Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dallas prep Mudiay taps SMU

Former Kansas University basketball coach Larry Brown and ex-Jayhawk assistant Tim Jankovich pulled off a major recruiting coup for SMU on Saturday, landing an oral commitment from Emmanuel Mudiay, Rivals.com’s No. 3-rated player in the Class of 2014.

In an interesting development, the 6-foot-5 Dallas Prime Prep Academy senior will be attending college — likely for one year before heading to the NBA — in a package deal with his brother, Jean Michael, a guard from Western Texas College.

“We always wanted to play together. I’m going to play with my brother my freshman year,” Emmanel Mudiay said on ESPNU at halftime of the Under Armour Elite 24 game Saturday in New York.

Mudiay chose SMU over Kansas University, Kentucky, Baylor and Oklahoma State.

Mudiay is being touted as SMU’s highest-ranked prospect ever to sign at the school. Brown this season is bringing in No. 18-rated Keith Frazier, 6-5 from Dallas Kimball High.

“He is a Hall of Fame coach. He’s coached Hall of Fame players,” Mudiay said of Brown, whose SMU coach-in-waiting is Jankovich. “One day I want to be able to play in the NBA. He’s coached at the highest level. I can learn a lot from him. That’s where my heart is at. I have real respect for him.”

As far as Saturday’s game, Tyus Jones and Isaiah Whitehead were named co-MVP’s of Coney Island, a 114-109 winner over Bed Stuy. Jones, a 6-1 senior point guard from Apple Valley (Minn.) High, is considering KU, Baylor, Kentucky, Duke and Minnesota. Whitehead, a 6-4 senior from Lincoln High in Brooklyn, is considering Indiana, Syracuse, Arizona, UCLA, Minnesota and Miami.

Comments

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

And Bill Self's like, "Come on Larry thats not fair. Your killin me!"

Not worried though cuz we still got a big shot at Myles Turner and Tyus Jones.

Good job Coach Brown!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

Ummmm....we got a shot with a LOT more guys - J. Okafor, Jones, Cl. Alexander, , McLaughlin,Oubre, El. Robinson, Turner, S. Johnson (seemingly unlikely, as is R. Vaughn), Nairn, AAm. Robinson, etc.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I've noticed that often, HCBS will get his best recruits later into the recruiting season then some of the other head coaches.

He seems to go after the top 50 players who will be the backbone of the team as they mature and then fills in with the higher ranked recruits.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

Last year, we landed two from Late Night (Selden & Embiid)...if we can do that again?!...we've got Cl. Alexander, Turner, Oubre & McLaughlin visiting for sure....I.e mm, I'd be ECSTATIC if we could land Cl. Alexander & McLaughlin.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

I would be shocked if McLaughlin doesn't go with USC.

I am hoping KU gets Turner, Alexander, and Oubre.

BringBackMark 1 year, 3 months ago

Congrats to Coach Brown! Not sure OAD's are what SMU needs right now but it should be fun to follow them.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm thrilled to see L.B. coach at this level again with elite talent.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

Great to see Dallas not losing players to the East Coast as they have in the past. Good for Coach Brown.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

Any chance that Kansas and Southern Methodist schedule a home-and-home?

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

I think it would be mega cool to see that happen! Also Wichita State and KU home and home.

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

Im absolutely happy for LB getting the big recruits, especially over UK and Calimari. SMU will be a 5 or 11 seed this year that no one wants to play! RCJH! Ive heard that Tyus Jones and Myles Turner were wanting to play at the same school. If that's true and they both are blown away by our late night gig, then its Game On again next year!!

Benz Junque 1 year, 3 months ago

What it says is "become a national product and we will upgrade your facilities". If baseball and football haven't figured out they are second fiddle then they are ignoring the facts.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

If you look at the Kentucky video, it sure doesn't seem like that's just for men's hoops .. it's a pretty sizeable complex.

jay381 1 year, 3 months ago

Congrats to LB and Jank. We do not have slots for everyone and really this decision from the kids standpoint makes sense. SMU is a top flight school in his hometown. It has a great reputation in the DFW area. His family can come see him. He gets to play for a year with his brother. LB is a legend in coaching. I totally respect his decision. Now I would not say the same about some Calipari commitments.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 3 months ago

"Their fans were taking shots at Wiggins and Bill Self also. Kinda ugly." - Anything different than what's done on this website on a daily basis on Calipari? You should go back the story on this website when Randle announced UK...just saying

actorman 1 year, 3 months ago

You're right that KU fans tend to go a little overboard about Calipari, but there's a world of difference between making snide comments about a coach and making them about a player. Not that KU fans are perfect in that area either, but the comments that I saw from UK fans about Wiggins were MUCH worse than anything I've seen on this board about a player who doesn't commit to KU.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Piling on, but I don't recall KU posters wishing injury or illness on a recruit that chose KY over KU.