Originally published August 28, 2013 at 11:51p.m., updated August 29, 2013 at 11:15a.m.

Wayne Selden makes most of camp trip

Blue team guard Wayne Selden dunks against Red team forward Landen Lucas during a scrimmage on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

photo

Kansas University freshman Wayne Selden says picking KU was an easy choice once he visited for Late Night in the Phog.

Wayne Selden headed to the 2013 adidas Nations camp determined to soak up as much knowledge about the game of basketball as possible.

On hand as pro instructors for the Aug. 1-5 event at Long Beach (Calif.) City College were current and former NBA players Kenneth Faried, Eddie Johnson, Damian Lillard, Don MacLean, Ralph Sampson, Iman Shumpert, Reggie Theus and LaSalle Thompson.

“I learned a lot of things. All the NBA help we had there was really good,” Selden, Kansas University's 6-foot-5 freshman guard from Roxbury, Mass., said Wednesday after taking part in a photo shoot for the Journal-World’s upcoming preseason basketball magazine.

“We went out there to compete and try to get better,” Selden added of himself, plus KU teammates Perry Ellis and Joel Embiid. “We felt we did a good job of that.”

Selden, who started classes at KU on Monday with his 17 Jayhawk teammates, just might have been unofficial college MVP of the counselor games at adidas Nations, which is a skills academy for top high school players.

“The single individual I came away most excited about, even though his name was spelled incorrectly in the program (Seldon), incoming Kansas freshman Wayne Selden,” wrote Michael Levin of SB Nation. “He has the frame of an NBA two-guard already and he’s only 18. Tremendously compact handles, excellent jumper, plays within himself, great body control, beautiful eyes ... he really has it all.”

“Great week for Wayne Selden,” tweeted Jonathan Givony of draftexpress.com. “One of the top performers here. Made shots, scored in transition, defended, played under control.”

“KU guys Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis have been two of the most impressive performers here,” wrote nbadraft.net.

Selden played on a team that included UCLA’s Tony Parker and Kyle Anderson, Cincinnati’s Sean Fitzpatrick, Louisville’s Russ Smith and Buffalo’s Javon McCrea.

Other college camp counselors included Baylor’s Isaiah Austin, Oklahoma State’s LeBryan Nash, N.C. State’s T.J. Warren, Arizona’s Kaleb Tarczewski, UConn’s Ryan Boatright and many others.

“His body. That’s a big guard. Just how strong he is. He can do whatever he wants, really,” KU’s Ellis said of what impressed him most about Selden.

Selden said he’s glad to be back in Lawrence for this week’s start of the school year after a few weeks back home. He attended KU summer school in June and July.

“All the older guys for sure,” Selden said of the players who have been helping him the most in his adjustment to college. “Naadir (Tharpe), Jamari (Traylor), even Tarik (Black, senior but in his first year at KU) has been a really good leader. All the older guys help the freshmen a lot.”

There has been one shocker since an unseasonably mild June and July.

“Oh, it’s hot,” he said of scalding late-August temperatures. “It doesn’t get this hot in Boston. It’s hot out here. It’s good to be here. Everybody’s excited to be here.”

Milt hired by Wolves: Former KU guard Milt Newton, vice president of player personnel of the Washington Wizards the past 10 seasons, has been hired as general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Washington Post reports.

Flip Saunders, the Timberwolves’ president of basketball operations, will continue to have final say over personnel decisions but “needed an experienced executive to deal with scouting and other aspects of running a team,” the Post reports.

According to the Post, Newton “created the Wizards’ comprehensive scouting database, led pre-draft efforts and conducted workouts for prospects. In his time with the Wizards, Newton has also been heavily involved in charitable efforts and assisted with the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders delegations in South Africa and Senegal.”

Newton was a member of KU’s 1988 NCAA title team.

Adams out at Ohio: Former KU guard Anrio Adams has been dismissed from the University of Ohio basketball team, the Athens Messenger reported.

“After meeting with Rio, we’ve agreed that it’s in his best interests to pursue his basketball career at the junior college level,” Ohio coach Jim Christian told the Messenger. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors."

Woub.org originally reported Adams' dismissal was related to an assault charge in Seattle, but later the public media organization issued a correction, saying it was Adams' father who was connected to the assault charge.

Comments

jakejayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Sad news about Rio. I hope and pray he finds the help he needs to get on the right path.

