Sunday, April 14, 2013

Kansas hoops banquet tonight

Kansas University’s 2012-13 basketball team — which claimed a ninth-consecutive Big 12 regular-season title and a postseason tourney crown for the third time in four years while winning 30 games for a fourth-straight campaign — will be honored at the Jayhawks’ postseason awards banquet tonight at the Holidome.

“This team went 31-6. It was a team that was supposed to struggle this year, and they (players) raised everybody’s expectation level because they played to such a high level all year long. We thought we were good, and we were good,” KU coach Bill Self said of a squad that fell to Michigan, 87-85, in overtime, in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

“It was a wild year in college basketball,” KU’s 10th-year coach added. “We had as consistent a year as anybody. We had one rough stretch (three straight losses Feb. 2-9). TCU beat us (62-55 at TCU) and Baylor beat us (81-58 at BU). Oklahoma beat us by five or six. It was a one-point game in the last minute (72-66 setback at OU).

“Other than that, we led going down the stretch,” Self added of an 85-80 loss to Oklahoma State in Allen Fieldhouse, 67-64 loss to Michigan State in Atlanta and the season-ending defeat to Michigan in Dallas. “Our guys performed at a pretty consistent level. I’m proud of them, but obviously I wish we could replay those last two minutes (vs. Michigan). That’s as well as we played on a big stage in a tournament game in a while, and of course we let it get away from us late.”

It should be interesting to see which Jayhawk (or Jayhawks) claims the Danny Manning/Mr. Jayhawk Award at the conclusion of the banquet, which is sold out. Freshman Ben McLemore and senior Jeff Withey were both first-team All-Big 12 and consensus second-team All-Americans. Withey was NABC co-defensive player of the year with Indiana’s Victor Oladipo.

Playing in pain: Incoming KU freshman Wayne Selden suffered from an upset stomach during Saturday’s Jordan Brand Classic game, jayhawkslant.com reports. Selden — who was one of various all-stars who might have contacted food poisoning — did not score in 15 minutes. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Tilton (N.H.) School was 0-for-4 shooting with three rebounds, two assists, four turnovers and one steal.

“We’re going to work hard, play defense, and win No. 10 (league title in a row),” Selden told jayhawkslant.com. Asked about a national championship, he said: “Of course. The fans want nothing less.”

Selden was one of various players asked by USA Today how he’d fare in a game of one-on-one against Michael Jordan in his prime. Selden said he’d lose, 11-2.

“In his prime? Man, I’d get one point going to the rack, then he’d stopped that the next time so I’d have to go to a quick pull-up jumper and hope that it goes in. So yeah that’s two points. That’s it. I mean, that’s Jordan in his prime. I’m not doing more than that. Nah!” Selden told the paper.

Embiid excels: Future KU center Joel Embiid, a 7-footer from The Rock in Gainsville, Fla., was matched against 6-10 future Kentucky player Dakari Johnson at Jordan Brand practices in Brooklyn, N.Y.

“Johnson (Kentucky) has set the standard for centers since rejoining the 2013 class. He works for everything he gets, has great hands and defines efficiency in the post,” wrote Adam Finkelstein of ESPN. “Then there’s Embiid, who is just in the beginning stages of his development but has a wealth of upside. A 7-footer with broad shoulders who runs the floor like a deer, Embiid is built like the prototypical new-age NBA post player but has tools in his skill set as well with a sound jump hook and a super-soft touch that extends all the way out to the arc.

“Ultimately, Johnson was the best center in high school basketball this year, but Embiid looks like the better NBA prospect,” he added.

Embiid had a game-high five blocks to go with his seven rebounds and four points in the Brand Classic. Johnson had eight points and four boards.

“Late bloomer KU recruit @jojo_embiid impressed scouts w size+agility, shows top 10 NBA center potential if his offense continues to develop,” Tweeted NBAdraft.net.

Wiggins impresses Melo: The country’s No. 1 prospect, 6-7 Andrew Wiggins of Huntington (W. Va.) Prep, scored 19 points in the Classic.

