Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Self: Jayhawks may change autograph policy to limit sales

Eight-year-old Jackson Noland waits as Kansas freshman Wayne Selden signs his T-shirt during an autograph session for attendees of Bill Self's basketball camp Sunday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s basketball players typically sign hundreds of autographs — for fans young and old — after each and every game in Allen Fieldhouse.

The Jayhawks need up to 30 minutes to traverse the line outside the northwest tunnel and satisfy most everybody desiring their signatures.

That setup — orderly as it is — might have to be altered a bit in the wake of a scandal at Texas A&M, allegedly involving quarterback Johnny Manziel receiving money for signing items that have shown up for sale on the Internet.

“We’re going to have to change,” said KU coach Bill Self. “Our kids are so accessible because after every game they sign autographs and things like that. I don’t want to be the bad guy, but I’m sure we’re going to have to have an athletic department policy. You can’t sign unless you personalize it (as the KU football players did at Fan Appreciation Day).”

Personalizing an autograph on an item decreases the value of the item.

“I personally think it could get to the point because it’s abused so much — you’ve got people that are selling things from these kids that sign, and you know who they are for the most part — maybe you can’t sign for anybody other than a child. Or maybe you can’t sign for anybody outside the building after the games,” Self said. “Everywhere we go, we get off the bus, there’s people waiting for us. We’re going to have to change how we do things. I’m sure the compliance office will come up with a game plan for that.”

Two professional autograph seekers awaited the arrival of freshman Andrew Wiggins the afternoon of June 15 at Jayhawker Towers. Accompanied by a KU staff member to his apartment after landing at Kansas City International Airport and driving to Lawrence, Wiggins did not sign that day for those autograph seekers.

Response to lists: Self was asked his reaction to an offseason ESPN poll of 250 college coaches that named KU assistant Kurtis Townsend the No. 1 recruiter of all assistant coaches in the country and Self the No. 2 recruiter of all head coaches and No. 4 Xs and Os coach.

“You could ask Kurtis about this, but that means absolutely nothing, less than zero. I haven’t even read what you are talking about,” Self said. “I have no idea. I’m sure it was some blog, maybe a family member wrote it. I don’t put too much stock in that stuff,” he added with a laugh.

Predictions: Lindy’s Magazine ranks KU fourth in the country in its preseason college basketball magazine, soon to hit stores. Michigan State is No. 1, followed by Kentucky, Duke, KU, North Carolina, Ohio State, Louisville, Florida, Oklahoma State and Michigan. The top four teams will compete in the Champions Classic on Nov. 12 in Chicago. KU is sixth in the Sporting News’ preseason top 10. Kentucky is No. 1, followed by Michigan State, Louisville, Duke, Arizona, KU, Michigan, Syracuse, North Carolina and Oklahoma State.

Comments

Preston Dwiggins 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think KU needs to worry about the public meetings between the fans and athletes in AFH after games. Keep the player's out of secluded hotel rooms (like Johnny football) with collector's and all will be fine. Let's no overreact here folks.

Michael Luby 7 months, 2 weeks ago

My question is this fellow Hawks. Will each and every player have to sign a ball "To so and so, then their signature? If so, that is no good. I don't want my name on a ball 15 times. Im good with it once to personalize the ball but 15 times? shakes head Hmmm no.

nuleafjhawk 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I've never really understood the whole autograph fascination. It just doesn't register to me why I would want someone else's signature on anything. I get that people make a lot of money that way, but that's not a great reason in my mind to do it.

Having said that, I actually DID get one autograph a few years ago. I had taken my nephews to see KU vs MU and after we stomped them into an unrecognizable mess, the boys wanted to stick around after the game and get some autographs. I sighed heavily and resigned myself to the two hour wait. Ol Roy was the coach back then and he was signing autographs right along with the players. I watched as he handled extremely bratty kids and overbearing parents with such grace and charm. I was so impressed with the way he handled these people and the whole situation that I thought " I'm gonna get that guy's autograph just because of the way he's treating these people ". I told him that too, and he kind of chuckled, but seemed genuinely appreciative.

I still hated his guts when he bailed on us though. lol.

jaybate 7 months, 3 weeks ago

As the late Bob Hope might quip were he still with us, "Hey, I gotta tell ya. I'm just glad these players can actually write an autograph."

jaybate 7 months, 3 weeks ago

jaybate 7 months, 3 weeks ago

The NCAA can solve this problem easily. Just tell the players to carry ink stamps and sign only with ink stamps. This way the little kids get their autographs, and the school and NCAA get their PR work in. And its easier for the players.

Next, use the player's ink stamp to print out 10k ink stamped papers. List the stamped papers on EBay.

Huge supply will drive the speculative value to zero.

End of problem.

ckjayhawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

A friend of mine met Mickey Mantle. It's a great story and whenever he tells it someone invariably asks if he got Mantle' s autograph. My friend's response, "I remember it. I don't need a piece of paper to prove it happened."

Armen Kurdian 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Dag-nabit. There goes my way of living. Maybe I can find some sort of ink-dissolving fluid fo the personalization part. Was gonna buy me a boat.

Ian Emerson 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Sad to hear about Anrio, his ego really wrote checks his work ethic just couldn't cash. If he had. Good head on his shoulder he would have maybe been a back up this year, or if Selden was oad after this season he would have been an integral part of the teams future.

William Blake 7 months, 3 weeks ago

If you want to slow the underdeveloped talent from leaping OAD to the pros, then let them make some cake in college. They can ease any poverty burdens or youthful gratification needs and can get an education in the process. Less pressure to turn pro before they are ready.

