Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Nice guy McLemore must beware frauds who come with fame

Kansas guard Ben McLemore smiles next to head coach Bill Self after saying that he will miss Self during a news conference in which McLemore declared his intention to enter the 2013 NBA Draft. Nick Krug/Journal-World Photo

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self’s recent talks with mega-talent Ben McLemore can help him more than anything the coach ever taught him about the game they love. Self alluded during Tuesday’s news conference to his message for the red-shirt freshman from St. Louis.

“Ben’s the most talented kid I’ve ever worked with and he may be the nicest kid I’ve ever worked with and I don’t say that strictly as a positive,” Self said.

The pool into which McLemore is about to plunge is rife with jewels. And jewel thieves.

“He’s hungry, he’s so many things, but one thing he can’t be is everything to everybody,” Self said.

He can’t be everybody’s piggy bank.

“He needs to be true to himself and his family and that’s it,” Self said.

McLemore must learn to say no to “friends” and ask himself: Would a true friend put me in a position to say no when he knows it doesn’t come easily to me?

Once it became obvious that McLemore’s blend of outrageous explosiveness, smooth movements and ever-so-soft shooting touch made him a multi-millionaire in waiting, you can bet he met cousins he never knew he had. If friends from long ago haven’t wormed their way back into his life, that doesn’t mean they have stopped trying. If someone pushes for him to select a particular agent, he or she very likely is getting paid to do so.

Quoting song lyrics generally is best left to high school graduation speakers, but a rare exception is appropriate. Folk singer Joni Mitchell, a poet with a pretty voice and a soul to match, wrote at the age of 24 “Both Sides Now,” a song first recorded by Judy Collins. (The best version is Mitchell’s accompanied by a muted trumpet and an orchestra on the revision of the album “Clouds” in 2000.)

“Old friends, they’re acting strange,” sings sweet Joni from Saskatoon (Neil Young’s nickname for her). “They shake their heads and they tell me that I’ve changed. Well, something’s lost but something’s gained in living every day.”

Lose those who would like to become your posse, Ben, and gain comfort in knowing the coaches and academic counselors you thanked by name always will be there for you to help you to stand on your own, not to form a circle around you to stay forever within reach of your pockets.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 3 months ago

Does this writer lecture every KU athlete who leaves to go to bigger and better places? This isn't anybodys business other than those close to Ben.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 3 months ago

I also don't agree with this article. It comes off as condescending.

Mick Allen 1 year, 3 months ago

You confuse condescending with compassionate. The fact that HCBS said Ben is one of the nicest kids he has ever coached, and that is not all positive, underscores his concern that Ben's personality and desire to be liked by all can lead to his being taken advantage of by family and so called friends. HCBS's comment was the motivation for Tom's article, which was a sincere and thoughtful expression of his, and all KU fans wish that Ben succeed and that the beneficiaries of that success are those that he holds most dear. Your cavalier response is inappropriate and unfounded.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

Sixty percent of NBA basketball players are broke five years after their careers are over. I'm citing a USA today article of 2009 or 2010, so I am in complete agreement with babyphog. Yet, if the NBA has nothing in place for their players, like a mandatory savings plan, then it shows how truly little they care for those who provide their livings.

What good for the goose is good for the gander. I'm a teacher, and 29 years ago, when I had 40 bucks a month pulled out of my check for KPERS retirement, I howled like a baby. I ain't howlin' now. I'd like to see something like this (4%) or so set aside mandatorily for NBA players. They would certainly appreciate it 20 years from now and beyond.

jayhawk_4_life2 1 year, 3 months ago

Just watch the espn video called "Broke" or listen to the Marcus Dupree story!!!

What don't you agree with in the article???

The cautionary warning of how the world is FULL of greedy people? or telling BMac to use the people who were there for him when he had nothing not the people who came around whenn he will have everything???

What is your problem with the article?

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

Dupree looked like the greatest football player and possibly athlete, I've ever seen.

Aaron Carpenter 1 year, 3 months ago

Do you just read articles to find issues? It was a good article, discussing something that is unfortunately common with these guys.

hawk316 1 year, 3 months ago

I disagree that Keegan's article is condescending. Rather, I view it as cautionary. BMac is the type of kid, it appears (since I don't know him personally), who might be taken advantage of big time. He should be very careful who he allows into his inner circle and, hopefully, will surround himself with wise and caring mentors who are concerned with his well-being.