That is such cool news for Milt. He has earned this with his loyal work on a number of basketball levels. He spent some years with the US Olympic program and has moved all the way to NBA GM. Way to go Milt! One of my all-time favorite Jayhawks. I still remember how unsure he played as a frosh. It seemed impossible to imagine him ever contributing in a meaningful way. And then he exploded his junior year. At times he seemed unstoppable.

There was a series of plays in the '88 semi-final against Duke. Milt got a fast break and flew down the left side of the lane to lay it up. A Duke defender caught up and fouled him on the shot. But wait! The ref who had a clear view of the play didn't call a thing. Milt looked astonished. Unbelievably, Milt stole the ball again soon thereafter and went flying down the left side of the lane. Once again, a Duke player caught up, hoping to disrupt the shot. This time Milt was having none of it. And he wasnt going to put it in the hands of the ref. Rather then laying it up or finger-rolling it in, Milt exploded to the rim and put in a savage jam. I just about lost it; going from the anger when nothing was called to watching him challenge anyone in the arena to stop him. Is it any wonder we won that championship with players like Milt who simply refused to lose? Sorry if this old guy's slobbering fondness for nostalgic Jayhawk moments was too much to stomach.

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

From the Danny and the Miracle days I like to think of Milt as being the Alpha Miracle.

Jack Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

As another "old guy" > have Phog's autograph ~ never a need to apologize for helping 'old' and 'newer' Jayhawks relive the plethora of incredible moments in the second-to-none Kansas University basketball history. Maybe us "old guys" may enjoy reminiscing just a tad more.

Hurinfan 1 year, 1 month ago

I like the bit about Selden's eyes. They are beautiful.

Robin Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

that comment about his eyes made me laugh so hard!

and yes, they are striking.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 1 month ago

Have you ever stared into his eyes? It was like the first time I heard the Beatles.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 1 month ago

My daughter made the same comments about Selden's eyes.

Maybe he is able to mesmerize the opposing guard with just a glare to help him blow past for easy baskets. Coach to player after giving up a layup to Selden-"What happened?" "I don't know, I got distracted by his beautiful eyes"!

Benz Junque 1 year, 1 month ago

I am fairly certain he was commenting on his eyes from a basketball standpoint, but go ahead with your awkward moment...

All of the film I have seen on Selden highlights what great COURT he has (hence the "beautiful eyes" statement). For a kid that can shoot and finish as well as he can, he is also gifted with great passing skills. I think he and Wiggins are going to be a finely tuned machine together by year's end and will have some of the most memorable highlights that KU fans have seen in a long time.

Above all else, I have no doubt in my mind that we will NOT be hearing Coach Self talk about Selden like he did about Rush and McLemore and how they needed to be more aggressive. He will have the confident attacking skills that Okie State star Marcus Smart highlighted last season. I see Selden as "Marcus Smart with a better jumper".

That fact that we will get to enjoy both Selden AND Wiggins at KU next is borderline insane. It's gonna be a fun year, folks!

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

LOL! Hahaha yah it does sound kind of funny in that context. Of course the guy means his court vision but still. Freudian slip there.

Robin Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

It actually is about the beauty of his eyes rather than a comment on his court vision. I verified it with the source of the quote.

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

Me freekin too man! These guys really could win it all this year if the basketball gods like us enough as they did in 08. I am super excited to see what this team can do and super impatient for it to start!!!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

The entire OSU bball team just went to change their underwear.

VaJay 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks. I needed a good laugh today!!

Matt Spitzli 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm looking around, and it looks like the Anrio Adams arrest story may be bogus. Probably want to double check that guys.

oldalum 1 year, 1 month ago

Apparently that news report about Anrio's arrest was a case of mistaken identity. It sounds like the problem was more likely that he couldn't make his grades and has gone to junior college instead. I think the classroom was a challenge to him. Remember how long it took him to get approved? I hope this works out for him.

TheDeepEnd 1 year, 1 month ago

I have heard from a friend at Ohio that Rio's dad (same name) was actually the one arrested, but that Rio himself has been dismissed for a variety of other reasons.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

Funny also, that they misspelled his name in the program. I'd guess about a third of the poster's on this site misspell it on a routine basis. It's getting better, though.

The comment about his eyes made it a little bit creepy, but I've definitely never seen light brown eyes like that before.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll quote someone on here a few weeks back who said he seldem misspells his name.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 1 month ago

Selden's eyes . . . almost as good as Withey's butt

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

"...beautiful eyes" for those of you uninitiated in "scout talk' obviously is a complement to Wayne's court vision...the abilty to see the whole court simultaneously, thus picking up open lanes of penetration, breaking teammates for quick passes and clear shooting spots.

