Originally published April 3, 2013 at 01:25p.m., updated April 3, 2013 at 11:50p.m.

Rio Adams: Transfer from KU a ‘family decision’

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Rio Adams has a message for Kansas University basketball fans as he prepares to continue his college career someplace other than KU.

“It was a great run. I appreciate the support,” Adams, a 6-foot-3 freshman from Seattle, told the Journal-World Wednesday night, several hours after it was announced he was granted a release by coach Bill Self to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined school.

“I feel like going home and playing closer is better for me and my family,” Adams added. “This was definitely a family decision and it was a decision I wanted to do that would be best for my situation.”

Adams — he scored 27 points while playing in 24 games with six assists against 11 turnovers — said he knows where he wants to transfer but is not prepared to reveal the school yet. According to the Seattle Times, Adams had mentioned UCLA, Oregon, Arizona and Washington on Twitter, but deleted the post.

“I’m wanting to go toward home,” he said. “It’s basically decided, but I have to talk to my family members.”

He said his decision to leave was “best for my family and best for the coaches (at KU) as well.”

“I’ve enjoyed every part of this year,” Adams stated. “I’ve definitely grown and matured from it. There were a lot of great moments and downfalls that made me better. I appreciated the team, the coaching staff and the fans a lot. This was an experience that I will probably never be able to see again. I’m happy I was able to play with this team and be part of something great.”

Explained coach Bill Self: “Anrio and I met about his future, both academically and athletically, and we believe it is in his best interest to look into potential opportunities that may exist closer to home. Anrio is a very talented kid. We’ve enjoyed him being here. He was a good teammate and I know frustration can set in when you don’t play a lot, but he kept a good attitude and we should all support him in whatever decision he makes. I know our staff is 100 percent in support of him doing what’s best for his life.”

Adams’ best game of the season was an 11-point outing against Texas Tech in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Tournament on March 14.

Asked what he’ll remember the most about KU, he told the J-W: “Just the urgency. You want to go hard every day because of what you are playing for. That was special to me.”

Selden scores 13: Future KU guard Wayne Selden scored 13 points off 5-of-7 shooting (2-of-4 threes) with five rebounds and three assists in the East’s 110-99 loss to the West in the McDonald’s All-America game, Wednesday in Chicago. Andrew Wiggins, who is considering Kansas, among others, had 19 points. Arizona commit Aaron Gordon was MVP with 24 points.

Wiggins speaks to USA Today: Andrew Wiggins, a 6-8, 210-pound forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who has a final list of KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State, tells USA Today he’s tiring of recruiting.

“I think everyone else is more worried about my recruitment than me. Isn’t that funny?” Wiggins told USA Today.

“I wish I could just play and that’s it,” Wiggins added. “I wish I knew where I wanted to go. Then it wouldn’t be as big a deal.”

His dad, Mitchell, is a former NBA player. His mom, Marita Payne-Wiggins a track and field standout in the Olympics.

“All those reporters ask the same boring questions,” Wiggins said. “I already know how to answer anything they say because it’s all the same worded differently. It’s boring, so I have to make it fun.”

Last week he said Kentucky would “win it all” if he went there.

“I knew they would take that and run with it,” Wiggins said of the media. “But I do think that though. I mean come on now; me, Julius (Randle), the twins (Andrew and Aaron Harrison), James (Young), Marcus (Lee), Dakari; who’s stopping that?”

Wiggins — he averaged 23.4 points, 11.2 rebounds a game this past season — told the paper he has “great” reasons to like his four finalists. He has not yet set a date to announce his decision.

“But I just want to end by saying that I love all the schools,” Wiggins said. “They’re all the same. At the end of the day, I just wanna play ball, man. I just wanna win at all costs. I wanna win a lot next year.”

Vitale to honor Self: The V Foundation for Cancer Research will honor KU coach Bill Self, former Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden and former UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun at the 2013 Dick Vitale Gala on May 17 in Sarasota, Florida. The Gala has raised more than $8.6 million for pediatric cancer research through The V Foundation. Tickets and sponsorship opportunities for the gala are available at www.jimmvy.org/vitale or by contacting Danielle Smith at dsmith@jimmyv.org.

Nice contract: USA Today reported Wednesday that KU’s Self has the largest total compensation package of any public-school basketball coach: a 10-year deal to pay him just under $50 million, not including incentives. The only public-school coach in any sport with a richer deal is Texas football coach Mack Brown, now in the second year of a nine-year contract that could pay $51.3 million excluding incentives, the paper indicated. In June 2011, Kentucky increased Calipari’s annual pay to $4.8 million, the paper said. While KU was negotiating with Self, Kentucky moved John Calipari to $5.2 million a year.

Comments

shinguard 2 years, 5 months ago

I feel like eating a bowl of invisible cereal right now

ManCrushOnCaptainKirk 2 years, 5 months ago

Definitely the only thing I'll remember about Rio is his invisible bowl of cereal. That was the most hilarious thing I've EVER seen on a Jayhawk bench. Even thinking about it now, I can't stop smiling. Hope you get some serious PT, Rio, at your next stop and hope you enjoyed one of the premier venues in all of sports for this year. All the best!

bayareajhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

It is something NFL players have been doing for a while. It signifies someone who is "eating," or having a good game. Apparently it comes from a rap song. An even higher level of performance is "cookin," which is counterintuitive to me because don't most people cook before they eat?

I guess that's just one reason why I don't rap.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

Somewhere I read that it means you just got served.

I've seen other people do it but nobody does it as well as Rio. He's got that Popeye thing going on when he does it.

Brak 2 years, 4 months ago

When Rio did it he was mocking Chris Babb of Iowa St. who would do it after he drained a big shot. If you haven't seen the 30+ page photoshop thread over at Phog.net titled, Rio Adams likes soup, then you should because it's the funniest thing ever.

dylans 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought it meant that he was eating it up. Good play by KU

DanR 2 years, 5 months ago

If you're going to do something stupid, go all in. I have to admit, it was pretty funny:

archercc 2 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully someone fills the void. Tharpe's robot dance was also great but he wont have much time to do it next year since he will likely be running point for most of the game.

April13 2 years, 5 months ago

I think Oregon. Up and coming program, solid coach.

pepper_bar 2 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely 0 chance Oregon takes this complainer... Oregon is already a good program, no need to take a risk like this.

