Originally published April 2, 2013 at 09:19p.m., updated April 3, 2013 at 12:00a.m.

KU freshman Rio Adams to transfer

Self seeking 'immediate impact' players in spring signing period

Kansas freshman guard Rio Adams watches second-half action from the bench during the Jayhawks’ home game against TCU on Feb. 23, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse. On Tuesday, April 2, Adams announced on Twitter that he will transfer from KU.

Kansas University freshman guard Rio Adams announced on Twitter Tuesday night that he will be leaving KU.

“I’m transferring to another school and will be getting released Tomorrow.... I love this team no matter what !!! I’ve learned a lot here!!” Adams said on his @WarLordRio Twitter account, which disappeared later Tuesday night.

Shortly after the tweet was posted, KU coach Bill Self confirmed to the Journal-World that Adams was transferring.

“He is leaving. He will get his release tomorrow,” Self said.

Adams, a 6-foot-3 guard from Seattle, on various occasions this season expressed his displeasure with playing time on Twitter and Facebook. Adams, who has not yet revealed his future school, scored 27 points while playing in 24 games. He hit 10 of 25 shots, including two of five threes. He was 5-of-13 from the free-throw line with six assists against 11 turnovers.

Not done recruiting: Self, who has signed ESPN’s No. 3-ranked high school basketball recruiting class entering the April 17-May 15 spring signing period, says he and his assistants are not finished in their pursuit of players.

“Immediate impact,” Self said Tuesday, asked what he’s looking for on the recruiting trail. “We could probably sign a couple more.”

KU, which has signed No. 25-ranked (Rivals.com) Brannen Greene, No. 26 Wayne Selden, No. 31 Conner Frankamp, No. 37 Joel Embiid and No. 134 Frank Mason, is still in the hunt for No. 1-rated Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. He and Selden will be playing in today’s McDonald’s All-American game, set for an 8:30 p.m., start on ESPN.

Most expect the 6-foot-5 McLemore to declare for the draft sometime next week after the players conduct their end-of-the-season meetings with Self.

Self on Tuesday confirmed the fact McLemore is on campus and in class following KU’s season-ending loss to Michigan on Friday night.

McLemore and senior Jeff Withey on Tuesday were named consensus second-team All-Americans (Sporting News, Basketball Writers, AP, NABC).

“I’m really happy for Ben and Jeff,” Self said. “Both had great years. Both are very deserving.”

Tape hasn’t been viewed: Self said he hadn’t watched a replay of Friday’s season-ending overtime loss to Michigan.

“I’m not going to watch it. I very rarely watch the last game. I’ve probably only watched a couple of them, unless it ended in a win,” Self said. “I won’t watch this one. I’ve replayed it in my head, like I’m sure all the players have of what happened and what went wrong. We probably had to have six, seven things go wrong in the last minute, minute-and-a-half. They had to have a lot of things go right. It certainly played out that way.”

Meetings ahead: Self, who is a member of the NABC Board of Directors, will attend some of the Final Four later this week. He said that, as of Tuesday, he’s not accepted any overtures from national TV networks to work as an analyst or panelist.

“I don’t think I can be there the whole time, but I will certainly attend several meetings,” Self said. “There are things required of everybody on different boards. It’s a week I wish I wouldn’t be going to any meetings. I wish I could be coaching my team.”

Comments

Thomas Michaud 7 years ago

Certainly not a shock, from previous reports ... However, I thought he'd mentioned that he wasn't considering transferring a few weeks back. Really had higher hopes for the kid and his skills on the defensive end. Sorry to see him go but wish him the best.

JayHok 7 years ago

I too support him and his love of his team. If any of us have a looking glass more power. Honestly I thought he'd challenge for good minutes next year and certainly would be better prepared in the long run if he is shooting for the NBA. He certainly has the athleticism.

LAJayhawk 7 years ago

Plus I'm really gonna miss his bench antics. Whatever his attitude problems or issues with playing time, the guy was hilarious to watch. Ironically, he seemed to always be having a lot a fun.

John Randall 7 years ago

I guess preferences are different from LaLaLand to HeartOfAmerica.

In retrospect, the "bench antics" seem to have been an "up yours" gesture toward the reserved, even staid, Okie Ball approach coach Self has followed to the best cumulative record in Div I the past several years. It did keep him in public view, but showed minimal recognition of or dedication to team values. He seems to be the latest illustration of the fact that it takes more than talent and athleticism to play at Kansas. There are many (some available, some not) venues where he'll fit more comfortably, and HCBS will help with those arrangements while shedding no tears.

Hail and farewell, may the sun shine on your sojourn.

bigjay83 7 years ago

Or the guy was saying nothing about "preferences," just that he was humorous to watch on the bench... which he was. And you decide to equate that to an entire region of the country as, apparently, substandard to what you believe as true values in the "HeartOfAmerica." I'm sure anonymously attempting to create some point of argument against an innocent statement as a values judgment against Bill Self, when the "bowl of Wheaties" and many other fun antics were nothing more than an 18-year-old adding his own unique brand of humor is fun for you. But for others across 'Merica... you know... the not real America you insinuate, you seem like kind of an overly sensitive, judgmental a-hole.

Or, perhaps we can both lighten up and let the guy just make an innocent statement about how Rio Adams was funny to watch dancing and clearly having a good time with his teammates on the bench. That's also an option on these boards.

Excuse me while I steal the words of many other posters on this website when I say... Lighten up, Francis.

Steve Zimmerman 7 years ago

And I reckon we'll have to live with that... Umm-hmmm.

Keith Kienzle 7 years ago

Well... now that Withey has the KU/Big 12 block record...maybe with Rio's transfer, Naadir is poised to take the assist records from Miles.

Cameron Schienebeck 7 years ago

Talent kid who has potential to be real good. Too bad he can't wait his turn.

niemoth 7 years ago

Says he learned a lot, but I guess he didn't learn anything from watching 3 seniors on this team who played the same number of minutes as him their freshman year who turned into big time names.

Travis Osier 7 years ago

Such a bummer. But after his tweets and comments throughout the season I'm not surprised. Once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk! Good luck Rio!

swunruh 7 years ago

Hate to see him go but it doesn't surprise me.

jayhawkinnc 7 years ago

With Rio leaving and assuming McLemore goes pro, how many scholarships does that leave for us left to fill? 4? 5?

John Randall 7 years ago

At least five of the seven vacated scholarships have been filled, and quite nicely filled, at that. Looking forward to another season with a few missteps early, strong conference performance, and respectable two-four NCAA wins.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

I like your optimism KU62 but history has shown that HCBS excels at developing freshman not playing them. With McLemore being one of the few exceptions (and he wasn't a true freshman), Coach Self won't have much choice.

Fortunately, KU has an exceptional incoming class but with Adams gone, once again we will be looking for steady play from the point guard position.

Travis Osier 7 years ago

I thought it was 3...Rio, Ben and Zacks spots. Not 100% sure that's right though.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years ago

I was adding the 4 seniors, but I forgot about Zach. Guess we could have room for 1-2 more.

Travis Osier 7 years ago

....my post is accounting for what we have coming in already...

Dale Kroening 7 years ago

I believe that leaves 2, unless Wesley's scholly is pulled so that would be 3. We lose 5 starters on scholly and have signed 5. Im pretty sure thats the breakdown, someone correct me if Im wrong ?

Travis Osier 7 years ago

I think you're right, I assumed Ben will leave.

Eric Dawson 7 years ago

13 max scholarships - 5 returning scholarship players (Justin has no guarantee year to year) after Ben announces = 8 available. 5 recruits signed leaves 3 unfilled.

OR 4 seniors + 1 EE + Rio + Milton + Justin = 8 available - 5 recruits = 3. Looks as if Justin will have one again next year.

KU_alum_2001 7 years ago

You guys are all kidding me with this, right? The article itself says 3. How six of you can be debating this is beyond me unless it's just for the point of humor, of course. Jayhawkinnc, to answer your question, there are 3 left.

Travis Osier 7 years ago

Easy fella! The article was updated this morning and all of our comments were done yesterday. As of yesterday the article stopped after the Rio portion.

Benz Junque 7 years ago

Did you not read the article?

"The Jayhawks, whose class is ranked behind Kentucky and Memphis, have two scholarships left to give, three if freshman guard Ben McLemore heads to the NBA."

Jeffery Barrett 7 years ago

Do you people not read the aricle? It says 3 if McLemore leaves.

Travis Osier 7 years ago

Umm, right back at cha bro....Did you not read my post above? ^^^

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years ago

Won't amount to anything special, especially with his attitude.

Bobby Burch 7 years ago

For real. What a whiner. Peace, Rio — glad you gave KU fans some good memes ...

rockchalkchalkin23 7 years ago

If only he had a coach that could help him develop the right one.

