Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Jayhawks hope to add depth as spring signings start

Kansas recruit Andrew Wiggins watches from behind the bench during the second half, Monday, March 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s five-man recruiting Class of 2013 could grow in the next few weeks.

“If we could get a couple more if they are the right couple, then I think we’d be interested in doing that,” KU coach Bill Self said heading into the spring signing period, which runs today through May 15.

“We’re involved with some guys. I don’t know if it’s a situation where it will probably benefit us if we are able to sign a couple more from a depth standpoint. I’m really happy with the guys we have coming in.”

The Jayhawks, who have signed No. 12-ranked Wayne Selden, No. 25 Joel Embiid, No 29 Brannen Greene, No. 34 Conner Frankamp and No. 76 Frank Mason, are one of four finalists for No. 1-rated Andrew Wiggins.

The 6-foot-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, has not said when he’ll choose between KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. Rivals.com reports that he will visit with UNC’s Roy Williams next Monday, KU’s Self on Tuesday and Florida State’s Leonard Hamilton on Wednesday.

“Like everybody else, each school is in love with his athleticism, quickness, ability to finish in transition, defensive ability and knack for making spectacular plays,” wrote Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.

KU has three scholarships left to give in the Class of 2013.

Dooley on FGCU list

KU assistant coach Joe Dooley is a candidate for the head coaching post at Florida Gulf Coast, ESPN.com reports. Other candidates: Ohio State assistant Chris Jent, Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson and Gulf Coast assistant Marty Richter. The Fort Myers News Press on Monday said that Wichita State associate head coach Chris Jans and Florida State assistant Corey Williams were also in the running.

Jones update

Tyus Jones, a 6-1 junior point guard from Apple Valley (Minn.) High, tells USA Today he will have an in-home visit with KU’s Self either Monday or Wednesday. He has a final list of KU, Duke, Michigan State, Minnesota, Baylor, Kentucky and Ohio State.

Smart decision?

Twitter erupted on Tuesday night when Yahoo Sports reported that Marcus Smart had decided to return to OSU for a sophomore season. He’s scheduled a news conference today to announce his future plans.

“Marcus Smart did the right thing if in his heart college is where he wants to be- all critics forget it as it is his CHOICE! Give kid kudos,” tweeted Dick Vitale.

“Overwhelming initial response of NBA executives on Marcus Smart’s decision to bypass top 5 status in draft to stay in school: Shock,” tweeted Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

“Glad we get to see Marcus Smart for another year, but I hate to see a kid bypass guaranteed millions like this,” tweeted ESPN’s Jason King.

Comments

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

Hope we get Wiggins, but either way a lineup of Tharpe, Selden, White,Ellis and Lucas to start the year will be good. With Greene,Traylor, and Embiid coming of the bench and eventually Embiid will start. Love the jump in rankings by Mason. Will interesting to see who gets more PT, him or Frankamp.

Also love the decision by Smart. Winning the league got a lot harder, but kids need to stay in school. To many kids leave early and are out of the league in three years. If the NBA would start running offensive sets again, then both college and pro ball would be better. Smart might have lost some money, but sometimes we have to remember it isn't all about money.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah the guy is gonna make millions anyways when he does go pro. Coming back to Okie state means the conference title is going to be that much harder to get for KU. It'll be very interesting. I didn't like playing against him but neither did I like playing against Beasley or Durant and KU still got the titles. Of course, not myself I mean. I cant play!

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

yeah yeah, we know. You expended your eligibility years ago. But if you COULD play!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I can't play either, but man can I coach! We wouldn't have lost a game in the last 40 years if they'd listen to the plays I call from my couch.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't see why everyone doesn't give this a thumbs up.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

If we could give thumbs down you'd have an equal number of thumbs down.

PVJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Nuleafjhawk is known to be one of the greatest couch coaches in basketball history and I have to concede that he may be even better than me!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

lol - I think any of us could have made that same statement. We are GOOD.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

maybe we need to get Bill Self a couch on the sideline.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

So tell us mr nuleaf, what would you have done against Michigan two weeks ago? :)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Yikes. I'd REALLY like to answer your question seriously, but at this point it would just sound like sour grapes! But I do know this, in the replay in my head, EJ makes a crucial free throw or someone (anyone) fouls Burke with 4.2 seconds to go and we're up 3.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

I probably would have called the "Make the front end of a 1-1" play too.

Mel Clare 2 years, 4 months ago

You are fogetting Mason and Frankamp...........I think you are dead on on your starters, Self is really excited about Lucas this year, says he is going to be a "load" for opposing teams. Embid will be another Withey, not much offense early on but good "D". Mason will challenge for the PG spot or at least good minutes, he is a Sherron Collns type clone, stocky and quick! Frankamp and Greene will provide offense off the bench, Traylor the toughness. This will be a much deeper team, YOUNGER but deeper IMO.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm hesitant of Frankamp because of how little White played. To me it's who ever beats out eachother, between Mason and Frankamp.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

The one benefit I see for Smart is that he'll likely be drafted lower - maybe chances of going to a better team?

dylans 2 years, 4 months ago

Develop by starting in the NCAA or try and develop in the NBA. Be the man for one more year or just another face. Maybe Smart can improve his game and get a massive 2nd contract. The 2nd contract is where the big money is (not that 7 million is something to scoff at).

hawk316 2 years, 4 months ago

I suspect that Frankamp's ability to score will get him on the court for some significant minutes. He may be an "instant offense" kind of player.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 4 months ago

"Eventually" Embiid will start? He played against better players in NY than he'll see in many games next season, and he played well. If he doesn't start, that means that our kids ahead of him have vastly improved. Would be great.

Steve Corder 2 years, 4 months ago

Nothing really new here. Perfect photo from which to create great cartoon one-liners from mother Wiggins. If Bill lands the kid he'll have to offer more than UK....like a team that will average 88 points per game.

Bookmark: 2018-19 NBA contract values of Smart and McLemore, assuming they'll both be in the league.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I've got a couple of captions in mind, but I think I'll wait and see what Wiggins does before I "say" them.

741hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I PREDICT Wiggins will wait until AFTER the signing period to announce. Just to call additional attention to himself. He'll call a coach and say, "I know ya held a scholy for me. Hang on to it 'cause I'll be there later this summer."

