Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Joe Dooley wins over Gulf Coast players

Kansas guard Naadir Tharpe laughs with assistant Joe Dooley prior to tipoff against West Virginia on Saturday, March 2, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

There was fear in Fort Myers, Fla., that Florida Gulf Coast University’s basketball players would transfer en masse if somebody other than Eagles’ assistant Marty Richter were hired to replace the wildly popular Andy Enfield as head coach.

Such concerns have disappeared now that the returning players have met former Kansas University assistant coach Joe Dooley, who was introduced Monday at a news conference as replacement for new USC coach Enfield.

“My first impression was, I was mad. I wanted Marty to get the job because I wanted to keep what we had,” FGCU guard Brett Comer told the Naples Daily News.

He is a former Blue Valley Northwest player who attended KU head coach Bill Self’s basketball camp as a youth.

“After talking to Dooley and realizing I know the guy, I’m happy with him and what’s going to happen here. It’s going to be exciting, and it’s going to be an advancement to big things,” Comer added.

Not only are all the players returning, but holdover assistants Richter and Michael Fly and director of basketball operations Joey Cantens are staying, too. Dooley will hire a third assistant from outside the FGCU program.

“Familiarity breeds confidence,” Dooley told the Naples Daily News. “That’s what was great about having the guys stay on the staff. They know the conference (Atlantic Sun). They know the dynamics of the league. They know the recruiting base. They know our players, their tendencies. It makes the transition a lot easier for me.”

Florida Gulf Coast returns four starters from a team that last season became the first No. 15 seed to reach the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

“It can happen; I don’t see why it can’t,” Dooley said of the program becoming a mid-major powerhouse, like, say, Gonzaga. “Why not us? The ceiling is high. If you look at (FGCU’s) progress in a short period of time, it’s been amazing. Now we have to grow the product and grow the brand and continue to improve.”

Dooley never applied for the job, the Naples News reported. He was approached by athletic director Ken Kavanagh, who called Dooley after a friend recommended the 10-year KU assistant.

“It was on my radar,” Dooley told the Fort Myers News-Press. “The way things happen with jobs ... sometimes you are not sure how it (process) will go on. We were a little bit disappointed with the way the season ended (at KU). I wasn’t focused on looking for another job, but focused on who we were recruiting at Kansas. It did pique my interest right away. That’s how it led to this.”

Former KU guard Mario Chalmers on Dooley’s hiring: “I think he’s going to be a great head coach,” Chalmers told the Naples Daily News. “He’s going to be a guy who’s going to get some players. With players who have a lot of talent, you can do anything, especially if you’re a good coach like that.

“Besides my dad (Ronnie), that’s the person I trusted most when I first got there,” Anchorage, Ala., native Chalmers added of KU. “And over the years, we developed a close relationship. To this day we have a close relationship.”

Wiggins cancels in-homes: Prize basketball prospect Andrew Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, on Monday canceled this week’s in-home visits with coaches from KU, North Carolina and Florida State. Instead he was to talk with coaches from the three schools on the phone.

He recently had an in-person visit with Kentucky’s John Calipari.

“It means nothing,” Huntington coach Rob Fulford told CBSSports.com. “He’s just tired. He doesn’t want to deal with it. He’s just drained. He is shutting it (recruiting) down.”

Wiggins, who is ranked No. 1 in the country by Rivals.com, the past several weeks has played in all-star games in Chicago; Brooklyn, N.Y.; and Portland, Ore.

“There is no timetable. He’s not back from Portland. He has had two flights canceled,” Fulford told zagsblog.net on Monday morning.

Boogie this summer: Tickets for Bill’s Basketball Boogie, set for June 8 at Abe and Jake’s Landing, are on sale at basketballboogie.org. The night of dinner and dancing benefits Bill and Cindy Self’s Assists Foundation.

Comments

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

Is KU doing a barn storming tour this summer?

Brett McCabe 1 year, 5 months ago

I think that they have played at least one game against Wichita high school all-stars.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 5 months ago

Conner was the 5th player/coach. Teahan that is.

David Leathers 1 year, 5 months ago

Dooley will be a great head coach at FGCU next year. With the entire team returning next season he should be able to win the conference and the conference tournament. Maybe even bring them back to the tourney as a 9 seed. Hopefully he can employ some BS style defense and show the NCAA what a 6 year D1 school looks like with the right mixture of talent and coaching.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

They return four starters. I think their star graduated or is graduating this semester. I can picture him but have forgotten his name. It'll come to me in a minute. The guy with the long hair who played so well.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 5 months ago

Wiggins sure is going out of his way to make it look like he "has no idea" where he is going.......

jhox 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, sure looks like his mind is made up and he doesn't want to waste the other 3 coaches time.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 5 months ago

His coach said he was still in OR after 2 cancelled flights. Tough to have an in-home when even you aren't in-home yet. Gotta be tough on the kid, though he seems to be handling it well.

