Monday, April 15, 2013

KU football player Nick Sizemore arrested on suspicion of DUI, leaving the scene of an accident

Kansas University's Nick Sizemore participates in a drill in this 2011 file photo from spring practices.

A senior Kansas University football player has been suspended after being arrested early Sunday morning on suspicion of DUI early Sunday morning in the 1800 block of West Sixth Street.

Nicolas Wade Sizemore, 22, Lititz, Pa., was stopped by police for driving without headlights just after midnight, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. Officers suspected that Sizemore was intoxicated and had struck a parked vehicle in the parking lot of The Ranch, 2515 W. Sixth St., minutes before being stopped. He was booked into Douglas County Jail on suspicion of DUI and leaving the scene of a noninjury accident.

Sizemore was issued a notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court on May 1 and was released from jail on a $700 bond.

Kansas football coach Charlie Weis announced Monday morning that Sizemore, a senior tight end, has been suspended for the first three games of the 2013 season for a violation of team rules, according to a news release from Kansas Athletics.

“As I have previously stated, every player on our team knows and understands our rules and regulations,” Weis said in the statement. “They also know the consequences for violations.”

Comments

WS 1 year, 7 months ago

Not everyone has consequences Coach Weiss..........

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Gawd, how long will it take for people to figure out how to spell our coach's name?

squawkhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

What difference does it make? He won't be here long enough to matter.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 7 months ago

Why don't you a-holes get your own board?

IAmRonBurgundy 1 year, 7 months ago

If you had any education you would KNOW how to spell KNOW. Moving along from the preferential treatment story...

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

Likely he chose the blood test over the field sobriety test. In that case the PoPo take him in on suspicion, take the blood, but then have to wait for the results. Until the results come in, it is only a suspicion. The posting of bond is probably for the “leaving a scene of an accident” thing. You don’t have to post bond on suspicion of drunk driving.

Don’t ask how I know that.

Kc Ticketguy 1 year, 7 months ago

The statement above is not accurate. In Kansas you do not have to take the "field sobriety test" ever. That is right, I said ever. It has no impact on your license. You have an unqualified right to refuse. Breath and Blood test...not so much.

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

I used the wrong terminology didn’t I? A field sobriety test is when they make you dance and count backwards and stuff. You can refuse that but then you are certain to get the breath test, right?

In CO you can refuse the breath and take the blood. You are free to go until you get a letter in the mail with the results. Refuse both and they throw the book at you.

The suspicion part is any and everything that leads them to believe you are intoxicated to begin with, isn’t it? The smell of alcohol, slurred speech, etc.?

I assume from your alias you’re either a scalper or you’ve had a few people refuse a field sobriety test on you. Sorry for calling you PoPo. I meant it in a nice way...

Kc Ticketguy 1 year, 7 months ago

I am a criminal defense lawyer that focuses on traffic related offenses. The only reason they say "suspicion" of DUI is because he hasn't been convicted. It is a nice way of saying charged with a DUI. Everyone that is arrested it technically arrested for suspicion of the offense they are charged with.

danno1313 1 year, 7 months ago

When you're arrested for DUI you have to post bond. What test you take is irrelevant.

Ray Winger 1 year, 7 months ago

Nick, hold your head up, practice hard, make good grades, serve the suspension, marry a pretty girl, get a job that pays you well, and no more alcohol related issues........OK?!?!

spenc1324 1 year, 7 months ago

Lets try not to kick him when he us down we have all been 22 and made mistakes. I bet 3 out of 4 people that post on this site have had a DUI in their life time. Lets just hope he learns from this mistake and continue to learn and grow as a person. I would even bet at least 1of 4 got DUI in multiples and at later ages in their life. Im not trying to justify his actions because he's damn lucky nobody got hurt I'm just sayin before crucifying the young man lets realize we have all been where he is right now and scolding him will not help he will already pay dearly for this in court keep your head up nick and stay on the straight and narrow.

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Ha, I'll challenge you that 3 of 4 people on here have had a DUI. I haven't, so the next three people who post better have one.

s6u6r6f 1 year, 7 months ago

I haven't. I either talked my drunken self out of the pinch, or I went into that special drunk stealth mode which allows one to make time disappear and to magically transport oneself from one unrecognizable place to another with no memory of movement. And thanks, seniors. It was a fully engaging season. Best of luck to you all. Waiting for next season. Rock chalk.

Jason Keller 1 year, 7 months ago

You've never gotten behind the wheel after having 2 or 3 drinks? Have you never? Only then can you talk... depending on your size, even 2 could have you over the limit.

