Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cliff’s notes: Charlie Weis press conference: Aug. 13

Keeping the tradition from last week, here's the new-look Cliff's notes version from Kansas coach Charlie Weis at his press conference today.

What follows is a compilation of the news and notes from today, all compiled from various places on social media.

And if you haven't yet, be sure to follow all the latest KU happenings at our Twitter account, @KUsports.

Storify

Charlie Weis press conference: 8/13/2013

Comments

Jim Jackson 1 year, 1 month ago

No update on Kevin Short just yet?

Chris Bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

Can't imagine I'm the only one who doesn't like this format.

Foster Coburn 1 year, 1 month ago

I definitely prefer the old format over the "Storify" version. I'm already on Twitter and receive most of the tweets referenced. What I prefer about the Cliff's notes is having Jesse sit in the press conference and truly take notes on the most important topics covered. I understood the first Storify last week since the real one was lost, just would rather than the old notes return this time.

Jesse Newell 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks for the feedback. Just trying something new and trying to keep up with the latest technology. This format, in my mind, was more visually appealing and also allowed me to tweet more to the KUsports.com Twitter account then compile all the notes later. It was a shorter presser today, so I don't think there were any additional notes an old version of the "Cliff's notes" would have had.

Having said that, I'm open to feedback. If this isn't working, we'll go back to the other way, so let me know what you guys prefer.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

I think we all have twitter so the twitter stuff we all get and therefore prefer the old. When's 30 for Thursday coming back??

Dirk Medema 1 year, 1 month ago

Jesse - I don't have twitter, but still prefer your commentary. Definitely.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

wow, 400+ hrs a month! Take a break ralster. No idea what you do, but 13 hrs a day 7 days a week is brutal. I pulled a schedule like that it June out of necessity, and that's no way to live.

LakeShawnee 1 year, 1 month ago

My Twitter feed shows me most of these tweets. It also includes a link, to this article, which then shows me the Twitter feed I've just looked at. (head spinning).

d_prowess 1 year, 1 month ago

I am not going to be mean about it, but I don't like this format. I like the old way much better.

Insidestraight 1 year, 1 month ago

Format? Argue it out. I'm probably not a huge fan of it, either. But lazy reporting? I can't stay quiet on this one. It is, in fact, difficult reporting. Strenuous. Taxing. Charlie Weis talks quickly and veers in different directions pretty quickly; I really can't imagine how difficult it is to take notes, decide one comment is worthy of being posted while 18 others aren't, distill that item into a sentence for Twitter, post it to Twitter, and not lose track of the six other things Weis has said in the meantime, with offhand and shorthand references that can be impossible to follow even if you're paying FULL attention. And his news conferences last for half an hour, minimum. Calling this lazy reporting is an uninformed cheap shot from the ... well, I was going to say the cheap seats, but in fact it's the free seats. Jesse does a great job, as does Matt. They give fans and readers FAR more daily insights than ever before, delivered seconds after they happen. And no, I don't work for the LJW. Just a fan of the work and hustle those guys put in for our benefit. Sick and tired of all the bitching about a fantastic product that is delivered to you instantly and free.

kj_hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Do you take issue with Jesse, Matt, Keegan, and Bedore being able to put dinner on the table? Seriously how badly is your day ruined by blindly clicking an answer. It takes less than a second.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Do you prefer Google paying to operate this site or would you rather do it via paying subscription fees that come out of your own bank account? I personally prefer Google paying to operate this site.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 1 month ago

I concur, keep up the great work Jesse and Matt. That being said, I do prefer the old format.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 1 month ago

And, there's the video. It's the real stuff. But, not for lazy listeners. Is there a storify video anywhere?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

a few comments about the actual content.

I like what I hear about Sendish, and I'm glad that Bourbon is thriving in the new flanker position. But the two things that I am most interested by 1) will Coleman learn enough of the offense to showcase his abilities that he's drawing rave reviews for and 2) I'm glad to hear that Coach Weis is planning on finding a way to get more PT for Love or Faifili.

To it seems like maybe Faifili is closing on Love or passing him and Coach wants to keep Love in the game.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

At first I was thinking that I prefer the old format better than this just due to the ease of reading.

But after reading the comments and thinking about them I realized that I've always assumed that Newell doesn't actually write the notes in the presser, that he actually just records the pressure and then writes the notes afterward based on the recording.

Which gives the Storify version the distinct advantage that Newell can still record the presser, but can also live tweet the presser and then immediately compile not only his own tweets but other social media comments and post them to this site in the Storify format. It makes Jesse's job easier, as well as gives us fans much faster access to the content of the press conference.

What we don't get in the Storify version though is the insight that we are accustomed to after Jesse has the opportunity to listen to the press conference live and then digest it while he listens to the audio. The old Cliff's notes were more of an interpretation of the Coach's comments rather than just a transcription

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

Secondary storylines are Sendish and Short centric. Sendish sounds like a legitimate impact player. The confidence in quality and depth at Corner will upgrade once Short is seen in KU pads.

Isaiah Johnson, part of this Junior College class expecting to trasform the Defense, has been mentioned in both press conferences and each time adding a bit of mystery to where his standing is. Listed as a first team SS is positive. Weis mentioned that he has 'the range' the coaches are looking for to play that position in the Big XII. However, when Weis mentioned that Sendish might be moved away from NB to plug in a hole somewhere else he used Isaiah's SS starting spot as the example where he might go. Today at 6am Johnson passed the conditioning test--which might be the biggest reason why SS came to mind for a Sendish change of position though there might be more to it than that.

Here is a 7:17 YouTube highlight video http://bit.ly/14IHtLv “Helped lead Iowa Western Community College to a NJCAA National Championship in 2012” http://bit.ly/V6zZJl “One of the top JUCO safeties this year was Iowa Western's Isaiah Johnson (6-1, 210). He tied for the lead nationally with eight interceptions while also racking up 41 tackles. That productivity and the fact he has three years of eligibility left had schools clamoring to get him to visit...” http://bit.ly/13ibB2c

Texas Tech and Illinois are two BCS schools that offered Johnson after he verballed to KU. Wisconsin's Defensive Coordinator still recruited the Safety in late January. The fact that the Badgers were interested in poaching him upgrades his stock a bit in my mind, just like Oklahoma trying to poach Slater. Found this video from the championship game that focuses on his play http://bit.ly/1cLt85X on a NC State Pack Pride page, which focuses on his tackling in run support though there is one pick where the QB just throws it right at him in the red zone.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 1 month ago

"three years of eligibility left" is huge!

Especially if he can do much of anything this year, though a half dozen INT's would be real nice.

He stepped in front of the slant for the pick.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 1 month ago

After Isaiah's video ends, there are other options to select from, including one of Ngalu. He's at his best when he has some big guy to hit in run blocking. Part of the reason CW was predicting that run blocking in particular would be upgraded this year.

BainDread 1 year, 1 month ago

Call me old-fashioned, but this format looks like a group of thirteen-year-olds covering a pillow fight at a pajama party.

ckjayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I was ok with the format last week, but today I can't find the "Cliffs Notes." I have the intro sentences and the comments, but nothing in between. And, I don't have Twitter - my KU student children have forbidden it!

John Myers 1 year, 1 month ago

Throwing out another "NO" vote for this format. Don't care for it at all.

daverinoku 1 year, 1 month ago

Jesse, this version does not show up at all on the mobile site...

Doug Roberts 1 year, 1 month ago

Good luck with that "no camera" policy.

peter56321 1 year, 1 month ago

I tried the new Cliff's Notes last week. I hated it but didn't post anything because I thought it was a one-time thing. This is awful. Please revert or try something else that's different.