Originally published April 8, 2013 at 01:48p.m., updated April 8, 2013 at 02:16p.m.

Following second meeting with Bill Self, guard Rio Adams decides he will transfer from KU

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Kansas University freshman guard Rio Adams will transfer from KU at the end of the school year, KU coach Bill Self said Monday.

Self met with Adams Monday at Adams' request. The Seattle native had asked for and received his release from his scholarship agreement last week but had second thoughts and set up a second meeting with Self.

Adams has not yet said where he will be going to school next year.

Self released a statement through KU on the matter just before 2 p.m.

"Anrio and I met today and discussed his feelings and how they have apparently changed. We discussed everything and talked openly," Self said. "Together we’ve come to the conclusion that it is in his best interest to pursue other opportunities and go to a place where he has the chance to really impact a program and, preferably, a school that is closer to home. This will allow him to redshirt and have another year to work toward graduating."

Adams confirmed his decision to transfer on Twitter through his "Anrioadams" account.

"Nothin but positives from here on out ... This will only make me stronger," he tweeted.

Comments

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 3 months ago

I can't wait until tomorrow's article.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 3 months ago

Lots of comments, One shouldn't waste time dissecting Bill and Rio's joint, wise decision. Move on. No going back. Good luck. KU's program is fine.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Rio Adams has just set the all-time record for comments per minutes played.

pepper_bar 1 year, 3 months ago

Oregon won't touch him. A successful mid-major like Gonzaga or a desperate-to-be-relevant program like Oregon State / Washington State might be a fit.

Alex Berger 1 year, 3 months ago

Anrio is a 4 star, top 100 recruit. Any of the West Coast schools with an open scholarship would take him.

Here are some of the schools that offered him a scholarship last year: Arizona, California, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington.

pepper_bar 1 year, 3 months ago

Rio has personality issues that were unknown during his original recruitment.

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

@AlBerg You need to reword your first sentence in past tense.

Can you figure out how to emphasize "last year" ? Suggest underline, bold, italics, or just allcaps.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Wherever he ends up, I hope the jayhawks never have to face him. I think he's gunna be a very good player, especially if this motivates him.

Best of luck, 'rio...

DRsmith 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh here we go. Just copy and paste the comments from the first article. This sums them up, "he sucks anyway, good riddance, he is a cancer. In HCBS I trust, RIO didn't want to work for his playing time, yada yada yada...:

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

It reminds me of a movie I once saw. I think it was called "Blame It on Rio"

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year, 3 months ago

Gooing, staying, going, going, GONE!!!!

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

I think "declined" is more diplomatic than "refused", but yeah, HCBS made and announced his decision on the matter – the available scholarship is worth more than Rio's (unfortunately now suspect) rededication to the program.

Any word on the recruiting front?

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

I wish Rio the same success as Brock Berglund!

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

I will be pouring out an invisible bowl of cereal in his honor

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 3 months ago

Someone didn't wish you well when you were at Rio's age and thus you became the insulting person that you are.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Sometimes you gotta move on. KU and Brock have.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 3 months ago

Ain't ahpersecoachingexperience a honey? GAG!!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I just take it as sarcasm. Usually funny but sometimes over the line.

ChicagoJHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't get it. Wasn't everyone comparing him to D-Wade while he was still being recruited? Wasn't he one of the top players coming out of high school? Was really surprised to see him get so few minutes, and now transfering.

RockChalk26 1 year, 3 months ago

If by everyone you mean his high school coach, then yes, everyone compared him to D-Wade.

Bud Stagg 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm sure the conversaition this morning went something like this..."oh no you don't, you don't trash me and my program on twitter, ask for transfer and then try to change your mind. I've already given away your scholarship. Good luck in your future"

Jack Jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Are you REALLY SURE that's how the conversation went? ~ or just guessing?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 3 months ago

Jack, one thing I am sure about is Self polled all the players. Regardless of comments otherwise, the team did not want Rio back. He was trouble, always trashing some of the players, i.e. EJ, saying how much better he was etc. Self got a good dose of player feedback...and out goes Rio.

Bud Stagg 1 year, 3 months ago

Well sure I know, I was a fly on the wall... Actually I think Bill is smarter than that, This is an "it's all about me" kid.

