Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cox Communications joins Jayhawk network

Cox Communications in Kansas will distribute Jayhawk IMG Television Network (JTV) programming, including six men’s basketball games and two football games, across the state of Kansas during the 2013-14 academic year, Kansas University officials announced Thursday.

Kansas Athletics recently revealed an agreement with Time Warner Cable under which TWC’s Metro Sports will produce 50 live events, including football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, soccer and track-and-field events, exclusively in the Lawrence/Kansas City area. Metro Sports is available on Time Warner Cable, Comcast and Wow!

The agreement with Cox Communications ensures that this JTV programming will be seen across the state on Kansas 22, which is available on Cox Communications, Sumner Communications and Cunningham Telephone.

Cox Communications is available throughout Kansas in communities such as Coffeyville, Dodge City, Garden City, Hutchinson, Manhattan, Pittsburg, Salina, Topeka and Wichita. Negotiations with other in-state cable distributors are ongoing.

In the Topeka area, KU fans will see the men’s basketball games on WIBW-TV as part of a previously negotiated agreement.

Time Warner Cable Metro Sports will produce non-game programming centered on KU Athletics. Cox Communications will carry that programming across the state via Kansas 22.

ESPN3 will carry the 50 live JTV events nationally to its 85 million homes (except in the Kansas City area and the state of Kansas). In addition, ESPN3 will air 20 additional Jayhawk events exclusively nationwide.

Comments

Gavin Fritton 8 years, 1 month ago

This still stinks. It screws over subscribers with SureWest, AT&T and who knows what other cable/satellite providers.

Cole Hogan 8 years, 1 month ago

In all honesty, I don't know anyone that has AT&T in the KC area, and surewest's technology is completely outdated and painful to use. So Time Warner is the best option to start with...

just my opinion, I'm sure ill catch some flak for it.

Nick Adams 8 years, 1 month ago

I have AT&T and I know atleast 10 others in the KC area that do as well.

kckuguy 8 years, 1 month ago

I have AT&T, as most people in my area do, we all dumped TWC. But, Dodge City and Salina will get the games, screw KC. This sucks

kckuguy 8 years, 1 month ago

I have AT&T and most people in my area do as well. Bragging about Dodge City and Salina but leaving KC out ? I wouldn't switch back to TWC for the $300 they are offering and the KU games. I guess ole KU doesn't care. This is the same mistake MU made and they found out how many viewers they lost.

Micky Baker 8 years, 1 month ago

I think more will sign on as negotiations are ongoing.

Cmill1221 8 years, 1 month ago

I have cox in Vegas does this benefit me at all? Is a replay of the game on one if their third tier channels possible? Or is this only going to matter for people in the great state of Kansas?

Ted Adams 8 years, 1 month ago

Cmill, I think that ESPN3 is where you will get your KU coverage. Cox subscribers can stream ESPN3 all they want.

This is pretty awesome when KU will have STATEWIDE coverage. Where is the Stater's statewide coverage? Yep. Not happening.

Once again KU is the big dog in Kansas. The kittens can have whatever scraps are left...if there are any.

Bryce Landon 8 years, 1 month ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think K-State has a broadcast package with Fox Sports Net-Kansas City. So if that's the case, they're getting regional coverage for their sports programming.

BigD 8 years, 1 month ago

Technically it's not statewide. Anyone in the KC metro area on the Kansas side with Surewest, ATT, DirecTv or Dish won't have any option of getting the feed. I'm not sure about Comcast either.

hawklwd4life 8 years, 1 month ago

I have Dish... this is very disappointing!! Channel 38 in KC used to carry KU BB games.. Is that changing, too??!!

Jared Grillot 8 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, as of last season, Cox subscribers within Kansas can NOT stream KU events on ESPN3. They are blacked out. P!$$ed me off to no end last year. Total horse$#!+ in my opinion, because Cox internet subscribers who didn't want to additionally get robbed for cable costs got screwed.

Gig 8 years, 1 month ago

CMill, I have the same question here down in Tulsa. I have the local Cox Cable system here.

Josh Galler 8 years, 1 month ago

that is BS I did not thought KC would get black out of espn3

Bville Hawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Way to butcher the English language, kansasalumn.

Lance Cheney 8 years, 1 month ago

Haha. He must've let the 3 year old type that one... Just kidding kansasalumn. We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you (even though you're probably not laughing). 8 DAYS 'TIL KANSAS FOOTBALL!!!

Lance Cheney 8 years, 1 month ago

Dang it you're right! I have no room to talk now...

bad_dog 8 years, 1 month ago

Even a dropout can be an alumnus/alumna of the university.

drl20 8 years, 1 month ago

I live in KS but my only options are Direct TV, Dish Network or Mediacom.

Brad Farha 8 years, 1 month ago

A week ago I switched from U-Verse to Comcast/Xfinity. There were other issues driving that change, but I fully admit that access to Jayhawk events on TV was the tipping point. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'm sure everyone here understands ; )

Janet Olin 8 years, 1 month ago

It sucks big that people like me who live 20 miles east of campus, and live in a community where TW and the other carriers are not an option, cannot see live KU games. Tell me what's fair about shutting out ATT, Surewest, Dish, etc. I don't give a flying flip if people in NY can see the games. I have already contacted my provider, but the big companies don't care.

