Originally published April 3, 2013 at 01:25p.m., updated April 3, 2013 at 11:50p.m.

Rio Adams: Transfer from KU a ‘family decision’

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Kansas guard Rio Adams.

Rio Adams has a message for Kansas University basketball fans as he prepares to continue his college career someplace other than KU.

“It was a great run. I appreciate the support,” Adams, a 6-foot-3 freshman from Seattle, told the Journal-World Wednesday night, several hours after it was announced he was granted a release by coach Bill Self to transfer to a yet-to-be-determined school.

“I feel like going home and playing closer is better for me and my family,” Adams added. “This was definitely a family decision and it was a decision I wanted to do that would be best for my situation.”

Adams — he scored 27 points while playing in 24 games with six assists against 11 turnovers — said he knows where he wants to transfer but is not prepared to reveal the school yet. According to the Seattle Times, Adams had mentioned UCLA, Oregon, Arizona and Washington on Twitter, but deleted the post.

“I’m wanting to go toward home,” he said. “It’s basically decided, but I have to talk to my family members.”

He said his decision to leave was “best for my family and best for the coaches (at KU) as well.”

“I’ve enjoyed every part of this year,” Adams stated. “I’ve definitely grown and matured from it. There were a lot of great moments and downfalls that made me better. I appreciated the team, the coaching staff and the fans a lot. This was an experience that I will probably never be able to see again. I’m happy I was able to play with this team and be part of something great.”

Explained coach Bill Self: “Anrio and I met about his future, both academically and athletically, and we believe it is in his best interest to look into potential opportunities that may exist closer to home. Anrio is a very talented kid. We’ve enjoyed him being here. He was a good teammate and I know frustration can set in when you don’t play a lot, but he kept a good attitude and we should all support him in whatever decision he makes. I know our staff is 100 percent in support of him doing what’s best for his life.”

Adams’ best game of the season was an 11-point outing against Texas Tech in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Tournament on March 14.

Asked what he’ll remember the most about KU, he told the J-W: “Just the urgency. You want to go hard every day because of what you are playing for. That was special to me.”

Selden scores 13: Future KU guard Wayne Selden scored 13 points off 5-of-7 shooting (2-of-4 threes) with five rebounds and three assists in the East’s 110-99 loss to the West in the McDonald’s All-America game, Wednesday in Chicago. Andrew Wiggins, who is considering Kansas, among others, had 19 points. Arizona commit Aaron Gordon was MVP with 24 points.

Wiggins speaks to USA Today: Andrew Wiggins, a 6-8, 210-pound forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who has a final list of KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State, tells USA Today he’s tiring of recruiting.

“I think everyone else is more worried about my recruitment than me. Isn’t that funny?” Wiggins told USA Today.

“I wish I could just play and that’s it,” Wiggins added. “I wish I knew where I wanted to go. Then it wouldn’t be as big a deal.”

His dad, Mitchell, is a former NBA player. His mom, Marita Payne-Wiggins a track and field standout in the Olympics.

“All those reporters ask the same boring questions,” Wiggins said. “I already know how to answer anything they say because it’s all the same worded differently. It’s boring, so I have to make it fun.”

Last week he said Kentucky would “win it all” if he went there.

“I knew they would take that and run with it,” Wiggins said of the media. “But I do think that though. I mean come on now; me, Julius (Randle), the twins (Andrew and Aaron Harrison), James (Young), Marcus (Lee), Dakari; who’s stopping that?”

Wiggins — he averaged 23.4 points, 11.2 rebounds a game this past season — told the paper he has “great” reasons to like his four finalists. He has not yet set a date to announce his decision.

“But I just want to end by saying that I love all the schools,” Wiggins said. “They’re all the same. At the end of the day, I just wanna play ball, man. I just wanna win at all costs. I wanna win a lot next year.”

Vitale to honor Self: The V Foundation for Cancer Research will honor KU coach Bill Self, former Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden and former UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun at the 2013 Dick Vitale Gala on May 17 in Sarasota, Florida. The Gala has raised more than $8.6 million for pediatric cancer research through The V Foundation. Tickets and sponsorship opportunities for the gala are available at www.jimmvy.org/vitale or by contacting Danielle Smith at dsmith@jimmyv.org.

Nice contract: USA Today reported Wednesday that KU’s Self has the largest total compensation package of any public-school basketball coach: a 10-year deal to pay him just under $50 million, not including incentives. The only public-school coach in any sport with a richer deal is Texas football coach Mack Brown, now in the second year of a nine-year contract that could pay $51.3 million excluding incentives, the paper indicated. In June 2011, Kentucky increased Calipari’s annual pay to $4.8 million, the paper said. While KU was negotiating with Self, Kentucky moved John Calipari to $5.2 million a year.