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm recalling 4/22 being mentioned as the date Wiggins said he would announce.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 4 months ago

Okie Lite will be a lot tougher with most of their starting five returning...

Michael Sillman 2 years, 4 months ago

If true, the decision by Smart is pretty shocking. If there is a guard who is NBA-ready in this class, he's the one.

For once, I guess that I agree with Vitale. If he really wants to experience more college, the NBA will always be there.

Hawk90 is right. With Smart back in Stillwater, Self will really have to coach up a storm to replace the starting five and get that 10th straight league title.

Phil Leister 2 years, 4 months ago

I admire the decision my Smart, but it's a questionable move. Next year's draft class is deep, deep, deeeeep. Even if he's just as good next year as he was this year, there are already 5-8 guys who will be draft eligible that will get taken a love him.

That being said, Smart will be big man on campus and big man in the Big 12 next year.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

What if smart stays 3 years And tries to get his degree early? Or maybe won't leave until be gets a title in college.

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

Let the kid have fun being a kid. Enjoy the college experience Marcus Smart.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

and enjoy the Marcus Smart experience, OSU.

doolindalton 2 years, 4 months ago

Wiggins represents potential depth? And the sun is a backup source for light? Smart made the right decision. He isn't a complete ballplayer, not ready for the NBA, and you only get to be a college kid once in life. His parents are apparently not in the same shape financially as Ben McLemore's, so why not enjoy being a kid for awhile longer? Good for him.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Wigs visiting 3/4 coaches left on his list is noteworthy.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 4 months ago

Does it mean Wiggins is a UK lean and the other coaches get one last shot to convince him otherwise???

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

I was thinking that the meetings were calls to advise he is going to UK. His parents being the professionals that they are, I would think that are asking their son to make phone calls out of respect for the time the coaches have put in.

Brak 2 years, 4 months ago

They are in home visits Blown, I hope you aren't insinuating that he or his parents would have these coaches fly all they way out there wasting a whole day just to tell them he isn't going to their school, if that happened that would be the most classless move by any recruit ever.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Nope--didn't catch that they were in-home visits.

Joe Joseph 2 years, 4 months ago

Are they in-home visits? The article does not specify...

Eric Dawson 2 years, 4 months ago

Phone calls, yes.

Having coaches spend valuable time & money flying to sit in your living room so you can tell them to their face they lost? Not if you and your folks have any sense and respect at all for those people and the universities they represent.

archercc 2 years, 4 months ago

That is what I am thinking. These are the "thanks for your interest" meetings.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 4 months ago

A coach would not waste time going all the way to WV just to be advised that he is going somewhere else; you do that over the phone.
I am guessing that with al the superstars and corresponding egos, playing and limelight time will be at a premium at UK, and he wants to be the center of attention. This could be good and bad for the team getting him; they would get an exceptional player but maybe a team chemistry killer. I don't know Wiggins personally so I have no basis for these statements, other than his comments and the circus like atmosphere surrounding his recruitment.

otaKU 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe he visited with Calipari two weeks ago so it is not that significant.

No, it's not.

Means he's already had PLENTY of face-time w/ Cal since they were out early in the NIT. Probably saved FSU for last as he already knows them well.

I'm thinking that right now he's leaning toward Kentucky and that's why he doesn't have another mtg. lined up w/ Calipari.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 4 months ago

Aren't HCs limited to one in-home visit? Squid was there already.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

I knew that line would get us all worked up into a lather. What is the meaning of this visiting 3 of the 4 coaches? Deep deep stuff to discuss.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 4 months ago

Who else are we targeting for depth? Any transfers? We need the dirt kusports.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

“We’re involved with some guys. I don’t know if it’s a situation where it will probably benefit us if we are able to sign a couple more from a depth standpoint. "

He is not looking for depth. He is looking for a starter. That is how I interpret that statement. He is saying it probably won't benefit them to sign guys for depth at this point.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Still think it was a mistake to not jump in on that Desmond Lee (ended up shortly after Bill's announcement cdmmitting to N.C. State).

Brak 2 years, 4 months ago

I know we are also targeting Tarik Black, the transfer out of Memphis, but I know alot of big time programs are going after him too. While he would only have 1 year he would get to play immediately and he would be huge to shore up our big man rotation.

jay381 2 years, 4 months ago

This is one ego inflated, trouble making, hard to coach individual that thinks he has an entitlement to anything he wants. I really hope KU does NOT sign this character. He has been nothing but a sports page highlight of problems, under achievement, walking out of a practice in a childish fit etc. Unfortunately I live in Memphis and this is not a team player, not a coach-able player, and his statistics have gone down every year he has been in Memphis. We can do one heck of a lot better than this clown or else put the scholarship in the pocket to use next year. Being a contributor at KU involves a lot more than the ability to jump and dunk a ball.

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

There is no question Kansas would be the smartest move for Wiggins. Unlike FSU, he would have a solid young roster around him, to ease some of the defensive attention he'll be getting. UNC will have a lot of talent coming back. While he's way too good to get lost in the shuffle there, it will be more difficult to be the star when sharing the ball with a lot of upper classmen. UK...that would be crazy of him. That team is loaded with egos and there is only one ball to go around. If he wants to maximize his one year of college ball, be a first team all American and perhaps even college player of the year, the school most likely to offer him that opportunity would clearly be Kansas.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't mean to be a jerk here, but how do you know what the smartest move for him is? I know you analyzed why you think that, but if you can confidently state "there is no question" then he already would have signed with us a long time ago.

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

Socially Kansas may or may not be the best fit for him. That's for him to decide. But if you look at the 4 teams objectively, and where he can likely make the most impact, and still likely play on a highly successful team, I don't see how there is any question that KU offers him the best opportunity of the 4 remaining schools. In another year that may not be the case, but we will not have an experienced team next year, but we will have a talented young team. He is the last piece to the puzzle, and he would be the unquestioned star. He'll play right away wherever he goes. That's not in question. But does anyone really believe there are enough basketballs to go around at Kentucky next year? Or UNC for that matter? FSU, he would be the unquestioned star, but an 18 yo kid getting double and triple teamed by grown men, because he doesn't have a lot of talent around him...that's not going to be much fun or very conducive to good statistics.

