Saturday, April 6, 2013

KU basketball notebook: Frankamp on fire; latest on Rio Adams

Wichita North senior and Kansas University recruit Conner Frankamp is pictured on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012, at Pleasant Valley Middle School in Wichita, where he works out daily with his father, Marty Frankamp. Frankamp said that although he is looked at as a shooter, he is preparing to play the point if needed for KU.

Future Kansas University basketball combo guard Conner Frankamp hit 22 of 25 three-pointers in the final round to win the third-annual American Family Insurance High School 3-Point Championship on Friday at Greater Atlanta Christian School.

Frankamp, a 6-foot senior out of Wichita North, defeated a field that included future KU teammate Brannen Greene. The contest, which includes a slam dunk event, will be shown at 1 p.m. today on CBS.

A video of Frankamp’s final round is available here.

Manning praised

Former KU All-American Danny Manning was named one of the top 15 all-time March Madness players on Friday at the Final Four. Manning averaged 20.5 points and 7.3 rebounds in leading KU to the 1988 NCAA title. KU’s 1951-52 title team was one of 25 March Madness teams honored. Indiana’s 1975-76 undefeated national championship team was voted top March Madness team of all time.

One more meeting

KU coach Bill Self on Friday told the Journal-World he and freshman guard Anrio Adams would meet again once Self returns from the Final Four in Atlanta. The two met earlier this week — a session that resulted in Self’s granting the 6-foot-3 Seattle native a release from his scholarship agreement. Adams on Thursday night said he changed his mind and did not want to transfer after all.

“Rio is a heckuva talent, but he just had a lot to learn,” Adams’ high school coach, Mike Bethea of Rainier Beach, told the Seattle Times. “He just needs to be patient. It was one of those thing where Rio was thinking he could come in, step on the court and play right away. That’s not the case at a place like Kansas. Heck, even Ben McLemore had to red-shirt. Rio can be a good fit anywhere. He just has to understand the situation he’s getting into and accept that situation.”

Adams scored 27 points in 24 games his freshman year.

“When he was with us, he understood what it was and where he was,” Bethea told the Times. “He understood the urgency. He was a senior. He didn’t have an offer on the table. … He had Kansas, but he didn’t sign with them until later in the year. They wanted to make sure he was going to do the things he needed to do before bringing him in. Rio is a good kid. Really good kid. You hope he’s learned a little bit from this latest situation and it’s helped him grow up a bit.”

FSU the leader?

Wichita State junior guard Nick Wiggins, the brother of prize high school recruit Andrew Wiggins, tells SNY.tv that his parents want Andrew to pick Florida State over KU, Kentucky and North Carolina.

“I think both my parents would like him to go to Florida State University because that’s where my mom and my dad attended school, so it would be pretty amazing to see him do that, and I believe they would be happy with that decision,” Nick told SNY.tv.

Wiggins’ dad, Mitchell, played in the NBA. Mom Marita Payne-Wiggins competed in the Olympics in track and field for Canada.

“But, I mean, they would also be happy with anywhere that he goes to school,” added Nick, who believes Andrew will announce his decision “in the next two weeks to three weeks.”

Nick Wiggins isn’t sure Kentucky, which has six incoming McDonald’s All-Americans, is the right place for Andrew.

“(Kentucky) has eight or nine All-American guys coming in, and I don’t know if it would be the best spot for him to go and shine like he wanted to,” Nick said in an article printed on zagsblog.com. “That’s my personal opinion. I know how the recruiting process is. But it would be special to see him play anywhere as an older brother. Definitely, I’m sure that he would want to make his own legacy and you could see it kind of on Kentucky’s team this year,” Nick added. “They had a lot of stars and it kind of didn’t gel as well as it did the team before when it had a lot of freshmen that really gelled together. So it’s just difference in players and putting combinations together. Coach (John) Calipari’s a very good coach so I wouldn’t blame it really at all on him.”

Hofstra looking

KU assistant Joe Dooley has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the head-coaching opening at Hofstra by hoopdirt.com and collegesportsinfo.com. Mo Cassara recently was fired as Hofstra coach. Others mentioned: Tim Cluess (Iona), Joe Mihalich (Niagara), Speedy Claxon (Golden State NBA scout), Al Skinner (former Boston College coach). Some believe Dooley also could surface as a candidate at Rutgers.

Portsmouth-bound

KU seniors Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford have accepted invitations to compete at the Portsmouth (Va.) Inviational Tournament for NBA prospects on April 10-13.

Comments

Jay Dogger 2 years ago

"Sources indicate it would be a surprising development if Adams were reinstated to the team."

That's very telling. But I would still be surprised if HCBS wouldn't want a potential talent like Adams with the scholarship space we have. Obviously it would only be if Adams agreed to behave a certain way and accept that he has to earn court time.

It seems Self certainly has the power in this relationship. "Hand," as George Costanza would say.

JayHok 2 years ago

Only source that matters is Self. He said they will have another meeting. After all that work last year, the hardest part of the learning curve is over. I would think that plays a prominent role in the meeting. Self already said he understands the frustration of a freakishly athletic freshmen guard who expected to play more. Now it's time to have a big boy meeting. It's the equivalent of a son getting mad and yelling he's leaving the family before going to bed. Next morning the whole family is making pancakes and playing candyland. Self is a great dad and a great coach. I trust he'll make the right decision.

bookemdano 2 years ago

I think perhaps it indicates that HCBS doesn't think Rio's talent is worth putting up with his antics. And that's telling because HCBS is infinitely more easy-going than Roy Williams ever was. Roy would have shown him the door post-haste.

See ya Rio. Good luck.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years ago

2 things.

1. What are these antics you speak of? Besides some twitter crap, this kid has done nothing.

2. Why are people still talking about what Roy would've done 10 years later? My god, let him go.

Dan Cook 2 years ago

I have indicated there are issues, while also indicating I wouldn't be specific on a public message board. If you don't think there are reasons Anrio Adams won't be at KU next year, then you're wrong. I recognize the need to know is strong, but in this case I would recommend trusting Coach Self to make the right decision.

Jack Jones 2 years ago

Your "there are issues...wouldn't be specific" comment is absolute BS. Keep that kind of idiotic thinking to yourself.

Dan Cook 2 years ago

What exactly does that mean? You think it serves anyone's purpose to share details on a public message board? Not sure what your deal is, but calling people idiots who know what is going on isn't particularly smart on your part.

Dale Kroening 2 years ago

Obviously there are issues, otherwise things wouldnt be where theyre at. I doubt you know more about it than those close to the program although your post claims that you do . A majority of us do trust coach Self and know he will do whats best for KU basketball, but I would think if there was some MAJOR issue that will keep Self from reinstating Anrio it would be known and its likely coach wouldnt be meeting with Adams again if that were the case imo. Anrio may or may not be reinstated , but you shouldnt get on here and post that you know something more about it than those close to the program and not willing to state the specific issue or your source. We will see what happens Monday.

Dan Cook 2 years ago

I apologize. I won't do so in the future. I am relatively close to the program and I do know, so I was trying to offer to those fans that seem to think this is only about twitter accounts, a kid's poor judgment, and disappointment in playing time, that there is more to the topic. Strikes me as odd to see so many here taking a position that he's a kid and should be allowed mistakes, yet I can't comment that there is more to consider. Anyway, sorry to have violated the rules of this forum.

TheBoHawk 2 years ago

What, is "twitter crap", just nothing? You don't do that at the KU's, Dukes, Kentucky's, and UNC's... Not to mention, he is just not a leader, he's a copy-catter, and quite frankly, he seems like a douche nozzle. * see his look given to Coach Roy after we beat them in the tourney.

Andy Tweedy 2 years ago

Tyshawn did it, and he wasn't shown the door.

