Thursday, August 8, 2013

Big 12 releases KU men’s basketball conference schedule

Kansas coach Bill Self cheers from the sidelines in the second-half of the Jayhawks 70-58 win against North Carolina Sunday, March 24, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo..

2013-14 KU men's basketball

Full schedule

The Kansas men's basketball team won't be easing into this year's Big 12 schedule.

KU's conference slate, released by the league on Thursday, appears to be especially front-loaded, as the Jayhawks take on the four other teams in the top half of last year's league standings in the first four games.

The Jayhawks open Jan. 8 at Oklahoma, then follow with a home game against Kansas State on Jan. 11. KU then travels to Ames, Iowa for Big Monday against Iowa State on Jan. 13 before playing host to Oklahoma State on Jan 18.

KU's fifth conference foe — Baylor on Jan. 20 at Allen Fieldhouse — finished sixth in last year's Big 12 standings.

The Jayhawks will be playing plenty on national television, with 15 of their 18 games slated to appear on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or CBS.

KU's game at Oklahoma State on Saturday, March 1 also appears to be a candidate for ESPN's Game Day, as a start time has not yet been released.

The Jayhawks will play host to Texas Tech on March 5 for Senior night before ending the regular season with a March 8 road contest at West Virginia.

KU men's basketball Big 12 schedule (All times CT)

Wed., Jan. 8 — at Oklahoma, 6 p.m. (ESPN2)

Sat. Jan. 11 — vs. Kansas State, 1 p.m. (ESPN)

Mon. Jan. 13 — at Iowa State, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Sat., Jan. 18 — vs. Oklahoma State, 3 p.m. (CBS)

Mon., Jan. 20 — vs. Baylor, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Sat., Jan. 25 — at TCU, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Wed. Jan. 29 — vs. Iowa State, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)

Sat., Feb. 1 — at Texas, 3 p.m. (ESPN/ESPN2)

Tues., Feb. 4 — at Baylor, 6 p.m. (ESPN/ESPN2)

Sat., Feb. 8 — vs. West Virginia, 3 p.m. (ESPN)

Mon., Feb. 10 — at Kansas State, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Sat., Feb. 15 — vs. TCU, 3 p.m. (Big 12)

Tues., Feb. 18 — at Texas Tech, 7 p.m. (Big 12)

Sat., Feb. 22 — vs. Texas, 6:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Mon., Feb. 24 — vs. Oklahoma, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Sat., March 1 — at Oklahoma State (ESPN)

Wed., March 5 — vs. Texas Tech, 7 p.m. (Big 12)

Sat., March 8 — at West Virginia, 11 a.m. (ESPN/ESPN2)

Comments

Dirtyphog 6 years, 6 months ago

What! Ku vs okla st is an afternoon game.. Tisk tisk...

Steven Mathew 6 years, 6 months ago

That could be a nationally televised game however, seeing that it is on CBS. Did you also notice that on March 1 (@ Ok St), there is not a time listed, meaning that could be a College Gameday game.

Dirtyphog 6 years, 6 months ago

It was more so that ku is usually still in the locker room for the first half of Saturday afternoon games.. Always makes me nervous

Ted Hume 6 years, 6 months ago

Yea, I'll put my money on March 1 as College Gameday in Stillwater, with ESPN hoping it's for the B12 title

David Leathers 6 years, 6 months ago

Time Warner better fix their beef with CBS by basketball season, or they're getting the shaft from me.

Josh Galler 6 years, 6 months ago

darn I am going to miss the Jan 8 game, I will be on a plane to Orlando, and Jan 11 I will miss most likely b/c I will be somewhere in the Disneyworld complex

KU_alum_2001 6 years, 6 months ago

You're sharing this with people because...???

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe he was hoping to get a d-bag response from someone...

Josh Galler 6 years, 6 months ago

there are some that you may share that no one cares bout $hit either

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 6 months ago

January is a great time to go to Disney. I am an annual pass holder for all four Disney parks.

Josh Galler 6 years, 6 months ago

wife is running the half marathon and I am running the 5k

Matthew Stephan 6 years, 6 months ago

I happen to think that it is awesome. Watch the 1/11 game at the ESPN Club at the Boardwalk.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 6 months ago

Looks like the conference will come down to the last week of the season. And I like KU's chances closing with T-Tech and @ WVU. Oklahoma State finishes with Kansas State and @ Iowa State. March 1 will be huge!!!

Michael Luby 6 years, 6 months ago

What!? No scared post!? What's wrong with you man?

Big_Dipper 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually, I think the first 5 games, and 6 of the first 7 are more important than the last 2. The freshmen have to be ready. Those are some good teams there. If we slip in a few, we'll be playing catch up the rest of the season. The good news is that 4 of those 6 are home games for us. The bad news is we'll still have to go to 4 of those places after this part of the schedule. K State lost a few good players this year, but you can never count out your rival.

Greg Lux 6 years, 6 months ago

I truly believe the conference race will be over by the last week ...This team is going to be very very special ( baring injuries which we always Pray don't happen ).

