Friday, December 6, 2013

Football prep still committed to KU

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

When Class of 2014 center Jacob Bragg first heard that Kansas University offensive line coach Tim Grunhard was leaving, it took a second for him to process what had happened.

“Coach Grunhard was a big part of the reason I committed to Kansas,” Bragg said during a recent interview with the Journal-World. “I understand why he left and don’t hold any grudge.”

Although the news changed the look of Bragg’s future, it did nothing to change the relationship between the two centers. Grunhard, who stepped down after two seasons at KU in order to spend more time with his family, reached out to Bragg the night his resignation became public, and it was that gesture along with a Monday visit from KU head coach Charlie Weis that encouraged the eighth-rated center in the country to stick with his commitment to Kansas.

“KU’s been loyal to me, and I’m going to show them the respect they deserve,” Bragg said.

Grunhard helped the Nacogdoches (Texas) High prospect see that his departure did not change any of the good things KU has to offer.

“I talked to him the night that it was announced,” the 6-foot-4, 308-pound Bragg said of Grunhard. “He said that Kansas needs me for the position and that Kansas is the place for me. Everything’s still good and that he’ll be coming to the games and giving me little tips here and there. He won’t be my coach, but he’ll help me if I need it. It’s comforting. It didn’t really surprise me that he’d say that. It fits him. He’s a nice guy, a caring coach.”

The visit from Weis helped reinforce to Bragg that picking Kansas made him part of a football family, and that, too, was comforting.

“It just shows me that he cares about me, and he wants me,” Bragg said of Weis and the visit. “I love the fact that he came down and saw me. It shows me that he’s committed to me.”

As is typical with any change of this magnitude, several other coaches and programs contacted Bragg following the news about Grunhard to see if they could persuade him to change his mind. Although Bragg said that part of the recruiting process was frustrating, he was not surprised.

“I’ve been dealing with that since I committed,” he said. “It never really stopped. You just have to control yourself. I’m (committed to) KU so I’m not really worried about it. As of right now, I’m just going to stay quiet, not make any big decisions and meet the new O-line coach, and if I like him I’ll stay.”

Bragg, who was selected to play in the Jan. 2 Under Armor all-star game, will make his official visit to Lawrence next weekend.

Comments

Brett McCabe 9 months ago

Grunhard goes out with class. No surprise there. I still wish that it had worked out for him here.

Glen Miller 9 months ago

I was really hoping Grunhard would be around for a while. As a Chiefs fan and KU fan, it was an awesome day when we snagged him to coach our O-line. I hope that his departure really was just because he didn't have the time to dedicate needed and not because he was pushed out the door. One season with an all new offensive line was going to create some ups and downs. Here's hoping that Grunhard and his family get to spend more time together and that he is able to stay in touch with the program a bit.

Ethan Berger 9 months ago

I think it's huge keeping this kid. Heck we have a guy playing in the top high school all star game. When was the last time we had a high school football guy play in one of the premier all star games?

Erich Hartmann 9 months ago

I hope Bragg is the type of center that Tim Grunhard was.

Aaron Paisley 8 months, 4 weeks ago

That last sentence of Bragg's quote doesn't sound like he's 100% on board yet. It sounds like he's waiting to meet Reagan before officially staying at KU.

Brett McCabe 8 months, 4 weeks ago

His only other offer is La Tech. If we can't hold onto this guy then we might as well join the Big East.

Jennifer Bragg 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Actually he has several other offers, many closer to home and to teams with much better records! I also anticipate those offers to increase significantly based on the number of schools currently keeping contact with him. Luckily this kid sees something special in KU despite attending a game where the KU fans that sat right behind him spent the entire game running down their own team, coaches and school. If that doesn't run a kid off I'm not sure what will!

Brett McCabe 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Well, I'm a graduate of KU, a long-time season ticket-holder and a proud Jayhawk. If KU is the right school for your son/brother/nephew then he should definitely come. If not, I wish him the best!

Charles Bell 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Correct me if Im' wrong, but didnt' Urban Myer leave Florida because he wanted to spend more time with his family as Grunhard claims? Hello people, anybody home? Grunhard was a winner and hes leaving. Get a freakin clue!