Originally published April 8, 2013 at 01:48p.m., updated April 8, 2013 at 02:16p.m.

Following second meeting with Bill Self, guard Rio Adams decides he will transfer from KU

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Kansas University freshman guard Rio Adams will transfer from KU at the end of the school year, KU coach Bill Self said Monday.

Self met with Adams Monday at Adams' request. The Seattle native had asked for and received his release from his scholarship agreement last week but had second thoughts and set up a second meeting with Self.

Adams has not yet said where he will be going to school next year.

Self released a statement through KU on the matter just before 2 p.m.

"Anrio and I met today and discussed his feelings and how they have apparently changed. We discussed everything and talked openly," Self said. "Together we’ve come to the conclusion that it is in his best interest to pursue other opportunities and go to a place where he has the chance to really impact a program and, preferably, a school that is closer to home. This will allow him to redshirt and have another year to work toward graduating."

Adams confirmed his decision to transfer on Twitter through his "Anrioadams" account.

"Nothin but positives from here on out ... This will only make me stronger," he tweeted.

Comments

williammark 1 year ago

my classmate's step-mother makes $85 an hour on the computer. She has been out of a job for nine months but last month her check was $17200 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site http://www.bic5.com

saanak83 1 year ago

It is good to see him go. He was not a good team mate, a horrible student. The reason he wanted to come back is that the schools he wanted to transfer to, don't want him.

So it is ethier low Div 1 or D2 school for him.

I don't see him making a impact on the major D1 Level.

Yolanda Gay 1 year ago

I wish things with Rio could have worked out. If Self lived through Tyshawn's twitter drama, he could have liked through Rio's. I think he had potential if the Big 12 tournament game was any indication. I think he would have helped the starters too. The starters need players to push them to get better. I just don't see that happening with players like Self, Manning, Roberts, Garrett, and Wesley.

kay_you 1 year ago

yada, yada, yada. Bring on the football season.

dumbarton 1 year ago

Probably several legitimate reasons Self didn't want Rio back but one thing for sure was that he could not risk going through another round of Rio negativity and tweets.

Adam Gerval 1 year ago

The end of this season, while watching Michigan go on to win the National Championship has been the most painfully agonizing sequence of my life. This has been like getting my heart ripped out slowly.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year ago

I guess we will never know what really transpired behind doors and maybe we don't want to know.
Among things I cannot explain is how I am still at 96% in the JW pool; with all the upsets I figured 50% percentile would be great...sheer genius or dumb luck go figure, probably a little of both.
Does any one else have trouble with this site's speed? I am on fiber optic line and most sites pop up immediately, but changing threads in this forum is like watching grass grow.

REHawk 1 year ago

Rio, I continue to feel that your basketball ability bears a humongous upside. I hope you land in an optimum setting, j.c. or whatever, to develop your game, get your grades and personal life in order, and return to a Division One court to become one of the better guards in the nation by Year 4 or 5. You must dig deep to find the patience to persevere and win the opportunity to display your natural talents. Best of luck to you. Hang tough.

Bob Forer 1 year ago

What was claimed to have been discussed: .
"We met again and talked about it. We both came to the same conclusion: that it would be in his best interest to pursue other options, get off to a fresh start and impact another program," Self told the Journal-World."

What was actually said: "Sorry, Rio, but your scholarship is no longer available."

KEITHMILES05 1 year ago

Rio and his posse on FB think he can do no wrong and indirectly and even some direct slams against Bill Self. No wonder he thinks he is all this and that with people in his ear telling him he is the next MJ.

soapisurfriend 1 year ago

Ben is set to announce his intentions tomorrow afternoon.

jayhawkinATL 1 year ago

Bill's message to Rio: "KU baskeball is bigger than you and any other individual."

jayhawkinATL 1 year ago

Guess I need to collect on all my $20 bets!

Boouk 1 year ago

Addition by subtraction. He probably wouldn't have been in our rotation next year anyways with Frankamp, Greene, and Mason coming in. Hopefully we're fortunate enough to add an impact late-signee or obviously Andrew Wiggins (I'd be shocked if he picks KU though) in the late signing period.

sunbake 1 year ago

Wichita ST. puts the State of Kansas on the map with their basketball program. Good job. Seems KU can't play football or basketball.

sunbake 1 year ago

Janet Scott 1 year ago

Perhaps Bruce Weber will offer Rio; Bruce will need the help. And Manhattan is closer to Rio's home: 60 miles closer to Seattle than Lawrence.

