Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Rising star Perry Ellis, KU freshmen turn heads at adidas camp

Kansas forward Perry Ellis flashes a rare smile as he is applauded by the Kansas fans after leaving the court following the Jayhawks' 88-73 win over Iowa State in the semifinal round of the Big 12 tournament on Friday, March 15, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Kansas University forward Perry Ellis had a close-up view as KU freshman teammate Wayne Selden drove baseline and put in a one-handed reverse jam during the adidas Nations camp last week in Los Angeles.

The only problem? Ellis was playing for the other team.

“You can’t really do anything (afterwards). Just go the other way,” Ellis said with a laugh. “That’s going to be great to have (at KU).”

Ellis, Selden and KU freshman center Joel Embiid all participated as counselors at the camp, giving instruction to younger players while also playing in camp counselor games against other collegians.

Ellis mostly went against Baylor’s Cory Jefferson, UCLA’s David and Travis Wear and Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell.

“I felt I did real well,” Ellis said. “I was just really trying to get better.”

Ellis was able to showcase his improving offensive game at the camp, which included beating opponents off the dribble and also knocking down mid-range shots.

He’s also working on becoming more aggressive as he transitions from bench player to starter this season.

The 6-foot-8 sophomore received positive reviews from social-media reports, with NBADraft.net tweeting Saturday that “KU guys Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis have been 2 of the most impressive performers here.”

“I’ve really been working hard. That’s just really showing it’s paying off,” Ellis said. “That really just makes me want to keep working and keep doing what I was doing.”

Ellis also calmed fears about his health after some tweets indicated he was injured during the camp.

While battling inside, Ellis was hit in the right thigh by one of the Wear twins’ knees.

“That game I was playing, it was hard to get out the soreness,” Ellis said. “But that’s about it, though. The next day, it was fine.”

Ellis wasn’t the only KU player who represented himself well.

DraftExpress.com raved about Selden, saying he was ... “One of the top performers here. Made shots, scored in transition, defended, played under control.”

“Wayne’s doing real well. Just attacking, knocking down shots,” Ellis said. “He was just playing aggressive.”

When asked what impressed him most about the 6-foot-5 Selden, Ellis said: “His body. That’s a big guard. Just how strong he is. He can do whatever he wants, really.”

ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla also commented on Embiid, tweeting out that he had a “lot of potential” and noted that he’d seen the 7-footer hit a three-pointer.

“From what I saw, he was doing well,” Ellis said. “I think he has great moves. He can really fake a defender.”

Ellis, who made it back to his hometown of Wichita on Monday, said he’ll continue to work out there before school starts on Aug. 26.

Self talks NBA

KU coach Bill Self talked about the possibility of coaching in the NBA during an interview at the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame on Monday in Oklahoma City.

“It hasn’t really tempted me because I haven’t had that many people talk to me about it,” Self told Mike Baldwin of The Oklahoman newspaper. “But at some point and time, sure, I think it would (tempt me). It would be great to be able to match wits with the best athletes in the world, but I’m certainly happy where I’m at.

“I’m not saying I never would (coach in the NBA) but I’m locked in.”

The comments were similar to what Self said when he was asked about the NBA by ESPN’s Andy Katz during an interview on July 25.

“Well, nobody has really flirted with me. I’m not going to say no one has called,” Self told Katz. “I don’t believe there’s been a lot of interest. Personally I think I have one of the premier jobs in the world at any level. I think there’s a lot of jobs out there in the league that are hard jobs just like there are college jobs that are hard jobs. I’m blessed to be at a place I think we can attract good players year in and out.

“I think everybody thinks about it, coaching at the highest level, being able to test your skills of your trade against the so-called best of the best, with the best athletes to work with. That’s not anything that’s ever motivated me. I think everybody thinks about doing different things from time to time not to the point where there’s actually serious interest. There hasn’t been for me. Then again I haven’t been flirted with very much. I love where I’m at. You have been to Lawrence,” he said to Katz. “It’s a different place. As long as we can keep getting good players hopefully I can stick around awhile.”

Comments

Sally Presson 8 months ago

Really looking forward to this season, sure hope we can get our tickets back. There are so many outstanding players on this team, glad to hear Perry did well at his camp, and Wayne, it's going to be a great season. jayhawk fans are anxiously waiting for the season to start, no where are there fans like KU fans

Rock Chalk

TheFloater 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Any word on how Naa has been progressing this summer? He is the key to this otherwise beautifully built luxury car! Or what type of car are we?

Joseph Kuebel 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Anybody have an O/U on how many 25+ point wins we have this year? O/U of 11.

Joseph Kuebel 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Over. He'll average 19+ or just under 20. If we weren't dismantling the competition on a weekly basis he'd average 23.