JD Roth 7 years ago

He wants to play and he will at another school and he will play well. Wish he would have stuck it out at KU but he will help another program. Anrio can play.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

Yup... I remember when Royce Woolridge left after sitting most of his first year. Now at Washington State, Royce is putting up solid numbers and imo, Rio has more upside than Royce.

Time will tell.

Seth Nesmith 7 years ago

He wasn't going to have a turn Camron.

Jonathan Allison 7 years ago

why not? Jeff Hawkins got his turn, Reed and Morningstar got their turns, Conner Teahan got his turn, Travis Releford got his turn. Or was that because they were Self's favorites.

Rio had a real shot at rotation minutes as early as next season. Assuming Tharpe's the starting PG he'd only be competing with Frankamp and Mason for backup minutes. Rio thought of himself as a top 25 recruit, so surely with a one year headstart he had to believe he could beat out Frankamp.

Either way, KU basketball will be fine next year. Here's hoping that the coaching staff can snag a big and a Wiggins this spring. There are usually some high quality decommits after the season ends and the coaches start moving around. We've landed several players that way in the past.

dylans 7 years ago

Funny you should mention Hawkins, my wife ran into him at the Sprint Center said he was a class act. It's always nice to see the players live up to your off court expectations of them.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

As much as I would like to see Wiggins at KU, we really need to add another quality point guard. Unfortunately, the only way that will happen would be a transfer or a JUCO player.

TheBoHawk 7 years ago

This along with sending EJ off is the NBA equivalent of a wildly successful off season. GOOOD RIDDANCE!...Rio is just not Kansas material. Wish you all the best in your streetball circuit career, bro.

Jack Jones 7 years ago

Bo-Bo-Bo ~ just can't resist the Elijah Johnson BS cheap shot, can you? Here's a young man who has given his all to the University of Kansas basketball program for four years ~ including virtually willing us to the Championship game last season. A player who was asked by Coach Self to move to a brand new position this season ~ and whom said Coach Self stuck with all season long ~ despite the "expert opinions" of you and your sorry brotherhood. Oh, and don't look for your invitation to the Basketball Banquet ~ it's been 'lost in the mail'. HAVE A NICE D... OH, FORGET THAT TOO.

Jeremy Wilhelm 7 years ago

Regardless of what he thought he was, it's pretty obvious that he thrived as an off-ball 2 guard. The only argument you need is to compare his production in that role last year with this year at the 1. Case closed, in my opinion.

Jack Jones 7 years ago

Relax Dog ~ Only quoting Head Coach Bill Self who seems to have a different view of the situation than your analysis ~ and when it comes down to HC Self's opinion v/s the Dog's ~ you lose. Regardless of what position he was recruited as ~ I would suggest that his playing point guard while Tyshawn was suspended (Let's see - just how many games was that?) ~ or being Tyshawn's backup last year ( how many minutes did he play in that role?) perhaps did not suddenly transform him into an experienced starting point guard on a great Big 12 Championship team.

And regardless of his saying, "he was the leader of the team" and "wanted the keys to the car", I believe his play on the court demonstrated ~ again quoting Coach ~ he struggled with the transition. And, with that being said, I applaud his effort and am grateful for all he gave to our program over his 4 years ~ and wish him much success as he continues his basketball career.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

JayDogger..Going back to 2009, Rivals listed EJ as the 4th best PG in that class and a 5-Star #24 overall.

Scout more or less called him a combo guard while saying "He's an extremely athletically gifted player. Also a tough kid to put a position on. He's cut from the mold of a Mario Chalmers hybrid point guard. Leaps out of the gym and he's good for at least one momentum changing dunk a game. Can also be a strong defender. When it gets crunchtime he turns himself in the primary ballhandler".

So to say it's a brand new position doesn't fit the facts which you correctly pointed out. HCBS has always seemed to prefer combo guards and it has usually worked well though the Michigan game is a glaring exception.

TheBoHawk 7 years ago

Seriously man...who's be a worse PG in the Bill Self era??... I don't care if he didn't make ridiculous play after ridiculous play, you don't hand out nut shots when you play at KU. I've never cussed a player at KU more than EJ... and I've watched Jeff Graves play. You, sir, are defending the undefendable.. he was completely uncoachable.. there is a reason our offense looked like playground ball half the time this season.... Sit down, Jack

TheBoHawk 7 years ago

He is the antithesis to McLemore

bradynsdad 7 years ago

I will hold out a positive note! This means Ben is coming back or Wiggins signs with us!!! I know I'm insane but Rio would have got a lot of minutes next year. Oh well. Glass half full!

jhawkinsf 7 years ago

No reason to badmouth a young man searching for the right fit. Wish him well.

Jace FitzGibbon 7 years ago

good luck rio. did he really think he was going to come in this year and start or be the 6th guy? come on bro. he'd easily be the 7th guy next year, maybe 6th. whatever though. good luck

jhox 7 years ago

If he was to be in the top 6 or 7 next year there is no way he would be transferring. I'm sure Self laid his expectations of playing time out for him prior to offering his release.

I believe Frank Mason is someone Coach Self is really high on. We'll have to see how he turns out. I believe Frankamp can play the point in a pinch as well, but I would sure like to see an elite PG on the roster. Kansas is too big of a program to have to settle on serviceable point guards. The staff fell asleep in recruiting that position.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years ago

Love these guys that transfer. They aren't getting enough playing time so they decide to transfer and sit (!) out another year. Instead of paying their dues and developing into a player on a national championship contending team they'd rather take the easy 10-15 points a night playing for a bottom feeding team.

SaltLakeHawk 7 years ago

Not all transfers are fools.

Tuner Gill got paid $10 million to transfer.

Bee Bee 7 years ago

Yes. TWO million per win I believe. Biggest heist ever.

jayhawkinATL 7 years ago

Who is this??? What have you done with the REAL "ahperse"???

79ictjhawk 7 years ago

1st time I ever gave ahperse a thumbs up.

April13 7 years ago

I had predicted two weeks till his announcement, he was a week faster than than I had even imagined.

Though I wish he had been a better teammate by not tweeting each and every displeasure during the season, he certainly has the right - and the obligation to himself - to change locations if this one isn't working.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him at Oregon or at USC fairly quickly. Best of luck to Rio. I hope that he grows up a little and has a successful career.

Dirk Medema 7 years ago

Maybe he'll go to WSU to form a mighty backcourt with Royce.

Jonathan Allison 7 years ago

wouldn't Rolls Royce be gone before Diamond Rio was eligible?

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

Royce had a good first season at WSU; 32 mpg, 11 ppg, FG% 42.8 and 38% from the 3.

Mike Hamilton 7 years ago

I was excited when he signed after reading about his senior year but he never looked comfortable in the offense. We could have used him in the rotation this year but it just didn't seem to click. Sometimes new scenery is best. Best wishes to Rio.

Elliot Cohen 7 years ago

Peace Rio! Have fun eating fake cereal at Oregon State! I'm not upset about this at all. It gives more time to Frankamp who is too good to sit a ton as freshman.

Suzi Marshall 7 years ago

Rio needed to be a 5 year player to make a contribution. I bet it came down to his desire to play right away instead of taking a Red Shirt his second, sophomore, year. If that is the case, it's a social shame these kids to not see the value of an education.

BainDread 7 years ago

Well unless I missing something, he's going to be sitting out a year now anyway, so I'm not sure that playing right away was his motivation to leave.

Michael Bratisax 7 years ago

Maybe he didn't want to wait 5 years (2 not playing) for a 4 year education.

Jack Wilson 7 years ago

This was the worst kept secret all season.

With our recruiting class, the battle shaped up to be Tharpe vs. Adams for the scholarship. Self made comments about Tharpe and going in another direction in November if Tharpe didn't step up his game. Tharpe responded. Dwayne Wade .. er, Adams responded on Twitter all season. It was pretty easy to see that he was out the door. While I saw a lot to like in Adams' game, this is truly addition by subtraction.

The battle for scholarships (and PT) is ever-present. It was Peters vs. Lucas vs. Traylor .. one guy would have to go. It wasn't the guy we expected.

This is survival of the fittest.

Self said early in the season that he expected up to 8 scholarships to be available. Many were like .. really? Assuming McLemore goes pro, that is the number (4 seniors, McLemore, Wesley (Doyle), Peters, Adams). Wow. Three scholarships to fill and not a highly talented player to be found.

What is interesting is that we really don't need anyone else. We have a dead solid group of 10 players (with post questions the biggest concern). I would have no problem with Self giving one back to Wesley, and other walk-ons, and using the scholarships in 2014. Don't waste one on a Milton Doyle, or a low or unranked guy that won't ever play.

