Originally published April 21, 2013 at 11:46p.m., updated April 22, 2013 at 04:49p.m.

Keegan

Opinion: Guessing game — Nobody knows where prep phenom Andrew Wiggins will spend his one year in college

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

photo

Associated Press

A voice of reason rises above the discordant sounds of self-annointed expertise regarding the recruitment of an 18-year-old basketball player. And that wise voice belongs to the teenager himself.

“Anyone who says they know where I’m going is a liar,” Andrew Wiggins famously said. “I don’t know where I’m going, so they can’t know where I’m going.”

Bingo!

But that won’t stop many who state pure guesses with absolute certainty. He’s down to four choices, so four self-anointed experts each could make a different guess, and after Wiggins picks a school, the guy who’s right will be the only one who returns the call of the radio producer looking for a guest to discuss the decision. Nobody will remember the other three guys’ guesses, and the one who’s right will brag about it until he guesses wrong on a future coveted recruit.

If the insider guessing Florida State happens to guess right, he will explain that he knew all along Wiggins was heading to Tallahassee because the family connections to the school made it impossible for him to choose anyplace else. His father, Mitchell Wiggins, was drafted in the first round out of Florida State and played six NBA seasons. His mother, Marita Payne-Wiggins, ran for a pair of Canadian relay teams that won silver medals in the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

Should the expert guessing Kentucky while pretending to know guesses correctly, he’ll cite Wiggins’ desire to be part of the greatest recruiting class of all time as the factor that swayed him.

North Carolina? What better place to be the next Michael Jordan, playing for a coach who was an assistant at Carolina when Jordan played three seasons there.

Why would Wiggins select Kansas? Why not?

If he’s the sort of competitor who feeds off a big challenge, maybe he’ll like the idea of being one of two McDonald’s All-Americans from the Class of 2013 winning a national title sought by a Kentucky team with six hamburger All-Stars.

Wiggins hung out with KU signee Wayne Selden during the McDonald’s All-Star Game week and just might like the idea of running the opposite wing from him on the fast lane to the Final Four in Cowboys Stadium.

With Naadir Tharpe, combo guard Conner Frankamp and pure point Frank Mason sharing point-guard duties, Selden and Wiggins manning the wings, polished Perry Ellis and shot-blocker Joel Embiid down low, and forwards Jamari Traylor, Brannen Greene and Andrew White III adding depth, this team could wage some serious battles in practice, where daily improvement would be required of the players just to keep up.

Wiggins had scheduled visits with Roy Williams today, Bill Self on Tuesday and Leonard Hamilton on Wednesday before deciding to cancel all of those visits, according to CBSsports.com's Jeff Goodman. Wiggins already has met with John Calipari.

Regardless of what school Wiggins chooses, he’s expected to be the No. 1 selection in the 2014 NBA Draft. He can’t make a wrong choice.

Comments

Jim Erickson 2 years, 2 months ago

Why I disagree with you... Chalmers, Robinson, Rush, Wright, and Kaun (3 Freshman and 2 Sophomores) in the starting lineup led Kansas to the Big 12 Title... Losing to Bradley sucked but that was a team of relative unknowns that did big things. I'm done putting anything by Self.

Jim Erickson 2 years, 2 months ago

Why I agree with you... Wiggens is a rare talent who seams to be a lot closer to Beasley or Durant than Josh Selby... Carmelo Anthony did huge things with a solid supporting case. Tharpe, Seldon, Wiggens, Ellis, and Embiid would make for a heck of a lineup. An experienced PG, 3 McDonald's All-American's who can score, and a 7-Foot defensive presence... Frankamp, Greene, White III, Traylor, and Lucas all battling for bench minutes sounds pretty good as well. I don't like one-and-dones unless they are difference makers. I'll take Wiggens for a year.

Joseph Bullock 2 years, 2 months ago

Cairo, Your post is right on time, but know this: Frank Mason is one heck of a PG. Most people know nothing about him, but he has moved from being rated around # 145-175, to about #75. And he is probably better than that. As coach Self said, he reminds him a lot of S. Collins. I would agree with that, except he is a much harder worker, and is in better shape now, than Collins was even in. I will also take Wiggins for a year, but it definitely is not Wiggins or bust. We will challenge for the National Championship, with, or without him, but he would make us so much better!

Preston Dwiggins 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for spelling Wiggins correctly TrueBlue. I have to say Collins worked extremely hard. He stayed one year too long as his stock dropped dramatically from his Jr. to his Sr. year.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, canceling home visits with UNC, KU and FSU this week seems to suggest he is going to make Ashley Judd a happy woman.....

Jeffery Barrett 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh well. NC game April 2014 Cowboys Stadium KU 94 UK 93

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 2 months ago

Poor reporting by Bleacher Report. Kentucky had already exhausted its home visits with him, this is why it was not scheduled this week. Cancelling the visits in no way indicates that he is going to Kentucky.
All this indicates that by know he knows all he need to know about the 4 school and additional visits will not help; any additional information h can get via phone call.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

Wiggins has exhausted his visits with Kentucky while leaving visits from the other 3 schools on the table, that doesn't sound like a Kentucky lean at all.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

List of one and done players in the NBA Shawne Williams Greg Oden Mike Conley, Jr Brandan Wright Spencer Hawes Thaddeus Young Daequan Cook Derrick Rose DeAndre Jordan Kevin Love Anthony Randolph J.J. Hickson Kosta Koufos Donte Green Tyreke Evans DeMar DeRozan B.J. Mullens DeMarcus Cousins Xavier Henry Eric Bledsoe Avery Bradley Kyrie Irving Tristan Thompson Brandon Knight Tobias Harris Cory Joseph Josh Selby Kevin Durant Javaris Crittenton Michael Beasley OJ Mayo Eric Gordon Jerryd Bayless Jrue Holiday John Wall Derrick Favors Daniel Orton Hassan Whiteside Tiny Gallon Anthony Davis Micheal Kid Gil Erik Austin Bradley Beal Andre Drummond Moe Harkless Quincy Miller Austin Rivers Marquise Teaque Tony Wroten

More and more kids declare every year. Just like when it was okay to jump high school, to many kids are making the jump. If you can go through that list and tell me the one and done system is working be my guest. These kids need to prove themselves on the college level. All the NBA has to do is be smart, but it won't happen. NBA will be horrible in 5 years, along with college ball at this rate.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

that list was supposed to be vertical, sorry about that.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Great list. Thanks for the research.

