Thursday, August 22, 2013

UCLA transfer QB T.J. Millweard commits to KU

T.J. Millweard, a freshman quarterback at UCLA, told JayhawkSlant.com Thursday he will transfer to Kansas University.

Millweard, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound quarterback from Colleyville, Texas, was competing for the No. 2 QB job at UCLA before deciding to transfer. He sat out 2012 as a redshirt year and, according to the L.A. Times, will have three years of eligibility remaining after sitting out this season.

"I called coach Charlie Weis and told him. He was very happy," Millweard told JayhawkSlant. "Then I talked with a couple of the other coaches. I'm already starting the process of applying and I hope to be back and start school on Monday."

Millweard, who spent some of his childhood years in Kansas, attended KU's practice Wednesday. He was ranked the 23rd-best quarterback in Rivals.com's class of 2012.

Comments

John Myers 1 year ago

Rock Chalk! Glad to have you, T.J.!!!!

okiedave 1 year ago

Welcome T.J. -- You will find Lawrence to be a great town to be in and treasure your years as a Jayhawk.

bville_hawk 1 year ago

Berglund2 or Real Deal???

LAJayhawk 1 year ago

Don't think he's ever going to have a tough time convincing young quarterbacks to come play for him. That will be his bread and butter as long as he's at KU, methinks.

irussell 1 year ago

Welcome T. J.! You'll never regret becoming part of the Jayhawk Nation !

Andy Tweedy 1 year ago

Welcome, TJ! On another note, do the folks who put these pop up questionnaires on the website actually think the results are valid? I can't be the only one who just clicks randomly to get past them can I?

Ron Prichard 1 year ago

I would never do such a thing and I can't believe you openly admitted that! I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you. And no, you aren't the only one...

KJD 1 year ago

You do have choices and control on what your browser will do and download. I run specific preferences of Adblock and Ghostery on Firefox and never see the Google questions. My set up blocks a lot of content other than ads which includes missing Flash content along with some video and audio technologies. If I want to look at a disabled function in Firefox, like catching a video on ESPN instead of those ESPN videos automatically loading when calling a page, I just copy and paste the link into anther browser software (Chrome, Safari, IE) that isn't running Adblock and Ghostery.

actorman 1 year ago

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. It takes all of about 10 seconds to see the question and answer it. Why are people so uptight about it?

Andy Tweedy 1 year ago

I don't think it's a big deal at all, I'm just saying I don't pay any attention to what it's asking me. It just seems funny to me that we have all these questions and I'm skeptical any real data is being gathered. Just thinking out loud, not really complaining about it.

Mike Barnhart 1 year ago

It's one more way for Google to collect our thoughts.

Waylon Cook 1 year ago

It is just more crap. Remember when Google was the "anti Yahoo"?

Google is pretty much the devil but none of the answers I give them are right any how:)

Micky Baker 1 year ago

I don't answer them honestly either, let them waste a bunch of money doing this and screwing their customers over because they chose a very unethical way in which to do market research.

texashawk10 1 year ago

So we know who to blame when KUSports becomes a subscription site instead of letting Google foot the bill for operating costs

Sam Brockert 1 year ago

Exactly my thought. Talk about complaining that you weren't getting hung with a new rope... We get all of this KU centric news FOR FREE. And you get people complaining about answering a couple of freaking questions?

Micky Baker 1 year ago

Because the questions have no relevance to making someone being able to read an article.

Brad Farha 1 year ago

The questions are very relevant. The revenue LJW earns from those questions keeps the site free.

Steve Brown 1 year ago

The big deal is how old you were when 1984 was published whether you think Andrew Snowden a hero or traitor if you would have a chip inserted in your big toe to follow your patterns. If you leave your location devices on or off. If you like golf today but jazz in ten years. If your favorite color is blue yet willing to look at orange on Tuesdays. It is about going to a virtual Wal-Mart and only seeing clothes in your size and with button down shirts. Used to be able to go to concessions and order hot dog or hamburger. Now they presort the lines, go to the Dodger Dog line or the BBQ line, once in Philly I finally made it to order and didn't want the Philly Beef. It is about being able to change your mind and vote none of the above. If you could save 5% on your car insurance if you allowed the firm to install a tracking device, then go for it. I will not lie, and won't answer. So on my desktop I get a sentence then the comments, price I'm willing to pay. On another device I own I get the full story w/out the question. I suspect for some small set of us the questions bother us deeply and we don't mind that they don't bug you.

LAJayhawk 1 year ago

Get a Mac and use Safari. Haven't seen a single question yet.

Displayhawk 1 year ago

Yet being the operative word in that sentence.

Michael Auchard 1 year ago

Even as a lifelong Mac user, I can't agree. Safari has probably the worst user interface of any web browser I've ever run. Glad you're not seeing a pop-up ad here and there, but my god, man! Oh, the horror.

Steve Reigle 1 year ago

Sometimes none of the choices fit me. I admit I had to comment to Jesse privately before discovering (he pointed it out and now I am red-faced) that I could click to get a different question. Still, some of those questions are head scratchers and none of the choices really fit. I do try to answer them honestly, though.

Immediately after I posted the above, I got this question:

I suppose I could answer "No, never" but even that implies I'm female. Last time I checked, I wasn't female.

texashawk10 1 year ago

Have you been asked who the current president is or how states are in the US yet?