Timothy Rake 2 years, 4 months ago

I think we'd love seeing him play her in Eugene. Altmann has been a big (pleasant) surprise to Duck fans. Having watched them play at the start of the season, I would have never predicted a tournament team, let alone a Sweet 16.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

That would be a good deal for both. With another year of maturity, Rio could be one of the PAC 12's better PGs.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

We presume he's selfish. Not saying he is for sure. But with that assumption, he wouldn't go to a place now where he won't be a big dog. Gonzaga might not be a place where he could be that, but maybe.

Early leaders 1) Washington 2) USC 3) California 4) Gonzaga 5) Washington St. 6) UCLA

NJHAWK 2 years, 5 months ago

How about with Roy Williams at North Carolina? JK

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't see him at Cal either, with Montgomery.

Kyle Rohde 2 years, 4 months ago

If he wants to get "closer to home" and goes to UCLA, Cal, USC or Arizona, the closer to home thing was a lie. Great, so you saved 30 minutes off the flight time home and got into the same time zone - still not close to home.

JHWK 2 years, 4 months ago

Ya, but that's what Rex Walters said when he left Northwestern to come to KU, too! Much better than saying, 'Northwestern sux and KU doesn't'.

BigDBigJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

What does "both academically and athletically" mean? Academically?

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

See Jaydogger above. Maybe he was a little too close to the edge on the entry level classes. Makes suggestions of Cal, ... a joke.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 4 months ago

Word is he has struggled in the class room.

Brett Forreal 2 years, 5 months ago

I think this kid was a type of cancer Self and Co. wanted to get rid of.

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

"A cancer" is vast overstatement, IMO. More like chronic indigestion.

AZHawk72 2 years, 5 months ago

With the drop of the word "academically," I'd bet on Eastern Washington or Washington-St. Gonzaga is a more rigorous private school.

Mel Clare 2 years, 5 months ago

Dont sleep on Mason..........ESPN has him as top 5 "sleeper" outside of top 100 rankings! Bulldog like Sheron was and about the same size!

ku_foaf 2 years, 4 months ago

That is the second comparison to Marcus Smart I've heard. I hope so, because I was extremely impressed with Smart this season.

DRJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Why do you guys go negative everytime someone transfers? Maybe the kids mises home maybe he expected more playing time, maybe he doesn't like the weather or maybe he'd rather play in a different system. According to twitter he's looking at Washington, Oregon, UCLA and Arizona.

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

For his own good, he'd be better off looking at programs who are more likely to look back. Very few Div I departments have much presence on twitter – lots of teenagers do.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

Everybody has a presence on twitter. I would be surprised to find out there are any KU BB players without a twitter account.

The smart ones know when and when not to use it.

63Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Not being negative, just realistic. Anrio seemed to be progressing, but the reason he didn't play was that too often he lost possession of the ball when he did play. My comment about Div II or Juco was prompted by Self's "academically reviewed" comment.. It sounds like there may be some academic issue there.

ku_foaf 2 years, 4 months ago

I too though Self was hinting there were academic issues pending.

There can be lots of reasons for transfer. Most kids that come to KU are used to being big stars in HS and it can be a shock to just be a middle of the pack team member. It can be a personality issue with the coach, simply feeling they don't fit in, or fear that they will never really play due to the presence of other players. Remember John Crider? A great guy who simply wanted to play, even if at a different level.

Or you dad could think you are Larry Bird and criticize the coach.

rtwngr 2 years, 5 months ago

Coach Self and his staff have a formula for winning. If you don't want to be a part of that formula then so be it. I find it amazing that players like Anrio Adams cannot look around and see the opportunity before them. Look at the players that preceded him. Russell Robinson, he was supposed to be a starter from day one and he didn't. Now he earns a nice living playing in Europe and comes home from time to time. Tyshawn Taylor, how many times did he kick the ball out of bounds bringing it upcourt during a game. More than once I would guess. Travis Releford, this guy had nothing but desire. Now look, he might have a chance at a living in basketball for a while and if not, he got a great education. Sorry, Anrio, you should have put your head down and gone to work.

oldalum 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe he wasn't making the grades and would have been ineligible anyway. He seemed awfully immature, but look how long it took Tyshawn to grow up. I hope he chooses well for his new school and has some success.

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

To me, Tyshawn as a freshman looked a lot better than Anrio as a freshman.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 5 months ago

some very pleasant statements, but they leave me wondering how Self and Rio both really feel.

Good luck Rio, I hope that you end up at a school where you will be pressured and pushed by a demanding coach who genuinely cares about his players and you will grow into a highly disciplined and responsible young man who respects others and denies self and earns every good thing the right way.

Jason Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

If Adams wasn't going to class we would have seen Self suspending him during the season. More likely, he was going to class but wasn't maintaining an acceptable GPA, or it may be that his GPA was acceptable but Adams simply wanted something less rigorous.

Who knows. a lot of different things it could be. We shouldn't read too much into the statement, but thank the kid for playing for us for a year and wish him the best of luck. From all outward appearances, he was a good teammate.

And @rtwngr, Releford will definitely make some good money playing basketball. Even if an NBA team doesn't pick him up, he can make 6-7 figures in Europe.

Kyle Seiwert 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, that "rigourous" Kansas education that the Morris Twins and Thomas Robinson made it through three years of, not to mention Sherron Collins. Get real. This is a basketball decision.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 5 months ago

I think this is the very definition of an "amicable" decision by all parties involved.

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

+1. It is significant that most departures from the pHog go that way, wouldn't you say?

Bob Forer 2 years, 5 months ago

A bunch of pseudo communists posting. This is America. Freedom of Choice. KU is not for everyone, and not everyone is for KU. The kid had a right to choose KU, and he had a right to choose to leave. Leave him alone. From his perspective, it was the right thing to do. Those who tell him that he is making a poor decision are exceedingly presumptuous

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 4 months ago

pseudo communist? I don't think you know what words mean.

Jackster 2 years, 5 months ago

Just kidding but I couldn't pass up on that one. I wish him all of the best!

Michael Sillman 2 years, 5 months ago

Some posters seem to be driven to making definitive statements based on virtually no information or personal insight. The only one who really knows why he is leaving is Adams. Let's take him at his word and wish him good luck. He definitely has talent.

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

Neither you or the journalists are entitled to any more tidbits than we already have from the statements of both the erstwhile player and his former coach. Sorry it wasn't up to your appetite for titilation.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

Yea, Ralster, you and your appetite for titillation.

I must admit, I have a great appetite for titillation too .. particularly firm, well rounded titillations.

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

I liked it, but then I'm of similar bent...

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

"plays experienced players generally over less-experienced ones."