“I like him,” New York Knicks’ player Carmelo Anthony told ESPN New York after the game. “I saw him last summer in Vegas. He looked really good.

“I wish him the best. Next year, if he does what he’s gotta do, he’ll be ready to take that next step (to NBA).”

Wiggins has not set a date to announce his college choice. He has a final four of KU, Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina.

“No one I care about is telling (me) to go anywhere, or even bringing it up,” Wiggins told ESPN New York.

Future Kentucky player Julius Randle, who had 19 points and seven boards, said: “I’m trying my best (to recruit him to Kentucky), but it’s on him, and I wish nothing but the best for him. He’s a great player. He makes the game easier on me. It was fun playing with him.”

Comments

jayhawkinnc 6 years, 10 months ago

I hope Embiid and Seldon also did some recruiting of their own this weekend and have made a pitch to Wiggins to come to KU.

LubbockJhawk85 6 years, 10 months ago

You would think it would be easy to scroll up in the article and repeat that spelling in your post...guess not.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 10 months ago

If you want to criticize spelling, in this country the preferred form of the past tense and a past participle of "spell" is "spelled," not "spelt." http://grammarist.com/spelling/spelled-spelt/
In any case, this is a sports board and not and English 101 class.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

English major JayHawkFanToo? Either way, a really good post.

I still see people misspelling Wayne's last name. Just don't feel the need to correct someone's spelling.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 10 months ago

I am actually a Civil Engineer but nowadays I work mostly in Information Management Systems.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like $$$. My brother works in San Diego doing similar but not the same type of work.

cklarock 6 years, 10 months ago

You really shouldn't correct someones' spelling while gramatical errors are in your post.

KULA 6 years, 10 months ago

"obviously I wish we could replay those last two minutes"

Speaks volumes. C'mon Bill--watch the video. Think of it as your Coach's Boot Camp. You and your staff could spend two weeks watching and analyzing your tournament upset videos and see if you can come up with some "what would I do differently" scenarios. Sure it hurts, but no pain, no gain.

ccarp 6 years, 10 months ago

I'd rather the coaches focus on stocking the cupboards with recruits. They know what's up and are likely harder on themselves than we can imagine. 31-6, that's prettty good. Only 3 or 4 mental lapse losses from this team? I think the coaches, players, and trainers maximized the team's potential this year. Rock Chalk! I'm proud of this squad. And excited for the future.

kellerman411 6 years, 10 months ago

^^^ This is exactly what has gotten us beat the last several years in the tournament. "We have better players so we'll just let them play and win....". Self has gotten burned by a press and bounced from the tournament early at least 6 times in the last decade. I say "early" because we were so so so very good and could have won it all so many times. Recruiting is nice but when you're being out coached, it's time to look in the mirror and hit the books. He needs to fix it and that's that. If the kids were getting outplayed that would be another thing but consistently we're bounced because Self doesn't teach how to break a press and if you can't tell it pisses me off.

hayjawk 6 years, 10 months ago

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who never know victory nor defeat.

dylans 6 years, 10 months ago

Arguably the best NBA team in history (the Bulls from the 90s can't recall which year) lost 10 games during the regular season and a couple in the postseason. But if the NBA playoffs were single elimination it's possible that the Pacers or Knicks win it all. In college basketball the best team rarely wins the tournament. Kansas was not the best team in '88, but they were in '97. How does history remember them?

kellerman411 6 years, 10 months ago

This is a good point. Still hurts though... The Morris twins last year was the worst. We were the best and it wasn't close.

rockchalkchalkin23 6 years, 10 months ago

2005,6,7,8,9, and 2012,13, the best teams won. You're entitled to rationalize it however you want.

otaKU 6 years, 10 months ago

It is debatable that the best team won in 2008. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jayhawks and I thought they were the best team but the case can also be made for Memphis. They had an excellent team that year. We probably should've lost but I am so grateful that we didn't.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

Not 100% sure but I think UNC was the overall #1 in 2008 and they got spanked by us. I think whenever a 1 seed wins the tournament that they were the best team.

