Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Former KU players catch on in NBA’s D-League

Former Kansas University forward Darnell Jackson, during 2012 training camp with the Utah Jazz

Three former Kansas University basketball players who did not play in any NBA games this past season did spend time in the NBA’s minor league — the NBA Development League.

They are: Darnell Jackson, Reno (Nev.) Bighorns; Mario Little, Tulsa 66ers; and Brady Morningstar, who finished the season with the Canton (Ohio) Charge, after opening with the Tulsa 66ers.

• Jackson, a 6-foot-8, 240-pound power forward from Oklahoma City, started 11 games for Reno, before heading to China to play for the Xinjiang Flying Tigers. He returned to Reno for the squad’s final eight regular-season games. Reno did not make the playoffs.

The 27-year-old Jackson averaged 13.8 points (off 50.7 percent shooting) and 6.7 rebounds while starting 12 of 19 contests. He had a season-high 30 points off 13-of-18 shooting against Canton in the final game of the regular season.

• Morningstar, a 6-4, 185-pound combo guard out of Lawrence’s Free State High, averaged 4.3 points (off 34.2 percent shooting) and 1.3 assists in 16 games for Tulsa. He averaged 4.6 points (off 44.7 percent shooting) in 16 regular-season games for Canton.

Morningstar, 27, averaged 12.0 points in three playoff games. In Morningstar’s last game of the season, a playoff loss to Tulsa, he erupted for 22 points off 6-of-10 three-point shooting.

• Little, a 6-6 shooting guard/small forward from Chicago, averaged 3.9 points (off 37.5 percent shooting) in 15 regular-season games for Tulsa.

The 25-year-old Little averaged 9.5 points off 61.5 percent shooting in the second round of the playoffs. He scored 14 points in his final game of the season — a playoff loss to Rio Grande Valley.

KU also had players who flip-flopped from the NBA to the D-League during this past season.

Combo guard Josh Selby, who was released by the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers in March after being traded from Memphis in January, averaged 25.0 points and 5.0 assists a game in two playoff games for Maine. The 6-2, 180-pound Baltimore native, who is 22, averaged 17.0 points and 4.1 assists a game in 31 games total for three different D-League teams.

Rookie guard Tyshawn Taylor, who is in the NBA playoffs with the Brooklyn Nets, played eight games while on assignment with the Springfield (Mass.) Armor. Taylor averaged 24.6 points, 7.5 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 1.8 steals in those games.

Lacey leaves Bama: Former KU recruit Trevor Lacey has decided to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined school after two years at the University of Alabama, the school has announced. The 6-3 combo guard from Huntsville, Ala., averaged 11.3 points and 3.2 assists a game last season. He chose Alabama over Kentucky, Kansas and Auburn his senior year of high school.

The Birmingham News indicates coaches from KU, Arizona, Pittsburgh and Miami already have expressed interest. He’s been granted permission to talk to all schools outside of the SEC.

“This definitely was not an easy decision to make,” Lacey said. “It’s been great at Alabama during my two years. It was tough my freshman year coming off (knee) surgery and having to work my way back. I wanted to improve during my sophomore season and I thought I did that. I want to thank the coaches and staff, my teammates and all the fans for their support.”

This, that: Nino Jackson, a 6-2 guard from Ardmore, Okla., who expressed some interest in KU in high school before enrolling at Columbus (Ga.) Kingdom Prep School this year, has signed with Loyola Marymount. ... KU is expected to have an in-home visit this week with Elbert Robinson, a 6-10 junior from Lakeview Centennial High in Garland, Texas. He’s ranked No. 66 in the Class of 2014.

Vaughn’s first season over: San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich spoke to the Orlando Sentinel about former KU guard Jacque Vaughn, who worked as a Spurs assistant two seasons prior to taking over as Orlando Magic head coach this season.

“He’s done a great job of just instituting a system,” Popovich said of Vaughn, who led the Magic to a 20-62 record in his debut season. “He knows what wins and what loses, and he knows that in the long run certain elements of the game have to be established and standards have to be set. That’s really where he’s put his emphasis.

They (Magic) have attention to detail,” Popovich added of a team that is in a deep rebuilding mode. “They play hard and they compete. That’s a lot more important than anything else, especially when you’re starting up a program.”

