Friday, August 30, 2013

Hiawatha football recruit Peyton Newell picks Nebraska

Peyton Newell, a 6-foot-3, 280-pound defensive end out of Hiawatha, announced his decision to attend Nebraska during a Friday press conference at his school and on Twitter.

Newell, who had Kansas as a finalist after trimming his original schools list from 34 to six to four, picked NU over KU, Kansas State and South Carolina.

Newell is listed as the 16th-best defensive end and fourth-best player in the state of Kansas, according to Rivals.com.

Comments

Ted Adams 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I know this much. We won't hear anything about this kid until four years from now when he finally suits up for his redshirt Junior season. He won't even sniff the field until then. The only chance he has otherwise is if Pellini resigns or gets fired.

kugrad93 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Amazing how every kid who doesn't pick KU gets ripped on this board. Let's see, KU has won TWO of its last 34 conference games, and Bill Snyder will be 78 when this kid graduates from college (or 79 if he takes a red-shirt year). Meanwhile, Nebraska has won or tied for first in its division four of the past five years.

UPNYA 7 months, 2 weeks ago

If he was a JUCO kid or Div 1 transfer we would have got him!

johninkc1 7 months, 2 weeks ago

JayhawkinAustin, I get it but unless we quit accepting that we won't get players from Kansas because there are more "successful' programs to go to, we are never going to be relevant in football and I am frankly tired of accepting less than excellence. I think our coaches and current players feel the same way. Our campus is second to none as far as beauty and we can offer immediate playing time for some of these players that may never get PT until they are juniors or seniors elsewhere.

Doug Cramer 7 months, 2 weeks ago

We needed this guy. Why ? Because he is a talented D-lineman...and we can't seem to get talent on the d-line.

Al Martin 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Good grief. I'm as bad a KU homer as the next guy, but: 3-9, 2-10, 1-11. Honestly, what are the odds that Nebraska will be a solid program for the next four years? What are the odds that KU will be?

I mean, looking historically, the odds are that we'll fire this coach in a couple of years and be back in the slop again. I certainly hope not, but who can blame a kid for picking a place that has had one losing season in the last, what, 50 years, over us?

Until we start winning more games than we lose, we should figure we're going to lose some of these high profile kids, and just celebrate like heck when we get one.

johninkc1 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Let's summarize. Kansas & K-State should not loose in state recruits in any sport to other colleges. KU must be competitive in all sports, not just Men's Basketball and Women's Track & Field, then athletes will choose us, not some former conference school with a history but I doubt much of a future in the NC picture.

ShockHawk10 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I noticed a brief reference to Blake Bell in this thread, and I believe this deserves more attention. Blake Bell is arguably the best Quarterback to come out of a Kansas high school in many, many years. He may also have been the most sought after recruit for a really long time. KU and KSU were beating down his door trying to sign this athlete out of Wichita Bishop Carroll High School. However, just like Newell, Bell snubbed the in-state schools for the glamor of a high profile program. Look where it got him. He will continue to toil away on the bench for the Sooners. While he will get looks in the "Belldozer" package, his true talents will not be on display this year or next (the starting job went to a freshman). Had he selected either KU or KSU, Bell could have been a four year starter. I know this is pure speculation, but I don't think it's a reach either. I only hope for the best for Newell; however, there is a strong chance he goes the way of Bell. Our highly recruited high school football players need to think long and hard about their futures. KU and KSU offer gifted athletes an opportunity to play and play early. These athletes will be able to showcase their talents on the field while demonstrating the growth and maturing process that takes place over a four year period. KU and KSU have also proven that, while not national powerhouses, we place our share of athletes on NFL rosters. Again, I hope for only the best for Newell. However, he'd better be prepared to sit for a year or two, or in the case Blake Bell, his entire college football career.

Mark Lindrud 7 months, 2 weeks ago

We are still a step below NU. They've got tradition and consistently go bowling. It's like how our basketball team gets better players than NU. At least Weis is trying to bring in talent and I'm certain he won't quit trying. We need to win, go to bowl games and then we can win more of these battles.

I don't want to hear about traitors and so forth because you take the good with the bad. Support our team and the players that step on the field for us.

jayhawkintx1973 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Just in case you missed it, Kansas State lost to North Dakota State in Manhattan tonight 24-21.

Randy Bombardier 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Traitor. What else can you say? Do guys like him and braden smith realize or care that if the best talent in the state would stay home we could eventually win a Naty. So frustrating.

johninkc1 7 months, 2 weeks ago

NU just doesn't impress me post Osborn and even he took a dive in my book on the way out of the Big 12 Conference. I am not saying that NU is a horrible program, I am saying that they no longer dominate college football. No National Championships lately. Unfortunately, the sec has done that lately not the big 10.