If we can snag a high quality transfer, do it.

But we are fine standing pat.

Woody Cragg 7 years ago

Swish! Good post HEM. Sometimes we may disagree, but that is spot on. Wonder how long it will be before the guy that said we were character assassins lays on some touchy feely schmear about how nobody really understands? And you're dead right about needing a big or quality transfer.

kansasredlegs 7 years ago

I don't disagree with most of your comments, but the comments certainly show what's wrong in college athletics. Just read were FGCU coach goes from $147K per year to over $1M large but the kids are on 1-year renewable scholarships. The kid just isn't a fit, he's gotta go, thus creating space for the coach & university to get the next 1-n-done and the hope for a Final Four.

I hope one day there are some social activits among the 2 final teams and 30 minutes before tipoff tell the NCAA & CBS, "We've been talking and we've decided we aren't going to play tonight as something doesn't seem quite right with CBS paying over $1B for rights and coaches making over 7 figures and we get "renewable" scholarships. Yep, we're sitting this one out."

Dirk Medema 7 years ago

A full ride is worth a lot more than $75k with pro training, tutors, full R&B, and all the other perks.

I wonder if Archie was one of the "uncoachables".

April13 7 years ago

This is the best idea I have heard in a long, long time.

Everyone gets to go where they want, when they want except the kids. Why is that? Simple....they are the ones with no voice.

As much as I hate the whole OAD phenomenon, who can blame these kids?

Sam Constance 7 years ago

Good lord. This has got to be one of the worst arguments in sports.

Say what you want about the transfer rules in college basketball, but comparing the players--young people who are attending school while perfecting their craft of choice--to coaches, who are no longer "under instruction" and have professional careers is just ridiculous.

Coaches get paid more proportionately to the revenue that college basketball generates because they are professionals. The students, as gifted as they may be, are not. They are there to learn and grow as students/players. If they want to be paid, they are more than welcome to head off to Europe straight out of high school. If they are good enough--Lebron James--many a European team would be happy to take them, since the Euroleague doesn't have any silly age limits for playing.

I've said this again and again, but the primary generator of college athletic revenue wealth is not the players themselves. It is the university team brands. Case in point: five of the biggest names on this year's team are walking out the door at the end of the season, but the attention and dedication paid to (and the money spent on) KU basketball won't flag one bit. We pay to see the Kansas name and jersey, and rabidly support about any player that puts it on. The school generates the brand wealth, and the players get compensated in a way that is likely proportionate to the proportion of the overall wealth they generate by actually wearing the jersey and playing the games.

Dale Kroening 7 years ago

Good post Hem. I agree, save the schollies for 2014. As far as post players, I dont think we are in bad shape, just young and inexperienced. Dont sleep on Embiid, and I think Lucas is going to surprise some people.

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

Disagree...back court's in a much worse position w/ no Adams now. I'm NOT a Frankamp freshman yr. believer either if that isn't obvious. The one this CURRENTLY benefits the mist is F. Mason. We're really lacking a backup SG now!

Suzi Marshall 7 years ago

Completely agree we are set for next year and should only take advantages of "elite opportunities" that may develop. Love the idea of giving a scolarhip to Wesley and/or one of the walk-ons.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years ago

Case in point. How much did we need guard play this year? However the bright lights and big city of Pullman where just too much for Royce to say no to.

Jonathan Even 7 years ago

I was thinking the same thing last year and this year. If Royce would have waited and put in the work he could have had serious playing time in a National Championship game last year.

justanotherfan 7 years ago

You make it sound like guys that go to other schools aren't working hard or something. Being a college athlete is basically a full time job. I hate when people say "so and so transferred/ left program X because they weren't willing to put in the time/ work." That's such a naive statement.

Not coming down on you tizzlhawk, because you're not the first person to say that (won't be the last either). It just bugs me because it's not like guys work hard if they are at KU or UNC or Duke, but can coast if they go to Washington State or Arkansas State or New Mexico State. That's just not true. They are on the practice court or in the weight room just as often.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years ago

Ah, no they don't! If they did those schools would be mentioned in the same breath as Kansas' Carolina and Duke.

Jonathan Even 7 years ago

I wasn't making any judgments on Royce's work ethic or Royce as a person. I loved the kid and I wish he was still here. My comment was only intended that if he put in the work (no reason to assume he wouldn't or couldn't), that he could have seen significant playing time these past two years. We could have used an extra ball handler!

But I do think there is a difference in the work ethic between an average basketball state university and an elite program like KU, and I'm not dogging on how hard it must be to be a student athlete either. They may practice the same amount of hours and spend the same amount of time in the weight room, but Self demands higher intensity practices. It's the difference between going 75% or going 99%, day in day out. Everyone still works hard at every level, but I doubt fewer people work harder at the game of basketball than they do at Kansas.

cklarock 7 years ago

Damn good point. I liked Royce from the outset, and would have loved to have watched him in a Final Four this year.

Dirk Medema 7 years ago

It is scary to read this after posting along the same lines above.

REHawk 7 years ago

6'3", 175. Looks as though Royce falls ten pounds shy of some Kansas Hudyization.

Dale Kroening 7 years ago

If it was about playing time, why transfer and sit out a year and NOT PLAY ? I wish Rio luck, but it makes no sense. Maybe he doesnt think he can beat anyone out for minutes that are left or coming in , I dont know. You would think he would have a good shot at cracking the rotation next season, but if he doesnt want to earn it I guess both are better off.

Woody Cragg 7 years ago

He may be eligible at 2nd semester, or Jan 2014 as it would be then. Someone can correct me & no doubt will if I'm mistaken.

Dirk Medema 7 years ago

He was on scholarship and did play a little recently/2nd semester, so he'll have to sit a full year or go JC/D2.

phins13td 7 years ago

We dont need his cancer on the team. With Tharpe, Frankamp, and Mason, he had to see the writing on the wall.

Joe Baker 7 years ago

I'll take Adams' length and shooitng potential. I'd much rather have a 6-3,4 pg than a 5-11 pg. I really want to believe Mason will be a good pg. I see him transferring too if we get a big pg. I also have a really wild thought about Greene. He is good enough to play some pg. Will he play pg under Self's system? It would be a bit of a waste to take a kid with his ball skills and force him into a 4 spot. He needs to be in the 1-3 spots. We are stacked at the 3. Many have Selden at the 2. We are weak at the 1. I really think Greene could play some pg. Self loves long pgs.

Jack Jones 7 years ago

Cancer ~ easy 13 ~ way over the top - a little common decency, please

Jack Wilson 7 years ago

kD/truehawk .. agree completely on both of your comments on Adams.

Personally, I think he would have had a good chance to start next season at the 2, or at least be the first guard off the bench.

bradynsdad 7 years ago

Ben is coming back and were landing Wiggins!! That's why!!! I foresee all!!!!

phins13td 7 years ago

I like the positive vibes dude, but I dont see either happening. I'd say there is ZERO chance of Wiggins landing here. More of a chance of Ben coming back for year two, but very unlikely.

Miguel Colón 7 years ago

So who is out there for us to get if we dont get Wiggins?

jay381 7 years ago

Just a guess but Self (like his mentor Eddie Sutton) has been successful at obtaining transfers or players he recruited and did not get the first time especially in the case of a coaching change (i.e. Withey). UCLA and Minn both might have a top quality recruit or player that might not be happy with the firing of the coach. I would not be at all surprised if Self came up with a high quality player or recruit none of us ever even considered. That is why Self consistently maintains a winning program.

DocBean 7 years ago

Sounds like Tony Parker might end up at Georgia.

Joe Baker 7 years ago

LOL- Parker is lazy. He doesn't like Self's bootcamps. He went to Howland for a reason. Howland was soft and desperate for any recruit to save his job.

Alex Resnik 7 years ago

I read an article the other day that state that he may be unhappy, but the new UCLA coach is really good at developing young post players. This is one player I will be keeping an eye on.

Jim Roth 7 years ago

Maybe another Kevin Young? Diamond in the rough. He was a good find, off the radar.

KansasComet 7 years ago

Well, we know Jaybate won't transfer! Jayhawk for Life!

jaybate 7 years ago

Nor would KansasComet, nor most of our other devoted board rats.

It is the Tao of Crimson and Blue.

Andy Tweedy 7 years ago

Can you imagine the 10 page "thank you letter" that Jaybate would have penned upon transferring?

jaybate 7 years ago

Well, I certainly would have included an extended reference to the ShoeCo-Summer Game-Agency Complex, if that's what you mean!!!!! :-)

Horace Greeley: Go west young man.

jaybate: Go long young man.