Prior to this year, Vaughn experienced no losing seasons in college and just two in 14 seasons in the NBA.

“I think it tests your inner strength,” Vaughn told the Sentinel. “That’s what it boils down to. I have to be a stalwart in my approach with the team in how I approach them every day, my resolve every day. If I’m asking them to be resilient, I need to be as well.

“That’s my approach to every single day. Do I want to win? Yes. I’m a competitor. That’s part of me. But do I know there’s a process to getting to that winning area? Yes, there is, and I’m a part of the process.

“I think the great thing is I probably think differently than a lot of people, just my approach to life, my approach to what’s gotten me here to this position,” Vaughn added.

Comments

AsadZ 1 year, 8 months ago

If lacey comes to KU he will be eligible to play in 2014-2015 when Tharpe will be a senior. At this point he will be playing behind Tharpe and most likely Frankamp. He will be a back up.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

He's NOT a PG!!!!!! He's a SG!!!! He'd be a good get as insurance for if Selden were to be an OAD.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

Jacque Vaughn was given a team better fitted to play in the D-League. I am surprised they won 20 games, he obviously did something right. Hopefully he can get better players and really show what he can do.

hwtan 1 year, 8 months ago

If not for the injuries, they would definitely win more than 20.

doolindalton 1 year, 8 months ago

If Self were to retire tomorrow, Jacque would be my top choice to replace him. You have to love a guy with KU ties and his intelligence who played and coached in the NBA under Greg Popovich.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

I could see some leanings toward Turgeon. A LOT more experience behind the bench at D I schools and had done a terrific job at Wichita State, Texas A&M and looks to have Maryland headed in the right direction in his short stint there thus far.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 8 months ago

Brad Stevens would be the clear top choice. He's turned down other jobs to stay at Butler, but how could he honestly turn down a top-5 gig like Kansas. Or Duke? Or UNC?

Until Turgeon can win consistently in the ACC, he won't be on the short list. But I'd be happy with Vaughn.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

Turgeon will never win consistently in the ACC. Maryland is off to the Big 10.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

I like the guy also. A true fighter and one hell of a PG at KU.

But first choice to hypothetically replace Self?? As John McEnroe so eloquently stated, "You Can't Be Serious!!".

VaJay 1 year, 8 months ago

Doolin - JV has not proven himself at the coaching level (yet), and we would need a proven recruiter I believe. I hope the best for him, but the jury is still out...

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 8 months ago

Jacque, my ole college classmate from the class of '97 is such a great choice of coach for these young guys. Steady, smart, passionate, professional. I hope they let him build a winner. Reading his quotes - how genuine they are - and knowing that when he has the tools he WILL win. Rock Jacque Jayhawk - still making us proud.

Lacey would be a nice addition. If I recall he was basically down to us or Alabama. He might feel weird chhosing KU after once turning us down - buuuut, who cares - come on down. Past is the past. Imagine what it will be like to step foot on Naismith court with 16K people every game cheering you on - that rich tradition...

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 8 months ago

Why doesn't Brady go overseas at this point to make some real bread?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

After seeing the posts here just after his senior season, I am just shocked that Brady is not making some NBA team so much better with his "lock-down" defense, his passing into the post, his rotation of the ball back to the weak side, and his glue. It seemed to me (based on the comments here) that it was just a matter of time until a "smart" GM would recognize how these qualities would an NBA team better. Just shocking that he's still in the D-league, averaging 4.6 points per game in the regular season. But he always did dominate while not scoring.

Brak 1 year, 8 months ago

That's a pretty low blow there HEM especially against a former Jayhawk that poured his hear and soul into the program for like 7 years. Plus I don't recall a single person saying that Brady's skills against NCAA level talent would translate to the NBA but of course you knew that and felt the need to take a cheap shot at a former player for you own jollies. Stay Classy Bro!

Hawk8086 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't mean to butt in, but when I read HEM's post, I took it as sarcasm toward posters comments and nothing against Brady personally.

DanR 1 year, 8 months ago

If I had to pick a player to be shocked about being in the D-league (based on the comments here as well as predictions of the true experts who recognize elite talent), it sure wouldn't be Brady.

melrank 1 year, 8 months ago

LOL - yep if we'd played EJ more back then he would of "developed" that unbelievable athleticism! Instead Coach let him rot on the bench in favor of sleeves. Hell we might have beat Michigan if coach wasn't so stubborn back then.

