Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Self: Jayhawks may change autograph policy to limit sales

Eight-year-old Jackson Noland waits as Kansas freshman Wayne Selden signs his T-shirt during an autograph session for attendees of Bill Self's basketball camp Sunday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s basketball players typically sign hundreds of autographs — for fans young and old — after each and every game in Allen Fieldhouse.

The Jayhawks need up to 30 minutes to traverse the line outside the northwest tunnel and satisfy most everybody desiring their signatures.

That setup — orderly as it is — might have to be altered a bit in the wake of a scandal at Texas A&M, allegedly involving quarterback Johnny Manziel receiving money for signing items that have shown up for sale on the Internet.

“We’re going to have to change,” said KU coach Bill Self. “Our kids are so accessible because after every game they sign autographs and things like that. I don’t want to be the bad guy, but I’m sure we’re going to have to have an athletic department policy. You can’t sign unless you personalize it (as the KU football players did at Fan Appreciation Day).”

Personalizing an autograph on an item decreases the value of the item.

“I personally think it could get to the point because it’s abused so much — you’ve got people that are selling things from these kids that sign, and you know who they are for the most part — maybe you can’t sign for anybody other than a child. Or maybe you can’t sign for anybody outside the building after the games,” Self said. “Everywhere we go, we get off the bus, there’s people waiting for us. We’re going to have to change how we do things. I’m sure the compliance office will come up with a game plan for that.”

Two professional autograph seekers awaited the arrival of freshman Andrew Wiggins the afternoon of June 15 at Jayhawker Towers. Accompanied by a KU staff member to his apartment after landing at Kansas City International Airport and driving to Lawrence, Wiggins did not sign that day for those autograph seekers.

Response to lists: Self was asked his reaction to an offseason ESPN poll of 250 college coaches that named KU assistant Kurtis Townsend the No. 1 recruiter of all assistant coaches in the country and Self the No. 2 recruiter of all head coaches and No. 4 Xs and Os coach.

“You could ask Kurtis about this, but that means absolutely nothing, less than zero. I haven’t even read what you are talking about,” Self said. “I have no idea. I’m sure it was some blog, maybe a family member wrote it. I don’t put too much stock in that stuff,” he added with a laugh.

Predictions: Lindy’s Magazine ranks KU fourth in the country in its preseason college basketball magazine, soon to hit stores. Michigan State is No. 1, followed by Kentucky, Duke, KU, North Carolina, Ohio State, Louisville, Florida, Oklahoma State and Michigan. The top four teams will compete in the Champions Classic on Nov. 12 in Chicago. KU is sixth in the Sporting News’ preseason top 10. Kentucky is No. 1, followed by Michigan State, Louisville, Duke, Arizona, KU, Michigan, Syracuse, North Carolina and Oklahoma State.

Comments

TexiCaliHawk 1 year ago

So glad to hear the Champions Classic was renewed for another tour -- really want to beat Duke to at least win one of the three games we competed in over the last few years (probably should have beaten MSU and UK was the result of a good first half/terrible second half), so we are definitely due and to see a match-up of Wiggins vs. Parker will be awesome!

That said, I am obviously more interested in rankings at the end of the year as opposed to the beginning of the year. Given the tremendous number of incoming talent (regardless of how incredibly talented they were in HS) they still have to mesh well together (i.e., buy-in to HCBS's 'Defense-first' mentality, unselfish play that is a hallmark of KANSAS Basketball, etc.), it may take awhile to establish our identity.

My guess is we'll see flashes of 'OMG . . . I can't believe I just witnessed that!' as well as a few 'stinkeroo' nights where our reality has not yet caught up with our potential. One thing I can predict with certainty is that it is going to be one incredibly entertaining ride . . .

ROCK CHALK!

Benz Junque 1 year ago

I am OK with freshman mistakes from freshmen. It was the occassional freshman mistakes from SENIORS the last few years that have been frustrating.

Bottom line, Self and staff are fantastic coaches and have always gotten players new to their roles to learn quickly. We have a bunch of new guys coming in, many of whom seem to be very intelligent individuals, so I have no doubt that Self will have them humming along by season's end.

I have no "expectations" as to how the season will end other than that I expect Kansas to be a tough out come tourney time. If KU is in the mix for teams that have what it takes to have a great shot at surviving the gauntlet of the NCAA tourney, then mission accomplished.

This year, more than any other, MY goal is to watch every game with my daughter and enjoy the show. Last year was the first year she really got into watching the games and we had a great time sharing those moments together. There will likely be a lot of "do you remember when" moments this season. CAN'T WAIT!