Comments

Steve Brown 1 year ago

slry I also need an enima.

Rio, Try Tulsa or SMU for change in scenery.

William Blake 1 year ago

I'm doubtful that means Rio is staying. Scholarships are one year contracts and even if he meant that statement it doesn't mean he'll get an offer for another year.

If he does mean it, and if CS is willing to give him another year, there will be definite rules imposed forcing him to limit his social media. We've been down this road before. I know how CS dislikes players expressing too much through social media.

Players getting attention through social media has become a gigantic problem throughout sports... from pros to junior high. The PR risks blow off the charts. And what about the focus of players being redirected from their sport to social media? In the broader perspective.. electronics in general are creating big time problems.

If anyone in here doesn't see the problems existing from social media, video games, texting, phoning, music, TV... try contacting any coach and ask them if there is a problem. I know the problems are huge in pro ball. You'd think pro adult athletes would take their jobs serious and would be responsible... guess again.

I have plenty of respect for good coaches today. Their job is tough... keeping players focused must be a real bear. And in the case of student-athletes... what about their school work?

I'm pretty sure most of us in here pay a price for being here. I know I get more done after March... and before November. And I limit most of my electronic consumption to Hawk ball. I still have a clamshell phone that takes about an hour to send a text. No one knows when I have a bowel movement or what I had for lunch.

Maybe I've become an enigma... or maybe I'm just old!

JayDocMD 1 year ago

Not sure if he's yanking our chain but he just announced on Twitter he's "a Jayhawk for life " and "not going anywhere."

dannyxo 1 year ago

He just tweeted that he is staying.

eric poncharello 1 year ago

"A family decision" If there were any solid male role models in his life, they would have told him to suck it up and become a man, because that what men do! Enough said.

sunbake 1 year ago

Woolridge and now Adams, sounds like there is a problem in the coaching staff that these highly potential recruits are leaving the program. Have to agree with jayhawkfaninmiinnesota as stated above that he also see problems in the KU coaching. Adams will do great things when he finds his team and coach. Yes, he wanted to play and not a darn thing wrong with that, as all kids want to do.Again as we have seen before over the pass years, that Self doesn't develop new players when they come in. Johnson was another example of that. It is a wonder that White hasn't left yet. This has been a down fall of the coaching staff here at KU. Selby and McLemore both were a failure for KU, again poor coaching.

Yonatan Negash 1 year ago

It's simple, the Bill Self experiment wasn't a good situation for Rio. All this bad talk and hate towards this kid need to stop. Who cares where his father is or how he's connected to his mother or who raised him. All of these negative speculations have nothing to do with the kid wanting to play ball now. As a former college player, I can relate. I also wanted to play the minute, I got to campus. Of course, I thought I was the best player on the team, who doesn't. In my playing days, I've never met a teammate that didn't want to play or take my spot for that matter. I get where Rio is coming from, he wants to play. What's wrong with that? I am willing to bet any of you, wherever Rio ends up, he'll get to play.

Rio wish things would have worked out for you at Kansas. Nonetheless, thanks for being a great teammate. Don't pay any mind to all the BS you read on this blog or anywhere else. Handle your business whereever you go. If you believe you can make it to the next level, that's all it takes, it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

Best of luck.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year ago

Wiggins now playing games with the recruiting process...calls it boring, etc...Is he serious??? Or stupid??? (Meaning he personally can end his own boredom by making an announcement)--> But I forgot it takes time to find 3-4 schools hats at a hat store in whatever local shopping mall, and then you gotta rehearse your own special hat trick, right?...Im guessing many schools can do without YOUR circus, Mr. Wiggins-->It's getting kind of "boring". Maybe you can pull a "Terrence Jones", and actually screw-up your own hat-announcement & punk some school? Call Ashton Kutcher for some practice tips on how to punk...lol!!!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year ago

Another article about it--who knows what the real reason is... Good luck to you Rio Adams. Movin' on...

Jack Wilson 1 year ago

A name to add as a possible KU addition: Josh Davis from Tulane. 6'8" power forward. Led Tulane in scoring at 17+ ppg. Will be immediately eligible.

mariofan11 1 year ago

See ya later drama queen!

KEITHMILES05 1 year ago

Little known fact but Rio's pops is in prison and mommy isn't much in his life. His ggrandmother raised him. So, the "family" thing is pretty much Gma and cousins anand whatever. He never really connected with his teammates as his attitude was one more like a street kid. It's pretty obvious Self couldn't wait to have him leave with the comments he put forth. Seeing Rio's FB comments he really, really thinks he is all that. He has this posse who keeps telilng him he's gonna get to the NBA, blah blah blah. This kid has no frickin IDEA about real work and what it takes. So sad as he has been the team cheerleader and gets lots of laughs but that is probably to cover up his insecurities in life. The idea of I WANT IT NOW and won't wait is his theme.

