Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dallas prep Mudiay taps SMU

Former Kansas University basketball coach Larry Brown and ex-Jayhawk assistant Tim Jankovich pulled off a major recruiting coup for SMU on Saturday, landing an oral commitment from Emmanuel Mudiay, Rivals.com’s No. 3-rated player in the Class of 2014.

In an interesting development, the 6-foot-5 Dallas Prime Prep Academy senior will be attending college — likely for one year before heading to the NBA — in a package deal with his brother, Jean Michael, a guard from Western Texas College.

“We always wanted to play together. I’m going to play with my brother my freshman year,” Emmanel Mudiay said on ESPNU at halftime of the Under Armour Elite 24 game Saturday in New York.

Mudiay chose SMU over Kansas University, Kentucky, Baylor and Oklahoma State.

Mudiay is being touted as SMU’s highest-ranked prospect ever to sign at the school. Brown this season is bringing in No. 18-rated Keith Frazier, 6-5 from Dallas Kimball High.

“He is a Hall of Fame coach. He’s coached Hall of Fame players,” Mudiay said of Brown, whose SMU coach-in-waiting is Jankovich. “One day I want to be able to play in the NBA. He’s coached at the highest level. I can learn a lot from him. That’s where my heart is at. I have real respect for him.”

As far as Saturday’s game, Tyus Jones and Isaiah Whitehead were named co-MVP’s of Coney Island, a 114-109 winner over Bed Stuy. Jones, a 6-1 senior point guard from Apple Valley (Minn.) High, is considering KU, Baylor, Kentucky, Duke and Minnesota. Whitehead, a 6-4 senior from Lincoln High in Brooklyn, is considering Indiana, Syracuse, Arizona, UCLA, Minnesota and Miami.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Should have seen the Kentucky website when they (already stacked & loaded class) didnt get Wiggins. Their fans were taking shots at Wiggins and Bill Self also. Kinda ugly. At least KU fans know that Self will forge a Tournament contender with almost any level of recruit, although he certainly is an A-rated recruiter himself. Good luck to Mudiay & Coach Brown in the upcoming season. Good luck to Kentucky also. Hope all teams avoid injury.

jay381 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Congrats to LB and Jank. We do not have slots for everyone and really this decision from the kids standpoint makes sense. SMU is a top flight school in his hometown. It has a great reputation in the DFW area. His family can come see him. He gets to play for a year with his brother. LB is a legend in coaching. I totally respect his decision. Now I would not say the same about some Calipari commitments.

William Blake 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Larry is back!

This is the second best news only trailing us signing a top recruit.

Go Larry!

Michael Luby 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Im absolutely happy for LB getting the big recruits, especially over UK and Calimari. SMU will be a 5 or 11 seed this year that no one wants to play! RCJH! Ive heard that Tyus Jones and Myles Turner were wanting to play at the same school. If that's true and they both are blown away by our late night gig, then its Game On again next year!!

Jay Dogger 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Very cool.

If Frazier sticks around another year and LB can use the Mudiay signing to get some extra recruiting momentum and sign some more quality guys SMU could be a dangerous team in '14/'15.

Bryce Landon 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Any chance that Kansas and Southern Methodist schedule a home-and-home?

Jeff Kilgore 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Great to see Dallas not losing players to the East Coast as they have in the past. Good for Coach Brown.

Ron Franklin 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm thrilled to see L.B. coach at this level again with elite talent.

Janet Scott 7 months, 3 weeks ago

The package deal of being able to play with his brother sealed it. I know, as I was ready to ink such a deal many years ago when offered by the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoopel, but then realized I didn't have a brother!

BringBackMark 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Congrats to Coach Brown! Not sure OAD's are what SMU needs right now but it should be fun to follow them.

Kevin Huffman 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Last year, we landed two from Late Night (Selden & Embiid)...if we can do that again?!...we've got Cl. Alexander, Turner, Oubre & McLaughlin visiting for sure....I.e mm, I'd be ECSTATIC if we could land Cl. Alexander & McLaughlin.

Kevin Huffman 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Ummmm....we got a shot with a LOT more guys - J. Okafor, Jones, Cl. Alexander, , McLaughlin,Oubre, El. Robinson, Turner, S. Johnson (seemingly unlikely, as is R. Vaughn), Nairn, AAm. Robinson, etc.

Michael Luby 7 months, 3 weeks ago

And Bill Self's like, "Come on Larry thats not fair. Your killin me!"

Not worried though cuz we still got a big shot at Myles Turner and Tyus Jones.

Good job Coach Brown!