Next time just double return (or enter) after list entries.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

Seems similar to a list of non-OAD's.

Some BIG HITS (Durant, D. Rose, Irving) Some showing some promise (DeRozan, A. Davis, Jo. Wall, B. Knight, D. Cousins, A. Bradley, Drummond & Beal) And some REAL MISSES (Sh. Williams, Br. Wright, X. Henry, Selby, Tiny Gallon, H. Whiteside, E. Austin)

ytf23 2 years, 2 months ago

With or without Wiggins, regardless of who OSU has coming back:

John Gallup 2 years, 2 months ago

I bet he still goes with Kentucky, Not getting invested.

KUFan90 2 years, 2 months ago

Agree.

Of course the "Cal Conspiracy" theorists say that he has already pledged to Cal and this is all just show to heighten the anticipation for when he finally does go public with his choice of UK.

If he does announce for UK, I might find myself thinking these people could be on to something.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Julius Randle picking a team with another 6’9”, 5star, PF already locked up didn’t convert you? Once Wig picks Cal, you are welcome aboard.

VaJay 2 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. From what I've heard him say about his game, his ego is WAY too big for this program. I see him going to KY. We'll be fine without him.

Steve Corder 2 years, 2 months ago

UK? Maybe, but the other schools will offer something much better....the ball in his hands.

master16 2 years, 2 months ago

why do people say stuff like this? have you actually seen him play or watched any of his interviews? I've seen plenty of both (highlights and watched him live) and for someone as talented as him he is pretty quiet and laid back. i get the feeling he just wants to play ball, not promote himself. just watch any game where he plays with Randle and you can see who has the bigger ego.

Jack Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure what the "something they could be on to" is exactly?

Scott Smetana 2 years, 2 months ago

It's all about World Wide Wes and Calisleazy's other NBA connections. Cal thinks he's too smart to get caught. He may be right.

Chris1955 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Cal may be too smart to get caught this time. However, consider the fact that the NCAA can't really afford to let a group of incoming all-everything Freshmen "decide" which team gets to win the National Championship, I believe that the NCAA will decide to investigate Kentucky. I'm not sure they need to find anything, they proabably can gin something up. It's kind of a "round up the usual suspects" situation.

Craig Lang 2 years, 2 months ago

These days when a kid waits this long to declare and has Kentucky on his short list, it's a forgone conclusion that he'll go to UK.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I say he grows his hair out and goes with Coach Dooley to FGCU.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 2 months ago

Kentucky...that boat sailed long time ago

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

"In a surprise move, Andrew Wiggins chooses the newly formed University of Phoenix team"

JacquesMerde 2 years, 2 months ago

I wish the ACLU could force the NCAA to repeal the rule forcing players like Wiggins to go to college. He should go directly to the NBA. Wouldn't that chap Cal and Kentucky?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

It's not an NCAA rule. It's an NBA rule, one that was collectively bargained between the players union and the owners. I think the NCAA dislikes the rule as much as the rest of us.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 2 months ago

True. It also doesn't force them to go to college. They just can't play in the NBA for that year. Didn't one kid (Jennings?) make news for playing pro in Europe for that year rather than going to college?

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes. And I think more kids should start doing that.

Jim Erickson 2 years, 2 months ago

I like the baseball rule... Either go pro immediately or play 3 years in college.

dylans 2 years, 2 months ago

+10000000000000000000000

If I knew binary I might have written something snarky too.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

I truly don't believe a rule similar to baseball would work in the current culture of HS basketball and everybody can thank ESPN for that one. Prior to LeBron, you would maybe see 2 or 3 HS games a year on ESPN which would be the McDonald's game and maybe a couple of other all star games, but now you can see at least one HS basketball game a week at least on ESPN. I honestly believe if you allow HS kids to go straight to the NBA now, we'll see at least 15 a year on average declare because so many of these kids are being told how great they are from an early age by people that don't have the kid's best interest in mind instead of being told that they need to go college to develop their game more. I personally think there needs to be a blanket rule of at least 2 years, preferably 3 years, for everyone because that's how long it takes 99.9% of players to be NBA ready that have an NBA future, but it'll never happen because we now live in a culture that makes rules that cater to the exception to the rule rather than the overwhelming majority.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

Right or wrong; if he chooses UK I'll assume he's known his choice for a while now. This would be a nice strategy by Cal to spread out these announcements after drawing in hype on each one of them.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

He says even he doesn't know where he's going but the only comments from him about a specific school all seem to relate to Bandwagon U. I'll be shocked if he's not another bandwagon jumper. I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe the hold up is so that certain school, from a state known for its blue grass can, replenish its bank account to fund his "scholarship"? I'm sure those untraceable transactions take a lot of time to set up.

dylans 2 years, 2 months ago

That and being 3 schollys long. I could be wrong on the scholarship situation at UK, but it seems like they are over the limit right now.

coloradojayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

That's the main reason why I'm not sold on Wiggins. Some kid already on the UK team is going to find out his scholy has been pulled to hand to Wiggins if Wiggins says he's going there (and just for a year). Meanwhile, it's getting late for that kid to change to a different school, plus I expect he'd have to sit out a year (which is another nasty thing to do to a player who you just yanked the scholy from). If you redshirt a player, does his scholarship become available again?

