Monday, April 15, 2013

KU football player Nick Sizemore arrested on suspicion of DUI, leaving the scene of an accident

Kansas University's Nick Sizemore participates in a drill in this 2011 file photo from spring practices.

A senior Kansas University football player has been suspended after being arrested early Sunday morning on suspicion of DUI early Sunday morning in the 1800 block of West Sixth Street.

Nicolas Wade Sizemore, 22, Lititz, Pa., was stopped by police for driving without headlights just after midnight, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. Officers suspected that Sizemore was intoxicated and had struck a parked vehicle in the parking lot of The Ranch, 2515 W. Sixth St., minutes before being stopped. He was booked into Douglas County Jail on suspicion of DUI and leaving the scene of a noninjury accident.

Sizemore was issued a notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court on May 1 and was released from jail on a $700 bond.

Kansas football coach Charlie Weis announced Monday morning that Sizemore, a senior tight end, has been suspended for the first three games of the 2013 season for a violation of team rules, according to a news release from Kansas Athletics.

“As I have previously stated, every player on our team knows and understands our rules and regulations,” Weis said in the statement. “They also know the consequences for violations.”

Comments

notjustbread 1 year ago

Designate before you celebrate. Friends don't let friends go to Mizzou or drive drunk. Drive sober or get pulled over. Buzzed driving is drunk driving.....we need these messages to resinate deeper. http://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/CAMPAIGNS/Drunk+Driving/Drive+Sober+or+Get+Pulled+Over/National+Crackdown/Campaign+Materials

JHWKDW 1 year ago

You cannot give enough punishment IMHO! A DUI is the easiest thing to avoid getting! If you are driving, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL. Just plain and simple.I have no sympathy for this.

When I was 16, me and my buddies got hit by a drunk driver and the crash was intense.Thankfully none of us were hurt.In addition the Jack off tried to take off but his starter blew up.Anyway I just hate drunk drivers.No excuse for it

Kman_blue 1 year ago

Good grief! Nice to see the mizery trolls are still spending their time here at KUSports.com!

No real comment from me about the incident and punishment.

What I really want to know is how does Mr. Ian Cummings feel about his last name being censored on the message boards of this website?

spenc1324 1 year ago

I have had at least 4 friends either paralyzed or dead and countless other people I grew up with and knew who are dead from drinking and driving. I do not condone or advocate drinking and driving at all, but this is a lesson for him to learn and him only. If he doesn't he will be kicked off the team at least and at worst somebody will end up dead. All I'm sayin is as a 22 yr old we've all been at this crossroads in some way and you either learn and grow from it or you don't!! I just hope he learns from this and becomes a better person for it before something bad happens

squawkhawk 1 year ago

Looks like Weis is running a tight ship. Who's next?

vd 1 year ago

Never had one. As an old man though, I should have had many. Times have changed. Cops used to tell you to go home, now they throw you in the slammer. Since they started doing that, and the job is on the line, and I'm an old man, I don't drink and drive anymore.

Kc Ticketguy 1 year ago

Not saying the the Lawrence PD would ever do something like this, but remember Innocent until proven guilty.

Cops aren't always on the up and up.

spenc1324 1 year ago

Lets try not to kick him when he us down we have all been 22 and made mistakes. I bet 3 out of 4 people that post on this site have had a DUI in their life time. Lets just hope he learns from this mistake and continue to learn and grow as a person. I would even bet at least 1of 4 got DUI in multiples and at later ages in their life. Im not trying to justify his actions because he's damn lucky nobody got hurt I'm just sayin before crucifying the young man lets realize we have all been where he is right now and scolding him will not help he will already pay dearly for this in court keep your head up nick and stay on the straight and narrow.

IrishCharlie 1 year ago

come on, if it were b-ball, it would be 10 extra sprints....

Raydude 1 year ago

Nick, hold your head up, practice hard, make good grades, serve the suspension, marry a pretty girl, get a job that pays you well, and no more alcohol related issues........OK?!?!

Stacy Napier 1 year ago

I like the term suspicion of DUI. If you had any education you would now that suspicion doesn't equal arrest. Probable cause does. Are we trying to down play the charges because he is a football player.

WS 1 year ago

Not everyone has consequences Coach Weiss..........