Monday, April 8, 2013

KU guard Ben McLemore sets press conference for 2:30 p.m. Tuesday

Kansas guard Ben McLemore puts up a three against Texas Tech during the first half of the second round of the Big 12 tournament on Thursday, March 14, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Kansas redshirt freshman guard Ben McLemore — along with KU coach Bill Self — will address the media in a press conference at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

McLemore, who has not yet made an official announcement on his future, is projected as the No. 2 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft according to DraftExpress.com.

Comments

williammark 1 year ago

like Joyce explained I am stunned that someone able to get paid $9755 in four weeks on the computer. did you see this link http://www.bic5.com

OChawk 1 year ago

For the first time, I want a Hawk to leave early. He's ready and is in the position to help his family out of a pretty tough situation... it's a no-brainer! Go get your shine on in the league bro!

Vincent Patterson 1 year ago

BMac, go get that paper dude! You were a pleasure to watch and I wish you the best!

Vincent Patterson 1 year ago

akg, don't sleep on next year's team man. We have some very nice pieces coming in. While I look forward to Frankamp and Selden, I must say I am mostly intrigued by JoJo Embiid. Not too many 7 footers out there with that type of freakish athleticism. Between him and Lucas, we will still have our defensive presence in the paint! I only wish Manning was still here to see what he could do with him!! But for not playing but a year or so of organized ball, he looks very impressive!!! I guess modeling your game after Hakeem Olajuwon never hurts....Anyways, by the end of the year we will be a top 10 team and should make a decent run in the tourney. This is Kansas man!

big_john 1 year ago

An education must have been forgotten when attending college sports. Coaches push players out the door after one year and tell them they are the greatest. History will tell you that close to 70% will be bankrupt in ten years and no education to fall back on. At least this years class of seniors have or will graduate. One and done players are only here in hopes of the silver ring and to make the coach look brilliant if the player excels. I'll take a good education any day over a quick fortune.

gotmylimitofjhawks 1 year ago

Hail to the victors valiant, Hail to the conquering heroes, Hail, hail to Michigan, champions of the West!!!

colreader 1 year ago

Any way to watch it live/stream/free?

Xanthe Sherman Swan 1 year ago

I really hope he stays. Sure he has a sweet shot but can't dribble through traffic or pass the ball consistently well. He has more to learn. As for supporting his family, I get it but in this country, so terribly wrong to put that weight on a kids shoulders .

MountOreadCalifornia 1 year ago

Ben... the Jayhawk Nation will miss you. If you stay, however, your legacy will be magnified by your dedication and commitment to the traditions found only at KU. Say it's so Ben!!

afhlover 1 year ago

Ben's first responsibility is to develop as well as he can--NOT to his family. It's nice to know that kids feel that way, but he didn't put his brother in jail nor was he responsible for their being so many kids in the family. Sometimes there are circumstances that can't be avoided such as illness, death in the family, etc., but he needs to do what he wants to do for another year--enjoy the college experience and prepare for more success in the league..

jgkojak 1 year ago

He needs to go.

He owes it to his family and to himself.

He will be even a better player when all that is off his mind.

WindmillGIANT 1 year ago

Considering the ultimate financial fate of so many pro athletes (or literal lottery winners for that matter) and considering his family background, not only do I hope BMac has a great career, but I sincerely hope he finds a great financial planner and agent that help him handle helping his family without letting himself get sucked dry.

onceajhawkalwaysajhawk 1 year ago

I love this guy and want the very best for HIM....Why is he suppose to make his career decisions based on his family? He is just 21 years old for crying out loud! I hope Ben does what HE wants to do and whatever that is, God's speed young man!

David Hall 1 year ago

GOOD LUCK TO MR MCLEMORE

William Weissbeck 1 year ago

The very fine line trick in this game is to either draft (OK, sign) all the McD All-Americans (as UK), or sign guys that are just below the NBA radar and stick around to develop, as for Florida's back to back years. For KU, it was the luck of a bum knee that may have gotten us a championship. The pieces were all there this year, more so than with Xavier or Josh. But if Michigan can almost do it with 4 freshman, so can we.

Kent Wells 1 year ago

At least BMac got his "One Shining Moment"

KUGirl23 1 year ago

As much as I hate to say this, you don't usually hold a press conference to announce that you are staying. We love you Ben!! Good Luck!!

Jeff Soisson 1 year ago

Go Ben and Thank You! Take care of your family. Jayhawk Nation will always be grateful! And if you could possibly become a Miami Heat with Mario-priceless!!!

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 1 year ago

If he thinks he needs to make money immediately then he should go to the NBA. If he wants to have a better career then he should stay at KU for one more year. Look at Jared Sullinger, after 2011 he was projected as a top-5 pick, then he stayed and the next year went number 21, and ended up having a much better career than he would have had if he would have been a one and done.

MinorThreat 1 year ago

"Headed to the NBA, I'll be great"

kay_you 1 year ago

Best one and done we've had and I hope he tears up the NBA but do you really have to hold a press conference. Just announce it without the theatre.

Beau Woolsey 1 year ago

Isaiah Thomas starting point guard for Sacramento 60th pick in 2011 nba draft

kayjku 1 year ago

Good luck, B-Mac! Thanks for the memories!!

trathke 1 year ago

Ben McLemore... "I am going to take my talents...to the NBA"

iamakufan 1 year ago

McLemore is one of the few one and done's who is not full of himself, perhaps the only one I can think of, I wish this young man the best in his future, whether he goes or stays. Either way he's the kind of person we want representing the University of Kansas.