Jack Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

"Self doesn't teach how to break the press" ~ sorry 411 ~ my money says you are 100% wrong ~ my guess is that it falls into the "player error" category.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

ccarp, "I'd rather the coaches focus on stocking the cupboards with recruits"

I'd rather have an NCAA Championship then a cupboard full of recruits. Recruits equal potential but winning is what counts.

Jack Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

Can we just get over the "watch the video" BS ? ~ (either interpretation works) ~

jaybate 6 years, 10 months ago

jaybate presents...

SHIRTS AND SKINS: BILL SELF VS. KULA

BILL SELF:

• 2013: 31-6, 1 seed, sweet 16 (without a 1st team AA)

• Highest winning percentage last ten years: 84%

• Picked as top d1 program of 21st Century

• 1 ring

• 9 straight conference titles

• Wooden Award Coaching Legend

KULA:

• 1st team, All Clueless

WINNER: Bill Self

Next.

KULA 6 years, 10 months ago

You're right jay. I yield. Bill is perfect. He doesn't have strive to improve. He doesn't have to want to get better. There is no room for improvement. Because this is what we are and we'll never be anything more. A big name team that dominates our so-called Power Conference year after year and then gets embarrassingly upset in the real tournament every other year. I'm perfectly happy winning the lame Big 12 year after year and having that be the crowning achievement of our season. Thank you for enlightening me. I am now content. I can now sleep well. Good night.

Sam Constance 6 years, 10 months ago

Sorry pal. When you do things like suggest that you'd rather have Brad Stevens than Coach Self, you've earned some heavy criticism.

As far as I'm concerned, fans like you could take a long walk off a short pier.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 10 months ago

I wouldn't say that we were upset last year.....weren't a 1-seed yet made it to the Championship Game. '09 loss to Michigan St., Michigan St. was a better seed than us. '08 - obviously can't get upset when you win it all.

'07, I think we were the last 1 & UCLA the last 2 with the games somewhere like San Jose, CA. I would argue that THEY should've been favored....so I wouldn't call that an upset

So that's 4 of the last 6 years where we weren't "upset". Of those, two that were to me the UNI loss, hurt more since I was there. Plus, the VCU loss was already all the way up at the Elite 8. Plus, they were puttin' it on us. Really wasn't that close.

Jack Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey, KULA ~ judging from your lame attempt at sarcasm, I guess you are pissed. Relax ~ surely there are other areas of life that take precedence over Kansas University basketball ~ or not?

jaybate 6 years, 10 months ago

Get well soon, Super Selden!

Never so glad to learn someone was sick!

His O'fer had me worried he wasn't as super as I first thought.

But he was sick.

Yeeeee hawwwww.

Get to Larry soon, Wayne.

Impact all over us, as soon as you can!!!!!!

AsadZ 6 years, 10 months ago

Jeff Withey deserves the Danny Manning award

Joseph Leon 6 years, 10 months ago

What are the qualifications for getting the award? Is it just MVP, or is it leadership? I think Releford has a strong claim to both.

AsadZ 6 years, 10 months ago

Qualification to me is team's best player over course of the season with wins versus losses and while Releford would be definitely recoginzed as KU's Rock, our best player was Mr. W. when it comes to wins and losses.

KansasComet 6 years, 10 months ago

We got conservative in the Michigan game and lost. We were clearly the better team. We lost three games this year when we had the lead late. MSU, OSU, and Michigan. We had a successful year, and we will be even better next year. Looking forward to the upcoming season, just like I do every year. I hope the guards will be allowed to keep shooting when they get hot. I wish Andrew White would have gotten more playing time.

