Friday, August 23, 2013

Dallas prep Mudiay to choose SMU?

Blue-chip basketball point guard prospect Emmanuel Mudiay of Dallas’ Prime Prep Academy, who on Monday tweeted “sometimes you have to just shock the world,” just might do so tonight.

Some recruiting analysts believe the 6-foot-5 senior will choose Larry Brown’s SMU Mustangs over Kansas University, Kentucky, Baylor and Oklahoma State when he announces his college decision tonight during the Under Armour/Elite 24 game in New York (6 p.m., ESPNU).

SMU last competed in the NCAA Tournament in 1993. KU is considered a long shot at this time.

“Always hard to go against Cal (John Calipari) and UK in recruiting, but I am picking SMU to land arguably the No. 1 player in the country — Emmanuel Mudiay,” Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com wrote on Twitter.

“I interviewed Emmanuel Mudiay yesterday at Elite 24 and he is very high on SMU coach Larry Brown. Wouldn’t shock me if he went there,” tweeted analyst Adam Zagoria of zagsblog.com.

“A lot of signs pointing to Emmanuel Mudiay picking SMU tomorrow,” tweeted Jeff Borzello of CBSsports.com.

Theo Pinson, a 6-6 senior small forward from Wesleyan Christian Academy in High Point, N.C., who has committed to North Carolina, actually jumped over his mother to win Friday’s Elite 24 slam dunk contest. Devin Booker, a 6-5 senior from Moss Point (Miss.) High, won the three-point contest.

Several prospects considering KU will play in tonight’s game. Playing for Team Coney Island: No. 3-ranked (by Rivals.com) Mudiay (6-5, Dallas Prime Prep Academy), No. 7 Rashad Vaughn (6-5, Findlay Prep, Henderson, Nev.), No. 8 Stanley Johnson (6-6, Mater Dei High, Santa Ana, Calif.), No. 19 Kelly Oubre (6-5, Bush High, Richmond, Texas), plus Stephen Zimmerman (7-0, Bishop Gorman High, Las Vegas), who is ranked No. 2 in the Class of 2015.

Playing for Team Bed-Stuy: No. 2 Tyus Jones (6-1, Apple Valley, Minn. High), No. 6 Myles Turner (6-11, Trinity High, Euless, Texas), No. 16 Justise Winslow (6-6, Houston St. John’s High) and Malik Newman (6-3, Callaway High, Jackson, Miss.), No. 1 player in the Class of 2015.

Releford in Belgium: Former KU guard Travis Releford has reported to training camp in Belgium. Earlier this summer, the Kansas City native signed a one-year deal with Okapi Aalstar. His contract allows him to return to the U.S. if he receives an NBA offer. Releford played for the Denver Nuggets in the Las Vegas Summer League.

Wiggins in town: KU freshman Andrew Wiggins, the No. 1 player in the recruiting Class of 2013, on Friday arrived in Lawrence for the start of school on Monday. “Back in Lawrence, Kansas and loving every minute of it,” Wiggins, 6-foot-8 from Thornhill, Ontario, wrote on Twitter on Friday night. He attended summer school classes at KU in July.

Comments

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

• Wigs is BACK in Larry!!!

Way to go Adidas!!!

• Mudiay to Dallas!

Way to go big oil!!!!

• Releford to Okapi!

Way to go Belgium Waffles!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 4 months ago

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 2h Haven't studied Mudiay recruiting but sounds as if he doesn't end up at SMU, it's incredible head fake on his part. Those are ones that hurt

Tweet from Franshilla.

yates33333 1 year, 4 months ago

No shock to want to play for one of the greatest coaches in basketball history. Brown, if the players know BB history, is one of the all time greats even if not the greatest. I am surprised he doesn't have only high school all-Americans playing for him.

Hello jaybate! Good Luck and the usual skill this year.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Larry got a top local/national recruit last year too if I remember correctly.

He is a champion.

Hawk8086 1 year, 4 months ago

It surprises me that Mudiay would go to SMU. Kids these days want tot go to high profile schools. Will SMU be on national TV that much? Will he get exposure in the NCAA tournament? No question that Brown is, arguably, the best teacher of the game of all time, so you can't argue with the logic of wanting to play for him. Also, he is a local kid and he gets to participate in the building of the SMU program. I guess that it's good that a top player might be doing something that makes a lot of sense.

TheBoHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Kinda forgot the biggest one bud... the champs: Louisville

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

The American conference is not too far off of being the original Conference USA and the league will be losing Louisville after this season.

