Friday, August 16, 2013

Self, KU players ready to get back to work after time off

The Kansas University Rock Chalk Dancers get the crowd fired up during the annual football kickoff pep rally, held at Corinth Square in Prairie Village on Friday.

— A refreshed, relaxed and tanned Bill Self followed Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger, football coach Charlie Weis, track coach Stanley Redwine and women’s basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson atop the big stage at Friday night’s KU Kickoff pep rally at Corinth Square.

Like his Jayhawk basketball players, Self has taken some time off following the conclusion of summer school on Aug. 1.

“I went to Northern Ireland in the Belfast area with a group of guys, had a blast, then Cindy (wife) and I took vacation this past week. We just got back from the Caribbean. It’s been a pretty tough two out of the last three weeks for me,” joked Self.

“The first one (trip) was for golf — the second one wasn’t. Cindy wasn’t that interested in playing golf. We had a lot of fun, though, both trips,” Self added.

He’ll be welcoming his players back to campus in days leading up to the start of fall semester, which is Aug. 26.

Believe it or not ... basketball season this year starts just a month and a day later, on Sept. 27. A new NCAA rule allows teams to have 30 days of practice in the six weeks prior to the first game. The old rule permitted practice four weeks before the first game.

“You’ve got to take at least two days off a week if you are going to do it that way,” Self said of starting practice the 27th with Late Night in the Phog Oct. 4.

“If you start that early, you don’t have to be quite as accelerated. It’ll probably be a situation we maybe go a little bit slower, get more stuff in, then by the time Oct. 15 or whatever rolls around we’ll be ready to roll.”

He will hold one week of Boot Camp conditioning this season, not two.

“We’ll probably do it the week of Sept. 16 because two weeks of Boot Camp with a young team, plus starting basically three weeks earlier ... that may be too much,” Self said.

Self reiterated he was pleased with summer practices with a team that includes six freshmen plus senior Tarik Black, who played at Memphis the last three years.

“I like ’em a lot. It’s a team I think has great potential,” Self said. “Of course, all potential means is they haven’t done anything yet. I had Elijah in the office today,” he added of recent grad Elijah Johnson, who later in the day boarded a flight for Poland where he’ll be playing pro ball. “(I said), it’ll be hard for next year’s team to win as many games as this year’s team. You stop and think what last year’s team did winning 31 of 37 ... we’ve got our work cut out but it’s a talented bunch.

“For a bunch of freshmen, they probably impressed me as much with their work ethic as anything else,” Self added. “We’ll make a lot of mistakes. I’ll be very nervous about the last four minutes of games because we don’t really have anybody that’s ever been a closer before, but as far as throwing the ball up and having guys go get it, this will be the best team we’ve had to do that.”

As far as individuals ... “Wayne and Perry have been our best two consistent performers all summer long,” Self said of Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis. “He’s hungry. He’s got a college body or a pro body or a man’s body already. He has a chance to be really good early on,” he added of 6-5, 230-pound Selden, who spent much of the allotted two hours of practice time a week (as well as unsupervised pick-up games) guarding frosh phenom Andrew Wiggins.

As far as what Wiggins has been doing of late, Self said he returned to his native Canada after attending the Gatorade Player of the Year ceremony in Los Angeles on July 16.

“He was able to finish his classwork and take care of that. Since he’s been home we’ve basically trusted him to work on his own,” Self said.

Comments

Brett McCabe 5 years, 6 months ago

Who is number ten in that photo? I believe that he has been over-served.

KJD 5 years, 6 months ago

Wiggins being gone a month is news to me. I quickly thought of the media circus that has been impossible to miss surrounding Johnny Manziel and being able to gaze into the public lives that these young college super stars are living. Then it struck me that comparing Wiggins stature to Manziel may not be too far off if he does indeed play consistently where he is projected. A month away in Canada with family to ground and recharge sounds good. Academics kick in soon, the season starts in a month, the whole NBA draft schedule along with those demands follow soon on the heels of March, then NBA Summer League before a break around this time next year. Seems wise.

The prolonged pre-season, and those 2 hour summer practices, came at the right time for this young 'Hawk team to orientate them to the KU systems. I do wonder what 'Hawks past and present think about Boot Camp being shortened to 1 week.

Clarence Haynes 5 years, 6 months ago

Plus during this time of the year, the weather in Toronto is near perfect! Great town!

Greg Lux 5 years, 6 months ago

Coach usually ended Boot Camp early most years anyway so it's probably only about 2 less days anyway. Also I think he is real worried about these young freshman and one senior learning his system and figures he needs all the time he can get. Plus if he's adding a zone defense he is going to need even more time so it makes sense.

Rock Chalk

Bryce Landon 5 years, 6 months ago

Adam Wiggins is not making as many headlines as Womanziel because he's not being an irresponsible twit.

REHawk 5 years, 6 months ago

More good coachspeak re Wayne Selden. Looks to be a very SOLID newbie to fill that 2 position.