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 10 months ago

+1, but I think the problem was not the guards shooting but us not going to our bigs. With AW3 I wish he could have got more PT too, but he was very hot or cold and really didnt show that he was ready for playing defense yet, so I cant blame Self for not playing him more.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

It's really difficult to argue with Bill Self's overall record and accomplishments - BUT - some of his teams are the absolute Kings of blown leads. I'm always extremely nervous when we get a 15+ point lead. Play to WIN - don't play to not lose.

joeloveshawks 6 years, 10 months ago

Two of the losses people are saying we were "out coached" in are the OSU loss and the Michigan loss. I really can't agree with either. The OSU game was a case of the other team being on fire and the Michigan game is just something were everything went wrong for his and everything right for them. If Burke doesn't hit 2 35 ft. shots and our seniors make a couple free throws we win and there is none if this trash talking on Bill.

Kip_McSmithers 6 years, 10 months ago

But then what would our spoiled fans have to b_ about?

kellerman411 6 years, 10 months ago

Get real dude. We all know Self is a darn good coach but he gets smoked by the press every time. When is the last time you saw a KU team get pressed and them throw it ahead of the defense for an easy layup? Never. They panic and make 6 passes before half-court. They simply act as though they have never seen it before. Depending on how you want to look at it, it's a coaching failure. Maybe he didn't spend any time on it so that we can dominate other aspects of the game. What is a fact is that we got beat by Michigan because we couldn't break their press. Bottom line. The deep shots by Burke are expected in a game like that.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 10 months ago

Huh?!?!?! I remember ONE turnover against their press....the 10 second in the backcourt violation....which should've been a foul on Burke.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

Johnson had three game killing turnovers in the last 3 1/2 min.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't know what game you were watching but the press was not a significant issue the majority of the game against Michigan.
I you listen to Coach Self radio show, you would know that the team routinely practice playing against the press, with the first team practicing against 8=10 players. I KU "gets smoked by the press every time" as you put it, then every team KU plays would use the press and beat KU "every time."

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 10 months ago

OSU game was a case of being on fire EARLY, BUT if I were Self I'd've called a late timeout REFUSING to let Smart keep getting those putbacks for easy scores on the Off. brds. A BIG PART OF THAT was Self's fault for leaving a small lineup out there. Remember Releford was playing the "4" then.

Matthew Pyle 6 years, 10 months ago

Michigan is on Self. Watching EJ implode for much of the game is on him...... looked like he was shaving points.

Clydecito 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm confidant that HCBS knows exactly what happened the last four minutes of the Michigan game. His recall of game situations is usually precise and he likely wouldn't be assisted one iota by reviewing a television replay of that loss. I'm always impressed when he is interviewed 'in the moment' as he can usually tell you what happened in all five positions, while most people are watching two. Restock the cupboard. Next!

Timmay97 6 years, 10 months ago

It baffles me how some on this board are upset with Bill Self and his coaching strategy toward end of games. Seriously? How quickly we forget what transpired LAST YEAR. A team NOBODY thought would win the Big 12 let alone reach the NCAA tourney finals. But suddenly KU loses to Michigan in HORRIBLE fashion and everyone wants to play the blame game.

It hurt to see Trey Burke make that shot.....so much so that I simply walked out of the house and sat indian style on my driveway trying to figure something out that I couldn't. Fact is......the kid was the PLAYER OF THE YEAR and made a clutch shot when needed most. Kevin Young was right in his face. I know it's not only about the last shot.....it's the whole two minutes, but give me a break people.

Who are you replacing Bill Self with? Who thinks that he doesn't learn from his mistakes? The guy is a genius...and quite frankly......I've been calling him Coach God lately. He's THAT good.

If you think you're ticked about your season.....think Kentucky! I don't care who they lost, they always reload......and they got completely embarrased by A) Not making the tourney and B) losing to Robert Morris (regardless of where the game was played).

Have trust in Bill Self. As Jayhawk fans, we truly are spoiled. Enjoy the ride and stop being over critical of Coach God.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Lol. I think you're full of Shiite. (mushrooms)

chaggs 6 years, 10 months ago

I loved Selden's response to the question about the hypothetical matchup between himself and Michael in his prime. Lacks the pretentiousness of earlier recruits' claims.

Humble but hungry! Love it!