Still....just like Robin Smith, I almost choked on my Egg McMuffin I laughed so hard!!

PVJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Oak, I was going to say I have compact handles, great body control, and beautiful eyes, so maybe I could play in the NBA!

Robin Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

funny thing: the comment really is about his eyes (see above)

Have you actually seen scouts use that phrase before?

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

Today from the SHIVER. Perry Ellis highlights from last year.

Keith Kienzle 1 year, 1 month ago

Nice highlights, but why does the video start with a close up of Releford with Ellis' name on it?

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 1 month ago

I've been telling people that Selden would be a stud and he was the newcomer to watch coming in. We all know how great Wiggins is, but we've got our Batman and Robin on the floor next year with those two. It's going to be an exciting season, can't wait!

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

Selden and Wiggins equates to Ali and Sugar Ray teaming up.
Selden and Wiggins are both bad men. They can both float like butterflies and sting like bees. Come March our backcourt will be nigh unstoppable. Our front court impregnable and unbreakable like Patton's 7th Army. (thx Jaybate)

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 1 month ago

I never get tired of nostalgic KU moments, Jake. At 65, I can still remember specific moments from the 1950's and 1960's. Share as many as you want!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

I mean this in all seriousness, there is no reason why Adams can't play Juco ball, transfer to a D-I, play in the NBA, and be the next Dwayne Wade.

Ok .. maybe the last part isn't serious. But the world has not ended for Adams. It may end up being a much needed "maturity" moment. How many kids are really mature at age 19? Some need to be a bit more humbled than others. Noting Adams' apparent personality, being humbled significantly may just be the cure.

Benz Junque 1 year, 1 month ago

You are implying that he has been humbled... I would think being shown the end of the bench at Kansas would do it. Or being shown the DOOR at Kansas would do it. Or having no other good programs bring you in after leaving Kansas would do it. Or...

Knuckleheads will always be knuckleheads. Adams problems seem to be more than just a maturity issue. There are a lot of immature kids out there that aren't shooting themselves in the foot. It's just a shame to see someone waste their talent.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

I see what you did there...sorry, though, PVJayhawk is still the posting of the day!!!

mdalesh 1 year, 1 month ago

Coming to Late Night for the first time since my Sr. Year ('79). Going to the T-Tech game the next day. In other words I'm going to be in Lawrence overnight. My question is where do I go. The Spirit in the Oprah House, Bill Gray's Jazz upstairs, The Bird in N. Lawrence? Been back to the Hawk & Wheel briefly for old time sake on past BB Game visits. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hawk8086 1 year, 1 month ago

Selden is impressive in many ways. But I think his most impressive attribute is his court vision. You can't teach that. He's got the whole package and he can be the 2nd ball handler that Self likes in his system. All the comments you hear about him lead me to believe that the chance of him being around for only one year are increasing. We'll see about that, but I will thoroughly enjoy seeing him play for however long he is around.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

I was working on my postgraduate degree at FIU and Milt was playing in a game with the Boston Celtics at the school's basketball stadium. These were all players hoping to get picked up by an NBA team. I cannot remember if Milt was playing for the Celtics or for the other team whose name I cannot remember either. I was about 5 feet behind him when I called his name and congratulated him for the 1988 championship and also identified myself as a Jayhawk. Milt seemed to appreciate the recognition and after a very brief conversation, I continued on my way.

Nothing earth shaking but still a good memory. No Milt, no 88 championship.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

Wayne "Seldom Miss" Selden gives KU so much potential firepower along with Andrew, Perry, Tarik, Jo Jo, Conner, etc. that we might have to change our mascot to the Kansas Hydras, the multi-headed monster of Greek mythology!!

Brian Skelly 1 year, 1 month ago

I havent had tremendously compact handles since my KU days. It's good to know along with Waynes beautiful eyes however he maybe damn near unstoppable. Oh yea, and that Wiggins kid too.

Should be a fun year.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Calling OakvilleJHawk, come in please...

Oak, please go to YouTube and search "David Macaulay cathedral;" then watch it. While you are watching it every time they say cathedral substitute Pentagon. Its very informative. While I know you will already thoroughly understand the building techniques, you might find the organizational and enterprise analogy and the project life cycle phasing interesting.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 1 month ago

Just gotta surprise email that my application for final 4 tickets was selected via lottery!!! Come on Hawks!!!

wyansas 1 year, 1 month ago

What's with the kid in the Longhorns shirt in the picture?