KU has the free scholarship to give to Wiggins without jerking around an existing player, so imho, he should come here and not Kentucky. Then again, I don't know the situations at FSU and UNC - I'd hope they also wouldn't eject a scholarship player just to get Wiggins for a single year.

Ted Hume 2 years, 2 months ago

a player does not lose his scholarship while redshirting. I have a question though, does anyone know if all the other commits have signed their LOI's? If not is it possible one of them- namely James Young- might de-commit?

BasketballBlueBlood 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with JayHawkFanToo, but coloradojayhak your comment reflects a lack of info. With 8 scholarship players coming in and 3 returning players that leaves 2 scholarships. Even if Harrow hadn't have transferred a scholarship would've been available. Everyone at UK new Harrow would transfer after this season. So, no scholarship from another player for Wiggins.

Eric Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

As far as I know, red shirt players still use a scholarship, they just don't use a year of their eligibility. So even if Cal redshirted one of his players who wasn't going to end up playing anyway, he'd still be using the same number of scholarships.

woodscolt 2 years, 2 months ago

"Nobody knows where prep phenom Andrew Wiggins will spend his one year in college"

I do. He is going to Kentucky. Any wagers Keegan. I will guarantee he will be in Kentucky.

grandnanny 2 years, 2 months ago

I've decided (and many will disagree) that we don't need the one and dones every year. If Coach Self wants to develop a team that will win a national championship, he needs a player for more than one year. I liked McLemore so don't get me wrong. I just think that he didn't add as much to the team as he could have if he'd stayed around to develop his talent. (I don't blame him for leaving either.) Players that Self developed (Kevin Young and Nadir Tharpe) did more for the team. I just think the whole system has gone haywire, but I know that is the way it is going to be.

Benz Junque 2 years, 2 months ago

Need I remind you that it was the guy who chose to stay around 4 years (Johnson) who cost KU a run at the Final Four this year...

702Hawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Need I remind you that without Johnson you could kiss last years final four run good bye. The season is over, move on.

Jeff Coffman 2 years, 2 months ago

Last time I checked McLemore spent two years at KU.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 2 months ago

For being the obvious lock-down number one pick in the NBA draft, he didn't really do much in this game to prove that he's worth all of the hype.

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

I would assume that the NBA doesn't particularly like passive players, but maybe that's just me ...

Boouk 2 years, 2 months ago

If he goes to UK, do they go undefeated next year? 40-0?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

The last team to go undefeated, '76 Indiana, started 4 seniors and a junior. The next team to go undefeated might have one one and done player, but the rest of the team will be juniors and seniors.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

I could see them lose to Michigan State in the Champoins Classic.

And then NOT LOSE AGAIN! :(

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

No, because no team will ever go undefeated in men's D1 college basketball again because there is too much parity now and teams don't stay together long enough to do so. The 2006-07 Florida Gators are the only team in past 20 years that had a legitimate chance to do so because they returned every relevant player from a national title team the year before, but they took games off during the regular season to try and stay as fresh and healthy as possible for the NCAA title run which was successful for them.

FearlessJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Regardless of where Wiggins goes, KU is going to be one heck of a team next year. How many times do I have to tell everyone, Bill Self will take whatever you give him and blend it into a great team. If Calicrappi didn't have at least between four and six Mickie D's coming every year to Kensucky, they would be terrible. Great talent is able to overcome his mediocre coaching.

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

As much as I don't like the guy, I think the criticism of his coaching is ridiculous. Lest anyone forget, he took a UMass team that didn't have a huge amount of talent (at least compared to UK) to the Final Four.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 2 months ago

My guess: Wiggins' parents want him to go to Florida State but he wants to go to Kentucky. He's kept KU and UNC in the mix because they're his favorite alternatives.

That said, KU and UNC still have a chance. Can either one of their "closers" compel Wiggins that their school is the best option. Come Friday, Bill Self may be drinking the coffee. Because we all know, "Coffee is for closers!"

"Put that coffee down!"

"Put that coffee down!" by jjjjjhok

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I heard that he's friendly w/ Selden but also w/ K. Meeks of UNC.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Hmmmm. L. Lucas not on Keegs' depth chart?

otaKU 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, I know where he is going...I'm just not telling.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I DON'T know where he's going - and I don't care.

otaKU 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah...I think deep down ya kinda do.

joeloveshawks 2 years, 2 months ago

Wiggins is obviously a stud but after seeing him play in person a couple of times and on TV a number of times I just don't see him at the same level as Lebron, Melo, D Rose or Durant at the same age. I am not an NBA scout so I am probably way off but I don't understand why he is being hyped as the 2nd coming. Maybe I'm just wearing blinders as I just assume he won't be in a KU uniform.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I thought Shabazz Muhammad was the 2nd coming, but apparently it's Wiggins.

The only reason I want to see this kid in Crimson and Blue is so that Self can put it on his resume - to aide in his recruiting in future years. KU has never gotten a "clean" OAD: Xavier was a default after Calipari left Memphis and Selby was academically ineligible.