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 10 months ago

I am not calling for Self to be replaced, I think he is the best coah in America. He recruits well, gets the most out of the young men each year, is a great x's and o's coach, can design an inbound play that ends in a dunk at will and respects the tradition that is Kansas basketball.

With that said- I wish he would be more open minded to switching to zone/pressing/switching defenders in man when things arent working ....why not put Rel on burke when he got hot? One other thing that bugs me- why do we value timeouts so much: when EJ drove to the lane and got trapped or when we could see the 10 sec call coming, I was yelling at my tv, why didnt anyone call a timeout???? we had 3 left. Timeouts need to be used to stop turnovers, not just for adjustments or designing a play.

Next year will be fun, even with the growing pains. Rock Chalk

yates33333 6 years, 10 months ago

There are only two KU teams that I thought should have won the national championship since 1950--the Larry Brown team in 1985/86 when Archie Marshall got hurt, that had Thompson, Kellogg, Manning, Dreiling, Hunter and other good players, and this year's team. KU won in three other years when I didn't expect a national championship but was elated when it came. I think if we had survived Michigan, which didn't happen, we could have beaten Florida and then had one Helluva game against Louisville. Unlike close friends I think we were better than Louisville. We shall never know. In 1986 I think if Marshall hadn't got hurt and Dreiling hadn't fouled out on a very dumb foul we would have won. We had already beaten Louisville earlier in the NIT.

Of course, one could argue there are other years KU should have won when they were favored during Roy Williams time. Perhaps. I always thought we would win in the 1940s!! The exuberance of childhood.

How about a basketball team whose last three coaches have been Brown, Williams, and Self. WOW!!!!

Of course, Allen, Harp, and Owens weren't exactly hash, then there is Naismith himself. not a winner as coach but a winner as creator. The mind boggles when you contemplate these names and basketball. If you throw in proteges like Rupp and Smith and Miller you really get goose pimples.

JayHok 6 years, 10 months ago

As I recall in '86 we played national champion Louisville twice. Once during the NIT by chance and once in the regular season. Beat them both times. It was strange to meet Duke in the Final 4 that year. KU and Duke were the two best teams and should have been paired for the championship. Would have benefitted us greatly to get a warm up game against Louisville before taking on Duke. We were so rigid and cold and we still lost only in the last minute.

JayhawkRock78 6 years, 10 months ago

I was at Reunion Arena in 86. Archie Marshall was clobered on a lay-up that tore up his knee, and NO CALL! That would have helped us win against Duke. Agreed, we could have/would have won that one. And yes, 97 still stings. We had everything we needed, just missed a few plays and lost to Arizona.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 10 months ago

Best KU team I've seen since I started following in '90 was that '97 team.

34-1 w/ only loss in double-overtime on a fluke loose ball at Columbia?!?!? Still mad at the lack of calls on the hacks by Bibby, Simon, Dickerson, et al. on the "steals" they got.

COJHawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Saw this on ESPN's Men's BBall "Rumors" section:

Since Tarik Black announced that he was transferring from Memphis last week, several schools have emerged as possible landing spots. Here's more on that.

Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com tweeted last week that Duke, Kansas, Marquette, Miami, Tennessee, Florida State, UMass, and 20 others have shown interest in senior big man, per his AAU coach Eric Robinson. One of those others appears to be Minnesota, which is looking for a one-year fix in its frontcourt to soften the blow of of Trevor Mbakwe's departure.

If Tarik Black walked past me today, I wouldn't know who he was and couldn't tell you the first thing about his game. That said, HCBS said he was looking for "immediate impact" from another recruit or two for next year. This guy qualifies with the "already graduated-->can play right away as a senior" clause. Does anyone see this as possible? Positive?

rockchalkchalkin23 6 years, 10 months ago

self is 0-2 in the Champions Classic. self's 10 years at KU has ended early with BAD losses, 50% of the time. Buck, Brad, UNI, VCU, Mich.