Dale Kroening 1 year ago

One only has to look at Ware from Louisville to know Ben needs to go. Its been a pleasure to watch this great young man, good luck Ben, get yours !

onetime_77 1 year ago

I know the money looks great but I hope someone explained one important thing to Ben. You make your big money on the second contract. You make a career payday on your second contract. That rookie contract doesn't mean squat if you flame out or end up D league. You could just end up as a filler for a.trade. Better to be fully prepared and maybe be a top 10 pick, than not be ready and be top 3.

Jacob Pool 1 year ago

BMac is a great player, however there are some major issues that need some work. First: creating for himself when not wide open off a screen; second: ball handling; I am a Huge Fan of Ben and he has the ability to be a Great player at the next level, and yeah he is a very high pick if he should choose to leave, however if he takes advantage of what KU can offer him for another year he is going to succeed and make a whole lot more money over his long lucrative NBA career.

LLH 1 year ago

I'm so happy for this kid. Dude was electrifying, and oh so smooth. Vicious dunks, silky jumpers, great attitude. I had a feeling coming in that he was a one or two and done kind of talent. I really wish he got to play last year, woulda been interesting to see what that team would have done with a 3rd scorer, ah, one can always dream. Best of luck to you next year Ben. What a blessing it is to achieve your dreams. Thank you for choosing KU, thanks for the memories.

JayHok 1 year ago

This is a good kid who has a lot left to explore. Tomorrow he will announce he has not yet tried the pesto @ Ruby's.

Robert Brock 1 year ago

He is going to announce, after having met with Coach Self, that he is transferring.

Beau Woolsey 1 year ago

People who think he won't thrive in the league have never watched him play He could bring a team like Charlotte or orlando phoneix peremiter scoring Personally I hope he lands with the magic and that they aquire Bledsoe in free agency then that magic team could start to produce

jayhawkinnc 1 year ago

I was there in the spring of '96 at Jacque Vaughn's press conference when he said he was staying for his senior season. I know tomorrow's presser will likely have Ben saying he's going pro, but I'm holding out hope. Doubtful though. :(

chriz 1 year ago

Why in the world do people think that these guys can't develop in the NBA?! How is playing in the NBA not helpful in teaching people to play in the NBA?! Sitting in philosophy class will somehow get these kids more ready? If you were an NBA owner and just invested $30M in a player, wouldn't you do your best to make sure to develop him?

The purpose of college is to help you get a job. And this is basketball, not brain surgery. Go to the league and improve your game exponentially, Ben. Thanks for the memories.

mrrnb 1 year ago

He is not ready. After a year or two, he would be ready. I am sad because money is the deciding factor, and I understand why. But he could be another Paul Pierce if he was able to spend more time in college. Unfortunately, he will not be another Paul Pierce and that's a shame.

jhawk60660 1 year ago

Ben, you alone have altered my perceptions of OAD'S at Kansas. It was a pleasure to witness your skills, sense of team, and your enthusiasm for the game. As others have said please come back to visit and I hope you relish all that you have coming. Thank you for all you have contributed and will continue to contribute to Kansas by being an example of all that is still right about college athletics.

Lash 1 year ago

McLemore is a class act. Enjoyed his time here and will look forward to watching his NBA career. He shouldn't feel guilty for his family"s financial situation.

chriz 1 year ago

Meanwhile, this just in: riverdrifter is not remotely ready for prime time message posting.

Since79 1 year ago

0,000,000 None of us would turn down this many zeros to do what we love for a living!

Thank you for everything Ben! Good luck!

Ken Sedgwick 1 year ago

Mr. Mclemore. Thank you for being a Jayhawk

Hawkamania 1 year ago

Kansas needs to get a superstar in the league again. Paul Pierce's time is almost up, is McLemore the next one? I hopeso.

We need some of our guys to start taking care of business in the NBA to draw attention to our program even more imo.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year ago

You owe us nothing, Ben. You gave us great memories at Kansas, even if it was just one year. Good luck in the Association!

texashawk10 1 year ago

It was a pleasure to watch you wearing the Crimson and Blue Ben.

Kent Wells 1 year ago

At least it isn't one of those self-indulgent hat ceremonies!

I'll miss this kid. I'm happy for him and that his personal situation is soon to be resolved.

Best of luck, Mr. McLemore

Steve Jacob 1 year ago

Top 10 pick, you leave. End of story. I see a few guys declaring for the draft and shake my head, not this one.

Jackster 1 year ago

BMac......feed your family and put a solid roof over their heads. You have earned it. You have been a pleasure to watch as a Jayhawk and I wish you the best. I sure hope that you will come back to Lawrence to check in and encourage the future teams (and fans) when you can! Go get 'em!!!!

Justin Millsap 1 year ago

He's gonna let Conner Frankamp have his number and switch to 45 to honor MJ when he comes back to KU next year?

Alex Berger 1 year ago

I fully realize that there is a 99.9% chance that he is leaving. But every time there is a press conference for one of our young studs I can't help but get my hopes up that he might surprise everyone...

melrank 1 year ago

I'm going to do this for the last time and admit to missing him:

LOTTERY

Good luck and thanks, Ben!

dylans 1 year ago

How many players is Bill going to advise go elsewhere next year? Sheesh

Sarcasm for the uninitiated.

Milton Bland 1 year ago

Best of luck Ben. The Jayhawk Nation will be following your career. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk.