Originally published April 30, 2013 at 03:09p.m., updated May 1, 2013 at 12:45a.m.

Cole Aldrich completes KU degree in NBA, will graduate this month

Sacramento Kings center Cole Aldrich (45) dunks in front of Oklahoma City Thunder forward Nick Collison (4) in the fourth quarter of an NBA basketball game in Oklahoma City, Monday, April 15, 2013. Oklahoma City won 104-95.

Cole Aldrich didn’t nap, watch movies or work on his financial portfolio on NBA charter flights during the 2012-13 season.

The former Kansas University center, who left college after his junior year about 20 hours short of fulfilling requirements for a degree in communication studies, spent those captive hours with his nose in books — KU textbooks.

“I can tell you, when we were on the plane from San Antonio going to Houston (on season-ending road trip), I was not too excited. I was writing papers, reading, doing all that stuff,” said the 6-foot-11, 240-pound Sacramento Kings pivot, proud to report on Tuesday that his persistence has paid off.

College basketball’s 2010 Academic All-American of the Year will graduate on May 19 and walk down the hill in KU Commencement ceremonies at Memorial Stadium.

“(On last road trip) I sat by Jimmer on the plane. He is doing a little bit of class right now, too,” Aldrich said of former BYU standout Jimmer Fredette. “He was like, ‘I don’t know how you’re doing it.’ It was just one of those things I just wanted to get done with and not have to worry about doing homework again.

“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Aldrich added of graduating college. “It’s something I can be proud of the rest of my life.”

Aldrich — who is wrapping up his degree requirements prior to his July wedding (in Minnesota) to former KU student Britt Claflin — said the hardest part, “would be coming back from practice and not having any ambition to sit down and do homework. You are on a roadtrip (and say), ‘I’ve got two weeks until this paper is due. I want to do this, go to dinner with the guys.’”

Instead, Aldrich said he would say: “I’ve got to get homework done, first.’”

KU coach Bill Self knew Aldrich was committed to finishing his KU coursework.

“We are all proud that Cole accomplished this goal,” Self said Tuesday. “He was the Academic All-American of the Year and when he left early he said he was going to graduate from KU. He kept to his plan and worked hard to earn his degree. I know we are as happy for him as his family is.”

As far as putting the degree to use ... Aldrich hopes that’s still years down the line. An unrestricted free agent who earned $2,445,480 playing for Oklahoma City, Houston and Sacramento this past season, Aldrich is free to sign with any team.

He’s hoping a solid performance down the stretch with the Kings — he scored 12 points and grabbed 13 rebounds against Oklahoma City and had 12 points and 12 boards vs. Houston in two of the final three games — will help him net a lucrative second NBA contract.

“The fun thing is there’s opportunity some places and there’s other opportunities other places. The good thing for me ... being an unrestricted free agent, we can see where those opportunities are for me to get out there and play,” Aldrich said.

“For me, it’s maybe been a different road than some other guys. I went lottery (No. 11 overall in 2010 draft). A lot of guys had the opportunity to go play and do things on the court. Me being on a really, really good team (OKC), that opportunity wasn’t there for me to get on the court. Toward the end of the season, I showed all the hard work I put in the last two years is really paying off. I have the most confidence in myself. I know I can play. It’s just a matter of time and matter of opportunity of getting out there playing.”

Cole’s camp: Aldrich will hold a camp for youngsters kindergarten to eighth grade June 24-27 at Olathe Northwest. Details are available at colealdrich.com.

Collison a good sport: Former KU forward Nick Collison of the OKC Thunder placed fifth in voting for the 2012-13 NBA sportsmanship award. Jason Kidd was winner, followed by Stephen Curry, Luol Deng and Mike Conley.

Sherron in house: Former KU guards Sherron Collins and Mario Little attended Tuesday night’s KU-Wichita State baseball game, as did current players Kevin Young and Naadir Tharpe. Collins said he planned to live in Lawrence this summer and work out with KU strength and conditioning coach Andrea Hudy.

Comments

Waylon Cook 1 year, 4 months ago

Neat to see just wish he had stayed and graduated.

90sHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Why? I'm sure your reason is unselfish. Whether he received his degree in 2011 or 2013, it makes no difference.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

No difference to his game anyway : )

Rocky Darger 1 year, 4 months ago

Ralster nailed it ........................and I think Mr. Aldrich's family was having some financial difficulties because his father had been layed off from work. Plus getting a million or two is a lot of incentive.

702Hawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Way to go Cole. Love Jayhawks who left for better opportunities that still make time to self improve. Rock Chalk

fearthephog512 1 year, 4 months ago

Congrats! Cole should definitely be able to find his way back onto a NBA roster, too. Portland, perhaps?

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

It's too bad Cole was drafted by a team that didn't employ an offensive system that he's a good fit in. We might've won the title in 2011 with him if he stayed.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe..could have hindered the development of Withey.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

Um....so he's not on the Kings any more?

Heck, in 2 of his last 3 gms. he had 12 & 12 and 12 & 13.

Combined 12-13 FGs w/ 4 blocks in those 2 gm's.

He got more play than Robinson who it seems the Rockets didn't care to get. :(

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

He is still with the Kings. Check your link, first name on the roster...

fearthephog512 1 year, 4 months ago

Cole is now an unrestricted free agent, and is actively looking for a team. It's odd the Kings would let him go, too, because he had back-to-back double doubles in their last two games.

Um..no. Rockets decline option on Cole Aldrich:

I think the 2.2 ppg and 2.7 rpg probably stood out more than having 2 good game at the end of the season.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

jhawk7782, did you notice the date on that story? Aldrich was traded to Sacramento long after that story was written.

Phil Leister 1 year, 4 months ago

Love seeing stories like this. It's a shame he hasn't had more of an impact in the league, but he's one of my favorite Jayhawks. I'll always love the guy who had the guts to wear jorts all over KU's campus!

LubbockJhawk85 1 year, 4 months ago

Always nice to see a millionaire come back and finish what he started, even though he doesn't really NEED his degree. I wish he'd get a shot with a team where he fits in better, but he's had one guaranteed contract and he'll be just fine no matter what happens with his career from here. Rock Chalk!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Agree..plus his wife is a hottie. Way to go Cole!

Sandeep Kalburgie 1 year, 4 months ago

Our 2014 recruiting seems to be lagging behind other programs :(

texashawk10 1 year, 4 months ago

Because KU may not officially have a scholarship available for 2014 depending on how the rest of this year's recruiting class turns out.

Hawk8086 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes, and Self always seems to want to fulfill all of the scholarships instead of saving 1 or 2 for the following year (yes, I realize that as of now there are 2 left). It would be interesting to know how coaches "finesse" a situation where they technically don't have a scholarship available and how much of an effect this has on potential recruits.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't know about that. The only one who would go beyond next year, which wouldn't free up a scholarship that supposedly we have interest in is Allerik Freeman.

Otherwise, A. Wiggins = OAD & Tarik Black would use his last yr. of elig. up next season.

And we're still being mentioned prominently with some high-level recruits so...??? Honestly, not that many have really committed yet.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

High recruits in 2014 or '15. The cupboard is bare for 2013 except for Wiggens.

Maybe a transfer?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

You don't think Self would sign Trevor Lacey if the opportunity was there?

I'm fairly certain he would.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

iamjay- Don't look now but KU has a chance at Okafor and Jones as a packaged deal. May be a long shot, but Self's in home went really well with Okafor. He seems to be tight with Selden and Greene too. We get Okafor, we might just get Jones as a bonus. Our pt guard play will be interesting over the next 1-2 yrs.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

Self is overdue to sign a major pt guard, since Turner. KU missed Turner and Smart. He's stayed with combos up to this point, but KU is due a major pt guard, numero uno pt guard.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

McLaughlin likes us and he's still Top 25.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

iamjayhawk .. I would worry about it a lot more if we didn't already have so many talented sophomores and incoming freshmen.

REHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Congrats on your finishing the degree, Cole. Good luck with your playing, wherever you should land. Thanks lots for those 3 Jayhawk years!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Cole, take the money and move to Europe. No, wait, Europe is in depression. See if Berlin has a team. Buy Berlin real estate. It's inflating because of all the other euro states imploding and money seeking safe harbor in Berlin properties. Stay two years. Cash out. Retire a year. Become a big man coach. Raise kids. Circumnavigate the world.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 4 months ago

Not a bad way to go. Young, new wife, no kids.....Paris, Barcelona, Zurich, etc. are all nice any time of the year when compared to Sacramento or Houston.

KJD 1 year, 4 months ago

Love it. Congratulations Cole.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 4 months ago

Think he leaves the tooth missing for intimidation? humor? Now that he's got his degree, maybe...

