Originally published April 21, 2013 at 11:46p.m., updated April 22, 2013 at 04:49p.m.

Keegan

Opinion: Guessing game — Nobody knows where prep phenom Andrew Wiggins will spend his one year in college

McDonald's East All-American's Andrew Wiggins looks up during the first half of the McDonald's All-American boys basketball game in Chicago, Wednesday, April 3, 2013.

photo

Associated Press

A voice of reason rises above the discordant sounds of self-annointed expertise regarding the recruitment of an 18-year-old basketball player. And that wise voice belongs to the teenager himself.

“Anyone who says they know where I’m going is a liar,” Andrew Wiggins famously said. “I don’t know where I’m going, so they can’t know where I’m going.”

Bingo!

But that won’t stop many who state pure guesses with absolute certainty. He’s down to four choices, so four self-anointed experts each could make a different guess, and after Wiggins picks a school, the guy who’s right will be the only one who returns the call of the radio producer looking for a guest to discuss the decision. Nobody will remember the other three guys’ guesses, and the one who’s right will brag about it until he guesses wrong on a future coveted recruit.

If the insider guessing Florida State happens to guess right, he will explain that he knew all along Wiggins was heading to Tallahassee because the family connections to the school made it impossible for him to choose anyplace else. His father, Mitchell Wiggins, was drafted in the first round out of Florida State and played six NBA seasons. His mother, Marita Payne-Wiggins, ran for a pair of Canadian relay teams that won silver medals in the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

Should the expert guessing Kentucky while pretending to know guesses correctly, he’ll cite Wiggins’ desire to be part of the greatest recruiting class of all time as the factor that swayed him.

North Carolina? What better place to be the next Michael Jordan, playing for a coach who was an assistant at Carolina when Jordan played three seasons there.

Why would Wiggins select Kansas? Why not?

If he’s the sort of competitor who feeds off a big challenge, maybe he’ll like the idea of being one of two McDonald’s All-Americans from the Class of 2013 winning a national title sought by a Kentucky team with six hamburger All-Stars.

Wiggins hung out with KU signee Wayne Selden during the McDonald’s All-Star Game week and just might like the idea of running the opposite wing from him on the fast lane to the Final Four in Cowboys Stadium.

With Naadir Tharpe, combo guard Conner Frankamp and pure point Frank Mason sharing point-guard duties, Selden and Wiggins manning the wings, polished Perry Ellis and shot-blocker Joel Embiid down low, and forwards Jamari Traylor, Brannen Greene and Andrew White III adding depth, this team could wage some serious battles in practice, where daily improvement would be required of the players just to keep up.

Wiggins had scheduled visits with Roy Williams today, Bill Self on Tuesday and Leonard Hamilton on Wednesday before deciding to cancel all of those visits, according to CBSsports.com's Jeff Goodman. Wiggins already has met with John Calipari.

Regardless of what school Wiggins chooses, he’s expected to be the No. 1 selection in the 2014 NBA Draft. He can’t make a wrong choice.

Comments

Terry N Tom Denner 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Let the kid play in the SEC. The majority schools of the SEC are for the Dumb Jock's that can't read or write anyway.

Ralster Jayhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I could care less about Calipari--why would a royalty program be jealous of another top program? He can take 4-6 top ranked guys/year. There are 30 top30 guys. Do the stupid, elementary-school level math, people--this is a naturally limiting issue. Quit crying about something that matters little. Kaleb Tarczewski, Deandre Daniels, Julius Randle, Andrew Wiggins, blah, blah, blah. And then there's the top10 kids we did get: Xavier (lackluster, non-impact player, no D), and Selby (hurt). So no guarantee even if we do get a kid. Blah, blah, blah. All the KU people on pins&needles about this doesnt amount to squat! Go ahead and inflate his ego some more. I'd like this kid to shake MJ's hand 1 time, and maybe he might feel back down to his 18yr old size. Wonder if he's been taking cues from women/jr.high girls instead, going for that drama...