"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm." (Proverbs 13:20)

KUSHELLY 1 year, 3 months ago

Insert picture of Sherron Collins and his posse!!! - "but a companion of fools suffers harm"

gojhawx 1 year, 3 months ago

I disagree, and like so many others I would hate to see Ben have a stellar NBA career and then be bankrupt 2 or 3 years later. And being too nice of a guy may very well help bring that kind of outcome. I know I certainly hope for nothing but the best for Ben, he deserves it.

webtoe 1 year, 3 months ago

Funny... I was thinking the same thing as I read this article. I'm surprised the writer didn't include the statistic that shows the percentage of ALL professional athletes, who by the end of their career, are bankrupt. As far as Coach Self's comment about Ben being "the most talented guy...and the nicest, too" that he's ever coached, I believe is a sincere one. However, keep in mind that "nice guy Ben" just told Jayhawk Nation he was entering the draft, which certainly disappointed (selfishly) many fans, but is proof positive that Ben can say "No" to people who adore him. I think "nice guy Ben" knows how to do what is best for him. Although I wish he'd play for KU another year, I am happy for him and the decision he made to play in the NBA.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

You sure got it wrong. The overwhelming majority of real KU fans would not dream of asking him to stay and not place his family and future first. So, in reality he has not said not to his fans, he has followed the advice given to him by those that know him best and have his best interest in mind; that has been the easy part.
The hard part is saying no to friends and relatives, close and distant, some of which he has known for long time and that now think they have won the lottery and expect Ben to be their piggy bank. This is what the article was about and not about saying "no" to fans. Any fan that thinks Ben was selfish in his decision should look in the mirror and he will see who the selfish party really is...maybe this what you were trying to say?

webtoe 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh... you're right! That is what I was trying to say. Exactly!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

No, but it wouldn't hurt if he did, Keetie.

As slayr has rightly pointed out the past year, many a young man needs a lot of help to keep from getting fleeced in the L.

master16 1 year, 3 months ago

lecture? that hardly sounded like a lecture to me. more like advice. and how is it no one's business to give good advice? it's not like we haven't seen bad money management before from celebrities or sports stars.

Jonathan Andrews 1 year, 3 months ago

Well put, Keegan. I don't often say that, so enjoy this comment.

RJ King 1 year, 3 months ago

When an athlete accepts a full ride scholarship from a public university it kind of becomes everyone's business. The subject is fair game for all. I love Ben. We all love Ben! Keegan is just trying to capture the protective instincts in all of us. He states the obvious, and then moves on to Joni Mitchell. Give him a break - it's a slow Wednesday.

If we're talking agents and hustling, how about Mitchells' ode to David Geffen with "Free Man in Paris" lyrics? "Both Sides Now" is a great song, but can't listen to "Case of You" without Kleenex.

Do you s'pose Keegan was just tryin' to get the conversation going while we await the Wiggins annoucement?

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

I hope Ben doesn't share your opinion of privacy. If Ben wanted fans to not care about his business he should have went somewhere with a less passionate fan base and definitely not go to the NBA. He is going to be a paid entertainer now the time for privacy is 10-15 years down the road, but if Ben excels in the league forget about any form of privacy for decades.

mojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Keeg, this is good fatherly advice. I hope and pray that every young man in Ben's shoes receives the same counsel. There are a lot of people out there wanting to ride the coat tail of someone like Ben. I wish the very best for you, Ben. We all enjoyed watching you play this year!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe that we all should look out for one another. Nothing wrong with this article at all.

TXChalker 1 year, 3 months ago

Ask Vince Young what an uncle can do for you! Ben, hopefully, will pick someone who will look out for his best interests and those of his family he so wants to provide for. Good advice here and hopefully what he has already heard from all the coaches. Good Luck Ben.

tis4tim 1 year, 3 months ago

... and if you play "Maybe I'm Amazed" backwards, you'll find a recipe for a ripping lentil soup.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Man that is old school Simpsons and I love it.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 3 months ago

Good advice, and I hope Ben follows it. The biggest concern I have with kids like Ben jumping to the NBA is that they aren't mature enough to handle the pressure or wise enough to handle the money. The fact Coach Self alluded to it in the press conference yesterday makes me even more concerned. I wish the NCAA would spend a little time and effort preparing these kids, but it's all about money. Let's hope Ben manages his money wisely, and continues to consult people like Coach Self that he can trust.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 3 months ago

The NBA does hold a mandatory Rookie Transition Program, which is essentially what the NFL holds with their Rookie Syposium. These initiatives are used to teach young athletes about a wide array of issues that they are likely to encounter with money, sex, and drugs. Unfortunately, many players don't take it seriously. Take Beasley, Chalmers, and Darrell Arthur, for example.