Cmill1221 1 year, 5 months ago

This is such BS. "He is shutting it down" (but hasn't committed). Honestly this isn't a very big decision at all. He is looking for a place to spend 10 months of his life, C'mon. Picking an AAU team would be more impactful. This is starting to become a joke.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

If he's smart Dooley will let them continue to play the same style of ball they're used to until he gets his own recruits in.

mandomax 1 year, 5 months ago

pretty classy move by Wiggins to cancel his in-home visit with one day's notice. I'm upset that we probably won't be getting a kid with his talent and ceiling, but totally ok with not getting his attitude and ego.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

That's fine mando and we all have opinions. Thank God we have opinions. Did you not read the article? HE WAS STUCK IN PORTLAND. He couldn't meet Monday and it threw his schedule off. He had to change it. It means nothing except he got stuck in an airport for hours due to cancellations. You've flown? You know delays? He's 19 yrs old? It's not fun.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Didn't I hear somewhere that " The Announcement " was supposed to take place on April 22, 2013 ?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

Are you talking about Wiggins or about the "big announcement" after the season from someone dearly beloved by the fanbase and community?

Perhaps one big announcement is waiting on another?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I was talking about Wiggins. Is there another big announcement that I have been deaf and dumb to? Sigh.............

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

there were murmurs during the season about big news coming after the season ended. No indication if the news were good or bad, but it sounded ominous. I never had any feel or indication that there was any merit to the rumors, but they were generally accompanied by speculation about Self's future after this season and they usually ended up turning into a who will be KU's next head coach discussion. Not to lend any credit to the rumors, but we may have to wait until after the San Antonio Spurs season ends before we know whether the rumblings were anything more than just a nervous fan base preparing themselves for the inevitable day that we have to find a new head coach.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh - thanks for clearing that up. For maybe the first 5 years that Coach Self was here, I was a little nervous that he may wind up somewhere else. Since that time I haven't worried about it. I may be too deeply immersed in Crimson and Blue to see straight sometimes, but I honestly feel like Coach thinks he has the best job in basketball. ALL of basketball. Honestly, I truly believe that KU is THE best college job - period. He could make more money in the NBA, but good grief, an NBA coaching job sounds like a whole lot of NO FUN.

I may be naive, but I'm going to continue to believe that he stays in Lawrence until the day he gives it up for golf.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 5 months ago

Who is Bill looking at to replace Joe?

Would be a boon for FGCU if they can get Chalmers and the Heat to pop in on some games.

Tired of the Wiggins saga...if I am, I can only imagine how he feels. But he can and will control it once he makes his announcement. Must be soon right?

John Strayer 1 year, 5 months ago

Agreed...this kid is tired of a process that he is in 100% control of. If he is truly tired of it he can end it wth a few words and move on with his life. Otherwise, I think he is enjoying this limelight and having 4 to 5 college coaches/fanbases waiting on something to come from his mouth.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 5 months ago

Being stuck in an airport half-way across the country after multiple cancellations is a thrill a minute.

KansasComet 1 year, 5 months ago

I look at next year's team, and I think we will be very good. Hopefully Wiggins enjoyed kicking some of the incoming UK recruits butt at the Nike Hoop Summit with Embiid last week enough to come to Kansas. If not, the beat goes on and we will contend for the Conference and the National Title next year.

longhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm certainly OK with getting this kid--he's a real talent. Love to have him. But man has he been acting like a spoiled brat through this whole process. Calling people who guess where he's going "liars?" Cancelling in-homes at the last minute because he "doesn't want to deal with it?"

Great talent, but what is it about him that makes him so different in this process from, oh, everybody else who found a way to pick a school and move on?

Canadians.

andy acosta 1 year, 5 months ago

Compare it to breaking up with your girlfriend after years of dating. You are 100% certain you think and know it's the right decision but in reality, you don't want to hurt your significant other. You know that stalling the process is the easy way out so, why not keep the stall on? When she asks if you want to do dinner with her parents or hang with her friends, you start coming up with excuses to back out of the situation because you know that in a matter of minutes/days/weeks, those people will no longer be part of your life. And, when you do finally step up to the plate to break little Missy's heart, the weight finally pulls from your chest.

His mind is made up and it's with UK. As much as I agree that AW would have put us in the National title talks with his signing, I still believe that our current class has potential to develop into a monster and the best group of any of Self's classes. And with an early Top 15 ranking, by the time Feb. rolls around I truly believe that we will again be a National Championship caliber team.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

As some of these recruiting saga's evolve, you think, "Will this kid really fit in or is this going to be a prima-donna that will need to have high maintanence for just the OAD year?" Some coaches won't even consider some of these guys & HCBS has had to deal with a Dad or two before. ie., "Daddy Ball.", Carl Sr & Jr. But Ronnie & Mario worked out OK, but not a OAD kid. IMO he's going to UK, so lets just allow the chips to fall where they may-another top 10 finish for the Jayhawks, & another NIT for ole' Cal. LOL!

