Wednesday, August 7, 2013

KU to appear four times on ESPN’s Big Monday

Kansas fans gear up for the tip-off of the Kansas-Missouri game Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU men's basketball schedule

2013-14

The Kansas men's basketball team will make four appearances on ESPN's Big Monday in 2014, tying for the highest number in the conference with Oklahoma State.

KU will be a part of the first two Big Mondays, traveling to Iowa State on Jan. 13 and playing host to Baylor on Jan. 20. All games are scheduled for 8 p.m. CT.

The Jayhawks also will be at Kansas State on Feb. 10 before playing host to Oklahoma on Feb. 24.

Since the start of the Big 12, KU is 49-16 all-time on ESPN’s Big Monday (27-1 at home, 22-15 on the road), which includes a 30-8 record under coach Bill Self. KU also has won 20 straight ESPN Big Monday games in Allen Fieldhouse, which includes a 16-0 mark under Self.

2014 ESPN Big Monday Schedule for Big 12 (All games at 8 p.m. CT)

Jan. 13 —  Kansas at Iowa State

Jan. 20 — Baylor at Kansas

Jan. 27 — Oklahoma State at Oklahoma

Feb. 3 — Iowa State at Oklahoma State

Feb. 10 — Kansas at Kansas State

Feb. 17 — Oklahoma State at Baylor

Feb. 24 — Oklahoma at Kansas

March 3 — Kansas State at Oklahoma State

Comments

4chewnut 1 year, 1 month ago

Anyone know what the status is of living in Lawrence and being able to watch early season games? Will WOW carry? Will U-Verse carry? Thanks

LakeShawnee 1 year, 1 month ago

Every game includes either Kansas, Oklahoma State, or Iowa State. ESPN must not view our conference as very deep this year.

TxJyHwk 1 year, 1 month ago

Actually, every game include either Kansas or Oklahoma State!

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm surprised there's not a KU-OSU Big Monday game this year although I'm betting one of them will be a Gameday game this year. I'm also surprised Texas and West Virginia aren't on a Big Monday game, those two are usually locks for 1 or 2 appearances a year.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

TCU and Tech are both awful programs right now. I don't remember how long it's been since Tech was on Big Monday, I'm thinking it has to be 4 or 5 years.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

We still might wind up on national TV at Texas Christian because they'll want to talk about the big upset and Self's "James Naismith" and "Topeka YMCA" soundbytes, and they'll want to see the Frogs pull the upset again.

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe OSU-KU will be shown on CBS

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

Now that would be awesome. The best matchups deserve a CBS broadcast.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

It wouldn't surprise me if one of those games is on CBS and the other is a Gameday game.

AznSnSaTioN 1 year, 1 month ago

I bet CBS will carry that game, can't wait.

bofh 1 year, 1 month ago

are these games that will actually be on tv for us google fiber subscribers? or are we out of look on these as well? (ljw needs to clarify for all of us every time they post something like this)

oldalum 1 year, 1 month ago

Big Monday games are on ESPN. Do you get that on Google?

Boouk 1 year, 1 month ago

I assume Gameday will be in Stillwater for the other KU OSU game.

jgkojak 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, I would like a LJW viewing guide - which games are on which channels - since this s**t just got confusing.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

You can't wait til the day of the game to see what channel it's going to be on?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

Most of the games aren't that exciting. You would think KU/UT, OSU/KU, would be the premier games. Of course this is the danger with our conference, half of the schools in our conference don't draw national attention (e.g. ISU, KSU, TCU, BU, TTU).

AustinHawkKC 1 year, 1 month ago

PismoBeach, I'm pretty sure Baylor is still in Texas.

Kurt Eskilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Uuuuh … that's what Pismo said.

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

When did KU lose a Big Monday home game?

oldalum 1 year, 1 month ago

Was it against Texas the day after TRob's mom died?

hawksquawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Nope, that game was on a Saturday.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope that when we go to the nasty sinkhole that is Ames, Iowa, we won't have to listen to the ESPN hacks going on and on about how nice those people are and what a great man of character Fred Hoiberg is, when we all know that those people are hateful racist rubes with no future beyond their smelly pig farms, and that Fred Hoiberg tolerates their racism and uses shady recruiting tactics to lure castaways to such a sinkhole.

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

Where does all this bitterness come from? One fan acts like an idiot should not be a reflection of the entire institution. When I think of my feeling toward other Big 12 institutions, Iowa State is very low on my hate list.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

Uh, dude, it wasn't just one fan...

Sae Thirtysix 1 year, 1 month ago

That would be "melvin weatherwax'

Or are you trying to imply that he is 'max' on 'wax'?

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

On another note, I hope CBS gets us on the air four times also. An ESPN telecast means nothing to me - everyone gets on ESPN - but a CBS telecast is something special, because only the very best get to be on CBS.

TexiCaliHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, I don't share your opinion as there is nothing at all 'special' about a CBS broadcast -- especially, given what they call 'nationally televised' games are nothing but 'nationally' as they have regional games that supercede us in parts of the country. Like out here in L.A., if our game is at the same time as a UCLA (or Arizona) game, we get 'bumped'. "The very best" . . . Really?!

Unlike ESPN broadcast games, there are no alternative ways to view those games. Plus, the CBS announcers routinely don't do their homework on the teams that are playing (other than to state the most obvious 'storylines' and hammer them home relentlessly throughout the game).

So, no -- from my long and frustrating experience, CBS is the absolute WORST place for a KU game to be broadcast. I will say that they (finally) loosened their grip on the 'monopoly' they had with the NCAA Tournament to where all games are now shown in their entirety (even if you have to roam the dial to find their partner channels). Maybe if they did likewise on their 'national' telecasts (which are really 'regional'), I would change my opinion.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 1 month ago

Nice. Now the next big thing would be that they've replaced Brent Musberger. Bob Knight may have been annoying at times, but at least he knew something about basketball and said something besides the obvious.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

Networks will fight to show Wiggins and the Jayhawks. If we beat Duke early, look out! I never liked Travis Ford as a player until he left Mizzou to go to Kentucky. Then as a coach, I admired they way he used his guards, even the tiny, itty bitty ones. He does deserve credit getting OSU on big Monday 4 times.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 1 month ago

I like that we have heros and villains in the league...gives it more juice. There can only be one KU anyway, and everyone else is just fodder for us in the grand scheme. Bring on the season. Can't wait.