Preston Dwiggins 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm just glad these All Star games are over. It gets Wiggins away from all the KY players. It also stops all the KY players from having cohesion sooner than they should. If it seems to good to be true, it always is...Kentucky one and done's, Lance Armstrong, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Arod, Ben Johnson, Marion Jones just to name a few. INVESTIGATE CALIPARI.

gorilla10 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Wiggins is going to Kentucky people....give it up!

KU has a great class coming in. Would've been even better landing either Wiggins or Randle and moved us to a top 5 team to start the year with the addition of one of them. Something tells me that we will have another strong year as always in 2013-2014 and have a national caliber powerhouse team in 2015....Rock Chalk

Kevin Huffman 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I think everyone's just in a sour mood with Julius Randle TRULY MAKING A MISTAKE in going with UK....NOT a good fit.

So, OF COURSE, means if Wiggins drags it out and shows inklings for UK or even has UK on his list AT ALL we're SURE he's going to them.

I'm one of those that would gladly take him, BUT if we don't get him.....at least go to FSU or UNC.....NOT UK!!!!

IF he does go to UK, the NCAA would need to IMMEDIATELY investigate this last recruiting class and the relationships Calipari has with the like of "Worldwide" Wes, etc. The disparity in the housing for the men's basketball players.....ALL OF THE PERKS that UK has that aren't present at other schools and for now have been allowed.

midwest_muser 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I'll be relieved when he chooses another school......The group HCBS has assembled is poised to be GREAT in two years. I'd rather see Greene and White get the minutes and develop.

Terry N Tom Denner 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Just looking at this kid tells me that he will end up playing his one year and out at Kentucky. He like the rest that has only one thing on their minds and that is the almighty dollar and no education to back them up later on in life. KU does not need a another crybaby/drama type player like Josh Shelby was. Let the kid go the Kentucky, Calipari will make sure the kid has a tutor to do all his work for him in and out of classes and maybe he will know how to sign his name and be able balance his check book after he is drafted.

gchawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

PlasticJHawk, I completely agree with you. I've talked to a number of players, and coaches, on our team and, unfortunately, they DO read the message boards. Think about it, how many of us go back and re-read our own post just to see who may have responded to it? These "kids" aren't any different, only instead of just a few post, they have an entire article and several post dedicated to them. It's similar to a bad car wreck, you just can't help yourself, it's human nature to see what's being written about you. Like everyone else, I'd love to see Wiggins join our team, he is definitely a phenomenal player, but we'll all have to just keep our fingers crossed.

rickydick 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I 've had enough of this clown. Just go some other place that wants you. KU will be better off w/o him.

AZHawk72 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Agree with you High Elite--when we lost Randle to Kentucky, I could not really care about any other late adds. Wiggins is clearly the best 3, perhaps, in years--but White and Greene are not chopped liver, and I can more than live with a position that already has a promising future with these two on board.

The other day I was going through a couple boxes encompassing my somewhat sordid years on the Hill, and I couldn't even find the addresses for my last two years in Lawrence. I had a job in KC during those two years and was always on the go. I mean, any dump would do as my future was somewhat already written, so I was just using these "dumps" for Lawrence cred, sort of. Five memorable years and two degrees later, and I now realize that I had the attitude of a OAD. And, of course, that didn't exist in 72 and 73...

It could have been the dust, but I just couldn't get the stench out of my having used people, apartments and even a university to reach my goal. The thought of athletes renting a university for a year doesn't make me feel any better, either.

utahjayhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

These kids really like to build the hype because ultimately it builds their cache and their brand. His "advisers" build this stupid drama and he goes along for the ride. I think we learned this from the Randle saga, where it was obvious after the fact that he used the other schools when he had chosen uk along time ago.

DanR 11 months, 4 weeks ago

jazzbeau, welcome to Lawrence. I'd love to see Andrew Wiggins end up in Wichita... that would be an absolutely phenomenal twist! Actually, I can't think of a decision that would make me respect the kid more, but it's probably not going to happen. (I don't think he'll pick KU either.)

