Thursday, April 25, 2013

KU to play New Mexico in men’s basketball

Kansas University's basketball team will play the University of New Mexico on Dec. 14 in Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., KU officials confirmed Thursday.

It will be a one-time game with no return game to UNM.

Former KU guard Merv Lindsay will be eligible at New Mexico next season.

Comments

fearthephog512 1 year, 6 months ago

Revenge of the Merv(s).

I'm glad they scheduled this. It will undoubtedly be a quality RPI game, as UNM is a solid up-and-coming program.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

New Mexico just lost their coach Steve Lavin. He took the UCLA job. Not sure who their coach will be next year, but it's not likely he'll be as good as Lavin and the program is likely to be in transition. Yes, some players will be good, but coaching and organization may be an issue.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 6 months ago

That's an ironic typo considering Steve Lavin is a former UCLA coach.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Dang-it. I think Lavin is off at St. Johns, isn't he? Thanks for helping straighten me out.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

Alford?? I think not since he is leaving for UCLA. Dana Altman will be the new head coach for New Mexico and imho is just as capable if not better than fair weather Allford. Coach Knight recognized the true opportunist that was Allford who I believe is not nearly ready to fill the seat that the ghost of John Wooden still leaves behind.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

What are you talking about coloradojayhawk? Steve Lavin has been coaching at St. John's for the last couple of years. Lavin has held the top coaching position since 2010. Lavin has NEVER coached a single game at New Mexico. Why not try fact checker in future post. Allford has been coaching New Mexico since 2007. The ONLY change is that Altman will take over at New Mexico and Allford will move on to UCLA.

Does anyone do the minimal amount of research or just make up the cr** on the fly? I make more than enough controversial decisions but DAMN.. This is pathetic.

Hawk68 1 year, 6 months ago

If you check YOUR facts you will find that Alford's assistant, Craig Neal, is his replacement as head coach. Altman has nothing to do with UNM.

kupride4u 1 year, 6 months ago

Funny you ask about making stuff up on the fly since Altman is NOT taking over at New Mexico. Craig Neal is their new coach. Perhaps you should do the minimal amount of research. Altman is at Oregon

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

coloradojayhawk "New Mexico just lost their coach Steve Lavin."

That is quite a feat considering he has never coached a single game at New Mexico.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 6 months ago

That will be a great game to see where we stand before conference play.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Duke, Georgetown, Florida, Colorado, San Diego St., and New Mexico along with potentially Michigan St. in the Bahamas. That is one heck of a non-conference schedule.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

No doubt and what better opportunity to play the new recruits in games that will basically decide nothing. I'm looking forward to seeing Lucas and Embiid take control of the inside game while our guards start putting threes together. It's a young team but I see plenty of unpolished talent just raring to make their mark.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

Help me out jaybeat.. Was today supposed to be "ridiculous post day" and I missed it?

Lobo_Bulls_Fan 1 year, 6 months ago

C'mon MAN!!!! If you don't have class at least show that you have brains...you must have failed Geography.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Relax, it's a quote from the Simpsons. I believe it was said by Mr. Burns who said it.

Lex Valdez 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, I cant wait to see this one. Ive always dreamt of this game since I was a kid (now 30) because I`m from Albuquerque, NM, and have to hear it from these lobo fans! lol but I represent KU to the fullest!,,, Rock Chalk!!!!

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 6 months ago

Us: The Phog Them: The Pit

Must be hard to recruit a kid to come play in a pit!

odc213 1 year, 6 months ago

The Pit is actually a classic venue, and while I understand we are not returning the game, a home and home wouldn't be a bad deal.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Didn't Giddens transfer to New Mexico also?? Interesting coincidence.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

Yup.. Didn't help his game a whole lot.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll be interested in seeing Merv Lindsay after another year of development.

Although I caught some flak for it, I liked his potential. He has good length, great hops, and a decent touch on his jump shot. Plus he was extremely young.

Guess we'll see first hand how he's doing.

I know that the new coach at UNM mentioned Lindsay's name as a piece to next year's team.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

Who was the big guy (Thomas?) that went to UNLV? He developed fairly well eventually also. But if they don't want to stay and work, then have a nice day.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

I believe his name was Quintrell Thomas and had he stayed, 2011 might have ended differently. He was a little slow in development but he made up for it with hard work and refused to give in. He would have been a solid contributor off the bench.