Thursday, August 22, 2013

UCLA transfer QB T.J. Millweard commits to KU

T.J. Millweard, a freshman quarterback at UCLA, told JayhawkSlant.com Thursday he will transfer to Kansas University.

Millweard, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound quarterback from Colleyville, Texas, was competing for the No. 2 QB job at UCLA before deciding to transfer. He sat out 2012 as a redshirt year and, according to the L.A. Times, will have three years of eligibility remaining after sitting out this season.

"I called coach Charlie Weis and told him. He was very happy," Millweard told JayhawkSlant. "Then I talked with a couple of the other coaches. I'm already starting the process of applying and I hope to be back and start school on Monday."

Millweard, who spent some of his childhood years in Kansas, attended KU's practice Wednesday. He was ranked the 23rd-best quarterback in Rivals.com's class of 2012.

Comments

Reuben_J_Cogburn 8 months ago

Not sure why, but the name Brock Berglund keeps springing to mind.....

Randy Bombardier 8 months ago

Good catch, ptp. Depth and competition are good. Suprised at no. 23 in the country that he is not a four-star.

As far as ads go, I agree that it is really no big deal and we should take a second or two to just give a good answer. The fact that the site is free is everything. I don't do ESPN Insider, Jayhawk Slant, etc. This is a minor issue some of you are blowing totally out of proportion. Go rant on ESPN for making you use Facebook now. Now that sucks. Thank you LJW for keeping it free.

Mark Lindrud 8 months ago

Keep them coming Charlie. Sounds like a perfect fit for the offense.

Hammertoe 8 months ago

Only 1020 days since KU won a conference football game.

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 8 months ago

This is good news. Hopefully now we have at least a steady future at QB.

Jack Jones 8 months ago

R C 1990 ~ re LJW 'questions' ~ sounds like you are not alone in your type of response ~ there's at least three; no, make that four; oops, five ~ oh, heck, a bunch who respond in kind. Actually, I must admit to having 'complained' about this issue, and following a very pleasant discussion with the person who oversees this feature ~ I apologized to her for my 'nitpicking' what really is a minor annoyance ~ in the overall scheme of all things Jayhawk.

W Keith Swinehart II 8 months ago

Nice positive article. CW Jr. Seems to be on solid ground, likes Lawrence. All good. Thanks for posting.

LAJayhawk 8 months ago

Off subject, but I thought this was an interesting piece worthy of sharing...

Ralster Jayhawk 8 months ago

Best thing about the transfers: They get to sit a year, learning the playbook, developing chemistry with WRs, and getting Holsoppled... Weis building the developmental pipeline machine alongside the on-field product improving...I like it. Losing a QB to injury could derail a season, as happened to Weis at NDame. He is making sure he has capable depth at the position. Exactly what every good, tough team needs.

Mike Barnhart 8 months ago

This kid originally committed to Virginia Tech then de-committed and committed to Airzona State. Then he de-committed from Arizona State and signed with UCLA. Now he's leaving UCLA and committing to KU.

I'll guess his favorite move is ""The Little Mermaid" because "the seaweeds always greener in somebody else's lake!"

Terry N Tom Denner 8 months ago

Awesome and welcome aboard the DREAM TEAM 2013 TJ !!! Happy to have as a Jay Hawk.

namohcan_99 8 months ago

Glad to see this. This kid seems to have a lot of positive things to say. It sounds like a great fit. I'm exciting to see him in action. Probably won't unseat Heaps but I expect he'll challenge for back-up and be a projected starter in 2 years.

phog1004 8 months ago

hope he is in for some competition and doesn't expect to be the next in a short line of transfer starters....Cozart looked pretty dang good recently.

Either way, any and all competition at the QB position should foster better play all around. Big plus for the KU football team whether he wins the starting job 2 years from now or not.

texashawk10 8 months ago

Same thing I said yesterday, depth breeds competition which breeds players consistently getting better which breeds more wins. I do however sense a transfer or change of position coming for someone not named Heaps though. After Heaps leaves, Cummings will have one year left and Cozart, Darling, and Millweard will all have 2 years left.

Bryce Landon 8 months ago

Welcome aboard, T.J.! Glad to have you aboard. Believe me, we need all the help we can get.

Jack Joiner 8 months ago

Go to a bowl this year, and recruiting will improve. Welcome TJ!

8 months ago

“Millweard, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound quarterback from Colleyville, Texas,…”

This acquisition is exciting news, and it appears T.J. is rapidly getting into shape! He has already dropped 20 pounds (and one inch in height) in just one day :^)

“According to reports, the 6-foot-4, 230-pound former three-star QB who ranked as the 23rd best quarterback in the country in the 2012 recruiting class, has decided to leave UCLA to finish his career at a school closer to his hometown.”

Andy Tweedy 8 months ago

Welcome, TJ! On another note, do the folks who put these pop up questionnaires on the website actually think the results are valid? I can't be the only one who just clicks randomly to get past them can I?

irussell 8 months ago

Welcome T. J.! You'll never regret becoming part of the Jayhawk Nation !

bville_hawk 8 months ago

Berglund2 or Real Deal???

okiedave 8 months ago

Welcome T.J. -- You will find Lawrence to be a great town to be in and treasure your years as a Jayhawk.

John Myers 8 months ago

Rock Chalk! Glad to have you, T.J.!!!!