Monday, August 26, 2013

Bill Self’s squad ready to go

Jayhawks hold first team meeting on eve of start of school

KU coach Bill Self talks to fans at Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self and his 18 Kansas University basketball players are ready to get to work.

“Everybody is here. They all look pretty good, and they all are in good spirits. We’ll start school in the morning,” Self, the Jayhawks’ 11th-year coach, said Sunday night, several hours after the first team meeting of the 2013-14 school year.

Classes begin today at KU. Most of the Jayhawks have been off campus, spending time in their hometowns, since the conclusion of summer school in early August.

“We did a couple mandatory things you’ve got to do for compliance. We talked about sports information, training staff, went over some guidelines. The big thing was to have a meeting to make sure we are all on the same page, how to go about getting books, schedules, all that stuff. We’ll start working in the next day or two, get our schedule set up for this week,” Self said.

KU is allowed to practice two hours a week in advance of the Sept. 27 start of the season in accordance with NCAA rules.

Self said he plans to start Boot Camp conditioning the week of Sept. 16 and go just one week because of the new, early start of the season. Prior to this year, the starting date was the Friday closest to Oct. 15.

“Then we’ll take a week off and have the beginning of practice,” he said.

Late Night in the Phog will be Oct. 4.

More on Mudiay: Blue-chip player Emmanuel Mudiay soon will find out if he’s a capable recruiter.

Mudiay, a 6-foot-5 senior point guard from from Dallas’ Prime Prep Academy, who Saturday orally committed to SMU over Kansas University, Kentucky, Oklahoma State and Baylor, tells ESPN he’s going to try to get big-man deluxe Myles Turner to add the Mustangs to his eight-team list of schools.

Turner, 6-11 from Trinity High in Euless, Texas, who is ranked No. 6 nationally by Rivals.com, will visit KU for Late Night and also is considering Kentucky, Duke, Louisville, Arizona, Texas, Ohio State and Oklahoma State.

“I really want to play with a good big man,” No. 3-ranked Mudiay told ESPN.com on Saturday from the Under Armour Elite 24 game in New York. “I know Elbert Robinson (7-foot, Lakewood Centennial, Garland, Texas) and Myles Turner well. I know Myles does not have SMU on his list but maybe that can change now,” Mudiay added.

Turner was asked by ESPN why he has set up just one visit so far — to KU.

“I picked Kansas because I’ve always wanted to get out there and see the atmosphere,” Turner said. “After this event, I have school. When I get back home I’m definitely going to talk to my parents, try to get some visits set up.”

Comments

duanep5ku 6 years, 6 months ago

I was happy for Larry,when he got Emmanuel Mudiay. I just hope that is the only recruit of KU interest he gets this year.

Greg Lux 6 years, 6 months ago

Better Larry then Cal ....KU will get their share of talent with all the exposure we have gotten of late.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 6 months ago

"Hey kid, you know i coached AI right? I know what it takes to be an elite PG in the league" -- Larry Brown

Pretty strong recruiting pitch

JayDocMD 6 years, 6 months ago

"We're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man."

Michael Pannacciulli 6 years, 6 months ago

Myles will not just go to SMU becaude of Mudiay. I would expect his parents to make sure he decides for himself - not just because Mudiay "wants a great big man." If he chooses it for the right reasons then that is good. Can't bemoan that. I peraonally think that when he goes to sleep the night of October 4th he will be smiling ear to ear just envisioning himself dunking in the fieldhouse, wearing the Crimson & Blue, with the roar of the crowd and the cameras on him, and a Hall of Fame coach patroling the side...

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 6 months ago

Just my opinion, but I think if Turner is overwhelmed & loves it at Late Night, I suspect that he'll still wait and see if Embiid leaves early. Whereas, if Cl. Alexander is overwhelmed, I could SERIOUSLY see him commit right away or at least after visiting one or two other schools similar to what Embiid did.

Robert Brock 6 years, 6 months ago

Emmanuel should forget about trying to lure Myles Turner and try to attract Elbert Robinson instead.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 6 months ago

Soo.....I'm starting to get nervous that seemingly every other good bball team has gotten 2014 committments & we haven't. Duke got G. Allen, UK got Towns Jr., UNC's gotten THREE!!! Someone decommitted from 'ville though, right & IU I think. Ohio St. I think has landed two or three as well. Especially concerned about PG, even our WAY down there options (i.e., Nairn) are looking elsewere (Heard Nairn has a top 3 of IU, OU & Minnesota).