Brian Conrad 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Prediction... UK is crowned champ from day one by media .. Looses couple games in weak SEC then gets knocked out in second round by Senior laden team... Like a New Mexico , Butler or St Louis

jazzbeau 11 months, 4 weeks ago

First I have to say that I'm a life-long KU basketball fan. My first visit to Allen was to see Wilt vs Nebraska when I was 8 yrs. old. I am however a Basketball fan more than a Jayhawk fan. I've recently moved to Lawrence, but am a WSU alum. ( realizing it's unbelievable that in my major, WSU was the better choice) Since my move I've been struck by the myopia of the local fans. It's like the Colo. border was just west of Manhattan. And I must say at this point that I'm not a shocker with a chip on my shoulder. I don't think KU-WSU should play during the regular season and yes I realized the WSU program will never compare with KU (who can?) But WSU is the now the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the state (no respect ... how was coach Marshall Not national coach of the year?) So here's a reminder from west of Manhattan: Wiggan's brother a Shocker, tweeted during the final four that his little brother was gonna "shock" the world when he announced. And although Marshall may not want a OAD, the opportunity to play his one year with his brother seems to me a stronger family connection than FSU. I would love it if he commits to WSU (who's never mentioned here or elsewhere), just to make fools of all the national media .... just sayin' .... RCJH !!

soapisurfriend 11 months, 4 weeks ago

In other news, it looks like Angel Rodriguez is leaving KSU.

Annette Lee 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Drgnslayr I think you are correct but I have to wait and see..HCBS will get some one, Josh sounds good..

kueck 11 months, 4 weeks ago

We don't need this ego manic. Cal is a cheater and he and UK will get what they deserve in the end. Let's just hope the end is near.

soapisurfriend 11 months, 4 weeks ago

If Wiggins elects to go elsewhere, just ease your mind with videos of this guy. Too early to hype a 2016 kid? http://deadspin.com/14-year-old-seventh-woodss-mixtape-is-insane-476683269

Annette Lee 11 months, 4 weeks ago

HEM is right.. Plus we don't need a 3. We needed Randle or some one like Rico Gathers. Also another PG would be nice.. It's like this each year though, who is going step up? I think Perry will shine but he could play the 3. Lucas might be the next surprise.. He is a below the rim guy but he can rebound and he can shoot from 12 ft in.. Kind of reminds me 08/09. We had Sherron and after that Cole was a ?.I don't think the coaches would agree because they had seen Cole's improvement, but I didn't know that at the beginning of the season.

REHawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Interesting decision by Wiggins and family. Appears to be a flag that he sees himself as bigger than any one program currently in pursuit of his talent. On the other hand, maybe he is coming down with mono or is actually worn out from recent training, games, and constant presence of microphones. Although he played lots of minutes in the Nike Hoops Summit game, his effort did not soar above that of 5 or 6 other players in that game. Shooting was off; he seemed to defer to teammates...which, at the time, I saw as a plus. At this juncture, I plan to stick the name Andrew Wiggins way back in the bottom corner of my memory bank. If he shows up in Lawrence this summer, fine and well. If he drags his recruitment out til August, I'd be for showing him the door, going with the kids who have bonded throughout the summer months. In retrospect, Rio's missing the summer months in Lawrence might have come back to bite him in the butt, even tho his absence was eligibility related rather than news drama.

Ralster Jayhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Guessing game? Please. Jayhawk Nation should be ashamed of itself, go change your pants, as you wetted them with drool over some 18y/o OAD. Maybe Im a little more concerned about rebuilding the chemistry and maintaining our program's integrity to lose much sleep over ANY 1 kid, eh? Mr. Wiggins, good luck in your basketball career...please choose some school other than KU unless you 100% buy-in to the HARD WORK that Bill Self has in store for every player. Ask all the past MickeyDs KU has had. We want your 100%, or we dont want you. The joke on colleges is that such a kid cannot go directly pro anymore like Kobe and LeBron did. If a kid is so good, then what's to fear? We just dont want a disruption, since our system MUST have cohesive team play. Next...

