Originally published April 2, 2013 at 09:19p.m., updated April 3, 2013 at 12:00a.m.

KU freshman Rio Adams to transfer

Self seeking 'immediate impact' players in spring signing period

Kansas freshman guard Rio Adams watches second-half action from the bench during the Jayhawks’ home game against TCU on Feb. 23, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse. On Tuesday, April 2, Adams announced on Twitter that he will transfer from KU.

Kansas University freshman guard Rio Adams announced on Twitter Tuesday night that he will be leaving KU.

“I’m transferring to another school and will be getting released Tomorrow.... I love this team no matter what !!! I’ve learned a lot here!!” Adams said on his @WarLordRio Twitter account, which disappeared later Tuesday night.

Shortly after the tweet was posted, KU coach Bill Self confirmed to the Journal-World that Adams was transferring.

“He is leaving. He will get his release tomorrow,” Self said.

Adams, a 6-foot-3 guard from Seattle, on various occasions this season expressed his displeasure with playing time on Twitter and Facebook. Adams, who has not yet revealed his future school, scored 27 points while playing in 24 games. He hit 10 of 25 shots, including two of five threes. He was 5-of-13 from the free-throw line with six assists against 11 turnovers.

Not done recruiting: Self, who has signed ESPN’s No. 3-ranked high school basketball recruiting class entering the April 17-May 15 spring signing period, says he and his assistants are not finished in their pursuit of players.

“Immediate impact,” Self said Tuesday, asked what he’s looking for on the recruiting trail. “We could probably sign a couple more.”

KU, which has signed No. 25-ranked (Rivals.com) Brannen Greene, No. 26 Wayne Selden, No. 31 Conner Frankamp, No. 37 Joel Embiid and No. 134 Frank Mason, is still in the hunt for No. 1-rated Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. He and Selden will be playing in today’s McDonald’s All-American game, set for an 8:30 p.m., start on ESPN.

The Jayhawks, whose class is ranked behind Kentucky and Memphis, have two scholarships left to give, three if freshman guard Ben McLemore heads to the NBA.

Most expect the 6-foot-5 McLemore to declare for the draft sometime next week after the players conduct their end-of-the-season meetings with Self.

Self on Tuesday confirmed the fact McLemore is on campus and in class following KU’s season-ending loss to Michigan on Friday night.

McLemore and senior Jeff Withey on Tuesday were named consensus second-team All-Americans (Sporting News, Basketball Writers, AP, NABC).

“I’m really happy for Ben and Jeff,” Self said. “Both had great years. Both are very deserving.”

Tape hasn’t been viewed: Self said he hadn’t watched a replay of Friday’s season-ending overtime loss to Michigan.

“I’m not going to watch it. I very rarely watch the last game. I’ve probably only watched a couple of them, unless it ended in a win,” Self said. “I won’t watch this one. I’ve replayed it in my head, like I’m sure all the players have of what happened and what went wrong. We probably had to have six, seven things go wrong in the last minute, minute-and-a-half. They had to have a lot of things go right. It certainly played out that way.”

Meetings ahead: Self, who is a member of the NABC Board of Directors, will attend some of the Final Four later this week. He said that, as of Tuesday, he’s not accepted any overtures from national TV networks to work as an analyst or panelist.

“I don’t think I can be there the whole time, but I will certainly attend several meetings,” Self said. “There are things required of everybody on different boards. It’s a week I wish I wouldn’t be going to any meetings. I wish I could be coaching my team.”

Comments

Kevin Jenkins 1 year ago

So, finally he is gone. We have better talent in waiting. Good luck where ever he ends up. If he was so talented, why didn't he start? Sorry, but we do have better players. Maybe our new players aren't as talented on twitter. I am sure we fill our empty slots.

phogphan2000 1 year ago

Selden played well from what I saw of the McD AA game.

Wiggins holds a lot of power in his commitment. He could make KU a title contender, maybe UNC, or he could really push things in UK's favor. Tharpe, Selden, Wiggins, Ellis and whomever is better of Traylor, Lucas, Embiid by the end of the season could play with anybody. Would be a great bench too with Mason/Frankamp/Greene/AW3 and 2 of those last 3.

Didn't realize Frazier was headed to SMU. Can't believe the fools in the national media that actually questioned SMU hiring Larry Brown last year.

Go Shockers, beat UofL! While you're at it win another game after that if it's not too much trouble.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year ago

I'm relieved to see him go for several reasons, such as ball handling, but for the biggest reason: he either doesn't understand how to behave or just doesn't care. After the Carolina game, Coach Roy was shaking hands, smiling, being the great representative of the game he is, and our players showed him the respect that would make Self proud, the same respect that the UNC players should and probably did show Coach Self. When Roy walked by Adams, Adams looked away and did not acknowledge him.

Maybe Rio had never heard of Coach Roy before. Anyway, his antics on the sidelines were as much a problem for me as they were hilarious for others. Funny, but not as funny wearing the KU uniform.