Rock Chalk!!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years ago

His senior night speech would last 5 days!!!

hawkdiek 7 years ago

And no one would really hear it because they would be looking up the first twelve words he said in their dictionaries!

jaybate 7 years ago

jayhawkinnc,

Let me put it this way: I certainly have the "old man's game" hard wired. :-)

And I would be only too happy to XTReme Cheap Shot Lite for The Legacy.

And I can still make 75% of my free throws, so I could be in at crunch time.

Yeeeeee hawwwwww! What a nice fantasy for a resident of Shady Acres Home for the Basketball Demented.

An old man in a dry month giving Mitch McGrary something to really flop about.

Rock Chalk!!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years ago

Only one Rio that I want to remember as a Jayhawk.

jpuch 7 years ago

The problem with a lot of 4-star / highly recruited players is they are told how awesome they are all their lives and then they come to KU and sit the first year or two, sometimes three. It would be frustrating but I believe for most players, it pays to stay.

Ryan Martin 7 years ago

I predict we get Rodney Purvis from NC State who announced his transferring.

Travis Osier 7 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, but everything I read says he's headed to UCONN.

Jonathan Even 7 years ago

I didn't want to say anything before 'cause I don't know the guy, but judging Rio by his Twitter comments and sideline antics, he only seemed concerned about himself. If someone made a play he was dancing the hardest off the bench, like he was trying to earn the best cheerleader award. It seemed to me that if Rio wasn't going to see time on the court, he was going to get the spotlight on the bench.

RJ King 7 years ago

Couldn't agree more. Most of his behavior screamed "look at me, look at me."

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

I was going to post the same comment: his sideline antics were for himself, nothing else. He is eccentric and needs/demands his attention.

justanotherfan 7 years ago

I'm sure had he not been cheering hard for his teammates you would have criticized him for not being a team player.

It's tough to ride the bench, wanting to play and still be engaged and supporting your teammates even though you personally are frustrated. Rio didn't let that stop him from getting into cheering for his teammates. I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

justanotherfan 7 years ago

He supported his teammates. To my knowledge, he wasn't skipping practice or not handling his business in the classroom.

He complained yes, but he complained because he wanted to play. If you are a D1 player and you're content to sit on the bench, well, that is more of a problem to me than complaining because you want to play.

So yeah, I think he was a team player.

Jonathan Even 7 years ago

It was just odd to see a player being so negative and broadcasting that negativity to the world, but come game time he is the biggest supporter? And not just the biggest supporter but sometimes a one man show. Then a few days after the season ends the biggest supporter on the bench decides to transfer?

But the support could have been genuine. He could have decided to channel his negative energy into positive support for the team. I don't know, and that's why I never said anything before he decided to transfer. I'm cool with being wrong on this. Either way, I wish Rio all the support and best in the future.

Erin England 7 years ago

I liked his enthusiasm. I thought he had a good spirit even if he wasn't completely happy with his playing time. Big personality.

Jonathan Even 7 years ago

Case in point, one of the first posters said he'll miss him because of bench antics.

Steve Reigle 7 years ago

Always sorry to see a good kid leave but can sure understand his thinking. That doesn't mean I think it's the best way but it might be best for him in the long run to go somewhere where he won't have better players ahead of him keeping him from getting many minutes. Best of luck to Rio Adams.

MinorThreat 7 years ago

Just can't wait one offseason then likely be a key component to a well rounded, dangerous, young team... could have been a true success story for KU in my opinion.

cklarock 7 years ago

@Rio: Find the right fit, and best of luck to you in your college career. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Benjamin Clay Jones 7 years ago

We would have been a hell of a lot better this year starting Naadir at point and bringing along Rio as his backup. Might have been some early-season bumps but by March we would have been hitting on all cylinders. E.J. would have backed up the other two guard positions, and all five guards would have been fresher throughout the game. Problem is, Bill cannot abide early-season bumps.

April13 7 years ago

Yes, with Rio in the lineup, we would have won the Big 12, the Big 12 tourney and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. Oh....wait.....we did all that anyway.

Benjamin Clay Jones 7 years ago

I guess if you're happy with Sweet Sixteen losses, it all worked out great.

Craig Carr 7 years ago

What? He couldn't play against bench players, he thinks he is great but nowhere near starting for KU

vd 7 years ago

His 2 to 1 TO to assist ratio was against tough defensive teams, like Pittsburg State, Washburn, and Mid Tennnessee State. Speakeasy knows he would have reversed that ratio had he played against crapppy defensives like Michigan.

Benjamin Clay Jones 7 years ago

Yeah, remind me again what Elijah's turnover-to-assist ratio was against Michigan? If ONLY it would have been 2-to-1!

Jeremy Hays 7 years ago

Whoa!!! Speakeasy, so now you are saying that because Bill Self doesn't like to lose (and neither does anyone on here), that's why Rio is transferring? Wouldn't you want your BEST players on the floor? Wouldn't you want the players you trust on the floor? Wouldn't you want players who have been there before? I understand the frustration however since coach Self, over the last 10 years, AVERAGED 30 wins a season, I'll let him answer all PT question!!!!

Stephan123 7 years ago

Good Luck, Rio. I was always shocked by how fumble bumble he was when on the court. Probably just too excited when presented with playing time. A little more seasoning and he will be a competent teammate somewhere.

Adam Tyler 7 years ago

I wish I could ask...

David Padgett, Omar Wilkes, Micah Downs, CJ Giles, Quintrell Thomas, JR Giddens, Royce Wooldridge, Tyrone Appleton, and Alex Galindo if they regret transferring?

But you gotta do, what you gotta do...

Thanks for the year Rio, best of luck!

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

At least for Downs & Galindo it was because they were homesick. Giddens was kicked out the door because of the off the court stuff.

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

CJ Giles was also escorted to the bus stop, so to speak!!

Giddens did end up being a number one draft pick who then disappeared faster than Jimmy Hoffa!!

Eric Dawson 7 years ago

Re: Giddens -- Danny Ainge could always be counted on to be a mystery to me -- and all of New England -- for some of his actions with the Celtics.

Ted Hume 7 years ago

It took like 90 posts before someone stated the obvious: This was about a strong personality clash. Everyone who's watched Adams play- HS tape- practice-scrimmaging, knows he was capable of being our starting SG next year, but he had a bad attitude, pissed off Self with his comments and probably really got into with coach on more than one occasion this year, and that's that. Self was not going to put up with Adams, and likewise. This has nothing to do with Adams lacking the ability or game to be an impact contributor next year, it just wasn't going to happen for other reasons.

KUBLUEBLOOD22 7 years ago

If they're not freshmen they would have to sit out a year..When he say's "immediate Impact" I would assume he means available to make an impact next year..

Tim Orel 7 years ago

I took that to also include JC transfers, who would also be immediately eligible. Someone else suggested a transfer from Division II, but I see that as less likely, though there might be someone at that level who would be ready to step up, even if just to help the Jayhawks practice against.

Craig Carr 7 years ago

Better clarify what average means, if it is basically Misery or less then you are crazy. No way KU misses the big dance with Self guiding the team. Being in the NCAA tournament by default is above average

RJ King 7 years ago

I noticed the exact same thing about Rio on the bench. He was constantly jabbering in someone's ear while being pretty much ignored. In next year's group, I see the following:

Tharpe - emerging leader, maturity, calm, confidence

Wesley - unassuming role player

Perry - quiet, scholar, does all his talking on the court

Jamari - modest, humble, work ethic

Lucas - patient, polite, calm, potentially strong

White - calm, quiet, loyal, mature

I wouldn't choose any of these words to describe Rio. To me, he seems like a misfit in this group. Yes, we will desperately need a "voice" on this team next year to replace the Withey stank face, the Travis on fire face, and the Kevin super grin. Rio the War Lord? Probably not.

KUBLUEBLOOD22 7 years ago

Just like we landed Tyshawn, Morris twins, selby, ect. Players who are unsigned decommit when late coaching changes occur and reopen their recruitment. Self has proven in the past he can pick up quality players late in the game due to decommitments.

Todd Simpson 7 years ago

next year we will have better ball movement and less turnovers

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

I've been dreaming of the team that can end the year with 10 or less turnovers per game. I can't stand the sloppy play.

Dan Cook 7 years ago

This is best for all concerned. I'm not going into details, but AO has serious demons that turn people off big time. The "act" grows old and respect for people, in general, is something the young man has yet to grasp. You can't continue to make major mistake after major mistake in terms of being a good person and continue to a member of this program. This end result is not surprising at all.

KULA 7 years ago

Sorry to see Rio go--he was the best dancer on the team. And he had mad athleticism. But he obviously wasn't Bill's type of player. In the end-of-year meeting, Bill probably told him to redshirt with no guarantee of playing time when he came back, basically telling him that he didn't want him around anymore.