William Weissbeck 2 years, 2 months ago

While I'd like to see him at KU (Selden made some nifty passes to him during the McD game), part of me wants to see him at UK. It would be bad for college basketball, especially if UK wins it all going away, and maybe put an end to this one and done joke. If he goes to UK and they do the same next year as they did this year, then the Calipari magic will end. I still say the Big 12 made a big mistake not taking Louisville. I can see a future college basketball world composed of the Big 10 and ACC playing an NIT type tournament with their 3-4 year "college" players, while the UK and Florida look for competition with us.

ohjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

The only problem is, no matter how bad that would be for college basketball, it won't have any impact on the OAD rule. That is an NBA rule that is in the collective bargaining agreement between the player's union and the league. My recollection is that the players do not want the OAD to change because it benefits them. Until the NBA and the player's union decide to change the rule, the NCAA has very little choice but to accept it.

William Weissbeck 2 years, 2 months ago

Really? I think it's just part of the NCAA/NBA charade to keep up appearances. The NCAA could penalize schools with loss of scholarships for taking too many OADs, but the member schools wouldn't really want that would they?

Brandon Deines 2 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who thinks he is going anywhere other than Kentucky is engaging in pure fantasy.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm excited for the 2014-2015 season. Next year obviously could be nice, but give all of these studs who likely aren't OAD's a 2nd or 3rd season in AFH and you could be looking at a team rivaling our 1986, 1997, 2003, and 2008 powerhouses.

vd 2 years, 2 months ago

Some rich guys need to get together and create a league to stop this age discrimination used by the NBA. Someone in KC needs to talk to the European leagues and ask to have a KC team join them. Another ABA is needed. Would love to see a football league started too, but this would be cost prohibited. Meanwhile, these pro leagues will continue to use college althletics as their farm systems.

jgkojak 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, the opposite is true- I think you can make it a valid requirement (just like you do for MANY other jobs) you be 21 to be in the league - not sure why the NBA wants to baby-sit and spend time teaching teamwork and fundamentals-

Go to college, go to JUCO, go to the D-league - its not like you don't have places to play -

hell, the NBA should require 1st year d-leaguers to go to classes about money management/sports management, etc.

Jeff Coffman 2 years, 2 months ago

Isn't age discrimination only available for those over 40?

Under 40 they are not a protected class.

Michael Mulvihill 2 years, 2 months ago

John Goodman of CBS is reporting he has cancled the in homes with Kansas, FSU and UNC.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess World Wide Wes found that bag of money that was misplaced under Calipari's bed!!

Now that the suspense is over, let's see who comes in with those last three schollies!!

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

I assume that you mean Jeff Goodman and will post a link so that we can read this report for ourselves.

Michael Mulvihill 2 years, 2 months ago

ya Jeff, it was to early for my eyes still i guess.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

I have a guess. Actually it's not a guess. Wiggins decided he wants to be paid while he waits a year for the NBA.

How much more [expletive] transparent can they possibly get? Kid has been telling anyone who would listen that he has no idea where he wants to go, and even schedules meetings with all four finalist coaches, suggesting that he really isn't sure. Then he meets with Calipari and all of a sudden he's so sure that he doesn't even need to MEET with the other three coaches?!?

If the NCAA doesn't feel the need to at least look into Kentucky's 2013 recruiting class, then they might as well just disband. They clearly aren't doing the job they supposedly exist to do. People should look at a single team that already has highly-touted recruits getting ALL FIVE #1 players at their positions plus 2 additional AAs with a great deal of suspicion. Either Cal is compensating these kids somehow (maybe draft guarantees since he's buds with the not-quite-an-agent "Worldwide" Wes), or this is about the stupidest collection of college athletes I've seen in a long time. Willing to believe any BS Calipari feeds them about playing time and that noise.

Crap like this makes me sour on the sport of college basketball as a whole. And I don't mean crap like Wiggins not coming to Kansas. I would have been fine with him going to ANY of the schools but Kentucky. Because his going to any of the other schools wouldn't have been a surefire suggestion that there is something fishy going on at Kentucky.

Or maybe Wiggins is more like Lebron than any of us realized. Afraid to be "the man", so he runs and hides behind a roster full of highly-touted recruits so that he can blend in. What a loser.

For anyone who wants to read about the corruption with their own eyes: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status...

Ryan Knuth 2 years, 2 months ago

I am not sure how credible he is as a source, but Rob Fulford tweeted something that was RT by Jayhawkslant saying Wiggins will still be speaking to the coaches by phone. Apparently, he is still stuck in Portland. I am sure he is still going to UK, but if this is true at least he's still giving the other coaches a shot.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

What about THIS possibility.

He's decided to go the B. Jennings route!!!!

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 2 months ago

Jeez, I'd love to see Andrew Wiggins bring his game to Lawrence... as long as he leaves the drama in West Virginia!

(Side note: How in the world is Calipari going to put up with so many freshman prima donnas?)

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Goodman is a moron for breaking this story under the circumstances. I apprecaite this second piece because I guarantee you it was damage control for Goodman's stupid story. Goodman is a uk homer like Parrish. This piece is true because Wiggins said, he was "tired" and will go home to take it easy, watch tv, and relax. I don't blame him.

Chill out all until the kid makes a decision. We'll be fine with or without him. Karma is a beeotch and Cal's judgement is coming. It reminds of Shawkshank Redemption. He will jump to the NBA when his nasty story breaks and how he corrupted and got away with virtual murder of programs, but don't think he can hack it in the NBA either. It's funny because all his players can't possibly play and get the pt they all want. His program will implode.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

Gary Parrish is not a Kentucky homer, he's a John Calipari homer.

LngTimeFan 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't think KU needs his swelled head and arrogance. Let him go where his disruptive one year stint won't be of conern. Rather have a kid who has talent and wants to learn from good coaches than someone who thinks he knows it all now. Just my opinion of course.

DRsmith 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you know this kid? I don't, but from everything I have seen and watched, he is very humble and likes to avoid the spot light. I still think it is open so if he choses KU I would like to revisit this post. Just plain dumb.