Kevin Huffman 11 months, 4 weeks ago

If this was thought to even POTENTIALLY be an issue....why didn't he schedule the visits for Wed., Thurs., Fri. as opposed to Mon., Tue., Wed.?!

Don't see why they were "cancelled" and not simply postponed.

Still sounds like decision to come that he's going to UK.

hawkmoon2020 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Don't blame the kid for being tired, and wanting a little R&R, however, I wish he would have considered that the coaches are tired too, and have pre-paid for travel, and scheduled in-advance to meet with him. They find out it's a no-go 1-3 days before?

I know he will be an NBA Pro soon, but this sure doesn't feel like he is "being" professional. If I am off, my apologies.

IrishCharlie 11 months, 4 weeks ago

can't daddy be offered a coaching job at KU, it's worked before!

PwopellewCap 11 months, 4 weeks ago

p>ESPN.com is reporting that after meeting with KY Wiggins has canceled his visits with KU, UNC & FSU. Uh oh?

Joe Baker 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Love this twitter convo between Greene and a classmate:

@l_collier13
@b_greene14 is sitting next to me in calculus. I smell like Kansas 12:46 p.m. Mon, Apr 22

Brannen Greene @b_greene14 6h
@liz_collier13 that's the scent of GREATNESS! feel special. 😁 View conversation ·

Ron Franklin 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Can't Handle in-home visits because you are tired?

You could not hang with Hudy and a 40 game college ball schedule.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I could give a flying you know what about Wiggins. Randle was our "need" guy, and the logic of coming to KU was overwhelming for Randle. He went to Kentucky. Why would we, as KU fans, waste our time on Wiggins?

Please go to Kentucky; or FSU; or UNC. Either way, just go. We do not need presumed OADs, and we don't need to recruit them. They don't fit with coach Self's approach to the game (whether we like it or not). And the aggravation of the presumed OADs isn't worth it.

Give me top 50ish guys. A lot of them. Give me Greene, Frankamp, Selden, and Embiid. Give me White, McLemore, and Ellis. Give Collins, Withey, EJ, Chalmers, RRob, Marcus, Markieff, Cole, and TRob.

Give me guys that have to work hard in college to make it in the NBA; guys whose NBA draft status is not assumed, but earned by performance and improvement. That's what KU basketball is about.

My bet is that Self could gain more top 50ish guys by not recruiting the OADs. Would Jermaine Lawrence have been more keen on KU if he knew that Randle wasn't a possibility to block his first year opportunity? Who knows.

I get that every so often a presumed OAD may unexpectedly hang around (Rush); but at what cost? Henry did fine, but was never enough of an "impact" as a presumed OAD; Selby got suspended by the NCAA, got hurt, got behind, and was not a positive deal; We waste our energy talking about these top tier guys who "fit" better elsewhere. Presumed OADs bring expectations that are way too high. We expect Carmelo Anthony. And Wiggins will necessarily stunt the growth of a likely 3-4 year player in our program (Greene and/or White).

I say to Wiggins --- go somewhere else. I don't need your drama. We'll win another way. And it's better for our program, given coach Self's preferences, to get the top 50 guys, just outside of the presumed OAD territory.

All this speculative crap is wasted keystrokes on a guy we shouldn't want in the first place.

SilverfernJay 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Wiggins just cancelled his in home visits scheduled for this week

DPW 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Speaking of money...Calipari showed him the money

Dee Shaw 11 months, 4 weeks ago

If Kentucky is involved my money is on Kentucky. Would it surprise anyone when he makes his announcement that he would choose Kentucky. Not me. I will be surprised if does not choose Kentucky. Anyone Coach Cal. wants he gets. Amazing recruiter. Very frustrating as a KU fan. Seems like we have gone head to head with him several times and have come out empty handed. His luck has to end sometime. Hopefully its soon with Wiggins.

Robert Robinson 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I understand the article is saying no one knows, but the fact he met with the calipari and canceled his other meetings seams like writing on the wall.

Justin Daniel 11 months, 4 weeks ago

How does Kentucky have enough scholarships for 8 new players?

Gil Ek 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Not so fast, Wiggins' high school coach said.