Dirtyphog 1 year, 3 months ago

Hopefully this is a sign that we have someone coming in soon, maybe wiggins? or a transfer? or maybe mclemore decided to return? optimism can't hurt....

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

Waiter....I'll have whatever Dirtyphog is drinking, please?

Dirtyphog 1 year, 3 months ago

drink it down! it always goes down smooth

average 1 year, 3 months ago

The 1-in-a-1000 change McLemore might stay turned into a 1-in-a-billion chance the second Kevin Ware broke his leg. There could be no better ad for "take the money if there's money to take".

nihar78 1 year, 3 months ago

So, you're saying there is a chance...

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

Again....I'd be ecstatic if it was that Desmond Lee kid from New Mexico Junior College.....had been getting a LOT of interest lately (I know N.C. State, Baylor & Illinois were in on him)....news had been out there for weeks to months and sounded close to signing w/ N.C.State according to those articles.....this much later and nothing solidified yet makes me wonder if he'd been waiting on us w/ this A. Adams thing. Kids from VA like White III & F. Mason so he'd have that going for him & 5th highest scoring Juco last year. Size-wise, I think he's identical to Rio + 5 - 10 lbs.

We get him and he'd start at SG and Selden might move over to the "3" .....might've been why the Releford comments were so applicable.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Hope springs eternal...One of the walk-ons will get a free ride for the season.

woodscolt 1 year, 3 months ago

wiggins is going to Kentucky. He is just playing his "me me" card by dragging everyone else along. We are loaded and we will be fine with the kids who will show up for Boot camp next October

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 3 months ago

Any truth to the rumor that Rio Adams is also headed to Kentucky?

JakeBarnes 1 year, 3 months ago

You may be right. I think Self did the right thing here with Rio as I was pretty sure he would. Let's hope he advises McLemore regarding the right thing to do. McLemore, despite his game against Michigan, isn't ready. Potential, yes, reality, no. Why sit on the bench watching others and perhaps be sent to the development leagues a few games into the season, then brought back to sit on the bench some more? If he goes pro and they draft him as many say in the top 5 then there really is something wrong with pro-ball. Considering the level of the competition, some of the pro teams really stink right now. I hope he doesn't go to one of those. If he goes pro I hope a team on the upbeat gets him. But for his sake I hope he stays at least another year to prove himself a great at the college level.

Setherick 1 year, 3 months ago

No one has said it yet, so I will. We already have a player that can fill Rio's supposed role on board. He's a dedicated, local sharpshooter by the name of Frankamp.

702Hawk 1 year, 3 months ago

HCBS must think highly of the Kids coming in. I hope Mason and Frankamp turn into pick pocketing defensive stoppers and keep their offensive game.

PSM 1 year, 3 months ago

History says that transferring from KU to another school never yields much in the way of success. I think JR Giddens is the only transfer to ever get any PT in the league. And that was only like 5 minutes...

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

That's because just about every recruit who's transferred away from KU under Self was a lower ranked recruit who likely wasn't going to make the NBA staying at KU either.

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

Micah Downs an JR Giddens are the only exceptions that I can come up with. I guess Rio is technically a top 100 player.

Lash 1 year, 3 months ago

David Padgett played extensively

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

I liked Padgett playing for Louisville better than KU.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 3 months ago

David Padgett? Whether or not players who leave get playing time at the next school becomes less important to them in the long run than figuring out that, with the exception of Padgett, the player finds himself at a lesser basketball school than KU. When that sinks in, it has to hurt.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Being ranked in the 90's and committing to play at KU makes someone a lower ranked recruit to me. David Padgett, JR Giddens, and Micah Downs were all top 30 players and only 2 of them voluntarily left KU. That's still only 3 out of 13 players that have transferred from KU under Self (voluntarily or not) that were considered highly ranked guys. Depending on how define lower ranked players, it is a different definition at KU than it would be for UMKC, then the other 10 players to leave can be considered lower ranked players by KU's standards.

woodscolt 1 year, 3 months ago

Downs is doing the D-League thing but at least he is getting a check.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

Both Micah and J.R. Would have improved their NBA stock by staying at KU. Giddens might have managed to get a guaranteed contract and stuck around a little longer with a little Self taught discipline.

cmku10 1 year, 3 months ago

Giddens got a guaranteed contract, he was drafted by the celtics in the first round ahead of Mario.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

Ummm, Woolridge?!?!

