Monday, December 2, 2013

KU lands commitment from juco offensive lineman Keyon Haughton

Talk about calming the waters.

Just a day after offensive line coach Tim Grunhard officially resigned his post, Kansas University coach Charlie Weis and the KU football program picked up an oral commitment from Georgia Military offensive lineman Keyon Haughton.

Haughton, who confirmed his commitment to Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com, becomes the third offensive lineman in the Class of 2014 to commit to the Jayhawks. He joins high school prospects Jacob Bragg, a three-star player from Nacogdoches (Tex.) High, who ranks as one of the top centers in the country, and Apa Visinia, a two-star player from nearby Grandview (Mo.) High.

The 6-foot-2, 300-pound Haughton was in town for his official visit last weekend. He attended the K-State game and told Kirby in an update last weekend that he liked Kansas and he would likely make his final decision following Georgia Military's appearance in the juco national championship game.

However, an early morning visit from Weis and running backs coach Reggie Mitchell on Monday impressed Haughton so much that he committed on the spot and later told Kirby he was thrilled with his decision.

"The visit there went good," said Haughton, who was hosted by Georgia Military graduate Keon Stowers. "I liked the camaraderie with all of the players and how they stand by each other. Kansas has good, loyal fans. I liked the coaches on the team. I liked the school a lot.”

Haughton chose Kansas over offers from Florida A&M, Louisiana Lafayette, South Alabama, Southern Miss and Troy. Several other schools were starting to show greater interest in recent weeks due to the fact that Haughton figures to be a mid-year transfer and likely will report to campus in January.

Haughton was joined on his visit by Georgia Military teammate Devon Williams, the team's 6-5, 335-pound starting left tackle.

"They're looking at me as a left tackle," Williams told Kirby before his visit to Kansas. "They told me they like how physical I am and how I block down on the linemen. I am really looking forward to my visit and seeing what Kansas has as a program. I want to see their facilities and how I fit in."

Williams has offers from several of the same schools as Haughton and also is receiving interest from Auburn, Kentucky and Tulane.

Haughton's commitment pushes KU's total of committed players in the current class to 10 and there's room for at least that many more.

Joining the O-Linemen in the current class who have committed to KU are: 6-2, 197-pound defensive back Joe Dineen; 5-11, 182-pound wide receiver Bobby Hartzog; 6-3, 235-pound defensive end Damani Mosby; 5-11, 171-pound wide receiver Tyler Patrick; 6-4, 245-pound defensive end Austin Stevens; 6-0, 226-pound linebacker Kyron Watson; and 6-0, 180-pound running back Traevohn Wrench.

KU's coaching staff, including Weis, will be on the road recruiting until Dec. 14.

Comments

Terry N Tom Denner 4 months, 2 weeks ago

What we have here is the lack of communication !!! Get a QB that can throw and WR's that can catch !!!

Nathan Wilcome 4 months, 2 weeks ago

We might be losing 60% if the starters but we're bringing back a lot more experience than we did this year. Hopefully over the offseason it clicks for the guys. Smithburg, Fusimalohi, and Fondal are getting their first full offseason with experience under their belt. Admire, Lewandowski, and Martin get another offseason with plenty of experience. Then you have guys like Bloomfield, Beckman, and Connelly who have red-shirted or already had a redshirt. That's a lot of returning talent, 6 of which has starting experience. Hopefully a full offseason can help improve the ones who haven't had one and helps the ones who have get a lot better.

Robert Brock 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Thank goodness that we were able to beat out Troy for somebody.

Dickless Head 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Suzi did the Lord bless with you with big breasts? Honestly its what every male poster, including Tait, are wondering. Female sports fans who are knowledgeable are rare and very desireable. Could u post a pic of yourself in a two piece? My fear is youll turn out to be a sinner in terms of gluttony and have cucumber breasts. That would kill my fantasy and everyone 3lwes. Since I know your real name I suppose I can google you, facebook you and find out wha5 I need to know. If youre as desireable as we all hope, maybe we could meet up and talk KU hoops in a bar sometime. After a few shots, I can pay for a motel room and we can make a night of it. Let me do some checking on you and ill let u know. All men.

Mark Lindrud 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Keep bringing in the hogs. Get us some receivers now.

Brett McCabe 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Seems like a guy who could come in early, take a redshirt and then provide good depth on the O-line.

Good to hear that we have another one coming in for a look. Also good to hear that Reggie is out with Charlie....seems like good things happen when he's involved with recruiting.

Jim Jackson 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Tait, any estimate as to how many players we can take this year?

Jim Jackson 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Nice work! I wonder what their HS recruiting offers/ background was like? Any news, Tait?

I know Devon Williams was looked at by big time programs in HS; I assume his grades were not very good hence the juco route.

Keep the jucos coming! Rock Chalk!