, on Nov. 12.

The latest AP poll, topped by new No. 1 Arizona (9-0), is occupied by both teams that beat the Jayhawks this season: No. 10 Villanova (9-0) and No. 21 Colorado (9-1).

KU plays at No. 19 Florida at 6 p.m. Tuesday night.

AP Top 25 — Week 6 (Dec. 9)

1. Arizona, 9-0
  20. Gonzaga, 8-1
  21. Colorado, 9-1
  22. Massachusetts, 8-0
  23. Iowa, 9-1
  24. Missouri, 9-0
  25. San Diego State, 7-1

Comments

Thomas John 4 months, 2 weeks ago

And after the Florida game, maybe this team should not even be ranked. Too many turnovers tonite and acted like they have never seen a zone defense.

Beau Woolsey 4 months, 2 weeks ago

People are sleeping on selden he gets the ball the least of the starters and he is probably our best driver because of his build.

On a side note

Did a Kansas fan sleep writ Jack Harry's mom, what's wrong with the guy.

Armen Kurdian 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Gregg Marshall's philosophy is what I espouse...play angry. Not hateful angry, but righteous angry, like the other team has no business being on the same court with you. I think it's just a lack of aggressiveness on our part, but that would be helped with some better open shooting beyond 13-14 ft. I wish we were playing a patsy tonight, because these guys need practice shooting threes and long jumpers.

Tony Bandle 4 months, 2 weeks ago

My congratulations to you all for your rational, logical posts...I, on the other hand, irrationally think not being in the Top Ten SUCKS!!! What Pi$$es me off is that the ranking is indeed earned and reasonable.

The Hawks better get their act together over these next five games and the Xmas break because conference play will be here soon and we had better be ready.

Also, I will bear the brunt of criticism and printed abuse with full knowledge of what I am about to say......I am beginning to see the possibility of this team never coming together in championship form and ending up a lower seed who will be gone afterr two rounds in March.

Lord God in Heaven, I hope I am dead wrong!!!!!!

Preston Dwiggins 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Since someone brought MU up, let me say this...I would rather lose to CO and have MU's bball team beat UCLA again than have their football team beat Auburn and be in the national title game.

Back to Hawk's bball. Taking a dip does nothing, but help our young squad realize this isn't high school anymore Todo. Time to bear down and play Kansas basketball. This will build character and hopefully getting the most our of our squad sooner than later. They needed to be hungry and if they weren't they should be now. RCJH!!!

Suzi Marshall 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey Keegan, shame on you for leaving WSU off your ballot.

Kevin Huffman 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Can at least have a little Big XII pride in Baylor inching back up and ISU steadily climbing since the season started.

4 in the Top 17 out of a 10-team conference is reflecting well on the conference & UT & OU not doing too bad either.

Kevin Huffman 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Beau. Selden had ZERO assists in the game.

He was actually my biggest "goat" IN THAT GAME on Sat.

Honestly, I think the one who needs to be given more time and opportunities given the glowing, raving reviews Self had for him a month or two back is AW III. We've all thought that he could really shoot it....let's see it. I think he's more ready to D up and/or NOT turn it over at this point than Greene who would be the other choice.

Beau Woolsey 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Selden could do everything frank can do he just isn't given the ball enough

Cody Stumma 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Wichita State keeps winning yet drops a spot?

Robert Brown 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Before Wiggins this team was a projected Top 15-20 team which was probably inflated because we are Kansas. This is a completely new team and it is going to take some time for them to jell. Beating Duke, while great, probably did not help the development of this team. Some people were actually talking about an undefeated season.

A lot of people point to the UK championship in 2012 as a new model for winning championships. I tend to think that was more of an aberration. What UK experienced last year is more typical of what you would expect with a young and extremely talented team. UK this year has also had ups and downs.

I always felt bad for Wiggins. He seems like a humble kid, but the expectation were way too high for him. There is now way he can live up to those expectations.

I don't think the sky is falling because I trust Coach Self. I remember two years ago after we lost to Davidson wondering if we would finish 4th in the Big 12. That team made it to the championship game.

Mark Lindrud 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Colorado should've been ranked sooner. play Lucas, bench black. time to figure out the rotation

Andrew Horigan 4 months, 2 weeks ago

It sucks to lose both games by three pointers like that at the buzzer, but they are young and will be much tougher come conference time. This brutal early season schedule should get them ready for conference play.

Scut Farkus 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I can not disagree with the comments above, but I have to admit I'm a little concerned over the lack of developmental progress. Frankamp, Black and Greene should only be on the floor for mop up duties. Lack of steady point guard play, terrible rebounding, no outside shooting and completely ignoring the post pass are troubling. The positive? Bill Self is still the coach.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Looks right to me. We might lose tomorrow night and drop again.

Erich Hartmann 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I got no problem letting the kids' collective team psyche see us fall out of the top10. Maybe if we got RBDS vs Colo. we would have given ourselves 5-7 more possessions, and also limited the opponent by those 5-7 possessions (less opps for them), which is a 10-14 possession swing.

Funny how all the little things that Self figured out long ago, takes time to teach to each group of kids. Kids that could score at will in high school, simply cannot do that as easily anymore. ...And, if you turn it into a scoring trackmeet (like UNC-style), that doesnt work either, as what u gonna do when your shot's not falling? No, sir--> you dont see KU get handed 20+ point blowout losses under Self. Got to play D. Bother the other guy's offense. That is Self's ball. That is why we are "in" every game. So analytically, it really does come down to the little things. And that is truly the heart of the issue for most Self teams, because we all know it is NOT for lack of talent. Its all about what that "talent" is doing/not doing on the hardwood.

Parker's Duke been beat twice.

Wiggins/Selden's KU lost twice.

Harrisons'/Randle's KY lost twice.

NOW is the time to learn by getting shot down, not in March...

Waylon Cook 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Something isn't right. But better now than to have the 3 game skid like last year.

4 months, 2 weeks ago

At least we are ahead of MU

Asad Zoberi 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I see drop in ranking for this young team at this time of the year as a positive:

1. Take off some pressure