Monday, April 29, 2013

Dayne Crist grateful for shot at NFL

National team quarterback Dayne Crist (10) of Kansas holds up the trophy as head coach Dick Vermeil, right, and NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith celebrate after the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 in Carson, Calif. (Ric Tapia/AP Images for NFLPA)

He was benched midway through a disappointing 2012 season, never regained the five-star form he had out of high school and finished his college career with little hope for a pro career.

But even with all of that stacked against him, former Kansas University quarterback Dayne Crist on Saturday night fielded a call from the Kansas City Chiefs and accepted an invitation to mini-camp in a couple of weeks.

“I am incredibly grateful and thankful for the opportunity to continue pursuing my dream,” Crist said Sunday night from California. “I can’t thank my family, friends and coaches enough for helping me reach this point.”

After a five-year college career that had more lows than highlights and tested him in every way imaginable, the 6-foot-4, 235-pound former Notre Dame quarterback somehow finds himself in the same position his five-star pedigree and sterling high school statistics led many to believe he would be in when the ride began prior to the 2008 season: in an NFL camp, competing to make a roster.

In many ways, the undrafted-free-agent route could not have worked out better for Crist. In Kansas City, Crist will compete with career back-ups Chase Daniel and Ricky Stanzi, as well as second-year pro Alex Tanney and fellow undrafted free agent Tyler Bray, out of Tennessee, for roster spots behind new starter Alex Smith.

Crist will not be alone on the quest. Fellow Jayhawks Bradley McDougald, a safety who signed a free-agent deal with the Chiefs after the completion of the draft, and Toben Opurum, a defensive end/fullback, who like Crist, received an invitation to camp, also will report to Kansas City’s mini-camp on May 9.

“I’m just excited to have an opportunity,” Opurum said. “Plenty of athletes in this country could be given a chance, and it’s a blessing that multiple guys from KU were able to get that chance, despite how the season went.”

Patterson stays positive

Former KU wide receiver Daymond Patterson is one of a handful of Jayhawks still looking for an opportunity in the NFL. Patterson, a 5-8, 180-pound play-maker, said his agent had talked to a handful of NFL teams and was continuing to let them know the Mesquite, Texas, native is still out there.

Known throughout his career for his active Twitter presence, Patterson has been open about his appreciation for the love and support he has received from friends, family and fans since the completion of last weekend’s draft.

“It was disappointing not getting picked up by now, but life goes on,” he said. “When I first got to KU, I didn’t think I was gonna play right away, I didn’t think I was gonna be switched to defense, and I didn’t think I was gonna play for three head coaches, five quarterbacks and five position coaches either.

“But I didn’t question things then, and I’m not gonna question what’s happening right now. I’m just gonna put my head down and keep going to work.”

Comments

jhawk1998 11 months, 3 weeks ago

How about mentioning that Crist was MVP of the Collegiate Bowl? That is why he is holding up a trophy. He has had accolades more recent than high school.

kay_you 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The same organization that has not been able to find a replacement for Len Dawson and has signed it's 4th ex-49er QB. Hope Dayne can find a job with them but this is not a team that knows how to evaluate QB talent.

Terran Woolley 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I have been in that same daze since Lew torpedoed the program and hired Herpe Derp.

JakeBarnes 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope he makes it, and becomes one of the best of all time. Still, I can't fathom the thinking of the Chief's coaches, etal.

Again, Opurum was the best player KU had for the last four years. I can't understand why he wasn't snapped up by some team as a possibility. The last I heard was the Ravens and Cardinals were interested. I haven't heard if KC or Dallas did anything about him other than show an interest several weeks ago.

I've been a daze since KU, the coach and the guard, booted away our chances in basketball. The coach by not taking the guard out of the game and using the smaller guard who was more in control.

vd 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Opurum made his mistake 4 yrs. ago when he refused to play fullback. Had he gone that route, he would have learned how to block, and would probably have been drafted. Wearing my crimson and blue glasses, I'm guessing he would have been better then the Kitty fullback, who was drafted.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Agreed with kellerman up above.

Has everyone gone insane in thinking Patterson and Crist should play a single down in the NFL? They had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen out of a QB and WR in the college game.

Dayne Crist....Jordan Webb played twice as well as he did. And Webb went into the fetal position when a defender was within 5 yards of him (See the Missouri game that year).

As for Patterson...disappointing senior display, and that's being gracious. No touchdowns by wide receivers. I reiterate...Patterson DID NOT GET A SINGLE TOUCHDOWN during his senior season, and he feels he should be playing professional football.

I guess the Kool-Aid flowed even more than I thought last year.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I appreciate that the Chiefs are reaching out to the KU guys (and two other schools whose names we do not mention). Smart PR move and much appreciated by Jayhawk nation.

Jason Keller 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I always root for Jayhawks even after they leave but my lord, what makes any receiver who played at KU in the last 4 years think that they could be NFL material? Honestly, I feel like most of them were D2 guys. Just compare the way Briscoe and Kerry played to Daymond Patterson... after you do that, realize that even Briscoe has been a fringe guy since he got in the league. He's been hanging around the bottom of rotations for a few years now and was even recently cut.... luckily he mad another team. Like I said, I hope Daymond makes a team and proves everyone wrong but was he surprised when he didn't get drafted? Who told this kid he might get drafted? Sounds like his agent is blowing smoke..

Phil Leister 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It's too bad for Daymond. But really, 5-8 is just too freakin small to make it in the NFL unless you're really special.

JHWKDW 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Good Luck Dayne!You got a tough road ahead, but If you do not make the Chiefs roster, hope you make it somewhere!Best wishes.