I don't wish him any harm, but his attitude (Twitter BS) won't be missed. How many Seattle-area players have whiffed at KU?

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year ago

I just re-watched the KU-IowaSt overtime game in Ames, Iowa (the EJ39 game), and after EJ's shot-clock beating NBA++ range 3 in overtime, the KU bench erupts with jubilation, as guys are pushing/shoving and bumpin' into each other, and even playful-but-hard punching one-another (typical college bball sideline behavior)...Thing is, I saw Jamari literally punch Rio in the chest and Rio is not amused, not part of the jumpin'&bumpin', and is giving Jamari the death glare. Thus there is more speculation on the lockerroom dynamic involving Rio Adams. Was he getting picked on? Was he the butt of jokes? Sometimes cliques form...(Just speculating, since I have no real idea, but see that replay, it is very chilling, and uncharacteristic from the usual Rio we saw on the sideline.). Just wonderin'...

LeadFarmer 1 year ago

There goes Rio joining the list of KU transfers who have had distinguished careers elsewhere...oh that's right, they don't.

towns 1 year ago

Has anybody seen what Royce Wooldrige is up to this year? Look at his stat line against Oregon State this year. http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330470265

We could definitely have used that kid.

LngTimeFan 1 year ago

I wasn't at any practice but I saw what Rio did in games and it wasn't better than the starters or other subs off the bench. He clearly doesn't get that he has to earn his PT no matter where he goes. Does he actually think the is better than EJ, TR, BMc, or PE?! And he thinks the coaches have no idea what they are doing? Really? Good luck little boy, you have alot of growing up to do. I hope things work out well at some lower division school. Part of growing up is learning along the way. Rio clearly has a lot of learning and maturing to do.

chiefgordon 1 year ago

I think this headline photo is a bit unfair. It was no mystery he wasn't thrilled most of this season, but he eventually became one of the most enjoyable bench players to watch. Too bad we're not left with the image of him cheering his team on. Or at least shooting the ball during one of his few minutes of playing time.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year ago

So Self wants an immediate impact player? How about Wally Judge? He didn't have a great season at Rutgers, but with Mike Rice canned and Judge in a position where he should be able to transfer and play immediately, I'd be willing to take a chance on him. As far as I'm concerned, we're at the perfect place for a guard rotation, so I don't think we need to add anyone unless they'd be significantly better point guards than Tharpe/Frankamp/Mason/Selden. Judge should at least be a cut above Landen Lucas and/or Jamari Traylor. And I'm sure he wouldn't mind waxing the floor with the Wildcats.

Rotation:

1) Tharpe/Frankamp/Mason 2) Selden/Green/Frankamp 3) White/Green/Ellis 4) Ellis/Judge/Traylor 5) Embiid/Lucas/Judge

William Weissbeck 1 year ago

I know this is off topic, but remind me again why we shouldn't have invited Louisville into the Big 12?

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

LESSONS I'VE LEARNED THIS SEASON. [Note, I am not as smart as most of you so please hold your laughter down to a polite titter].

1] It appears that a #1 can play as a #2 but it is much harder for a #2 to play as a #1.

2] It's probably a good idea to use most of your timeouts...especially in the second half.

3] How bad are those teams in the NIT that a Scott Drew-coached team is about to win it all!!??

4] Mark my word, if UK with 15 Mac Americans, hurts TV ratings with blowout after blowout, the NCAA will find something to crucify Cal with!!

5] The new movie, Olympus Has Fallen, is a great flick because Ashley Judd's character dies in the first ten minutes!!

6] Next year's Kansas Team will be so young the nickname will be changed to the Kansas Jayhawklettes.

AZHawk72 1 year ago

Like many of you, I'd rather not pick-up a borderline player from 2013 and save the schoolie for the 2014 group. However, we were thin at the power forward and center positions this year, and only one injury could have put us in a world of hurt. I don't want to tempt fate for a second consecutive year as I don't like the odds. I think we need one more even if it's a rental for a year.

As far as finding an additional point guard at this late date--give it up! Anyone who has been watching the NFL free agency feeding frenzy on their quarterbacks, no matter how miserable they were, knows court or field generals are, perhaps, a little over-valued.

My vote goes to Junior Etou, 6-8 225 lb. power forward, Bishop O'Connell High School, Arlington, Virginia. Okay, Rivals only has him at #142, but he still is highly considering us. The only negative I could find on him is he can't dribble. After Tharpe last year and Adams this year, we're somewhat schooled by rookie-bounce-ball-off-foot learning curve.

justinryman 1 year ago

Once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk.

Jayhawk for life.

Good luck in your future endeavors Rio.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

How 'bout Desmond Lee of New Mexico Community College (5th leading scorer in the juco ranks @ 21.9/gm.) & drawing Div. I majors interest from the likes of Illinois & Baylor. Who knows...might even earn a starting position over Greene or White III - Selden really more of a bit shorter SF anyway.