Jack Jones 2 years ago

What a "Master" of the King's English.

Mark Lindrud 2 years ago

Roy's prior actions are the least of my concerns. If Self wants him to stay ill support the coach, but Adams didn't show me enough talent on the court to keep him, especially with the kids we have coming in. I watched the 3 point contest and I'm more than happy with Connor replacing Adams.

VaJay 2 years ago

Let me add a couple "!!" to your post Dagger.

Robbk1066 2 years ago

agreed, if we allow him to comeback we need to be ready that this kid could put himself before the team again. He has a way of doing that when he does not get his way...

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

Robbk1066; Not sure who you are agreeing with nor who is 'we' but unless you're part of the athletic dept. maybe sticking with 'I' is a better idea.

I made a few mistakes my first year at KU and fortunately they didn't generate public discussions much less headlines in the LJW. I think we fans should let HCBS make the call on what's best for the team.

Next year's Big 12 Freshman of the Year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Xs6o...

Scott MacWilliams 2 years ago

22 for 25??? has anybody ever done that before in these shootouts??? How soon can he start firing away for us next year??

As for Rio,

It's up to HCBS to deal with this, and I'm perfectly happy to let him be the judge of Mr. Adams character. I'm not worried either way, but think it would be best overall if Rio stayed and grew into the system. He's already got a year invested, and that counts for alot in my book. He knows the returning players, they have good chemistry from what I can tell, and with all 5 starters gone, he should be seeing more PT.

If it's not too late, make it work out.

And Rock Chalk, too.

April13 2 years ago

Go to 2:02. He appears to be telling Mr. Australia exactly what time it is.

Marshall Ballard 2 years ago

his 3 at 2:22 is DEEEEP!!! the international line is deeper than college, and he is WAY behind that! Dang!

Matt Kenton 2 years ago

That is a beautiful shot. And he can hit it off the dribble!

Also considering Wayne Selden, I suddenly care much less about Rio.

Miguel Colón 2 years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing Bill give Rio another shot, I think with the stipulation that if he comes back you delete your Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

There is no way Rio should have to delete his FB and/or Twitter accounts. This isn't grade school. He made a mistake, and he paid for it. Many others have posted, not so pleasant things in the past, but Rio did cross the line with what he posted. He knows not to ever do anything like that again, so let's move on from it!!!
PS: This isn't grade school.

dylans 2 years ago

Well, he may pay for it with his scholarship to KU if Bill doesn't want to renew it.

Mark Lindrud 2 years ago

Self made Tyshawn disable is accounts until he deemed him mature so yeah, it can happen. If you act like a child you deserve what you get.

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

Are Rio's tweets worse than a DUI?

Getting arrested on a warrant for failing to appear at court?

Getting in a skirmish w/KU football players?

Exposing oneself?

Getting arrested after altercation involving girlfriend?

Being cited in misdemeanor battery case outside nightclub? (not Giddens)

This is just scratching the surface.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

the kid made a mistake. Even he admitted that. People who keep harping on it, are obviously people who can't move past their own problems in their lives. It isn't like any of us are perfect, although I can see some people here think they are. Noooooootttttt!!!

Jack Jones 2 years ago

"Treated like a grade schooler" ? (a) ~ no such word; (b) ~ This really isn't grade school regardless of what 'daddy' might say. Rio made some mistakes as an 18 or 19 year old adult, and Coach Self will treat him, and the situation, as just that.

shabbasuraj 2 years ago

Anyone else think that Frankamp is a bit undersized? I also wonder about his full tilt 'fastbreak' speed. Tell me why I should not worry.

trustyourSelf 2 years ago

You shouldn't worry cuz he's a baller. He's not as athletic as a prototypical guard, but he is very court savvy, completely fundamentally sound, and can (as noted in the article) shoot the lights out. We have other guards that are freak athletes and less fundamentally sound.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 2 years ago

Why should you worry?! The dude just hit 22 of 25 three-pointers (88%)... That's an impressive free throw percentage!

JJHAWK 2 years ago

You should worry. You should worry enough for at least three people. If you worry really hard, then I won't need to worry.

Thanking you in advance. RCJH.

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

No you shouldn't worry. Trey Burke, remember him, is the same size. The kid at OSU a couple years back had deadly range, shorter than Zacheus. Russell Wilson, too short to play QB just won the NFL rookie of the year. All of the talent analysts wouldn't have rated him so highly if he was too short. Bill Self wouldn't have offered him a scholarship seemingly like 5 years ago if he was too short. I may be wrong on this but quickness is much more important than speed in basketball, especially with KU so don't worry there either.

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

I think Craft is closer to 6' than 6'2 but even if not, Frankamp is going to be a star at KU.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

I believe wissoxfan was referring to Keiton Page from Oklahoma State.

That kid could stroke it from anywhere on the court.

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

Thanks InBill! That's who I was thinking of.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

I will never forget that little fella!

He was no punk on the court, despite his size.

LAJayhawk 2 years ago

Yep. Page is like 3 foot 2.

And Kramer carried him out of the hospital on an episode of Seinfeld.

....The government has been experimenting with pigmen since the 50s....

jhox 2 years ago

I don't worry about his height or fast break speed. He will be a very good offensive player. He's proven that against top level AAU and international competition. The real question will be how well he can defend. His playing time next year will depend on that.

Dale Kroening 2 years ago

Do you realize that the National POY is a 6'0" pg ? And was only a 3 star recruit coming out of HS ...... Im not worried.

Marshall Ballard 2 years ago

the thing I am most impressed with is his attitude...very Tyrel-esque as far as work-ethic and willingness to do whatever it takes to make his TEAM better...his best attribute right now is his shooting, yet he is working on his ball-handling because..."he is preparing to play the point if needed for KU." A teacher from North High said he is a very respectful and humble young man. My worry fades, knowing that we are getting a solid young man who will lead with hard work and a posititve attitude! Those two can go a long way in a season with young guys and a few egos!

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

Nicely stated..if anything, I think he is going to be better than Tyrel but not in boot camp.

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

No..He didn't seem to have much trouble 2 FIBA World Championships. Frank Mason is just about the same size.

They both bring a lot to any team.

Lance Hobson 2 years ago

Everyone thinks that but shooting is the great equalizer, and the kid can shoot. Slightly concerned about his bad outing in the state tourney but he just needs to shake that off. Looks like he has.

LAJayhawk 2 years ago

You want to hear a ridiculous prediction? I tend to make them from time to time when I'm feeling something. I said early in his freshman year that James Sims would be KU's all-time rushing leader by the time he graduates. He's going to need a great senior year to accomplish that, but it is possible (roughly 1300 yards).

Here's the crazy prediction.....

By the time Conner Frankamp graduates, he will be KU's all-time leading scorer. Yep, I said it.

Call me bat-sh** crazy and make fun of me all you want. Just be sure to give me the credit when it comes true.... :-)

Steven Mathew 2 years ago

Someone made that very same prediction on the youtube video of Conner Frankamp's final round.

LAJayhawk 2 years ago

That may or may not be the exact same person. :-)

texashawk10 2 years ago

I don't think he becomes the all time leading scorer at KU, but he could very well end up being the all time 3 point shooter in KU history.

Jim Erickson 2 years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing Adams back... Everyone referring to him as a "cancer" or as a selfish kid is being a bit unfair in my mind. I personally did far worse when I was 18 than an angry tweet. If he is committed and talented, lets bring him back.

Remember the Morris Twins BB Gun episode? They ended up being alright. Give the kid a chance.

Dan Cook 2 years ago

This isn't a matter of fans giving the kid another chance (and another and another), it's whether the program itself would be willing to give him another chance. Coaches, teammates, trainers, strength and conditioning, tutors, student managers, other students on campus, etc, etc, etc. The right decision will be made. If it means allowing the kid another chance, then so be it. I don't see that happening.