“It means nothing,” Rob Fulford told CBSSports.com Monday morning. “He's just tired. He doesn't want to deal with it.”

Wiggins played for the World Team at the Nike Hoop Summit this past weekend, and IS STILL STUCK IN PORTLAND after his flight home was canceled.

“He's just drained,” Fulford said. “He is shutting it down.”

Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 Canada native who attends Huntington Prep (W.Va.), is the No. 1 player in the class of 2013. He had 17 points, nine rebounds and four assists to lead the World Select team to a victory over Team USA on Saturday.

hawkmoon2020 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I feel like Doris Day. "Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera."

"Please, please, don't eat the daisies" . . . at UK, Wiggins!

idahawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm kind of glad that Louisville won the NC in the same year that Cal's team cratered in the NIT. That has to really sting! I still can't believe the way Cal threw his players under the bus after their season ended. No culpability on his part.....just clean house and bring in the top ten or so players and maybe he has a chance to be more successful than his upstate rival.(:

Ethan Berger 11 months, 4 weeks ago

lol what if he chooses Kansas after all these cancelled trips? Of course it isn't likely, but come on lets not jump on the kid to soon.

big_john 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I hope KU never gets a one and done player again. I would much rather have those that want to stay to get an education and mesh together as a team to earn league titles and more. Most flash in the pan players are broke in ten years and no education.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Harrison, Harrison, Wiggins, Randle, Johnson with Lee, Young, Poythress, Wiltjer and Cauley-Stien off the bench...the NCAA better change the rules to allow two balls on the court at once!!

The expectations in Lexington will be through the roof with this bunch. I mean I'm talking about going 40 - 0, win every game by a minimum of 20 points and each starter average 20 points per game!!

No pressure here!! :}. Their saving grace is they play in the SEC where they rank fourth in fan favoritism behind, regular season football, post season football and spring football!!

wildjayhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Probably would be the best if he goes somewhere else than KU, as the evidence with one and done players that Self has had shows he doesn't do a good job with them. Selby, McLemore, both spent a lot of time on the bench in many games and KU doesn't make it very far in the NCAA tourny. High power players in the Self program is a failure.

mwmilsted 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I am sorry, but I cannot believe these posts giving Wiggins the benefit of doubt. All of the top 2013 recruits have made up their minds, but #1 cannot handle the choices. Come on. It's time for KU to rescind their offer. If he came to KU, I think he would be disruptive to the team and if things did not work out for him as he expects, then he'd probably leave or sulk or pout or claim that he's tired. Hope HCBS just moves on to other prospects.

William Blake 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm removing my KU blinders for Wiggins. He's a stud and I like watching quality ball. Wherever he goes, I'll watch him.

I just hope he doesn't go to UK because I hate having to wash off my screen every time it shows Cal's greasy hair.

William Blake 11 months, 4 weeks ago

CS has been actively looking ahead for top tier talent. Anyone think he'd like to get more than 1 or 2 top tier players in a year? He mentioned before that he would prefer to limit OADs on any one team.

Maybe he is just trying to make sure we get 1 or 2 and it takes the recruiting of most of them to achieve that.

BMac has been our shining star of OADs and he didn't really make a difference in March. Okay, technically he is considered an OAD... But he is the one OAD-like that left with close to 100% approval rating from Jayhawk fans. I remember all the fuss created by Selby and X... the expectations run high and I believe it is healthier for us to be selective on OADs so we don't get frustrated.

Stephan123 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I believe the young man is still figuring it out. Give him credit for being in that enviable position of having the pick of the litter. A lone OAD is probably more hassle than he is worth. KU is still in an excellent position for having recruited players that can be formed into a winning team by the KU coaching staff. Nonetheless, he seems like a nice kid that despite being a OAD may fit well into the KU system.

LngTimeFan 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I don't think KU needs his swelled head and arrogance. Let him go where his disruptive one year stint won't be of conern. Rather have a kid who has talent and wants to learn from good coaches than someone who thinks he knows it all now. Just my opinion of course.