From Wiki on Oral Roberts men's basketball under 1997 NIT

Oral Roberts advanced to Division I postseason play for the first time since 1983-84 and the first time as the Golden Eagles. With the leadership of four seniors and the impressive play of junior sensation shooting guard Tim Gill, Head Coach Bill Self led his team to a postseason berth for the first time under his direction in the fourth and last season of his tenure as head coach. (cont) ORU went into the game with wins in 12 of its last 13 games, but whatever the reason, the Golden Eagles did not show up to play against the Fighting Irish. Notre Dame only led by six at the half (35-29), but extended its lead to as many as 18 points in the second period (74-56 at 0:15) and ended up winning by 16, 74-58. Gill still led all scorers in the contest with 21 points.

JayHok 6 years, 10 months ago

Interesting during these types of discussions there's not more KU fans that present a balanced argument. During the ten years being discussed Kentucky has been to two NIT's. Lost in both. First round as a 1 seed once. UNC has been to at least two NIT's during this time. Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, UNC, Indiana have all had multiple so called "embarrassing" losses during the last decade. Butler has made the championship game twice. The playing field has leveled people! The old arguments against KU really hold no validity anymore. Those losses didn't make us happy and I would agree that they could have been avoided. But EVERY program has these! The last dagger to any troll who continues to make fun of KU for Bucknell or any other loss was put down when looking at the last 10 years of NCAA play. KU is #1 there. The few heartbreaking losses we have should bug us but let's keep in mind 67 teams a year have their heart broken. All schools have these but no one has done better in the NCAA consistently than KU in the last ten years. That's a hard fact for trolls to accept. RCJ

Tim Orel 6 years, 10 months ago

Michigan wasn't a "bad loss". Sure it was losing the lead right at the end, but Michigan was ranked #1 earlier in the year - the week KU was ranked #2, and for much of the year UM was in the top 10 and were doing so in the country's toughest conference. They weren't a surprise team. It was a sudden loss, but look at how Michigan treated Florida and they played Louisville close - Michigan was on a roll. For what's a "bad loss" you have other examples. Teams that beat KU and then lost the next game - there I'd say perhaps KU lost to someone they shouldn't have, and I'd definitely feel that way about UNI and the two B's. VCU was on a roll and they were a Final Four team after KU. Michigan made it to the Championship game. Those weren't, imo "bad losses". VCU was a game KU should have won, but with Michigan, the better team, the one that wanted it more and had just-as-talented players, that team won.

rockchalkchalkin23 6 years, 10 months ago

From Wikipedia on Brad Stevens under Coaching Style

According to Stevens, in one of his first games as head coach, he was nervous and "felt like our team played on edge" because of it.[80] He decided that a team's play will reflect the mood of its coach; a calm coach means a team that will remain poised in difficult game situations, while a nervous coach means a team that plays on edge. "I don’t want to lose a game because of my approach," he told himself.

Stevens' teams are built around solid basketball fundamentals and good team work, rather than individual basketball skill.[50] His teams are known for their defense, forcing opponents into uncharacteristic mistakes.

Same system, better coaching.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 10 months ago

So Self comes off as "nervous"? I don't see that.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 10 months ago

Ok .. I like Brad Stevens. But are you suggesting that he's a better coach than Bill Self?

Sam Constance 6 years, 10 months ago

That's exactly what he's suggesting. He and KULA were doing it over on the article about EJ's and Releford's play in the Invitational too.

Because they have no sense of context.

The thing that really gets me is the suggestion that the players playing without any nervousness is somehow a result of coaching style, rather than the fact that playing with a 1-4 seed every single postseason breeds a sort of pressure that simply doesn't exist at Butler.

Butler making the tournament regularly is seen as a major achievement, given their mid-major status. That means for almost every single game they play in the postseason, they get to play with no pressure--a loss is what was expected to happen. Compare that to playing in the postseason at Kansas, where even losses in the Elite Eight are lamented for years after they happen as complete failures or bad losses. The only situation where KU can lose in the tournament and not have ignorant fans like rockchalkchalkin23 go on their season-ending rant is when we do it in the Final Four or later, and to a team that is highly seeded.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

Although I think we have the right coach I don't think calling someone ignorant is warranted just because they have a different opinion.