Whoops, posted before realizing that you were talking about the NBA!!! :) lol

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

I think Bill is kind of a one and done guy himself [ see Anrio Adams, Missouri University, etc[" You want out..fair enough..but the door locks behind you and you don't get back in."].

Kye Clark 1 year, 3 months ago

Bummer. Not a fan of this decision.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

I am a fan of this decision. Not because he is leaving. I like Adams' game. I wasn't pleased when it was initially announced that he was leaving.

But I'm now glad he's leaving because this tells us there is much more to the story here. As I posted the other day, if Self does not take him back, then it truly is a "trust in Self" moment if there ever was one. That would indicate that on court potential is outweighed by something else. There are certainly not better "instant impact" options at guard available now -- Adams is better than anyone that can come in and play.

Highly likely that Self feels that this is addition by subtraction, and that probably has little to do with what happens on the court.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't see this as being academic related unless Rio was caught cheating and facing expulsion for that. If it's just him failing classes, Self wouldn't grant his release because the APR hit and of the bad precedent it would set for future players at KU.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Must be nice to be in the loop. The rest of us rely on the media for info.

LJW..Give us the whole story, the inside scoop.

Phil Leister 1 year, 3 months ago

Here's to another 300 comments about Rio!

I just hope we're done with it and I never hear the names Rio, Milton, or Brock again. Not that I wish anything against these names, I'm just tired of hearing them.

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

Not me, I love the one and only 'Rio Chalmers! Who's the other rio? I forget already...

pepper_bar 1 year, 3 months ago

I love this decision. Good on Bill for making the kid understand KU basketball won't be used.

Anrio gambled and lost here; welcome to adulthood. He'll play somewhere. Gonzaga might be a good fit, if he can demonstrate actual humility to Coach Few.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 3 months ago

I wish Rio all the best. I think he could mature a bit as a man and produce well for another program and I hope that he does.

That said, we are certainly fine without him. We have about as many guards that will be looking for PT this year as I can ever remember.

Also, I don't think him leaving has anything to do with B Mac or Wiggins. It just seems like the decision that was made was based on what Bill thought best.

TommieSmithElbow 1 year, 3 months ago

I think Bill wants a focused guard who can get the ball to half-court in under 10 seconds.

Conner, you're up!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

I kinda' see him playing both - - - Boschee started out as a "1" his 1st year or two and then settled in as a "2". Hinrich had more time at the "1". Ryan Robertson - similar to Boschee - started off as a "1" and eventually more of a "2'.

TommieSmithElbow 1 year, 3 months ago

I am just not sure we have a solution at the 1 (verdict still out on Tharpe), and while Conner is an unknown at the college level, he might be at least a short-term solution. Also, a point guard who can shoot could present some nice options. Who knows, maybe Selden can play the role of Trey Burke at the 1 (albeit, without the GREAT outside shooting skills)

Jack Jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Amen!! Although, would disagree on Milton ~ not sure why he was included in your triad?

jaymar74 1 year, 3 months ago

"if you stay your minutes will probably not go up and I think you need to redshirt to get your academics in order."

"Oh, OK, I will transfer."

All pretty simple.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

THAT I could see.

I could see him offer the "redshirt" & Rio decline it.

April13 1 year, 3 months ago

The tenor of the two announcements pretty much explains it:

Self: I gave Anrio the courtesy of a meeting - but this wasn't happening.

Anrio: I thought that he'd take me back - but that's not happening, so I'll move on.

Too bad. Although he didn't show much this year, I'm guessing Anrio could have developed into a solid performer for KU. Well, onto the number-three ranked recruiting class in America!

Bud Stagg 1 year, 3 months ago

April, you are right. But HCBS was not going through another season of this kid bitchin on twitter about playing time. The only basketball player that should have a twitter account is Fake Jeff Withey

trustyourSelf 1 year, 3 months ago

This stinks. I don't understand why Self wouldn't take him back. I don't see us filling all of the scholarship spots for next year, and surely he would have been a stud in couple years. He would have matured in a number of ways.