Rock Chalk, Cole!!!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 4 months ago

Congratulation Cole, you always said you wanted to complete your degree; nice to see that you are fulfilling that dream.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 4 months ago

Watching the video's of both give me a feeling that the non- conference schedule could get pretty exciting. These are very talented Freshmen with the most talented coach. Wayne and Perry need to dominate immediately out of the chute. There are 4 strong big men ready to play. We might not know the final two starters until the opening with the local Kansas school, Emporia, Fort Hayes State etc.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

I am curious, who are the "4 strong big men ready to play" that you are referring to?

Phil Leister 1 year, 4 months ago

Perry and Jamari, both ready to play. No one other than Bill and the team has seen Landen play in the last year, but I anticipate him being ready to contribute. And Embiid is a future NBA player, not sure how "ready" he'll be by opening night, but he'll have a good year.

I assume those are the four he was referring to. I'm sure you'll take issue with the "readiness" of them though.

SilverfernJay 1 year, 4 months ago

ESPN has Embiid at #6 now and Selden at #15

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

Yep- JoJo just jumped Dakari Johnson as the #1 center in the nation. We have the #1 center according to ESPN.

Rock Chalk JoJo

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

JFT,

What a nice new trend!

actorman 1 year, 4 months ago

"Cole Aldrich completes KU degree in NBA ..."

I know that KU has become a basketball factory, but isn't a degree in NBA a bit much???

Seriously, good job Cole, and congrats! I know that was important to you.

That is a horribly written headline, though ...

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe the " NBA " stands for Next Best Alternative.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 4 months ago

Great accomplishment and insurance policy. I hope that others who have departed early will "Pay Heed"!

mikehawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Congratulations, Cole. Speaks volumes about your character. Also, it is darn smart for the long haul. Best wishes to you and Britt. Good things ahead my friend.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 4 months ago

Finishing 20 hours of a communications degree in 3 years while basically working part time?

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd be interested to see how you come to your conclusion that playing in the NBA is "basically working part time." These players are constantly traveling during the season, up late for games and onto the next city ready to play the following night. When they do have days off, its time spent working out and in practice preparing for the next stretch of games. Now I know he has the off season to work on his degree, but keep in mind Cole was on the Thunder for a couple of those years where they played deep into the post season. When they finally get to the "off-season," these players spend their time preparing for the following season. Hardly seems like a "part time job" and to be honest, I'm impressed he was able to finish those 20 hours in 3 years since he probably was only able to take a few hours each semester.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

rockchalk: Ok, you're making this now way more significant than it really is. And you're way too easily impressed.

It's a nice story. Glad he got his degree. We can post nice things about a good guy.

Cole's achievement is commendable. It's nice. But far from impressive. I have no idea why folks think they have to make something like this into something that it is not, just because the guy played at KU.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 4 months ago

HEM - because not everyone always agrees with you. Shocking news, I know, but deal with it.

There are all kinds of distractions in this world and few are as ever-present or powerful as being surrounded by money, fans, travel, media, etc., etc.

No need to compare accomplishments, what Cole has done is IMPRESSIVE.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 4 months ago

At 20 years old if HEM got paid 2.4 million he would have finished his MBA in 9 weeks. This is small potatoes to him.

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 4 months ago

HEM, you are right that there are people who finish entire degrees in the same timespan while working a real job. Those people are the rare exception rather than the rule however, especially since it is more common for students to take 5+ years to finish their undergraduate degrees now.

My being impressed with him finishing the degree is both a combination of how fast he did it while playing professional basketball as well as the fact that he stuck it out when quotes in the article state how there were times he was frustrated and just wanted to do anything but his homework. It wouldn't be easy to watch your teammates go out as a group while you stay in the hotel working on an assignment. I don't think I'm overplaying this considering how many players leave early and never finish their degrees.

GoHawkYourself, yes these players are not spending every waking minute in the gym, but that hardly means he's leaving practice and going to sit on his couch until the next time he has to be at the facility. As I said, there are times when they travel after games, arrive late at night/early in the morning. I'm sure the last thing any of us would want to do is crack open a textbook or work on an upcoming paper during that flight or the next morning before team commitments. When you start factoring out the time available during the day, that's how I reach my conclusion that this is a more involved job than you or HEM make it out to be.