Adam Bengtson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Does anyone have any feel for Wiggins going for O/U 18 points a game?

KULA 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Perry get drafted after this season.

Jason Keller 8 months, 2 weeks ago

If Self leaves, we should go after Bruce Weber.

selfhimbill 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Oak - your stuff's always a good read. Anyone - how does one get around the surveys to read the stories? Or is this another spying/control mechanism designed to lead us astray?

Tony Bandle 8 months, 2 weeks ago

The key to Bill's remaining career at Kansas is his son, Tyler. Ink in the next two seasons, then think about Tyler becoming a team manager, a post grad student assistant, an apprentice coach, etc.

I think Bill is locked in for another 10 years!!

FIRST CRACK AT SEASON PREDICTIONS.

1] Louisiana Monroe @KU - WIN. 2] KU @Duke [Chicago] - LOSS 3] Iona @ KU - WIN 4] Towson @ KU - WIN. 5] KU vs Wake Forest in Nassau - WIN. 6] KU vs USC/'Nova - WIN. 7] KU vs whomever in Finals - WIN. 8] KU @ Colorado [c'mon Western Kansas..fill the place] - WIN. 9] KU @ Florida - LOSS. 10] New Mexico @ KU - WIN. 11] Georgetwn @ KU [tough match-up] - WIN. 12] Toledo @ KU - WIN. 13] San Diego @ KU - WIN. 14/15] Oklahoma State - WIN/LOSS.[Actually, we could win there]. 16/17] Iowa State - WIN/LOSS.[Hilton magic gets us this season]. 18/19] Kansas State - WIN/WIN.[Bill will never lose to gravel voice...ever!!!]. 20/21] Oklahoma - WIN/WIN.[ Ho Hum]. 22/23] Texas - WIN/WIN. [Yes, Barnes, nice guy but still sucks!]. 24/25] Texas Tech - WIN/WIN.[ Ho Hum #2]. 26/27] TCU - WIN/WIN [payback..it won't be pretty!!]. 28/29] West Virginia - WIN/WIN. [Huggy Bear misses out on his "beat KU bonus"...again]. 30/31] Baylor - WIN/WIN.[We should actually lose one of these games, except for Drew].

Regular Season Totals, 27-4.

BIG 12 Tourney, 3-0.

NCAA Tourney, 6-0, beating UK in semis and Louisville in Finals.

Final Team Totals, 36-4.

hooligan42 8 months, 2 weeks ago

As for Coach Self and the NBA. it's actually a simple question. Greatness on the level of Mike krysh..,uh..chevy?!? (I hate duke so much. I could care less about the spelling of his name, but there is no denying his greatness) or an average career like so many good college coaches who cut their career short of its potential by heading to the NBA.

Michael Luby 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I had a dream, of Selden locking down Smart on the perimeter and picking his pocket for a transition race down court and slick no look lob pass to Wigs for an ESPN top 10 slam over Brown that makes Wigs look like MJ.

wrwlumpy 8 months, 2 weeks ago

We all knew that when Wiggins came to town that KU would be the lead story every two weeks until the season starts, then it will be every day. All the Big Boys have waited to commit. All the ones we want are still there. I think Coach can pick and choose the ones that will play his style. Wiggins is the gift that keeps on giving. The spotlight will be bright on KU all year long. I also like it that somehow having the Sorority girls in the front row of the student section increase the liklihood of attracting future recruits

FearlessJayhawk 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I would like to know why the media continues to pester coach Self about going to the NBA. If I didn't know any better, it sounds like a conspiracy from some of the Big 12 schools to try and get rid of Self. They figure since they can't beat him, try and tempt him to leave. As far as this year is concerned, I have never been this excited to see the season begin. It's going to be a special year.

Martin Rosenblum 8 months, 2 weeks ago

"It would be great to be able to match wits with the best athletes in the world.."

When it comes to "matching wits", I would trust his "wits" against just about anybody playing in the NBA. His challenge would be "matching wits" with coaches and GMs in the League. I would still put his "wits" in the upper half of coaches at that level, even without having ever coached pros.