Phog4ever 1 year, 3 months ago

Your username is the answer to understanding Self's decision

woodscolt 1 year, 3 months ago

I think he would have been a stud in a couple of years too but I don't think Mario was willing to wait that long and that means a lot more tweets that were going to mean trouble for him and the rest of team.

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

How soon we forget – this kid wasn't one of the Ma-Rio guys – he was only An-rio.

Pbbut 1 year, 3 months ago

Best of luck to him, I hope he finds what he needs.
Determining to go halfway across the country for an 18 year old is a big deal, under any circumstances, let alone the requirements of playing major college sports. They're having to make adult decisions when most 18 year olds are deciding if they want Trix or Count Chocula for breakfast, it can't be easy.
In the end, I fully believe Coach helped him make the decision that was best for the kid. Anrio may not know it at the moment, but it was in his best interest to move on.

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

Moving on is only part of his best interest. He will learn a hell of a lot more from this than he could have by sneaking back into the tent.

milehighhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

With a backlog at his position, Rio was more valuable to Self as an example of what not to do.

I wish he would have been able to stay (perhaps he turned down a redshirt season), but think it will ultimately work out better for both sides.

Best of luck.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

He's going to have to redshirt with the transfer anyway (assuming he doesn't drop down to D2), so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

milehighhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

During their first meeting, I could see Self telling Rio he needed to RS.

Rio refuses, says he'll transfer. Changes his mind, Self said, "forget it."

LAJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Not to be repetitive, but, again, that's just not logical. He would be transferring because he didn't want to redshirt, and would be forced to sit out a year? Just not sure how that makes any sense. He'd be turning down a redshirt in order to.... redshirt. I mean, he is young, so maybe he didn't realize that when he said he would transfer, but I just don't think that's the case. He has to realize transferring would be the exact same thing as redshirting at KU.

There just had to be other issues at play.

Kyle Neuer 1 year, 3 months ago

I suspect Rio should have talked to Self before he opened his yap on Twitter. #notgettingit.

Alex Wishart 1 year, 3 months ago

Not really a tough loss. HCBS will have us back in contention for the decade of dominance. Not really concerned about Zrio. Probably better to have one less distraction in the locker room

Stephan123 1 year, 3 months ago

Probably academically suspect as a student and a little too blatant with his whining..Nonetheless, best of luck with his transfer and I hope he excels at his next school.

GabrielMichael 1 year, 3 months ago

Good luck Rio! Thank you for being kind to my wife and daughter at Coach Self's Holiday Camp!

5to6 1 year, 3 months ago

So did he really just post his phone number on his Twitter for a whole passionate fanbase to see - or did he post one of Bill's private numbers as a parting shot?

Joe Ross 1 year, 3 months ago

I really don't get some people. Honestly. Anrio Adams' ceiling is no higher than Russell Robinson's...at BEST. This is not a knock on RR. He was a great player, but he had impact players around him. Part of Bill Self's just is not just to evaluate talent, but to create a team with his recruits and players that gives Kansas the best chance to win. Coach may be figuring he needs more impact players next year and needs the scholarship room if Adams is not content with being an understudy until his game develops. If Self has judged (notice the "if") that Adams doesn't fit for next year's team, then why should any of us waste any tears on it? Hasn't Coach proven that he knows what he's doing??? Really. HASN'T HE? On the other hand, maybe Coach has determined (notice the "maybe") that Adams hasn't panned out like he'd hoped and he's being realistic with Adams, telling him he's got guards coming in who will play in front of him, and that seems realistic to me. Perhaps he thinks a selfish attitude is not good for team chemistry. Whatever his reasons are, coaches aren't paid to keep players here who can't cut it. Weis knows this too, by the way, and I have no truck whatsoever with benching players who can't perform on the court or field. So many times Coach has proven he can develop talent if a player is patient. If he isn't then by all means let him follow the paths of Giddens, Selby, Giles, Micah Downs, and others. Best of luck to Anrio Adams at his new school. That is all.

milehighhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I'll bite.