LngTimeFan 2 years, 2 months ago

No need to call yourself dumb, you can have a differing opinion, it's ok with most people. I just don't like the one and done idea and the disruption it brings to a younger team like KU that lost a group of senior starters.

DRsmith 2 years, 2 months ago

So you want to rag on an 18 yr old kid for having a swelled head and being arrogant even though he hasn't given any indication he is any of that? OK, makes sense. Hate the rule not the kid.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

It's not the kid or the player. It's the stupid vulcher media types like Parrish, Goodman and others who keep trying to break his story. They need to wait and let the kid make a decision before breaking it.

Stephan123 2 years, 2 months ago

I believe the young man is still figuring it out. Give him credit for being in that enviable position of having the pick of the litter. A lone OAD is probably more hassle than he is worth. KU is still in an excellent position for having recruited players that can be formed into a winning team by the KU coaching staff. Nonetheless, he seems like a nice kid that despite being a OAD may fit well into the KU system.

Jeff Coffman 2 years, 2 months ago

How is he even considered a OAD, he has been at KU for two years?

W. Chamberlain isn't a one and done and he did the same thing at KU.

dylans 2 years, 2 months ago

Wilt played two years after sitting his freshman year. But no freshmen could play then. It was a big scandal for Wilt to leave after his junior season though.

mwmilsted 2 years, 2 months ago

I am sorry, but I cannot believe these posts giving Wiggins the benefit of doubt. All of the top 2013 recruits have made up their minds, but #1 cannot handle the choices. Come on. It's time for KU to rescind their offer. If he came to KU, I think he would be disruptive to the team and if things did not work out for him as he expects, then he'd probably leave or sulk or pout or claim that he's tired. Hope HCBS just moves on to other prospects.

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

Is it too late to rescind the offer for you to be a KU fan?

Try not to show your stupidity when you post.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Probably would be the best if he goes somewhere else than KU, as the evidence with one and done players that Self has had shows he doesn't do a good job with them. Selby, McLemore, both spent a lot of time on the bench in many games and KU doesn't make it very far in the NCAA tourny. High power players in the Self program is a failure.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

McLemore was in foul trouble a bunch. There was only 2 games where Self sat him out of anger. But nice try.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't remember McLemore on the bench much except about halfway through the 2nd half in the Michigan game he was in foul trouble. And otherwise, just in the game in Ames & Stillwater really, when his shot happened to be off.

Jack Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

Just a suggestion ~ ignore trolls like wildjayhawk.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Harrison, Harrison, Wiggins, Randle, Johnson with Lee, Young, Poythress, Wiltjer and Cauley-Stien off the bench...the NCAA better change the rules to allow two balls on the court at once!!

The expectations in Lexington will be through the roof with this bunch. I mean I'm talking about going 40 - 0, win every game by a minimum of 20 points and each starter average 20 points per game!!

No pressure here!! :}. Their saving grace is they play in the SEC where they rank fourth in fan favoritism behind, regular season football, post season football and spring football!!

big_john 2 years, 2 months ago

I hope KU never gets a one and done player again. I would much rather have those that want to stay to get an education and mesh together as a team to earn league titles and more. Most flash in the pan players are broke in ten years and no education.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

Ummm, how many? Is LeBron broke? Kobe? Al Jefferson? All of them have been out there for quite a while and I don't think any are struggling $.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

lol what if he chooses Kansas after all these cancelled trips? Of course it isn't likely, but come on lets not jump on the kid to soon.

idahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm kind of glad that Louisville won the NC in the same year that Cal's team cratered in the NIT. That has to really sting! I still can't believe the way Cal threw his players under the bus after their season ended. No culpability on his part.....just clean house and bring in the top ten or so players and maybe he has a chance to be more successful than his upstate rival.(:

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 2 months ago

I feel like Doris Day. "Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera."

"Please, please, don't eat the daisies" . . . at UK, Wiggins!

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

"Will he be handsome? Will he be rich? Here's what she said to me:

K sera sera . . . whatever will be will be."

It's the age-old musical question. Did Doris mean Kentucky? or Kansas?

If Kentucky, then Wiggins is The Man Who Knew Too Much, as he heard the Squid's Pillow Talk and A Touch of Mink. Move Over, Darling Young and Co. HCBS says, "Lover Come Back," and KU fans, "Send Me No Flowers." Ah well, With Six You Get McDonalds Egg McMuffin Roll.

If Kansas, then A Winning Team, and The Thrill Of It All! It's A Great Feeling! Lucky Me!

Gil Ek 2 years, 2 months ago

Not so fast, Wiggins' high school coach said.

“It means nothing,” Rob Fulford told CBSSports.com Monday morning. “He's just tired. He doesn't want to deal with it.”

Wiggins played for the World Team at the Nike Hoop Summit this past weekend, and IS STILL STUCK IN PORTLAND after his flight home was canceled.

“He's just drained,” Fulford said. “He is shutting it down.”

Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 Canada native who attends Huntington Prep (W.Va.), is the No. 1 player in the class of 2013. He had 17 points, nine rebounds and four assists to lead the World Select team to a victory over Team USA on Saturday.

Justin Daniel 2 years, 2 months ago

How does Kentucky have enough scholarships for 8 new players?

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 2 months ago

Because scholarships are only a 1 year deal that gets renewed each year, the consensus is that Cal will make room for his new batch of OADs by pulling scholarships from players currently on the roster. These players would either have to pay their own way for a season, or transfer out and sit for a year. Either way, Cal comes out with a team of new studs and his lesser role players fade further into the shadows or leave completely. Until the rule changes in the NBA the draft entry age is altered (at least another 8 years until the next negotiations), we will be stuck with these sorts of antics.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

All of you going crazy over this.

THEY HAVE ROOM!!!!