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

No mention of the ACC tv rights deal or Angel Rodriguez transfering??

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 5 months ago

If Rodriguez is transferring to be closer to home, maybe he can be Dooley's first new recruit at FGCU. Since conference expansion is such a popular topic around here, I'm surprised as well that there is no mention of the ACC's TV deal; seems pretty relevant.

Brad Farha 1 year, 5 months ago

What's the word on the ACC TV deal?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

It's a grant of rights like the Big 12, ACC through 2025 or something like that. It's a big deal in quelling realignment stuff.

We missed big time on Louisville.

jay381 1 year, 5 months ago

Your are absolutely correct on Louisville. The Daily Oklahoman had two different large above the fold articles on this in the past couple of weeks. The long time writers are consistent that Louisville and Pinto specifically wanted to join the league big time. They also say OU (both Stoops and the AD), KU (Self) and TX (they think) wanted Louisville but it was stopped by the smaller athletic budget schools that did not want to split the money into more pieces, however shortsighted that idea was. My first though was can anyone say K-State, TX_Tech etc.? Louisville would have added in every aspect of athletics, BB, FB is good, Womens sports competitive etc.

This is the one that some narrow minded people vetoed.

oldalum 1 year, 5 months ago

I aimed for "1 reply" and must have hit "suggest removal". My apologies.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I look for Dooley to be back in Lawrence soon. He's going to miss this weather. He can bring Angel with him - he'll be 80 miles closer to home than he was in Manhattan.....

JakeBarnes 1 year, 5 months ago

Re Wiggins. “It means nothing,” Huntington coach Rob Fulford told CBSSports.com." Excuse, Me!! Cal said the magic words. The NCAA ought to investigate Cal if they aren't already. That boy's magical, er, ah, maybe!

David Black 1 year, 5 months ago

I am tired of the Wiggins drama. Let's just move on...had enough of this OAD!

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

This is not drama. The kid has a legitimate issue with his schedule. I'm all for moving on and most are moving. He will likely make a decision Thursday or Friday. I think all the programs are "tired" as he is of this drama.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

Why is it that Sean Miller and Travis Ford remind me of two Little Rascals? Throw Frank Haith in there as Buckwheat and you have have the cast. I have no idea who could be Darla. Maybe Ashley Judd and maybe Calipari could be Alfalfa. I just saw that pic of Sean Miller and it inspired a Little Rascals moment. Plus I wanted to lighten up the board a bit on the obvious recruiting focus.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

Joe Dooley wins over FGCU? Of course...expect a lot more from JD and FGCU. I'm amazed at the KU influence in so many programs across the nation.

Justin Lindsley 1 year, 5 months ago

Looks like Conference Realignment is over for the next 10 or so years. I guess we are stuck with who we have.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

IN SUMMATION.

1] He is a really, really good high school player who most likely will be a really, really good college player for one year.

2] He has the right to handle his recruitment any way he chooses whether it pisses you off or not.

3] He will be going to Kentucky...PERIOD!!

4] By having Kansas and Self in the mix till the end, just adds credibility to the Kansas program, but we will be fine with the #2 ranked recruiting class for 2013-14.

5] With a line-up of Cam-Jam, The Designer, Warp, Seldom, AW3, The Load, Semi, Mean Greene, Frank The Tank and Conner The Bomber, we are going to be fun to watch!!!!

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

If I had to bet I would put money on Wiggins going to FSU, Calipari or UNC. However, if Wiggins is looking at rosters closely and realizes he will be the number 1 pick no matter where he goes, it makes me think Self is growing on him. With McLemore, he said if you're open, shoot it. Wiggins reminds me a lot of what Durant had going on at UT. Of course he would look great at any of these schools but the one place he would be able to work on fundamentals that will make him better on both ends of the court is with Self. He makes UK, KU or UNC a national champion type team. What is he really looking for his only year in college, that's the real question. I still think having his brother in the state of Kansas is a big plus for Self and Townsend. I love that Townsend is the lead recruiter. I wouldn't want any other coach in charge for Wiggins. If Wiggins does indeed surprise us all and come to Kansas we need to praise Townsend the entire year. One more thing. On the chance Wiggins does choose to play for Self, I would love to see Jesse Newell do a pie chart for the final #1/#2 recruiting rankings. It seems highly likely UK stays #1 even if Wiggins signs with Self but I'd like to see the closeness on the final ranking.