We also know that Coach Self above all values each possession, and many young players don't realize just how passionate he is about each and every possession. A PG with a 1:2 A:TO ratio just absolutely does not deserve more PT. That Rio would have even suggested otherwise indicates that he just does not get it. Great talent/potential, but not execution.

Coach plays a rookie in a heart beat if he's performing (High A, Low TO). Rio's #'s/performance are the opposite of what is needed to get on the court.

pepper_bar 2 years, 5 months ago

"We’ve enjoyed him being here. He was a good teammate, and I know frustration can set in when you don’t play a lot, but he kept a good attitude..."

Laying it on a little thick here, aren't we? Has Bill not heard of Twitter?

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

Sometimes it's prudent to be selective in acknowledging sources. People might group with others who overindulge in social media and bare @$$es in general.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

The genie (and not the DirecTV one) is out and will not be returning to her bottle. Social media is growing by leaps and bounds. I just don't want to hear those who play complain about not having any privacy later in life.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 4 months ago

Bill takes the high road and that's good. We all know what an immature freshman he was by speaking publicly. I'm sure he has good game and hope he learns and grows up a bit. Lets face it, we've got loads of talent coming in so Rio may not have gotten the playing time he wanted. I don't wish Ill of him except to get better as a person and earn his PT. Good luck and hope it works out for him.

theoljhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Rio! All I ever saw you do when you played was fire up empty shots or turn the ball over!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 5 months ago

This just goes to show you why Twitter is evil if used inappropriately! If it weren't for his complaining about playing time on Twitter, would anybody really have a reason to dog on this dude? Good luck, Rio, hope you find what you're looking for...but stay off Twitter!!!

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Play with matches . . . burn your fingers . . .

tbbucboy21 2 years, 5 months ago

sucks, this kid was going to be an absolute stud. going to be a GREAT defender and solid offensive pg...similiar to t taylor

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

Potential yes, but the 1:2 A:TO has to improve drastically just to become minimal PG material.

Greg Lux 2 years, 5 months ago

Rio has a lot of raw talent. It scares me we could run into him a few years down the road and regret we didn't find a way to use him at KU. I just have a feeling he is going to be something special around his junior and senior year. Best wishes Rio wherever you land I hope its a great fit for you.

Rock Chalk

Robbk1066 2 years, 5 months ago

We wont miss Rio, wont be scared of him if we see him again. Dont care why he is leaving. We need two or three more, a guard, a wing or two. Should be interesting year with this much talent around. We wont get Wiggins. Would love to see a junior transfer though could help settle the young guys with a decent junior transfer coming in.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 5 months ago

speak for yourself, i miss him already, on the sidelines of course. I think he coulda been great here, but wish him the best.......

Robbk1066 2 years, 5 months ago

Trust me his name will never come up again. Miss him already LOL How can you miss something that was not there?

Brak 2 years, 4 months ago

"We"? Speak for yourself troll, most actual KU fans will miss him and the energy and excitement he brought to the bench and most of us were anticipating him playing some decent minutes next year. We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors. Stay Classy Mr. Kraft.

Alex Resnik 2 years, 4 months ago

IMO... someone who is that excited on the bench for other people isn't selfish.. now maybe he was doing it for the cameras?? I can kind of see that. But usually when players are selfish they aren't that excited to see other people succeed. I liked the kid, thought he could be a very good 4 year player. I wish him the best of luck.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't want to be included into your "we" group either...

Seems the entire story circulates around some fairly innocuous twitter comments and maybe a few references to academics. Only Rio has all the facts and he has said nothing but positive remarks about his time here.

Good luck in the future Rio!

Alex Wishart 2 years, 5 months ago

Rio's "invisible bowl of cereal" is a reference making fun of Chris Babb of Iowa State. In one of the Iowa State v KU games Babb hit a three and made the spoon-to-mouth motion. Incidentally he did not cup his hand to form a bowl. Nevertheless KU pulled away in the game and after a pivotal, momentum changing play Rio was shown making fun of Babb. Thus the best KU GIF was born.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't know about the best GIF, I'm partial to the Bill Self "Hammer Time" GIF from the OSU game.

KemDooKU 2 years, 5 months ago

The guy had some skill and was quick so it always hurts to lose a player like that but playing tons of minutes in every high school game and then playing at the most a few minutes a game in college has to be tough on the young players. I remember I started every game at short in T-ball then graduated to machine pitch and didn't sniff the infield all season - I saw the writing on the wall and I transferred out - so I feel your pain Anrio....... I feel your pain- peace out!!!!!

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Very appropriate analogy – T-ball (AAU) vs pitching (Div i). Am I serious or sarcastic? Your choice.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

Not shocked by this one. I'm curious if the academic reference is in regards to his ACT score or if his GPA at KU isn't very good and he might JuCo bound. He had a skill set to be a solid contributor for KU in the future, but now he adds to the statistic that lower ranked kids Bill Self has brought in still have a greater chance of transferring than reaching their senior night at KU.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

"The ABC's of Anrio Adams' Transfer"

A. I don't know diddledy squat more than anyone else here. I'm just taking a wild cut at this.

B. Rio was looking at being a backup at the 1, or maybe some 2. He probably didn't want to back up Naa, what with Naa having a couple of years to go. Self probably said he could play some2 also, but because of Selden coming in Self could not guaranty that Rio would be the starting 2. And it seems likely that Self is determined to sign some more players, even if Wiggins heads to UK. Rio sized up the situation, and said I might as well go home, sit out and grind on the books at a transfer school close to home.

C. Lorenzo Romar will find a place for Anrio at UWash. Anrio was probably just making sure Lorenzo was staying. It iced that Romar was staying yesterday, after a flurry of rumors he might move to Minnesota of the NBA, or south to UCLA. Lamar's 52 and got a ten year contract. He reputedly declined interest in the Timberwolves, UCLA jumped on Alford, and the Husky's AD loves Romar, so Lorenzo will be around. In turn, Anrio can square his grades up with a sit out year at UWash. He will then be just what the Husky's need. Here's a link to an interesting Seattle Times story on Anrio. Rio's high school coach thinks Rio expected to step in and play at KU and didn't understand that at a place like KU, where even BenMac sat out a season, it takes awhile. The high school coach thinks Rio has probably learned his lesson.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

In the blog it says that Rio went to Franklin High 3 and a half years and transferred mid year as a Junior. Perhaps the blogger meant that he attended Franklin 2 and a half years, or did Rio go to High School for 5 years?