Let kids be kids... enjoy the college experience before growing up to be burdened with all the responsibilities of adulthood.

The KU experience comes but once in a lifetime! I wouldn't trade mine for all the tea in China. What about any of you?

The NBA and NCAA have teamed up to ruin the college experience for these gifted athletes.

William Blake 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I think it is immoral for the NCAA to regulate and restrict these kids' autographs and photos.

I know they get a free ride through school. They also work their tails off for it in the sports they play and risk permanent injury in the process. So it is not a free ride... they earn it.

That should be enough. Their autographs and photos are a part of them (the athletes)... not corporate chattel for the mongers at the NCAA.

It doesn't seem American to me.

jgkojak 7 months, 3 weeks ago

What if I have a couch on my porch signed by the entire KU team?

wrwlumpy 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Here is a new video, somewhat professional mixing and editing, of Andrew Wiggins that came out yesterday. Some red meat with almost a month before Late Night.

wrwlumpy 7 months, 3 weeks ago

The biggest matchup in the SEC-BIG 12 challenge isn't looking that big any more

.RockChalkTalk ‏@RockChalkTalk 2h
RT @gatorhoops: Report from @gatorcountry that three more basketball players will be suspended to start the season. No official confirmation

Nathan Scholl 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Anyone else think Johnny Manziel should be banned for at least this year? Look at what his stupid actions have done nationally. As a kid, my favorite part of going to the KU games was to get autographs from my heroes and talk to them for a bit. So sad that one stupid kid has changed the landscape in this regard. I applaud KU for their caution, but it's a sad day.

pistolpete1 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Saw this on facebook, and thought it says a lot about Perry. Not so much that he was at the gym, but the staff that commented that he was "the nicest young man".

Steve Gantz 7 months, 3 weeks ago

It was very interesting to read the Sports Illustrated issue about Johnny Football. He described the autograph scums he learned the hard way he had to deal with. One man approached him in a restaurant in a military uniform, asking him to sign a few helmet decals that they were going to give to soldiers overseas. Johnny's dad saw the autographed items for sale on line several days later. Personalized autographs were altered, oftentimes by rubbing off the personalized part. There's more I could tell, but it was a window into the high profile world these kids, sometimes less than a year removed from high school have to wade through. Johnny has made some mistakes for sure, but the article helped expose the pressure, pressure that he's receiving counseling for, that these kids face.

Sam Constance 7 months, 3 weeks ago

THANKS OBAMA!

(kidding--we all know this is Johnny Football's fault)

Also, apparently Lindy's Sports Magazine is either based in East Lansing, or it's a worthless rag. I can't even fathom picking Michigan State #1 overall this year. Did I miss something?

nuleafjhawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I collect Unicorns. Real ones.

William Blake 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I collect thumb prints... easier to identify as 'authentic' later. There are never policies about those... and collectors will pay 10x better than an autograph because of the uniqueness. You should see Patrick Ewing's.... looks cool framed up with him in a Knicks uni.

But seriously... Self is right, and there has to be stricter policies thanks to Johnny Rocket.

Scott Smetana 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Personalize them all, and let the kids go first.

natehawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Just permit autographs for kids and let the adults wait until the athletes leave the university.

Kevin Huffman 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I think our biggest "target win" game is vs. OSU in Lawrence (I think it's also a BIG-TIME CBS game).

I think of any opponent the biggest "Target win" for an opponent is ISU against us in Ames. I don't see us winning that game this year.

natehawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Just sign autographs for kids and let the adults wait until the athletes leave the university.

dylans 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Why is it soo bad for others to sell autographs? Obliviously the players can't sell the autos, but I know many a KU fan that can't/won't seek autographs on their own, but love the ones they have purchased. Is that a bad thing?

p2d2kuhawks 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I think everyone knows what will happen.

clevelandjayhawker 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Personalizing is great, just will prob take about 3 to 4 times longer than just scribbling a signature, so will the players have to stay longer or will only a small portion of autograph seekers get served?

Dee Shaw 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I have my hotel room reserved and plane ticket bought for Chicago on November 12. What a line up of power hitters for the Champions Classic. Just needing my tickets for the games. Any idea when tickets will be available to purchase? I bet the ticket brokers will have a field day with tickets. I bet for good seats you will pay close to a $1,000 or $1,500 per ticket. Nose bleed seats, $400 per ticket. Having the games in the United Center won't be bad. The arena is very similar to Sprint Centers seating.

TexiCaliHawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

So glad to hear the Champions Classic was renewed for another tour -- really want to beat Duke to at least win one of the three games we competed in over the last few years (probably should have beaten MSU and UK was the result of a good first half/terrible second half), so we are definitely due and to see a match-up of Wiggins vs. Parker will be awesome!

That said, I am obviously more interested in rankings at the end of the year as opposed to the beginning of the year. Given the tremendous number of incoming talent (regardless of how incredibly talented they were in HS) they still have to mesh well together (i.e., buy-in to HCBS's 'Defense-first' mentality, unselfish play that is a hallmark of KANSAS Basketball, etc.), it may take awhile to establish our identity.

My guess is we'll see flashes of 'OMG . . . I can't believe I just witnessed that!' as well as a few 'stinkeroo' nights where our reality has not yet caught up with our potential. One thing I can predict with certainty is that it is going to be one incredibly entertaining ride . . .

ROCK CHALK!