Old article so I hope he hadn't already committed and I wasn't aware of it.

See also, N.C. State involved:

Ironically, 6'-3, 180....almost the same body type as Adams but 5 lbs heavier.

KemDooKU 1 year ago

I miss him already - there is not enough tissue in the world to wipe away the tears!!! Bill to Rio ........ Baby come back .....baby come back... to me .....I was wrong and I just can't live without you...... Baby come back ......baby come back ....to me .... I was wrong and I should have played you more

I'm hear all week! Up next a song for Wiggins.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

We don't too well with recruits having to do with the state of Washington. Rio, Downs, and Woolridge. All from there or went there in Royce's case.

Wonder if anyone knows, I can't think of any examples besides Gidden's cup of coffee in the NBA, who has left KU and become an NBA player?

And then a second question, who has transferred here and went to the league? Withey will most likely be one, but who else? I think Rex Walters fits that definition. Anyone else?

Dirk Andrews 1 year ago

Peace out Rio! The last thing this program needs is for someone's lack of mental toughness to cause us to lose games we should win (deja vu?). Which was all this kid was heading for. Coach would put him in the game, and he's jacking up shots left and right. If he wasn't a basket case of jealousy and self pity all year, he might've been called upon to help us out while our supposed point guards failed to bring the ball up the court. Instead, he came into games, jacked up shots, never cared about running an offense, and rode the pine. Peace!

Just a thought, but maybe Self needs to watch the tape from the game. I think it could benefit us A LOT. Just accept it, we lost, and part of it was your fault. Learn from it, instead of acting like you are too good to acknowledge it.

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

The unwritten XXIX Amendment to The Bill of Rights of the Constitution of the United States:

The right of citizens of the United States to make poor decisions and suffer the possible consequences of those decisions. {I have exercised this right more times than I wish to admit to].

I had hoped 'Rio would stay, but I wish him only the best in finding the path to where he wants to be.

master16 1 year ago

good luck to Anrio. i don't understand some of you. other players like Royce Woolridge and Nick Bahe all transferred yet most of you were happy for them and wished them the best. Rio transfers and half (or more than half) of you are angry and say 'don't let the door hit you on the way out'. seems like you guys are more hurt and bitter about him leaving because he has more potential than the other two guys. seems unfair

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year ago

Little bit of advice for Rio...DON'T TRANSFER TO RUTGERS!!!

jayhawkintx1973 1 year ago

If he doesn't want to be at Kansas, and if he thinks he's going to be happier, oh well. My view is that it's his loss. We have a solid class coming in next year and Ellis/Traylor/White/Tharpe returning on top of that. We saw what Tharpe can do, a few times double digits in assists and Ellis came on strong late. Traylor also showed some big time athleticism in his limited PT. Then put that on top of the class we have coming and Bill Self's coaching ability (the best in the country in developing players).

In the end, Rio Adams will be the one losing but its his choice. Best of luck.

jay_cheese 1 year ago

Good luck to Rio. He shot himself in the foot using social media many times in his brief time here (I know what I'll remember about him at KU and it's not his play). I'm 99% certain he was warned against doing exactly these things but he didn't care. I prefer that our players draw attention b/c of the play on the court, not b/c of showing us how dumb they are on twitter. Lots of programs need talented kids so he'll land somewhere. 15 yrs ago I don't think a kid like would've transferred but he dug his own hole on this one. Again, best of luck. A likley relief for Self & Co for not having to deal with this continued PR nightmere...

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year ago

So, what "immediate impact" players are available? I'm not banking on Wiggins by any means... who else are they looking at?

Joe Baker 1 year ago

I understand Rio's decision. I think it was impulsive and Self was both reluctant and eager to grant the transfer. We will miss his Self-experience at the PG. I really didn't see Mason playing much at all. I know Rio would've had a breakout soph season. He was set right behind Tharpe to be "the man" his junior and definitely his senior season. We all saw it and most of us know how Self's pg system works.

Rio, you made a big mistake and if you read these wild posts, you really did have a shot behind Tharpe playing some big mins at the pg. Good luck and hope you get exactly what you want. I don't think you will find it, but it could be out there and some desperate coach needing a fair player from a great program will want your talents.

O' Rio we hardly knew ye

GortHawker 1 year ago

Obviously he didn't see any playing time here next year either, he'll probably end up playing for Dana Altman

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON.

1] The LimeAide and Beef Nachos at Allen Fieldhouse.

2] A new home for "The Rules."

3] More freshmen and sophomores playing for Bill Self than anytime in the last ten years.

4] The answer to the question, " Who will be the designated lead locker room dancer next season [spoiler alert - it won't be Perry].

5] All Nickname team: Jo Jo, The Designer, AW3, Mean Greene, Conner the Bomber, Semi, Seldom, The Frankenator, CoolLL and WARP.