All of that said, I think there is next to zero chance we land him, and that's the unfortunate part, because we are the best fit for him from a pure basketball standpoint.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

That's a great article JHFT, but it still doesn't convince me that we know what's best for an 18 year old kid we've never met.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

Smart wants a Big 12 championship. Smart wants a shot a NPOY. Smart wants a shot at a national title. Smart? He will get all the preseason hype he can handle. He will have the highest expectations of any player in college next year. Will he shoot a better field goal percentage? Will he turn the all over less? If he does those two things and doesn't get hurt, then his decision was smart. If he shoots a similar field goal percentage and turns the ball over 3+ times a game he could take a pretty hard dip in the draft.

April13 2 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Smart, let me introduce you to my little friend: Wayne Selden. He'll be guarding you today, so you can forget posting up or out-muscling a smaller guard.

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 4 months ago

He was a pretty weak outside shooter this year, so I'd expect he puts in a lot of time there in the offseason but I don't know how much that will improve. He likely will be the same defensive presence (checking and bumping ball handlers to get steals), and have similar assist numbers. Other than that, I see this move to stick around as hurting his draft stock as NBA execs get another year to pick apart his game and see how little he has progressed in two years of college. Another thing to keep in mind is that this is another year of his physical ball that will likely take a toll on his body (lots of drives and falls on layups).

I'm surprised that Ford would let him stick around seeing the draft landscape for this year and next and try to get him to take the guaranteed money now rather than risk falling very far next spring. We all wish Ben would have stayed a second year, but we also knew that absent his family situation, he needed to go because of where he is projected in the draft.

Steven Mathew 2 years, 4 months ago

Smart's draft stock will fall probably on the basis that next year's draft class is better than this year's.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Question: It probably won't happen, but what if his stock DID drop some but OSU won a National Championship? Would that have made it worth it to him?

Jabez Harlan 2 years, 4 months ago

Will he do another backflip on the Jayhawk logo?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

Last week, it was Self saying that he was looking for "immediate impact" in the late signing period. Now it's "depth." That probably sums up how things have gone with the folks we were interested in.

So, who will be the next Merv Lindsay or Milton Doyle?

Mel Clare 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe Merv will be starting for New Mexico next season. Have not heard anything about Doyle though.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

I read that different from you.

He said "I don't know if it will probably benefit us if we are able to sign a couple more from a depth standpoint."

My take is that he's not just looking to just add depth. He's only looking for guys that will make an impact.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

plastic - You know, I think you're right there. After re-reading the quote, he's basically saying that he "doesn't know" if signing just for depth would be of any benefit. Perhaps my reading initially was influenced by the headline. But I think I'd have to agree with you on that. Thanks. I like that interpretation much better.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 4 months ago

Per Adam Finkelstein's twitter, KU will be in Dallas this weekend recruiting Kaleb Joseph.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

rated lower than Perkins. Hopefully, doesn't mean Perkins is more strongly considering 'zona or Colorado or something.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know what to make of the Wiggins decision. There's definitely a big part of me that has written him off already believing that he just won't choose Kansas. The skeptic in me says that UK gets whoever they want in recruiting and he is no exception. Then the comment that he is visiting with Coaches Williams, Self, and Hamilton this week. Why? To tell them that he's going to Kentucky? Not likely, but I wouldn't exactly count it out. No, the rational mind that I have is trying to get my heart to believe that it's because the decision is between those three schools. If the decision is between those three schools then the decision is still a tough one. Play under the bright lights of the Dean dome and rub shoulders with the likes to Michael Jordan at UNC, follow his heritage and be the crown jewel and only hope of the FSU fan base, or go to Kansas and be a part of a system that has proven time and time again to grind out lots of wins, high rankings and #1 seeds.

My inner KU fan says that if he weren't really seriously considering KU then he would have dumped us from his list long ago. My inner KU fan says that if this kid wants to win then recent history clear that KU gives him a better shot than UNC and FSU. The college basketball fan in me wants me to believe that this is between KU and UNC and that KU being 3-0 against UNC in the Self era is significant. But is KU due for a down year? Is UNC priming for a good campaign? It's a tough call.

He's probably Kentucky bound.

DocBean 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree, I think he's going to Kentucky, his comments about how "we would be unstoppable" makes me think he already considers himself a Wildcat. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that he'll go to a Nike school, and his handlers have him looking at KU so he has an adidas school on his list. I hope I'm wrong, but when we lost Randle, I pretty much gave up on getting any elite recruits this year.

dylans 2 years, 4 months ago

Selden is no slouch. Greene was top 15 on ESPN when Bill signed him. Frankamp won the 3pt contest. Everyone wanted Embiid when his talent came to light. Mason's stock recently jumped 60 spots. Don't downgrade these guys just because KU's got them. If your view of elite is just the top 5, the KU won't sign many if any "elite" recruits in any given decade.

dylans 2 years, 4 months ago

Selby and X are the only top 5 recruits I can remember in the last twenty years of KU basketball.

joeloveshawks 2 years, 4 months ago

I have been following college ball my entire life and as a KU fan I have always been biased thinking that we offer as much as any school to great recruits. Inventor of the game, AFH, tons of Final 4's, et cetera. I keep trying to think of what UK is offering these last few years. Is it all Coach Cal? I know they have a rich tradition if not the best but the last few recruiting classes have been silly. What do they give kids no one else can?

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

10x the media exposure, and you get to be cronies with Rap Mogul Jay Z, among others. And Cal is less concerned with academics. ( I am saying that based off memory and not fact). I also believe the coaching styles come into play. Kentucky has pretty good tradition too.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget their luxurious accommodations for scholarship bball players too.

archercc 2 years, 4 months ago

The problem is you value those things as a fan of the game, not as someone using it as a stepping stone to a professional career.

Being an ADIDAS school hurts because Nike sponsors everything. So heavily involved in AAU, etc. So you are working with people who work with Nike the whole way. Switching to an ADIDAS school is tough when you have people steering you to a Nike school.

Also, Kentucky's athlete living facilities are top notch. Thye got hit on it a while back because you arent allowed to have "jock only" living but they fixed that by basically allowing a few other scholarship people in. But if you see it its obvious its a bball only dorm. Even renovated Jayhawker towers cant compete. So, for your year in college do you want to stay in a dorm from 30 years ago or a brand new facility built to cater to you?