KemDooKU 1 year ago

Does Wiggins know that Kentucky had four or five Ronald Donald players last year - I guess a few more for Couch Cal may get them past round one in the NIT... And yes I spelled it "couch"

KemDooKU 1 year ago

Why work when Daddy's about to get Paid- don't come back Ben you have done enough ....now go get a pay check and buy your Mom a nice house and a Frig full of food

Margaret Schadler 1 year ago

How come weeks after the USA Today column on McLemore, we read that his mom is still unemployed?Are there no alums in ST l?

kennethst 1 year ago

Oh Gee.....My little 3 year old just asked when the Jayhawks are playing again! Yikes.......What to tell the little angel???? She knows they lost Friday......but I don't think she gets that the season is over.

I may have to distract her at the zoo....or playground......try to explain it while she's on the slide or see-saw.

Michael Maris 1 year ago

What about Tarik Black transferring out of Memphis to Kansas? 6'9'' 230 to 260lbs for a one year deal? He's due to graduate in May (according to the story on CBSSports.com website).

He has size and would bring game time experience to Kansas for a season. He's truly a back to the basket type player. Then, his scholarship would be available again for the next recruiting class of 2014. That would give Kansas 6 rotational guys for the front court. Should make for some interesting competition for the younger guys. See how well it worked out for Kevin Young? Not the same body type. But, his size and game time experience would be a definite plus.

Janet Olin 1 year ago

I hope Anrio finds a place he likes where he can fit in. Tired of the photos and stories about pouting/tantrums. I would like him to succeed, but KU does not need crybabies or drama queens. Team first. Work hard, play focused. Next.

Steve Brown 1 year ago

Rio Adams, best of wishes, hope you find what you are looking for. I can't speak for JHawk nation, yet will follow and support your career. Hope you do well.

Calimari train could have been slowed early on when John Wall or was it a Memphis player, Rose, had a tremendous increase in SAT scores from 1st to 2nd attempt. Ooops it was both times.

Recall when some said West Virginia was too far to travel, why not Louisville, coulda woulda shoulda.

pill41 1 year ago

Somebody go tell Self or someone on his staff to call Tarik Black right now! He's looking into a play immediately senior transfer and we need a game-ready 5 pretty badly, plus we have 3 sholarships to give. Surely our staff could get a lot more out of him than Pastner could.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

If Selden does end up being an OAD maybe this guy could inherit his "tough guy" 2 / 3 position:

I KNOW that they've had Self tagged as recruiting him.

sunbake 1 year ago

Kentucky and Duke really are loading up on top McDonald players. How many does KU have now, one? Both having the greatest coaches will go far with their teams next year and there after. Rio had great protential if he would have been given a chance, but sit on the bench like White and the other players. These players need development and not sitting on the bench. It's time that the coache's kids go and make room for someone that can play.

ku_foaf 1 year ago

Coach Self mentioned academics goals as well. Was this a reference to him having academic eligibility issues? Just conjecture, but at one time, if that was the case, a juco was the main option. A player really couldn't transfer to another four year school. Come to think of it, I haven't heard of that situation mentioned in quite awhile.

TommieSmithElbow 1 year ago

Matt, Gary, Jesse (!)

Maybe I missed a reference, but how is there not a story (or at least a mention!) that today is that most holy of days, the 25th anniversary of Danny and The Miracles? Now there was a team who came together and kicked butt (and settled scores against K-State, Duke, and OU in the process!)

P.S. Also my nephew Joel's birthday. My brother has a first born and gets a national championship in the same day. VERY cool! (Happy Birthday, Joel-man!)

PakaRocks 1 year ago

Best of luck to you Rio!

KemDooKU 1 year ago

Anrio and Wiggins who? This is now Wayne's World - he may be better than Ben was this year- sad but he OAD as well - only sad for fans but I am happy for them when they go off and make Millions-

HawksWin 1 year ago

We need true point guards!!! Point guards, point guards, point guards!!!! Michigan was clever & outcoached us - hanging around making us think we're gonna get a W with a double digit lead throughout the game only MI was waiting to attack at the end, and knowing it won't be giving us any free bees with no fouling. We choked & that mental toughness went out the window. Sorry but I've been holding it in, and doc said I had to vent it out for the sake of my health!!

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Were any of you really impressed with the game??

All I saw was no D, no court awareness, no taking the charge, no ball movement[except for Wayne], no exertion, total entitlement, total "look at me', in other words the same game I saw last year.

Coach Cal may have a tiger by the tail with this bunch.