I still don't even like talking about that last game. Immediately after the game, I put it all on EJ. After a few days, I blamed it on HCBS. Now I give Michigan some credit but overall, it was a team loss by Kansas. Like Memphis, we let it get away.

There are times when I think being a Jayhawk fan can be pretty tough. We have had some really bad losses in the tournament. It happened under both Roy and Bill. I went to Kansas during the end of the Ted Owens era and it's easy to forget that we were having some really bad years and the NCAA tournament wasn't even a possibility.

Now we have had an unbelievable period of success under three consecutive coaches. Should we have won more than two NCAAs? Absolutely BUT before that period, we only had one championship. I think HCBS will win at least one more at Kansas and more likely two but until it's done, there are no givens.

I think next year's recruiting class could be the best ever at Kansas. That's what I focus on now. If they fulfill their potential and stick around for at least two years, they have everything it takes to be a championship team in the near future.

yates33333 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't think he called him ignorant because of a different opinion, I think he may have understood the meaning of ignorant, i.e., "Uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field."

Stevens may be a better coach than Self in 20 years, but he is not right now. Self has won a national championship and 9 straight league titles in a big time conference. Granted the ACC and Big East may have been better during the last ten years but the Big 12 was pretty good some of those years and several teams Texas, Missery, Oklahoma State had some really good teams when KU won or tied the championships.

Do you realize anyone can write the entries in Wikipedia. The PR man for Butler could have written Stevens entry. It isn't clear who did. I thought the over the top comment was that some people compare Stevens to Coach Wooden!!! I guess they are/were both from the state of Indiana.

Sam Constance 6 years, 10 months ago

Wanting Brad Stevens to coach KU isn't ignorant. That is an opinion.

The ignorance comes from this slanted view of events/accomplishments that allows someone to rationalize Brad Stevens as a "better" coach than Bill Self. Thinking that Stevens' is better at making his players less nervous because of some cherry-picked collection of "high pressure" games is ignorant in that it relies on only part of the picture to draw a conclusion. And being unable to contextualize the difference between playing as a top four seed vs. playing as a five seed or lower (Butler's highest seed EVER is a 5 seed) is ignorance.

rockchalkchalkin23 and KULA are welcome to their opinions, which seem to be based--in part--on a lack of knowledge about the subject matter, but having an opinion and being informed are two different things

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 10 months ago

I would assume Jeff Withey for the Danny Manning award. Slight chance to Releford.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 10 months ago

If I had a vote for the Mr. Jayhawk award it would go to Travis Releford. He's been comitted to KU for what seems like a decade. He sacrificed personally for the betterment of the team, he never took the spotlight, he was arguably the most consistent player of the team for the entire season (though Withey may have been more consistent later in the season), he stayed positive and was a leader both vocally and by example, he worked his tail off for 5 years getting better the whole time, he will graduate, and the team would not be Big 12 champions and possibly would have struggled to make the NCAA tourney without him.

Withey has a strong case too, but I would vote with Withey as team MVP and give the Mr. Jayhawk love to Rele.

I don't know what all awards are awarded at the hoops banquet, but McLemore should get an award to. If not Mr. Jayhawk or team MVP, there should be an award for BMac, even if the coaching staff has to make one up to fit him.

Tim Orel 6 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Clutch shot, shared with the Prophet for their shots against Iowa State.

JayhawkRock78 6 years, 10 months ago

80, I wish they could both get it.

JayHok, I love Self, and think we have the best of the best. And I love our players. I do expect them to deliver in March. I just hate the way we lost to Michigan. It was a perfect storm, just like it was for us when we tied Memphis in regulation in 2008. All we need is one play in the last minute to win against Michigan in regulation.

JayHok 6 years, 10 months ago

Agree. I think we all feel that way. All I'm saying is a little reality check might be in order for the Missouri fans who post here when KU was ranked #1 in the last ten years for NCAA play. Doesn't mean the losses don't hurt. Several national championships gift wrapped for other programs over the years. That's partially why 2008 was so sweet winning the only final four with four #1's.