Sam Constance 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I have a guess. Actually it's not a guess. Wiggins decided he wants to be paid while he waits a year for the NBA.

How much more [expletive] transparent can they possibly get? Kid has been telling anyone who would listen that he has no idea where he wants to go, and even schedules meetings with all four finalist coaches, suggesting that he really isn't sure. Then he meets with Calipari and all of a sudden he's so sure that he doesn't even need to MEET with the other three coaches?!?

If the NCAA doesn't feel the need to at least look into Kentucky's 2013 recruiting class, then they might as well just disband. They clearly aren't doing the job they supposedly exist to do. People should look at a single team that already has highly-touted recruits getting ALL FIVE #1 players at their positions plus 2 additional AAs with a great deal of suspicion. Either Cal is compensating these kids somehow (maybe draft guarantees since he's buds with the not-quite-an-agent "Worldwide" Wes), or this is about the stupidest collection of college athletes I've seen in a long time. Willing to believe any BS Calipari feeds them about playing time and that noise.

Crap like this makes me sour on the sport of college basketball as a whole. And I don't mean crap like Wiggins not coming to Kansas. I would have been fine with him going to ANY of the schools but Kentucky. Because his going to any of the other schools wouldn't have been a surefire suggestion that there is something fishy going on at Kentucky.

Or maybe Wiggins is more like Lebron than any of us realized. Afraid to be "the man", so he runs and hides behind a roster full of highly-touted recruits so that he can blend in. What a loser.

For anyone who wants to read about the corruption with their own eyes: https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/status/326335620635037697

Michael Mulvihill 11 months, 4 weeks ago

John Goodman of CBS is reporting he has cancled the in homes with Kansas, FSU and UNC.

vd 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Some rich guys need to get together and create a league to stop this age discrimination used by the NBA. Someone in KC needs to talk to the European leagues and ask to have a KC team join them. Another ABA is needed. Would love to see a football league started too, but this would be cost prohibited. Meanwhile, these pro leagues will continue to use college althletics as their farm systems.

Steve Gantz 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm excited for the 2014-2015 season. Next year obviously could be nice, but give all of these studs who likely aren't OAD's a 2nd or 3rd season in AFH and you could be looking at a team rivaling our 1986, 1997, 2003, and 2008 powerhouses.

Brandon Deines 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Anyone who thinks he is going anywhere other than Kentucky is engaging in pure fantasy.

William Weissbeck 11 months, 4 weeks ago

While I'd like to see him at KU (Selden made some nifty passes to him during the McD game), part of me wants to see him at UK. It would be bad for college basketball, especially if UK wins it all going away, and maybe put an end to this one and done joke. If he goes to UK and they do the same next year as they did this year, then the Calipari magic will end. I still say the Big 12 made a big mistake not taking Louisville. I can see a future college basketball world composed of the Big 10 and ACC playing an NIT type tournament with their 3-4 year "college" players, while the UK and Florida look for competition with us.

joeloveshawks 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Wiggins is obviously a stud but after seeing him play in person a couple of times and on TV a number of times I just don't see him at the same level as Lebron, Melo, D Rose or Durant at the same age. I am not an NBA scout so I am probably way off but I don't understand why he is being hyped as the 2nd coming. Maybe I'm just wearing blinders as I just assume he won't be in a KU uniform.

otaKU 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Actually, I know where he is going...I'm just not telling.

REHawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Hmmmm. L. Lucas not on Keegs' depth chart?

Mike Barnhart 11 months, 4 weeks ago

My guess: Wiggins' parents want him to go to Florida State but he wants to go to Kentucky. He's kept KU and UNC in the mix because they're his favorite alternatives.

That said, KU and UNC still have a chance. Can either one of their "closers" compel Wiggins that their school is the best option. Come Friday, Bill Self may be drinking the coffee. Because we all know, "Coffee is for closers!"

"Put that coffee down!"