NOTE - Full Sarcasm intended.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Here's the thing: its blatantly apparent now that EJ was way better than Brady. EJ shot a higher trey percentage. EJ made fewer TOs both at 1 and 2 that Brady ever made at the 3. EJ always guarded the opponent's toughest guy, and Brady never did. EJ started and was a rotation player from his first eligible season and Brady never did. EJ never blew up in big games and decisively lost them the way Brady always did.

There was never any chance that Brady was good enough to play D1. The only reason Brady played D1 was that his father was an investment banker and shoe guy and Bill Self never had FU money, so he had to play Brady. What's more, Brady has only been playing in the NBA D-Leagues the last few seasons, because of a vast right wing, T-shirt company conspiracy that is trying to leverage off Brady's thing for T-shirts in order to eventually propel him up to the L where Brady can keep yet another long and athletic on the bench too long, so he doesn't develop, and then gets to play and, because of Brady getting all his minutes, turns the ball over a ton, and makes lots of bad choices....

Gotta stop here, I'm laughing too hard to keep my hands on the keyboard.

melrank, its all your fault. I had promised myself to lay off the sarcasm font, but you just did it so great that I had to rise to the challenge. I know I fell short of your PHOF post, but I had to try. :-)

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

All good except Travis usually took on the opponents toughest man.

cklarock 1 year, 8 months ago

At this point, taking a cheap shot at a former player says more about the character of the poster than the abilities of the player.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

As Hawk8086 said in his reply to Brak, the post has nothing to do with Brady. It was a friendly poke at the crowd that suggested that he would play in the NBA. That's why I reference "after seeing the posts here" and "based on comments here".

So a couple of you can relax. I'm not defaming B-star.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

I didn't recall you being a Brady hater, HEM. Who do you propose they should have played in his place? I recall someone breaking down the VCU loss, and when Selby was in the game the scoring differential was something like 16 or 18 points in favor of VCU. He didn't defend a lick, and there is no question we were a much better team with Brady in the game. Maybe not every game, but more often than not.

For the record, I thought there was an outside chance Brady might get a sniff at the league. They do tend to like to have a white player or two on their rosters, but I definitely never considered it likely. Still, if you think we had a better option that year, you're just plain wrong.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

EJ .. if the guy would have simply been allowed to play, and be left alone, without looking over his shoulder, you'd have the dynamic 2 guard that put us on his back for big, crucial stretches in the Final Four run.

We lost to VCU. We played two guys that helped VCU out-athlete us .. Reed and Morningstar.

And I don't like to play "I told you so", but I posted about Brady and the type of situation where he would cost us before the tourney started that season. And VCU happened.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 8 months ago

I think EJ might have had a better shot at the NBA if he had played at a different school. But EJ toughed it out under Self where lesser players would have walked.

So, in effect, he undermined himself by NOT letting adversity get the better of him. Life isn't always fair..

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Once Self decided on TT, EJ should have been given the 2 job and left alone. EJ was huge force in our Final Four run a season ago -- something Brady never participated in.

I'm not a Brady-hater. Ralster summarizes it best.

If everyone would recall, the season that KU lost to VCU, Taylor got suspended and EJ played great during that stretch. Many of us thought EJ should have been left as the starter at the time as he was more consistent than TT. But Self went with TT. And EJ did play very solid defense during that stretch.

But EJ was a better option than Brady, period. He wasn't as safe. He wasn't as "sure." He wasn't as comfortable. But there's more to life than a post-feeding pass. EJ proved it in our run to the Final Four in 2011-12. He could carry us for stretches. Brady had many positives. But his limitations put us in a difficult position in many instances, not the least of which being vs. VCU, where he was out of his league. He had situations he could perform, but others where he was a disaster.

Self went conservative, playing it safe with Brady. I firmly believe that ended up costing us. EJ played like a guy looking over his shoulder during the tourney when he got in.