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 4 months ago

If Self plans on signing any guards for next year, he must be looking at JUCO players simply because there isn't much unsigned talent left in this year's recruiting class.

And the only reason Ben McLemore was sitting out his first year was because of the NCAA ruling, not any decision by HCBS. In some ways, I think Ben benefited by sitting out a year building his strength and gaining maturity.

Good article, thank you.

stuckyson 2 years, 5 months ago

I work at an NAIA school where we update the league on academic progress on a weekly basis when an athlete is in season. I heard of a number of mid semester academic suspensions in D1 this season so I am guessing the NCAA receives weekly updates also. Purely speculation, but part of the issue with Coach and 'Rio was the fact that Coach Self insists that his players meet basic academic standards. Someone can fact check this but since Bill Self has been at Kansas, Kansas has had an APR, the standard for NCAA checking academic progress, in the same category as Harvard and Stanford, plus every fourth or fifth year senior has earned a degree. Confronted with Coach Self's expectation of meeting the highest standards in the classroom, all out effort on the practice court and training rooms, patience in earning playing time with a bit of humility and class while representing Kansas it is no surprise that 'Rio bolted.

Freshman year in college is a crucible for everyone. Under the spotlight of being a scholarship basketball player for Kansas the pressure is magnitudes more intense. My respect to 'Rio for trying, for having fun with his team for most of the year, for showing glimpses of his potential. Hope that the fires of big time basketball didn't burn the desire out of him, and that hard work and discipline may still temper him into a great ball player.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 5 months ago

Makes you wonder if he ever did a lick of research beforehand, or if he read anything at all about Kansas BB till he arrived. He plainly had issues with the entrance requirements & class attendance so he really had little future playing with the depth charts as they appear unless he made major improvements in more than one area. If you're not the golden child, freshman minutes are few & far between. Makes no diff-yesterdays news that we all thought was inevitable months ago. Some clown even called a couple of us out as "character assassins" for mentioning his maturity shortcomings a couple weeks back. But for the record, the last thing you should do to increase your value going forward anywhere, is to whine & complain either publically or with social media. Niether is a valid course of action if your head is on squarely. Not saying he can't mature, we're all young once, but clearly these are the things that win no favors with some coaches. Maybe the younger one's relate to the "Oprah/Dr Phil approach" in venting one's issues better than the old school guys.That's a pair always have time to listen. However, some people actually seem to have less patience, but really have to be productive at a superior level to make a living. Or just maybe Bill's "Give a damn's busted." Ya think? (courtesy of Joe Diffie) Just kidding!

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

"Life Sucks, Then You Coach for UCLA"

Steve Alford grew up in Franklin, Indiana. Life probably sucked growing up there. Franklin is never ranked in the Top 100 most liveable cities, even among those that suck.

Next, Steve Alford chose to play for Bob Knight. By definition then, his life sucked for four years in Bloomington, despite finally winning an NCAA ring. Winning for Belligerent Bob sucked.

Next, Steve became the head coach of tiny Manchester College, in North Manchester, Indiana. The sucking therefore did not stop for Steve Alford, even though he won 72% of his games at North Manchester.

Next, Steve went to Southwest Missouri State (now known as Missouri State) in Springfield, MO. Charlie Spoonhauer had built it up. Mark Bernsen had built it down. Steve build it back up wining 62%, but it had to suck only winning 62% in Springfield.

Next, Steve Alford pissed his former Indiana coach Bob Knight off, when Alford took the head coaching job at Iowa. Knight was a jerk that didn't like assistants taking jobs in the Big Ten, while Knight was still coaching and intimidating at Indiana. Life sucked for Steven at Iowa City, because it was no fun having Bob Knight seething at him all the time. Life also sucked at Iowa City, because Alford was mediocre winning only 59% of his games overall, and worse only 47% of his Big Ten games. He knew when it was time to move on. It sucked but he did it.

Next, Steve moved to New Mexico University in Albuquerque. Albuquerque sucks most definitely. It was fun coaching in the snake pit, and Steve won 75% of his games, but to do it he had to coach a guy like J.R. Gidden and that had to suck. And did I mention Albuquerque?

At this point, one would have thought that Steve had earned some non-sucking years. And to Steve Alford it seemed he had. He had gotten the UCLA job. What could suck about the UCLA job? Try these few lines from the LA Times T.J. Simers the day Alford first met with the press after taking the UCLA job.

After mentioning not knowing much about USC's new coach Andy Enfield, Simers cracks:

"But he [Enfield] has to be more interesting and exciting than the dolt introduced as UCLA basketball coach Tuesday.

"It's pretty well understood that whoever coaches UCLA basketball is a dead man walking, it being only a matter of time before the alumni agree he'll never be another John Wooden.

"But this might be the first time UCLA actually hired a dead man."

--T.J. Simers on new UCLA Head Basketball Coach Steve Alford http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-0403-simers-ucla-alford-20130403,1,5946278.column?page=1

Life sucks and then you coach at UCLA.

Seth Nesmith 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you jaybate for making me spew my 1:45 am glass of scotch all over myself from laughing so hard. Damn you.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

jhawklin,

Glad it worked for you. :-)

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

I know it gets high ratings, dagger, but over the last 30 years I've had two opportunities to live there and both times I went there with an open mind, a lover of the west, especially the Sangre de Cristos. I like Santa Fe and Taos. I love the central highlands of New Mexico. But Albuquerque leaves me cold. It seems like the worst of the sun belt, but maybe I just haven't been there with the right persons and done the right things at the right time.

David Hall 2 years, 5 months ago

HERE ARE THE SCHOOL HE LOOKING AT AZ WASHINGTON OREGON OR UCLA

Kevin Jenkins 2 years, 5 months ago

Okay this kid transfers and everyone talks about how good he is. If he was good, why didn't he start like Mac? Come on a bigger distraction than player. Great that we get a new player who will pay KU ball

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

BMac was redshirted (not by HCBS, but by NCAA/Big12 partial qualifier status). RAdams should have been so fortunate.

KULA 2 years, 5 months ago

"we believe"

So Bill helped in the decision. No surprise there. Probably wanted Rio to redshirt, with no guarantee of much playing time the next year, depending on who stays in '14 and who else comes in. Rio was probably too spirited for Bill. Its too bad--I thought he coulda been a very good player for us.

Best of luck Rio. Hope to get a chance to see you play in the future.

Anybody got a link to Rio dancing on the sidelines?