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

I hate to say it but its not even close. Kentucky's class is amazing on paper. Kansas' class is great too, but no top 10 players vs. 4-5 I've lost count 7 of the top 25 vs 1 for KU. I like our guys, but there really is no comparison of raw talent. I'd like to see who the better team is in two years.

brooksmd 1 year, 5 months ago

If Calisleazy has the same problem with uncoachable kids like he did this year, Kensuckey could be headed to another first round NIT loss with all it's OAD stars.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

I like how one quote from a FGCU player who happens to be from Kansas and attended camps at KU turns into "Joe Dooley wins over Gulf Coast players".

At least talk to two players so that you can legitimately use the plural, or even just ask Brett Comer if any of his teammates also like the Dooley hire.

I have no problem with the reporting though. I just think that the headline is a tad assuming.

RJ King 1 year, 5 months ago

The first line reports fear that players would transfer en masse. The article goes on to say that all players are returning at this point. That's tacit endorsement (plural) of Dooley. To me, the headline is OK.

Calijhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Coach Self and our program needs to put its foot down. You can come to our Late Night, and our students will chant your name. You can play the recruiting game if you want...we can't control when you make your decision. But the minute you decide to include us in a hat ceremony, we pull the scholarship offer immediately. No exceptions...even if you choose us.

If you will use the Jayhawk logo as a prop to glorify yourself for 15 minutes, there is no reason to believe that you won't do so when you arrive here, and for the duration of your time here.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 5 months ago

Only thing I'd change in your comment wordage is not the minute, but "the nano second" you decide. Why is it todays' youth, and adults, have to be so friggin dramatic? Too much twitter, or two many facebook friends, or too damn much Oprah? Don't really need an answer, but for the life of me, this touchy feely, stroke me crap is an absolute waste of productivity. I just don't get it. Maybe it's the instant gratification aspect of the present we live in. Damn glad I wasn't that bored at an early age, might never had smelled the roses or the pies cooling in the window sill. Might never have grown up at all if I couldn't follow the food or the breadcrumbs home. JMO

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

To say you had a unique childhood would be an understatement......are you Hansel or Gretel?? :)

702Hawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Trevor Lacey is leaving the University of Alabama. Something seems odd with this but we were chasing him. I would love to see which transfers HCBS is talking too.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

Interesting .. if Lacey had come to KU, he would have played ahead of Teahan in 2011-12 and would been our first guard off the bench.

Coming now? No way. Too many highly ranked guys ahead of him.

And if we would have gotten Lacey, it's doubtful we would have landed Selden.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Who's guaranteed to be ahead of Lacey if he came here HEM? Lacey is a 2 which KU only has one of on their roster right now that's capable of playing any kind of meaningful minutes and it's not a guarantee Selden is around in 2014-15. I know Selden's not a presumed OAD, but he does have the talent to turn into one and Lacey wouldn't be a bad option to have if Selden does end up being a OAD. If Selden isn't OAD, then Lacey is the kind of player that would give Self quality minutes off the bench. I don't have any expectations of landing Lacey, but I think he's the exact type of player KU needs for 2014-15.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

You think he would start over White, Greene and Conner who are all capable at the 2? Self often plays the 2/3 interchangeably. With Conner it would obviously be the 1 or 2. I'm just theorizing..

I think Lacey would be a great get but will he go someplace where starting isn't guaranteed?

Worth checking out: http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2013/03/22/ajc-boys-player-of-the-year-brannen-greene/

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess what I meant was that Lacey would see that there would be a bunch significant competition on the perimeter and coming here would be unlikely .. Selden, White, Greene, Frankamp. Lacey would sit a year of course while those guys play. Poor phrasing on my part. Lacey could be better than any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a minute.

Hawk8086 1 year, 5 months ago

We were a finalist for Lacey. We do have a lot of wing players. I don't know if he would shy away from the competition or not, but it would be great if he ended up in Lawrence. As stated earlier, it would be really interesting to know which of the transfers that Self is pursuing.

KatnissHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Does anyone know to get in on the trip to the tourney this coming fall in the Bahamas? Details, tickets, etc?

soapisurfriend 1 year, 5 months ago

Allerik Freeman just reopened his recruitment. KU was in on him heavily a year ago but fell off as the perimeter recruits began to commit. Seems like they will get back in on him although I'm not sure he fits Self's style.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 5 months ago

I would take Freeman in a heartbeat, and am surprised his rankings seemed to have diminished over the last year. Not sure why. He should fit in nicely at our SG position, but was projected to be a PG at UCLA. Either way, if Self wants him, and he wants us, COME ON OVER!

SoCalAlum 1 year, 5 months ago

Guaranteed ploy to get Andrew Wiggins to sign with KU (spoiler alert - this would be hard for many to wrap their heads around, including HCBS, but shows the cost of doing business these days): "Andrew, we're going to schedule a game with Wichita State." Andrew Wiggins vs. Nick Wiggins...who else could deliver this?