About the only schools that've been shut out so far as well that compares to KU somewhat is Florida or UCLA.

Was a bit upset that we didn't seem to recruit Perkins harder. Having said that I like that UK could get shut out in the PG game. I'd feel sad for Michigan State if they went and stole Ulis after it has seemed like a lock that he was going to East Lansing. I'm a little surprised that UK's even on Jones & Okafor's lists....too much Post-depth for Okafor to fit there and just doesn't seem to mesh well with their personalities either. I'm starting to think that we might have a real chance to land them. I'm thinking we might be their "compromise". I think Jones would prefer Duke & Okafor would prefer Illinois or Mich. State (a Big Ten school) & it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if we end up being their "compromise".

I think I COULD even live without a big if we don't land one by some chance for this class.....at least would have Mickelson after being "Hudyized" :). Who knows maybe we could excel in the '15 Class. I know we've been earlier than a lot of other schools on a LOT of the big names in that class. We've been in on Rabb for a LONG time.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 6 months ago

khuff80: What's the chance we lose all possible OADs? We know we lose Wiggins. Let's say Selden and Ellis stay. Embiid bolts.

And we get nothing in recruiting. Nothing.

Starters:

1]Tharpe

2] Selden

3] Greene or White

4] Ellis

4a] Lucas, Traylor, or Mickelson

Four rotation guys: Frankamp, Greene or White, Mason, and one post guy that loses the battle to start [either Lucas, Traylor, Mickelson].

Is that perfect? No.

But it's easily a top 10 team.

I've said that I expect us to have a down recruiting year. After a true grand slam, a double to right isn't bad. Really, if we just snag on top post player, count it a big win. If we get a top 50 perimeter guy to go with the post guy, that would still be a home run given what we have in the shed already.

The only real panic is if all top guys bypass us because of roadblocks, and we have a mass OAD-fest in the spring. That's remote. Don't lose sleep.

Evan Bilyeu 6 years, 6 months ago

If we just got Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander then we would have a great roster!

Steve Reigle 6 years, 6 months ago

I would love to see this young man at Kansas.

On another note, some of these questions want you to select your age category. Yes, I'm old, but I find it very offensive that most of these don't have an age category for my age and I thus have to select "Other or prefer not to say" or something like that. That's just plain offensive to us old geezers. A few have a "65+" category but most don't. Geez, am I really that old? I guess so.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

You're not old, just experienced ! I'm not quite in the 65+ group yet, but I am well acquainted with AARP.

wrwlumpy 6 years, 6 months ago

The competition for playing time will be fierce. Coach wants Alpha Dogs that can play defense. Boot camp won't have any barfers this year. Go to class, go to the football games, take that girl in your 9 am class to KC for diner. Enjoy college life and leave it all on the floor in every practice and every game. This is going to be a very special year. Bring on the Dukies and lets get this party started.

mikehawk 6 years, 6 months ago

I'M READY, TOO! I hope the football team can be a welcome distraction so I don't do a lot of calendar watching waiting on basketball.

Woody Cragg 6 years, 6 months ago

What, only 1 week of boot camp? Is HCBS getting soft? Anyway, as my all time fav ref of the sweet science of pugilism Judge Mills Lane would ever so eloquently speak, .......................................................... "Let's get it on!"

It's gonna be a good year Roosevelt, damn good!

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 6 months ago

The more I see of Embid the more I think one-and-done, I think Alexander and Turner commit with one being in the fall and one in the spring. Learning Cliff's gf is at KU should all but make it offical (as long as they stay together).

Evan Bilyeu 6 years, 6 months ago

Haha terrible though but I will say anways... She started dating him to commit to KU then at the start of season dumps him lol I am terrible.

CaptnMo 6 years, 6 months ago

My take aways from the under armor events this weekend: 1) Conner Frankamp could out shoot anyone in that 3- point contest with ease.

2) Myles Turner can block the ball... and he didn't even play volleyball.

3) Tyus Jones is a true floor general, especially for a game that is usually just 1 on 1.

Last note... Seventh Woods is an amazing athlete and hope KU has a shot at him.

GortHawker 6 years, 6 months ago

Ok coach Brown , you got Mudiay and I'm happy for you but no more hanky panky OK!

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 6 months ago

Playing time will be at a premium next year. We lose 3 seniors, Black, Wesley and Roberts. Of these 3, only Black will see substantial playing time and his minutes will decrease as the season progresses and Embiid, Lucas and even Traylor will see increased minutes.