HAWKS1 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey Janet, we would welcome you in the stadium! I wish I lived just 20 miles east of campus. I drive 2 1/2 hours each way and still make it to every home game. Come on over.....you'll have more fun than watching the game on your couch! Rock Chalk!!

jgkojak 8 years, 1 month ago

And I'll pony up $30 a ticket. ????

Brad Farha 8 years, 1 month ago

@Hawks1 -- agreed! If you are close, come to as many games as you can.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

WHAT ?? You can watch KU games on TV ??????? I'm cancelling all my season tickets.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 1 month ago

Funny. Glad you are kidding as you are probably in the half of the stadium that actually stays to the end of the game. Your seat being empty won't look good on tv, nuleaf.

Dirtyphog 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm so fortunate.. I don't get metro sports because I'm a directv costumer, I can't watch any games online because I live in Lawrence.. Only cable you can get in Lawrence is wow, and it's a complete rip off. Zenger said there would be more to come, but it's not getting much better.. Even for the guy who lives 2 miles from campus..

VailHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

No comment on story, just wanted to share my new avatar

bulldawgs 8 years, 1 month ago

Isn't AT&T a partner of Kansas Athletics? I have to imagine that they will be figuring out a way to give us some AT&T all access this fall...

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Would I be correct in assuming that the head of AT & T is a KU fan? Because whoever called it U-verse evidently couldn't stand to see the letters U N I strung together.

jgkojak 8 years, 1 month ago

I have U-VERSE and live in Olathe - where we DON'T get Time-Warner - we're stuck with Comcast instead -

COMCAST SUCKS! I had them for a long time and had regular internet outages, etc. usually right when I had work to do.

Since getting U-verse 3 years ago - NOT ONE internet outage.

So-

I either sign up for crappy internet service OR miss 4-6 KU games.

That, folks, is the definition of being screwed.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm in the same situation with regard to providers. I was thinking about just getting Comcast, too, for the basketball season only. Just switching the boxes when the game is on. Kind of a pay per view thing ...

jgkojak 8 years, 1 month ago

So anyone know if I can stream ESPN3 content AFTER the game is over even if its been blocked live?

Seth Nesmith 8 years, 1 month ago

I thought directv was going to carry it? Does anyone know?

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Hawks on Cox in by Dr. jeussbate

Cox Hawks Rocks Chalks

Cox owns box. Hawks on box.

Hawks on Cox locks stocks.

Stocks of Cox equal Hawks on box.

Hawks on Cox beats Hawks on Fox box.

Hawks set picks some. Hiram's on blocks some. Hawks shoot bricks from blocks on Cox some.

Hook, sir. Hook, sir. Mr. Hawk, sir. Let's set picks for Cox on Fox, sir. Let's set picks and hooks with jocks, sir.

First, I'll set a quick pick on Cox box. Then I'll set a slick pick on Cox box.

You can set a quick pick on Cox box. You can say some Rock Chalks.

And here's a new trick, Mr. Hawks.... Picks on picks and picks on blocks Blocks on blocks and bricks on picks. Bricks on blocks on Cox on box.

Now we come to ticks and tocks, sir. Try to say this Mr. Hawks, sir....

Clocks on Cox tick. Clocks on Fox tock. Six slick picks click. Six sick bricks tock.

Please, sir. I don't like this trick, sir. My hips aren't quick or thick, sir. I get all those ticks and clocks, sir, mixed up with the Rocksa nd Chalks, sir. I can't do it, Mr. Hawks, sir.

I'm so sorry, Mr. Hawks, sir.

Here's an easy game to play. Here's an easy thing to say....

New Hawks. Two socks. Whose socks? Drew's socks.

Who sews whose socks? Drew sews Drew's socks.

Who sees who sew whose new socks, sir? You see Drew sew Drew's new socks, sir.

That's not easy, Mr. Hawks, sir.

Who comes? ... Wayne comes. Fast Lane Wayne comes.

Who plans Wayne's clothes? Drew sews Wayne's clothes. Too True Drew sews whose clothes? Adidas.

Drew sews socks of Black in socks now.

Fast Lane Wayne sews Jocks in box now.

Drew sews rose on Fast Lane Wayne's clothes. Cox shows hose on Fast Lane Wayne's nose.

Hose goes. Rose grows. Nose hose goes some. Wayne's rose grows some.

Mr. Hawks! I hate this game, sir. This game makes my hook quite lame, sir.

Mr. Hawks, sir, what a shame, sir.

We'll find something new to glue now. Here is lots of new glue goo now. New goo. Blue goo. Glooey. Glooey. Blue glue. New glue. Gluey. Gluey.

Gluey goo for gluey gluing! That's what that Glue Two is doing. Do you choose to glue goo, Two, sir? If, sir, you, sir, choose to Glue, sir, At the Glue Two, impact too, sir. Do, sir.

Mr. Hawks, sir, I won't do it.
I can't say.
I won't glue it.

Very well, sir. Step this way. We'll find another game to play.

Big_Dipper 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, as long as the people in Manhattan, KS, Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii can watch the KU games, why should the rest of us be upset??? :(

KUGreenMachine 8 years, 1 month ago

So, I have ATT Uverse everything and live in Lawrence. Can someone just answer this quick question...will I get to see those 6 bball games?

Thanks,

Josh Galler 8 years, 1 month ago

any luck on getting Surewest on board?