Best wishes, Rio. I hope you find what you're looking for and find success with it.

sunbake 1 year ago

He will be a big lost for KU a 4* recruit doesn't want to play for KU, what a article this is

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

I think school itself is playing a big part in why this is going down this way.

We all can ourselves see the immaturity "on the court". Chances are good that was also the case off the court and there well may have been concerns of whether he would be able to even stay academically eligible. Of course, just speculation, but from a basketball-standpoint, that's just what I think would be the logical deduction from the fact that the team could benefit from him. But can they benefit from him if he's not even eligible in the 1st place?

lancepaul 1 year ago

Has anyone else read Zagsblog lately? I read an article on there today about how Andrew Wiggins teammates on the McD's All-America team were all trying to recruit Wiggins one way or the other. Honestly, I wish he would just take KU off of his list cuz it's just giving me false hope. Kind of like the girl that puts you in the "friend zone". She leads you on just enough to keep you thinking you have a chance but in reality she really wants to date the superstar jock with the Camaro and the fro-hawk. Not that I was ever a the victim of the "friend zone" but it's the best analogy I could come up with today.

My thoughts on Rio are like many of you. If CS thought it's best to send Rio out the door then I have to assume it's the right move. I'm thinking that there is going to be a juco transfer or similar on this roster in the near future..

Robert Brock 1 year ago

Adams was the one who asked for - and received - his release in order to transfer. You can't have it both ways (staying and transferring). He was released and Coach Self is going to help him find a good fit.

USF with Rex Walters would be a good spot.

WindmillGIANT 1 year ago

I'm not sure what people are basing their talent evaluation of Adams on. I don't follow recruiting enough to know which organizations provide the best scouting, but Adams was not a top 100 recruit on ESPN and was only a 3-star recruit and the 26th ranked shooting guard. They've changed their numbering system this year, so his rating based on a 100 point scale looks higher than it is when compared to this years class. In short, I know he looked like he had size and athleticism, but in terms of his recruiting status, he was very much on the low end of the rating of most of the players we recruit with the expectation of playing. I'm not judging whether he should/should not have been allowed back on the team, but it seems like there's a degree of unwarranted optimism regarding his talent. That said, looking at the recruiting from the last couple of years, he very much is good enough to get offers from several Pac-12 schools, such as Oregon, Washington, etc.

texashawk10 1 year ago

Nobody but Rio and Self know the actual reasons why Rio is leaving. We can sit here and speculate all day and there are some theories that make more sense than others, but until we hear from Self or Rio the exact reasons, it will just be speculation. As HEM said above, there is very likely more to this story than just a lack of immaturity that has led Self to not take Rio back because there isn't currently a more ready to play for Bill Self next season option than Rio Adams right now. There is a possibility of someone coming available that we don't know about at this time whether it be a decommitment, JuCo transfer, or graduate transfer that has been talking to Self.

The person this helps the most right now is Connor Frankamp. Frankamp was going to be battling with Rio Adams for the back up minutes and now he will be battling Mason and that shouldn't be much of a battle and Connor Frankamp should be the primary back up PG for Tharpe next season. Best of luck wherever you go Rio.

Robert Brock 1 year ago

I am sure that Bill was honest with Rio about his chances of getting a lot of PT. The addition of Mason, Frankamp, Selden, and Greene makes it unlikely that Adams would ever crack the starting lineup. Ever is a long time...

Nikki May 1 year ago

On the personal/non-basketball level, I feel for this kid. When I was 18, I was going to go to school at Oklahoma. My life situations changed, and I ended up going to Kansas to stay closer to home. Since I wasn't playing a sport, no one cared about that except my family. At 18, most of us don't have it figured out. If at the end of my first year here, I said, "I don't like it, I want to transfer. Oh, wait, I can do this, I'm staying." No one would have cared. Sadly, we add basketball to this mix and it's no longer just the kid and his friends and family (and academic advisor).

I wish him the best of luck and hope he does well. He is just a kid.

hawkmoon2020 1 year ago

Really sad to see Rio go . . . but Father (CS) Knows Best as I'm sure he weighed the pros and cons carefully. Given Rio's upside potential, and contribution to next years success, there must have been several good reasons to sever ties. Not just one.