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

The long-term aspect can be the killer. An agent or advisor who won't accept annual reviews of his performance and five-year agreements is simply admitting he is more concerned with his own bottom line than he is with his client's.

tical523 1 year, 3 months ago

Charles Barkley did not say it so eloquently or PC but same point.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Ben, as you move onward and upward, I feel assured that your game will come, and that you will eventually arrive as a professional star. Tom Keegan and Coach Self have voiced my biggest concern for you, the money thing. You are a nice humble young man, already graced with a bevy of friends. I hope you are able to treasure your earnings, find sound investment advice, choose a dependable agent from the getgo. It is a given that the hounds of want and need will be barking at your heels. I hope for you the very best of all possible good things. You are engaged not yet even midway into a very intriguing life story. Thanks for sharing these two years and a future lifetime with Jayhawk Basketball.

RockChalk26 1 year, 3 months ago

Although this is sound advice, BMac needs to have a sit down with Herm Edwards. Herm will tell him like it is.

bville_hawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Good column, better advice. I hope Ben reads it and heeds it.

KemDooKU 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Ben I am your uncle three times removed - you play really good ...... Now can I have some money!!!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Both Ends Now

(apologies to the great Joni Mitchell)

Rows and rows of alumni squares And pie eyed journos putting on airs And preying cougars everywhere I've looked at ball that way

But now it's only dunk and run And shoot the trey and guard someone So many things I was saved from Cause round ball came my way I've looked at ball from both ends now

From tip to end, and still somehow It's ball's amusements I recall I really don't know ball at all

Plays and ways new stuff unreels The windmill flying dunk you feel As ev'ry crunch time shot comes real I've looked at ball that way

But now it nears the end of the game You leave 'em laughing all the same And since you care, don't let them know Don't give yourself away

I've looked at ball from both ends now From guard and break and still somehow It's ball's amusements I recall I really don't know ball at all

Years and years of grabbing bounds To say "I love it" right out loud Dreams and schemes and cheering crowds I've looked at ball that way

But now old friends are acting strange They shake their heads, they say Its changed That something's lost, but something's gained In playing it new each day

I've looked at ball from both ends now From tip to end and still somehow It's ball's amusements I recall I really don't know ball at all I've looked at ball from both ends now From tip to end, and still somehow It's ball's amusements I recall I really don't know ball at

Rodney Atkinson 1 year, 3 months ago

Well, well said Jaybate.

Wishing nothing but good fortunes and a very long, healthy and prosperous career.

Thank you for the wonderful memories, your exceptioal attitude and work ethic, and the quality representation of your school and your family.

God and Jayhawk nation truly love you.

I never missed a game and I will deeply miss your great attitude and wonderful smile.

RJ King 1 year, 3 months ago

Loved this jaybate! No apologies to TGJM necessary. In fact, she states:

"So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty

Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true

There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty

Before the last revolving year is through."

Here's to your next verse in The Circle Game, B-Mac.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Thx and keep faith, Bay. Things have a way of working out for the best, whether it is what we realize is best at the time, or not.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

Keggs must be about our age JB, to make reference to Collins & Mitchell. Think he was at Woodstock? Only song either ever recorded that I cared for was an Ian tyson song called "Someday Soon", which was re-recorded by Suzy Boguss decades later, IMO much better. Was my sweatheart's fav when we were kids. She was a damn good looking barrel racer & I a no account cowboy, at least to her folks. Funny how just the mention of a couple of names jogs the nog. After all the friggin debacles with these Jaybirds this year I'm "ready for pastures to change." Know I don't need to explain that, or give the author either. Later JB, I'll be hit & miss for a couple of months at least. Still have soap mouth from the MU game-hell, I still have it from the VCU game 3 yrs ago. Will still prob read the JW most days, but will be out & about while the sun still shines. Life is good, take care.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

GJ, We are stardust, we are golden. :-)

Have a great off season recharging your batteries.