And on another note, Bill once again refuses to watch the tape of the last game. I can't get over this hard headedness. Maybe he's afraid of seeing himself when the shot clock hit 26 and he should have been calling a timeout.

Joe Baker 7 years ago

Then why did Self recruit him? Self should've cut ties when Rio had the ACT issue or troubles. Self recruited Rio for a reason.

Marcia Parsons 7 years ago

I understood they haven't had end of year meetings yet. Not until after the tournament when Bill has a little time.

Matt Kenton 7 years ago

FINALLY! Someone mentions that Self "very rarely" watches the last game! No question Self has seen success in the tourney, but overall he does have a record of losing earlier than expected/seeded. Maybe he could learn something by watching film!

Jack Jones 7 years ago

Seriously ~ you all are bit----g about Coach not watching the game film. Get a life. I'm hoping Self is getting as big a chuckle over this monumental issue as I am.

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

So now we NEED a backup SG for sure! Anyone from Minnesota, USC, UCLA, or New Mexico fit that where they'd be allowed an immediate transfer?

Casey Gee 7 years ago

Well, no one saw THIS coming. Honestly, why transfer and wait a year when there is nothing but open court in front of you? You could have been great Rio.

hotrodm 7 years ago

Coach Self SHOULD watch the tape of the last game. He could learn from his mistakes, especially the mistake of not calling time out when EJ was bringing the ball up and got caught behind the 10 second line. Also not fouling after EJ's missed free throw, and KU was up by three at the end of the game. Coach should also watch the cheap shot EJ gave McGary, bad Karma.

nuleafjhawk 7 years ago

Don't care about Adams, today will be the last time I ever think of him.

What REALLY bothers me about this article is the fact that Self said he doesn't watch tape of the last games.

You might learn a thing or two so as NOT to repeat your mistakes Coach.

Please watch them. Over and over and over.

vd 7 years ago

Your right. Sit in the office and watch that film over and over. Don't go out and recuit, or meet alumni. Your program will improve if you spend more time watching that game.

nuleafjhawk 7 years ago

or pretend it never happened and just let it keep happening again and again.

UncleMarty 7 years ago

And trust me when I say Rio doesn't give to flying Frisbees about you either.

April13 7 years ago

In terms of adding someone late....what about an international player? I'm not sure what the guidelines/limitations are, so I don't know if this is an option. But I'm guessing that there is a guy in Brazil, Spain or Russia who would like to play here and who could be an impact guy.

Paul Wilson 7 years ago

Watch film? Of players that for the most part will be gone.

We're all able to point to what we think are mistakes made by all in the game(s). We didn't have to watch the game over and over to come to our conclusions did we? I guarantee you HCBS knows exactly what, if anything, he would have done differently. Anyone that says otherwise simply has never coached at a competitive level.

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

I also think that there is a possibility that Coach Self has the ability to replay the entire game in his mind. He is a genius, no question about. Some people have gifts like this....But that being said, it would only take an hour and I can't see that it would hurt anything to take a look at the game.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years ago

Do we have to worry about facing Michigan on a regular basis or even next year? If so, will they have the same players? Will we have the same players? Will we face them in a time slot as we did in the S16? Will all of the future practices be focused on specific areas of concern given next year's team and not what went wrong in the KU/Mich. game this season? This is not like studying performance in other endeavors to learn from your mistakes. It is over and done with, and a coach with Self's abilities knows where he fell short without the aid of reviewing every minute of footage of that loss.

KansasComet 7 years ago

Best wishes Rio Adams. I don't have anything bad to say about Rio Adams. I like the fact that he did not want to sit bench. What real competitor does? I think once he puts it all together, he will be an exceptional basketball player. This year's tourney has shown that some Freshmen, when given the opportunity can be successful.

wrwlumpy 7 years ago

3 Freshmen that started the year in France are no longer with the team. Of the 3, the only one that I wish were still here has had 4 concussions and signed with the Jayhawks when he was a Sophmore in High School.

Mel Clare 7 years ago

Not surprised. He was going to battle the class coming in anyway. best wishes to him elsewhere. Self says he is looking for one or two more recruits. Who is ledt besides Wiggins? Is he looking at a big that may be a project to redshirt and help the following year? Or what about JUCO players? he has had some success with them. What about OTHER school transfers? How we got Withey. There should be a couple of guys out there who can help this team next year evolve into a a solid team. We need another of those 6'8-6'9 guys who are big and solid to help the middle.

REHawk 7 years ago

Regarding what he is looking for on the recruiting trail, Self says, "Immediate impact. We could probably sign a couple more." I'd say that he is sounding the clarion bell for national if not worldwide attention to KU's immediate needs. Some experienced player from the j.c. ranks, Div. II, or a ready-to-play transfer such as last season's Oriaki will make contact with the Kansas recruiting staff. Perhaps an international talent. I won't be at all surprised to see Rio's schollie go to a player who is experienced, mature, and ready to assume significant dependable minutes.

Ted Hume 7 years ago

I think chances are good we do land a talented, game-ready transfer from one of the schools mentioned that just turned over coaches, who won't have to sit a year, plus possibly one solid juco body (not as likely). Otherwise, I think Selden might have a similar potential to impact right away in the mold of Marcus Smart (although here he won't get nearly the amount of PT), and that Greene looks awfully mature, physically, and may be able to plug into the rotation on the wing. It's going to be interesting to see how it unfolds for sure...

RJ King 7 years ago

Sorry if I missed this, or if a stupid question, but confirm that if a D-1 player transfers because of a coaching change, they are not required to sit out a year?

Jonathan Allison 7 years ago

false. They are still subject to transfer rules.

A recruit can ask to be released from his LOI after a coaching change, and will generally be granted with no punishment, but if a student athlete is enrolled and on scholarship then he is subject to transfer rules, hence Jeff Withey, who never even played for Arizona and transferred at semester, was still required to sit our a year due to transfer rules after the retirement of Lute Olson and hiring on Kevin O'Neal.

Jake Waddle 7 years ago

Good luck in Ames as a cyclown ... make sure you eat at hickory park.

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

If he transfers to a BIg 12 School he would have to sit out 2 years. Not gonna happen.

Andy Godwin 7 years ago

KU will be even younger. Sorry to see Rio go. He had a year of KU basketball under his belt (and he played as much as Tharpe in his Freshman season) and now the prospects at point guard are Tharpe, Manning, Self and a Freshman. Not very impressive at a key position, which as everyone witnessed cost KU a chance for a national championship this season. I don't care how talented the newcomers are, they lack experience and few true freshman have made impact at pg at KU under Self. No matter what people think about Rio and his attitude, losing another point guard to transfer, when Self failed to adequately recruit and retain talent at that position, will be problematic next season. On an aside, I do hope for some reason Peters is healthy and motivated and can return to KU.

Dale Kroening 7 years ago

We have Tharpe and 2 pgs coming in (Frankamp and Mason). Self is not a pg, and he nor Manning are going to play ahead of the 2 freshman. Seldon can also play the point if needed, but I see him starting at the 2 or 3 most likely.

KemDooKU 7 years ago

Bye Rio - cant say I will miss you much because I really never saw you much on the court - Oh well that must be why you are transferring. Nothing but love and wish you well - after all it's your life and your decision and I don't pay your bills so I really have no business being in your business- enjoy!!

Also forget about Wiggins because UK is the destination not the reverse KU These guys don't want to be coached much and don't care much about learning defense and Coach Cal said getting his players to the NBA was the most important thing to him so that being said Why would you not play for Kentucky and Coach Cal if you were a sure fire NBA player - hell I am one of the biggest KU fans around - I kicked a hole in my couch when Burke hit that three on us - ( wife was pissed and now I have to spend a grand on a new leather couch) but if I was a One and Done player I would seriously consider Kentucky - unless they let these kids go directly from High School then Coach Cal will keep getting these kids and Self and the rest will just have to wait in line-

Ben Simonett 7 years ago

Milton Doyle, Rio Adams....next up Frank Mason.

Its not a coincidence that the lowest ranked recruits are the ones that cant get PT and end up transferring.

Kudos to Landen Lucas for taking the red shirt and sticking it out, he's not likely to see alot of action until maybe his senior campaign.

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

It would be nice if just #one of them turned out like Trey Burke. He was ranked 143 in his class.

Ted Hume 7 years ago

likewise where was Pierre Jackson ranked? Some real stud scoring point guards can develop from outside the top 50 or 100 HS rankings...

texashawk10 7 years ago

Pierre Jackson was a JuCo kid, not sure where he was in his original recruiting class.

