Originally published August 28, 2013 at 11:51p.m., updated August 29, 2013 at 11:15a.m.

Wayne Selden makes most of camp trip

Blue team guard Wayne Selden dunks against Red team forward Landen Lucas during a scrimmage on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

photo

Kansas University freshman Wayne Selden says picking KU was an easy choice once he visited for Late Night in the Phog.

Wayne Selden headed to the 2013 adidas Nations camp determined to soak up as much knowledge about the game of basketball as possible.

On hand as pro instructors for the Aug. 1-5 event at Long Beach (Calif.) City College were current and former NBA players Kenneth Faried, Eddie Johnson, Damian Lillard, Don MacLean, Ralph Sampson, Iman Shumpert, Reggie Theus and LaSalle Thompson.

“I learned a lot of things. All the NBA help we had there was really good,” Selden, Kansas University's 6-foot-5 freshman guard from Roxbury, Mass., said Wednesday after taking part in a photo shoot for the Journal-World’s upcoming preseason basketball magazine.

“We went out there to compete and try to get better,” Selden added of himself, plus KU teammates Perry Ellis and Joel Embiid. “We felt we did a good job of that.”

Selden, who started classes at KU on Monday with his 17 Jayhawk teammates, just might have been unofficial college MVP of the counselor games at adidas Nations, which is a skills academy for top high school players.

“The single individual I came away most excited about, even though his name was spelled incorrectly in the program (Seldon), incoming Kansas freshman Wayne Selden,” wrote Michael Levin of SB Nation. “He has the frame of an NBA two-guard already and he’s only 18. Tremendously compact handles, excellent jumper, plays within himself, great body control, beautiful eyes ... he really has it all.”

“Great week for Wayne Selden,” tweeted Jonathan Givony of draftexpress.com. “One of the top performers here. Made shots, scored in transition, defended, played under control.”

“KU guys Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis have been two of the most impressive performers here,” wrote nbadraft.net.

Selden played on a team that included UCLA’s Tony Parker and Kyle Anderson, Cincinnati’s Sean Fitzpatrick, Louisville’s Russ Smith and Buffalo’s Javon McCrea.

Other college camp counselors included Baylor’s Isaiah Austin, Oklahoma State’s LeBryan Nash, N.C. State’s T.J. Warren, Arizona’s Kaleb Tarczewski, UConn’s Ryan Boatright and many others.

“His body. That’s a big guard. Just how strong he is. He can do whatever he wants, really,” KU’s Ellis said of what impressed him most about Selden.

Selden said he’s glad to be back in Lawrence for this week’s start of the school year after a few weeks back home. He attended KU summer school in June and July.

“All the older guys for sure,” Selden said of the players who have been helping him the most in his adjustment to college. “Naadir (Tharpe), Jamari (Traylor), even Tarik (Black, senior but in his first year at KU) has been a really good leader. All the older guys help the freshmen a lot.”

There has been one shocker since an unseasonably mild June and July.

“Oh, it’s hot,” he said of scalding late-August temperatures. “It doesn’t get this hot in Boston. It’s hot out here. It’s good to be here. Everybody’s excited to be here.”

Milt hired by Wolves: Former KU guard Milt Newton, vice president of player personnel of the Washington Wizards the past 10 seasons, has been hired as general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Washington Post reports.

Flip Saunders, the Timberwolves’ president of basketball operations, will continue to have final say over personnel decisions but “needed an experienced executive to deal with scouting and other aspects of running a team,” the Post reports.

According to the Post, Newton “created the Wizards’ comprehensive scouting database, led pre-draft efforts and conducted workouts for prospects. In his time with the Wizards, Newton has also been heavily involved in charitable efforts and assisted with the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders delegations in South Africa and Senegal.”

Newton was a member of KU’s 1988 NCAA title team.

Adams out at Ohio: Former KU guard Anrio Adams has been dismissed from the University of Ohio basketball team, the Athens Messenger reported.

“After meeting with Rio, we’ve agreed that it’s in his best interests to pursue his basketball career at the junior college level,” Ohio coach Jim Christian told the Messenger. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors."

Woub.org originally reported Adams' dismissal was related to an assault charge in Seattle, but later the public media organization issued a correction, saying it was Adams' father who was connected to the assault charge.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Whats wrong with complimenting Wayne Selden: He's got an A-rated game, and is a cool-looking dude. I liked the facts he played under control, but that "control" doesnt seem to slow down his game. Good decision-making is critical to a motion/hi-lo offense like Self's. This guy will thrive on the hardwood, and could be another "poster child" for KU basketball. Tough, skilled, athletic, and intelligent/well-spoken...yet another Self recruit to demoralize foes with...

wyansas 7 months, 3 weeks ago

What's with the kid in the Longhorns shirt in the picture?

Scott Smetana 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Just gotta surprise email that my application for final 4 tickets was selected via lottery!!! Come on Hawks!!!

jaybate 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Calling OakvilleJHawk, come in please...

Oak, please go to YouTube and search "David Macaulay cathedral;" then watch it. While you are watching it every time they say cathedral substitute Pentagon. Its very informative. While I know you will already thoroughly understand the building techniques, you might find the organizational and enterprise analogy and the project life cycle phasing interesting.

BPSkelly 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I havent had tremendously compact handles since my KU days. It's good to know along with Waynes beautiful eyes however he maybe damn near unstoppable. Oh yea, and that Wiggins kid too.