Jim Erickson 2 years ago

I agree but I don't consider a twitter/facebook rant as a major violation when you consider some of the guys who have come through the program and what they have done. To be honest, I'm glad to hear he is upset. Some guys can't handle the reality check they get when they walk into a program like ours but some thrive and rise to the occasion. Lets not give up on a freshman for a twitter/facebook rant.

Dan Cook 2 years ago

No chance this is just about a twitter/facebook rant. If that was all it was and everything else was good, do you really think there would have been a transfer announcement in the first place?

RJ King 2 years ago

The RiYoYo. SeRIOusly . . .

Speculation on mysteRIOus scenaRIO is causing RIOt.

HilaRIOus. UproaRIOus.

Are pRIOr comments spuRIOus?

VaRIOus fans enjoying bowl of CheeRIOs, while the cuRIOus debate attitude.

SupeRIOr . . . or infeRIOr?

Is he penuRIOus? Or just deliRIOus?

The fuRIOus vitRIOlically kick his injuRIOus, impeRIOus posteRIOr!

No one's exactly lugubRIOus . . . and it's a bit laboRIOus.

In fact, becoming seRIOcomic. Adams - the notoRIOus impresaRIO.

While he pRIOritizes, our other gloRIOus warRIOrs will continue victoRIOus.

PeRIOd.

Jack Jones 2 years ago

WELL STATED ~ notoRIOusly composed.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

As long as he is salubRIOus and not deleteRIOus to the team, I am OK with it. If he is not seRIOous the fans will be fuRIOus and will have a RIOt.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

Coach Self definitely should let Rio stay at K.U. The young man made a mistake, and he has learned from it. He has matured, and even though he was very disappointed with his playing time, there is a lot of truth to what he tweeted, he just should not have gone public with it. Everyone deserves a second change, and an opportunity to make amends for a mistake in judgement. He now fully understands about paying his dues at a program like K.U. and he probably also realizes that when he did get opportunities to play, he did not perform at the level (except one game in the Big 12 Tournament) that he needed to, that would garner him more playing time. And finally, he is the only "Big Guard" we would have returning next year, who could defend the big, athletic guards we will often face (I know Selden is also a guard with size and athleticism, but Rio already knows the system. Besides, Rio is the best dang dancer on the team. LOL PS: I also wonder if Rio wanting to stay, is an indication that B-Mac is leaving, thus, opening up a slot for more playing time next year. I hope that is not the case, because Ben needs another year at the College level. He needs to be in much better physical condition, stamina wise, to play in the NBA, where everyone is physical, and where there are so many more games, and so much more travel across the Country! He needs to be able to play well everywhere,not just at, or near home. He needs to run off those pics like Rip Hamilton, and not just for a minimal amount of times, but for a substantial amount of the game.
Also, to be honest, Rio showed me that he has the ability to get his own shot off, from anywhere on the floor, probably better than anyone on this seasons team, although he needs to incorporate setting up other players, into that arsenal, and if he works to become an even better defender (he showed signs of that also), and when he learns to protect the ball better (way too many careless turnovers, which ultimately cost him a lot of playing time), he truly can, and will be, the kind of guard we want, and need, in a K.U. uniform! Coach Self, please let Rio stay at the University of Kansas. Remember the term "Jayhawk for Life"? Didn't Rio just say that?

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

He's matured? What he's done this week is not any indication that he's matured. He made a rash decision and then another rash decision.

As far as BMAC is concerned I think his poverty stricken family is going to supercede another year in college. He has an unbelievable chance right now to help their situation and won't risk staying in college for another year. Sure, I agree he could use more college experience but all along it appears that he's going.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

He is what, maybe age 19? What is your age? Did you not ever make rash decisions? I think we all have, and ended up regretting them. These athletes have so many people (family, and so called friends) in their ear, all the time. At least he had the change of heart b4 he actually left, which means he does have some good people in his corner. Like his high school coach, for instance. And saying he wants to stay, even through all that has happened, is indeed a sign of maturity. It is saying, I know I messed up, and I am willing to work even harder, and willing to show that I have learned from this, and I will be better for it. If he messes up again, like he has, then he is gone. There were quite a few other players who have almost left K.U., but stayed, and it worked out for all involved, including Mario. Also, Russell Robinson, among others. And pertaining to B-Mac, you may be right about him leaving, but remember this: It is better to stay one more year, and improve enough where you end up having longevity in the NBA. Look at all of the players (not just K.U. players either), who left College early, and are now out of the NBA, getting only that first contract, and most of them are now broke! Good money says Ben comes back for one more year. I hope. lol

Kenneth Johnson 2 years ago

Are you blind? What I saw was that everytime Self put Rio in the game, he immediately turned it over. What a bust. Good riddance.

Ken Johnson (KU '70 MS) www.hoopszone.net

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

I think u r blind, or u just simply can't read. Since u could not comprehend when I said he had way too many careless turnovers when he did get in games, that cost him playing time. And there have been many players who came to K.U. and had problems getting their feet on the ground, so to speak. You are a fair weather fan, who thinks if someone is not perfect, then they are not good enough for you. Guess what? You are not perfect either. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

Jack Jones 2 years ago

Ken Johnson (KU '70 MS) Good riddance.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

Mario was turnover machine in his first year; he turned out just fine...

Mick Allen 2 years ago

You are correct about Mario. Remember the loss to UCLA in the Elite 8?

Robbk1066 2 years ago

What? matured? you dont make a life altering decision and then retract it a couple of days later cause you didn't think it through. The kid is still immature and if he is allowed to come back we will have to be prepared that this kid has a tendacy to put himself before the team. what a joke TRU.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

you obviously have tunnel vision. Are you perfect? Absolutely not. Don't be so judgmental, especially towards someone so young. Or don't you believe in giving someone another chance. I think that is the real case here. Some people are so arrogant and think they are so perfect, but I got news for ya, nobody is perfect. Coach Self will make the decision. Not you. Not me. He will ask the other coaches, and probably the team. Let's just see how things pan out. I'm not here to argue, but I will. LOLLLLL I respect most peoples opinion, but don't always agree, as people don't always agree with mine, but taking it personal is more immature than Rio. Not a joke! Hint!

Jack Jones 2 years ago

"You don't make a life altering decision and.................think it through." Good lord, "life altering decision."? A bit over the top, don't you think? This is college basketball we are talking about. I believe Coach Self will not share your perspective.

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

Is it? I mean it isn't like leaving to join the Army but where you go to school will have an impact on your life.

How much is the question and that we don't know.

Mark Lindrud 2 years ago

What did he do that showed maturity? You yell at all of us, but you avoid answering questions.

texashawk10 2 years ago

I'm not going to sit back and definitively say Adams has matured like some because only Rio knows why he wants to come back. If he's coming back because none of the schools he's interested in want him, that's not a sign of maturity and Rio should be cut loose. However, if Rio is coming back because he was smart enough to listen to guys like Releford, Withey, and EJ about having been in the same boat as Rio and now all 3 will end up playing pro ball, that to me would be a genuine sign of maturity an Rio should be allowed back.

All I know for sure is that if Bill likes why Rio wants to stay, then Rio will be allowed to stay and if Bill doesn't like Rio's reasoning to stay, then Rio will be suiting up elsewhere in the future.

Jack Jones 2 years ago

Baldy ~ turn your hearing aid down no ones yelling.

Mark Lindrud 2 years ago

Huh? What? Oh, checking my hearing aid. I am referring to Tru, who seems to be upset with those who want to disagree with his views at the mement.

joshuamc914 2 years ago

Everytime people mention conner Frabkanp they always say oh he isn't big enough, strong enough, or athletic enough to compete. But time after time he competes and is usually one if the best when it's all said and done. People need to stop worrying about his limitations and see that the man can shoot, pass, and has a high bball IQ he is going to be Kirk Hinrich 2.0. He won't be doubled or tripled like he was in HS neither he is going to be a four year baller at Kansas you can just see it. Another thing can fans stop saying Ben McLemore needs to come back to school smh. He is a to 3 pick leave go make your money man what you need to get better in certain areas you can do that in the NBA I loves having ben for his one year but the time has come to an end, he had to go help his family out. It was amazing he did what he did without a PG who could get him easy shots or hit him with passes here was comfortable on the floor. People can say BMac disappears but it wasn't his fault KU isn't playing this weekend tho. He'll be better with a real PG to get him the ball and make it easy on him I pray he lands in Cleveland with Kyrie were he won't have to be the man.

April13 2 years ago

Many don't understand that when you make Team USA, then lead them in scoring on their way to a world championship, that you've proven more than guys "voted" onto a McAllStar team. I think that he's proven that he is tall enough and athletic enough.

He's also shown that he can dribble a basketball which means that Naadir should be very, very afraid.

JayHok 2 years ago

Why would a team oriented point guard be concerned if there are good players on his team who can dribble, shoot, rebound, play defense. Sounds to me that's a formula to win.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

April13, he played for the "Under 17 or U17" team not Team USA which is mostly NBA players.
BTW, USA Basketball lists him as 6'-1".

Kip_McSmithers 2 years ago

Is the U17 team not a team made up of players solely from the USA that is funded by USA Basketball thus making it "Team USA U17"?

MattFoley 2 years ago

Sounds like Rio is about to get a rather large dose of reality.

ollerfarm 2 years ago

Ben not showing late in games, was account two people shooting all the time, Tharp and Johnson.

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

If coach Self doesn't take Adams back, then there is more to this story and it truly is a "trust in Self" moment.

On Frankamp, we know that the guy won't play if he can't cut it on defense, or if Self sees better options in front of him. A scenario that keeps him on the bench is a four-man perimeter rotation like this season, with Tharpe, Adams, White, and Selden .. experience plus the (potentially) more talented freshman. I spent a good part of this year clamoring for the shooter off the bench (AW3). Didn't happen.

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

I wouldn't leave Greene out of this discussion. I also was hoping to see AW3 on the court more often this last season.

Greene has some good videos on YouTube. If you get a chance, compare his stroke to Andrew White's. Very similar.

Seth Nesmith 2 years ago

I don't know if Rio's academic performance will allow him back to KU, I wonder if it was causing him problems finding another school that isn't labelled a JUCO.

Ted Hume 2 years ago

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this. Self was very specific and very telling when he said "academically and athletically" in his statement. these are carefully chosen words. It could easily be a case where his ability to perform off the court is a major concern. Hopefully we'll know by Monday. i don't need to repeat what many people have said, but of course whatever Self decides is the "right" choice and should be fine with everyone.

oldalum 2 years ago

I'd guess it will be Tuesday before we hear anything. The championship game is Monday, so he will be back that night.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

Ted, u r soooooo right. I saw it, but I didn't want to bring up the academic part of it. Thanks a lot, man. lol But the good thing is that class is still in session, so even if he is down a bit, he still has time to right the ship, if that is actually the case. Good observation. Now be quiet. ha ha ha ha Just kidding!

Hawk8086 2 years ago

Agree with HEM. Despite all of the opinions expressed here, none of us know the details about Rio. Self's call and I am confident that he will make the right move. Very exciting news about Frankamp. Always exciting to have a dead eye shooter. People forget that not very many freshmen get big minutes. Selden will be an exception. Returning players, even those that didn't play very much, (like AW3), have an advantage over the freshmen, Difficult to tell whom (if any) among Mason, Frankamp, and Greene will earn significant playing time.

KemDooKU 2 years ago

Maybe someone mentioned it but what about Wiggins Brother playing for Wichita St- that's about an hour and a half drive from Lawrence and he will be a senior next year - they could both drive and watch each others games next year - Come on Wiggins watch your brother play all of his games at Wichita St. his senior year - Do it for him and not the TEN million KU fans who will love you for it-

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

konkey, u r stepping way out of the box here, but in a good way. I like it. lol But I think u know that K.U. can't (or should I say, won't) open up that can of worms, not even to get Wiggins, especially since we would only have him for one year. unless we did a one time, home and away series, that was played in an arena, that is not on either campus. It would be even better to get Wichita State in a tournament where we would play them on a one time basis. Now that would work for me. Wishful thinking here, right.

mwmilsted 2 years ago

Perhaps HCBS will offer both Wiggin brothers scholarships to Kansas Univ. as a package deal.

79ictjhawk 2 years ago

Wichita State junior guard Nick Wiggins would have to sit out a year, Andrew is a OAD - how is that going to work? If Andrew wants to play with his brother, it would have to be at WSU.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

79, u r right. unless of course, Nick were to Graduate this year, then I think he could transfer without penalty. Or is that just a football rule? I'm not sure. But let's think about this. If we get Andrew, their parents could see both our games and WSU games, while only traveling once a week, if for instance, we played on a Monday, and WSU played on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Just food for thought. Somebody call the parents right now. lllllllll

chriz 2 years ago

If I'm Bill, I'm fuming at this. He's probably thinking "who does this guy think he is?" Except I'm sure he knows who he is.

This is a tough call. I still think Rio is making another selfish decision, particularly considering how he's handling it. I don't know if the change of mind is a sign that he's growing up. I don't think it is.

But hopefully, this is the beginning of a turnaround, similar to RussRob and Tyshawn. He's got the talent. Just don't know if he has the patience, maturity, or discipline.

JacquesMerde 2 years ago

I think I missed when Robinson and TT were granted releases and asked to be reinstated. If he is going to be as good as they were then by all means let him stay.

oldalum 2 years ago

As far as I know they didn't go that far. They talked about transferring, but never took that last step.

RockChalkGuy 2 years ago

Lots to absorb in this article. Conner will be a great addition to the squad. A lights-out shooter is a national rarity and certainly not a common occurrence for us over the last decade.

Manning is great. Kudos for getting the recognition.

Rio: KU has a proven track record of making patience pay off. Enjoy the ride. As time goes on, you will have the perspective to see the elite honor that comes from being a Jayhawk for life.

Wiggins...KU would be a perfect fit. We have an immediate need for exactly what you have and enough room for you to shine. KU has been and will be on some of the biggest stages in which to showcase your skills. Wanna grow athletically? Nobody is better than Hudy for that.

Don't want to lose Dooley. That being said, if you want a head coaching job, hold out for something better than Hofstra.

EJ and Travis....best of luck to both of you.

Marshall Ballard 2 years ago

I agree on the Hofstra job...thinking on our "outside family," a job like Hofstra might be a good building block for a guy like Brett Ballard...not sure he would leave the mid-west, but he might have to take a job a ways away to keep moving up.

JacquesMerde 2 years ago

Sometimes Nick Wiggins uses too many adverbs to understand what he is saying, but he is right about Kenturky. I think FSU might be the winner. UNC and KU have the same problem if not as obvious as Kenturky, i.e., letting him highlight his ability from the get-go. All three have many excellent players as holdovers and incoming.

I still think letting Rio stay is a gamble considering all that has happened. I am 99 percent sure coach Self will make the right decision. He does most of the time, excluding the last minute and a half of the Michigan game.

leonard 2 years ago

What I know about Rio is what I've seen. A very gifted but very raw talent on the court...and an immature young man (childish use of social media)...exhibiting some classless behavior (the snubbing of Coach Williams).

What I don't know about Rio is what goes on with his teammates in Jayhawk Towers...his academic efforts...or his efforts on the practice court. But you can bet your last dollar that Coach Self does!

RJ King 2 years ago

My thoughts exactly. Does anyone know who is Rio's roommate? I suspect that it's kinda hard to take Rio in large doses.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

That is quite the observation, considering you have probably never met the kid.

Give him the benefit of the doubt. We all deserve a second chance.

It is what we do with that second chance that defines us.

RJ King 2 years ago

What part of Leonard and my observations did not happen? He IS raw on the court, he DID use twitter inappropriately, he DID snub Roy. We clearly stated and echoed that we DON'T know what goes on off camera. Obviously I've never met him, but generally, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck . . .

I wondered about the roommate situation because it might help round out the picture for curious minds. For ME, Rio gives off a "look at me" vibe that I find annoying. I was not trying to convince others to join me in that thought.

As for what we do with a second chance - Rio has had about four chances now to handle this behind closed doors. Let's hope the 5th time is the charm.

Greg Lux 2 years ago

I personally hope Rio is allowed to stay and learn. He's a troubled young man and I would hate to see us turn him out when he has learned his lesson. He has always been a great teammate while not playing. He supported his teammates. What more can we give him if not another chance.

Rock Chalk

Phoggie_Thinking 2 years ago

Rio is having a nice long weekend. He better be in church in the morning praying. The tweeter announcement probably didn't go over real well with Self (especially after the jump the gun announcement about leaving). Nothing wrong with tweeter you just don't show up the MAN. I don't care it is grade school or Sr. citizen's lunch line, a guy has to know his place. Rio has a nice long weekend to figure out how to "listen" more, "talk" less, and even then I don't know if Coach Self will say the words that Rio wants to hear.

oldalum 2 years ago

I agree, Phoggie. Twice he put Self in the awkward position of having to respond to the media after the fact. Self must have exploded when the second one hit and the LJW was on his phone asking for details. He's going to have to decide if the potential is worth all that goes with it.

Phoggie_Thinking 2 years ago

PS Frankamp is a gunner. Wow that stuff is fun to watch. It will look even better when in Crimson and Blue.

I don't think even Wiggins know what he is going to do, but can we just fast forward to next years season now? Man it is going to be fun to see a whole new team with so many questions.

Robbk1066 2 years ago

I am sure Self appreciates some time before he talks to Adams. It is Self's decision, and if he lets him come back he is going to have to live with any future issues if there are any. His HS school coach's comments are interesting, there is a known maturity issue. we need bodies but not sure myself if this kid acts up again we don't need the distractions. Francamp is going to be fun to watch while he is at KU, what a career in front of this young man.

Brian Skelly 2 years ago

Rio isnt coming back. He may want to, but my guess is Self is going to have him move along. While the HS coaches quotes arent overly telling, it does some shed light on Rio. If his talent was on par with his ability to fire out 125 characters a minute he might have played more minutes this year. Lord knows we needed better play from our guards at times.

This is a tempest in a teapot however. He's replaceable and odds are one of the incoming guys would have pushed him on minutes anyway. If he's not going to be happy he should go somewhere he will be. Good luck to him.

Christopher Giordano 2 years ago

With or without Rio this team stands to be the most balanced and athletic team Self has put together since 2005. There is a great opportunity to utilize 10 players and really get out and pressure. Naadir will take another great step and be the PG we needed this year. Perry Ellis will be a beast. And Wayne Selden will be a more complete McLemore (utilize his dribble to get to the rim).

texashawk10 2 years ago

My take on the Rio situation is that he made an uninformed decision about wanting to go get minutes elsewhere and then somebody, don't know if it was family or teammates, got through to him to make him realize that KU will give him his best shot at the NBA. I believe Self would like to keep Rio around because Rio has a chance to be a very good player by the time he leaves KU and Rio is also the only player in the 6'2"-6'4" range with the possibility of being in KU's rotation and could be an important piece on defense next season because of that.

I've read a few people speculating that Rio might be failing or close to failing and I'm not buying that. Bill Self wouldn't have granted Rio his release if that were the case because of the APR hit KU would take from Rio leaving not in good academic standing. One player doing so won't keep KU out of the NCAA tournament, but it's not a smart precedent to set either. When Self meets with Rio this week, I imagine Self will want to know why Rio changed his mind and where Rio's head is at. From there, I'm guessing Self will make the decision if Rio wants to stay for the right reasons and if he likes why Rio is choosing to stay, then Rio will be allowed stay.

As far as replacing Rio if Bill decides to go in that direction, good news for Connor Frankamp potentially getting 15-20 minutes next season. Bill Self uses a 9 man rotation, not always with 9 different players. Bill likes his subs to be a small guard (1-2), a big guard (2-3), and 2 front court subs. KU did use 8 bodies this season in the rotation, but it was still a 9 man rotation and here's why. EJ, BMac, Relly, KY, and Withey were the starting 5 with Tharpe as the small guard sub, and Ellis and Traylor as the front court subs. That leaves the big guard sub which many hoped would be AW3, but he didn't develop enough to crack the rotation which left EJ to double up as the starting PG and as the big guard sub.

Next season could have 9 players for the 9 rotation spots and if Rio stays, KU has 10 bodies fighting for the 9 roles to fill. Rio, again if he's allowed to stay, and CF most likely will be the two fighting for a rotation spot as the small guard sub. I'm not ignoring Mason, I'm just going off a history that says players ranked as low as Mason don't see meaningful minutes as a freshman under Self and end up tranferring more times than not. The next 2-3 years for KU look very bright as Self has landed one of his two greatest classes with only one of those players having OAD potential (Selden) unless Self lands Wiggins (I'm not expecting that to happen), so it should be a lot of fun watching this group develop.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years ago

HC Self has said many time (if you listen to his weekly show) that the favors an 8 man rotation, and by tournament time it is more like 7 player getting the lion's share of the minutes.
Maybe next year, if he has a deep bench he can rely on, he might use a 9 man rotation, but that is not his stated preference. I believe I have heard other coaches state the same thing, so it is not unique to HC Self.

Yonatan Negash 2 years ago

Wiggins is going to either North Carolina or Kansas. In my mind, if Kentucky was a serious consideration, he would have made that commitment by now. There is nothing standing in his way to make that commitment. The problem for Kentucky is that the forward position is already loaded with James Young and Alex Poythress at small forward and you have Juluis Randle and Marcus Lee at the power forward position. I expect Wiggins to play, small forward and unless Alex Poythress declares to NBA, not sure Kentucky has any chance of getting Wiggins.

The reason why Wiggins elected to wait another two or three weeks, is because the NBA’s deadline to declare for the draft is April 28 (three weeks from now) . North Carolina is the front runner to land Wiggins, depending on JMM's decision. If James Michael McAdoo decides to return for his third year, Wiggins will go to North Carolina. If James Michael McAdoo decides to declare for the NBA draft, Wiggins goes to Kansas.

I have completely written off Florida State and Kentucky, if those two schools were in serious considerations, what's the hold up? Florida State will not win next year, nor do they have a strong recruiting class (ranked 34th) coming in to help Wiggins win.

In my opinion, James Michael McAdoo wii declare.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years ago

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to what Andrew Wiggins has actually been saying over the past week or two. Nobody knows where he is going, who is leading, who is behind, etc. Andrew's biggest recruiting point is that he wants to win a National Championship in his only year of college - who best gives him that chance? Kentucky Who said a few days ago that if he went to Kentucky they would win it for sure - Andrew Wiggins. Andrew is going to start and play 30+ minutes a minutes no matter where he goes. Does Poythress coming back hurt Kentucky's chances - possibly. But does playing against the greatest talent in the country everyday in practice going to make you a better player and more ready for the NBA - Yes. Bottom line he is still trying to figure out the best fit in terms of system and returning players. At the Jordan game next Saturday, Im sure he will be starting for the East team with Julius Randle and the Harrison twins. Could that help answer his remaining questions - possibly. He isn't waiting for JMM decision, I can assure that.

Yonatan Negash 2 years ago

First, you have no idea what I pay attention to or don't pay attention to. When you start your response by attempting to deflect my thoughts and opinion, you lose credibility. Speaking of paying attention to what Andrew Wiggins has said, are you listening to what he has said repeatedly? He wants to play for a good coach (he's not refereeing to the coach at Kentucky). The two schools Andrew Wiggins is struggling the most with are North Carolina and Kansas (both have good coach's). I'd also like to direct your attention to the story above, are you listening to what his brother is saying?

Secondly, I want to remind you, Kentucky is not a lock to win the National Championship. The players going to Kentucky, will need to develop a chemistry. Hope you've learned from what happened to the Kentucky team this year. If my mind, Kansas and North Carolina can give Wiggins the same "chance" to win the national championship. And I am not basing my assumption on talent alone.

Kentucky and Florida State are out. If you disagree, all you have to do is answer why hasn't he committed to them? Florida State is suppose to be the school of choice of his parents and Kentucky is suppose to be a slam dunk (please). If he wanted to go to either Florida State or Kentucky, there is nothing holding him back from committing to either school.

It's down to Kansas and North Carolina. You'll see soon.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years ago

First of all, I am on record as saying all 4 schools are in play. You are the one eliminating FSU and Kentucky. To your question why hasn't he committed to Kentucky - Poythress just announce this past week that he is coming back and Wiggins has been in Chicago for most of the week for McD AA game. Why hasn't he committed to Kansas? He knows who exactly is coming back since KU is going to end up losing all 5 starters. Second of all, do you actually believe Kansas has an equal chance as Kentucky at winning the National Championship next year??? Then I can assure you that you are the only one. Nobody is saying UK is a lock to win the NC, but they have the best chance. Kentucky is returning a couple of McD AA plus Cauley-Stein (1st round draft pick) to the greatest high school recruiting class ever. Has Andrew Wiggins say that if he goes to Kansas that they will win the NC? Kentucky is the favorite to win the NC at 3/1, Kansas is currently at 15/1. The bottom line is NOBODY knows for sure what he is thinking but I believe it will be sorted out shortly after the Jordan game next week.

woowoowoo01 2 years ago

I agree with all you have said and I can't answer the question to why he hasn't decided. With that said, I still think he's going to Kentucky. As a die-hard KU fan, I will cross my fingers that I'm wrong.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years ago

You can't answer the question because Andrew Wiggins still doesn't know. Once he does, you will know right away because he has stated he hates the recruiting process going on.

sarcastichawk 2 years ago

From now on I assume Kentucky will get whomever they target and only weigh other school's options in my head for fun.

Haven't we learned our lesson already?

chriz 2 years ago

Who wouldn't love to be a fly on the wall in Monday morning's "meeting" (ass chewing)

Jack Jones 2 years ago

"Ass chewing"? You obviously don't know s... ~ Coach Self

chriz 2 years ago

Huh? You don't think he's gonna give Rio an earful?

texashawk10 2 years ago

What benefit comes from a butt chewing in this situation? This will be a meeting where Self wants to find out in detail why Rio wanted to leave, why he now wants to stay, and where Rio's mind is at. After Rio is done talking, Self will give Rio a lot of constructive criticism for the furure and make a decision about Rio's future as a Jayhawk. This will be more like a father-son life lesson talk than a butt chewing if I had to guess about how their meeting will go this week.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

Here is my predicted rotation for KU next season. Obviously things would change if we added the 'impact player' HCBS is searching for. I really think Rio is going to redshirt this season as HCBS will test his dedication to the program.

PG-Tharpe 35 minutes -Frankamp 5 minutes

SG- Selden 30 minutes - Frankamp 10 minutes

SF- White 25 minutes - Selden 5 minutes - Greene 5 minutes - Ellis 5 minutes

PF- Ellis 30 minutes - Traylor 10 minutes

C- Embiid 20 minutes - Lucas 15 minutes - Traylor 5 minutes

The SF or 3 spot was the one that gave me the most trouble. Is White the clear cut leader? Can he play defense in long enough spurts to stay on the court? How good is Greene? Is he just like White, needing a year to be accustomed to the college game (aka learn defense)? Could Perry play a little at the 3 like everyone expected when he first arrived?

Hopefully Wiggins ends this debate.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

Bill & Jay, you guys are both right there in the ball park. I do however, think the minutes will be more closely distributed, because I think this team will be so much deeper, and so much more talented, overall. I see Lucus starting at Center, because as Self said, he will be a load. The guy is a monster, physically. Embiid needs to learn the game, and add a lot of muscle, but he has tremendous upside. Jay, I think Perry can play the 3, especially if we play a team that has a 2 guard rotation, as that will give us tremendous size and athleticism. If Coach lets Rio stay, and his grades are a problem, I think Rio works hard to get them to where they need to be, the rest of this year, and then maybe summer school, so there are options on that. No way he redshirts, as he does have the size we will sometimes need at the PG position! Jay, have you heard this: Mason is a similar player to Sherron? Also, I am just guessing at all of this stuff, but the returning players do have a big advantage, of knowing the system, and also knowing how Coach Self wants defense to be played at this level, which I know Bill was talking about.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

Could you imagine Tharpe, Selden, Ellis, Traylor, and Embiid on the court together?!

That would be an extremely athletic group of players on the court, who could still use their strength and toughness to dominate opponents.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

If that were the combo. on the floor I'd like to see if Perry could add the 3 pt. shot to his repertoire a'la the Morris twins then.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

If Greene has lateral quickness and can stay in front of his defender he is going to play. A lot.

I just havent seen what he can do on that end of the court yet. And until I have some sort of evidence, I will lean in the direction of experience.

However, AW3 better work on his lateral quickness as well. This could be the most intriguing postion battle going forward, in my opinion.

Hawk8086 2 years ago

Hard to say how it's going to play out, but your prediction seems reasonable. HCBS couldn't even tell you how it is going to play out at this point. I just saw Frankamp in the 3 pt contest and seeing him shoot is a lot more exciting than hearing about him shoot! Whether he plays a lot this year or later on remains to be seen, but the thought of him filling it up in AFH is pretty exciting!

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

Oh I completely understand its speculation.

But that is the only thing I have for the next 7 months!!!

texashawk10 2 years ago

I don't see any way 3 players average 35 minutes per game if Self ends up with 9 bodies in the rotation. Nobody averaged that many with 8 bodies this season. I talked about it above that Self uses a 9 man rotation, not always with 9 different players as players sometimes double up on roles as EJ did this season. Here's the list of the 9 rotation spots.

Starters

PG

SG

SF

PF

C

Bench

Small Guard (1-2)

Big Guard (2-3)

Front Court

Front Court

My best guess at a rotation now would be

PG: Tharpe

SG: Selden

SF: White/Greene

PF: Ellis

C: Lucas/Embiid

Small Guard: Adams/Frankamp

Big Guard: White/Greene

Front Court: Traylor

Front Court: Lucas/Embiid

AW3 and Brannen Greene will battle for the starting 3 spot unless Wiggins decides to come to KU and then they fight for the big guard spot and the loser gets garbage minutes. Self said last fall that Traylor and Lucas were close and I see no reason to doubt that and I think Lucas' size gives him an edge over Traylor to battle with Embiid for a spot next to Ellis and the loser of Lucas/Embiid coming off the bench. Adams and Frankamp will battle for the small guard spot with the loser out of the rotation. If Self determines he doesn't want Adams back, then CF will be the small guard sub.

As for minutes next season I don't think you're far off on anybody except Greene. I think Tharpe and Ellis are both 32-33 mpg players and I think Selden is 30 mpg player. I think the other 3 front court players are somewhere between 10-20 minutes to fill out the other 47-48 front court minutes. I think the starting 3 gets about 25 mpg assuming it's not Wiggins. I think the small guard sub winner gets 10-15 a game and the big guard sub gets 15-20 mpg.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

I agree about the 35 minutes per game. It will probably actually be around 32 or so, in my opinion, but then the math would be way too hard for me to calculate for the subs! I was rounding up or down minutes and basically using this as a gauge on how many individuals will be in our rotation.

Also, with Greene. I could see his minutes substantially rise and possibly take from AW3 minutes. That all depends on his defensive capabilities, which we have yet to see.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

I don't know about "well done".

I think that you're WAY underselling Greene.

A LOT of services have him even higher rated than Selden!!!!

I would honestly be shocked if he didn't start over White III.

Joe Baker 2 years ago

LOL- If you play Greene and Frankamp 5 mins or less, you might as well redshirt them. Embiid will have to be an immediate impact and learn the Self system inside. You're wrong the first half of the season between Embiid and Lucas. Lucas starts and Embiid will give Lucas some great rests.
Lucas 30 mins Embiid - 10 +/- 5 mins pending Lucas' development and Self said Lucas is a load, he starts. I love Embiid, but no big man just jumps into the rotation for 20 mins.

Steve Brown 2 years ago

Saturday, yes it is game day.

I am hanging the flag, along with our neighbors, all the Tiger & Purple flags put away. The crimson and blue will wave this weekend in tribute to dances past and yet to come. They call us snobs & delusional, Guilty. Guess they don't sell Shocker garage flags, don't see any here in JoCo.

Got the DVR set, snacks coming out, beverages iced down, house music system warming up by playing Crimson & Blue, I'm a JJJ Hawk, even Home on the Range, Dorothy will sing over the rainbow at noon, it's a tradition for final fours. From 3-4 pm we play the chant, Georgian Monks chant, it's not the same yet close.

Windex the front storm door window, Tiger rug mat upside down on front step to clean your feet of impurities. Yet they are not coming today, I am ready, yet they won't come, they will mulch and shop and fish and hit balls into the rough. My pals won't fill my home today, and I will miss them, everyone.

Years ago at Dallas Final Four walking from Anotole Hotel to Reunion Arena with our early versions of the red beak 'em shirt, all the Louisville fans honked and waved thinking it was a mamouth cardinal on our front, we just waved the trojan horse and smiled. We were thanking Ted who recruited Calvin Ronnie and the others, wishing him well, glad to have Larry, our future was ahead of us.

Lots of March dances since that spring day, most of them hurt in the end, why do we come back knowing the pain, I am not sure, somebody help me, when does this emptiness subside, is it just a game or is it religion. Somebody help me.

go shockers I suppose . . . .

RJ King 2 years ago

Nice prose lighthawk. You don't need help - we all have our own version of normal. And we come back for the ride. Enjoyed your visuals!

Miles away on the west coast, my house is filled with orange today. (Spouse is a Syracuse grad.) Supported me last year while vacationing in DC. We ended up eating pizza in our hotel room so I could watch my beloved hawks, instead of exploring fine dining out on the town.

This week, I watch as spouse records and watches all the pregame shows, models 'cuse wardrobe, and lives online at cbs and espn. My behavior from last year is replicated. It hurts some, but it also gives me perspective from behind my crimson and blue glasses.

Our "fandom" provides yet another bond in the marriage. I will pretend to root for the Orange, but deep inside I will be pulling for Michigan - to try to make our near victory more palatable.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Eh.....found it impossible to root for either.

Headed into this Final Four rooting interests HAD TO BE 1. Wichita State, 2. Louisville, 3. Eh, who cares after that....MAYBE Michigan.......probably Syracuse dead last.

Keith Kienzle 2 years ago

You gave me chills, lighthawk. Beautiful.

DanR 2 years ago

I enjoyed that too, lighthawk. Most of the March dances do hurt, but the journey is always interesting. It could be worse. Keep hanging the flag!

Dan Cook 2 years ago

My takeaway from this article is Conner Frankamp. 22 of 25 to win a shootout between very high profile talents? That's amazing. Kudos and congrats to Conner!! Far more interesting than as the world turns with Anrio.

JayHok 2 years ago

Also to make the finals he shot 22/25. He shot a total of 44/50 for 88%.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Still think Conner's not going to "get it" for a while much like Perry didn't.

He might still have some early good shooting games, but I think he'll get in the doghouse for not sticking with 'em on D or turning it over, or common freshmen mistakes. I look forward to Conner Years 2 - 4 as I don't think we're going to see what you all seem to almost expect to see next year.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

Hello everyone. Conner Frankamp can flat out play the game!!! Does he need to add muscle to his frame? Absolutely! Is he the only College player who needs to, or who needed to do so? Absolutely not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he play on a National team, that won a Gold Medal. I think he was a starter, and he may have also been the leading scorer on that team, but I'm not sure about that.
PS: You don't have to be exceptionally strong to come off a pick, and shoot a 3! Conner will be fine, and he will get stronger. By the way, Joel Embiid, the #2 Center in the incoming class, who has the most upside of all of the Centers, also needs to put on muscle, and get a lot stronger, and he is playing in the paint, where it is always a war. Our guys will be fine.

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

Can he play defense? Isn't that a major criteria for playing under coach Self?

Is he a D-1 quality ball handler? Seems it would be a necessity given his size.

Those are two big questions we really don't know the answer to.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

Elite, You make a good point, especially in coach Selfs system, but if CF was good enough to start and play significant minutes for a World Championship U.S. Team, he can get good minutes at K.U. He improved his ball handling tremendously, from his junior to senior years, so he can now get his shot off without always needing picks to do so, We also play "Team Defense", and that can help cover up one on one defensive deficiencies, which many players have had, over the years. And last, but not least, you often see weak defensive players, who are great 3 point shoots, get good minutes on great teams, because 3, is always better than 2, if your team is the one getting the 3's! lol

kennethst 2 years ago

Ughhhhhhhhh!! All these comments about Rio Adams? Really? Yikes.

Stay......go........I don't really care.

KU should be playing in a few hours in the Final Four.......that's what we should be talking about. I still can't believe they lost that game. Makes me sick. Oh well......would have.....should have......could have.

jayhawkinATL 2 years ago

I'm with ya. Life in the ATL was been hard knowing that we SHOULD be here. Also hard to believe it was just a week ago that our worlds came crashing down...seems like months.

Keith Kienzle 2 years ago

Yeah, I asked my wife today "what time is Kansas playing? Oh, right."

Mike Bratisax 2 years ago

Rough watching Michigan make it to the final game knowing we had a lead almost impossible to lose and controlled the game for about 37 min.

Joseph Bullock 2 years ago

hey, I already had my hotel room just down the street from the Georgia Dome. you know I am pissed. except for the fact that the rooms were over $300.00 per night. lol still pissed though. opportunities like that don't come every year. but it is, what it is. I am really TRULYBLUE now. lilllll

Mark Lindrud 2 years ago

TruBlue, this is all I ask. When we disagree with you stop taking it personal. You've had some very objective points on here that I've respected, but historically when you disagree with a post you nearly freak out. I'm ok with Rio leaving, but if he stays he needs to show Self he truly knows what it means to be a Jayhawk for Life. That being said I'm excited about the talent we've got coming in and believe our chances to go a Decade of Dominance very possible. Rock Chalk everyone, remember we all are Jayhawks, together!