And then there is the style of play. Self has been consistent because he plays a type of team ball that helps shut down stars and survive bad nights. Team defense, ball movement and inside-out game to wear down opposing defenses. That isn't the best place to showcase individual skills. Calapari plays an NBA offense that works better with top-tier talent but, as you can see this year, collapses without it. Sure, you run the risk of getting bounced in the NIT by GMU but if you believe you are the next Jordan then Cal's setup is a better fit for making you look like the next Jordan.

Tony Bushard 2 years, 4 months ago

Your points are well-taken, archercc, and yet, while it may be the "exception that proves the rule," it's noteworthy that Louisville is not only an adidas school that had a great year in the two major sports, but did it as an adidas school in Kentucky.

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

NBA scouts, when off the record, are pretty consistent in saying Slick Cal's guys don't come in prepared to play in the NBA. That's the frustrating part. The perception and the reality are two different things.

He starts with more talented guys who get drafted higher because of that talent, but the kids perceive he's developing those guys and improving their stock. He's got a heck of a racquet going.

Hawk8086 2 years, 4 months ago

I respect Smart's decision to return to OSU. It is his life and his decision. Yes, there are things that he can improve upon, but he is taking a risk considering how high he is projected to be picked this year and how strong next year's draft is projected to be. I have to believe that OSU is now the favorite to win the Big 12 next year. But, that hasn't stopped us before...........

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

.. I don’t know if it’s a situation where it will [probably] benefit us if we are able to sign a couple more from a depth standpoint....

He doubts signing people for depth will probably benefit him.

He has confused the hell out of some of you with his word choice.

Take out the word probably and it will clean it up.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 4 months ago

Mason #76? That's a big jump. Is this a case where the rating jumped because someone who knows basketball (Self) wants him, or did Self see something the armchair ratings guys didn't when he first signed him?

Brak 2 years, 4 months ago

Both his and Embiid's ranking jumps are pretty remarkable if you remember when we first signed Embiid I believe he was unranked but he's been really impressing a lot of people lately. I think a lot of it is HCBS saw something in a low ranked recruit that made him think he was better because usually for KU's sake the opposite happens and our recruits drop in ranking once they sign with KU.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Regarding Embiid there were at least 3 other "name" schools that had legitimate interest....it wasn't like with Mason where we were competing against the likes of Virginia Tech, Clemson, etc.

With Embiid we were going up against Florida, Texas & Marquette.

otaKU 2 years, 4 months ago

So, Maryland isn't a "name" school (recruited Mason), but Marquette is (recruited Embiid)?

DocBean 2 years, 4 months ago

We saw this with Roy Williams when he was here too, once KU signed a guy they would take a big jump in the rankings. I'm actually surprised that Self's recruits haven't gotten the same jump until now, considering with the exception of Selby, they've all left KU more highly regarded then they did coming in.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

There have been ratings changes since he announced/signed with KU, so the notion of his change being because of us isn't realistic. It also doesn't work with Conner falling, though it is also worth noting that Conner and Brannen improved their rankings last time Rivals adjust the rankings.

Hawk8086 2 years, 4 months ago

Calipari, as distasteful as it is to us, has been successful at convincing recruits that his system allows top recruits to showcase their talents and compete for a National Championship for one year and then proceed to the League. The championship last year backed that assertion up. Last year he made a point of saying he needed to be at the draft to support his multiple first round draft picks. Like it or not, he has adopted a business model that thrives in the one and done era. The downfall of such a strategy materialized this year. I doubt that will be the case next year. I would not like to be an alum of a school that turns the roster over, for the most part, every year.

akgjenkintown 2 years, 4 months ago

KU truly needs depth to make practices more competitive. Players get better going against strong competition day in and day out during practice. Hopefully Self will get some solid players who are willing to assume a role their first couple of years as practice players and who will get a shot for important playing time in their Sophomore and more likely Junior seasons. Apparently, Rio who has great talent could not accept that role last year. You have to appreciate the efforts of Roberts, Self, Manning, Garrett, etc who are practice players, but improving the talent further on the bench will only make the 7 to 8 player rotation that much better. It would be great if KU had the depth of a UNC for example (Roy frequently would put in team B when the starters stuggled). Adding Wiggins would clearly upgrade the level of competition; however, his signing seems like a long shot. But one can only hope, because OSU currently has the upper hand to win the Big XII with Smart returning.

milehighhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm a little concerned with this board's reading comprehension this morning regarding Self's quote.

April13 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I feel that we just went the long way home.

At the guard spot, we've got Frankamp, Mason, Selden, Naadir and White (with White and Selden being possible flex-guys). At forward, we've got Perry, Jamari and Greene, plus Wesley. At center we've got Embiid and Lucas.

For those of you looking for practice intensity, you've got it. I think that Self is looking at his lineup and thinking that he doesn't need another guy to compete for a back-up spot.

I could see him looking ahead by picking up a transfer for next year, if there is a quality one out there. Maybe an international player? Especially a big with good hands or shooting touch.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I would consider White more of a F & Greene more of a G. The little I've heard about Greene is that he's a MUCH better ballhandler than White. White meanwhile CAN rebound pretty good for a wing player & I think there were small segments of time where Bill even had him play a little "4".

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Enes Kanter, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, and Derrick Rose. All are top 5 Draft picks under Coach Cal. That is what influences young kids. That is what is hard for other coaches to compete against.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

What drives me bat-$h*^ crazy about these types of statements is that they were Top 5 picks before Cal got them.

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

Blown, as much as I don't care for UK, it's the truth. Why does the truth drive you crazy? We are still the better basketball program. Of course these kids were Top 5, that's why Cal targeted them, and landed them. Being top 5 in high school does not mean top 5 in College. Look at Selby. I prefer the way Coach Self does it. We all know that eventually, the UK run on top 5 players will come to an end. I, for one, would never want the kind of season that the Kentucky Wildcats had last year, with all of their great recruits.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Comet, not to get too feisty with you, because I enjoy your posts. But my point is this: Every one of those kids are a top 5 pick regardless of which school they play at for a year. Your statement alludes to the fact that Cal gets them that draft status. No--if there were no one and done rule, all of those guys you mentioned would have been top 5 picks out of high school.