6] Posters Jaybate, HEM, Ralster, BigManU, bennybob, konkeyDong, REHawk. nuleafjhawk, KansasComet, PVJayhawk, LAJayhawk, drgnslayr, KULA and even ahpersecoaching experience. [apologies to any regular that I have forgotten].

7] The inevitable return of every lame-a$$ Kentucky troll who were totally significant by their absence this year!!

8] Conference Title #10, NCAA invite # 25, Top Ten Rating and, what the heck, another 30 victories.

9] Every best wish and hope that all of us will be around to see it.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Wont miss Anrio Adams one bit. If the kid doesn't want to stay and get better as a person and a player then KU clearly doesn't need him. Anrio, don't let the door hit you on the behind when you go out like an immature child.

flyingfinn 1 year ago

Coach Self is a tough but fair task master, but I believe that Rio would have been better off to stay IF he wanted to work for a starting job or more playing time. Nothing is guaranteed in life you have to work for it, but if you believe your fortunes are better off some place else, good luck Rio you will be missing a lot of fun next year with the talent we have coming in.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year ago

Can we get over the myth that Self doesn't play freshmen? Self plays talent whenever he has it. Xavier Henry played as a frosh when we had other guards available. Selby played as a frosh between the time of his penalty and the time of his injury. BMac was nominally a frosh, but more importantly, was more talented than his competition on the bench even though Tharpe entered the year having played more minutes. Self is going to play whoever performs, and for players that perform less, they get less leeway. It's that simple. It also should come as no surprise that less talented players tend to be the ones that have played for him less. For some reason, the experience of competing at a higher level makes you more competitive. Whodathunk? Lastly, Self will be playing a ton of freshmen next year because they'll comprise half the roster. I fully expect Selden to start. Embiid may too, depending on how far along he is compared to Lucas and Traylor. With Rio gone, one of Mason or Frankamp is going to have to back up the point for Tharpe. Greene could be a rotation guy right away too. We have 9 talented players coming in and returning. That's a pretty perfect rotation.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year ago

What an absolute joke from a logic standpoint, since mpg there for the taking. Rio simply got his pride hurt by having to face reality from Bill Self, and decided no one was going to tell him what to do...Honestly, Self tells every recruit PRIOR to coming what the work ethic requirements are, yet imho, I think Rio thought he could wow&amaze Self into playing him alot, but other than proving he needed more developmental time, he proved nothing else. And by tweeting to the outside world his gut-feelings like that, it showed the world and all of us (& Bill Self) that Rio Adams did not fully buy into our program's style and philosophy and work ethic. Thanks but no thanks for wasting everybody's time, including your own, Rio Adams. Quitter. That "epic ride" and "learned alot" you tweeted about were served up by a future Hall of Fame coach, AND experienced players...and you acted like you were "eating up what they served" on the sideline? We thought that was fun on the sideline, but you didnt really mean that did you? Because you werent really serious. Do work, not tweet about it. First lesson for a growing young man: Do the work to earn what it is you want. That is how you take what you want. Good luck playing for a lesser team (why do you want us to laugh at you like that?). Thought you would be tougher than this cut-&-run nonsense. Had really high hopes for you on both ends of the court, but it all begins with mental toughness. Ask all Bill Self's guards, not only at Kansas, but also at Illinois. Nothing new. Did you talk to EJ, Tyshawn, Sherron, Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Tyrel Reed? Ever?

Yolanda Gay 1 year ago

If Tyshawn Taylor's Twitter antics didn't get him off the team, I doubt if Rio's did. I think he just wants to play. I wish him good luck. I wish he would have stayed and worked on his game. Which game was it where he came in and scored 11 points in mop-up time?? He had potential.

I wonder if the last straw was that he wasn't allowed/able to participate in the Harlem Shake video with the rest of his teammates - something about school work. I can't imagine if he was the only one with school/class conflict. ;)

Anyway, best of luck Anrio.

Waylon Cook 1 year ago

I truly love Coach Self. But he needs to watch the last game..................

GT, Bucknell, Bradley, UCLA, MSU, UNI, VCU, and Michigan were all games we truly had a shot at. He might learn something....

Janet Olin 1 year ago

I hope he finds a place where he 'fits', can learn a work ethic and grow up. Sitting out another year probably isn't the smartest move either. Not KU worthy. Since you're unhappy here, Rio, be gone already.

gchawk 1 year ago

Prior to this announcement I was wondering how the number of transfers we've experienced over the past 10 years compares to other high profile basketball schools, this article has now peaked my interest. Best of luck Rio, hope everything turns out well for you.

KUlancer 1 year ago

What about trying to land a guy like this?

Sounds like Josh Davis would be a serviceable one-year guy and provide front court depth. Who knows, he could be a "high-impact" guy based on the numbers he had this season.

Robert Brock 1 year ago

Rio was an outstanding on-the-ball defender who needed time to work on shooting, ball-handling, passing, and basic decision-making. I hoped that he would stick around and work on those facets (while providing good-quality practice effort) but it is understandable that he wanted to play more minutes and soon. With the addition of Selden, Frankamp, and Mason it was apparent that minutes were going to be tough to get.