But be ready to return to Planet Dunk!

Timothy Rake 1 year, 3 months ago

I sang they WHOLE thing to myself. Nice, jbate

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Thx. It is an amazing song the way it persists in mind!

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

How old are you, 90? (kidding).

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

So old I understand Henry Miller's lust for Brenda Venus!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

You never run out of material. I love what you bring to this Board JB. Thanks for sharing.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Surely there is someone in the Jayhawk network who is honest and can help advise Ben in making good decisions. He needs a good financial adviser first. There is a crook behind every door and Ben needs to understand that, including agents. Maybe Mario Chalmers or maybe someone Bill Self could suggest would be a smart thing. I would hate to see this young man be taken advantage of. He already has enough stress in his life with relatives in jail.

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

Here's wishing you the best, Ben. Surround yourself with the family and friends that have always been there for you and you will do great. You will always be a Jayhawk and have the support of the Jayhawk Nation.

741hawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I would hope that "personal finance" would be a part of the coursework for all athletes and that they get some professional counseling (approved by the coaches) on how to handle their money. How well would any of us have handled a $15+ million dollar windfall at age 20? Now, add the environment into which Ben is going to be thrust. There is reason to be concerned.

KUbsee69 1 year, 3 months ago

Absolutly correct.

The unfortunate part is that to many people Ben's age, a $12M - $15M guarantee looks incredibly large. It really is not.

After taxes, agent's and manager's fees, and other business related expenses, let's say they Net $5M.

OK, let's take current economic investment returns and projected inflation and spending. Let's assume most will buy nice homes, cars, toys, etc right off. Then, monthly expenses for themselves, family, possee, etc of let's say $10K.

The reality says that the $12M to $15M will last a maximum of 30 - 35 years. OK, Ben's 20 ... so he could be totally broke by the time he's 50 - 55.

Sure, his earning potential is more ... but there are no guarantees. So, as Keegan says, I just hope Ben and others like him realize this and handle it wisely.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

KUbsee -- you are completely wrong. at $12 million guarantee is extremely large. The net after taxes and a 3-5% agent fee is a sum anyone can live off of the rest of their lives.

The key is proper investment and preservation of the money. You assume he can't make any money off of his money.

Let's say he's down to a total of $7 million net. Say $1 million for real estate (a house). Say $500,000 to just waste. And $1.5 million kept in cash or cash equivalents.

The balance .. $4 million at 5% per year which is easily obtainable with a mix of .bonds, dividend stocks, etc. That's $200,000 per year to live off of without even touching the principal.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

You guys are both right. HEM, if either the player is as smart as you or at least smart enough to hire a legit accountant then yes, $12 million is more than enough.

But most kids don't have the maturity or the foresight to deal with such a large sum. They take care of their family, friends, hanger-ons and of course they need the car, the bling and everything else that see their peers owning and it's gone.

How much money did Mike Tyson lose? I've heard at least $300 million. MC Hammer went through 40+ million dollars. It seems impossible but it happens to a lot of people who get rich overnight. From lottery winners, sports figures, musicians.. Well you know where I'm going.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

This is an area where past players in the league or Europe need to really spend time with recruits like Ben. I think Simeon would be excellent for this part as the team chaplain, especially since he has been in the league. Others could come back or offer their experience since entering/ed the NBA, ie. Pierce, Chalmers, Rush, Pollard, Twins, and especially Collison. I think Pierce, Langford, Collison, Pollard, and Simeon would be your best vets to handle this issue. They are older, mature, and been around the league to watch many players "wash" out financially. I think of Pierce who watched Antoine Walker go completely bankrupt. These kids get entourages and throw money away unnecessarily. Perhaps Self could encourage KU and Bernadette to institute a class for athletes that explore and teach these kids issues concerning their collegiate careers and their professional careers. Maybe they do and we just don't hear about it. I think it could fulfill a business class requirement. Jewels and jewel thieves are appropriate terms indeed. Ben is very affable too, good kid. But this could encourage kids to manage their wealth wisely and prepare for the pitfalls of the "thieves."

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

DMan too, but thought that was obvious. He does have his own program now.