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

I enjoy your posts as well, thanks. I can agree with you for the most part, however, in that one year of playing College Ball, it is possible for their stock to drop. Josh Selby was a top rated guard, and his stock dropped all the way to the 2nd round. Had Selby not played a game of College Ball, he more than likely would have been a lottery pick. I do understand what you say, but I am sure that Cal, is taking credit for their success. I think we are in agreement, but we just say it a little bit differently.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 4 months ago

Thats easy to answer Blown - they don't want to play in Self's motion hi-low offense.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't think that any of KansasComet's list above are "penniless & distraught after a few years"!!!

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 4 months ago

Amazing article. I like the idea he showered his mother with gifts, but the other 50? I hope BMac reads this.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 4 months ago

Espn insider. the top ten impact Freshmen for next year.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

I've always been afraid of legal issues of posting info from insider on another page...because one has to pay to be an insider.

April13 2 years, 4 months ago

It seems that Connor can get love about everywhere except in Jayhawk nation. This guy is going to help us a ton next year and we will need his scoring to keep up with ISU's offense.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

All Conner will do next year is hit SOME 3's.

I say give it time before asking for much more.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 4 months ago

Best post on the board today. I'd give you +10 for the info. I'm going there later.

Brak 2 years, 4 months ago

I heard from a coworker that is friends with Marcus Smart's cousin's baby mama and according to him Marcus Smart said the only reason he is coming back because he wants to do a double backflip off the rim at Allen Fieldhouse.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of players getting better going against strong competition, if the Marcus Smart decision is true, Okie State becomes a major player in the Big 12 next season, a huge hurdle for the Jayhawks en route to a league title. The Wiggins recruitment looms even bigger for KU, with this Cowboys announcement.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't worry REH, Travis Ford will get in the way :)

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 4 months ago

I am all for Wiggins, but would have some worries: him coming to KU could cause White or Greene to transfer, chemistry with the O&D players and the effect on the rest of the team, and stunting the growth of some of our other freshmen.

But then there is the plus side - great player in a Jayhawk uniform if only for a year and the practice intensity could be helpful for years to come.

I guess im still skeptical.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

cause White or Greene to transfer?

Um, they're not looking to be 2AD (in White's case) or OAD in Greene's case.

I seriously doubt that it would frustrate or deter them AND at least one of them would still be able to get PLENTY of mins. - ESPECIALLY with any potential foul troubles.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 4 months ago

If Wiggins comes one of the two will play about 8 mins a game until Bill cuts the rotation down (late December-ish) then that player will only be playing the last 2 mins of games we are winning by 20+ points. I think that COULD cause a transfer, similar to Rio's reasons for wanting to leave.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

M.Smart as is right now would MOST LIKELY go 2nd or 3rd only after Noel and/or McLemore.

In next year's draft - GUARANTEE that A. Wiggins, An. Harrison & Ju. Randle go ahead of him AT LEAST. Potentially, if J. Parker were to go OAD (seemed to say he wanted to go 2AD) & say C. Walker....pretty much a LOCK that he'd go no higher than say 6th.

Throw in the injury factor and I'm really surprised.

HAVING SAID THAT, unless KU lands Wiggins, OSU SHOULD be the prohibitive favorite to win the conference next year at least.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep...next year's draft is supposed to be loaded. From a money standpoint, no time is better than now for Mr. Smart.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 4 months ago

It's obvious the new focus on flopping in the NBA was the reason Smart returned to school. Since flopping is 90% of his game he needs to work on other skills.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

I recommend that the LJW sports editor put a thumbs down on these comments as well so I can comment tersely on ahpersecoachingexperience's derogatory postings. It's about all he does.

Bville Hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

There is a lot of truth in ahperse' comment. Don't be so quick to judge.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

The worst case of that was in their game against K-State in the Big XII tournament.

What made me maddest about him when we faced him were the number of OFFENSIVE fouls he committed driving the lane that were called defensive fouls (i.e., pushing off with the ball or his non-dribble arm, etc).

JakeBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

Trey Burke had a better year than either Noel or McLemore, but the NBA is weird when it comes to drafting players.

If Smart returns OSU ought to win the conference and go far in the NCAA playoffs.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

Dear Purist. Check the term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoffs. Also the man who gave you the finger, er, ah, thumb.

Glen Miller 2 years, 4 months ago

It's like any other college sport. Sometimes the best college player isn't the best pro prospect. In this case, Noel and McLemore have a higher ceiling and possible star status than Burke. Tim Tebow won the Heisman and what has he done in the NFL? It's not as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

I have to give it to Smart on possibly coming back. However where McLemore would have kept his draft slot at the same spot while developing key intangibles in his game, Smart's draft status will drop out of the lottery. That's how many great players are coming out next year. As great as his skills are in college at driving, in the NBA those drives will be blocked often. He really did just lose millions and millions of dollars but I applaud him. McLemore would have made more in the long run by staying because of his NBA shooter's skill set that could have been taken to the next level by hours of isolated work at KU. Thumbs up to Smart for being a kid. He'll still make a lot in his lifetime if he invests wisely.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

FACTOIDS THAT ACTUALLY HAVE NO PROOF OF BEING FACT:

1] Is Marcus Smart or is Marcus Dumb? Watch that replay of #5 from Louisville and maybe revisit your decision.

2] Actually, if Keith L. is kind, Coach Self has FOUR scholarships in his pocket.

3] If Andrew joins the Jayhawks, it will become a case of the tail Wiggins the dog!

4] BenMac is from Wellston, Missouri...the NBA will look like a day care center compared to his neighborhood.....he'll be fine.

5] The new designated nickname for Mr. Embiid is "Cam-Jam" [as in the Cameroon Jammeroon] and I predict he will be starting by the first game next season. HCBS has gortten used to seeing opponents shots being blocked constantly the last two seasons...he will not want to stop this feeling!!

6] Kansas will be extremely good next year because they will be soooo young, they won't know any better!!

7] The practice battles between "Cam-Jam" and "The Load" should be EPIC next season!!!!

8] Wayne Selden is a Ninja Assassin Rambo Warrior who will carry this team on his back next season.

9] Finally, among all this hype about this outstanding incoming class....four words...DON'T FORGET ABOUT ELLIS!!!!!!!