Good luck to this young man. There are going to be opportunities out there!

REHawk 1 year ago

I am striving to look ahead; but am still drawn back to Elijah's bizarre play vs. Michigan. Here's my final thought regarding the situation. What if he is still undergoing extreme discomfort from that summer knee surgery, loads up on pain pills in order to perform his very best vs. one of the nation's best point guards. Perhaps mixes that with a high energy sports drink? I mention this because of a personal incident which I recently experienced. Had taken a hydrocodone pill to relieve back pain before attending a country and western dance. Committed the error of topping off the pain pill with two bottles of beer. The wife reports that my behavior was extraordinarily bizarre! Just a thought....

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

I need to apologize to Coach Self for criticizing the fact that he doesn't watch tape of last games. (I'm sure he's reading this).

After reflecting for a couple of hours this morning, I remembered that I, too used to be a high level coach and I too, never watched any tape/film.

It was 20 years ago today, Sgt Pepper taught the band to play - - - wait- - - I was coaching my daughter's 10 and under Elite softball team in the Princess Ponytail League and we steamrolled the other little wussy girls in our league and had advanced to the World Championship Game in Daytona. Or Barcelona. Or Arizona. Somewhere that ended in "ONA ".

Long story short - it was a back and forth battle, worthy of Princess Ponytail expectations. We had taken an early lead, given it up and then stormed back to within one run. We're at bat - bottom of the 9th, bases loaded and I had a real dilemma on my hands; do I go with the next batter on deck, a 10 year old (that's a Senior in the PPL) who just happened to be blind. And deaf. And only had one arm. OR - do I make a substitution for the Amazon Princess 8 year old who is 6'2", 205 lbs and can hit the ball 500' while simultaneously texting her best friend? The same Amazon Princess who, in this tournament had batted 98/98 with 97 home runs. (The one lone at bat that was not a home run was a line shot back to the pitcher. It bored a hole clean through her forehead, bounced one time and went over the fence for a ground rule double)

Naturally I went with the Senior, that's the responsible thing to do. She struck out looking. So to speak.

That's the way I remember it all going down anyway. I'll check the tape.

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

Fire Bill Self.

Sincerely,

SoobawlsInNEbraska

KemDooKU 1 year ago

If Bill self wants more One and Done players then he needs to change his strategy and let these One and Done players come in and not go to class and not play defense and basically let them take any shot on the court they want - kind of like Kentucky played this year and look where that got them ....NIT and embarrassed by going down as a one seed to an eight seed in round one - what KU fan wants that - I say thanks Bill for a great season and I don't mind you not getting Wiggins one bit - you are the smartest man in the room and besides a Fluck melt down with five minutes to go in the sweat 16 which was hardley your fault we would have had a chance to compete with Florida in our third consecutive Elite 8 game-

NorthTexJayhawks 1 year ago

Sorry to see Rio go. He could be really good. Nearly every school is still seeking Immediate impact players. Unfortunately, Wiggins is the only remaining high schooler that fits that bill. Potential impact transfers: Zach Peters returns Tony Parker (possibly released from UCLA because of coaching change) Angelo Chol (Arizona is loaded at the 4 and 5 and we heavily recruited him two years ago) Michael Dixon, Jr. (if he graduates, he can go anywhere. There is the rape allegations, but if he is cleared, wouldn't it be cool to see him in the backcourt with Tharpe next year?) Marshawn Powell (Arkansas PF who will graduate, but is considering entering the draft. He has no tie to KU that I'm aware of, but he'd be nice to have)

Unfortunately, KU will probably have to settle on another Merv Lindsay, Tyrone Appleton or Mitlon Doyle. Next season, because of the Self-imposed rule that unless you are a top-10 recruit or are needed out of necessity, you must sit the bench and wait your turn, and because Self is so hard on young PGs, I have a hard time seeing Frankamp, Greene, Mason, or Embiid taking a different path than what Adams, White, Johnson, Releford, and Robinson had to. Barring a McLemore return and a last minute player, the 7-man rotation points to Tharpe, Selden, White, Ellis and Traylor with Wesley or Lucas and Frankamp or Greene coming off the bench.

REHawk 1 year ago

Dang, man, you need to get one of those big rubber air-filled dolls to sit in front of your nice couch. Maybe a caricature of Scott Drew or Dick Vitale. Kick the hell out of that thing next time the Jayhawks send you into a rage.

jayhawkinATL 1 year ago

Some kids just have unrealistic expectations and no concept of reality. His play spoke for itself. It's not rocket science!

Dyrk Dugan 1 year ago

a decent kid, but when you're known more for your sideline antics than your play, then the handwriting is on the wall. with all of the qualifying issues he had, he shouldn't have been recruited in the first place.

we can do better than these types of kids.....a lot of flash, but very little substance. when he came into the game, he was an instant turnover. i wish him well, but he took up a schollie that could have been served much better.

bennybob 1 year ago

Milton Doyle, Rio Adams....next up Frank Mason.