Should be a fun year.

Tony Bandle 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Wayne "Seldom Miss" Selden gives KU so much potential firepower along with Andrew, Perry, Tarik, Jo Jo, Conner, etc. that we might have to change our mascot to the Kansas Hydras, the multi-headed monster of Greek mythology!!

Mike Bratisax 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I was working on my postgraduate degree at FIU and Milt was playing in a game with the Boston Celtics at the school's basketball stadium. These were all players hoping to get picked up by an NBA team. I cannot remember if Milt was playing for the Celtics or for the other team whose name I cannot remember either. I was about 5 feet behind him when I called his name and congratulated him for the 1988 championship and also identified myself as a Jayhawk. Milt seemed to appreciate the recognition and after a very brief conversation, I continued on my way.

Nothing earth shaking but still a good memory. No Milt, no 88 championship.

Hawk8086 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Selden is impressive in many ways. But I think his most impressive attribute is his court vision. You can't teach that. He's got the whole package and he can be the 2nd ball handler that Self likes in his system. All the comments you hear about him lead me to believe that the chance of him being around for only one year are increasing. We'll see about that, but I will thoroughly enjoy seeing him play for however long he is around.

William Blake 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Cool, calm and collected... all that just in his eyes!

But seriously... Wane looks like a guy who doesn't rattle easy. I bet he won't come out and play like a freshman... maybe more like a sophomore.

mdalesh 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Coming to Late Night for the first time since my Sr. Year ('79). Going to the T-Tech game the next day. In other words I'm going to be in Lawrence overnight. My question is where do I go. The Spirit in the Oprah House, Bill Gray's Jazz upstairs, The Bird in N. Lawrence? Been back to the Hawk & Wheel briefly for old time sake on past BB Game visits. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

William Blake 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Wane Soldon is definitely the man to watch this year!

Go Wane!

Jack Wilson 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I mean this in all seriousness, there is no reason why Adams can't play Juco ball, transfer to a D-I, play in the NBA, and be the next Dwayne Wade.

Ok .. maybe the last part isn't serious. But the world has not ended for Adams. It may end up being a much needed "maturity" moment. How many kids are really mature at age 19? Some need to be a bit more humbled than others. Noting Adams' apparent personality, being humbled significantly may just be the cure.

Harlan50 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I never get tired of nostalgic KU moments, Jake. At 65, I can still remember specific moments from the 1950's and 1960's. Share as many as you want!

Mark Lindrud 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I've been telling people that Selden would be a stud and he was the newcomer to watch coming in. We all know how great Wiggins is, but we've got our Batman and Robin on the floor next year with those two. It's going to be an exciting season, can't wait!

wrwlumpy 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Today from the SHIVER. Perry Ellis highlights from last year.

Tony Bandle 7 months, 4 weeks ago

"...beautiful eyes" for those of you uninitiated in "scout talk' obviously is a complement to Wayne's court vision...the abilty to see the whole court simultaneously, thus picking up open lanes of penetration, breaking teammates for quick passes and clear shooting spots.

Still....just like Robin Smith, I almost choked on my Egg McMuffin I laughed so hard!!

Cameron Cederlind 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Selden's eyes . . . almost as good as Withey's butt

Jonathan Allison 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Funny also, that they misspelled his name in the program. I'd guess about a third of the poster's on this site misspell it on a routine basis. It's getting better, though.

The comment about his eyes made it a little bit creepy, but I've definitely never seen light brown eyes like that before.

oldalum 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Apparently that news report about Anrio's arrest was a case of mistaken identity. It sounds like the problem was more likely that he couldn't make his grades and has gone to junior college instead. I think the classroom was a challenge to him. Remember how long it took him to get approved? I hope this works out for him.

Matt Spitzli 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm looking around, and it looks like the Anrio Adams arrest story may be bogus. Probably want to double check that guys.

Brett McCabe 7 months, 4 weeks ago

The entire OSU bball team just went to change their underwear.

Robin Smith 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm so stoked about this team!

Hurinfan 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I like the bit about Selden's eyes. They are beautiful.

jakejayhawk 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Sad news about Rio. I hope and pray he finds the help he needs to get on the right path.

That is such cool news for Milt. He has earned this with his loyal work on a number of basketball levels. He spent some years with the US Olympic program and has moved all the way to NBA GM. Way to go Milt! One of my all-time favorite Jayhawks. I still remember how unsure he played as a frosh. It seemed impossible to imagine him ever contributing in a meaningful way. And then he exploded his junior year. At times he seemed unstoppable.

There was a series of plays in the '88 semi-final against Duke. Milt got a fast break and flew down the left side of the lane to lay it up. A Duke defender caught up and fouled him on the shot. But wait! The ref who had a clear view of the play didn't call a thing. Milt looked astonished. Unbelievably, Milt stole the ball again soon thereafter and went flying down the left side of the lane. Once again, a Duke player caught up, hoping to disrupt the shot. This time Milt was having none of it. And he wasnt going to put it in the hands of the ref. Rather then laying it up or finger-rolling it in, Milt exploded to the rim and put in a savage jam. I just about lost it; going from the anger when nothing was called to watching him challenge anyone in the arena to stop him. Is it any wonder we won that championship with players like Milt who simply refused to lose? Sorry if this old guy's slobbering fondness for nostalgic Jayhawk moments was too much to stomach.