Rock Chalk

Cole Hogan 6 years, 6 months ago

Tough first 4 or 5 games. Here's to hoping the freshman figure it out in noncon play!

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

You mean against Duke, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico, Georgetown, and San Diego St.?

jay381 6 years, 6 months ago

Correct. Plus Wake, and the winner of the Villanova _ USC game

This is one of the most challenging non conference lineups I have ever seen especially for a youthful team. They will be tested for sure. I am sure glad the entire team has been in Lawrence this summer.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

Wake is the worst team in the ACC and USC is the worst team in the PAC 12 and Villanova is a middle of the pack new Big East team. The only two other teams in the field that are decent are Tennessee and Iowa.

whats_going_on 6 years, 6 months ago

2 words. Season Tickets.

3 more words. I'm freaking excited.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

Looks like I'm making it to a pair of games this season.

wrwlumpy 6 years, 6 months ago

A couple of weeks ago someone said that they would try to get to Late NIght an hour early. I drove an hour to be there 2 hrs. early last year and as I was walking up the sidewalk, people were walking back to their cars having been turned away. You'll probably have to be a student 2 day camper to get in this year.

Ron Prichard 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow! And that, folks, is why KU is the best place in the world for basketball.

Alex Peekeaton 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually raprichard, for years, UK students have been camping out in tents for 3 days prior to the tickets being available for Big Blue Madness. The BBM is sold out (23,500 tickets) in less than an hour of tickets becoming available.

Dirtyphog 6 years, 6 months ago

My cousin started camping at 5am last year, I was lucky enough she saved me a spot. But all my friends were turned away about a hour before. I've been the last 3 years and the first two weren't even full, but after the NC appearance people started filling in.

Dirtyphog 6 years, 6 months ago

And yes I am a student camper :), nice advantage

David Morrison 6 years, 6 months ago

Not to change the subject...but are any of u going to the Bahamas for the "Battle for Atlantis" tournament in late November? My wife and I are going there to celebrate our 25th Anniversary....and we are attending ALL the tourney games....should be a blast....

BillSelf4Prez 6 years, 6 months ago

Is anyone else extremely pissed college gameday is going to be at Oklahoma State and not KU? I mean c'mon, 80% of OSU's games last season weren't even half way filled.

Chris1955 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe T-Boone Pickens paid for the honor.

wrwlumpy 6 years, 6 months ago

OSU will come into conference play undefeated with that schedule.

Michael Luby 6 years, 6 months ago

Nice prediction. Maybe a tad bit presumptuous though considering we play 20 conference games. That said, I think we split with Okie state again, but no way do we let them beat us at home. Iowa state is tricky too. I mean they gave us fits last year, and with Niang and Ejim back plus whatever they added over the summer, they could be dangerous any other year But, Niang will have to guard Wigs and he'll just make him look silly. We sweep IA state this year. I also have a tough time believing WVU can beat us anywhere.
So do I think we end the Conf with one loss? Im not sure because we are so young this year and have not gone undefeated in the conference in quite some time. Much less with a green team. 17-3 seems very likely, 18-2 could be possible, but where are the losses if I don't think we lose to WVU or IA state?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

They do play 21 if they get a first round bye in the Big 12 tournament (which they will) and reach the tournament title game.

Hawk8086 6 years, 6 months ago

We could lose the following road games: ISU, Baylor, OSU, and to a lesser extent OU. I'm not sure about WVU, but I can see one road loss that we don't expect. 17-3 sounds reasonable, but 4 losses wouldn't surprise me with such a young team.

dylans 6 years, 6 months ago

One less loss than the other big 12 teams is all I ask for.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

If KU already has the Big 12 regular season title wrapped up going into the game in Morgantown, KU losing to WVU is more likely and not as big a deal. It would essentially be the same situation as the Baylor game in Waco last season. KU clinched a share of the title when OSU beat KSU and KU pretty much took the game off against Baylor to prep the Big 12 tournament and NCAA tournament.

Evan Bilyeu 6 years, 6 months ago

I like it. But I don't think we could possibly lose to West Virginia! But I guess we do tend to lose unexpectedly. I am a really nervous about losing at home. I feel like we need to make sure we can't lose at home.

Hawk8086 6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry........I realize we play 18 games.

farnamjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Senior Night at Allen Fieldhouse...... Texas Tech just let out a collective "Crap"

REHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

3 league losses prior to tourney time should seal the deal; at least tie. However, if both those OSU matchups are losses, we likely fall to second place and end the streak. Best of all possible scenarios: Dick Vitalis picks us 3rd or lower. As I recall, Dick is super high on Wiggins, so we probably won't gain any leverage from his prognostications this season.

Mick Allen 6 years, 6 months ago

Another positive scenario, Jack Smack Harry predicts us 5th or 6th again. He can never shed his Misery bias when discussing KU.

joeloveshawks 6 years, 6 months ago

Very exciting to see the schedule. I need to try and get tickets for a game at AFH this year. It's been 8 years since I've been. Also, anyone know when tickets go on sale for the Duke game in Chicago?