Hindsight says EJ should have been given the 2 job his sophomore season and just left alone. I admit that I wanted him at the point over TT. In hindsight, I was probably wrong there. But I called the Brady issue before the VCU game ever happened. He was not a reliable shooter or offensive player, he was a decent defender .. but one that simply couldn't keep up with certain types of players. When we needed offense, he wasn't the kind of guy that you could turn to.

I will maintain this until I go to my grave. If Brady Morningstar was not on the 2010-11 Jayhawks, we win the national title. That "comfortable" option prevented us from reaching our maximum potential.

DanR 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow, I guess it really was about Brady.

DanR 1 year, 8 months ago

This is a really sad theory, the more I think about it: Brady not only cost us the 2011 championship, but also this year's championship because he kept EJ from developing into the kind of player that wouldn't have a total meltdown (as a senior) in the final 3 minutes against Michigan.

You are one bitter dude if you bother to maintain that idea to your grave.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

If you guys want to blame someone for the VCU loss I would suggest starting with the coach. His unwillingness to press and make that obviously physically overmatched opponent play a style they didn't want to play, is what really cost us.

I wish Self would take a close look at this year's Louisville team and their unrelenting full court pressure and see what we could be, if we played that style. I love our tough half court defense, but imagine if we took things a step further.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 8 months ago

Miss DJack...glad he's still living the dream. When he was on, he was beast.

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

I worked a Big Horn game last month. Talk about a "No Country for Old Men" vibe. The Events Center was dead. Teams are based in McAllen, Texas, Bakersville, Erie, and Sioux Falls, with the "Mad Ants" vs the "Red Claws."

For every Darnell Jackson, Cory Higgins, Luke Harangody or Andy Rautins, there's a Royce White, Jorge Gutierrez or Reeves Nelson. It was like the men's basketball version of "League of Their Own."

Bless these guys for hanging in there. I'd love to see D-Block rewarded.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

Taylor & Selby's D-League numbers.....Wow! Both are too good for that league it would seem.....ESPECIALLY Taylor.

I could Selby be a good fit for Phoenix. It's said that they need a good perimeter shooting SG or combo. G. Him and the Morri had something special going in '11 'til the VCU disaster.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 8 months ago

Taylor has been primarily the 13th man with Brooklyn. In Brooklyn's next to the last game he played about 20 minutes and scored about 15 points and had generally good stats all around. I would guess he has played in about 10 games with Brooklyn usually 2 or 3 minutes in games already decided. I have seen him play twice, and he looked pretty good in each. The Nets have too many guards, however. He ought to stick with some team, however. If he improves there like he did with KU I think down the road he could be a starter. At least I hope so.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd like to see Taylor catch on with Boston. He would be a good fit for that system and a good back up for Rondo.

Timmay97 1 year, 8 months ago

Looks like Allerik Freeman (UCLA de-commit) is now available. KU had him on the radar some time ago. Could Bill Self look in this direction?

I'm not really sure where he would fit in with this team.

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Freeman- or a transfer from another coaching carousel team- announces soon that he's coming to KU. I think this doesn't give us an impact [big] guy as Self expressed we really need, but our system always needs solid wings- and Freeman looks like he could develop into great wing addition for beyond next year. I really haven't seen his game, so maybe someone who's watched his tape and recruiting can comment on his potential?

Joe Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

A true point that would give Smart boy a run. I'd take Freeman. His work ethic fits Self's program perfectly. I have no idea why he went to Howland and UCLA.

6-4 210lbs and more of a pg than combo. Self loves his combos. However, if he lives up to his work ethic, he may look at KU again. If he sees Tharpe and all the other pieces, he may pass yet again.

otaKU 1 year, 8 months ago

Except that Allerik Freeman is NOT a point.

Joe Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

He does or did play pg more than he'll admit. He doesn't seem to want pg at the D1 level. Read my link above.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

Freeman doesn't look nearly as quick to me as Tyrone Taylor out of Grandview High. I saw Taylor twice last season, the first time he had a pretty severe ankle injury and was being face guarded the entire game (his defender wasn't even acknowledging any other offensive players on the court) and the second he touched it 2 or 3 guys converged on him. I think he still had 17 and 8 or 9 assists. I saw him healthy in the final regional or district game before state, and he had 33 or 34 points and, I believe 9 assists. Again, he was face guarded the entire game as they tried to deny him the ball and he scores 30+ with nearly double digit assists. He hit a couple of 3's from at least 25 feet, and was knocking down pull up mid range jumpers at will. Not many kids these days have the quickness to get to the rack, but still have the ability to hit mid range and long range jumpers. As a bonus, he's a legit 6'2". He's not perfect. He needs to work on his defensive intensity, but with his quickness that's just a matter of a coach demanding it of him, and he could also use a little Hudy magic putting some bulk on him.