Good Luck Rio!

midwest_muser 1 year ago

More tutor and less twitter would have helped make for a better Rio...

jgkojak 1 year ago

Would love to have been a fly on the wall for that meeting.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year ago

Everyone in a relationship says "If your feelings change, let me be the first to know". We want eye contact and the truth. Unfortunately, most relationships end by an explosion or just wither away. The expolsion occurs when someone behaves so badly it is intollerable. The fading occurs with unreturned calls and indifference. Fortunately, for Rio this relationship ended with direct eye contact and a clear decision. Best for all parties.

Adam Gerval 1 year ago

Translation: You've made your bed, now lie in it.

kranny 1 year ago

I'll bet he had issues academically.

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

Just because people know what they are doing does not mean they don't make mistakes, and I think this was a mistake.

Good luck Anrio. You got a lot of living to do, and plenty of time to make this up to yourself.

"Don't let the success or failure of your last pitch determine the success or failure of your next one."--Nolan Ryan

Adam Evans 1 year ago

Best regards rio. Sorry your one year here wasn't everything you hoped it would be, but you will always be a jayhawk since you wore that jersey. Thanks and good luck.

KULA 1 year ago

Headline seems kind of misleading.

William Weissbeck 1 year ago

Recruiting is a very tricky business. As I posted to another story, Michigan is playing tonight with 4 freshmen making significant impact, and a sophomore that was about to red-shirt in December. 3 of those freshmen are within 25 miles of each other in NW Indiana and were not highly recruited. Anyone remember Michigan's Novak from last year? Also another solid, non-recruited white guy, 4 year starter from NW Ind. Burke was non-recruited from Ohio State's back yard. I'm not sure but that Michigan doesn't have but one or two Michiganders on the roster.

AZHawk72 1 year ago

Does anyone know how Doyle fared this year?

Joe Ross 1 year ago

I really don't get some people. Honestly. Anrio Adams' ceiling is no higher than Russell Robinson's...at BEST. This is not a knock on RR. He was a great player, but he had impact players around him. Part of Bill Self's just is not just to evaluate talent, but to create a team with his recruits and players that gives Kansas the best chance to win. Coach may be figuring he needs more impact players next year and needs the scholarship room if Adams is not content with being an understudy until his game develops. If Self has judged (notice the "if") that Adams doesn't fit for next year's team, then why should any of us waste any tears on it? Hasn't Coach proven that he knows what he's doing??? Really. HASN'T HE? On the other hand, maybe Coach has determined (notice the "maybe") that Adams hasn't panned out like he'd hoped and he's being realistic with Adams, telling him he's got guards coming in who will play in front of him, and that seems realistic to me. Perhaps he thinks a selfish attitude is not good for team chemistry. Whatever his reasons are, coaches aren't paid to keep players here who can't cut it. Weis knows this too, by the way, and I have no truck whatsoever with benching players who can't perform on the court or field. So many times Coach has proven he can develop talent if a player is patient. If he isn't then by all means let him follow the paths of Giddens, Selby, Giles, Micah Downs, and others. Best of luck to Anrio Adams at his new school. That is all.

5to6 1 year ago

So did he really just post his phone number on his Twitter for a whole passionate fanbase to see - or did he post one of Bill's private numbers as a parting shot?

GabrielMichael 1 year ago

Good luck Rio! Thank you for being kind to my wife and daughter at Coach Self's Holiday Camp!

Stephan123 1 year ago

Probably academically suspect as a student and a little too blatant with his whining..Nonetheless, best of luck with his transfer and I hope he excels at his next school.

Alex Wishart 1 year ago

Not really a tough loss. HCBS will have us back in contention for the decade of dominance. Not really concerned about Zrio. Probably better to have one less distraction in the locker room

Kyle Neuer 1 year ago

I suspect Rio should have talked to Self before he opened his yap on Twitter. #notgettingit.

milehighhawk 1 year ago

With a backlog at his position, Rio was more valuable to Self as an example of what not to do.

I wish he would have been able to stay (perhaps he turned down a redshirt season), but think it will ultimately work out better for both sides.

Best of luck.