Clearly we don't see eye to eye on this, sorry you felt the need to resort to sarcasm and attacks to prove your points. Yes it is a communications degree, and that is not the most difficult/demanding degree you could earn from KU, but in today's NBA culture, it is rare for players to have a degree, and is a good thing that he finished this goal he set for himself.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

At 20 years old, if I had $2.4 million, I would not have finished college, period.

I guess if someone wants to be impressed, have at it.

I was impressed that my oldest son remembered to lock his car doors, so it is a matter of perspective.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Agree completely. What you did is very impressive ... I guess my post was based on hard working guys like you (for the definition of impressive).

And thanks for the inside info on Roberson when he visited.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 4 months ago

Oh you're right, my bad. They definitely workout/train 9 hours a day even on game days:

And that's probably one of the hardest working men in the NBA, so yes I stick with my term part-time. Taking 1 three hour class every 6 months for a communications degree while getting NBA treatment doesn't strike me as challenging.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 4 months ago

My guess would be guys like Cole spend more than 4 hours a day working on their game so they can get better and earn more PT. Naturally gifted super stars like Kobe, Kevin, Lebron.... aren't out to steal some more minutes. They know how many minutes they're going to play the next game if they practice 4 hours or 6 hours. In contrast, if Cole puts in more work practicing and gets better he's more likely to pick up some minutes that were going to Hayes and Cousins.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

No professional athletes in MLB, NBA or NFL work part time...even during the off-season.

Someone ALWAYS wants your job. Off-season conditioning is what separates the stars from the rest.

JacquesMerde 1 year, 4 months ago

Do I note sarcasm in "But being a multi-millionaire with loads free time, finishing 20 hours of work over a three year period of time is not an impressive feat. Some people get full college degrees in the three years while working a real job."

Anyone who attended college in recent years knows that Communication Studies is a grueling degree. You would need to score between 70 and 80 on the I.Q. Test to make it!! Communications is a favorite major for athletes since P.E. prerequisites began to include quantum mechanics and organic chemistry. I may be wrong on these two classes, but something like them.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

THESE ARE ALL GREAT QUESTIONS AND SERIOUS ISSUES, BUT NO ONE HAS ASKED THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE.....DID COLE EVERV REPLACE HIS TOOTH!!!???

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 4 months ago

So Wiggins is down to fsu or KU? calapari told coach K said he is not going to kentucky?

The rumors I heard and then backed up by a quick online search, where is the story kusports?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 4 months ago

Buddy at work told me about this so i looked into it

www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/forum_topic/12398341/

Ted Hume 1 year, 4 months ago

thanks: I pasted the comment below. COULD MEAN NOTHING AND BE TOTALLY FABRICATED, obviously, but interesting....

" FSU, Kansas Lead for Wiggins. UNC and UK 2nd Tier"

"Keeping It Heel just keeps on delivering! Apparently, over the weekend in Hampton, VA at the EYBL Nike Games, Coach Cal told Coach K that Wiggins father is dead-set on his son attending FSU or Kansas. No real surprise here, as UNC came in the game very late and UK was referred to as "very, very deep" by Wiggins himself. I've always thought it was FSU, but we should find out for sure here in the next few weeks.

Anything is possible, but I'll stick with FSU.

Keeping it Heel -- please keep delivering the goods! "

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

Congrats Cole. Interesting how some are saying he "doesn't need it"(and he doesn't), but it's fulfilling to accomplish a life goal. A degree is definitely a commitment made and should be kept. I admire Cole's commitment and desire to complete his degree under what many fail to appreciate.

This would be a great piece to research. Either Bedore, Keegs, Jessie, or Matt should do a piece on KU's early departures and how many completed their degrees or are in the process of competing their degrees. Cole will also count toward KU's student athlete grad rate too. I'd also like to compare KU to some of the other "blue blood" programs and learn their record too for an overall grad rate of early departed athletes. How many of them returned and complete their degrees? KU just graduated 4 seniors who walked the Hill.

The question is not their GPAs (although that's a second part of this study), but simple grad rate. Then throw in the GPAs and see what program has the overall higher GPA that graduate. If I remember, Cole was an Academic AA? Again, great accomplishment. I do believe that KU had the highest grad rate and might even go further, a better GPA specifically with bball athletes. I also believe Reed was an AAA. He didn't play much but Kleinmann was also up there with a great GPA too in the School of Architecture. Where was JW, KY, EJ, Rel? BMac was around a 3.0.

notjustbread 1 year, 4 months ago

Way to go Cole. As a fellow KU Communications Studies degree holder, I salute you.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

An Open letter to Andrew Wiggins.