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Harrow is gone. Wiltjer is looking to the Zags. You might see one more transfer. It's all their choice too. Calipari is doing nothing to encourage this activity. He's thinking of the best interest of the kids. Wiltjer will never see the floor or even make the traveling squad with this group. Cauley-Stein may not see too many mins. He reminds me of a not so good Patterson. Cauley-Stein should transfer, bail, get out and away from the mess. Calipari does nothing for bigs. Goodwin won't play much either. He may never play at all most games.

DRsmith 2 years, 2 months ago

Wiltjer is staying and so is Cauley-Stein. Goodwin is gone.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Really? I knew Cauley-Stein was staying, hence why the encouragement to leave. Wiltjer was looking to the Zags. I did not know that Goodwin was gone.

Robert Robinson 2 years, 2 months ago

I understand the article is saying no one knows, but the fact he met with the calipari and canceled his other meetings seams like writing on the wall.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 2 months ago

I would agree if he had met Calipari in the last few days; however, the last time he met with the squid was over 3 weeks ago, so I don't read anything into the latest announcement.

Dee Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

If Kentucky is involved my money is on Kentucky. Would it surprise anyone when he makes his announcement that he would choose Kentucky. Not me. I will be surprised if does not choose Kentucky. Anyone Coach Cal. wants he gets. Amazing recruiter. Very frustrating as a KU fan. Seems like we have gone head to head with him several times and have come out empty handed. His luck has to end sometime. Hopefully its soon with Wiggins.

Rob Bedford III 2 years, 2 months ago

Got lucky with Perry being from Kansas to win that battle.

DPW 2 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of money...Calipari showed him the money

SilverfernJay 2 years, 2 months ago

Wiggins just cancelled his in home visits scheduled for this week

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

I could give a flying you know what about Wiggins. Randle was our "need" guy, and the logic of coming to KU was overwhelming for Randle. He went to Kentucky. Why would we, as KU fans, waste our time on Wiggins?

Please go to Kentucky; or FSU; or UNC. Either way, just go. We do not need presumed OADs, and we don't need to recruit them. They don't fit with coach Self's approach to the game (whether we like it or not). And the aggravation of the presumed OADs isn't worth it.

Give me top 50ish guys. A lot of them. Give me Greene, Frankamp, Selden, and Embiid. Give me White, McLemore, and Ellis. Give Collins, Withey, EJ, Chalmers, RRob, Marcus, Markieff, Cole, and TRob.

Give me guys that have to work hard in college to make it in the NBA; guys whose NBA draft status is not assumed, but earned by performance and improvement. That's what KU basketball is about.

My bet is that Self could gain more top 50ish guys by not recruiting the OADs. Would Jermaine Lawrence have been more keen on KU if he knew that Randle wasn't a possibility to block his first year opportunity? Who knows.

I get that every so often a presumed OAD may unexpectedly hang around (Rush); but at what cost? Henry did fine, but was never enough of an "impact" as a presumed OAD; Selby got suspended by the NCAA, got hurt, got behind, and was not a positive deal; We waste our energy talking about these top tier guys who "fit" better elsewhere. Presumed OADs bring expectations that are way too high. We expect Carmelo Anthony. And Wiggins will necessarily stunt the growth of a likely 3-4 year player in our program (Greene and/or White).

I say to Wiggins --- go somewhere else. I don't need your drama. We'll win another way. And it's better for our program, given coach Self's preferences, to get the top 50 guys, just outside of the presumed OAD territory.

All this speculative crap is wasted keystrokes on a guy we shouldn't want in the first place.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

Despite everything you say. I'd STILL like to NOT see him end up at Kentucky!!!!

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Exactly. We're fine with or without him. I just don't want him at uk. I think FLSt would be a good choice, but he gets nothing at all from FLSt. UNC would be the next best fit for him.

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 2 months ago

agreed with not at UK-- anywhere else (but MU) is fine ;) I think Rush had 2 years because he hurt his knee, or else he would have been OAD too I can't wait for this season

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm pumped up now, HEM!! Let's go kick some ace!!

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Very much agree with your entire post up until the drama comment.

I still refuse to judge his personality over a situation without precedent (for him), and where the outcome is still unknown. Only his family, close friends, coaches and teammates know if he is being deliberately dramatic and egotistical. I'm neutral on his character until I see more of him over the next year or two.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Whether or not his actions are deliberate and egotistical is a different question than whether or not his actions are dramatic.

Cancelling planned visits with the head coaches of three major universities, whether done for attention or done because he really is tired, is drama. Whether or not it's because he believes himself and his whims to be more important than the busy schedules of Self, Hamilton and Williams or he just isn't considering what it looks like, it's drama.

I guess what I'm saying is that he may very well be a nice, humble young man. But his actions have bred drama without a doubt. I have a hard time believing that he couldn't have handled himself in a way that squelched drama, rather than fostered it.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Well said. You are absolutely correct to expand the definition of drama this way. I just don't think the character assassinations that other posters have made, do anyone any good at this point.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

Can't Handle in-home visits because you are tired?

You could not hang with Hudy and a 40 game college ball schedule.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Blown- This is a good observation. I'm worried about the kid's work ethic. He is a great athlete and is entitled by default. How dare he have to work and earn his pt? Self's bootcamp may seem like a waste of time for him. Cal will have him on the sidelines during practice with a personal masseuse' and other lavish benefits. Jay Z will come in and perform personally for each player. We all know what other celeb fan bases do for the team. They'll get free motivational NBA speeches from LaBron. WWW will come in each week with their "allowances."

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe he's taking a few days to skim the message boards for his top four choices to get a better idea of what the attitude would be like on campus and among the "fans."