Vincent Patterson 6 years, 10 months ago

First of all, for any Kansas fan to say that we'd be better off with a different coach at this point is ridiculous. Now, I won't sit here and say that I have always felt like that. After the Bucknell and Bradley losses, I was one of the main dudes calling for his head. Especially when I heard that the team hadn't even seen any tape of Bradley prior to the game! WTH??? Anyways, Bill HAS evolved and grown since then and he's easily among the top 5 best coaches in the game today(college). That being said, I am still puzzled why he feels he could not benefit from watching tournament losses. There's 10 players on the court and I don't care how great of a coach he is, he's only got two eyes so he can't possibly see everything! Surely SOMETHING can be learned and mentally filed away for use in future tournament games and situations by watching the game a time or two. Like I said, puzzling philosophy to me, but I am not a D1 coach making millions of dollars a year because I win so much either.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 10 months ago

I know I have indicated above that this is a sports board and not English 101, but seriously...
All I get from your post is that your writing level matches your basketball knowledge.

Jack Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh, what a short and limited memory you have. I can't think of ANY sports team (college basketball, in this context) about whom it couldn't, or wouldn't be said ~ even by themselves ~ that "there areas that need improving." So, I guess your "We all agree" opening is correct ~ unfortunately, that's about the only thing in your post that is. And your closing ~ "They don't look at KU as a top notch team anymore." ~ is the perfect ending proof. It seems your "name" could use some rework.

REHawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Well, it is going to take more time for that Michigan loss to fade away. Tonight's banquet marks a touch of closure. Then after the late June NBA draft we can really focus on hopes for 2013-14 success. Frankamp, Greene, Selden, Mason and (esp.) Embiid are beginning to pump my adrenalin for the upcoming season. I've little doubt that the coaching staff will land an experienced player or two by August. If Wiggins or a Decommit should happen to sign, our minds will leap to positive mode again, with hope springing eternal. I wish the very best now, for Ben Mac and the departing seniors who have wrought so much joy for the Jayhawk Nation. Those 30 wins and league titles are golden.

Hoosierhawkfan 6 years, 10 months ago

I see Travis Releford scoring the Mr. Jayhawk award. Good luck Travis!!

Kye Clark 6 years, 10 months ago

This upcoming Friday is the Barnstormers game here in Wichita. So excited for that. For any out there unfamiliar, every year the KU seniors travel around and play a few exhibition games around the state. There's also an autograph session before the game, and at half-time a pretty cool auction (although I never have enough money for anything). Last year was a pretty big let-down, as Tyshawn didn't show up (after the event planners had re-scheduled once to accommodate his schedule. I could understand him having better things to do with NBA workouts and all, but just say you're not coming. Anyway...) but this year should be awesome. Even if only half of the seniors are able to make it, should be really cool. Also there are usually lots of WSU players in the game. In some of the previous years it was just to fill out the rosters, but lately they've been putting on as much of a show as the KU guys. Joe Ragland & Toure Murry were pretty impressive. Anyway, one last chance to see the guys play together.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 10 months ago

Since everyone seems to be so obsessed about the improper spelling of Wayne Selden's name, why don't we just come up with the traditional nickname already and eliminate the need for spelling the last name?

any suggestions?

texashawk10 6 years, 10 months ago

Rivals updated their rankings today and Wayne Selden and Joel Embiid are now both 5 star players according to Rivals. Selden is now no. 12, Embiid is 25th, Brannen Greene is now 29th, Connor Frankamp is now 34th, and Frank Mason made a huge jump and is up to 76th and is now a 4 star player. Mason's previous rank was 131st so he jumped up 55 spots in this updated ranking.

Michael Bratisax 6 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the update. This just helps confirm my opinion that this class has the potential to be the best class in KU history.

I really hope that everyone will stick around for at least two years. Probably won't happen but fingers crossed.