I notice he played in the NY2LA tournament this past weekend in Minnesota. He's on the same Under armor team as the Collier kid out of Denver, and it sounds from the descriptions I've read that he out played Collier (for the record I'd like KU to go after both of them.). I'll be shocked if he isn't on KU's radar before the summer is over. He may not be a day one contributor at KU, but he's the kind of kid who could develop into a star. He has the quickest first step of any kid I've personally seen in this class.

I'm not a big fan of bringing in Lacey. He would red shirt next year, when we really could use the depth, and his presence might hurt our chances of landing an elite high school point guard next season. I'd rather see us land a top 5 high school PG for the 2014 class.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 8 months ago

Gary, love what you do for the KU fan, but I just can't stand the overuse of the word exploded!!! I'm sure it's just me, but I just can't stand it...

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Totally unintentional I'm sure, but with Boston still fresh in everyone's memory, I might have chosen a different verb.

Interesting how Brady keeps resurfacing from time to time...kind of like dandelions in the spring. Maybe I just caught him on bad days, but after my experiences with him, he came off as a real jerk.

What a relief...a column with no comments on Andrew Wiggins....OH CRAP, I JUST COMMENTED!!

JayHok 1 year, 8 months ago

If you don't mind me asking what bad experiences happened with you and Brady?

bad_dog 1 year, 8 months ago

I happened to be at the DMV in Lawrence when B-Star arrived to have his license reinstated. Everyone there recognized him and I believe he was rather embarassed by his notoriety. Hope that dose of karma helps, Oak.

Jason Keller 1 year, 8 months ago

Couldn't be a bigger jerk than Kale Pick...

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

JayHok..Bad_Dog did remind me that my encounters were right after that unfortunate DWI incident. Maybe I my choice of words was a bit harsh..I think he was totally humiliated and maybe just didn't want to listen to even encouragement at that point in time. As a fellow Jayhawk let me cut Brady some slack and hope he learned a valuable lesson without paying the price with someone else's life. I wish him best of luck in following his dream

JakeBarnes 1 year, 8 months ago

Robinson from Garland is much better than the 66th ranking. I don't know who or how they determine the rankings, but he would be a real catch for KU. He has about 6 or 8 offers from major programs including Baylor and UT. He is sometimes listed as 6' 10", which means he may be 6' 8". He is also listed as 280 pounds. I didn't think he weighed that much when I saw him, but you never know. He is muscular.

Here's a photo.

yates33333 1 year, 8 months ago

I watch a lot of pro basketball on TV. I cannot understand why Darnell isn't on an NBA pro team. He is as good as many off the bench players, especially on the teams that do not compete well.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

8] Monster Afro.

9] Understands the Jayhawk Culture.

10] Fearless and Tireless.

11] Great Dancer...for Late Night!!

12] Three younger brothers who are uber-talented and spaced about two years apart who fall in love with KU. [talented sisters would be good too]!!

justanotherfan 1 year, 8 months ago

If you're content with mediocre skill, high character guys, I presume that you are also content with Sweet Sixteen exits at best.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

I have followed Selby's career with interest and he has the worst luck of any player I can recall...he made a couple of bad decisions too.
His (NCAA) suspension and injury while at KU put him way behind the other players and by the time he was ready, the rotation was pretty much set. Then he elected to go to the NBA, a decision I am sure he will always regret. Had he stayed at KU for his sophomore year, he would have been the starting PG and KU maybe would have won the NCCA , which would have made him a lottery pick. Had he been a lottery pick, he would have gotten a lot more playing time and patience from NBA teams; as the 49th pick, teams do not feel the need to spend a lot of time and effort to develop his potential.
I have seen him play in the summer league and the D-League and he dominated in both. Last summer he was the co-MVP with one Damian Lillard, the NBA rookie of the year.
There is no question Selby has NBA talent, he just needs a team where he can fit and where he is given an opportunity to earn a spot in the rotation, rather than just being another body they need for practice.
Maybe there is something about him that I don't know that has turned teams off; I guess time will tell.