TheBoHawk 1 year ago

You had me at occasional mistakes by seniors...

Dee Shaw 1 year ago

I have my hotel room reserved and plane ticket bought for Chicago on November 12. What a line up of power hitters for the Champions Classic. Just needing my tickets for the games. Any idea when tickets will be available to purchase? I bet the ticket brokers will have a field day with tickets. I bet for good seats you will pay close to a $1,000 or $1,500 per ticket. Nose bleed seats, $400 per ticket. Having the games in the United Center won't be bad. The arena is very similar to Sprint Centers seating.

REHawk 1 year ago

...and sometimes it is still referred to as amateur sport.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year ago

Yeah the tickets release around October. So excited for it...

David Gisi 1 year ago

There are tickets available on stubhub now

jayhawkinATL 1 year ago

Tickets went on sale for WEF members last month. $145 for lower-level sideline seats.

Scott Smetana 1 year ago

I'm waiting to buy them also.... they'll go on ticketmaster in October. Jayhawk in ATL, what's WEF members? Wait until October, there should be a decent amount become avail. I'll be waiting to click the minute they go on sale.

jayhawkinATL 1 year ago

Williams Education Fund. Can join for as little as $100 per year pledge. I've been able to get tix early to some good events over the years.

Scott Smetana 1 year ago

REEEEallly.... like what? How about NCAAB Regional tickets? I've always wondered how to get the good seats.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year ago

Personalizing is great, just will prob take about 3 to 4 times longer than just scribbling a signature, so will the players have to stay longer or will only a small portion of autograph seekers get served?

Ron Prichard 1 year ago

The only problem with personalizing is items that have multiple signatures. I was lucky enough to get the entire 2011-12 team--including coaches--to sign a print of the inside of Allen Fieldhouse. It's one of those wraparound pictures with the entire stands full. My wife got it through someone at her work. It was only missing Self's autograph and I got that at a Hawk Talk remote. It is one of my all time favorite items. I'm not sure I would have been able to get a gift like that under the new policy. That's the downside that I see. I'm not complaining, just lamenting that things have actually gotten to this point.

p2d2kuhawks 1 year ago

I think everyone knows what will happen.

dylans 1 year ago

Why is it soo bad for others to sell autographs? Obliviously the players can't sell the autos, but I know many a KU fan that can't/won't seek autographs on their own, but love the ones they have purchased. Is that a bad thing?

rockchalk_dpu 1 year ago

The problem isn't fans gathering autographs and selling them for their own profit, it is the risk that a student athlete signs for someone in public where it is legal, then go back to their hotel room and pick up a cut of that sale. By requiring them to personalize it, we are at least looking proactive in terms of policy so that something like the Johnny Football fiasco is less likely to happen.

It is almost impossible to completely police players' actions, but when your season could be vacated retroactively if a player is deemed ineligible, or your player is sidelined during an investigation to avoid vacating games, it makes sense for schools to protect their interests even if that comes at a cost.

natehawk 1 year ago

Just sign autographs for kids and let the adults wait until the athletes leave the university.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

I think our biggest "target win" game is vs. OSU in Lawrence (I think it's also a BIG-TIME CBS game).

I think of any opponent the biggest "Target win" for an opponent is ISU against us in Ames. I don't see us winning that game this year.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year ago

I dont see us losing any games this year, our first 6 off the bench could beat iowa state. I think watching their "fan" yell at Coach Self and the environment that game will be will be easy for our guys to get juiced.

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

If we wipe the floor with them, the floor will be all greasy....

natehawk 1 year ago

Just permit autographs for kids and let the adults wait until the athletes leave the university.

Scott Smetana 1 year ago

Personalize them all, and let the kids go first.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

Read my johnny football story below.

MSHawk0607 1 year ago

Letting kids go first does little but make people looking to profit off autographs bring their (or someone they know) kids with them. I don't think there is a good answer to this situation that doesn't come with a headache to regulate or boil down to just trusting your players are doing the right thing and stress over and over to them what is at stake if they get caught signing, or doing anything, for money. Especially with the basketball system where basically all of the punishment is on the university and the kids are off to "bigger and better" things (personally I can't think of any better than being the "favorite son" of Jayhawk nation so to speak but certainly the money gets better) this problem is always going to exist. Think Reggie Bush and the Heisman, so they took his name off the trophy, he already got the fame and celebrity of winning the Heisman and is now raking in dough playing a game while USC faced some serious consequences for the kids that remained, many of which never played a down with Reggie.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year ago

All of the kids do it for the passion, and a lot of adults do it for money and I think that is a problem

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

I collect Unicorns. Real ones.