Jeff Schartz 1 year, 4 months ago

It surprises me, too, that a kid nowadays would do something that makes sense...

kevinfp50 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd say if he is good enough he can go wherever he wants and still get plenty of attention. Just look at the top pick in the draft this year coming from UNLV

Robert Brock 1 year, 4 months ago

Two thoughts:

1) Why isn't Cliff Alexander playing in the UA 24 Game?

2) I would love to see Mudiay play for Larry Brown. He would be the second HS AA at SMU

petey55 1 year, 4 months ago

Mudiay to SMU no big surprise. Prime Prep is Deion Sanders' Charter School. Deion Sanders' son plays football at SMU. I'd look for the pipeline to continue.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

On Prime Prep, Karviar Shepherd (TCU) and Jordan Mickey (LSU) were both found to be ineligible for 2013-14 (so far). Curious if Mudiay will suffer the same fate.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks .. I missed that. Good excuse, though, looks like that story came out the week I was on vacation.

Bradly Moore 1 year, 4 months ago

At least the kid isn't going to Kentucky. Good for coach Brown!!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 4 months ago

Guess I shouldn't freak out too much that we don't have a commit for 2014...UK only has one and he's only #9.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 4 months ago

Recruits are allowed the following choices:

1. Kansas
  2. Tulsa
  3. SMU
  4. Maryland

Any other school, and you have make a huge mistake.

Dan Cook 1 year, 4 months ago

Or FGCU. Or Southern Illinois. Don't forget to help Coach Hinson.

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

So we're just going to leave off Tad Boyle or Rex Walters?

TheDeepEnd 1 year, 4 months ago

That Devin Booker kid that won the 3-point contest is the son of old MU point guard, Melvin Booker.

baldwinbulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

Cant win them all I think I would rather have the point guard out of Minnesota anyway

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

What about Frank Mason? PG of the future (and of this season, according to Keegan and babyphog)

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

Fortunately, Coach Self is really high on him too.

KUfanInFlorida 1 year, 4 months ago

I am not trying to be a pessimist, but Naadir has a lot of limitations as a player especially on defense. Both Mason and Naadir could be our weakest links this season especially if they turn the ball over and jack up a lot of threes. There is a reason why Self recruiting more point guards.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 4 months ago

Strong Disagree. Naadir was amazing the latter part of last year. Several games in which BMac disappeared he was our go to guy on offense. His defense was as good as any down the stretch. He's the man, I just hope he's finally out of Self's doghouse.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

If Tharpe improves just 1/2 as much as he did from freshman to sophomore season, what will we have?

Count me an optimist on this one.

Dirtyphog 1 year, 4 months ago

Awesome snag for Larry!! If he didn't come to KU he picked the next best one on his list

namohcan_99 1 year, 4 months ago

Happy for LB. I wish them nothing but success, except against KU, of course. ;)

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

We need at least 2 (Wiggins and Black) for it to be successful, and more depending on how many other early entries we have.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Right on .. though a bit lower ranked than I'd prefer, there is no reason why Mason can't be our starting point guard for two seasons, after Tharpe leaves (after starting for two seasons himself). Of all of the positions, a OAD at the point is the least desirable. There are guys like John Wall or Derrick Rose that can step right in and talent prevails. But past that, I'll take a guy that has experience under his belt, and was at the next level down or so on the talent range. Making teammates better .. making the team better .. is job one.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't ever recall talking up Harrow although I thought he was going to have a better season than he had. As I said before, UK's biggest issue last year was only having 7 scholarship players (after Noel injury) and Cal learned a valuable lesson from it.

A lot less successful? Rose and Wall had so much more talent than the other point guards they played against that it didn't matter where they went to school.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 4 months ago

But I will officially go on record to say that Andrew Harrison will be the best point guard in the country this year!

Scott Smetana 1 year, 4 months ago

Blah... I'll remember that. I'd take Naadir as a seasoned junior anyday over some freshmen PG.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 4 months ago

That is soo great for their program! I am so happy for Larry Brown! I wanna see Coach Cal's reaction to it. I think that Tharpe will be here for the next two seasons and I think that Ellis will leave after junior year. I don't think Embiid will leave. He has only been playing the game four 4 years! He said in a interview that he would want to develop his game and get a lot better before he leaves Kansas. I think Selden will leave after his sophomore season.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 3 months ago

No. Does anyone know if Kelley Oubre has an official visit set for us? I assume it would be at late night and he has said it but it wasn't on ESPN.

kerbyd 1 year, 3 months ago

Not related but saw where Gary Woodland was kicking booty in the Barclays.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Mudiay has officially committed to Larry Brown and SMU. There is not a better coach in the country to learn how to play basketball than LB.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

Wonder if you can go back to the wildcats board and play with the other kids and let the adults talk.