Joe Baker 7 years ago

Lucas will not see action until his senior season? What? You better rethink that thought benny. He will be huge inside and our biggest threat.

Ben Simonett 7 years ago

that would make sense if the players I question ever actually out perform my expectations. but seeing as how i'm 3 for 3(doyle,adams, lindesy) predicting the recruits that will make no impact on the program, it seems to me im mearly stating the obvious.

you might be able to get me on tharpe, i did question his abilities at first too. but not nearly to the level I critiqued those 3

Ben Simonett 7 years ago

ahh, hard to judge context in the written word. no harsh feelings :)

monkeehawkSL8 7 years ago

Hey bennybob, please be careful about deciding ahead of time how little or how much/ how poorly how well new recruits are going to play. If you haven't seen Frank Mason handle the rock, please take a look. I would rather look upon their arrival with eager anticipation than that " this kid may get a little playing time in his senior year" attitude. We have had our lunch eaten playing against dozen's of players that were not highly recruited or flew under the radar. Being coachable, in the right program can produce solid performances from young men that don't require constant reassurance of their importance. These type of players thrive on being "a part of"the team. A guy named Kevin Young comes to mind.

Dyrk Dugan 7 years ago

a decent kid, but when you're known more for your sideline antics than your play, then the handwriting is on the wall. with all of the qualifying issues he had, he shouldn't have been recruited in the first place.

we can do better than these types of kids.....a lot of flash, but very little substance. when he came into the game, he was an instant turnover. i wish him well, but he took up a schollie that could have been served much better.

jayhawkinATL 7 years ago

Some kids just have unrealistic expectations and no concept of reality. His play spoke for itself. It's not rocket science!

REHawk 7 years ago

Dang, man, you need to get one of those big rubber air-filled dolls to sit in front of your nice couch. Maybe a caricature of Scott Drew or Dick Vitale. Kick the hell out of that thing next time the Jayhawks send you into a rage.

REHawk 7 years ago

Oops! Intended this post for KemDooKu.

NorthTexJayhawks 7 years ago

Sorry to see Rio go. He could be really good. Nearly every school is still seeking Immediate impact players. Unfortunately, Wiggins is the only remaining high schooler that fits that bill. Potential impact transfers: Zach Peters returns Tony Parker (possibly released from UCLA because of coaching change) Angelo Chol (Arizona is loaded at the 4 and 5 and we heavily recruited him two years ago) Michael Dixon, Jr. (if he graduates, he can go anywhere. There is the rape allegations, but if he is cleared, wouldn't it be cool to see him in the backcourt with Tharpe next year?) Marshawn Powell (Arkansas PF who will graduate, but is considering entering the draft. He has no tie to KU that I'm aware of, but he'd be nice to have)

Unfortunately, KU will probably have to settle on another Merv Lindsay, Tyrone Appleton or Mitlon Doyle. Next season, because of the Self-imposed rule that unless you are a top-10 recruit or are needed out of necessity, you must sit the bench and wait your turn, and because Self is so hard on young PGs, I have a hard time seeing Frankamp, Greene, Mason, or Embiid taking a different path than what Adams, White, Johnson, Releford, and Robinson had to. Barring a McLemore return and a last minute player, the 7-man rotation points to Tharpe, Selden, White, Ellis and Traylor with Wesley or Lucas and Frankamp or Greene coming off the bench.

jayhawkinATL 7 years ago

No need to go after Parker again. Revealed himself to be VERY lazy! Much like good ol' J'mison (Bo Bo) Morgan turned out to be.

KemDooKU 7 years ago

If Bill self wants more One and Done players then he needs to change his strategy and let these One and Done players come in and not go to class and not play defense and basically let them take any shot on the court they want - kind of like Kentucky played this year and look where that got them ....NIT and embarrassed by going down as a one seed to an eight seed in round one - what KU fan wants that - I say thanks Bill for a great season and I don't mind you not getting Wiggins one bit - you are the smartest man in the room and besides a Fluck melt down with five minutes to go in the sweat 16 which was hardley your fault we would have had a chance to compete with Florida in our third consecutive Elite 8 game-

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

Looking at some statistics yesterday, I noticed that Cal let Anthony Davis chuck up threes, although he shot 15%.

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

Fire Bill Self.

Sincerely,

SoobawlsInNEbraska

Jack Wilson 7 years ago

Not too many I bet would get that .. but very funny.

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

actually tried to create an alias "SoobawlsInNEbraska" but LJ world shut that down! I was gonna have some fun :)

Jonathan Allison 7 years ago

I forgot about Soobawls.

Why did you have to remind me?

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Soobawls is now 'The Highway Man"!!!

REHawk 7 years ago

...came riding, riding, riding!

nuleafjhawk 7 years ago

I need to apologize to Coach Self for criticizing the fact that he doesn't watch tape of last games. (I'm sure he's reading this).

After reflecting for a couple of hours this morning, I remembered that I, too used to be a high level coach and I too, never watched any tape/film.

It was 20 years ago today, Sgt Pepper taught the band to play - - - wait- - - I was coaching my daughter's 10 and under Elite softball team in the Princess Ponytail League and we steamrolled the other little wussy girls in our league and had advanced to the World Championship Game in Daytona. Or Barcelona. Or Arizona. Somewhere that ended in "ONA ".

Long story short - it was a back and forth battle, worthy of Princess Ponytail expectations. We had taken an early lead, given it up and then stormed back to within one run. We're at bat - bottom of the 9th, bases loaded and I had a real dilemma on my hands; do I go with the next batter on deck, a 10 year old (that's a Senior in the PPL) who just happened to be blind. And deaf. And only had one arm. OR - do I make a substitution for the Amazon Princess 8 year old who is 6'2", 205 lbs and can hit the ball 500' while simultaneously texting her best friend? The same Amazon Princess who, in this tournament had batted 98/98 with 97 home runs. (The one lone at bat that was not a home run was a line shot back to the pitcher. It bored a hole clean through her forehead, bounced one time and went over the fence for a ground rule double)

Naturally I went with the Senior, that's the responsible thing to do. She struck out looking. So to speak.

That's the way I remember it all going down anyway. I'll check the tape.

KULA 7 years ago

Struck out looking. Thats what the KU coaching staff did in the last 3 minutes of the game.

nuleafjhawk 7 years ago

KULA, a teensy bit of that above story may not be true ( ! ) but I actually did coach my daughter's softball team for 9 years. I also coached my son's baseball team for a few years and NOTHING in the world (at the time) ticked me off more than when he, or any other player for that matter, would strike out looking. You strike out swinging - I have NO problem with that at all - at least you were trying.

Strike out looking was the distinct feeling I had during that last game.

REHawk 7 years ago

I am striving to look ahead; but am still drawn back to Elijah's bizarre play vs. Michigan. Here's my final thought regarding the situation. What if he is still undergoing extreme discomfort from that summer knee surgery, loads up on pain pills in order to perform his very best vs. one of the nation's best point guards. Perhaps mixes that with a high energy sports drink? I mention this because of a personal incident which I recently experienced. Had taken a hydrocodone pill to relieve back pain before attending a country and western dance. Committed the error of topping off the pain pill with two bottles of beer. The wife reports that my behavior was extraordinarily bizarre! Just a thought....

AirCapJay 7 years ago

Does your wife make $3.5 million per year?

Self is a professional. His staff is professional. To allow a 14 point lead late in the game to get away due to bizarre play from one of his players is unconscionable. Self should have made the adjustments neccessary to preserve the win. He didn't. He was the jet pilot and let it crash on short final because he did not see the aircraft drifting below glide slope. He was captain of the ship and let it drift into rocks too close to shore. He was the bus driver that was texting and crashed into the rear of the stopped semi. Self did not perceive the drastic change. Self needs to watch the tape.

monkeehawkSL8 7 years ago

Rehawk, great point. I have had multiple experience's with mixing what I thought were the best intentions with chemical cocktail's. I am ashamed to say that I have done things that make EJ's play look normal. His action's during the game were beyond bizarre. As much as I want to know what happened I don't want it to bring further embarrassment to the program. Here's to the incoming class and our returning players success. 2013-2014 Jayhawks take care of each other. RCJH

Robert Brock 7 years ago

Rio was an outstanding on-the-ball defender who needed time to work on shooting, ball-handling, passing, and basic decision-making. I hoped that he would stick around and work on those facets (while providing good-quality practice effort) but it is understandable that he wanted to play more minutes and soon. With the addition of Selden, Frankamp, and Mason it was apparent that minutes were going to be tough to get.

Good luck to this young man. There are going to be opportunities out there!

KUlancer 7 years ago

What about trying to land a guy like this?

