Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bill Self in good company at L.A. tourney

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who last week said he’d like to sign an additional two or three players in the Class of 2013, is also recruiting for future classes during this current spring evaluation period.

Zagsblog.net reports that Self on Sunday was in Los Angeles watching Rashad Vaughn, a 6-foot-5 junior from Cooper High in New Hope, Minn.

Vaughn, who is the No. 6-rated player in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com, scored 31 points off 13-for-20 shooting with seven assists and five rebounds in a Nike EYBL contest witnessed by Self, North Carolina’s Roy Williams, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg, Baylor’s Scott Drew and many other head coaches.

“I don’t really pay attention to them, but it’s good to see all of them there,” Vaughn told Zagsblog.net.

“I don’t really have a deadline, but I’m still working on it,” he added of cutting down his massive list of schools. “Everybody’s showing love, really.”

Victor hits the glass: No. 24-rated Craig Victor, a 6-8 junior power forward from St. Augustine High in New Orleans, tells Rivals.com that he’s being recruited by KU, Arizona, LSU, Oklahoma State, Kentucky, Miami and others. He competed in an adidas tourney in Duncanville, Texas, last weekend.

“Sometimes seen as a bit of a cruiser in the past, Victor put in serious work on the glass Saturday,” wrote Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “He attacked the rim and got to the free-throw line in his first game and started hitting jumpers in his second.”

Mission on tap: Payton Dastrup, a 6-9 junior center from Mountain View High in Mesa, Ariz., tells Rivals.com he will take a Mormon mission and will not play college ball until 2016. He has a list of KU, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Florida, BYU, Virginia, Texas A&M and others.

“I’ll sign everything, but I’ll defer my scholarship for two years,” the No. 52-ranked Dastrup told Rivals.com at the EYBL Los Angeles tournament.

KU in top 10: Justise Winslow, a 6-5 junior small forward from St. John’s High in Houston, who is ranked No. 10 in the Class of 2014, has a list of 10 schools: KU, Baylor, Arizona, Duke, Florida, Houston, North Carolina, Texas A&M, Stanford and UCLA. Winslow, who averaged 29 points and 15 rebounds a game his junior season, made unofficial visits to KU, Duke and Arizona last winter.

McLaughlin likes KU: Jordan McLaughlin, a 5-11 junior point guard from Etiwanda (Calif.) High, who is ranked No. 33 in the Class of 2014, revealed a top seven to Rivals.com at the Los Angeles tournament: KU, USC, UCLA, San Diego State, UConn, Indiana and Gonzaga.

Upcoming visits: Tyus Jones, a 6-1 junior point guard from Apple Valley (Minn.) High, told Rivals.com in L.A. that he had in-home visits with Duke, Baylor, Ohio State and Michigan State last week, with KU coaches to enter his home Tuesday. He’s ranked No. 3 in the Class of 2014. Today, KU coach Self will visit Jahlil Okafor, 6-10 junior from Whitney Young High in Chicago and the No. 1-rated player in the Class of ’14.

Diamond eyes KU: Diamond Stone, a 6-10 sophomore from Dominican High in Milwaukee who has KU on his list, played on the Young Legends team that fell to KC Run GMC in Sunday’s 16-and-under title game of the NY2LA tourney in Minnesota. He’s ranked No. 4 in the Class of 2015. Jimmy Whitt, a 6-foot point guard from Columbia Hickman, had 15 points for KC. Another Run GMC standout is Kevin Puryear, a 6-7 sophomore from Blue Springs South High. Rivals.com’s Robin Washut says Puryear, “currently holds offers from Creighton and Miami (Ohio), but has been getting heavy interest from schools like Missouri (which he unofficially visited in January), Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Marquette, Wichita State and Arkansas.”

Wesley lives in Dooley country: Former KU phenom Walt Wesley likely will be one of the distinguished guests in attendance today when former KU assistant coach Joe Dooley is introduced as head coach at Florida Gulf Coast University. Wesley lives in Fort Myers, Fla., where FGCU is located.

Wesley, 68, told the Fort Myers News-Press that the university made the right call in hiring Dooley to replace Andy Enfield, who has departed for University of Southern California.

“It’s going to help (FGCU) continue to expand its horizons and keep its name out there,” Wesley told the paper. “They’re picking up a coach from an illustrious program with a winning tradition. It’s going to get them in recruiting circles in high schools all across the country. Coach Dooley has those connections.”

Wesley, who served as executive director of Fort Myers Police Athletic League from 1996 until 2011, told the News-Press he’s met Dooley but the two have not had “any extended conversations.”

“It’s wonderful; we have a great time every time we go back,” he said of attending KU games. “Coach Self always takes care of us. We get great seats. We even get to meet the players. We still have a lot of ties with people in the city of Lawrence itself. It’s a special place. It never gets away from you.”

Wesley told the paper he plans to attend more FGCU games with Dooley on board.

“I think I will. It’s definitely going to be interesting,” he said.

Comments

Dirk Medema 1 year, 5 months ago

And where are all the football coaches? The entire spring schedule was adjusted in order for the coaches to be out recruiting now.

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

Relax, dag ~ they're out there ~ they just forgot they were supposed to check in with you.

Mike Nicco 1 year, 5 months ago

Really!! So, he could have phrased it nicer. No reason to be a smack jack with a tired response. At least come up with something new and original.