Greg Lux 5 years, 6 months ago

I see a little frustration with AW not coming back after the Gatorade awards. He wanted to take a moment to praise a couple of players who have been overlooked by the AW media circus. Ego's are a fragile thing and those two players deserve the accolades of their coach to keep them focuses and hungry.

Rock Chalk

KCinNC 5 years, 6 months ago

I gave it one more try, but the Google survey is so distracting and annoying that it makes me angry whenever I come to this site. I emailed the editors and they aren't changing it. I will never be back here again.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 6 months ago

so long and fare well, KCinNC. We hardly even knew ye

Al Martin 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and before you go, could you please complain about "Kansas University", the track around the football field, and maybe the weather, too?

milehighhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Just access the site using your phone. Problem solved.

Jack Wilson 5 years, 6 months ago

I don't really care about the stupid surveys .. answer correctly; answer incorrectly. Just answer and move on.

But here's Google's view on privacy of email information: http://rt.com/usa/google-gmail-motion-privacy-453/

What Google says is that information in your private emails, that pass through their servers, can be harvested for information. So your emails aren't private communications if you use gmail.

Again, that's where Google is coming from. Is that a surprise?

Keith Kienzle 5 years, 6 months ago

We're all contributing to the brain of GoogleGod.

Shannon Gustafson 5 years, 6 months ago

Those of you who don't like the surveys. Just install an ad blocker like adblock plus. You'll see no surveys (or other ads) on any sites.

Evan Bilyeu 5 years, 6 months ago

Is it really that big of deal? You click two answers. You don't even have to look at it! You just click. If that is worth leaving the entire site, go for it.

Erin Troyer 5 years, 6 months ago

Yeah...making that one extra click was brutal. Don't forget to take your blankie and pacifier with you.

Teejay Roden 5 years, 6 months ago

Is number ten doing his Tyshawn Taylor imitation?

chaggs 5 years, 6 months ago

"Coach, the doctor told me that I'm going to have a delayed illness, that begins on September 16."

Kevin Millikan 5 years, 6 months ago

KCinNC, I treat this site as a pay site. I only click a link if I can't find the information anywhere else. This is nothing more than a pay site now.

chriz 5 years, 6 months ago

Has he not seen Wiggins practice with the boys a lot yet?

jaybate 5 years, 6 months ago

• AW gone home.

Self emphasizing Ellis and Selden.

Self talking about winning fewer games than last year.

About trusting a guy to go home and work?

1 week of Boot Camp?

Not feeling good.

Something up?

Nike making a counter offer?

Even if nothing is up, sounds like maybe Self wanted AW in Larry for the month and is needling with Selden.

• Road food rec. Big Shanty Smoke House, Kennesaw Georgia.

• Snacks phone home. Where da recruits?

• There are too many uncertain balls in the air for me to think this team can win instantly against top competition out of the blocks, but watch out down the stretch.

•. The early start is a mine field. Self has had this start up routine wired, and now he can't decide between 1 and 2 weeks of boot camp?

• Suggested desktop wall paper: green wood is high risk.

Mark Lindrud 5 years, 6 months ago

Self knows the potential of this team as we all do, but sometimes if you pile on too much praise to a team they lose the hunger. The bulk of this team is unproven, hasn't won anything yet. High school is now over for many of them, but now they need to take the next step in their growth and Self will push them the best way he knows how. The expectations are high and these players know it, but it is up to them to meet those expectations. As exciting as this season will be, which I'm going to see them when they come to Colorado, we all know we want a decade of dominance in the Big 12 and a Final Four birth. Lets enjoy the journey and worry about the destination WHEN we get there.

milehighhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Some interesting comments about Wiggins from Self in this SI article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130816/hoop-thoughts/

"The biggest thing with me and him is making sure he's plugged into every possession. When he was in high school, he could really turn it on but he hasn't been able to do it for an entire game. That's what worries me a little bit."

Jack Wilson 5 years, 6 months ago

I do think this team can win early.

Here's why --

1] We have an experienced point guard. He's a junior. All indications are that he's ready to lead this team. Heck, we all agreed generally that if he played over EJ late we beat Michigan. Why? Tharpe was playing consistently well. I expect solid pg play, and 35% from three range.

2] I expect Ellis to take off quick out of the blocks getting the ball into the basket. That's his trajectory. A guy we can reliably dump it into, who will also look to deliver the ball to teammates.

3] One thing most posters agreed with was that we needed a banger to protect Ellis and Embiid. Randle would have been nice. But Black was a great 2nd choice. A senior, experienced, playing for his professional life.

4] In Selden and Wiggins, it appears that we have two game ready, plug in, starters. More importantly, they are high talent level guys, with Wiggins being the freak of all freaks. The best 2/3 combo we could ask for. With the chance that Wiggins is actually as good as advertised, which means first team all-american material.

5] We have three potential 3 point assassins - White, Greene, Frankamp. One will likely get decent minutes. Two might if Frankamp can beat out Mason as the 2nd ball handler, or if Selden can assume 2nd ball handling duties (though not expected). This role can't be understated.

6] Joel Embiid gives Self a defensive swatter, with major athleticism. Keegan noted Embiid to be the x-factor. I think he is, too. If he plays anywhere near his ranking, look out.