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

And with all the excitement over Selden’s highlights and Perry’s emergence... don’t forget about Brannen Greene!

He’ll be picking up the smooth right where Ben left it.

texashawk10 2 years, 4 months ago

Your #2 is not fact. The 3 available schollies already includes Wesley going back to walk on status if necessary.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Are we gonna get the comment total on this thread over 300, or WHAT!!

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Appears the NCAA is considering taking away the midmajor advantage by shortening the 35 second clock. Imagine had they done this years ago. No Bucknell shocker, no UNI shocker, no UTEP shocker. Even the VCU and Arizona shockers wouldn't have happened due to results over the season being altered for borderline NCAA teams who would have had a difficult time adjusting to the shot clock. The pairings would have been completely different so we would have never played a VCU or Arizona. I've always felt our midmajor type losses were preventable if each game had more possessions and moves even slightly faster. This ruling would only help Self's Jayhawks. Anybody remember how handcuffed our players looked by the shot clock against Bucknell or UNI? That's the only hope most of these midmajors have.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if a shorter shot clock will prevent KU from shooting 25% from the field in an NCAA tourney game. When you're off, you're off.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Think about it from the Bucknell's perspective. The midmajors are thus forced to enter into their offense immediately as opposed to burning fifteen seconds first. More rushed shots because our defense isn't winded chasing them for the first fifteen seconds every possession. This all equals many more run-outs for the Jayhawks which historically is what gets our motors warmed up. We're talking about as many as fifty more possessions a game, many of them run outs for KU. I'd take the bet any day of the week.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

do you have a source? If they do take down the shot clock, I will be super happy. College ball, while they do move the ball better then the pros, needs to be sped up.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

On the radio this morning they said Izzo is pushing the NCAA for this rule change. Not sure if he's on the rules committee but certainly a lot of the high profile coaches would be in favor.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 4 months ago

While they are making some rule changes...how about changing that stupid flop/charge rule.

KemDooKU 2 years, 4 months ago

Ashley Judd offers free services to all incoming recruits - how can Wiggins pass the sh$t up. Kentucky here I cume!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

HEY..how come my #4 above gets deleted and this post stays up!! Wellston is a very tough part of St.Louis and Ben and his family hung in there!! It was meant as a complement to the McLemore family.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

OOPS..never mind. I better check my computior!!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 4 months ago

This type of comment has no place in this board...having said that, have you seen Ashley Judd lately?

trustyourSelf 2 years, 4 months ago

I love the move to stay by Smart. He realizes there's more to life than finances. I love the idea of passing up guaranteed millions to have the time of his life playing college ball. He is refreshing.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Guaranteed earnings? One never knows, for certain. An irregular and surprising decision such as this of Marcus S. always raises a flag. Seems to have jolted NBA evaluators. Will be a huge plus for Okie State Hoops and the strength of our league, 2013-14. Preseason national ratings will probably shuffle accordingly. If Marcus stays healthy, I don't envision his falling out of future lotteries.

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 4 months ago

Ya know, I never liked Marcus Smart, mainly because he was good and wasn't on our team, but I like him now. Never a fan of kids leaving early for the NBA. It takes away a lot of learning opportunities and life experiences. I hope Smart's decision is for real and it changes the way these kids think. Kudos my dude! And part of me hopes Ok St does big things next year! Not as big as our jayhawks though ;) RCJH!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

From a friend in Florida, the current rumor down there is that FSU is out of the picture and the parents have KU as their second choice while Andrew favors UK. It appears, Mom is no great admirer of Coach Cal,. but really likes HCBS.

Still, the follow-up word is that North Carolina may be the "compromise" choice. Good coach, maximum PT, best buddy there, good exposure.

All this info and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at your local Starbucks!!

My personal opinion......Kansas is behind all of the other three, so let's play the cards we've been dealt.

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 4 months ago

Good info! Bill should ask him a few questions. "How many times in a row has Kansas been to the big tourney? Did kentucky go last year? Did we beat UNC? Did I win a championship with Kansas? Who coached here for 10 years and couldn't do it? Who did I beat when we won the championship? Who's your daddy? ... We win!

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

If Andrew should not be keen about coming to Lawrence, then his presence might make for minimum coachability, perhaps team turmoil. If he does sign with KU, I hope he does so with full commitment and intensity. From what I see in the current Kentucky lineup, the addition of Rivals #1 player stands the chance of dooming Coach Cal to more of what he faced last season, what with so many one-and-done hopefuls leaping aboard that two-way train.. I imagine that the gathering pressure to resurrect prominence in Lexington is off the charts. From that Jordan game, one thing stood out for certain. Mr. Randle is going to challenge anyone who stands in his path to accomplishment. Once our 7' recruit Embiid gets a couple of seasons under his belt, I would love to see him and Randle square off again under some bigtops. But not likely to be....

bradynsdad 2 years, 4 months ago

Joe Dooley to take the Florida Gulf Coast job!! Who will Self bring in to replace him?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

i could make myself available !!

Wait, then I'd actually have to work at coaching (probably wouldn't get a couch to watch the games on) and I'd be held accountable for my decisions. Never mind.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 4 months ago

On a side note, we're one step closer to removing that damn track from Memorial Stadium...woo hoo!!!!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 4 months ago

First Bracketology for next season; KU is a #3 seed. Not too bad for a rebuilding year...

April13 2 years, 4 months ago

The last two years were rebuilding years too, weren't they? We'll be a one-seed. Bank on it. Ellis moves to first-team all-conference, it's an all out brawl by our recruits for freshman of the year, and Frankamp establishes and outside game we have not had in awhile. It will take some time, but this team is going to be lethal.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Dooley leaving KU...
Best of luck Coach Dooley; the KU coaching tree grows bigger and prouder.

Ben Kane 2 years, 4 months ago

The tricky thing about the guaranteed money is that you only get a contract for two years at best. It is at this point that an NBA player really has the chance to cash in and establish himself as a long-term player.

if a player hasn't proven it by that time, they will not be rewarded with a major contract no matter how much upside that player has. Many of these high upside players do end up hurting themselves in the long run by not being ready enough for the NBA to earn that big second contract when they leave school.