Sam Constance 1 year ago

THANKS OBAMA!

(kidding--we all know this is Johnny Football's fault)

Also, apparently Lindy's Sports Magazine is either based in East Lansing, or it's a worthless rag. I can't even fathom picking Michigan State #1 overall this year. Did I miss something?

Dirtyphog 1 year ago

I agree, I was not expecting sparty to be "number 1", I think it's because they return a majority upper class while the other top 5 have a good amount of youth??just trying to rationalize

Hawk8086 1 year ago

You can make a case for MSU as well as anyone else. They have a lot of experience (and talent!) coming back. Appling, Harris, Payne, Dawson, Nix. Those are all good players. The same team that beat us last year (yes......I know it was early and we didn't play well) will all be back. Plus, come on.......Izzo. I can see why someone would pick them pre-season #1.

Dirtyphog 1 year ago

True that, good point. If we didnt have bill, izzo would be next coach I'd want.. Just seems like a really cool, laid back who really cares about his players, and it doesn't hurt that he's a really good coach.. Always had respect for izzo

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

It was very interesting to read the Sports Illustrated issue about Johnny Football. He described the autograph scums he learned the hard way he had to deal with. One man approached him in a restaurant in a military uniform, asking him to sign a few helmet decals that they were going to give to soldiers overseas. Johnny's dad saw the autographed items for sale on line several days later. Personalized autographs were altered, oftentimes by rubbing off the personalized part. There's more I could tell, but it was a window into the high profile world these kids, sometimes less than a year removed from high school have to wade through. Johnny has made some mistakes for sure, but the article helped expose the pressure, pressure that he's receiving counseling for, that these kids face.

gratefulhawk 1 year ago

give it a few years, it will be Johnny Canadian Football.

pistolpete1 1 year ago

Saw this on facebook, and thought it says a lot about Perry. Not so much that he was at the gym, but the staff that commented that he was "the nicest young man".

Nathan Scholl 1 year ago

Anyone else think Johnny Manziel should be banned for at least this year? Look at what his stupid actions have done nationally. As a kid, my favorite part of going to the KU games was to get autographs from my heroes and talk to them for a bit. So sad that one stupid kid has changed the landscape in this regard. I applaud KU for their caution, but it's a sad day.

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

The biggest matchup in the SEC-BIG 12 challenge isn't looking that big any more

.RockChalkTalk ‏@RockChalkTalk 2h
RT @gatorhoops: Report from @gatorcountry that three more basketball players will be suspended to start the season. No official confirmation

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

Here is a new video, somewhat professional mixing and editing, of Andrew Wiggins that came out yesterday. Some red meat with almost a month before Late Night.

jgkojak 1 year ago

What if I have a couch on my porch signed by the entire KU team?

MSHawk0607 1 year ago

Oh how far they fall, seems like we may have lucked out a bit, not saying things would have been the same, but certainly its better ex-jahawks be in articles like this than current.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year ago

Pisses me off to see him waste that talent...

MSHawk0607 1 year ago

I can agree with this if we are willing to flat out say college sports is not amateur sports and basically have three distictions, amateur, college, and pro.

Although being paid due to the celebrity gained through sports is not the same as being paid to play, it is not too many degrees of separation either. Look at David Beckam's deal in soccer. It was reported he had a $250 million contract but it turns out half of it was guaranteed sponsorship essentially. Not too far a leap IMO...

MSHawk0607 1 year ago

Out of curiosity, how would this ease the leap to the NBA? Unless you are talking millions on each payroll, the NBA is always going to be greener pastures. The average NBA salary is just north of $5M. You're telling me some pizza money from signing a couple autographs is going to hold these kids over when an injury could spell a life of mediocrity or worse without the pay day? I am aware they can get insurance on themselves but even an insurance policy is going to come up short to the type of money floating around these superstar kids heads.

MSHawk0607 1 year ago

I am not disagreeing that the best option for them is to stay in school. I personally have a master's degree so obviously I value school. But I do not think the money you can make in college basically off endorsements and naming rights is ever going to be comparable to the money the NBA is flashing, especially since all that naming right money and endorsement money is there along side the NBA money as well.

In every situation there are exceptions, maybe your system keeps a kid like BMac or TRob who both had financial situations that may or may not have played a part in their decision to jump, but if I've learned anything in my career as a CPA, its that greed can get to anyone. Whether that is money greed, power greed, or just some ego driven I'm better than everyone and the way I can prove it is to be the youngest kid to ever win a scoring title in the league or what have you that goes through these kids head.