Andrew,

If you are reading this site, please consider coming to Kansas. Ms Hudy will prepare your body...Coach Self will prepare your mind ....and Jayhawk Nation will prepare your soul.

I know your Mom and Dad most likely want you to follow their legacy and I appreciate that, however, you can start your own legacy here at the University of Kansas. I know the chemistry is there already with your buds Joel and Wayne, and I know you'd blend in immediately with the rest of the guys.

I know it would be great to win a National Championship with the Harrisons and Randle and the rest of the Wildcats....but wouldn't it be even more fun to win a National Championship by BEATING them!!!

Best of luck in your decision.

Sincerely, OakvilleJHawk.

PS Thanks for not giving Missouri even a sniff!!!

ku_foaf 1 year, 4 months ago

Congratulations to Cole for all his hard work!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

Still didn't have F. Mason in the Top 100 like Rivals did (didnt' Rivals have him like 87th or something?)

Nevermind - posted only after reading your 1st couple of sentences :)

***Interesting that Karviar Shepherd who we had a REAL interest in before he decided on TCU took a MASSIVE nosedive. I want to say that he was AT LEAST Top 40-50 before and in their final Top 100 is only something like 77th now!!!

BeeJay Anya with maybe even MORE of a nosedive. I think he was in the top 25-30 at one time and now they have him 67th.

Curious that Semi Ojeleye rose another few spots while Frankamp & Greene fell a couple of spots. What's up with that?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

Lastly, the highest rated 2013 newcomer to the Big XII outside of Kansas is 42nd ranked 6'-8, 220 lb PF, Devin Williams for West Virginina from out of Cincinnati, OH.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Holy cow .. Embiid #6???

ESPN doesn't rank post grad guys like Mason, right?

Michael Bennett 1 year, 4 months ago

On a side note, Embiid is now ranked 6th overall in ESPN's final rankings for class of 2013 recruits.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

:)...I was just going to post that....looks like you beat me to it!

Yeah, I think only Ju. Randle & An. Harrison are ahead of him among the UK recruits now. If we actually got Wiggins we'd actually have the same number within the top 6! :)

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 4 months ago

Bleacher Report indicates Angel Rodriguez is seeking a hardship transfer, to be closer to his family in Puerto Rico, from KSU to Miami.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 4 months ago

I wonder if the exit of Shane Larkin infected him with homesickness.

JayDocMD 1 year, 4 months ago

Dooley should try to snag him.

Big_Dipper 1 year, 4 months ago

Congrats Cole! I was disappointed when you left KU, but I understand and I am happy you completed your degree!

Any chance we can use his GPA for the team this year? ;)

On a side note, ESPN released their final top 100 today. Congrats to Joel Embiid, who not only jumped more, but he jumped all the way into the top 10 of the final standings. He is ranked 6th now with a grade of 95. He is also listed as the top center now, ahead of UK's Dakari Johnson. Just a few months ago I think he was listed somewhere in the 130s. Just shows what hard work can do. Also have to admit, once again Coach Self can sure find the diamonds in the rough. He may not always go after the players everyone talks about in the beginning, but he gets the right ones for his system and makes them even better. People have been saying KU's string of consecutive lottery picks will end this year with Ben MacLemore, however if Embiid keeps working hard, he too could be a one and done next year.

Others listed:

14 Wayne Seldon

46 Conner Frankamp

47 Brannen Greene

Frank Mason not listed in top 100. I thought he was in the previous update. Guess he dropped out.

Anyways, congrats to all of the recruits this year! Can't wait for the new season to start. I also kind of hope that unless we get Wiggins, Coach Self doesn't add anyone else. I think this is a great group of players along with our returning players, and will still be a great team!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Big_Dipper 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow, I didn't intend for the text to be that big. I used the pound sign for 'number', but I guess that means to make the text larger instead.

Rivals Ratings:

12 Wayne Selden

25 Joel Embiid

29 Brannen Greene

34 Conner Frankamp

76 Frank Mason

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Big_Dipper .. Mason was never in ESPN top 100. I'm not sure on this, but I don't think ESPN ranks post-grad guys like Mason.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

You're a cornucopia of knowledge sir.

