Originally published August 14, 2013 at 10:18a.m., updated August 14, 2013 at 10:58p.m.

Kansas at Oklahoma State to be on ESPN’s College GameDay

Kansas fans go wild as members of the ESPN College GameDay crew Rece Davis, left, Hubert Davis, Digger Phelps and Jay Bilas go live from James Naismith Court at Allen Fieldhouse. Students were allowed to enter around 8 a.m.

Kansas University’s next-to-last Big 12 Conference road game of the 2013-14 basketball season — 8 p.m., March 1, at Oklahoma State — will be part of ESPN’s “College GameDay,” the network announced Wednesday.

The two teams expected to top the league’s preseason coaches’ poll will also play Jan. 18 in Allen Fieldhouse.

This marks KU’s ninth appearance in the 10-year history of GameDay. KU is 4-1 at home (wins over Texas in 2005, 2013; Kansas State in 2008, 2011; loss to Texas A&M in 2007) and 1-2 on the road (losses at Texas in 2006 and Missouri in 2012, win at KSU in 2010).

It marks the fifth straight season KU has been slotted for GameDay. Oklahoma State hosted once before, in 2005. ESPN’s College GameDay is an eight-week, Saturday morning and evening college basketball program, which broadcasts each week from the site of its headlining match-up. Rece Davis is host on the GameDay set and is joined by analysts Jay Bilas, Digger Phelps and Jalen Rose.

Other 2013-14 Game Day slots: Jan. 18 — Temple v. LaSalle, Philadelphia; Louisville at UConn; Jan. 25 — Michigan at Michigan State; Feb. 1 — Duke at Syracuse; Feb. 8 — Gonzaga at Memphis; Feb. 15 — Florida at Kentucky; Feb. 22 — either Arizona at Colorado or UCLA at Stanford; March 8 — North Carolina at Duke.

Fan support: KU for the 27th-consecutive season has led its conference in home attendance, the NCAA reported on Wednesday.

KU in the 2012-13 season averaged 16,438 fans for 18 home contests, which ranks No. 10 nationally. KU sold out its 17 games in Allen Fieldhouse (16,300) and has a 197-game sellout streak dating to the 2001-02 season (KU did not sell out its opener vs. Pittsburg State that season). The Kansas City Shootout game at the Sprint Center, part of KU’s home ticket package, was at capacity (18,797) for KU’s win over Oregon State last Nov. 30. KU ranked fifth nationally in all-game attendance (596,905 fans).

Following KU was Iowa State at No. 22 (13,393 average), No. 24 Kansas State (12,528), No. 32 Texas (10,945), No. 41 Oklahoma (9,890), No. 42 Oklahoma State (9,814), No. 49 West Virginia (8,752), No. 59 Texas Tech (7,853) and No. 75 Baylor (6,705). TCU averaged 4,854 and did not make the top 100 list. Dating to the Big Eight Conference era, KU has led its league in home attendance since the 1986-87 season, which includes the 17-year history of the Big 12.

Recruiting: Jordan McLaughlin, a 5-11 senior from Etiwanda (Calif.) High, will attend the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog as part of an official campus visit, JayhawkSlant.com reported Wednesday. He is ranked No. 43 in the Class of 2014. He lists KU, UCLA, USC, S.D. State, Indiana, Gonzaga, UConn and UNLV. ... Elijah Thomas, 6-8 junior forward from Dallas’ Prime Prep Academy, also will attend Late Night. He’s ranked No. 9 in the Class of 2015.

Chalmers golf a hit: The Mario V. Chalmers Foundation’s fifth-annual National Championship Classic Golf Classic & VIP Mixer raised $35,000 for the Mario V. Chalmers Foundation, Mario’s Closet and Ronald McDonald House Charities of Northeast Kansas, the foundation announced.

Comments

Sally Presson 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Game day ought to be at AFH, OSU is a great enviorment but nothing is like AFH

jnicho03 8 months ago

Hey Board, TRob is in Lawrence this weekend for Coach Self's Pro Camp. Is he making any appearances while he is town?

notjustbread 8 months ago

Was at Stillwater game back in '08...where Rush had worst game of his life...and we lost...that season ended pretty well though. What I remember was kids with large OSU flags running around the concourses when something good happened for them...then there was this wonderful brave Jayhawk fan, with a little KU flag about the size of a box of kleenex and he would skip behind the OSU flagbearers mocking them. That is part of the beautiful pageantry you get by going to live games in college basketball. Good times...bad game....great end of 08 season.

SDSurferFan 8 months ago

S.D.STATE is South Dakota State.

SDSU or San Diego State is San Diego State.

His list includes SDSU.

Timmay97 8 months ago

I still think that either White, Greene or Frankamp will redshirt. We all know that KU is loaded, almost to a fault. One of those guys is going to waste (which is a poor word to use with KU as nothing is a waste in practice) a year of eligibility this year.

Anyone agree? Who's the most likely redshirt? My vote would be Frankamp. However, either White or Greene could do considering they are near same size and same "type" of player.

jaybate 8 months ago

~Self is recruiting another 5-11 point guard. Give or take an inch, he has three of these already in Naa, Mason, and Frankamp. How many does a team need? Is Frank an OAD now, too?

~Ralster asks can AWTrey, Greene and Frankamp defend? Answer; no, not much this season.

~Question: How bad would it be to have three long range bombers grounded, because of defense?

~Game Day will feature a deep pockets mud wrestling contest between David Boothe and T. Boone Pickens. Just kidding.