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

Manning would be great for advice. I feel like Jacque Vaughn has a great head on his shoulders too.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Yeah- Vaughn would be good too. Thinking of that group or team, Ostertag would be a good resource too.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

My first thoughts turned toward D. Manning in respect to advice for the likes of Ben. If Danny ever tires of the ratrace of coaching, I imagine that he might do well as a social and financial advisor, perhaps also an "agent advisor," for NBA draftees.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Speaking of past players that entered the league, has anyone heard from La Frentz? Good grief, the guy is MIA. Last I heard, he owned half the land in Iowa.

always_correct 1 year, 3 months ago

This article is inappropriate and bordering on racist. Save your advice for your personal conversations with others, Keegan.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 3 months ago

Can you help me understand what is borderline racist about this article? I honestly don't see it. Is it the use of the word Posse? I'm serious. I don't see how this is remotely inappropriate or racist.

The way I see it Ben just won the lottery. How many horror stories have we heard through the years of lottery winners who mismanaged their money, or had friends and family suddenly come out of the woodwork looking for a piece of the pie? You could easily apply Keegan's advice to any of those situations. In other words, his advice not only transcends race, it transcends basketball.

What am I missing?

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

jaybate Sports Network presents:

KUSPORTS.COM PLAYHOUSE

(Note: The following transcript of a one act podplay is provided consistent with all the fake laws concerning fake transcripts for fake pod plays presented by fake networks.)

ACT I: BAR--INTERIOR

Tom KeeganPrime: "Make that Bushmills a double."

never_always_correct: "KeeganPrime, that's borderline racist."

Tom KeeganPrime: "How about a cup of tea then, eh, lad?"

never_always_correct: "What are you a member of the KKK?"

Tom KeeganPrime: "And I've been a good Catholic all these years just to be called a racist by a numbskull for wanting a double Bushmills."

never_always_correct: "Why you flipping racist. Everything you say is racist. Why you're worse than jaybate. He's a racist and a communist and a terrorist and a John Bircher. He may even have been involved with Oswald and JLost in that Fair Play for Cuba thing that Jim Garrison investigated in New Orleans once upon a time. And worst of all, jaybate likes kosher hot dogs with ranch dressing!"

Tom KeeganPrime: "Well, jaybate is an annoyance, but he's none of those other things. Well, maybe he eats mayonaisse with his hotdogs."

never_always_correct: "Well there's no doubt that that is the most racist comment I've ever read. What are you, Keegan? A bigot?

Tom KeeganPrime: "Well, of course not. Do you have a screw loose, or something?"

never_always_correct: "Screw loose? Racists always say those kinds of things."

Tom KeeganPrime : May I remind you of an old Irish proverb?

never_always_correct: "If its not racist."

Tom KeeganPrime: "God is good, but never dance in a small boat."

never_always_correct: [This comment has been removed for being in violation of the user agreement.]

Tom KeeganPrime: [This comment has been removed for being in violation of the user agreement.] And stay there!

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Man, how I love a good old fashioned claim of racism. Without it, I wonder how so many could explain life's failures.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

Here's your counterbalance: Bernie Kosar.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Decided this isn't the forum for my response. 'Nuff said.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

Sooooooooo don't listen to past friends and family members but do listen to small town journalist? Personally, it's his money and he can do whatever he wants with it.

bad_dog 1 year, 3 months ago

Sounds like you've wasted a lot of good advice in your time...

Max Ledom 1 year, 3 months ago

Keegs isn't going to be the one asking for money.

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 3 months ago

Keegan, not sure if you read all these posts or not but if so, I'd be interested in you doing an article on Raef Lafrentz and why he never returns to Lawrence. He's arguably one of the five best college players to ever put the KU jersey on yet he's never to be found at reunion games or Legends of Phog games. I've never understood this. I know he's very private and is just enjoying being a farmer in Iowa but it just seems odd to never see him back in Allen Fieldhouse. Is it Wilt Chamberlain Syndrom (too much pain from not winning a title) or what?

Anyway, that's completely separate from this article but thought if you saw it, you might be able to address it at some point. Would just be curious to know the reason.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Raef is reputedly waiting till the cows come home.

Uh, no.

Seriously, that's a great question.

Raef, get your Carhartt clad butt down here and let us now praise famous bigs.

And remember, Mr. LaFrentz.

If you milk it, they will come.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

And while you're sending out invites to come home, I haven't heard Cedric Hunter's name mentioned in years. Where? What's doin'? etc.

notjustbread 1 year, 3 months ago

Hope he has a career like Ray Allen's but that is a tall order.

johnkelso 1 year, 3 months ago

I've read many of these comments and I think people forget we've got one of the best financial advisers as an alumni, David Booth.