Hoosierhawkfan 2 years, 5 months ago

BIG EGO + BIG MOUTH = small school b-ball. I won't miss holding my breath and that sinking feeling I got every time Rio crossed the center line with the ball. I wish him good luck in the future. ROCK CHALK!!

joeloveshawks 2 years, 4 months ago

Well I don't know what to say about Rio leaving but I do know about Selden coming in. I was at the McD's All American game last night and this kid is enormous in person. Really muscular and has an explosive step and a nice touch. He was hitting 3's from deep in warmup and his head was at the rim on a few dunk attempts. Can't wait to see this guy play for KU. Honestly the only 2 guys who looked more impressive last night were Wiggins and Gordon. I know it is just a silly exhibition game but Selden will contribute day 1.

akgjenkintown 2 years, 4 months ago

The one thing that stood out about Selden is the comment relayed by the announcers last night indicating he wants to go to KU "to become a lockdown defender like Relford." The game last night was a joke to watch. None of these freakish athletic kids know how to play a lick of defense. They can all run, shoot, and jump out of the gym. Unfortunately this is the product of the times. Their national rankings are based primarily on athleticism and offense categories and not defensive stops. None of these players know how to play the type of team defense that Self require and that is one reason Freshman tend to struggle to get a ton of minutes. Ellis lost a lot of minutes early this year because of his constant mistakes on defense. Yes he struggled offensively, but Self frequently pulled both Ellis and Traylor because the other team would go on a run when Withey and Young needed a breather. If Selden's comment is accurate, then this guy will be a welcomed addition, because next year's team will struggle defensively. Losing Withey and Relford and the other experienced defenders will show early. This is the problem with high school stars, it's all about how many points can they score. Selden looks to be a great addition.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 4 months ago

And it's not like he can't score points either. His 13 points in the game tops all UK recruits and Jabari Parker and was only surpassed by Wiggins and Gordon.

hotrodm 2 years, 4 months ago

Who Cares? Evan Maning is better than Rio.

akgjenkintown 2 years, 4 months ago

Rio was one of the better defenders. If he was a bit more mature and could earn Self's trust, then he would have become a significant contributor. However, many kids are use to instant gratification and at KU you have to earn your strips. That is why we should appreciate the effort of those 4th and 5th year seniors who have contributed tirelessly over the years, including the unsung group whose roles are to push the starters in practice. Being a "star" at your high school and then become just one of group talented players on a team is hard for some. Good luck Rio. No matter what school you attend, the competition will be significant.

sprayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Every year it seems like we 'loose' one of our first year players - and I love it. I truly believe this is by design. Coach Self is like a master angler. Each year, he catches as best a bucket of 'fish' that he can. Some are obvious trophies. Some look good initially, others need time for evaluation. During the year, it becomes very clear which of them are keepers - they either got 'it' and can play some now or he sees 'it' and can develop it - and which ones need to be culled out. If we weren't loosing a player like this each year, then I'd be concerned.

bradynsdad 2 years, 4 months ago

If Wiggins is so tired of his recruiting than I would suggest dragging it out even longer. Honestly if he picked UK they would be awesome but even Cal would not be able to keep that many egos in check. That game last night was evident of that. There would be six or seven straight trips down the floor without a single pass being made. Plus with Cal having all that talent and not winning it all would be outstanding. Would that stop these kids from committing to him? No. Honestly folks nobody is this great of a recruiter. Kids do have colleges they like and want to go to but somehow Cal has completely changed that culture? Remember he has had the number 1 recruiting class year after year after year with only one national title, and that wasn't with freshman.

smithy 2 years, 4 months ago

Though I am disappointed that Rio is taking his talents elsewhere, I find it to be another example of a young man demonstrating the need for immediate gratification of his needs and wants. It is simply too bad that youngsters like this are unwilling to go through the growth process and EARN their playing time. He will likely find another school that will enable him to play immediately, regardless of his need to grow as a player and person. He is the one who loses in this situation and we will be quite fine without him. However, we who are devoted KU fans have always enjoyed watching players develop and become vital contributors to the program. The list is lengthy of those who believed they were deserving of immediate playing time and unwilling or unable to see beyond the here and now to the future and the player he could have been. Who really thought Jeff would have developed into an All-American? And, those of us who have long followed KU BB have seen it again and again. We have also seen those who have left and though some have developed into pretty good players, even more have kind of been lost in oblivion. Wish him well, especially in growing into a man and not the youngster he is acting like now.

Cody Riedy 2 years, 4 months ago

Self's pitch to Wiggin's should be: "Do you want to go to Kentucky and basically play for the McDonald's All-American team or do you want to come to Kansas and beat the McDonald's All American team?"

RockChalk26 2 years, 4 months ago

I honestly do not understand the appeal of playing on a team that already has 6 Burger Boys. I was watching the game (on mute I might add) and I noticed they showed the same 3 Kentucky players, Randle, Harrison and Harrison. Dakari Johnson, who had 12 points last night, barley got any camera time. James Young was M.I.A. and so was Marcus Lee. I don't see this ending well.

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Why coach when you have basically a bunch of egomanic entitled bratty nba players? Heck, I could coach uk with that kind of talent. You don't coach in the nba. You're pretty much a figure head babysitting a bunch of millionaires. Cal's dribble drive system is perfect for the burger boys. You dribble, drive and shoot. There's your OOOs for Cal's system. He then yells a lot and pretends to plan on the sideline. He then gets on national tv and pretends to sound like a coach by trashing his team's efforts. He may take some heat by giving a sad explanation as a coach for their play, but make no mistake, John Calipari is no ncaa coach. He's all nba. Why he doesn't go to the nba is beyond me. You watch if they fail with this group, he'll spin it.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] SIX Mac Americans to Kentucky, ONE Mac American to the Entire Big 12??!! This smells fishier than Pikes Place Market in Seattle!!

2] Not unlike Paul Pierce years ago, Wayne Selden was the only guy passing the ball, playing defense and actually showing court presence in the Micky D game last night.

3] BLAME IT ON RIO. Great movie for us middle-aged guys as Michael Caine gets the hot teenage blonde who is pretty much naked the whole movie and you get a topless shot of Demi Moore prior to breast enhancements. [Actually has nothing to do with Mr.Adams but, like ROADHOUSE, it's a classic!!]

4] I am almost wishing Wiggins goes to UK.."who can stop us?" Maybe you should ask Louisville, Syracuse or Michigan that question. They're all going to be loaded and experienced.

5] If TV ratings drop because UK is dominant look to the NCAA to suddenly put the hammer on Coach Cal.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

1) And Pike's is maximum fishy!!!