If Smart believes that he would prefer to come back to school and work on his game (and whatever other reasons) to help prepare himself to do well at the next level, how can any other person question this?

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Roll over, Beethoven, chuck just drove another nail into the lid on the box against early jumps, which builds on some of what slayr laid out in the past.

But the pro case--a buck in the hand is worth two in the bush--remains valid, too.

Because of the uncertainty related to predicting two years down the road, especially related to injury risk over a 4 year period (say, staying 2 instead of 1 in college, and then the two year trial period in the NBA), the kids jump unless there is strong reason to believe they will go WAY HIGHER in the following season's draft.

Oh, and ancillary drivers like agents getting their fees a year sooner and parents getting their houses a year earlier weigh in, too.

This will never change, unless Stern sees more profit in adding a year. And there is no reason to think he will.

The NBA loves the two year reneg clause. Why? Because for every one guy that proves himself and gets the big bucks (Derek Rose), probably 4-6 prove to be journeymen, or washouts (Cole Aldrich). So: net, the NBA wins big at the numbers game. This was all carefully thought out by the NBA planners BEFORE the OAD rule was foisted on the college.

notjustbread 2 years, 4 months ago

My vote for Dooley's replacement is Wayne Simeon.

Ben Simonett 2 years, 4 months ago

Tyus Jones likes choach Self, when i talked to him about the last in home visit over the summer Self sold him hard on all the ball screen action KU runs in our offensive sets and how its perfect for his skill set.

That said, Tyus LOVES coach K. Jahil Okafor and Tyus will be going to the same school together, and it seems like its essentially Tyus' choice and Okafor is going to follow him whereever.

Those 2 are going to Duke, i dont see any Coach capable of convincing Tyus to go elsewhere. He's been getting phone calls from coach K since his freshman year and his parents like coach K more than anyone else as well.

The coaching staff needs to move on. the back court is already loaded for the next few seasons anyway

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

I've met several of my wives while they were married and in LOVE with other men.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Looking ahead to '14/'15, they DO need to add at least one backcourt piece if not two.

If not for transfer we'd have one more RIGHT NOW!!!! Right now we have 1 that we KNOW can play PG.

I would argue DEFINITELY want to recruit a PG.

That's why I keep harping back to Josh Perkins over and over and over again.

We won't be getting Ty. Jones (Duke) or E. Mudiay (UK)....so just cut your losses now.

Could MAYBE get McLaughlin if we pushed hard enough, but from all indications he's one of those ball-hogging PGs & described as being a lot like A. Iverson.

Next-in-line = Perkins. From closer to the area (Denver), AWESOME at stealing the ball and very solid passing the ball. Enough size (6'-2, 185) that could spell either G-spot freshman year. Pretty solid defensively. In some of the pictures, seen some crazy curly fros....looks like a fun kid & smart too....check out some of the other schools looking at him, think I saw Harvard & Stanford out there.

Additonally, I like Isiah Whitehead out of Brooklyn. Sounds like Ru. Robinson & 4" taller!!!! :) ALSO, could play both G-spots and be good insurance to start right away at SG if Selden were to be an OAD.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

One of the points that I'm not seeing anyone mention is Wiggins' comment about Hudy better preparing him for the NBA from a S&C perspective.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Doesn't encourage me though.

Randle praised Hudy when describing KU too. :(

Jim Jackson 2 years, 4 months ago

Anyone have any idea as to who we are targeting for this year's class besides Wiggins? Any JUCO info etc?

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 4 months ago

Technical Correction: I think Little was the #1 Juco player and Appleton was the #3. (Although I am now noticing you said Appleton was #1 guard, which might be correct) But I specifically remember it being reported that Little was the #1 JUCO player in the country.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Heck, even looking further ahead, I'm a little nervous that we won't be able to land a highly rated big man.

ESPN Top 60

1st-rated J. Okafor - no way, likely Duke, MSU or OSU...some sources don't even have us on his list

7th-rated K.Looney (a bit undersized to be described as a PF - 6'-7, 185...basically the same build as B. Greene who we practically think of as a SG!!!) - anyway, he's from Milwaukee - I'd be surprised if he doesn't go to Marquette

8th-rated Cl. Alexander (MANY think he'll move up to top 2 or 3 when the re-evaluations come out)...would be my favorite one to get - looks like a T.Rob clone...though definitely 6'-8....not 6'-9. - - - problem being while we're on his list of schools he seems to MOSTLY be bandying about between MSU & UK....from most accounts leaning toward MSU though.

11th-rated L.Black - de-committed from Baylor. Seems to beg of with the de-commissioning, family convincing him to play closer to home at Memphis or Tennessee...could still see Baylor....not likely KU (though again, we're on his list)

....then, there really isn't anyone with KU on their list after that among the big men.

Makes me think that we're likely to end up recruiting a PG & a SG. PG to inherit from Tharpe for their Sophomore season (though would be in competiation w/ Mason too) and SG in case Selden were to be an OAD.

I'm suspecting Jo. Perkins (33rd-rated) for PG [out of Denver, CO]

& I. Whitehead from Brooklyn for SG - - - looks-wise looks JUST LIKE Ru. Robinson only 4" taller (6'4, 195). Stunning really.

42nd-rated (C), Tr. Reed, out of GA has no real list yet - maybe a chance?....REALLY skinny for ht. though = 6'-10, 190.

Realistic "dream haul" for next year's class would be Jo. Perkins & Cl. Alexander.

Unrealistic = Ty. Jones & J. Okafor (since they're saying they'd go as a pair).....just keep hearing of them as Duke seemingly being the most likely by quite a bit.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Brannen is silky smooth.

He does many, many things well.

His biggest need is to add 3-4 inches elevation to his jump shot. As soon as he does, his offensive game will translate well.

Tape doesn't show defense, so who knows there?

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 4 months ago

For a kid like Wiggins, KU isn't what he wants... Kids with this much hype are ONLY going to college because they basically HAVE to. One year, to get it out of the way. Wiggins could go to Delaware and he'd get national exposure. He'll bring the attention and cameras wherever he lands. That's why FSU is the easiest decision for the kid. Kansas and UNC are two programs where you have to go and work hard and win the position outright. That's not what a one and done player wants. FSU is somewhere with little others to steal the spotlight and allows this kid to run the plays and run the team and stand out and keep the attention on him. I'd like to have his talent, but KU doesn't get players like this...