The only other player that will leave for sure is Wiggins (100%). In this scenario, there will be lots of talented players coming back and only one position to fill. Now, if Embiid (50%) and Selden (50%) both leave (25%) , there are still several talented players that can take over. By all indicators, getting a degree is very important for Ellis and his family, and he will most likely stay for his junior year and either graduate early or be close enough to graduation that he can leave at that time.

Given the scenario above, I can see why players would be hesitant to sign with KU with potentially scarce playing time. By the end of the season it will be more apparent how much available time there will be, but by then, the better players will have already committed. I would be surprised if KU signs more than two players...which is likely all KU will need anyway.

Evan Bilyeu 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't know man.. At Kentucky there isn't going to be a lot of playing time there yet people keep signing.

Alex Peekeaton 6 years, 6 months ago

So why did 3 McD AAs (Johnson/Young/Lee) sign with UK when there was going to be (more than likely) someone ahead of them in the starting lineup? I can say that each of the three have come out publicly and stated they want to compete against the best players in the country on a daily basis in order for them to reach their full potential. In order to reach the next level which is the NBA, you better be at the top of your game and I think a lot of these kids are taking that view. I'm not sure if any other coaches other than Calipari uses that recruiting angle with these talented players.

ParisHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Andrew Wiggins' friend, just got declared ineligible.

In this article: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/26/florida-states-xavier-rathan-mayes-no-30-recruit-ruled-ineligible/

they say "Wiggins spent a few months at Christian Faith Center Academy, but it was as an eighth-grader. He’s already been cleared."

Does anyone know the status of the other newcomers, who's been cleared and who hasn't? Gary? Jesse?

Robin Smith 6 years, 6 months ago

No news is good news.

We would know of anyone who hasn't already been cleared seeing as how today is the first day of classes. It would be in this article too.

Dan Blomgren 6 years, 6 months ago

Read this for some added inspiration !

The 25 Most Successful College Basketball Teams Of The 21st Century, Scored By NCAA Tournament Bracket Rules Matt Lombardi

Rock Chalk Jayhawk go KU!

Joe Baker 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow- tough break for Donovan and UF:

It appears that Plan B is now the likely one. From the Gainesville Sun:

Donovan said he could not speak specifically about the 6-foot-10 Walker due to NCAA rules. His letter of intent is now null and void because he was not in school in the first day of UF classes on Wednesday.

“All I can say is that he’s not enrolled,” Donovan said before a Capital Area Gator Club gathering on Thursday. “What allows me to talk and communicate about these guys is when they are signed.”

I still find it hard to believe that uk hasn't had academic issues. Almost every program has experienced some sort of eligibility issue. The only one is Kanter and that was so obvious that not even Calipari could get around it.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

Eric Bledsoe never should've been eligible to play at Kentucky.

Evan Bilyeu 6 years, 6 months ago

Uhhhh Kansas, keep up this Kansas state??? Am I reading this right??

jayhawks1009 6 years, 6 months ago

If you guys recall, we didn't know whether or not Mclemore was to be a OAD or not until the season started. We do not know if Seldon or Embiid will be OAD's until we see them play. On another note. recruiting wise, Best case scenario is we land Jones, Okafor and Oubre. I would be willing to bet we get Oubre regardless, but Jones and Okafor are looking more and more attractive as a compromise school because Jones want to go to Duke but Okafor isnt as thrilled with Duke. More Realistically, I think we will get Turner or Alexander in combination with Oubre. Turner will sign in the fall and Alexander most likely in the spring to see for sure if Embiid goes or not. if Turner signs with us in the fall, he is essentially signing the papers for Embiid becoming a OAD. I just dont see how the two of them could play together.

Preston Dwiggins 6 years, 6 months ago

I agree with most of what everyone is saying, but there are two other guys that seem to be getting overlooked when talking about exiting AFH early for the NBA. What about Ellis and Tharpe? Ellis' game should be good enough to get looks from the NBA along with Tharpe. Tharpe's job should be pretty easy to look good this year. Tharpe also has a baby girl to provide for, which makes me wonder if he has a standout season if he will return. I think Ellis has a greater chance to leave for the NBA than Tharpe, but just taking one more step in the NBA's drafting on "potential" theory. Ellis obviously has "potential", but so does Tharpe and the world will see his skills this Fall. I see Wiggins (obviously) and Selden as OAD's.

notjustbread 6 years, 6 months ago

I am rip roaring ready to go. Oct. 29th cannot get here soon enough.