Its not a coincidence that the lowest ranked recruits are the ones that cant get PT and end up transferring.

Kudos to Landen Lucas for taking the red shirt and sticking it out, he's not likely to see alot of action until maybe his senior campaign.

KemDooKU 1 year ago

Bye Rio - cant say I will miss you much because I really never saw you much on the court - Oh well that must be why you are transferring. Nothing but love and wish you well - after all it's your life and your decision and I don't pay your bills so I really have no business being in your business- enjoy!!

Also forget about Wiggins because UK is the destination not the reverse KU These guys don't want to be coached much and don't care much about learning defense and Coach Cal said getting his players to the NBA was the most important thing to him so that being said Why would you not play for Kentucky and Coach Cal if you were a sure fire NBA player - hell I am one of the biggest KU fans around - I kicked a hole in my couch when Burke hit that three on us - ( wife was pissed and now I have to spend a grand on a new leather couch) but if I was a One and Done player I would seriously consider Kentucky - unless they let these kids go directly from High School then Coach Cal will keep getting these kids and Self and the rest will just have to wait in line-

akgjenkintown 1 year ago

KU will be even younger. Sorry to see Rio go. He had a year of KU basketball under his belt (and he played as much as Tharpe in his Freshman season) and now the prospects at point guard are Tharpe, Manning, Self and a Freshman. Not very impressive at a key position, which as everyone witnessed cost KU a chance for a national championship this season. I don't care how talented the newcomers are, they lack experience and few true freshman have made impact at pg at KU under Self. No matter what people think about Rio and his attitude, losing another point guard to transfer, when Self failed to adequately recruit and retain talent at that position, will be problematic next season. On an aside, I do hope for some reason Peters is healthy and motivated and can return to KU.

Jake Waddle 1 year ago

Good luck in Ames as a cyclown ... make sure you eat at hickory park.

REHawk 1 year ago

Regarding what he is looking for on the recruiting trail, Self says, "Immediate impact. We could probably sign a couple more." I'd say that he is sounding the clarion bell for national if not worldwide attention to KU's immediate needs. Some experienced player from the j.c. ranks, Div. II, or a ready-to-play transfer such as last season's Oriaki will make contact with the Kansas recruiting staff. Perhaps an international talent. I won't be at all surprised to see Rio's schollie go to a player who is experienced, mature, and ready to assume significant dependable minutes.

Mel Clare 1 year ago

Not surprised. He was going to battle the class coming in anyway. best wishes to him elsewhere. Self says he is looking for one or two more recruits. Who is ledt besides Wiggins? Is he looking at a big that may be a project to redshirt and help the following year? Or what about JUCO players? he has had some success with them. What about OTHER school transfers? How we got Withey. There should be a couple of guys out there who can help this team next year evolve into a a solid team. We need another of those 6'8-6'9 guys who are big and solid to help the middle.

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

3 Freshmen that started the year in France are no longer with the team. Of the 3, the only one that I wish were still here has had 4 concussions and signed with the Jayhawks when he was a Sophmore in High School.

KansasComet 1 year ago

Best wishes Rio Adams. I don't have anything bad to say about Rio Adams. I like the fact that he did not want to sit bench. What real competitor does? I think once he puts it all together, he will be an exceptional basketball player. This year's tourney has shown that some Freshmen, when given the opportunity can be successful.

Pork_Ribs 1 year ago

Watch film? Of players that for the most part will be gone.

We're all able to point to what we think are mistakes made by all in the game(s). We didn't have to watch the game over and over to come to our conclusions did we? I guarantee you HCBS knows exactly what, if anything, he would have done differently. Anyone that says otherwise simply has never coached at a competitive level.

April13 1 year ago

In terms of adding someone late....what about an international player? I'm not sure what the guidelines/limitations are, so I don't know if this is an option. But I'm guessing that there is a guy in Brazil, Spain or Russia who would like to play here and who could be an impact guy.

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

Don't care about Adams, today will be the last time I ever think of him.

What REALLY bothers me about this article is the fact that Self said he doesn't watch tape of the last games.

You might learn a thing or two so as NOT to repeat your mistakes Coach.

Please watch them. Over and over and over.

hotrodm 1 year ago

Coach Self SHOULD watch the tape of the last game. He could learn from his mistakes, especially the mistake of not calling time out when EJ was bringing the ball up and got caught behind the 10 second line. Also not fouling after EJ's missed free throw, and KU was up by three at the end of the game. Coach should also watch the cheap shot EJ gave McGary, bad Karma.

Casey Gee 1 year ago

Well, no one saw THIS coming. Honestly, why transfer and wait a year when there is nothing but open court in front of you? You could have been great Rio.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

So now we NEED a backup SG for sure! Anyone from Minnesota, USC, UCLA, or New Mexico fit that where they'd be allowed an immediate transfer?