If so, we can cross Kansas off his list at this point.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah Bay, I'm sure he's skimming the boards to make a decision. That wouldn't say a whole lot for his decision making skills if he is using any board to make a decision. According to most, including you, he's already crossed off KU.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Love this twitter convo between Greene and a classmate:

@l_collier13
@b_greene14 is sitting next to me in calculus. I smell like Kansas 12:46 p.m. Mon, Apr 22

Brannen Greene @b_greene14 6h
@liz_collier13 that's the scent of GREATNESS! feel special. 😁 View conversation ·

DanR 2 years, 2 months ago

Brannen Greene is taking calculus? Awesome. It's about time we get a player at KU who can figure out the area under a parabola.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

He's a straight "A" student. I believe his mom is a teacher and his dad is in business. Also, his coach said he took some advanced classes and had no problem with them at all. His work ethic is unbelieveable, on and off the court.

702Hawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Whoa there, Sasha had Diffy Q down pat. We have had some smart players at KU.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

he probably even knew how to handle P diffy Q. I'm sure that he wrote some code that could handle that PDQ.

akgjenkintown 2 years, 2 months ago

Read the article. Obviously UK fans are rejoicing, but everyone will have to wait until he finally makes it official. The biggest lost for KU in this recruiting class will end up being Randle.

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't blame the kid for being tired, and wanting a little R&R, however, I wish he would have considered that the coaches are tired too, and have pre-paid for travel, and scheduled in-advance to meet with him. They find out it's a no-go 1-3 days before?

I know he will be an NBA Pro soon, but this sure doesn't feel like he is "being" professional. If I am off, my apologies.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you actually believe that these coaches fly commercial? They all take their schools corporate jets. KU's budget is right at $80M, I am sure the BBal program can afford a private jet if necessary

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

If this was thought to even POTENTIALLY be an issue....why didn't he schedule the visits for Wed., Thurs., Fri. as opposed to Mon., Tue., Wed.?!

Don't see why they were "cancelled" and not simply postponed.

Still sounds like decision to come that he's going to UK.

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 2 months ago

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if it's UK. O'well, they still lost to Rob Morris in the first round of NIT.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Interesting decision by Wiggins and family. Appears to be a flag that he sees himself as bigger than any one program currently in pursuit of his talent. On the other hand, maybe he is coming down with mono or is actually worn out from recent training, games, and constant presence of microphones. Although he played lots of minutes in the Nike Hoops Summit game, his effort did not soar above that of 5 or 6 other players in that game. Shooting was off; he seemed to defer to teammates...which, at the time, I saw as a plus. At this juncture, I plan to stick the name Andrew Wiggins way back in the bottom corner of my memory bank. If he shows up in Lawrence this summer, fine and well. If he drags his recruitment out til August, I'd be for showing him the door, going with the kids who have bonded throughout the summer months. In retrospect, Rio's missing the summer months in Lawrence might have come back to bite him in the butt, even tho his absence was eligibility related rather than news drama.

Annette Lee 2 years, 2 months ago

HEM is right.. Plus we don't need a 3. We needed Randle or some one like Rico Gathers. Also another PG would be nice.. It's like this each year though, who is going step up? I think Perry will shine but he could play the 3. Lucas might be the next surprise.. He is a below the rim guy but he can rebound and he can shoot from 12 ft in.. Kind of reminds me 08/09. We had Sherron and after that Cole was a ?.I don't think the coaches would agree because they had seen Cole's improvement, but I didn't know that at the beginning of the season.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

With the inside-man need I'm a bit surprised that I don't / didn't hear us linked to that Tulane 5th-year transfer Josh Davis. Avearge 17 & 11 last year?!?!?! Really....we couldn't use that this next season?!?!?!??!!

Last I'd heard about 1 1/2 weeks ago is that he had a Final Four of Gonzaga, Iowa State, Illinois & Pittsburgh. Maybe he was told that he wouldn't be able to play the "4" and would have to be a "garbage man" undersized "5" to get the bulk of minutes he was likely looking for. Maybe could've slide Perry over to the "3" to bring him in?

Michael Bennett 2 years, 2 months ago

I think if Wiggins came here Self would play him at both the 3 and 4. He seems to fit the KU mold of undersized tweener forward: 6'7"-6'8" and highly athletic. He would be an amazing college PF next to a true center.

soapisurfriend 2 years, 2 months ago

If Wiggins elects to go elsewhere, just ease your mind with videos of this guy. Too early to hype a 2016 kid? http://deadspin.com/14-year-old-seventh-woodss-mixtape-is-insane-476683269

Bret Eckert 2 years, 2 months ago

We don't need this ego manic. Cal is a cheater and he and UK will get what they deserve in the end. Let's just hope the end is near.

Annette Lee 2 years, 2 months ago

Drgnslayr I think you are correct but I have to wait and see..HCBS will get some one, Josh sounds good..

soapisurfriend 2 years, 2 months ago

In other news, it looks like Angel Rodriguez is leaving KSU.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if he ends up at South Carolina :)

jazzbeau 2 years, 2 months ago

First I have to say that I'm a life-long KU basketball fan. My first visit to Allen was to see Wilt vs Nebraska when I was 8 yrs. old. I am however a Basketball fan more than a Jayhawk fan. I've recently moved to Lawrence, but am a WSU alum. ( realizing it's unbelievable that in my major, WSU was the better choice) Since my move I've been struck by the myopia of the local fans. It's like the Colo. border was just west of Manhattan. And I must say at this point that I'm not a shocker with a chip on my shoulder. I don't think KU-WSU should play during the regular season and yes I realized the WSU program will never compare with KU (who can?) But WSU is the now the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the state (no respect ... how was coach Marshall Not national coach of the year?) So here's a reminder from west of Manhattan: Wiggan's brother a Shocker, tweeted during the final four that his little brother was gonna "shock" the world when he announced. And although Marshall may not want a OAD, the opportunity to play his one year with his brother seems to me a stronger family connection than FSU. I would love it if he commits to WSU (who's never mentioned here or elsewhere), just to make fools of all the national media .... just sayin' .... RCJH !!