~Whatever became of Jimmie's rules? THE MINUTE I heard they were wrapped up in an 'innovative" sports complex, I feared for them. They belong in AFH. Period.

Michael Luby 8 months ago

Elijah isnt really a good recruiting name for us right now.

AndOne 8 months ago

Agreed. CBS sucks in that way. Show the whole game! A few years ago they cut away when we were killing Mizzou. I wanted to watch that!!!

Bryce Landon 8 months ago

So what about the KU-OSU game in AFH? How will that one be televised?

Gavin Fritton 8 months ago

I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm getting kinda tired of not having Gameday at Allen every week.

Kevin Huffman 8 months ago

Can anyone repost who all is CONFIRMED to be attending Late Night OR have another visit scheduled to KU from recruits from future Classes? I.e., I know that Oubre & Turner & I think Stanley Johnson & maybe Cliff Alexander are all scheduled to come to Late Night.....does that sound right?

And I think Tyus Jones & J. Okafor are scheduled for an Oct. 18th visit.

Anyone know of any other visits? Am I missing some that said they'd be coming to Late Night.

Did Mudiay say he was coming to it?

Jason Keller 8 months ago

On paper, KU is a heavy favorite. If you look at matchups, can't help but feel good about this game. Freshman are freshman but I think we got this one.

Dan Cook 8 months ago

Historic Gallagher-Iba Arena. If you have to put "historic" in the name of your crib, then from my view, it's not really historic. Glad to see this is confirmed. This will not only be one of the top games in the country this season, but will have the most future NBA players of any not involving UK.

Kevin Huffman 8 months ago

Just a little article if anyone was curious -

"The Sacramento Kings, looking to fill the 15th roster spot with a backup center, could bring back a player who finished last season with the team. According to Jonathan Santiago and James Ham of Cowbell Kingdom, the team put Cole Aldrich through a workout on Monday.

Aldrich was acquired last February as part of a trade with the Houston Rockets which also brought back Patrick Patterson and Toney Douglas for Francisco Garcia, Tyler Honeycutt and Thomas Robinson. During his short time with the Kings Aldrich did not play that much. Aldrich was not in their plans this offseason, but late in the game the team still needs to find a backup center behind DeMarcus Cousins and that's why they turned to him.

According to the report, the New York Knicks also have interest in Alrdich."

So Cole looking at backup to either Cousins or Tyson Chandler.

Kevin Huffman 8 months ago

Jalen Rose is replacing Hubert Davis?

Thought Jalen Rose was kind of locked into NBA In-Studio Analyst role.

Ralster Jayhawk 8 months ago

Maybe OSU people dislike Self because they think he "shunned" them by turning down T.Boone Pickens' $$$? Maybe some OSU people think of Self like some KU people think of Dean Smith? Does Self get a ovation, polite applause, or booed when he walks into Gallagher-Iba? I actually would expect differring responses from student-body rabid fanboys compared to actual OklaState alumni. For example, I would say that the IowaState PR-disaster last season was due to a sizable segment of their idiot student body (thus the student body Pres. apology), while their Cyclone alumni likely do have an appreciation of the modest degree of tradition and pride they have (had?) in Hilton Coliseum in past seasons. At least I hope they do--we need worthy opponents in-conference. Prepare us better for the big Dance.

BABBOY 8 months ago

I read the headline and my thought was why in the world would anyone care about that game. Of course, like most Americans that love sports, I am looking forward to football and basketball is in the distant future.

But, I forgot this is a KU site. Basketball is king and football is second fiddle -- maybe even third fiddle to the ladies basketball team. Which is backwards to me as I played football and football should always be the focus but whatever.

Yeah, in basketball, that makes sense.

To be honest, I I only follow it out of boredom when pro football is over and even then I prefer watching golf if it a bigger event like Bay Hill or Doral or something.

But, I do follow basketball enough to know that Marcus Smart is going to hard to stop. Would have made a great defensive back. Dude is playing the wrong sport.

clevelandjayhawker 8 months ago

Should be a great matchup with a tourney-like intensity.

I hope we force a some full court pressure on them. I know Coach has mentioned the idea before, we are more athletic than ever. This is going be such a fun year to watch. I just dont know how playing time will get distributed. We are going to have 5 guys coming off the bench that would start for most teams in the conference!

Boouk 8 months ago

I think we match up well with OSU. We might be the only team they play this season that has 2 players (Selden and Wiggins) who can guard Marcus Smart.

texashawk10 8 months ago

This game could very well determine the Big 12 title this year. GIA is an arena with history behind it and OSU is the only other program in the Big 12 that's won a men's basketball national championship. I hope both teams are top 5 when this games rolls around and because this is definitely a game a lot of basketball fans (not just KU and OSU) are going to be looking forward to this season.

Ralster Jayhawk 8 months ago

Would love to see BigBadBill hang another L on little travis ford. Just one more little inadequacy for travis ford to have to face up to...

Ralster Jayhawk 8 months ago

I hope KU pulls a stunner in Gallagher-Iba Arena. Enough, I hope, to make the OSU fans flip backwards thru the game program-book to match the jayhawk jerseys with the names to figure out ALL these Jayhawks doing ALL that damage on the scoreboard...It might even stump Marcus Smart, eh?

Steve Gantz 8 months ago

A school that only sells out one or two games a year should not be a candidate for GameDay. If I'm not mistaken, OSU fits in this category.

jhox 8 months ago

That's a nice venue for it. Not as good as Allen, but it will still be a great atmosphere.