KULA 1 year ago

Sorry to see Rio go--he was the best dancer on the team. And he had mad athleticism. But he obviously wasn't Bill's type of player. In the end-of-year meeting, Bill probably told him to redshirt with no guarantee of playing time when he came back, basically telling him that he didn't want him around anymore.

And on another note, Bill once again refuses to watch the tape of the last game. I can't get over this hard headedness. Maybe he's afraid of seeing himself when the shot clock hit 26 and he should have been calling a timeout.

Dan Cook 1 year ago

This is best for all concerned. I'm not going into details, but AO has serious demons that turn people off big time. The "act" grows old and respect for people, in general, is something the young man has yet to grasp. You can't continue to make major mistake after major mistake in terms of being a good person and continue to a member of this program. This end result is not surprising at all.

Todd Simpson 1 year ago

next year we will have better ball movement and less turnovers

Jay Dogger 1 year ago

Every time I saw Rio on the bench he was talking to the player next to him who looked like he was trying to ignore Rio and concentrate on the game. He was a wild card for a team that needs players/depth/experience. Not a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless.

The odds of landing another talented recruit are slim. There are no HS Seniors left and why would someone transfer and sit out knowing he will be a year behind five members of the #3 class plus 4-5 guys older than those guys?

"Impact." HCBS is looking for a guy like Young--experienced and ready to play this year. How many are there that exist? Even those guys are guys who will wonder if they can crack the line-up with the players we have and the coach in charge. Our best bet is someone who really wants to play specifically for KU and/or Coach Self.

Next year we will see how KU and Self do having Freshman play serious minutes. If the chemistry is there we will be successful. If not, we will look very average.

William Blake 1 year ago

GGood luck, Rio!

I don't believe this was about PT. It was a personality clash... Rio and CS didn't mesh. Rio will go sit somewhere for a year, but will use the time wisely growing up and working on his game. He'll get some real minutes in a couple of years.

We will sign at least one player who is not a frosh. My first guess would be from the juco ranks. I can also see us snag someone who wants out of his current scholie.

We have plenty of talent already signed for next year.. but we still need to add more players and CS is looking for immediate impact players. I'm pretty sure that means not all freshmen.

Adam Tyler 1 year ago

I wish I could ask...

David Padgett, Omar Wilkes, Micah Downs, CJ Giles, Quintrell Thomas, JR Giddens, Royce Wooldridge, Tyrone Appleton, and Alex Galindo if they regret transferring?

But you gotta do, what you gotta do...

Thanks for the year Rio, best of luck!

Stephan123 1 year ago

Good Luck, Rio. I was always shocked by how fumble bumble he was when on the court. Probably just too excited when presented with playing time. A little more seasoning and he will be a competent teammate somewhere.

Benjamin Jones 1 year ago

We would have been a hell of a lot better this year starting Naadir at point and bringing along Rio as his backup. Might have been some early-season bumps but by March we would have been hitting on all cylinders. E.J. would have backed up the other two guard positions, and all five guards would have been fresher throughout the game. Problem is, Bill cannot abide early-season bumps.

cklarock 1 year ago

@Rio: Find the right fit, and best of luck to you in your college career. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

MinorThreat 1 year ago

Just can't wait one offseason then likely be a key component to a well rounded, dangerous, young team... could have been a true success story for KU in my opinion.

iamakufan 1 year ago

Always sorry to see a good kid leave but can sure understand his thinking. That doesn't mean I think it's the best way but it might be best for him in the long run to go somewhere where he won't have better players ahead of him keeping him from getting many minutes. Best of luck to Rio Adams.

J.T. Even 1 year ago

Case in point, one of the first posters said he'll miss him because of bench antics.

J.T. Even 1 year ago

I didn't want to say anything before 'cause I don't know the guy, but judging Rio by his Twitter comments and sideline antics, he only seemed concerned about himself. If someone made a play he was dancing the hardest off the bench, like he was trying to earn the best cheerleader award. It seemed to me that if Rio wasn't going to see time on the court, he was going to get the spotlight on the bench.

beakem_hawks 1 year ago

I predict we get Rodney Purvis from NC State who announced his transferring.

jpuch 1 year ago

The problem with a lot of 4-star / highly recruited players is they are told how awesome they are all their lives and then they come to KU and sit the first year or two, sometimes three. It would be frustrating but I believe for most players, it pays to stay.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year ago

Only one Rio that I want to remember as a Jayhawk.

jayhawkinnc 1 year ago

I say we sign Jaybate!!! lol

Miguel Colón 1 year ago

So who is out there for us to get if we dont get Wiggins?

bradynsdad 1 year ago

Ben is coming back and were landing Wiggins!! That's why!!! I foresee all!!!!

Konkis Dongington III 1 year ago

Not shocked but what a waste. His type of athleticism isn't easy to come by. Too bad he wasn't patient enough to develop it.