7] Traylor/Lucas - chances are, one can be a serviceable 4th post player. Likely that Traylor will be that guy. At least we know Traylor can execute a follow slam, and block a shot as the second guy in. Anything additional is gravy. A 30% improvement from last season would be great.

I just think that this mix looks good. But we can't forget that regardless of talent, there will be growing pains. Something tells me that this team can, and will, win while it grows.

Too much optimism? Maybe. Is the more rationale approach to expect significant bumps in the road? Sure. But the mix does look good -- real good.

Evan Bilyeu 5 years, 6 months ago

Do you think we will win against duke? I am planning on going to that game.

Jack Wilson 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree .. I do think we win that game. Your point on other teams being young, too, is excellent. We're not the only team starting a couple freshmen (presumably).

Evan Bilyeu 5 years, 6 months ago

I am just so afraid of losing the game lol, I would be so disappointed!

Jack Jones 5 years, 6 months ago

Excellent observations/analysis ~ Unquestionably a young team with exceptional talent. That, more often than not, translates to a growing learning curve, with mixed results initially. But ~~ Who better to have as our coach than Bill Self ~ demonstrably, without a doubt ~ the very best college coach at developing a "team" during a season, so that they are playing their best during the second half of the year. One more GREAT BB season to look forward to. But, first things first ~ LET'S PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!!!

MinorThreat 5 years, 6 months ago

I think #10 in the pic is Barry Sanders. ;)

REHawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Surprises me that AW flew the coop to Canada so soon. Either he is not buying in to the Hudy regimen, or is set up to execute her routines in absentia. Here's hoping that White and Greene are seriously engaged in development for that 3 spot. A hushed tiptoeing little Jayhawk whispers to me, Whoa! Something is a touch off with this AW midJuly exit. Do I detect that his absence irritates his current head coach?

LaFriends 5 years, 6 months ago

LOL. Wiggins attended some Team Canada meetings... Perfect chance for him to still show love to his national program, get oriented, meet some of the guys, even though he's taken himself out of the FIBA Americas to focus on his Jayhawk commitment. The right time for him to duck out too, before Self really gets practices up and going. You guys are too selfish!! LOL>

jaybate 5 years, 6 months ago

REHawk,

Something seems all Zack Peters here. The corners aren't closing. The walls aren't square.

A Wigs Told team Canada that he wanted to devote himself to a ring run with KU. He seemed incredibly gung ho when he got to campus. Now he melts away. Say what?

Sickness in the family?

Injury?

Realization of how demanding Self is?

Selden punked him too many times?

Nike calling?

Only thing we know for sure? It's not homesickness. He has lived away from home for a year already.

Self seems to be positioning for possible stormy weather.

Best guess?

Wigs did not like helmet and shoulder pad basketball practices.

REHawk 5 years, 6 months ago

KU practices obviously stressful and demanding. I would hope that AW is hardy enough to meet the challenge of preparing for 30 minutes of dynamic contribution. But if not, there are 20 minutes of explosive 3 pt. shooters to absorb his bench minutes. Self has lured an octopus of possibilities to his current squad. Greene, White, Frankamp and Mason might all glaum onto significant opportunity on the perimeter. Bill might have to hitch up his trousers, not force any square pegs into round holes. If it should pan out that AW does best with only 20 minutes of exciting play, there is a stable filled with eager horses chomping at the proverbial bit, preparing to slip into his harness. I'm hoping that the quick return to Canada is no major thing. But it does appear to be questionable. From what I have read, he looks to be a top lottery selection, whether he plays 10 minutes or 30 minutes for Jayhawk hoops.

Erin Troyer 5 years, 6 months ago

@Jaybate

Oh for the love of God....really?

lol....some of you people are a mess.

REHawk 5 years, 6 months ago

etjay, I'm pleased to have provided for you some Sunday morning laughs. But what's with the personal insult? Do I recall your ever offering a meaningful contribution on this board?

Ian Emerson 5 years, 6 months ago

^ It's the summer and the hype is unbelievable for this young man, you all are going to make a negative out of him being with his family? Pressure like this can break anyone so young and I don't wanna push him all summer and push him even harder all year without time to spend with his family. Besides after this year he is going to the NBA, who knows when he will ever get this much time with his family until after he's a grown man. My guess is its more for his family then him.

wrwlumpy 5 years, 6 months ago

Only a few members of the team stayed in town after summer school. Greene tweeted that he was happy to be home for a month. Naa left and played in the Chicago Tournament. Give them all a break. With year round basketball because of AAU, Freshmen are not hitting the first year wall like earlier times when only high school games and tons of time off were the norm.

I doubt that any of these guys will be puking when Boot begins. What I've seen of Selden in videos, he is the real deal. Also each player has been given instructions from Hudy and each has been given a talk from asst. coaches on what to work on while at home. Selden. Jo Jo and Perry were at the Adidas camp. I'm sure the pick-up games this summer have been extremely competitive.

Ian Emerson 5 years, 6 months ago

I was there and I'm not enrolled in KU. We also won the second game.