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

"Thread Distillate or Violence Is Golden, Golden..."

Part 1

~Self implies he has enough "depth" for next season that he "probably" won't sign depth and one has to suppose that is for one of two reasons. First, he doesn't want to encourage opposing coaches to go after certain players simply to deny them to Self. Second, he wants to reserve the right to sign one that would deny a key piece to some opponent next season. Only Bill knows for sure exactly which might be the case. One thing is for certain: it signals to opposing coaches that if they go after any of his players, or any that he may still want, he is willing and able to go after theirs, so be advised b-rats; this is veiled hardball.

~Self lacks one wide body big that can plug and play, and one guard that can plug and play. Alas, the plug and play impact players are gone. This means he is looking for plug and play glue; that means guys not only able, but willing to glue for his impact guys. They have to be both, or they are no good to Self. If Self could still sign one, or both, kinds of plug and play glue, he would. But of course, if cows could jump over the moon, they would, too. The problem is, such players (e.g., Tarik) can probably catch on at lesser schools and play impact, rather than glue roles, so signing such players may be almost as difficult as siging, hmmm, say, Wiggins.

~To master the obvious and add some context, Self probably most wishes to sign Wiggins, because Wiggins + incomings + returning team = another 30 win reload (rather than a rebuild). And Self knows he is in the hunt. At the same time, the realist in Self probably thinks Wiggs is not more than a 50/50 chance, probably more like a 25% chance. Mommie loves Bill. Daddy and Wiggs lean UK. And Roy, or K, or someone, will probably win in a compromise, as the analyst someone mentioned above suggested on Twitter.

~Interestingly, Self might sign a 4 star Kaleb Joseph, if KJ could guard out of the box, so that Self could afford to red shirt Conner Frankamp's Super Gun and trade 18 for 23 with Conner. Frankamp is such a fabulous shooter that the program could benefit hugely by him being physically able to defend and be in the rotation four full seasons, rather than sub minimally a freshman season and be in the rotation three. Certainly, Conner could play some this coming season, if no one else were signed, because of his gun, but physically his defense would probably not be nearly as strong as a freshman, as it would be if he were able to build strength during a red shirt season and hit the wood running for a killer four year run setting the school record for most treys.

~The probability is: nothing will happen. But Bill Self did not get to where he is by playing only probabilities. He is a coach that plays long shots, too. He does both. So we are really not able to forecast any better what Bill will do than his opposing coaches do 84% of the time.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Kaleb Joseph is a Class of 2014 kid....not 2013.

Honestly, I think there's AT LEAST 3 PG's higher than him that Self would actually prefer. I think he's just doing his due diligence to express the interest to hope that he can guarantee one of his top 4-5 choices at PG vs. his 6th or 7th which was the case w/ F. Mason last recruiting season.

He wants Tyus Jones 1st, but who doesn't - - - not going to happen......most likely going to Duke & if he doesn't go to Duke, then probably Ohio State or Michigan St.

2ndly - E. Mudiay would be PERFECT for us. IDEAL Self G, BUT another DFW area kid enamored w/ UK = he is UK's to have - don't waste the time and just forget about him.

3rd would be Jordan McLaughlin from out L.A.-way. Think he was a UCLA-lean....would be interesting if he still is w/ Alford there now, BUT he's also been analyzed to be more of an A. Iverson "ball-hog" type of PG.

4thly (if that is such a word) is the ONE I WANT!!!!! Josh Perkins from out of Denver. Team-player, heady defense - a lot of the highlights on him show a good talent in getting steals. Has range and a great passing game. Pretty good rebounding for a 6'-2 G too. Good character & smarts & have the advantage of geography for once!!! :) - Kansas not too far from Denver.

5th - K. Jospeh....I would argue seems enamored w/ the NE-schools. Articles make him sound overwhelmed by interest from Syracuse, UConn, etc.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Part 2

~My own private Idaho would be signing a wide body big that could guard and muscle. Now that Self has developed this insane stretch high-low offense for skinnies, if he were to add some muscle, then opponents would have to prepare for both kinds of high-low and I think it would be very difficult for them to switch gears.

~My number one strategic/tactical wish for the off season is for all of the team to work diligently at mastering the moving screen. The moving screen is the new "it" of D1. All the teams in this year's Final Four were masters of the moving screen. KU used the moving screen as a somewhat passive technique out of necessity, because of our skinnies. But the Final Four teams used the moving screen a full blown assault weapon. The moving screens from February on, and especially in Madness often took on the look of pulling guards, or of post-and-drive blocking in football. It is critical for Self to figure out how to make more aggressive use of the moving screen in his high low sets--both in stretch mode and in dense mode, or the motion and Princeton offenses are just going to become increasingly hard to counter. Our moving screens need to put guys on the floor the way opposing teams running motion and Princeton offenses did repeatedly. The beauty of the moving screen is that it allows XTReme Muscle without almost any fouls ever being called. The refs clearly plan to call their 39 fouls and use most of them related to shooting and flagrant stuff. Moving screens are apparently not considered flagrant even when you put a man on the floor. So: becoming masters of the violent moving screen is now the path to the pot of gold in college basketball and should be until a series of high profile concussions result.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Part 3

~Each season is still more violent than the next. This season fooled us for awhile, because we were skinny and Self developed the Stretch High Low that minimized the brutality against our guys for much of the season, but down the stretch and especially in the Madness, the XTReme Cream of Blood and Whey rose to the top again. I can hardly wait until someone at ESPN/CBS/FOX/MILITARY CHANNELL start showing the games in a night vision filter and use a rewrite of the old song "Silence Is Golden" slightly rewritten as NCAA hoops new theme song.

Oh don't it hurt deep inside

To see someone moving screen and score

Oh don't it pain to see players cry

How especially if that player is yours

Violence is golden, when their eyes can't see

Violence is golden, golden, as their bladders release

Trash talk is cheap when guards go down like bleep

Especially with a body blow

How could he tell he concussed the guard so well

Pity he'll be the last one to know

How many times will he do a header on the lines

Should I tell him or should I be cruel

And if I tried to tell the ref he'd say I lied

Mind your business turn their brains to stools

Violence is golden, when their eyes can't see