JayHok 1 year, 8 months ago

Good point. That runner-up team really should have had Selby and McLemore both. Chemistry would have been different but talent wise we could have matched Calipari's group.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

There must be something we don't know. Selby has not just NBA talent but NBA-starter talent. I just don't get it why he is not logging time for a team. Same case with Drew Gooden. Last years he had one of his better years and this season he hardly ever gets in the game. There has to be a huge conflict with the coaching/management staff and can't get rid of him and his big contract.

jhox 1 year, 8 months ago

Selby doesn't defend and he's under sized by NBA standards. Two more years of college would definitely have helped him, but I have a hard time believing he'd ever be more than someone who could help (an NBA team) a little off the bench.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh if the guy would have just stuck around another year.

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

Clearly Taylor and Selby are better than the D-League. With some of the terrible guard play I see on occasion in the NBA, it's stunning that the two of them haven't found a home where a team could use their skills.

The fact that Cleveland straight-up cut Selby is hilarious to me, as if they have the kind of talent that makes a player like Selby not even worth a look. Then again, Dan Gilbert is an idiot, as evidenced by the fact that he is now re-hiring Mike Brown to coach his team again.

Taylor should also be getting more minutes. I have a hard time believing that C.J. Watson is a better long-term option at the backup PG position.

yates33333 1 year, 8 months ago

I gave you a thumbs up because Gilbert is an idiot, period.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

2 days ago you would have thought Phil Jackson was coming to clev....that made me laugh. Wish Selby had stayed a Cav

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

It's all about landing in the right spot. Cleveland has Kyrie Irving now, so they aren't going to waste a lot of time developing another PG. It sucks for Selby, but hopefully he'll find a good fit for next year. Boston would be good to back up Rondo and start when Rondo is hurt or the Lakers would be a nice fit for Selby. Any other team looking for a starting PG or a good team looking for a back up PG would be good landing spots for Selby.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

DBlock needs go to Hollywood and become an action movie star. He has the sweetest countenance and the biggest, baddest silhouette. He should go to the Fast and Furious franchise and have them add him to the installment. The last guy big tall stud is now too big of a star to play second banana again. DBlock would be perfect for any prison flick, because he would draw so much sympathy from the audience. After a few supporting roles, then he would be primed and branded to move into an action lead. Go for it DBlock.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

If I were Josh Selby, I might forget the NBA and go make a fortune in Europe. The guy could drop 30/game in Europe and after 10 years probably be farther ahead than if he dicks around 3 years trying to find the right fit, then has to wait another 3 year contract period to cash into a big contract.

Brush up on your French, Spanish, or Italian, Josh. The grass is greener and that cuisine is better. Just ask Langford.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Rebound prospects like Lacey always fascinate me.

My first response is: hell, yes, sign him.

But then sweet reason kicks in and makes ponder.

I can think of only two reasons why he did not sign with Self and KU in the first place:

a) he's not very bright; or

b) someone threw him some money.

If he's not too bright, it could be a serious uphill battle trying to catch him up to speed on Self Ball, at this late date, especially with him probably having lost a lot of pop because of the knee.

If someone threw him some money, then he's a ticking time bomb to bring into a program.

After watching KU players rebound from knee injuries and lose what has seemed like 10-30% of their pop afterwards in most cases, Lacey seems the kind of guy you bring in when all your other options have crapped out and you're just looking for a role playing trey shooter off the bench, rather than an impact guy.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Still, after all the above, I recall Lacey being a terrific prospect once upon a time. It could mean a lot to Lacey to get a chance to work with Self and KU. And if Lacey were to get his pop back, it could mean a lot to KU.

Rock Chalk, Trevor Lacey.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Trevor Lacey is from Alabama and proximity to home is the biggest reason why Alabama landed him. Proximity to home isn't always a factor for a recruit, but I believe it played a big factor with Lacey.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Hope you are right.

But I always remember how rare it was among my Kansas friends growing up to turn down rides to blue blood programs in football for the chance to stay at home and go to KU. In fact, I can't recall one that did.