Rio's "ceiling" is actually a hell of a lot higher than Russ Rob's. Adams is, objectively: longer, quicker and more athletic.

The difference -- and where I think you might agree -- is that Russ Rob is capable of playing much closer to his full potential than Rio is (for a number of reasons).

Joe Ross 1 year, 3 months ago

Well thought out reply. Though we might disagree I put stock into your thoughtfulness. I would add, however, that it is difficult for either of us to judge Adams' talent being that he saw so little time on the court (just amounts to a best guess by either one of us). This is why I put faith in Self's evaluation and am willing to quietly abide with whatever direction Coach takes this team in, even if it means he dismisses players we "like". +1 to your response, however.

Brak 1 year, 3 months ago

So you say that, "it is difficult for either of us to judge Adams' talent being that he saw so little time on the court (just amounts to a best guess by either one of us).", but in your first statement it sounds like you are judging his talent ceiling by comparing him to Russ Rob, so which one of his few minutes one the court led you to that assumption?

Joe Ross 1 year, 3 months ago

Easy answer. I accounted for my opinion with regard to Adams and Robinson by saying that it is a "best guess" in a later post.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 3 months ago

The thing I remember most about Mario and Robinson is that the ball was never, never safe in the other team's hands if they were nearby. Greatest pair of basketball thieves in KU history.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I take the other side. Russell Robinson was a Rivals 5-Star recruit who became a lock down defender and played in one of KU's all-time backcourts w/Chalmers and Collins.

Russell Rob went through a similar freshman year and came out a much more mentally tough player than I believe Adams will (although I would be happy to be proved wrong).

If all the info you had was this same period right after their freshman year and was asked, "who has more upside?", I don't see many picking Adams.

AZHawk72 1 year, 3 months ago

Does anyone know how Doyle fared this year?

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

Think he won back to back employee of the month certificates while working at McDonalds

Jack Jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Clever > very clever ~ Must note that you are consistent (ly) - sarcastic.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Pretty funny...in a not so funny way. 2 chuckles up!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Doyle had to sit out this season.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

Milton Doyle sat out the season at Loyola University in Chicago.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 3 months ago

Recruiting is a very tricky business. As I posted to another story, Michigan is playing tonight with 4 freshmen making significant impact, and a sophomore that was about to red-shirt in December. 3 of those freshmen are within 25 miles of each other in NW Indiana and were not highly recruited. Anyone remember Michigan's Novak from last year? Also another solid, non-recruited white guy, 4 year starter from NW Ind. Burke was non-recruited from Ohio State's back yard. I'm not sure but that Michigan doesn't have but one or two Michiganders on the roster.

KULA 1 year, 3 months ago

Headline seems kind of misleading.

Adam Evans 1 year, 3 months ago

Best regards rio. Sorry your one year here wasn't everything you hoped it would be, but you will always be a jayhawk since you wore that jersey. Thanks and good luck.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

Just because people know what they are doing does not mean they don't make mistakes, and I think this was a mistake.

Good luck Anrio. You got a lot of living to do, and plenty of time to make this up to yourself.

"Don't let the success or failure of your last pitch determine the success or failure of your next one."--Nolan Ryan

kranny 1 year, 3 months ago

I'll bet he had issues academically.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 3 months ago

Everyone in a relationship says "If your feelings change, let me be the first to know". We want eye contact and the truth. Unfortunately, most relationships end by an explosion or just wither away. The expolsion occurs when someone behaves so badly it is intollerable. The fading occurs with unreturned calls and indifference. Fortunately, for Rio this relationship ended with direct eye contact and a clear decision. Best for all parties.

jgkojak 1 year, 3 months ago

Would love to have been a fly on the wall for that meeting.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 3 months ago

Really sad to see Rio go . . . but Father (CS) Knows Best as I'm sure he weighed the pros and cons carefully. Given Rio's upside potential, and contribution to next years success, there must have been several good reasons to sever ties. Not just one.

Good Luck Rio!