Sounds like Josh Davis would be a serviceable one-year guy and provide front court depth. Who knows, he could be a "high-impact" guy based on the numbers he had this season.

Joe Baker 7 years ago

It takes a player at least 1-2 years to learn Self's system. It's not going to happen. His system is too complex for an OAD or 1 yr player.

Jack Wilson 7 years ago

See, I would say that his system is not too complex for OADs, freshmen, first year players, whatever. The offense isn't "complex". Defensive responsibilities are intense, but not complex.

But I think that Self's tolerance or comfort level with mistakes is such that he would rather have a more experienced option. I think he prefers experience over the development of a player that may end up being a better option. He clearly favors experience.

Good example is EJ. One could argue that Brady Morningstar was a better option than EJ in 2011. But EJ clearly had more upside. Self chose Brady. We lost to VCU. Do we lose to VCU with EJ playing in Brady's spot the whole year? Who can say for sure. But the case for EJ was proven definitively in our run to the championship game in 2012. EJ brought game changing skills and production, and athleticism. Brady didn't do that. Brady brought comfort and experience. I believe that ultimately cost us vs. VCU. Of course, do we actually play VCU in that situation if EJ played over Brady, who knows?

But the point is that Self's tolerance level for freshmen is the issue, or the bias in favor of experience, not the complexity of his system

gchawk 7 years ago

Prior to this announcement I was wondering how the number of transfers we've experienced over the past 10 years compares to other high profile basketball schools, this article has now peaked my interest. Best of luck Rio, hope everything turns out well for you.

DanR 7 years ago

Roughly 10% transfer nationally in D1 basketball over the past 10 years, figured by total number of annual transfers out of the total number of scholarship players.

Janet Olin 7 years ago

I hope he finds a place where he 'fits', can learn a work ethic and grow up. Sitting out another year probably isn't the smartest move either. Not KU worthy. Since you're unhappy here, Rio, be gone already.

Waylon Cook 7 years ago

I truly love Coach Self. But he needs to watch the last game..................

GT, Bucknell, Bradley, UCLA, MSU, UNI, VCU, and Michigan were all games we truly had a shot at. He might learn something....

Yolanda Gay 7 years ago

If Tyshawn Taylor's Twitter antics didn't get him off the team, I doubt if Rio's did. I think he just wants to play. I wish him good luck. I wish he would have stayed and worked on his game. Which game was it where he came in and scored 11 points in mop-up time?? He had potential.

I wonder if the last straw was that he wasn't allowed/able to participate in the Harlem Shake video with the rest of his teammates - something about school work. I can't imagine if he was the only one with school/class conflict. ;)

Anyway, best of luck Anrio.

Robert Brock 7 years ago

I agree. Self wants to win; if a freshman can help, then he plays. If the freshman makes a lot of mistakes that hurts our team - he sits.

Joe Baker 7 years ago

BMac was the exception. He had the benefit of learning the system. Selby was a bust from a player standpoint. X put Self in a vary vicarious situation to play a freshman phenom who chose his program after leaving Memphis. I really don't think Self's system is designed for a 1 yr guy or OAD. He makes it clear that you have to wait at least a year to play in his system. He will play freshmen a ton because he has no choice. Embiid will not start because of his size compared to Lucas. Lucas knows the system too. I do think Selden will start and Greene will see some pg too. I expect Frankamp to play some shared mins at the 1-2, then depending on his progress, he may be asked to redshirt. I'd like to discuss the incoming class because it poses a real challenge for Self. Ellis is solid at the 4 and possibly share some with Traylor, maybe a few with Greene. I see Greene playing 1-3 for sure. I am impressed with Greene's IQ. He reminds me of Kalif Wyatt. I might even see Embiid redshirt with Frankamp. I know that's not what the lovers of these players want, but it might do them some good developmentally. But we are weak at the 5, so Embiid will get OJT with Self and Lucas. I think Traylor and Ellis have the 4. It's really 1-3 where we are a little fuzzy.

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

Greene's not going to play the "1"! "2" OR "3", yeah he can handle that, but he's not running any point!!!

Jack Wilson 7 years ago

kd .. as truehawk93 said, he will play freshmen when he has to. I would add to that .. he will play freshmen who have overwhelming talent.

If he has a choice, it is clear that he won't let a player "develop" through mistakes on the court when there are other options. He'll take the comfort and security of experience.

flyingfinn 7 years ago

Coach Self is a tough but fair task master, but I believe that Rio would have been better off to stay IF he wanted to work for a starting job or more playing time. Nothing is guaranteed in life you have to work for it, but if you believe your fortunes are better off some place else, good luck Rio you will be missing a lot of fun next year with the talent we have coming in.

Michael Luby 7 years ago

Wont miss Anrio Adams one bit. If the kid doesn't want to stay and get better as a person and a player then KU clearly doesn't need him. Anrio, don't let the door hit you on the behind when you go out like an immature child.

Steve Gantz 7 years ago

How mature and adultlike were you when you were 19 or 20 years old?

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON.

1] The LimeAide and Beef Nachos at Allen Fieldhouse.

2] A new home for "The Rules."

3] More freshmen and sophomores playing for Bill Self than anytime in the last ten years.

4] The answer to the question, " Who will be the designated lead locker room dancer next season [spoiler alert - it won't be Perry].

5] All Nickname team: Jo Jo, The Designer, AW3, Mean Greene, Conner the Bomber, Semi, Seldom, The Frankenator, CoolLL and WARP.

6] Posters Jaybate, HEM, Ralster, BigManU, bennybob, konkeyDong, REHawk. nuleafjhawk, KansasComet, PVJayhawk, LAJayhawk, drgnslayr, KULA and even ahpersecoaching experience. [apologies to any regular that I have forgotten].

7] The inevitable return of every lame-a$$ Kentucky troll who were totally significant by their absence this year!!

8] Conference Title #10, NCAA invite # 25, Top Ten Rating and, what the heck, another 30 victories.

9] Every best wish and hope that all of us will be around to see it.

Steve Gantz 7 years ago

You forgot me, but I accept your apology :)

I like the Commodore for Perry, as in Commodore Perry of War of 1812 fame.

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

I think it had snow on it!..as in some Pole??!! :)

Steve Gantz 7 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Hazard_Perry There were several and this one is the one I've always heard about.

Keith Kienzle 7 years ago

There's no way Perry isn't Agent P.

GortHawker 7 years ago

Obviously he didn't see any playing time here next year either, he'll probably end up playing for Dana Altman

Joe Baker 7 years ago

I understand Rio's decision. I think it was impulsive and Self was both reluctant and eager to grant the transfer. We will miss his Self-experience at the PG. I really didn't see Mason playing much at all. I know Rio would've had a breakout soph season. He was set right behind Tharpe to be "the man" his junior and definitely his senior season. We all saw it and most of us know how Self's pg system works.

Rio, you made a big mistake and if you read these wild posts, you really did have a shot behind Tharpe playing some big mins at the pg. Good luck and hope you get exactly what you want. I don't think you will find it, but it could be out there and some desperate coach needing a fair player from a great program will want your talents.

O' Rio we hardly knew ye

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

I'd say Conner, but in only small doses.

Naadir's to run with FAR MORE than it was EJ's this year.

Probably "the most nailed down" starter for next season.

Perry would be the next most nailed down.

Selden probably 3rd most.

Then a battle between White III, Greene, Traylor, Lucas & Embiid for the other two starting spots.

My guess right now would be Greene & Lucas.

Ron Franklin 7 years ago

Racist never crossed my mind until you brought it up. "sometimes we read poetry, and sometimes poetry reads us"

Jack Jones 7 years ago

Perhaps it should have crossed your mind. "Sometimes we read ~ sometimes we don't see."

Ryan Zimmerman 7 years ago

So, what "immediate impact" players are available? I'm not banking on Wiggins by any means... who else are they looking at?

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

Hopefully, Desmond Lee (5th highest scoring Juco player, averaged 21.9/gm.) - I know he's drawing Major Div. I attention from the likes of Baylor & Illinois to name but a few.

jay_cheese 7 years ago

Good luck to Rio. He shot himself in the foot using social media many times in his brief time here (I know what I'll remember about him at KU and it's not his play). I'm 99% certain he was warned against doing exactly these things but he didn't care. I prefer that our players draw attention b/c of the play on the court, not b/c of showing us how dumb they are on twitter. Lots of programs need talented kids so he'll land somewhere. 15 yrs ago I don't think a kid like would've transferred but he dug his own hole on this one. Again, best of luck. A likley relief for Self & Co for not having to deal with this continued PR nightmere...