Pbbut 1 year ago

Best of luck to him, I hope he finds what he needs.
Determining to go halfway across the country for an 18 year old is a big deal, under any circumstances, let alone the requirements of playing major college sports. They're having to make adult decisions when most 18 year olds are deciding if they want Trix or Count Chocula for breakfast, it can't be easy.
In the end, I fully believe Coach helped him make the decision that was best for the kid. Anrio may not know it at the moment, but it was in his best interest to move on.

trustyourSelf 1 year ago

This stinks. I don't understand why Self wouldn't take him back. I don't see us filling all of the scholarship spots for next year, and surely he would have been a stud in couple years. He would have matured in a number of ways.

April13 1 year ago

The tenor of the two announcements pretty much explains it:

Self: I gave Anrio the courtesy of a meeting - but this wasn't happening.

Anrio: I thought that he'd take me back - but that's not happening, so I'll move on.

Too bad. Although he didn't show much this year, I'm guessing Anrio could have developed into a solid performer for KU. Well, onto the number-three ranked recruiting class in America!

jaymar74 1 year ago

"if you stay your minutes will probably not go up and I think you need to redshirt to get your academics in order."

"Oh, OK, I will transfer."

All pretty simple.

Jack Jones 1 year ago

Amen!! Although, would disagree on Milton ~ not sure why he was included in your triad?

TommieSmithElbow 1 year ago

I think Bill wants a focused guard who can get the ball to half-court in under 10 seconds.

Conner, you're up!

joeloveshawks 1 year ago

I wish Rio all the best. I think he could mature a bit as a man and produce well for another program and I hope that he does.

That said, we are certainly fine without him. We have about as many guards that will be looking for PT this year as I can ever remember.

Also, I don't think him leaving has anything to do with B Mac or Wiggins. It just seems like the decision that was made was based on what Bill thought best.

pepper_bar 1 year ago

I love this decision. Good on Bill for making the kid understand KU basketball won't be used.

Anrio gambled and lost here; welcome to adulthood. He'll play somewhere. Gonzaga might be a good fit, if he can demonstrate actual humility to Coach Few.

Phil Leister 1 year ago

Here's to another 300 comments about Rio!

I just hope we're done with it and I never hear the names Rio, Milton, or Brock again. Not that I wish anything against these names, I'm just tired of hearing them.

Kye Clark 1 year ago

Bummer. Not a fan of this decision.

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

I think Bill is kind of a one and done guy himself [ see Anrio Adams, Missouri University, etc[" You want out..fair enough..but the door locks behind you and you don't get back in."].

PSM 1 year ago

History says that transferring from KU to another school never yields much in the way of success. I think JR Giddens is the only transfer to ever get any PT in the league. And that was only like 5 minutes...

702Hawk 1 year ago

HCBS must think highly of the Kids coming in. I hope Mason and Frankamp turn into pick pocketing defensive stoppers and keep their offensive game.

Dirtyphog 1 year ago

Hopefully this is a sign that we have someone coming in soon, maybe wiggins? or a transfer? or maybe mclemore decided to return? optimism can't hurt....

Bud Stagg 1 year ago

I'm sure the conversaition this morning went something like this..."oh no you don't, you don't trash me and my program on twitter, ask for transfer and then try to change your mind. I've already given away your scholarship. Good luck in your future"

ChicagoJHawk 1 year ago

I don't get it. Wasn't everyone comparing him to D-Wade while he was still being recruited? Wasn't he one of the top players coming out of high school? Was really surprised to see him get so few minutes, and now transfering.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year ago

I wish Rio the same success as Brock Berglund!

Steve Swaggerty 1 year ago

So Bill refused to take him back, eh?

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year ago

Best regards to Anrio Adams. Every young man wants to win at life, sometimes it takes time to learn about proper choices, and how to play all the side games right, and jump thru all the hoops that beginners must...And, simply put: bigger mistakes just gotta be avoided. Spend time listening to experts. Be strong, Rio.

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year ago

Gooing, staying, going, going, GONE!!!!

DRsmith 1 year ago

Oh here we go. Just copy and paste the comments from the first article. This sums them up, "he sucks anyway, good riddance, he is a cancer. In HCBS I trust, RIO didn't want to work for his playing time, yada yada yada...:

fearthephog512 1 year ago

Good call. Good luck, Rio.