DRsmith 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Puff, Puff, Pass my man. Wouldn't WSU have to actually be on his list? Not happening.

Brian Conrad 2 years, 2 months ago

Prediction... UK is crowned champ from day one by media .. Looses couple games in weak SEC then gets knocked out in second round by Senior laden team... Like a New Mexico , Butler or St Louis

DanR 2 years, 2 months ago

jazzbeau, welcome to Lawrence. I'd love to see Andrew Wiggins end up in Wichita... that would be an absolutely phenomenal twist! Actually, I can't think of a decision that would make me respect the kid more, but it's probably not going to happen. (I don't think he'll pick KU either.)

utahjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

These kids really like to build the hype because ultimately it builds their cache and their brand. His "advisers" build this stupid drama and he goes along for the ride. I think we learned this from the Randle saga, where it was obvious after the fact that he used the other schools when he had chosen uk along time ago.

AZHawk72 2 years, 2 months ago

Agree with you High Elite--when we lost Randle to Kentucky, I could not really care about any other late adds. Wiggins is clearly the best 3, perhaps, in years--but White and Greene are not chopped liver, and I can more than live with a position that already has a promising future with these two on board.

The other day I was going through a couple boxes encompassing my somewhat sordid years on the Hill, and I couldn't even find the addresses for my last two years in Lawrence. I had a job in KC during those two years and was always on the go. I mean, any dump would do as my future was somewhat already written, so I was just using these "dumps" for Lawrence cred, sort of. Five memorable years and two degrees later, and I now realize that I had the attitude of a OAD. And, of course, that didn't exist in 72 and 73...

It could have been the dust, but I just couldn't get the stench out of my having used people, apartments and even a university to reach my goal. The thought of athletes renting a university for a year doesn't make me feel any better, either.

rickydick 2 years, 2 months ago

I 've had enough of this clown. Just go some other place that wants you. KU will be better off w/o him.

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 2 months ago

let's not call the kid a clown just yet. Wiggins might still choose the Jayhawks. Although I completely understand how you feel. He needs to announce soon.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

now that the "Wiggins, Come on down!" crowd has officially turned into the "Wiggins is a clown" crowd, you can bet the farm that he's not gonna end up on Bill Self's team.

Yeah, the recruiting saga gets a little unbearable, even for us fans who don't even have any skin in the game, but I read a lot of posts on here that prove to me how many fans are not above name-calling and trash-talking a kid who still is (at least by every account available to us) considering attending our school of choice.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Have been trying to say the same thing, plastic. I wonder if any of these so-called KU fans are trolling wildcat fans (either purple or blue) who are hoping to misrepresent our fan base. If not, I'm frankly embarrassed by the attitude of some of our alums.

gchawk 2 years, 2 months ago

PlasticJHawk, I completely agree with you. I've talked to a number of players, and coaches, on our team and, unfortunately, they DO read the message boards. Think about it, how many of us go back and re-read our own post just to see who may have responded to it? These "kids" aren't any different, only instead of just a few post, they have an entire article and several post dedicated to them. It's similar to a bad car wreck, you just can't help yourself, it's human nature to see what's being written about you. Like everyone else, I'd love to see Wiggins join our team, he is definitely a phenomenal player, but we'll all have to just keep our fingers crossed.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 2 months ago

Just looking at this kid tells me that he will end up playing his one year and out at Kentucky. He like the rest that has only one thing on their minds and that is the almighty dollar and no education to back them up later on in life. KU does not need a another crybaby/drama type player like Josh Shelby was. Let the kid go the Kentucky, Calipari will make sure the kid has a tutor to do all his work for him in and out of classes and maybe he will know how to sign his name and be able balance his check book after he is drafted.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 2 months ago

I think everyone's just in a sour mood with Julius Randle TRULY MAKING A MISTAKE in going with UK....NOT a good fit.

So, OF COURSE, means if Wiggins drags it out and shows inklings for UK or even has UK on his list AT ALL we're SURE he's going to them.

I'm one of those that would gladly take him, BUT if we don't get him.....at least go to FSU or UNC.....NOT UK!!!!

IF he does go to UK, the NCAA would need to IMMEDIATELY investigate this last recruiting class and the relationships Calipari has with the like of "Worldwide" Wes, etc. The disparity in the housing for the men's basketball players.....ALL OF THE PERKS that UK has that aren't present at other schools and for now have been allowed.

Kip_McSmithers 2 years, 2 months ago

Why should the NCAA only investigate IF UK gets Wiggins? Do you think Wiggins is the only recruit that they went after and broke rules getting??

gorilla10 2 years, 2 months ago

Wiggins is going to Kentucky people....give it up!

KU has a great class coming in. Would've been even better landing either Wiggins or Randle and moved us to a top 5 team to start the year with the addition of one of them. Something tells me that we will have another strong year as always in 2013-2014 and have a national caliber powerhouse team in 2015....Rock Chalk

Preston Dwiggins 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm just glad these All Star games are over. It gets Wiggins away from all the KY players. It also stops all the KY players from having cohesion sooner than they should. If it seems to good to be true, it always is...Kentucky one and done's, Lance Armstrong, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Arod, Ben Johnson, Marion Jones just to name a few. INVESTIGATE CALIPARI.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 2 months ago

Let the kid play in the SEC. The majority schools of the SEC are for the Dumb Jock's that can't read or write anyway.