Andrew seems like a nice kid..I hope he isn't seduced by "The Dark Side", but I am afraid he will be. From a prep for the NBA standpoint, Kansas offers Hudy, Self, total PT, a fresh team to make his own and total exposure to the basketball world.

At least we aren't being given a bunch of false hopes unlike Tarc, Randle and so many others. Who knows...maybe this will be a surprise!!

Joe Baker 1 year ago

Don't be too hard on Wiggins. Keep in mind when you hear those one-sided interviews, we can't hear the one interviewing Wiggins. He is obviously being led by hypotheticals. The uk media machine will stop at nothing to win a kid. The Calipari boosters washes the money and sends in various forms. The ncaa turns a bind eye so they can collect their consequential dollars for players.
Shawshank Redemption = uk, the warden is John Calipari. The second cousin to Roger Rabbit, the silent silent partner is violating the ncaa rules. Funny Calipari was straight in the nba and then had to coach at the ncaa level to be a crook. The guy is ruining college basketball. It's all going to crumble some day soon. The real sad thing is he does nothing for these kids and doesn't teach them anything about the game or life, see DeMarcus "headcase" Cousins...he's your paradigm of the uk system with caliapri as your coach. Many would debate about Wall and others. But these kids came in with good heads on their shoulders, Lamb and Jones? I haven't heard a thing. What about the Greek kid that was recruited, but never played? He sat on the sidelines taunting and dared the ncaa to impose something? They never did. Yeah, your ncaa officials will stop at nothing to keep the game clean. Why? They benefit from crooked programs. Unless you're like ISU and ask for two sanctions. Oh well, uk is perfect and they never violate any rules. No wonder these recruits go to uk.

sunbake 1 year ago

It looks like this is going to be a real setback for the team. We all saw that Rio has potential with the right coaching to become a great player and a great addition to the team. He must have seen that it wasn't going to happen here at KU.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year ago

Honestly, I don't care this much about Rio as a player to have two full articles written about him. See ya later... let's focus on the team we have please

jaybate 1 year ago

More Wigs:

~Wigs and family seem to have a new shark in the water to watch out for. Ex-Jack Hop Andy Enfield, USC's new coach promising to recruit the ENTIRE PLANET, could make a big splash signing Wigs to USC. (Pause for stunned outrage at jaybate for even hinting something like this) Something tells me USC boosters will operate more skillfully under Enfield than, say, they did under Tim Floyd. And judging from their football techniques, they don't believe in waiting to get on with things. I have a hypothesis that schools that cheat frequently get better and better at cheating. Its like basketball teams coached to foul all the time get better and better at fouling all the time. No school that I can recall off hand has been caught cheating so much in basketball and football the last decade, or so (football more so than basketball). Post hoc ergo propter hoc, USC must be becoming highly skilled at cheating. They have, so to speak, sunk costs in learning to cheat. What better time than now to reap what has been sewn? If you are USC boosters, what could be better than enabling a headline grabbing signing of Wigs? It would be perfect. Wigs doesn't even have USC on his list. Wigs could completely take over the sports headlines by throwing everyone a curve ball. It would be like Cal moving to Memphis and suddenly being able to land the draft choices that no one else could land at Memphis. It would also be a bit like O.J. Mayo showing up in South Central for some education!!!! History repeats? No, surely not. Wigs and his family seem too nice and too smart for this sort of stuff.

[Note: I realize this is wild speculation about Wigs and USC and that he and his folks and Enfield are probably straight shooters, but, hey, the late season recruiting auction game is for nothing, if not for triggering wild speculation, hype and brand recognition, right? So: I'm just trying to be a good fan and oblige the powers that be in recruiting. BUILD THE BRAND!!! BUILD THE BRAND!!! BUILD THE BRAND!!!] :-)

(Note: All fiction. No malice. Just kidding around here.)

William Blake 1 year ago

So many people here and at KU tried to slow Rio down in his mind. I thought it was starting to work... and it was more for Rio's sake than ours because we knew he could have been a superstar here eventually and we can just as well create a superstar out of someone else.

I'll extend that same desire for Rio now as he finds a new path. I hope he comes to realize it is less about his environment and more about himself. No one or no place can bring him to his potential... he'll have to do that from within.

Good luck, Rio! We'll be pulling for you!

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

"I just wanna win at all costs. I wanna win a lot next year.”--Wiggins

Doesn't that say it all??

My guess is that his decision is divided between FSU and UK, and he is only considering FSU to appease his folks. He knows he wants to be in Kentucky and I think that is where he will end up.

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] SIX Mac Americans to Kentucky, ONE Mac American to the Entire Big 12??!! This smells fishier than Pikes Place Market in Seattle!!

2] Not unlike Paul Pierce years ago, Wayne Selden was the only guy passing the ball, playing defense and actually showing court presence in the Micky D game last night.

3] BLAME IT ON RIO. Great movie for us middle-aged guys as Michael Caine gets the hot teenage blonde who is pretty much naked the whole movie and you get a topless shot of Demi Moore prior to breast enhancements. [Actually has nothing to do with Mr.Adams but, like ROADHOUSE, it's a classic!!]

4] I am almost wishing Wiggins goes to UK.."who can stop us?" Maybe you should ask Louisville, Syracuse or Michigan that question. They're all going to be loaded and experienced.

5] If TV ratings drop because UK is dominant look to the NCAA to suddenly put the hammer on Coach Cal.

RockChalk26 1 year ago

I honestly do not understand the appeal of playing on a team that already has 6 Burger Boys. I was watching the game (on mute I might add) and I noticed they showed the same 3 Kentucky players, Randle, Harrison and Harrison. Dakari Johnson, who had 12 points last night, barley got any camera time. James Young was M.I.A. and so was Marcus Lee. I don't see this ending well.

Adam Gerval 1 year ago

Couple things. Selden looked great last night. There were several things that stood out to me about that game last night. First, it was extremely boring watching a bunch of bloated egos run up and down the floor. Second, Chris Walker has an ugly shot, but that's not important. But Selden looked really, really good last night. He certainly put my fears to rest about talent on our squad next year...well not really, but I am excited to see him play. You know who else looked good? Aaron Gordon. As much as I hate to say this, I don't see how Arizona isn't a top 10 team over the next several years. Sean Miller could definitely screw it up, but we'll see.

Next, Rio's decision was a "family" one? If by family you mean being a whiny, entitled, and immature freshman that didn't feel like he was getting the respect he felt he deserved. I was reading something said by his high school coach that basically said Rio was expecting to come to KU and be so good that he would get on the floor immediately, but that that wasn't going to happen at KU. Says quite a bit. Rio has said that he's looking at UW, UCLA, Arizona, and Oregon, huh? He has since taken that tweet down. What's that tell you? It tells me that he might be looking at those schools, but that doesn't mean they're looking at him. He clearly has maturity and character issues, and chances are, as Self alluded, his academics probably aren't in order. I'm not saying those schools can't find ways around that, but as someone looking at graduate school for two of those schools, they're not easy to get into, and Rio's failed attempts at the ACT (multiple times) probably don't bode well. Not to mention his attitude, and tendency to bad mouth the team (on twitter!!!) doesn't help his case. He may be a really talented young man, but if he can't get out of his own way he'll be a cancer to whatever team he goes to.

Lastly, I don't care where Wiggins goes as long as it's not Kentucky. I thought Randle's decision was a confusing one, but if Wiggins goes to UK it will make me really wonder what's going on in Lexington. Kentucky is already an anomaly to me, and this would just make it worse. That being said, if Wiggins goes there, and UK doesn't win it all, I'd be absolutely shocked. I just don't see Wiggins coming to KU. No player that makes that big of a deal about his recruiting process, and waits until almost June to commit, isn't coming here. Unfortunately, I see him going to Kentucky.

WindmillGIANT 1 year ago

Self's pitch to Wiggin's should be: "Do you want to go to Kentucky and basically play for the McDonald's All-American team or do you want to come to Kansas and beat the McDonald's All American team?"

smithy 1 year ago

Though I am disappointed that Rio is taking his talents elsewhere, I find it to be another example of a young man demonstrating the need for immediate gratification of his needs and wants. It is simply too bad that youngsters like this are unwilling to go through the growth process and EARN their playing time. He will likely find another school that will enable him to play immediately, regardless of his need to grow as a player and person. He is the one who loses in this situation and we will be quite fine without him. However, we who are devoted KU fans have always enjoyed watching players develop and become vital contributors to the program. The list is lengthy of those who believed they were deserving of immediate playing time and unwilling or unable to see beyond the here and now to the future and the player he could have been. Who really thought Jeff would have developed into an All-American? And, those of us who have long followed KU BB have seen it again and again. We have also seen those who have left and though some have developed into pretty good players, even more have kind of been lost in oblivion. Wish him well, especially in growing into a man and not the youngster he is acting like now.

bradynsdad 1 year ago

If Wiggins is so tired of his recruiting than I would suggest dragging it out even longer. Honestly if he picked UK they would be awesome but even Cal would not be able to keep that many egos in check. That game last night was evident of that. There would be six or seven straight trips down the floor without a single pass being made. Plus with Cal having all that talent and not winning it all would be outstanding. Would that stop these kids from committing to him? No. Honestly folks nobody is this great of a recruiter. Kids do have colleges they like and want to go to but somehow Cal has completely changed that culture? Remember he has had the number 1 recruiting class year after year after year with only one national title, and that wasn't with freshman.

sprayhawk 1 year ago

Every year it seems like we 'loose' one of our first year players - and I love it. I truly believe this is by design. Coach Self is like a master angler. Each year, he catches as best a bucket of 'fish' that he can. Some are obvious trophies. Some look good initially, others need time for evaluation. During the year, it becomes very clear which of them are keepers - they either got 'it' and can play some now or he sees 'it' and can develop it - and which ones need to be culled out. If we weren't loosing a player like this each year, then I'd be concerned.

hotrodm 1 year ago

Who Cares? Evan Maning is better than Rio.

joeloveshawks 1 year ago

Well I don't know what to say about Rio leaving but I do know about Selden coming in. I was at the McD's All American game last night and this kid is enormous in person. Really muscular and has an explosive step and a nice touch. He was hitting 3's from deep in warmup and his head was at the rim on a few dunk attempts. Can't wait to see this guy play for KU. Honestly the only 2 guys who looked more impressive last night were Wiggins and Gordon. I know it is just a silly exhibition game but Selden will contribute day 1.

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year ago

BIG EGO + BIG MOUTH = small school b-ball. I won't miss holding my breath and that sinking feeling I got every time Rio crossed the center line with the ball. I wish him good luck in the future. ROCK CHALK!!

KULA 1 year ago

"we believe"

So Bill helped in the decision. No surprise there. Probably wanted Rio to redshirt, with no guarantee of much playing time the next year, depending on who stays in '14 and who else comes in. Rio was probably too spirited for Bill. Its too bad--I thought he coulda been a very good player for us.

Best of luck Rio. Hope to get a chance to see you play in the future.

Anybody got a link to Rio dancing on the sidelines?

Kevin Jenkins 1 year ago

Okay this kid transfers and everyone talks about how good he is. If he was good, why didn't he start like Mac? Come on a bigger distraction than player. Great that we get a new player who will pay KU ball

David Hall 1 year ago

HERE ARE THE SCHOOL HE LOOKING AT AZ WASHINGTON OREGON OR UCLA

jaybate 1 year ago

"Life Sucks, Then You Coach for UCLA"

Steve Alford grew up in Franklin, Indiana. Life probably sucked growing up there. Franklin is never ranked in the Top 100 most liveable cities, even among those that suck.

Next, Steve Alford chose to play for Bob Knight. By definition then, his life sucked for four years in Bloomington, despite finally winning an NCAA ring. Winning for Belligerent Bob sucked.

Next, Steve became the head coach of tiny Manchester College, in North Manchester, Indiana. The sucking therefore did not stop for Steve Alford, even though he won 72% of his games at North Manchester.

Next, Steve went to Southwest Missouri State (now known as Missouri State) in Springfield, MO. Charlie Spoonhauer had built it up. Mark Bernsen had built it down. Steve build it back up wining 62%, but it had to suck only winning 62% in Springfield.

Next, Steve Alford pissed his former Indiana coach Bob Knight off, when Alford took the head coaching job at Iowa. Knight was a jerk that didn't like assistants taking jobs in the Big Ten, while Knight was still coaching and intimidating at Indiana. Life sucked for Steven at Iowa City, because it was no fun having Bob Knight seething at him all the time. Life also sucked at Iowa City, because Alford was mediocre winning only 59% of his games overall, and worse only 47% of his Big Ten games. He knew when it was time to move on. It sucked but he did it.

Next, Steve moved to New Mexico University in Albuquerque. Albuquerque sucks most definitely. It was fun coaching in the snake pit, and Steve won 75% of his games, but to do it he had to coach a guy like J.R. Gidden and that had to suck. And did I mention Albuquerque?

At this point, one would have thought that Steve had earned some non-sucking years. And to Steve Alford it seemed he had. He had gotten the UCLA job. What could suck about the UCLA job? Try these few lines from the LA Times T.J. Simers the day Alford first met with the press after taking the UCLA job.

After mentioning not knowing much about USC's new coach Andy Enfield, Simers cracks:

"But he [Enfield] has to be more interesting and exciting than the dolt introduced as UCLA basketball coach Tuesday.

"It's pretty well understood that whoever coaches UCLA basketball is a dead man walking, it being only a matter of time before the alumni agree he'll never be another John Wooden.

"But this might be the first time UCLA actually hired a dead man."

--T.J. Simers on new UCLA Head Basketball Coach Steve Alford http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-0403-simers-ucla-alford-20130403,1,5946278.column?page=1

Life sucks and then you coach at UCLA.

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

Makes you wonder if he ever did a lick of research beforehand, or if he read anything at all about Kansas BB till he arrived. He plainly had issues with the entrance requirements & class attendance so he really had little future playing with the depth charts as they appear unless he made major improvements in more than one area. If you're not the golden child, freshman minutes are few & far between. Makes no diff-yesterdays news that we all thought was inevitable months ago. Some clown even called a couple of us out as "character assassins" for mentioning his maturity shortcomings a couple weeks back. But for the record, the last thing you should do to increase your value going forward anywhere, is to whine & complain either publically or with social media. Niether is a valid course of action if your head is on squarely. Not saying he can't mature, we're all young once, but clearly these are the things that win no favors with some coaches. Maybe the younger one's relate to the "Oprah/Dr Phil approach" in venting one's issues better than the old school guys.That's a pair always have time to listen. However, some people actually seem to have less patience, but really have to be productive at a superior level to make a living. Or just maybe Bill's "Give a damn's busted." Ya think? (courtesy of Joe Diffie) Just kidding!

stuckyson 1 year ago

I work at an NAIA school where we update the league on academic progress on a weekly basis when an athlete is in season. I heard of a number of mid semester academic suspensions in D1 this season so I am guessing the NCAA receives weekly updates also. Purely speculation, but part of the issue with Coach and 'Rio was the fact that Coach Self insists that his players meet basic academic standards. Someone can fact check this but since Bill Self has been at Kansas, Kansas has had an APR, the standard for NCAA checking academic progress, in the same category as Harvard and Stanford, plus every fourth or fifth year senior has earned a degree. Confronted with Coach Self's expectation of meeting the highest standards in the classroom, all out effort on the practice court and training rooms, patience in earning playing time with a bit of humility and class while representing Kansas it is no surprise that 'Rio bolted.

Freshman year in college is a crucible for everyone. Under the spotlight of being a scholarship basketball player for Kansas the pressure is magnitudes more intense. My respect to 'Rio for trying, for having fun with his team for most of the year, for showing glimpses of his potential. Hope that the fires of big time basketball didn't burn the desire out of him, and that hard work and discipline may still temper him into a great ball player.

jaybate 1 year ago

"The ABC's of Anrio Adams' Transfer"

A. I don't know diddledy squat more than anyone else here. I'm just taking a wild cut at this.

B. Rio was looking at being a backup at the 1, or maybe some 2. He probably didn't want to back up Naa, what with Naa having a couple of years to go. Self probably said he could play some2 also, but because of Selden coming in Self could not guaranty that Rio would be the starting 2. And it seems likely that Self is determined to sign some more players, even if Wiggins heads to UK. Rio sized up the situation, and said I might as well go home, sit out and grind on the books at a transfer school close to home.

C. Lorenzo Romar will find a place for Anrio at UWash. Anrio was probably just making sure Lorenzo was staying. It iced that Romar was staying yesterday, after a flurry of rumors he might move to Minnesota of the NBA, or south to UCLA. Lamar's 52 and got a ten year contract. He reputedly declined interest in the Timberwolves, UCLA jumped on Alford, and the Husky's AD loves Romar, so Lorenzo will be around. In turn, Anrio can square his grades up with a sit out year at UWash. He will then be just what the Husky's need. Here's a link to an interesting Seattle Times story on Anrio. Rio's high school coach thinks Rio expected to step in and play at KU and didn't understand that at a place like KU, where even BenMac sat out a season, it takes awhile. The high school coach thinks Rio has probably learned his lesson.

texashawk10 1 year ago

Not shocked by this one. I'm curious if the academic reference is in regards to his ACT score or if his GPA at KU isn't very good and he might JuCo bound. He had a skill set to be a solid contributor for KU in the future, but now he adds to the statistic that lower ranked kids Bill Self has brought in still have a greater chance of transferring than reaching their senior night at KU.

KemDooKU 1 year ago

The guy had some skill and was quick so it always hurts to lose a player like that but playing tons of minutes in every high school game and then playing at the most a few minutes a game in college has to be tough on the young players. I remember I started every game at short in T-ball then graduated to machine pitch and didn't sniff the infield all season - I saw the writing on the wall and I transferred out - so I feel your pain Anrio....... I feel your pain- peace out!!!!!

Alex Wishart 1 year ago

Rio's "invisible bowl of cereal" is a reference making fun of Chris Babb of Iowa State. In one of the Iowa State v KU games Babb hit a three and made the spoon-to-mouth motion. Incidentally he did not cup his hand to form a bowl. Nevertheless KU pulled away in the game and after a pivotal, momentum changing play Rio was shown making fun of Babb. Thus the best KU GIF was born.

Robbk1066 1 year ago

We wont miss Rio, wont be scared of him if we see him again. Dont care why he is leaving. We need two or three more, a guard, a wing or two. Should be interesting year with this much talent around. We wont get Wiggins. Would love to see a junior transfer though could help settle the young guys with a decent junior transfer coming in.

Since79 1 year ago

Oh well...the show must go on

Greg Lux 1 year ago

Rio has a lot of raw talent. It scares me we could run into him a few years down the road and regret we didn't find a way to use him at KU. I just have a feeling he is going to be something special around his junior and senior year. Best wishes Rio wherever you land I hope its a great fit for you.

Rock Chalk

tbbucboy21 1 year ago

sucks, this kid was going to be an absolute stud. going to be a GREAT defender and solid offensive pg...similiar to t taylor

Andy Tweedy 1 year ago

This just goes to show you why Twitter is evil if used inappropriately! If it weren't for his complaining about playing time on Twitter, would anybody really have a reason to dog on this dude? Good luck, Rio, hope you find what you're looking for...but stay off Twitter!!!

theoljhawk 1 year ago

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Rio! All I ever saw you do when you played was fire up empty shots or turn the ball over!

pepper_bar 1 year ago

"We’ve enjoyed him being here. He was a good teammate, and I know frustration can set in when you don’t play a lot, but he kept a good attitude..."

Laying it on a little thick here, aren't we? Has Bill not heard of Twitter?

Michael Sillman 1 year ago

Some posters seem to be driven to making definitive statements based on virtually no information or personal insight. The only one who really knows why he is leaving is Adams. Let's take him at his word and wish him good luck. He definitely has talent.

Jackster 1 year ago

Just kidding but I couldn't pass up on that one. I wish him all of the best!

Bob Forer 1 year ago

A bunch of pseudo communists posting. This is America. Freedom of Choice. KU is not for everyone, and not everyone is for KU. The kid had a right to choose KU, and he had a right to choose to leave. Leave him alone. From his perspective, it was the right thing to do. Those who tell him that he is making a poor decision are exceedingly presumptuous

Shane Garrett 1 year ago

I think this is the very definition of an "amicable" decision by all parties involved.

Jason Wilson 1 year ago

If Adams wasn't going to class we would have seen Self suspending him during the season. More likely, he was going to class but wasn't maintaining an acceptable GPA, or it may be that his GPA was acceptable but Adams simply wanted something less rigorous.

Who knows. a lot of different things it could be. We shouldn't read too much into the statement, but thank the kid for playing for us for a year and wish him the best of luck. From all outward appearances, he was a good teammate.

And @rtwngr, Releford will definitely make some good money playing basketball. Even if an NBA team doesn't pick him up, he can make 6-7 figures in Europe.

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

some very pleasant statements, but they leave me wondering how Self and Rio both really feel.

Good luck Rio, I hope that you end up at a school where you will be pressured and pushed by a demanding coach who genuinely cares about his players and you will grow into a highly disciplined and responsible young man who respects others and denies self and earns every good thing the right way.

rtwngr 1 year ago

Coach Self and his staff have a formula for winning. If you don't want to be a part of that formula then so be it. I find it amazing that players like Anrio Adams cannot look around and see the opportunity before them. Look at the players that preceded him. Russell Robinson, he was supposed to be a starter from day one and he didn't. Now he earns a nice living playing in Europe and comes home from time to time. Tyshawn Taylor, how many times did he kick the ball out of bounds bringing it upcourt during a game. More than once I would guess. Travis Releford, this guy had nothing but desire. Now look, he might have a chance at a living in basketball for a while and if not, he got a great education. Sorry, Anrio, you should have put your head down and gone to work.

DRJayhawk 1 year ago

Why do you guys go negative everytime someone transfers? Maybe the kids mises home maybe he expected more playing time, maybe he doesn't like the weather or maybe he'd rather play in a different system. According to twitter he's looking at Washington, Oregon, UCLA and Arizona.

Jay Dogger 1 year ago

Can we get Doyle back? Kidding! Looks like Frankamp will be our back-up PG to Tharpe, with Mason for depth. Hopefully our other guards (Selden, Greene, White) will have decent ball handling skills because we can't afford to have two 6'0" guards on the court at the same time for long stretches.

AZHawk72 1 year ago

With the drop of the word "academically," I'd bet on Eastern Washington or Washington-St. Gonzaga is a more rigorous private school.

Brett Forreal 1 year ago

Apparently wasn't going to class.

63Jayhawk 1 year ago

I'm betting Div II or Juco.

Brett Forreal 1 year ago

I think this kid was a type of cancer Self and Co. wanted to get rid of.

BigDBigJayhawk 1 year ago

What does "both academically and athletically" mean? Academically?

jgkojak 1 year ago

Washington State? With Royce?

shinguard 1 year ago

I feel like eating a bowl of invisible cereal right now