2) Sooooooo glad to hear that. If Selden can play defense out of the can, then we are a 26-27 win team.

3) OMG! Someone else remembers that flick. It made me aspire to be a dirty old man back in the prime of my life. She was so, how shall I put it, NUBILE!!!!

4) And Syrexcuse will be being investigated for the third straight April!!!

5) I feel the ShoeCo-Summer Game-Agency Complex all over this deck stacking of Cal...AGAIN. Hypothesis: they tried splitting the stacking between The Squid at UK and Stumpy at Aridzona to make it not look sooooo crookedismo. But Stumpy let them down massively, further than a fall off the Mogollan Rim. So: Stumpy is out, until he can prove he can do something with what he already has. Et sequitur: all the talent gets valved to Cal again. Just a hypothesis of course.

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

It wouldn't surprise me if Cal and his sleezy marketing network is throwing money in the back door of the ncaa. I don't think the ncaa will investigate their sugar daddy program like uk. The posts on this site is a perfect justification as to why the ncaa won't "drop the hammer" on uk.

Keith Gellar 2 years, 4 months ago

hey...atleast he's not THROWING his players under the bus ala Bill Self. I'd rather see players have some money thrown at them. just saying.

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

Says a lot about you...

I seem to remember Cali doing the exact same thing after the 1st round NIT loss. Something about his players being "uncoachable"...

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

"I just wanna win at all costs. I wanna win a lot next year.”--Wiggins

Doesn't that say it all??

My guess is that his decision is divided between FSU and UK, and he is only considering FSU to appease his folks. He knows he wants to be in Kentucky and I think that is where he will end up.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Re: Wigs and FSU--Amazing that a guy would choose Leonard Hamilton over Bill Self. The last guy to do so, Michael Snaer, appeared to be being steered there by Self. Can't imagine Self would make Wigs another thank you present, unless he wants to encourage FSU to join the Big 12 shortly.

Wigs seems UK bound to me.

Note: If Wigs were to read this, what I would want him to think about would be two things:

1) lie down with dogs in Lexington and you might get fleas in Rupp Arena; and

2) avoid the state of Florida, they have just had a Dengue Fever outbreak.

Wigs could work out the rest from there. :-)

Next.

Robert Brock 2 years, 4 months ago

Meh. He's OAD - why should it matter where he goes? His imprint on college hoops will be hardly noticeable.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Brock, your pragmatism rarely errs.

I view these OADs kind of like going Musky fishing.

You rarely catch one.

They're meant for trophies, not for eating.

Some people like to fish for trophies occasionally just to spice it up.

Self benefits from being in the hunt with these OADs.

The lesser recruits almost certainly feel flattered to be recruited by a coach that is on the short list of a super star.

So: I play along.

But yes, I understand your POV.

From my POV, we got the two most important guys to get for KU: Selden and Embiid. Selden is for now. Embiid is for two seasons from now.

Selden gives us a lock down guy on the perimeter, which Self Defense simply has to have.

Embiid gives us potentially the most athletic big man in two season--a potentially epic talent.

Thinking about JamTray, Lucas and Embiid the season after next spikes my ecstasy meter.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 4 months ago

He's not leaning or "keeping it quiet"... he's UNDECIDED! There is no agenda.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

More Wigs:

~Wigs and family seem to have a new shark in the water to watch out for. Ex-Jack Hop Andy Enfield, USC's new coach promising to recruit the ENTIRE PLANET, could make a big splash signing Wigs to USC. (Pause for stunned outrage at jaybate for even hinting something like this) Something tells me USC boosters will operate more skillfully under Enfield than, say, they did under Tim Floyd. And judging from their football techniques, they don't believe in waiting to get on with things. I have a hypothesis that schools that cheat frequently get better and better at cheating. Its like basketball teams coached to foul all the time get better and better at fouling all the time. No school that I can recall off hand has been caught cheating so much in basketball and football the last decade, or so (football more so than basketball). Post hoc ergo propter hoc, USC must be becoming highly skilled at cheating. They have, so to speak, sunk costs in learning to cheat. What better time than now to reap what has been sewn? If you are USC boosters, what could be better than enabling a headline grabbing signing of Wigs? It would be perfect. Wigs doesn't even have USC on his list. Wigs could completely take over the sports headlines by throwing everyone a curve ball. It would be like Cal moving to Memphis and suddenly being able to land the draft choices that no one else could land at Memphis. It would also be a bit like O.J. Mayo showing up in South Central for some education!!!! History repeats? No, surely not. Wigs and his family seem too nice and too smart for this sort of stuff.

[Note: I realize this is wild speculation about Wigs and USC and that he and his folks and Enfield are probably straight shooters, but, hey, the late season recruiting auction game is for nothing, if not for triggering wild speculation, hype and brand recognition, right? So: I'm just trying to be a good fan and oblige the powers that be in recruiting. BUILD THE BRAND!!! BUILD THE BRAND!!! BUILD THE BRAND!!!] :-)

(Note: All fiction. No malice. Just kidding around here.)

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

JB, I don't believe this is a wild theory at all. Just last night I saw Wigs' brother at WSU tweeted his bro was going to shock the world with his choice of schools. He then sort of stepped back from the tweet by saying he didn't mean to imply he would go to WSU...

Enfield is a hot item right now. Perhaps one with high fahrenheit attracts another out there to La La land?

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 4 months ago

Honestly, I don't care this much about Rio as a player to have two full articles written about him. See ya later... let's focus on the team we have please

HawksWin 2 years, 4 months ago

Rio's departure is a setback for KU, and that he'd achieve real potential with the right coaching as in Self wasn't the right coach for this young immature, proud, arrogant, impatient and foolish kid? As per drgnslyer, Rio's potential is up to him as nobody including the right coach will hand it to him. Rio needs humility, obedience, and the attitude of serving others, not himself. That'd be the first step to realizing his potential.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 4 months ago

So where are you that provides the right coaching?

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't be too hard on Wiggins. Keep in mind when you hear those one-sided interviews, we can't hear the one interviewing Wiggins. He is obviously being led by hypotheticals. The uk media machine will stop at nothing to win a kid. The Calipari boosters washes the money and sends in various forms. The ncaa turns a bind eye so they can collect their consequential dollars for players.
Shawshank Redemption = uk, the warden is John Calipari. The second cousin to Roger Rabbit, the silent silent partner is violating the ncaa rules. Funny Calipari was straight in the nba and then had to coach at the ncaa level to be a crook. The guy is ruining college basketball. It's all going to crumble some day soon. The real sad thing is he does nothing for these kids and doesn't teach them anything about the game or life, see DeMarcus "headcase" Cousins...he's your paradigm of the uk system with caliapri as your coach. Many would debate about Wall and others. But these kids came in with good heads on their shoulders, Lamb and Jones? I haven't heard a thing. What about the Greek kid that was recruited, but never played? He sat on the sidelines taunting and dared the ncaa to impose something? They never did. Yeah, your ncaa officials will stop at nothing to keep the game clean. Why? They benefit from crooked programs. Unless you're like ISU and ask for two sanctions. Oh well, uk is perfect and they never violate any rules. No wonder these recruits go to uk.

HawksWin 2 years, 4 months ago

I hear you. Politics = money = power. Always wondered if Texas had put a stop to Self's second run for NC by withholding Ben & Traylor in 2010-11 because Texas so wanted its own to have a run at B12 champ & the tourney? Old story I know, but wonder just like when I read BW featuring Enron CEO on its cover - BW worshipped Enron & Skilling like ESPN with UK & Cal - blind & dumb. Couldn't pinpoint, but sure didn't sound right about how Enron made money. Truehawk, this recruiting at UK and Cal doesn't sound right either, and we will know when it blows over one day.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

He wasn't Greek. Turkish....Enes Kanter....actually emerging with the Jazz as this season goes on.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow Truehawk93, you know everything about the UK program, Calipari, cash for recruits, etc. You should write all these facts down on a piece of paper, drive over to Indianapolis, and personally meet with Mark Emmert to discuss all of these improprieties. It is your duty to do this so that college basketball will be saved!!! So you talk about losing recruits to Kentucky which is obviously happening. So what is your excuse that these high rated recruits said “NO” to Kansas and went to another school (other than Kentucky) in just the past year???

Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona) Chris Walker (Florida) Demetrius Jackson (Notre Dame) Chris Jones (Louisville) Andrew Gordon (Arizona) – Was at KU’s 2012 midnight madness Anthony Barber (NC State) Tony Parker (UCLA) Trevor Lacey (Alabama) Otto Porter (Georgetown) Tyler Roberson (Syracuse) Roddy Peters (Maryland)

Did I miss any? I’m sure I did considering these are the ones that come to mind. Bill Self wanted each and every one of these players - so why are all these top recruits going to a school other than the “BlueBlood” Kansas? Is it because of the city of Lawrence? Bill Self? Kansas facilities? Kansas fans? What is it?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Were any of you really impressed with the game??

All I saw was no D, no court awareness, no taking the charge, no ball movement[except for Wayne], no exertion, total entitlement, total "look at me', in other words the same game I saw last year.

Coach Cal may have a tiger by the tail with this bunch.

Andrew seems like a nice kid..I hope he isn't seduced by "The Dark Side", but I am afraid he will be. From a prep for the NBA standpoint, Kansas offers Hudy, Self, total PT, a fresh team to make his own and total exposure to the basketball world.

At least we aren't being given a bunch of false hopes unlike Tarc, Randle and so many others. Who knows...maybe this will be a surprise!!

Hawk8086 2 years, 4 months ago

Oak, I have never been impressed with the McD game for all of the reasons you mentioned. I was very impressed by Wayne.......court awareness and vision, handles, attitude toward defense,etc. Face it, we're not known as a good place for OAD. Selby, and to a lesser extent X haven't helped that reputation. I'm OK with that, in general, although it would be nice to get one of these guys from time to time.

HawksWin 2 years, 4 months ago

We need true point guards!!! Point guards, point guards, point guards!!!! Michigan was clever & outcoached us - hanging around making us think we're gonna get a W with a double digit lead throughout the game only MI was waiting to attack at the end, and knowing it won't be giving us any free bees with no fouling. We choked & that mental toughness went out the window. Sorry but I've been holding it in, and doc said I had to vent it out for the sake of my health!!

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

That's not happening with what's left of the '13 class.

I'be be downright pi$$ed if we don't get one of Tyus Jones (Unlikely), E. Mudiay (EVER MORE Unlikely....sounds UK bound to be sure), McLaughlin (possibility....eluded to as being Iverson-like {obvoiusly a good and bad mixed bag if that's true}) or Jo. Perkins (lowest-rated, but probably the one that I want the most AND the most realistic.....only competing against Colorado, San Diego State, New Mexico & I think maybe Gonzaga and/or Stanford in his recruiting)

Josh Perkins sounds like a smart kid that just in his "look" and "way" SCREAMS KU. From the scouting report with regards to his hustle, defense, leadership by play on the court sounds like a backcourt version of K. Young (only more athletic & talented).

Good character guy - but just watch the video clip.....look at the steals and the assists!!!!

screams to be the heir apparent to take over for Tharpe in another couple of years (he's a High School Sr. next year)

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Link to how Self was at one of his game's back in Jan. about the same time we're given in his list of his final 9 schools. Surprised he's still including Duke when they're the only one of the 9 not to extend an offer. Made light of the schools recruiting him....maybe I shouldn't do that when Arizona's included any more either (DID steal Tarc from us seemingly w/ no rumors at the last minute):

Don't get me wrong! E. Mudiay is FAR AND AWAY the best fit for us and EXACTLY what we need. But he's got that UK-lean to him I've been hearing.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 4 months ago

Mudiay is a heavy UK favorite per recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer.

KemDooKU 2 years, 4 months ago

Anrio and Wiggins who? This is now Wayne's World - he may be better than Ben was this year- sad but he OAD as well - only sad for fans but I am happy for them when they go off and make Millions-

TommieSmithElbow 2 years, 4 months ago

Matt, Gary, Jesse (!)

Maybe I missed a reference, but how is there not a story (or at least a mention!) that today is that most holy of days, the 25th anniversary of Danny and The Miracles? Now there was a team who came together and kicked butt (and settled scores against K-State, Duke, and OU in the process!)

P.S. Also my nephew Joel's birthday. My brother has a first born and gets a national championship in the same day. VERY cool! (Happy Birthday, Joel-man!)

TommieSmithElbow 2 years, 4 months ago

Should have called on Keegan too! Come on, guys! Did I miss something?

ku_foaf 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self mentioned academics goals as well. Was this a reference to him having academic eligibility issues? Just conjecture, but at one time, if that was the case, a juco was the main option. A player really couldn't transfer to another four year school. Come to think of it, I haven't heard of that situation mentioned in quite awhile.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Coaches' kids don't take up a scholarship. If they left all that you could replace them with is another walk-on.