Nikki May 1 year, 3 months ago

On the personal/non-basketball level, I feel for this kid. When I was 18, I was going to go to school at Oklahoma. My life situations changed, and I ended up going to Kansas to stay closer to home. Since I wasn't playing a sport, no one cared about that except my family. At 18, most of us don't have it figured out. If at the end of my first year here, I said, "I don't like it, I want to transfer. Oh, wait, I can do this, I'm staying." No one would have cared. Sadly, we add basketball to this mix and it's no longer just the kid and his friends and family (and academic advisor).

I wish him the best of luck and hope he does well. He is just a kid.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

I am sure that Bill was honest with Rio about his chances of getting a lot of PT. The addition of Mason, Frankamp, Selden, and Greene makes it unlikely that Adams would ever crack the starting lineup. Ever is a long time...

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Nobody but Rio and Self know the actual reasons why Rio is leaving. We can sit here and speculate all day and there are some theories that make more sense than others, but until we hear from Self or Rio the exact reasons, it will just be speculation. As HEM said above, there is very likely more to this story than just a lack of immaturity that has led Self to not take Rio back because there isn't currently a more ready to play for Bill Self next season option than Rio Adams right now. There is a possibility of someone coming available that we don't know about at this time whether it be a decommitment, JuCo transfer, or graduate transfer that has been talking to Self.

The person this helps the most right now is Connor Frankamp. Frankamp was going to be battling with Rio Adams for the back up minutes and now he will be battling Mason and that shouldn't be much of a battle and Connor Frankamp should be the primary back up PG for Tharpe next season. Best of luck wherever you go Rio.

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm not sure what people are basing their talent evaluation of Adams on. I don't follow recruiting enough to know which organizations provide the best scouting, but Adams was not a top 100 recruit on ESPN and was only a 3-star recruit and the 26th ranked shooting guard. They've changed their numbering system this year, so his rating based on a 100 point scale looks higher than it is when compared to this years class. In short, I know he looked like he had size and athleticism, but in terms of his recruiting status, he was very much on the low end of the rating of most of the players we recruit with the expectation of playing. I'm not judging whether he should/should not have been allowed back on the team, but it seems like there's a degree of unwarranted optimism regarding his talent. That said, looking at the recruiting from the last couple of years, he very much is good enough to get offers from several Pac-12 schools, such as Oregon, Washington, etc.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

Adams was the one who asked for - and received - his release in order to transfer. You can't have it both ways (staying and transferring). He was released and Coach Self is going to help him find a good fit.

USF with Rex Walters would be a good spot.

lancepaul 1 year, 3 months ago

Has anyone else read Zagsblog lately? I read an article on there today about how Andrew Wiggins teammates on the McD's All-America team were all trying to recruit Wiggins one way or the other. Honestly, I wish he would just take KU off of his list cuz it's just giving me false hope. Kind of like the girl that puts you in the "friend zone". She leads you on just enough to keep you thinking you have a chance but in reality she really wants to date the superstar jock with the Camaro and the fro-hawk. Not that I was ever a the victim of the "friend zone" but it's the best analogy I could come up with today.

My thoughts on Rio are like many of you. If CS thought it's best to send Rio out the door then I have to assume it's the right move. I'm thinking that there is going to be a juco transfer or similar on this roster in the near future..

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

If that fro-hawk is anything like a Jayhawk, we're golden!

John Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

Not much like a Jayhawk – more like a frizzy mo-hawk.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

I think school itself is playing a big part in why this is going down this way.

We all can ourselves see the immaturity "on the court". Chances are good that was also the case off the court and there well may have been concerns of whether he would be able to even stay academically eligible. Of course, just speculation, but from a basketball-standpoint, that's just what I think would be the logical deduction from the fact that the team could benefit from him. But can they benefit from him if he's not even eligible in the 1st place?

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

If it was an academic eligibility issue, Bill Self wouldn't have granted Rio his release until he was in good academic standing because that would set a bad precedent for the future.

Robbk1066 1 year, 3 months ago

Sun, come in out of the sun. This kid was immature, did not play or act like a player but put himself in front of the team. Just cant do that. Any coach does not need this kind of player around.