Ross Cargo 1 year ago

Dude, as far as those questions go, I'm a 20 something female that does not use any technology. I just bought a major appliance after shopping at 18 stores. Ha. I try to be as contradictory and confusing as I can. Occassionally, I'll give the truth if I figure it isn't the answer they wanted. Hey, why not have fun with it?

Dirk Medema 1 year ago

I don't answer randomly. I purposefully answer negatively to whatever the question asks.

1 year ago

“Millweard, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound quarterback from Colleyville, Texas,…”

This acquisition is exciting news, and it appears T.J. is rapidly getting into shape! He has already dropped 20 pounds (and one inch in height) in just one day :^)

“According to reports, the 6-foot-4, 230-pound former three-star QB who ranked as the 23rd best quarterback in the country in the 2012 recruiting class, has decided to leave UCLA to finish his career at a school closer to his hometown.”

Jack Joiner 1 year ago

Go to a bowl this year, and recruiting will improve. Welcome TJ!

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

Welcome aboard, T.J.! Glad to have you aboard. Believe me, we need all the help we can get.

texashawk10 1 year ago

Same thing I said yesterday, depth breeds competition which breeds players consistently getting better which breeds more wins. I do however sense a transfer or change of position coming for someone not named Heaps though. After Heaps leaves, Cummings will have one year left and Cozart, Darling, and Millweard will all have 2 years left.

Boouk 1 year ago

If Heaps and Cummings both stay healthy for the whole season, I'd assume Cozart, Darling and Millweard would redshirt.

Dirk Medema 1 year ago

Cozart and Darling could both redshirt this year and have 3 left when Jake leaves.

I'd bet on 1 transferring by next year.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year ago

I don't believe Cummings has the backup QB position in the bag. Cozart looked much better during the scrimmage last Saturday. If Heaps is unable to play. HC Weis will have to decide if he wants a scrambler (Cummings) or a passer (Cozart). Given that the running game is loaded, he might prefer the passer and Cozart takes over.

namohcan_99 1 year ago

Glad to see this. This kid seems to have a lot of positive things to say. It sounds like a great fit. I'm exciting to see him in action. Probably won't unseat Heaps but I expect he'll challenge for back-up and be a projected starter in 2 years.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year ago

Awesome and welcome aboard the DREAM TEAM 2013 TJ !!! Happy to have as a Jay Hawk.

Mike Barnhart 1 year ago

This kid originally committed to Virginia Tech then de-committed and committed to Airzona State. Then he de-committed from Arizona State and signed with UCLA. Now he's leaving UCLA and committing to KU.

I'll guess his favorite move is ""The Little Mermaid" because "the seaweeds always greener in somebody else's lake!"

Marc Frey 1 year ago

Ummmm you link shows a date that makes this story....not hot.

Lucas Town 1 year ago

It does seem like we are the hottest team on the recruiting trail, but I think we were so far behind that any commit we get seems like a big deal. Which it is, but you don't see Alabama or UCS getting tabbed as being the hottest team in recruiting because they always get good players. We are so far behind it seems like we are hot just getting back to even with other schools. The other school in this state never has good recruiting news and they have owned us for 5 years and counting and with Snyder the better part of a generation. Love to hear the insterest from commits but will stay cautiously optimistic for the time being.

LAJayhawk 1 year ago

Off subject, but I thought this was an interesting piece worthy of sharing...

Jack Jones 1 year ago

Thanks for the link. Very nice piece about a fine young person ~ always happy to hear the frequently untold stories about his generation. Back on subject ~ Great decision, T.J., and we are excited that you have chosen The University of Kansas to pursue your football career. The FB news just keeps on keepin' on.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year ago

Nice positive article. CW Jr. Seems to be on solid ground, likes Lawrence. All good. Thanks for posting.

Jack Jones 1 year ago

R C 1990 ~ re LJW 'questions' ~ sounds like you are not alone in your type of response ~ there's at least three; no, make that four; oops, five ~ oh, heck, a bunch who respond in kind. Actually, I must admit to having 'complained' about this issue, and following a very pleasant discussion with the person who oversees this feature ~ I apologized to her for my 'nitpicking' what really is a minor annoyance ~ in the overall scheme of all things Jayhawk.

Hammertoe 1 year ago

Only 1020 days since KU won a conference football game.

Brett McCabe 1 year ago

Only forever since the purple pussycats won a BCS bowl game. Also, does anyone know if Colon Klein has kissed his girlfriend yet?

Mark Lindrud 1 year ago

Keep them coming Charlie. Sounds like a perfect fit for the offense.

Randy Bombardier 1 year ago

Good catch, ptp. Depth and competition are good. Suprised at no. 23 in the country that he is not a four-star.

As far as ads go, I agree that it is really no big deal and we should take a second or two to just give a good answer. The fact that the site is free is everything. I don't do ESPN Insider, Jayhawk Slant, etc. This is a minor issue some of you are blowing totally out of proportion. Go rant on ESPN for making you use Facebook now. Now that sucks. Thank you LJW for keeping it free.

Dirk Medema 1 year ago

Intel - Not 23rd in the country. 23rd QB in the country, tho ESPN rates him #5.

Still a solid pick-up, and should result in 4 yrs of quality QB play to build around.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year ago

Not sure why, but the name Brock Berglund keeps springing to mind.....