On a serious note, it would be nice to hear about the football players our coaches are recruiting. If it's not possible, could someone at the LJW explain why? Thanks.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I didn't read one additional word after I saw the name " Diamond Stone ". We MUST have this guy.

jhawkminer 1 year, 5 months ago

He still needs some polishing.

RJ King 1 year, 5 months ago

If you like what you see, put a NC ring on it.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

From what I heard he's a Chicago-area bound to go to Duke guy. :)

If we get a committment from Rabb or S. Zimmerman for Class of '15, get excited!

chriz 1 year, 5 months ago

Reading this article gave me a new appreciation of the work these coaches do on the recruiting trail. Too bad I was never good enough to have an in home visit with Self! (I guess you probably have to at least make your high school team to have a chance, so there ya go.)

Boouk 1 year, 5 months ago

If we land both Okafor and Jones (unlikely, but possible), who have said before that they'd like to attend the same school, we could have a the best team Self's ever had at KU in the 2014-15 season with Tharpe, Jones, Selden, Okafor and Embiid starting and Frankamp, Greene, White, and Ellis coming off the bench.

JayDocMD 1 year, 5 months ago

I understand how good Okafor is, but no way I see Ellis coming off the bench as a JR - more likely Embiid would be 6th man with Okafor starting at the 5. Either way, it would be a nice problem to have.

Boouk 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, that's better than UK.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

They're VERY unlikely to go to Kentucky, but I think they're probably even LESS likely to end up at Kansas. Everything seems to suggest that Duke's EASILY the favorite and the the only other two schools with even a chance are Michigan State & Ohio State.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 5 months ago

It's always comforting to know we are in the future mix for numerous HS stars, Takes a lot of time, effort and mental toughness by our coaches, and they deserve so much credit for our continued success. CS and company always seem to get their share, and make the most out of every season (aside of a few slip-ups.)

Also, I am glad to see this article the same day I hear Wiggins canceled his in-homes, and all the buzz is him and UK. Ugh.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

“I’ll sign everything, but I’ll defer my scholarship for two years,”

I'm not sure what that means. Anybody else?

dnvrhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

He'll serve a two year mission for the Mormon church, then play ball after that time.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Hmmm, this is the first time I'd seen our name with Victor's.

On a Gonzaga site they'd quoted McLaughlin as saying that USC, UCLA, San Diego State & Gonzaga have been "the hardest on him".

Of all of the recruits listed above I have zero of them going to KU.

Hoping for Josh Perkins and the kid from Brooklyn, Isiah Whiteside.

If we get another post I'd like to see it go to the 7'-1 kid from Georgia, Trayvon Reed.

Looking further ahead, I like our chances w/ one of the top kids in the class of '15 in S. Zimmerman.....Sounds like a bit more polished offensive Withey.

For some reason I've got a weird feeling that R. Vaughn's going to be a Tar Heel. I don't know why....just a feeling.

Of those discussed above the ONE or TWO I could see us MAYBE end up getting would be McLaughlin and/or Winslow.....and I dont' think that would've been the case had their not been the state of flux at UCLA right now.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Self's been hard after Jones & now FINALLY getting in on J. Okafor.

Think there might actually be a shot?

Everyone's said Duke, BUT most think that Q. Cook won't be a 2AD and yet most Dukies think there's no way he gets benched either. That could spell problems. Having said that, Tharpe would have to sit for Jones to start here too so..... I could see Naadir after having worked so hard to get that starting position for this coming season secede to a 6th man position though....good team player that he is.

Having said that....chances are far better that we don't land the top 2 recruits for next season and should recruit a top say 25-50 recruit to take over AFTER Naadir's time is done and be his "underling"...That's why I keep screaming from the rooftops for Josh Perkins.

Jo. Perkins (ESPN.com's No. 41), 6'-2, SG out of Denver, CO; I. Whiteside (ESPN.com's No. 46) 6'-4, SG out of Brooklyn, NY & Tr. Reed (ESPN.com's No. 42), 6'-10 - 7'-1 (depending), C out of Snellville, GA [haven't actually seen us linked to him yet] would make for a VERY GOOD class next season with more likely '15 production but likely some for '14 too.

Ideally, we could land No. 7 or 8 big-man K. Looney or Cl. Alexander (I think we might actually have a better chance of getting Looney).....Looney, physique & game-wise - heck, even looks-wise, reminds one a TON of Durant.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

The 2 biggest needs in the 2014 class are a 6'2"-6'4" guard in case Selden ends up being a OAD and a post player that can come off the bench to back up Ellis and Embiid. The 2014 class for KU is going to be more focused on role players to fill in the gaps because the last 2 classes are the foundation classes for title runs in 2015 and 2016. I'm not saying that KU can't make a run next year, but it would be an unexpected surprise like the 2012 Final Four run was.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Just saw that Trevor Lacey's going to transfer from Alabama.

That could be that 6'-2 to 6'-4 G that would start in '15/16 at the "2" if Selden were to be an "OAD". Better yet an experienced guard at that who as far as I could make of it, sounded like when he made his original choice he was down to us & 'bama & chose 'bama.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

Yup..I wonder if Self is still interested. He chose the Tide over the Jayhawks and UK.

Doubt UK is interested but who knows..

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, could see him not want to take that chance that Selden would come back for at least a 2nd season and go somewhere where there's currently a Sr. SG w/ no yet defined back-up (again only at a major "contending" BCS conf. type school....couldn't tell you who that might be).