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 3 months ago

Sure man. Just like you aren't a troll.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 3 months ago

Yep, a bona fide user since 04/04/2013!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 3 months ago

This troll obviously doesn't keep up with class rankings.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 3 months ago

KU has the second best recruiting class next year.

Robbk1066 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks Sun I needed a good laugh today. Ohh you know you just don't see trolls like you anymore. been on here since 4.4.13 huh, welcome sun. Ahhh that was a good one.

lancepaul 1 year, 3 months ago

lancepaul 1 year, 3 months ago

Robbk1066 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow sun two for two today, please come in out of the sun. WSU had a great season. But if you think at all that 115 years of BB did not put Kansas on the map, and WSU did this year with their one year, then you might need some help.

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

What exactly are you smoking and where can I get some?
Tell me this smart guy, how many NCAA national titles does Wichita ST have? How many consecutive conference championships do they have? How many total wins too? When Wichita State starts being able to play with the big boys, then you can come post on here again k?
PS. I actually like Wichita State and was hoping they would beat Louisville.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 3 months ago

Who let this 5-year old have access to a computer???

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Stop mounting horses and start riding them.

Next.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 3 months ago

I wonder if they surveyed players in the dance how many of them could find Wichita on a map.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 3 months ago

New avatar, same old JayhawkinNebr. Must be lonely out there.

Boouk 1 year, 3 months ago

Addition by subtraction. He probably wouldn't have been in our rotation next year anyways with Frankamp, Greene, and Mason coming in. Hopefully we're fortunate enough to add an impact late-signee or obviously Andrew Wiggins (I'd be shocked if he picks KU though) in the late signing period.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 3 months ago

Guess I need to collect on all my $20 bets!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 3 months ago

Bill's message to Rio: "KU baskeball is bigger than you and any other individual."

soapisurfriend 1 year, 3 months ago

Ben is set to announce his intentions tomorrow afternoon.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 3 months ago

Rio and his posse on FB think he can do no wrong and indirectly and even some direct slams against Bill Self. No wonder he thinks he is all this and that with people in his ear telling him he is the next MJ.

Bob Forer 1 year, 3 months ago

What was claimed to have been discussed: .
"We met again and talked about it. We both came to the same conclusion: that it would be in his best interest to pursue other options, get off to a fresh start and impact another program," Self told the Journal-World."

What was actually said: "Sorry, Rio, but your scholarship is no longer available."

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Rio, I continue to feel that your basketball ability bears a humongous upside. I hope you land in an optimum setting, j.c. or whatever, to develop your game, get your grades and personal life in order, and return to a Division One court to become one of the better guards in the nation by Year 4 or 5. You must dig deep to find the patience to persevere and win the opportunity to display your natural talents. Best of luck to you. Hang tough.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

I guess we will never know what really transpired behind doors and maybe we don't want to know.
Among things I cannot explain is how I am still at 96% in the JW pool; with all the upsets I figured 50% percentile would be great...sheer genius or dumb luck go figure, probably a little of both.
Does any one else have trouble with this site's speed? I am on fiber optic line and most sites pop up immediately, but changing threads in this forum is like watching grass grow.

pepper_bar 1 year, 3 months ago

It's the whole site. There's always a few seconds of lag when I click on a link here. None of the other sites in my regular rotation have this issue.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

The only consolation is Michigan winning and the players saying KU was the best team they played...

dumbarton 1 year, 3 months ago

Probably several legitimate reasons Self didn't want Rio back but one thing for sure was that he could not risk going through another round of Rio negativity and tweets.

kay_you 1 year, 3 months ago

yada, yada, yada. Bring on the football season.

Yolanda Gay 1 year, 3 months ago

I wish things with Rio could have worked out. If Self lived through Tyshawn's twitter drama, he could have liked through Rio's. I think he had potential if the Big 12 tournament game was any indication. I think he would have helped the starters too. The starters need players to push them to get better. I just don't see that happening with players like Self, Manning, Roberts, Garrett, and Wesley.

saanak83 1 year, 3 months ago

It is good to see him go. He was not a good team mate, a horrible student. The reason he wanted to come back is that the schools he wanted to transfer to, don't want him.

So it is ethier low Div 1 or D2 school for him.

I don't see him making a impact on the major D1 Level.