KnightsWhoSayNi 2 years, 4 months ago

Talk about "time to go". Glue factory time!

KemDooKU 2 years, 4 months ago

Your name says it all BakedSun brain - I thought I heard it all.... One Word. DeRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

If Selden does end up being an OAD maybe this guy could inherit his "tough guy" 2 / 3 position:

I KNOW that they've had Self tagged as recruiting him.

pill41 2 years, 4 months ago

Somebody go tell Self or someone on his staff to call Tarik Black right now! He's looking into a play immediately senior transfer and we need a game-ready 5 pretty badly, plus we have 3 sholarships to give. Surely our staff could get a lot more out of him than Pastner could.

Steve Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

Rio Adams, best of wishes, hope you find what you are looking for. I can't speak for JHawk nation, yet will follow and support your career. Hope you do well.

Calimari train could have been slowed early on when John Wall or was it a Memphis player, Rose, had a tremendous increase in SAT scores from 1st to 2nd attempt. Ooops it was both times.

Recall when some said West Virginia was too far to travel, why not Louisville, coulda woulda shoulda.

Janet Olin 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope Anrio finds a place he likes where he can fit in. Tired of the photos and stories about pouting/tantrums. I would like him to succeed, but KU does not need crybabies or drama queens. Team first. Work hard, play focused. Next.

Michael Maris 2 years, 4 months ago

What about Tarik Black transferring out of Memphis to Kansas? 6'9'' 230 to 260lbs for a one year deal? He's due to graduate in May (according to the story on CBSSports.com website).

He has size and would bring game time experience to Kansas for a season. He's truly a back to the basket type player. Then, his scholarship would be available again for the next recruiting class of 2014. That would give Kansas 6 rotational guys for the front court. Should make for some interesting competition for the younger guys. See how well it worked out for Kevin Young? Not the same body type. But, his size and game time experience would be a definite plus.

kennethst 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh Gee.....My little 3 year old just asked when the Jayhawks are playing again! Yikes.......What to tell the little angel???? She knows they lost Friday......but I don't think she gets that the season is over.

I may have to distract her at the zoo....or playground......try to explain it while she's on the slide or see-saw.

HawksWin 2 years, 4 months ago

Cute. Will DVR / DVD replays do the job or do they catch on at 3?

kennethst 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought of that.....but guess I better come clean. She always asks what the mascot is of the next team.....not what school. ......so she can pretend her stuffed BabyJayhawk is fighting with it.....or likes to draw pictures......So I guess I better deliver the bitter medicine. She will be ok.....as will we all.

Margaret Schadler 2 years, 4 months ago

How come weeks after the USA Today column on McLemore, we read that his mom is still unemployed?Are there no alums in ST l?

KemDooKU 2 years, 4 months ago

Why work when Daddy's about to get Paid- don't come back Ben you have done enough ....now go get a pay check and buy your Mom a nice house and a Frig full of food

KemDooKU 2 years, 4 months ago

Does Wiggins know that Kentucky had four or five Ronald Donald players last year - I guess a few more for Couch Cal may get them past round one in the NIT... And yes I spelled it "couch"

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 4 months ago

Little known fact but Rio's pops is in prison and mommy isn't much in his life. His ggrandmother raised him. So, the "family" thing is pretty much Gma and cousins anand whatever. He never really connected with his teammates as his attitude was one more like a street kid. It's pretty obvious Self couldn't wait to have him leave with the comments he put forth. Seeing Rio's FB comments he really, really thinks he is all that. He has this posse who keeps telilng him he's gonna get to the NBA, blah blah blah. This kid has no frickin IDEA about real work and what it takes. So sad as he has been the team cheerleader and gets lots of laughs but that is probably to cover up his insecurities in life. The idea of I WANT IT NOW and won't wait is his theme.

jayshockcat 2 years, 4 months ago

That is great insight, at least you didn't let facts get in the way of your speculations. Give the kid a break, he is moving on and Kansas will be fine without him. Lets follow Bill's example and take the high road.

HawksWin 2 years, 4 months ago

Well said Miles. It's a tragic parents/guardians spoon feed today's kids with love without discipline. Love without discipline leads to self-destruction. Hard love builds character, and teaches them about living right. Hopefully mature Rio will land somewhere that will provide discipline and guidance he will need as a man - whether living a life of NBA or whatever he ends up doing.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

A name to add as a possible KU addition: Josh Davis from Tulane. 6'8" power forward. Led Tulane in scoring at 17+ ppg. Will be immediately eligible.

Yonatan Negash 2 years, 4 months ago

It's simple, the Bill Self experiment wasn't a good situation for Rio. All this bad talk and hate towards this kid need to stop. Who cares where his father is or how he's connected to his mother or who raised him. All of these negative speculations have nothing to do with the kid wanting to play ball now. As a former college player, I can relate. I also wanted to play the minute, I got to campus. Of course, I thought I was the best player on the team, who doesn't. In my playing days, I've never met a teammate that didn't want to play or take my spot for that matter. I get where Rio is coming from, he wants to play. What's wrong with that? I am willing to bet any of you, wherever Rio ends up, he'll get to play.

Rio wish things would have worked out for you at Kansas. Nonetheless, thanks for being a great teammate. Don't pay any mind to all the BS you read on this blog or anywhere else. Handle your business whereever you go. If you believe you can make it to the next level, that's all it takes, it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

Best of luck.

Jack Jones 2 years, 4 months ago

Good God, Jayhawks ~ At least try to show some class with regard to the Rio Adams transfer. Enough of the trash talk already ~ in fact, enough of the talk period. I would like to think that being a member of the Kansas University Jayhawk family would at least leave one with some respect for a young person who find themselves in a situation such as this. Guess I thought wrong~again.

Jack Jones 2 years, 4 months ago

And, pray tell ~ where in the h--- do you read "a problem in the coaching staff" in the referenced post? Me thinks your personal bias has effected your vision/comprehension ability.

eric poncharello 2 years, 4 months ago

"A family decision" If there were any solid male role models in his life, they would have told him to suck it up and become a man, because that what men do! Enough said.

pepper_bar 2 years, 4 months ago

If he's already been granted his release, I'm not sure that's his decision to make. This could be interesting.

JayDocMD 2 years, 4 months ago

Not sure if he's yanking our chain but he just announced on Twitter he's "a Jayhawk for life " and "not going anywhere."

Steve Brown 2 years, 4 months ago

slry I also need an enima.

Rio, Try Tulsa or SMU for change in scenery.