Brian Skelly 2 years ago

The minutes will be divided up simply on who Self trusts to play them. Guessing at this point is just that. Let's face it... im quite sure Self wanted Ellis to be the Ellis we saw later in the season far, far, far earlier than he ended up. Young was nice piece and clearly a very good 'glue guy'. But my guess is Self would have loved Ellis (or even Traylor) to steal (earn) minutes from that spot.

It's been several years since there was this many spots opening up. The reality is whom ever plays the best (regardless of talent) will be the ones who end up getting more minutes. Seeing Tharpe get pushed for minutes would bode well for this team. It'd mean the guards are coming in and ready to go.

kay_you 2 years ago

If WSU could just recruit players from Wichita high schools they'd be pretty good. Very impressive run in the tournament. Gave Louisville all they could handle. Would like to see the possession rule changed. Last two minutes make it a jump ball.

Congrats to the Shockers!

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

Who would have thought last year when Perry Ellis was picking between Kansas, Kentucky, and Wichita State that....

Kentucky would not even make the tournament

And Wichita State would go further than any other Kansas school and reach the Final Four.

What a crazy year!

JayHok 2 years ago

Good run Wheat-Shockers. All the state schools across Kansas share your pain.

William Weissbeck 2 years ago

Recruiting is a strange game. Michigan starts 2 freshmen and the sixth man (also a freshman) all hale from NW Indiana and were not heavily recruited by either Purdue or IU. In the case of Glen Robinson III (the reverse layup), his dad was second to Rick Mount as Mr. Purdue basketball, yet GR3 didn't go there. He was good, but by no means a dominant force in Indiana HS BB. Same with McGery from Chesterton, although Duke apparently showed some interest. The 6th man, Albrect, who shot 6 for 6 from 3 vs. Florida, is only 5'11". Self has let a couple of Kansas kids get away in the last year. Maybe they wouldn't fit. If anything, Wiggens should be looking at Selden who did a really good job feeding him the ball in the McDonald's game.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

I believe I saw Selden and Wiggins interacting a bit during the dunk contest as well.

I know it means absolutely nothing.

Hopefully Wiggins realizes how much of a beast Selden is and wants to team up with him at the University of Kansas.

jay381 2 years ago

His brother plays on the WSU squad and has been widely quoted the past couple of days that KY may NOT be the best school for his brother. You can do a search and find several articles on the subject.

The fact his brother is playing in KS at least should say his parents are not opposed to their kids playing in KS.

We can only hope. None of us know. I did like the comments of his brother.

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

Don't forget EJ hails from NW Indiana as well, Gary if I'm not mistaken.

RJ King 2 years ago

He only went to HS for the last couple years in Vegas. He grew up in Indiana.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

assuming you're talking about Cauley-Stein & Ojeleye, huh?

Yeah, I'm curious why we didn't go after Ojeleye too. I think the only reason that we didn't is that we already had Greene signed and not real slot for him.

Joe Baker 2 years ago

W4- good observation with Wigs and Selden.

Mark Wooden 2 years ago

If he lets him back it will be as a walk-on. By being released from his scholarship he basically impeded his participation in the sport he had a scholarship for. So, if he comes back he will have to earn it, just like Christian Moody did by busting his ass.

KemDooKU 2 years ago

I am glad we got Joel but dang I miss Withey already - that one is going to hurt the most of any of the starting five - hard to replace a beast in the middle - one free throw and I might be sitting on the couch enjoying a cold one watching my Hawks - instead I am sitting on the pooper leaving a message for u all - enjoy!!!!

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Eh - I think Lucas & Embiid will surprise you.

I think the one that's going to hurt the most will be the perimeter defense of Releford!!!

KemDooKU 2 years ago

The more video I watch of our incoming freshman the more I want to take off all my clothes and run down the street with a KU flag in my hand-

RJ King 2 years ago

and people were complaining about the photograph of Pollard . . .

Joe Baker 2 years ago

Old School moment- LOL, that's great.

Alex Laughlin 2 years ago

Anyone think Frankamp is going to be just like Jeff Boschee?

MinorThreat 2 years ago

Interesting guy to compare him too... either way I say he goes down as one of KU's best 3 pt shooters ever.

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

I would hope he is at least Jeff Boschee (not a knock on Boschee at all, loved him) and possibly as good as Kirk Hinrich.

Though I hate to compare small white guys to other small white guys just because they are small white guys.

RJ King 2 years ago

Hinrich has 3 or 4" on Frankamp.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

I hope he ends up as more than that (pretty much undersized '2" guard who's only real positive was the spot-up 3), but that is EXACTLY who I've been envisioning him ending up like.

HOPEFULLY, he proves to us that he can defend and handle the ball more / better than Boschee did. Having said that - if he puts up that many 3's - have to be happy with that at least. Would love to see him drive more than Jeff did too though.

VaJay 2 years ago

OK, the UM-Orange game just wrapped up & I'm feeling sick to my stomach again :(

(the only good part is I feel less ill than I did during the UM-FL matchup, when I couldn't even watch it.

I kept picturing the "Hawks taking it to Boehiem's team instead of UM. Interesting end of the game handshake from him - he hardly acknowledged the UM coach at the end, said nothing & basically showed no class - not cool.

Can't wait till next season...

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

Maybe because they dealt KU one of our most painful losses, but I absolutely loathe Syracuse and their maul ball zone. I guess because I'm also a big 10 fan, I don't mind watching MU winning, but I'm just glad Syr. is out of it. Two years in a row of another team I loathe winning it all would be too much to take!

Adam Tyler 2 years ago

My bitterness was causing me to cheer for Syracuse in this one.

Until I saw Gerry McNamara on their bench.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

Over the years I find myself hating almost too many teams.

In the '80's it was Georgetown. In the late '80's / early '90s it was UNLV.

Even since '91, Duke has perennially been one of them.

Only recently (pretty much since Calipari went there) has UK become one to hate.

But yes, primarily because of the losses in '97 & '03 I find it hard to not wish bad things upon Arizona & Syracuse as well.

And, of course, there's Mizzou.

I think for me it probably goes:

1) Kentucky (yep, due to Cal, they're making the top of the list) 2) Mizzou 3) (tie) Duke / Syracuse 5) Arizona....been long enough now it's starting to subside (16 years)

KemDooKU 2 years ago

Conner should not be compared to Banshee - banshee was not a top 40 player and he did not lead the national team to a championship - they may be white and dead eye from out far but after that the comparison ends - I liked Banshee but he don't have game like the Franken doo

Hawk8086 2 years ago

Boschee was a McDonald's All American.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

I was thinking the SAME THING. I was like, "Wait a second! I thought Boschee WAS really highly rated when we got him!!!"

Lance Hobson 2 years ago

Seeing Michigan keep winning is heartbreaking. 2013, what could have been.

LSHawk 2 years ago

Agreed Strike, I was at the game last week and still have a hard time accepting it.

archercc 2 years ago

For me it takes some of the edge off if you do lose to the eventual champion. Losing to winners sucks, losing to losers is worse.

Kevin Huffman 2 years ago

For Boschee from statsheet.com:

Also, Boschee was 6'-1 comparted to Conner being 6'. Given what we saw from Perry, I'm a LOT more cautious than some of you about what to expect from Frankamp next season. On the up-side I'm not sure that Perry's the "gym-rat" that I've heard Conner espoused to be. On the down-side, I'm not sure that he's the "scholar" that Perry is either though.

Having said that - NO WAY could you doubt what Selden will bring!!!!

Rankings

RSCI:

(Top 100)

Dave Telep:

#47

HS Analyst:

HS Analyst:

HS Analyst:

Learn more about the RSCI Ranking System

j128v897 2 years ago

Looks like Bill Self turned down Anrio and he is going to transfer after all.

MinorThreat 2 years ago

Where's this update coming from??

MinorThreat 2 years ago

I see it now.. twitter. Bye ya Rio.... blessings to you wherever you end up!