"Put that coffee down!" by jjjjjhok

FearlessJayhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Regardless of where Wiggins goes, KU is going to be one heck of a team next year. How many times do I have to tell everyone, Bill Self will take whatever you give him and blend it into a great team. If Calicrappi didn't have at least between four and six Mickie D's coming every year to Kensucky, they would be terrible. Great talent is able to overcome his mediocre coaching.

Boouk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

If he goes to UK, do they go undefeated next year? 40-0?

William Blake 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that Wiggins will not be attending the University of Phoenix, with their online basketball program. He should reconsider... at least he wouldn't get hurt and would have safe passive to the NBA.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 4 weeks ago

For being the obvious lock-down number one pick in the NBA draft, he didn't really do much in this game to prove that he's worth all of the hype.

grandnanny 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I've decided (and many will disagree) that we don't need the one and dones every year. If Coach Self wants to develop a team that will win a national championship, he needs a player for more than one year. I liked McLemore so don't get me wrong. I just think that he didn't add as much to the team as he could have if he'd stayed around to develop his talent. (I don't blame him for leaving either.) Players that Self developed (Kevin Young and Nadir Tharpe) did more for the team. I just think the whole system has gone haywire, but I know that is the way it is going to be.

woodscolt 11 months, 4 weeks ago

"Nobody knows where prep phenom Andrew Wiggins will spend his one year in college"

I do. He is going to Kentucky. Any wagers Keegan. I will guarantee he will be in Kentucky.

jhox 11 months, 4 weeks ago

He says even he doesn't know where he's going but the only comments from him about a specific school all seem to relate to Bandwagon U. I'll be shocked if he's not another bandwagon jumper. I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe the hold up is so that certain school, from a state known for its blue grass can, replenish its bank account to fund his "scholarship"? I'm sure those untraceable transactions take a lot of time to set up.

Ron Franklin 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Right or wrong; if he chooses UK I'll assume he's known his choice for a while now. This would be a nice strategy by Cal to spread out these announcements after drawing in hype on each one of them.

JacquesMerde 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I wish the ACLU could force the NCAA to repeal the rule forcing players like Wiggins to go to college. He should go directly to the NBA. Wouldn't that chap Cal and Kentucky?

Martin Rosenblum 11 months, 4 weeks ago

"In a surprise move, Andrew Wiggins chooses the newly formed University of Phoenix team"

Danny Hernandez 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Kentucky...that boat sailed long time ago

nuleafjhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I say he grows his hair out and goes with Coach Dooley to FGCU.

Craig Lang 11 months, 4 weeks ago

These days when a kid waits this long to declare and has Kentucky on his short list, it's a forgone conclusion that he'll go to UK.

Jack Jones 12 months ago

I'm not sure what the "something they could be on to" is exactly?

syceda 12 months ago

I bet he still goes with Kentucky, Not getting invested.

ytf23 12 months ago

With or without Wiggins, regardless of who OSU has coming back:

Ethan Berger 12 months ago

List of one and done players in the NBA Shawne Williams Greg Oden Mike Conley, Jr Brandan Wright Spencer Hawes Thaddeus Young Daequan Cook Derrick Rose DeAndre Jordan Kevin Love Anthony Randolph J.J. Hickson Kosta Koufos Donte Green Tyreke Evans DeMar DeRozan B.J. Mullens DeMarcus Cousins Xavier Henry Eric Bledsoe Avery Bradley Kyrie Irving Tristan Thompson Brandon Knight Tobias Harris Cory Joseph Josh Selby Kevin Durant Javaris Crittenton Michael Beasley OJ Mayo Eric Gordon Jerryd Bayless Jrue Holiday John Wall Derrick Favors Daniel Orton Hassan Whiteside Tiny Gallon Anthony Davis Micheal Kid Gil Erik Austin Bradley Beal Andre Drummond Moe Harkless Quincy Miller Austin Rivers Marquise Teaque Tony Wroten

More and more kids declare every year. Just like when it was okay to jump high school, to many kids are making the jump. If you can go through that list and tell me the one and done system is working be my guest. These kids need to prove themselves on the college level. All the NBA has to do is be smart, but it won't happen. NBA will be horrible in 5 years, along with college ball at this rate.