Joe Baker 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I can't wait to see Selden match Smart. I know Smart is a great athlete, but Selden is no slouch. I think Smart might be a "tad" overrated. I mean no disrespect to the guy, but didn't see a whole lot last year from Smart that is too convincing. I think you match man to man against OSU: Selden/Smart, Tharpe/Forte, Wigs/Brown, Ellis/Cobbins, Black-Lucas/Gaskins (jc transfer from Florida)

Joe Baker 8 months, 2 weeks ago

You don't leave a handful of top college programs for the NBA. Yeah, money talks real loud, but when you have a good thing, you ride it. Brad Stevens wasn't in the best of college programs. I think he'll be in a little over his head at the NBA level. I thought he was fine at the college level. You need to be a bit more tenured at the college level to enter the NBA: ie. Self, Coach K, Coach Cal, Pitino, Donovan, Boeheim(sp), eventually Steve Alford, Thompson III, Manning, maybe Anderson, Lavin, Dixon, Wright, Roy (could, but won't as Self, you don't leave UNC), Sean Miller (?). The programs you stay at are KU, UNC, UK, Duke, UCLA (Howland ran the program in the ground), maybe Zona, maybe Syracuse unless your Boeheim. I could see Mata taking the NBA plunge too, doubtful, but anything is possible.

Ron Franklin 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I would be willing to bet that Self is coaching in the NBA within five years. I'm okay with that, except that when he is done he is going to head back to Oklahoma. Maybe he'll coach OkSt, maybe he wont.

How many of us would be okay with him leaving for the NBA?

What if he left and went straight to Oklahoma State?

Even though both moves would be based on what Self believes is best for him and his family, I foresee a lot of hatred oozing out on these boards should he head straight to OKSt.

The one thing I know for sure is that we are witnessing a hell of an era in Kansas Basketball, and I'm going to ride this wave until it throws me off.

Jonathan Allison 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Perry and Wayne could develop quite the tandem to complement the one man wrecking crew of Andrew Wiggins.

Hopefully Perry and Wayne can continue their chemistry for at least one more year at KU.

jhox 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Bill needs to be careful with his NBA comments. Opposing coaches will use that against him in recruiting. Larry Brown would never seem to commit to his plans from one year to the next, and then he wondered why it was so tough to recruit to Kansas. He never seemed to understand that kids want to feel the coach recruiting them will be there for them, as long as they plan to stay.

Of course, the flip side to this is that we're recruiting more and more one and done type guys so as long as he commits to being at KU the next season, it won't affect those guys much.

I fear the San Antonio connections. Isn't Popovich due to retire soon?

REHawk 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Someone, of star potential, is likely to wear a red shirt this season...unless Self decides to go with an A Squad/B Squad innerchange (with an 11th guy in the mix). And that is not likely. Barring injury, I see 11 key players on this team, any 9 of whom could earn plenty of playing minutes (and I might be slighting #10 and #11, both of whom are experienced Bill Self returnees).

REHawk 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Reassuring to read that Selden looks, indeed, to be on the right track with DEFENSE. If the newcomers all buy in to Bill Self defense, KU will be very difficult to defeat this season. The only "problem" with scoring might lie in the coaching staff's untangling of the right combination of players to implement vs. various opposing lineups. Or occasional glimpses of individual mad scrambles for points (several of these newbies have, for years, been accustomed to leading their teams in scoring). Team play and buying into defense from the getgo look to be giant factors which will make or break this squad enroute to the accumulation of championships. Splendid player potential which will test the coaching staff mightily.

Ian Emerson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Selden is staying 2 years, barring a magical tournament run of course

Mel Clare 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Young.................but I like this team a lot! Deep at EVERY position!

Michael Johnson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

If, and when HCBS decides to leave, We will get the best young coach out there. We can reload coaches just like we reload players. I hope he stays another 10 years though. 800 wins is reachable.

KansasComet 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't if Coach Self will ever leave KU ato coach somewhere else. Doubtful that he would leave before his son graduates. The only two NBA teams I could see him coaching are The Thunder or The Spurs. He appears to be happy where he is.

The great thing about this year's squad is that it could be anyone's game to dominate. There's at least 8 players with the potential to go for 15+ on any given night. Selden, Ellis, White III, Greene, Tharpe, Frankamp, Embiid, and Wiggins. Can't say who will do what, but it will be fun to find out.

Jim Erickson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Perry Ellis will leave KU as one of the all time greats.

Year one he did well getting his feet wet. Year two he will be in a dynamic duo with Wiggens. Years 3-4 (if he stays) this will be his show.

okiedave 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Perry Ellis got his legs last year and system down. I project OSU is going to be very disappointed as a runner up as Big XII champs. K.U. is going to have a terrific team with a Final 4 appearance.

No worries about Self leaving Lawrence. Larry Brown has probably schooled Self on the pros and cons of that journey. Self's success as a coach has much to do with where he coaches. Bill is too smart to turn this gig over to somebody else.

Ian Emerson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I am still so excited about Wayne. Sure we will be a force to be recond with but don't forget that next year we should be favorites to win it all. Not to mention with Marcus gone to the draft Wayne will be the dominant guard on the conference.