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

Kansas 2013-2014.

Overall record: 36-4.

Big 12: 14-2 resulting in #10 Conference Title.

Kansas - 2014 National Champions.

Dare to dream, my fellow posters.....dare to dream!!!

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

When I dream about this team, I dream of it surviving beatings and disillusionments in October, November and December and of Self finding a way to keep one-year wonders Andrew and Tarik believing long enough for the team to come together in January. I see 3, maybe 4 losses pre-conference. Then we become a conference force in time to squeeze past Okie State the first time, win the second time, and crush them in the conference tourney. Fred with Doc's inside scoop should beat us once. Grrrrrr! Then one upset from greenwood getting fatigued from the grind and intensity of conference play in late January/early February. Then I dream of running the table as a two seed.

So: I see from 6 to maybe 8 losses, then a juggernaut run.

Wish I could dream 36-4. It would make sleep so much more fun!

But I will say this, Oak: your crystal ball has been above average, so "dream a little dream for me, Rosemarie..."

wrwlumpy 6 years, 6 months ago

Championship this year, because according to this, we will be starting over again next year.

joeloveshawks 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow. Selden as a top 5 pick? This is the first time I have seen him listed that high. Wiggins has been #1 on this boards for awhile and Joel has been up there too. Hard to believe Perry would be top 20. I see him staying for 4 years for some reason no matter how good he is.

DanR 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, they have Perry listed as a junior already...

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

Four of the top 17 picks from Kansas with a bunch more from Kentucky!! College basketball is going to end up hating the Wildcats and the Jayhawks!!

Maybe KU and UK should just play a seperate 7 game series for the Championship and let the rest of the NCAA play for third place!!

The OAD thing has transformed from the ridiculous to the absurd!!!!

Jack Wilson 6 years, 6 months ago

It is absurd. Oak is right.

Look, I love the idea that we have these very talented players. But if they leave after one season (OADs), the only way it is justifiable to me is if we win a national title. That's it.

We can win and win titles without presumed OADs. The difficulty is whether Selden and Embiid were presumed OADs when recruited. Embiid certainly wasn't.

I don't know .. there is no easy answer. These guys exit without a title and it will be a pretty damned empty feeling.

In such an instance, I think our program is better off skipping this stuff. Focus on guys that Self knows aren't OADs.

Also, interesting how the debate now is how college kids supposedly get used for merchandising. So the college kid that comes here for one season as a "student", knowing he's turning pro, isn't using the university? What a joke.

First bit of advice .. if coming to college is such a bad deal, don't come.

REHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

I tend to ride along with you on this OAD thing. Exhilarating potential for the 2013-14 Jayhawks, but if a bundle of our freshmen and Ellis should feel the need to grab the brass ring and ride off into the sunset in June I will be prone to grouse and grumble about recruiting patterns. Of course, a national title might mute my grumbles.... IMHO, the one year tenure of superstars is horrible for college level sports programs. A very real double edged sword for fans, coaches, university programs. I don't want to see KU become another UK stopover station for an annual handful of recruits standing urgently on the platform awaiting the departing train to the NBA.

CaptnMo 6 years, 6 months ago

What is the first chance that tickets will be available to us common folks? Any suggestions on sites to get them from?

wrwlumpy 6 years, 6 months ago

This was on theKUAthletic site.

Men's Basketball Season Tickets are presently off sale due to our select-a-seat process. Sales will resume pending ticket availability at the conclusion of select-a-seat August 12 - 16.

It is the "pending availability" that scares me.

wrwlumpy 6 years, 6 months ago

This from KU Athletics.

The key is "pending ticket availability".

Greg Lux 6 years, 6 months ago

Anyone know if the CBS KU vs OSU game is the National Game of the day for CBS ( not regional )?

Rock Chalk

Scott MacWilliams 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I REEEALLY don't like it when CBS does KU games, as they have a tendency to NOT broadcast them out here on the left coast, and if they do, they'll cut away for anything else if the score gets a little less than close. Too many times I've seen a game just stopped with Gumball making lame excuses about the switcheroo.
I'd rather it was on another network.

I've seen them skip a good KU game for one with Arizona & UCLA, when they both SUCK!! The Pac12 has been sooo bad lately in hoops, it's pathetic. But CBS doesn't care, it's all about # of screens delivered to the admen, not quality of games shown.

Rock Chalk, the Real Game Rules!!

Jacobpaul81 6 years, 6 months ago

Ugh ESPN. When does that waste of a TV contract end?

REHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey, at least we get to see ESPN games in HD. A step up from Jayhawk, Big 12 or ESPNu network broadcasts, even tho ESPN announcers often talk ceaseless crap.

CaptnMo 6 years, 6 months ago

JP81, if I remember right KU just recently sined a new contract with ESPN. I'm pretty sure your stuck with them for the next seven years.