Its kind of like turning down a scholarship to Cal Tech to study physics in order to stay close to home and study physics at KU. I doubt it happens very often with Kansas high school students pursuing a career in physics.

So: if you are right, then we are talking about an exception proving a rule, rather than the rule.

702Hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Remember that he committed to Bama right after the tornadoes destroyed those towns down there. He wanted to be the home town hero that everyone threw their support behind. The thing he learned is that doesn't really happen except for the media and you have to win for that too.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow! This is a new take for me.

Tornadic activity is a trigger of school selection.

Maybe Oswald did act alone. :-)

Maybe the terrorist violence at the Boston Marathon wasn't a false flag.

Maybe central banking does NOT intentionally use the formula for compound interest to ensure that all economic cycles end in crashes.

Aw, just having some fun here.

You're probably exactly right.

At least it wasn't sun spots. :-)

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought that the twisters in Alabama actually scared him away from selecting a school in the heart of tornado alley. Hey that outbreak in Alabama has to have been a once in at least 20 year occurance, right?

Benz Junque 1 year, 8 months ago

OR he's from Alabama and wanted to play at Alabama. Believe it or not, some kids don't all grow up wanting to be Jayhawks...

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

jaybate News Service (ins):

Dateline: narcissist zone

Slug: Andrew Wiggins downdate...

Usually unreliable jns stringers on the west coast have used kayaks to reach the flooded airport where an exhausted Andrew Wiggins has made a landmark decision in a the midst of a heavy,heavy, heavy, HEAVY rain.

Said stringers report that Andrew Wiggins has decided to give up the game of basketball forever, because of how draining it has been to wait till the end of the recruiting season to decide where he would play college basketball.

jns stringers, literally bailing water out of the concourse where Wiggins is stuck, trying to make connections home, say that Wiggins is weighing five possible alternatives to playing college, or pro basketball: 1) a life in a Buddhist monastery in Tibet; 2) a evangelical TV career as Pat Robertson's side kick; 3) a hand model; 4) a career in professional curling; or 5) pursue a Shakespearian acting career specializing in the portrayal of Hamlet.

When told that sports fans were speculating wildly about which of these possibilities he might pursue, Wiggins reputedly said, "Anyone who says they know what I am going to do is a dissembling twit, because I don't know. All I know is that like Greta Garbo, I am tired and I want to be alone."

Developing....

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

"Off Season Thought for the Day"

"What if in the end, there were no end, and if in the beginning, there were no beginning?"

-jaybaticles

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry, JB.....I haven't got past the chicken and egg thing yet, much less a Zen-like conundrum!!!

yates33333 1 year, 8 months ago

Jaybate. Did you see the following in the Bleacher Report?

"Andrew Wiggins celebrated Andrew Wiggins Day in Huntington, W.V., with John Calipari, Grimace and The Hamburglar. As seen in the above picture, Wiggins was presented with a proclamation by Huntington Mayor Steve Williamsdeclaring it Andrew Wiggins Day.

The newly-minted Gatorade National Player of the Year also hung with Grimace and The Hamburglar.

On top of all that, Wiggins met Thursday with Kentucky coach John Calipari."

I wish you would seriously analyze why Calipari is so successful recruiting highly rated players.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Uh, UK is cool to top rated guys; Cal's a great coach; he plays freshmen big minutes; he has a system kids like to play in; and he's proven that he get guys to the league.

Easy.

JayHok 1 year, 8 months ago

UK wasn't cool to top rated players until Calipari got there. The players could care less which program he's part of, they'll sign for a year if he's coaching at Hutchinson.

Joe Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

slayr- Wigs may go to uk and no big surprise. However, and maybe I'm just spit balling here, but maybe Cal is the boy who can't take no for an answer. Maybe Wigs hasn't given him the convincing green light. Cal may be like a boy who's been rejected by the most beautiful girl for prom. So, Cal hangs around like a nag, trying to get Wigs to commit. I think that's what it is at this point. Cal doesn't have him and it's killing him. Otherwise, he would be home enjoying his uk bluegrass manure. No, I don't think he has Wigs in the bag, and he's over recruiting with Wigs.

JayHok 1 year, 8 months ago

Hope you're right. That would be sweet in so many ways