Dale Kroening 1 year ago

If it was about playing time, why transfer and sit out a year and NOT PLAY ? I wish Rio luck, but it makes no sense. Maybe he doesnt think he can beat anyone out for minutes that are left or coming in , I dont know. You would think he would have a good shot at cracking the rotation next season, but if he doesnt want to earn it I guess both are better off.

Bridgett Wagner 1 year ago

I'll miss the sideline antics.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year ago

Case in point. How much did we need guard play this year? However the bright lights and big city of Pullman where just too much for Royce to say no to.

Jack Wilson 1 year ago

This was the worst kept secret all season.

With our recruiting class, the battle shaped up to be Tharpe vs. Adams for the scholarship. Self made comments about Tharpe and going in another direction in November if Tharpe didn't step up his game. Tharpe responded. Dwayne Wade .. er, Adams responded on Twitter all season. It was pretty easy to see that he was out the door. While I saw a lot to like in Adams' game, this is truly addition by subtraction.

The battle for scholarships (and PT) is ever-present. It was Peters vs. Lucas vs. Traylor .. one guy would have to go. It wasn't the guy we expected.

This is survival of the fittest.

Self said early in the season that he expected up to 8 scholarships to be available. Many were like .. really? Assuming McLemore goes pro, that is the number (4 seniors, McLemore, Wesley (Doyle), Peters, Adams). Wow. Three scholarships to fill and not a highly talented player to be found.

What is interesting is that we really don't need anyone else. We have a dead solid group of 10 players (with post questions the biggest concern). I would have no problem with Self giving one back to Wesley, and other walk-ons, and using the scholarships in 2014. Don't waste one on a Milton Doyle, or a low or unranked guy that won't ever play.

If we can snag a high quality transfer, do it.

But we are fine standing pat.

Bill Thompson 1 year ago

Exactly, no reason to run the kid down. At most other schools he would be getting quite a bit of playing time but this is Kansas we're talking about and he probably wouldn't have gotten significant PT until he was a junior or senior...

pigballin 1 year ago

Hope he uses his talent well.

Suzi Marshall 1 year ago

Rio needed to be a 5 year player to make a contribution. I bet it came down to his desire to play right away instead of taking a Red Shirt his second, sophomore, year. If that is the case, it's a social shame these kids to not see the value of an education.

Final4KU 1 year ago

Peace Rio! Have fun eating fake cereal at Oregon State! I'm not upset about this at all. It gives more time to Frankamp who is too good to sit a ton as freshman.

Mike Hamilton 1 year ago

I was excited when he signed after reading about his senior year but he never looked comfortable in the offense. We could have used him in the rotation this year but it just didn't seem to click. Sometimes new scenery is best. Best wishes to Rio.

April13 1 year ago

I had predicted two weeks till his announcement, he was a week faster than than I had even imagined.

Though I wish he had been a better teammate by not tweeting each and every displeasure during the season, he certainly has the right - and the obligation to himself - to change locations if this one isn't working.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him at Oregon or at USC fairly quickly. Best of luck to Rio. I hope that he grows up a little and has a successful career.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year ago

Love these guys that transfer. They aren't getting enough playing time so they decide to transfer and sit (!) out another year. Instead of paying their dues and developing into a player on a national championship contending team they'd rather take the easy 10-15 points a night playing for a bottom feeding team.

STLJayhawk10 1 year ago

good luck rio. did he really think he was going to come in this year and start or be the 6th guy? come on bro. he'd easily be the 7th guy next year, maybe 6th. whatever though. good luck

jhawkinsf 1 year ago

No reason to badmouth a young man searching for the right fit. Wish him well.

bradynsdad 1 year ago

I will hold out a positive note! This means Ben is coming back or Wiggins signs with us!!! I know I'm insane but Rio would have got a lot of minutes next year. Oh well. Glass half full!

TheBoHawk 1 year ago

He is the antithesis to McLemore

TheBoHawk 1 year ago

This along with sending EJ off is the NBA equivalent of a wildly successful off season. GOOOD RIDDANCE!...Rio is just not Kansas material. Wish you all the best in your streetball circuit career, bro.

jhawkln 1 year ago

He wasn't going to have a turn Camron.

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year ago

Won't amount to anything special, especially with his attitude.

jayhawkinnc 1 year ago

With Rio leaving and assuming McLemore goes pro, how many scholarships does that leave for us left to fill? 4? 5?

swunruh 1 year ago

Hate to see him go but it doesn't surprise me.

woowoowoo01 1 year ago

Such a bummer. But after his tweets and comments throughout the season I'm not surprised. Once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk! Good luck Rio!

Cameron Schienebeck 1 year ago

Talent kid who has potential to be real good. Too bad he can't wait his turn.

Thomas Michaud 1 year ago

Certainly not a shock, from previous reports ... However, I thought he'd mentioned that he wasn't considering transferring a few weeks back. Really had higher hopes for the kid and his skills on the defensive end. Sorry to see him go but wish him the best.