Big_Dipper 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks, I must have been thinking about Rivals instead.

Team Rankings

2. KANSAS

2013 commits (National rank) SG Wayne Selden (12) C Joel Embiid (25) SF Brannen Greene (29) PG Conner Frankamp (34) PG Frank Mason (76) Bill Self and his staff have put together what should be a tremendous class. Selden looks to be an instant impact wing player while Embiid is oozing with upside. Greene and Frankamp are deadly from deep and Mason is one of the toughest point guards around.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't know what's up with the big friggen letters..but I apologize.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Put a punctuation mark behind the word "Rankings"...that seems to set the following font size to regular when you lead off with a number on the next line.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 4 months ago

Love seeing that Embiid has moved up the rankings. It shows that people in the know think he is the real deal. That said I don't really think it matters where he is ranked. It is really more of how will he adapt to the college game. Perry took almost 3/4 of the year to look comfortable out there and he is a 4 year stud in high school while Joel just started playing 2 years ago. I have to think he will be really raw for the first half of the season if not the entire season offensively but man he looks like an incredible athlete. It will be fun to watch him this year.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

Even ESPN's experts while ranking him that high said they're doing so based on long-term potential and envision him as a 2AD....NOT an OAD.

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

6 Joel Embiid Video | Scouts Report C Gainesville, FL The Rock School 6'11'' 230 95 Kansas Signed

7 Dakari Johnson Video | Scouts Report C Brooklyn, NY Montverde Academy 6'10'' 250 95 Kentucky Signed

Joe Baker 1 year, 4 months ago

I totally understand the Wiggins and FSU family connection. I'm having a real hard time buying it though. IF it were a family thing, it seems Nick would've gone to FSU. The more I learn and read the more I think it's either FSU or KU. If he doesn't pick FSU it seems his dad may want him at KU. If he doesn't pick KU, then his dad wants him at FSU. Now, I don't know why Nick would pick WSU when he would've had the opportunity to play with his brother at FSU, eventually. I just don't think the family thing is a big factor in his choice.

UNC came in late and uk is stacked. FSU only offers family tradition, but he leaves with very little from FSU accept his parents' gratitude for choosing the family alma mater. I don't think FSU will do much even with Wigs. He's great, but he's one player. He may be a OAD, but I think he'd like to leave college with something, if not a college degree, maybe a NC. He's guaranteed a B12 Conference Championship at KU. He won't leave college empty handed.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 4 months ago

Nick was a three star player out of the juco ranks with only 1 high d1 offer, and it wasnt Florida St. He plays for a mid-major for a reason, even if WSU isn't your run of the mill mid-major. He wasn't even a rotation player in their tourney run. I suppose he could've walked on at FSU in the hopes of drawing his brother, but my inclination is that the younger Wiggins was/is always going to do what is best for him. Also, KU came in just as late ad UNC, as most people just assumed he was UK or FSU and his coach lobbied the other blue bloods to join the party.

Hawk8086 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, I had vowed not to comment on Wiggins. I have always assumed that unitl proven otherwise, he was going to you know where. With the posting from Cleveland and Ted, I now have hope that the chance for a NC with KU would trump the family connection. However, the information is probably bs and I just fell for it.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 4 months ago

FYI - ESPN has Embiid rank #6 in their final 2013 rankings. Pretty frickin' amazing!

Ian Emerson 1 year, 4 months ago

I bet we get wiggins. If we was going to FSU he would have announces it by now. There are too many options in NC and if that's that case he will never go to UK. Bold prediction, the second B Mac enters the draft Coach will get a phone call. That call will be Andrew Wiggins giving his commitment too KU.

Hawk8086 1 year, 4 months ago

What do you mean..........the second BMac enters the draft? He has already entered.

KanKu 1 year, 4 months ago

Cole was a great representative of KU. Selfishly, how good does it look for KU to have a guy show the stick-to-it-ness to get his degree from the university he attended during his playing days. I must say I was glad to see him go when he did, both monetarily for his family situation and for KU's sake, as it was time to roll with the twins and T-Rob.

As far as Wiggs goes.....my hopes have now unfortunately increased as well due to the recent posts and links. I mean, looking through crimson-colored glasses I see the only viable option is KU. I realistically don't see him choosing KU, nor do I want to ponder over it further as I feel it takes away from the great class that has already committed sans the drama/indecision.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 4 months ago

I meant selected in the draft