Thursday, August 1, 2013

Marquel Combs can be serious

Colorful juco DT can ‘flip switch’

Kansas commit Marquel Combs. Rivals.com contributed photo.

Kansas commit Marquel Combs. Rivals.com contributed photo.

Thanks to his presence on Twitter and in interviews with the local media, top-rated junior-college prospect Marquel Combs made a name for himself as a bit of a jokester throughout his recruitment.

But now that the 6-foot-3, 290-pound defensive tackle has spent some time on campus, his Kansas University teammates say they’ve learned how to spot the difference between Marquel the comedian and Marquel the machine.

“It doesn’t take long when you’re hanging out with Marquel to figure that out,” senior defensive tackle Shane Smith said. “There’s the hard-working side of him, but then there’s that light-hearted, humorous side. He knows how to have fun but still put in work.”

Junior-college transfer Cassius Sendish said he and Combs developed a solid bond before spending time together. Most of that came through text messages or Twitter, and Sendish said that was where the two probable starters mapped out how they expected the 2013 season to unfold.

“Now that he’s here, everything we talked about before, we’re in the process of making it happen,” Sendish said.

Although Combs has stayed focused in the weight room this summer — Smith said his new teammate needed no transition period — he also has managed to be that fun-loving guy who became KU’s unofficial recruiting guru throughout the months of December and January.

“He knows when to flip the switch,” Sendish said. “He knows when he can be joking around, and he knows when it’s time to get down to business. He’s very well-rounded.”

Combs and the rest of the Jayhawks will begin fall camp Wednesday.

Bears ink ex-Jayhawk

The Chicago Bears on Wednesday signed former KU defensive end Josh Williams to a free-agent contract. The 6-4, 257-pound Williams started all 12 games for the Jayhawks in 2012 after transferring from Nebraska for his final season of eligibility.

Williams participated in Chicago’s mini-camp in May and was welcomed back this week because of a recent outbreak of injuries on the Bears’ defensive line.

Cornish honored

KU single-season rushing leader Jon Cornish got his seventh season in the Canadian Football League off to a great start in July, rushing for 501 yards and three touchdowns for the Calgary Stampeders and earning Canadian Player of the Month honors.

A native of Westminster, British Columbia, Cornish currently ranks second in the CFL in rushing and is coming off of a breakout season in which he set the CFL record for most rushing yards in a season by matching the exact total — 1,457 yards, on 258 carries — he recorded when he set KU’s single-season record in 2006.

Cornish is one of three Jayhawks playing in the CFL. Raymond Brown plays defensive back for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and Marcus Henry, a member of the 2008 Orange Bowl championship squad, is a receiver for the Edmonton Eskimos.

Comments

hawksquawk 1 year, 2 months ago

matching the exact number of yards and carries? How bizarre.

John Randall 1 year, 2 months ago

Not sure he meant the carries as well. Total yards is enough of a surprise.

Jhawk59 1 year, 2 months ago

Ray Brown played what, 32 snaps his whole KU career but he can play professionally? What coach whiffed on that one?!?

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 2 months ago

I love KU football, and the first thought I had was "who the hell is Ray Brown?"

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

A bit of advice: When you have a Jayhawks uniform on, keep that switch flipped to " serious ". There are already enough people who associate KU football with joking around.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Being serious in an atmosphere 24/7 will make the locker room a toxic environment and result in something happening in the locker room we don't want to see happen and result in truly embarrassing publicity for the school in line with the brawl between the football and basketball teams. It will also kill recruiting because nobody will want to be part of a locker room that is wound as tight as it would without having any fun. I have been in a couple of work environments that were just so unproductive because of boss wound too tight and quitting those jobs were two of the happiest days of my life. Combs appears to have found the balance between having fun, but making sure to get his job done first and those can be the best environments to be part of.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

OK - be serious on the field then. Not as serious as you are right now, but serious.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 2 months ago

I got your message. I hear what you are saying. Of course we all want the players to have fun and enjoy their time on campus. God knows we did! I think we all know what you meant and I think the players obviously do as well. We're on the same page nuleaf!

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

Winning ONE game a year can also be toxic! Especially for ME! Serious please!

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 2 months ago

Nah! nule rules and anybody who doesn't get it won't get it!!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

ralster, I agree with the sarcasm font comment!

I've been a KU fan for a long - LONG time and while I am very proud of our basketball history and success, I am really tired of KU football being seen as a laughingstock by the rest of the world. For that matter, by some of our own fans. I want our players, coaches and fans to be serious about football. Maybe when we "arrive" we can joke around some.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 2 months ago

A really good start would be getting the fans to stay to the end of the game. Leaving the game early is a poke in the eye of the team IMO. It makes our fans look like part-time, fair weather fans. Maybe that should be fair whether, whether they win or lose.

CrystalJones 1 year, 2 months ago

If we ever win, or have a reasonable chance of winning, I think they'll stay. It's just that we don't win or having winning seasons except once or twice per decade. Maybe there's something to the theory that you're either a b-ball school or a football school, but can't be both over the long run. KSU decided to become a football school in the late '80s and their then-excellent b-ball program immediately tanked.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I have seen people leave when we were UP 20+ points at halftime. I don't understand it at all. I'm not talking about a few people, I mean thousands. I don't like a 50 pt drubbing any more than the next person, but we've got to start staying for the whole game.

Al Martin 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey, when you've witnessed as many in-person 50 point drubbings go the wrong way as I have, I'll stay to the bitter end if we're on the good side. It's one of the saddest points of my life that I could not attend homecoming in 2007, when we laid 76 on Nebraska.

And don't think my friends don't remind me every damned year.

But as for your point, I really never understood people leaving football games, at least when the weather is nice. Memorial Stadium, regardless of its current state of decay, sits in one of the prettiest spots of my favorite city. I love spending all afternoon there.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 2 months ago

Agreed. I want us to be relevant in football! It's not as if we can just stop playing football if we did it would be bye bye big12. I love football and I think a lot of the fan base does as well. Losing doesn't breed support. I agree we need to show strong support for Weis, Combs and the rest of the team! Rock Chalk!

CrystalJones 1 year, 2 months ago

Agree, nuleaf. KU football, irrespective of the stars-aligning-just-right 2007 team, is seen as a laughingstock, and our b-ball program simply doesn't compensate for it. Basketball is nowhere near as important among BCS schools as football is. Heck, any number of small schools, like Gonzaga, Butler, Georgetown, etc., are regular basketball powers. That means that our image is at the bottom of the BCS barrel (like Wake Forest and Duke) when it comes to the most important sport. It stinks, but that's the unfortunate reality.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

You can try:

/S to star sarcasm and end it with S/

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

/S LOL /S

It's a good idea JayHawkFanToo, but I'll probably just let 'em figure it out on their own.

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

Slightly ambitious I would say. I m thinking more like 3 to 4 wins may be a little more realistic. Maybe.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Snyder, Mason and Mangino averaged a 43% win percentage in their second years. Are you saying that Saint Bill didn't deserve a ringing endorsement?

scootja32 1 year, 2 months ago

If ku scores 39 or more a game and shuts every team out and goes 19-o, do u think they'll let us play the super bowl winner in the biggest game of all time?

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Wow, that's a lot of drinking encapsulated in a one-sentence post.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 2 months ago

Mr. Tait,

Any news on the WR Transfer? Nick Harwell I think his his name? The guy from ohio?