55jayhawk 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I can't be sure Payton made a mistake until a few years go by and it doesn't work out at Neb. I wish him the best and hope he has a good career and gets his degree which is the most important thing today! I'm sure there were a lot Nebraska folks up there near Hiawatha that influenced him, hell we got Gale from Omaha and I'm guessing we are still ahead on that comparison. Rock Chalk and looking forward to homecoming and K-Club in October

bville_hawk 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Bo Pelini is the biggest gomer this side of Hooterville. I can't imagine any recruit being impressed with him.

Janet Scott 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm guessing Newell didn't want to play with Charlie's "pile of crap". But then, playing for Bo Pellini ain't much better: Bo is a frick'n nut job.

Terran Woolley 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Just be hoping thy get a better coach next year? Pelini has been given the ultimatum....BCS or gone. Don't see it happening ever with OSU and Meyer being eligible again.

Edward Coan 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I had a NU fan admit to me recently that the Huskers will never return to the glory days and they have gotten use to 8-4, 9-3 seasons. I don't think they are that much above us and Pelini has NEVER taken them to a BCS bowl.

JHWKDW 7 months, 2 weeks ago

You win some you lose some! Nebraska is in one of the top 4 conferences (B1G, SEC,Pac, ACC) this will happen at times with us being in the lousy Big XII-2.

I wish he had chose us but still I wish him the best.

Hey we have got some good recruits. As in life for all people you do not always get everything you want in life. Lets focus on what we got.

Jim Jackson 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Guys, we have that stigma of being a basketball school coupled with the fact that we have not had much success the past 10 years excluding the 07 and 08 bowl games.

We are always going to have to go the JUCO route for the state's top players and I am more than happy with that as Snyder turned one of the worst programs in the country into national title contender with JUCOs.

Let this kid go to Nebraska, I'd rather have 20 year old JUCO men.

Rock Chalk, we are going blowing this year

jayhawk5125 7 months, 2 weeks ago

You are really calling this kid a traitor? How about being happy for the kid? Jesus...

I am a KU fan, but grew up in Nebraska. Half my family went to KU so it has always been 50/50. Weird I know.

But Jhox you are wrong on playing time, their could be an opportunity for Newell to play in 2015. The defensive line depth at Nebraska is very thin.

I wanted Newell to be a Jayhawk as bad as the next guy, but to bag on the kid is poor. Nebraska had a kid go to Stanford in this class (Harrison Phillips from Millard West) and he got praise from Nebraska fans.

jhox 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Traitor. Enjoy the arctic North and playing for the most obnoxious coach in America.

He would have been on the field much sooner at KU as well. I don't get these kids going to Nebraska. If a top 5 program came calling I could understand it, but Nebraska hasn't been relevant in years. Last I checked KU has won as many BCS bowl games as Nebraska, and I think they've even been to one more recently than Nebraska.

Jack Joiner 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Let's schedule Nebraska and beat the hell out of them!

iamakufan 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I wish him the best but I suspect he passed up an opportunity to stand out and get that important media attention, not to mention the opportunity to improve under the tutelage of KU coaches and Hosopple. Still, I wish him the best for his future.

Robert Brown 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Are some people seriously trying to argue that Nebraska is not a better program than KU or even K-State? I am not a big fan of Pelini or the team, especially after they started left the conference, but NU is a solid program, more so than either KU or K-State, which is going to have to deal with a post-Snyder world in the not so distant future.

Andy Hess 7 months, 2 weeks ago

So much for family, huh Peyton? Traitor.

mcrckchlk 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I just had to answer 10 fast-food restaurant questions in order to read a three sentence article. I seriously hate these surveys. How long until LJW gets the hint?

pooflingingmonkey 7 months, 2 weeks ago

"Which automotive brands do you consider "innovative" and why? " So now I have to write a brief essay to access the articles. What, no questions from the MCAT or the bar exam were available?

jayhawk5125 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Newell basically said that it came down to relationships with the coaches. And how the entire Nebraska staff, offense and defense were reaching to Newell wanting him to be a Husker. No other school did that.

Ralster Jayhawk 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Who said every 18yr old that plays football always makes smart choices? Its OK, we can treat him like a juco player: When he sees the light, we can take him as a transfer 1-2yrs from now.

johninkc1 7 months, 2 weeks ago

NU might have been a good choice years ago, but what have they done lately. Bowling for sure but really no longer a major player in college football. I agree with Kingfisher, should have stayed home and played for KU or at least KSU.

Brett McCabe 7 months, 2 weeks ago

For the fourth-best prospect in Kansas, he had a pretty impressive list of schools.

This is going to sound like sour grapes, but unless you are a 5-star guy with almost certain pro potential, I'm not sure I understand the value of going to Nebraska. You will have no job marketability in your home state after college. Frankly, no one will care because you didn't play for anyone that Kansans root for.

A kid from Hiawatha, who goes to KU and stars, will have a wide-open job market in the KC-Lawrence metro.

I wish him the best of luck but I think that it is a bad choice.

Phil Leister 7 months, 2 weeks ago

"Have you ever dated someone of a different race?"

These survey questions are getting out of hand.