Again, I am not arguing or disagreeing, I was simply getting your take on this and how it would work or solve anything. It sounds like you are suggesting most of the pay in college come from outside sources that won't take away from the funds that the basketball and football team generate for other non-revenue sports and even some of the education budget so that part is intriguing.

As a final point, it is easy for us University of Kansas fans to sit here and make this argument as KANSAS carries with it a ton of value by itself and simply making the roster makes you a bit of a celebrity in basketball anyways, but what about a school like SMU that just snagged a top recruit from the likes of KU, Duke, UK and those kind of places that "sell themselves" as I believe HCBS put it. What about a school like Buffalo that has basically no history and no celebrity about it?

You will never see a coach make the difference in getting a recruit like LB did probably ever again, and that leads college basketball to become something completely different where the tournament is not going to be nearly as dramatic, IMO and the parts of college basketball I know at least I love, are going to diminish.

Ian Emerson 1 year ago

Sad to hear about Anrio, his ego really wrote checks his work ethic just couldn't cash. If he had. Good head on his shoulder he would have maybe been a back up this year, or if Selden was oad after this season he would have been an integral part of the teams future.

Armen Kurdian 1 year ago

Dag-nabit. There goes my way of living. Maybe I can find some sort of ink-dissolving fluid fo the personalization part. Was gonna buy me a boat.

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

Or just sell your stuff to someone ELSE named jhawks1510.

ckjayhawk 1 year ago

A friend of mine met Mickey Mantle. It's a great story and whenever he tells it someone invariably asks if he got Mantle' s autograph. My friend's response, "I remember it. I don't need a piece of paper to prove it happened."

Dirtyphog 1 year ago

Your friend is one lucky guy, that would've be awesome.. But it'd still be pretty cool to have Mickey mantles autograph with your name on it haha

jaybate 1 year ago

The NCAA can solve this problem easily. Just tell the players to carry ink stamps and sign only with ink stamps. This way the little kids get their autographs, and the school and NCAA get their PR work in. And its easier for the players.

Next, use the player's ink stamp to print out 10k ink stamped papers. List the stamped papers on EBay.

Huge supply will drive the speculative value to zero.

End of problem.

jaybate 1 year ago

jaybate 1 year ago

~Have the players give out tokens instead of autographs. Each token has a player's picture on one side and the following inscription: Sale of this token is prohibited by IRS, Best regards, "player's name."

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Public Enemas!? *giggle

jaybate 1 year ago

As the late Bob Hope might quip were he still with us, "Hey, I gotta tell ya. I'm just glad these players can actually write an autograph."

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

I've never really understood the whole autograph fascination. It just doesn't register to me why I would want someone else's signature on anything. I get that people make a lot of money that way, but that's not a great reason in my mind to do it.

Having said that, I actually DID get one autograph a few years ago. I had taken my nephews to see KU vs MU and after we stomped them into an unrecognizable mess, the boys wanted to stick around after the game and get some autographs. I sighed heavily and resigned myself to the two hour wait. Ol Roy was the coach back then and he was signing autographs right along with the players. I watched as he handled extremely bratty kids and overbearing parents with such grace and charm. I was so impressed with the way he handled these people and the whole situation that I thought " I'm gonna get that guy's autograph just because of the way he's treating these people ". I told him that too, and he kind of chuckled, but seemed genuinely appreciative.

I still hated his guts when he bailed on us though. lol.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Im a fan of getting autographs Nuleaf. Last year was my first AFH experience in 20+ years, I stayed after, bought a ball and loved having the whole team sign it for me. Got to meet them if only briefly, exchange a pleasantry or two and bring home a great great physical and memory treasure that I will keep for the rest of my years. Given the chance, I will do it again this year. RCJH!

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

Lulu - that's great if that appeals to you! I wasn't trying to knock it, I just don't understand it. (Like women - I love em, I just don't understand them!)

I collect things that other people find odd or stupid - tattoos. And old books.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

My question is this fellow Hawks. Will each and every player have to sign a ball "To so and so, then their signature? If so, that is no good. I don't want my name on a ball 15 times. Im good with it once to personalize the ball but 15 times? shakes head Hmmm no.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year ago

I don't think KU needs to worry about the public meetings between the fans and athletes in AFH after games. Keep the player's out of secluded hotel rooms (like Johnny football) with collector's and all will be fine. Let's no overreact here folks.