Adam Evans 1 year, 7 months ago

1) the challenge was a DUI. Driving drunk and not getting caught dont count. Lol

2) I'm 30 years old and have never had a DUI. Only pulled on suspicion once but I was sober. Reg was out of date and my passenger reaked of alchy so I had to blow.

Does that make 0/4?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I never had a DUI ( it was DWI in my day, by the way), but only because I was EXTREMELY lucky. I was not smart about drinking - I was an idiot. But, thankfully, I quit drinking all forms of booze 24 years ago after watching a video of my brother in law's 30th birthday party. A grown man should not act like that. Ever.

Jason Keller 1 year, 7 months ago

Guilty as charged my friend! They got me on 6th street in Lawrence, Kansas at the age of 21. Luckily that was and still is the only trouble I have ever been in so I was able to avoid a full blown conviction for future employment purposes. The two who already posted I'm sure have never in their lives got behind a wheel after having more than 2 drinks...

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 7 months ago

No DUIs. Not because I didin't ever deserve one. I graduated from KU six years ago, and it didn't take me long after that to become much smarter when I realized that my career was on the line.

Hurinfan 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm 25 and I haven't driven drunk because I'm not a POS. When you drive drunk you put everyone on the road at risk and people like my friend's mom die. He should be suspended for the whole year. Put in jail and his drivers license taken away.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Take the plank out, buddy.

Never had a DUI, but I'm not judging. Lots of things you can do wrong in life and this is just one of them. Hope you learn from your mistake Nick and have a great senior season.

Hurinfan 1 year, 7 months ago

I overreacted a bit but I'm just tired of this "kids huh?" attitude when it comes to DUIs. It's not effing okay and it shouldn't be treated lightly.

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 7 months ago

I think Hurinfan has a right to judge. I lost a buddy in high school because he was drinking and driving. He also took out his passenger. That was '90 and I am still upset about it. When we start justifying by saying "Don't tell me you haven't ever had 2 or 3 drinks and then..." then we just add to the problem. It is a major problem. And for cryin' out loud, haven't we had enough football players make this mistake? Surely they can learn to have a DD!

JayDocMD 1 year, 7 months ago

Judge away. Because of my profession, I've seen more families affected by this than most. Anybody that drives impaired (texting too) risks the life of my son, daughter, and wife.

I don't think thats one bit funny - that "lol" by KUGuyInTarheelLand posted above is anything but funny: "not gettting caught don't count." That's awesome. How about plowing into my family and killing them? If you get away before the police get there, does that count?

Next time you feel like risking the lives of my loved ones, please stay home, drink yourself silly and then play Russian Roulette with the people most precious to you in this life.

danno1313 1 year, 7 months ago

Three out of four people here have been charged with DUI? Really? I m 49 and I have never had a drink. I think more people should try that approach. It seems to have eliminated A LOT of problems in my life that others I know have had. Just saying. Makes sense to me.

Kc Ticketguy 1 year, 7 months ago

Not saying the the Lawrence PD would ever do something like this, but remember Innocent until proven guilty.

Cops aren't always on the up and up.

vd 1 year, 7 months ago

Never had one. As an old man though, I should have had many. Times have changed. Cops used to tell you to go home, now they throw you in the slammer. Since they started doing that, and the job is on the line, and I'm an old man, I don't drink and drive anymore.

Jason Keller 1 year, 7 months ago

Ha! Throw you in the slammer? Heck, they'll throw you in the slammer and then they'll go to work on you.

squawkhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Looks like Weis is running a tight ship. Who's next?

spenc1324 1 year, 7 months ago

I have had at least 4 friends either paralyzed or dead and countless other people I grew up with and knew who are dead from drinking and driving. I do not condone or advocate drinking and driving at all, but this is a lesson for him to learn and him only. If he doesn't he will be kicked off the team at least and at worst somebody will end up dead. All I'm sayin is as a 22 yr old we've all been at this crossroads in some way and you either learn and grow from it or you don't!! I just hope he learns from this and becomes a better person for it before something bad happens

Kman_blue 1 year, 7 months ago

Good grief! Nice to see the mizery trolls are still spending their time here at KUSports.com!

No real comment from me about the incident and punishment.

What I really want to know is how does Mr. Ian Cummings feel about his last name being censored on the message boards of this website?

notjustbread 1 year, 7 months ago

Designate before you celebrate. Friends don't let friends go to Mizzou or drive drunk. Drive sober or get pulled over. Buzzed driving is drunk driving.....we need these messages to resinate deeper. http://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/CAMPAIGNS/Drunk+Driving/Drive+Sober+or+Get+Pulled+Over/National+Crackdown/Campaign+Materials