Be nice if Ben could spend some time with Mr.Booth before draft day.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 3 months ago

As I think about Ben and the defensive perfection of Releford and Withey, I'm reminded of another Joni song that Jayhawks sing every year...

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til its gone."

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

This is NOT about Ben, but about many people who are, or have been in his position:

For the love of money People will steal from their mother

For the love of money People will rob their own brother

For the love of money People can't even walk the streets Because they'll never know who in the world they're gonna beat For that mean, oh mean, mean green

Almighty Dollar!

Cash Money

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

A guy put a gun to my head for a disposable camera on Bourbon Street! I hear that loud and clear leaf!

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

Steve Martin was right when he observed that people often criticize what they don't know about. The NBA bankrupt rate is staggering. I think that Keegan's writing is more of a lament than it is advice. Those who say it's his money are stating the obvious. Those of you who say he needs financial advice are stating the obvious times 10.

A friend once told me this, "A sudden advance of wealth doesn't change the person. It magnifies who the person is." No one here can predict what will come of Ben, but it is all too common to see lottery winners without a dime to their names. Note, that this fact escapes demographic tendencies with the exception of those who have been poor. Their failure rate is much higher.

Jeffrey Nelson 1 year, 3 months ago

I saw so many comments about people giving him advice on how to handle his money on the announcement post. This is just ridiculous.

It's his business what he does with his money. This is a sleazy and exploitative article with no other purpose than generating comments.

Guess it worked.

spenc1324 1 year, 3 months ago

I think Paul pierce would be an excellent person to talk to him he's been in the league for a very long time he's signed multiple big money contracts and has never been in the media for money or entourage problems (minus the stabbing incident) and the dudes from Compton so you know he had people pullin at his pockets too I would ask him how he was successful keeping those people away

mikehawk 1 year, 3 months ago

The one and done has to go. Could Ben benefit from one or two more years? Could Xavier? Selby? Of course. At this stage of development, particularly emotional development, one or two years makes all of the difference in the world. But...we complain about the selfish family and friends who want a piece. Guess what? Look in the mirrow Mikehawk and fellow KU fan bloggers. How many of us want Ben to stay for our own selfish reasons? My hand is up! They have got to figure this thing out, and it will take the school presidents, I'm afraid. So they tell me, there are good, reputable agents. I would almost trust them more than family. You just have to find out who they are and get to them asap. I would assume the League has a list of ones on their "recommended" list, and another list of "avoid" or "questionable" or "no information." I agree, Ben does seem a bit naive with a big heart who wants to help his family. Have him sit down in a room with his immediate family and watch the ESPN 30 for 30 called "Broke" at least 3 times. Good luck, Ben. We will miss your game. But more than that, we will miss your humility, your respect for elders, and easy style.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Jay Bilas said right before the final four started that college basketball is "professional sports run by amateurs". I think he is exactly right. I don't know the answers on how to fix this ridiculous system the NCAA has set up for college basketball but I do know that it isn't working very well as it is.

Jackster 1 year, 3 months ago

I think the biggest financial issue for BMac to adjust to (after covering his family's basic food and housing needs, which it seems he intends to do and is also the driving factor behind him leaving now) will be the "keeping up with the Jones' " syndrome in the NBA. And the Jones' in his soon to be new world make huge bucks!!! For my budget, that means having a nicer lawnmower than my jerk neighbor Joe next door....for BMac, that could mean a bigger house(s), flashier car(s), expensive vacations and jewelry.....and the list goes on and on......and the cash could be gone all too soon. I truly wish him the best and I will be one of his biggest fans as he takes this next huge step in his career. If he fails, maybe Self can hire him on his staff :)

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm grateful I have enough for my very modest appetites. I am even more grateful for the attitudes I grew up with – whatever I have, I have because I didn't spend it.

Greg Lux 1 year, 3 months ago

Congrats Ben ... I pray you stay healthy and reach your full potential.Many say money is the root of all evil and it can bring the worst friends, Family included. So help your family as you want to but beware of the hawk in the chicken house. Some of ones worst friends have your same last name. God Bless and good going in your journey to come.

Rock Chalk

ferdthemooncat 1 year, 3 months ago

Keegan's just sharing the lessons he's learned from his posse down at the IHOP.