Micky Baker 7 years ago

If he doesn't want to be at Kansas, and if he thinks he's going to be happier, oh well. My view is that it's his loss. We have a solid class coming in next year and Ellis/Traylor/White/Tharpe returning on top of that. We saw what Tharpe can do, a few times double digits in assists and Ellis came on strong late. Traylor also showed some big time athleticism in his limited PT. Then put that on top of the class we have coming and Bill Self's coaching ability (the best in the country in developing players).

In the end, Rio Adams will be the one losing but its his choice. Best of luck.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years ago

Little bit of advice for Rio...DON'T TRANSFER TO RUTGERS!!!

tis4tim 7 years ago

Why not? Everyone here seems to think he could use a good kick in the a*$.

master16 7 years ago

good luck to Anrio. i don't understand some of you. other players like Royce Woolridge and Nick Bahe all transferred yet most of you were happy for them and wished them the best. Rio transfers and half (or more than half) of you are angry and say 'don't let the door hit you on the way out'. seems like you guys are more hurt and bitter about him leaving because he has more potential than the other two guys. seems unfair

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years ago

We're just smart enough to know that potential could be realized at KU instead of wasted at Portland State.

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

The unwritten XXIX Amendment to The Bill of Rights of the Constitution of the United States:

The right of citizens of the United States to make poor decisions and suffer the possible consequences of those decisions. {I have exercised this right more times than I wish to admit to].

I had hoped 'Rio would stay, but I wish him only the best in finding the path to where he wants to be.

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

OOPPSS!!....I skipped Amendment XXVIII which is the right to eat tacos in a moving vehicle.

Dirk Andrews 7 years ago

Peace out Rio! The last thing this program needs is for someone's lack of mental toughness to cause us to lose games we should win (deja vu?). Which was all this kid was heading for. Coach would put him in the game, and he's jacking up shots left and right. If he wasn't a basket case of jealousy and self pity all year, he might've been called upon to help us out while our supposed point guards failed to bring the ball up the court. Instead, he came into games, jacked up shots, never cared about running an offense, and rode the pine. Peace!

Just a thought, but maybe Self needs to watch the tape from the game. I think it could benefit us A LOT. Just accept it, we lost, and part of it was your fault. Learn from it, instead of acting like you are too good to acknowledge it.

Steve Gantz 7 years ago

We don't too well with recruits having to do with the state of Washington. Rio, Downs, and Woolridge. All from there or went there in Royce's case.

Wonder if anyone knows, I can't think of any examples besides Gidden's cup of coffee in the NBA, who has left KU and become an NBA player?

And then a second question, who has transferred here and went to the league? Withey will most likely be one, but who else? I think Rex Walters fits that definition. Anyone else?

Paul Meyer 7 years ago

In response to your second question: Darrin Hancock?

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Is Kevin Young a possibility?

No on Gooden...came in as a frosh with Heinrich and Collison.

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

Whoops, my bad. Don't know why I had that in my memory banks.

REHawk 7 years ago

I think that Micah Downs was drafted out of Gonzaga, but not certain. No idea if he stuck.

KemDooKU 7 years ago

I miss him already - there is not enough tissue in the world to wipe away the tears!!! Bill to Rio ........ Baby come back .....baby come back... to me .....I was wrong and I just can't live without you...... Baby come back ......baby come back ....to me .... I was wrong and I should have played you more

I'm hear all week! Up next a song for Wiggins.

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

Where is HEAR so I won't go THEIR!! :)

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

How 'bout Desmond Lee of New Mexico Community College (5th leading scorer in the juco ranks @ 21.9/gm.) & drawing Div. I majors interest from the likes of Illinois & Baylor. Who knows...might even earn a starting position over Greene or White III - Selden really more of a bit shorter SF anyway.

Old article so I hope he hadn't already committed and I wasn't aware of it.

See also, N.C. State involved:

Ironically, 6'-3, 180....almost the same body type as Adams but 5 lbs heavier.

justinryman 7 years ago

Once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk.

Jayhawk for life.

Good luck in your future endeavors Rio.

AZHawk72 7 years ago

Like many of you, I'd rather not pick-up a borderline player from 2013 and save the schoolie for the 2014 group. However, we were thin at the power forward and center positions this year, and only one injury could have put us in a world of hurt. I don't want to tempt fate for a second consecutive year as I don't like the odds. I think we need one more even if it's a rental for a year.

As far as finding an additional point guard at this late date--give it up! Anyone who has been watching the NFL free agency feeding frenzy on their quarterbacks, no matter how miserable they were, knows court or field generals are, perhaps, a little over-valued.

My vote goes to Junior Etou, 6-8 225 lb. power forward, Bishop O'Connell High School, Arlington, Virginia. Okay, Rivals only has him at #142, but he still is highly considering us. The only negative I could find on him is he can't dribble. After Tharpe last year and Adams this year, we're somewhat schooled by rookie-bounce-ball-off-foot learning curve.

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

Ummm, at the McDonald's AA Game, they've already said that it looks like it's coming down to Washington or Xavier for Etou.

phins13td 7 years ago

Etou is a non factor and wont be coming to KU. End of discussion.

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

LESSONS I'VE LEARNED THIS SEASON. [Note, I am not as smart as most of you so please hold your laughter down to a polite titter].

1] It appears that a #1 can play as a #2 but it is much harder for a #2 to play as a #1.

2] It's probably a good idea to use most of your timeouts...especially in the second half.

3] How bad are those teams in the NIT that a Scott Drew-coached team is about to win it all!!??

4] Mark my word, if UK with 15 Mac Americans, hurts TV ratings with blowout after blowout, the NCAA will find something to crucify Cal with!!

5] The new movie, Olympus Has Fallen, is a great flick because Ashley Judd's character dies in the first ten minutes!!

6] Next year's Kansas Team will be so young the nickname will be changed to the Kansas Jayhawklettes.

William Weissbeck 7 years ago

I know this is off topic, but remind me again why we shouldn't have invited Louisville into the Big 12?

William Weissbeck 7 years ago

And who won their bowl game? It's not so much that KSU's program is rising, but that OU and UT are falling. I wouldn't bet on Stoops and Brown holding up the conferences honor. Then what?

Hank Cross 7 years ago

The Ville couldn't generate enough revenue from FB (that's what this is all about). Bringing in any schools other than FSU, Miami (and possibly GTech and Clemson) mean the other B12 schools take a pay cut.

Kevin Huffman 7 years ago

My opinion that Mason won't get any time this year - sit & learn year (maybe can be convinced to redshirt which I think would serve him well). Conner will be main backup at the pt. & is undersized for the "2". Basically leaves a REAL NEED for a backup 2-guard.

Why I keep touting that Desmond Lee kid.

Already plenty experienced; plenty of other high majors interested (including Baylor, Illinois & N.C. State - all 3 of whom we'd like to "stick it to" for some pseudo-recent recruiting failures against) - & gives us a body just like the one we have going out the door - albeit with a LOT MORE success.

Also could work well with the locker room (heard he has a lot of VA-background to him; would seem that he'd like having White III & F. Mason in the locker room with him).

I'd then have next year's lineup as:

1:Tharpe / Frankamp / F. Mason* (redshirt?) 2:Selden / Des. Lee 3:B. Greene / White III 4:P. Ellis / Traylor 5:Lucas / Embiid......

Honestly, see that as 10-deep.

And for Class of '14 I like the idea of signing Jo. Perkins as the heir apparent at PG to take over full-time in the '15/'16 season as a Soph. And probably our best chance at a "reach" quality post player is current No. 8 ranked, Cliff Alexander out of Chicago. Sounding like our biggest competition for him is probably Michigan State. UK sounding like they're already good for a PF (T. Lyles) & already signed a C (Towns Jr.) taht are both Top 7 ranked or higher.

I don't like our chances of getting the top 2 (Tyus Jones & Jahlil Okafor) - I don't think they're headed to UK, but it sounds like they're a package deal and I'm hearing EITHER Duke or Ohio State the most with those two.

Eric Dawson 7 years ago

My opinion, Mason will start at PG in November. At a luncheon back in December Self said that if Mason were at KU then, he would be the starting PG. More recently Self said "Frank is one of the best kept secrets in high school basketball. I really believe, even though his high school ranking is not much, he's a guy that is as good as any guard out there."

Chad Myers, HC for Massanutten Military Academy -- "We played against a lot of really, really good point guards this year [e.g., Terry Rozier (Louisville commit) and Nate Britt (UNC commit), both 4 stars], and Frank has played against a lot of high-level guards. Never did I leave a game thinking he wasn't the best point guard or just as good."

"I think he's got a chance to help them right away. He can really, really guard and he's also pretty smart. Frank will be able to make plays, he knows where to get off ball screens and he will be able to get his teammates the ball. Frank can really guard on defense, which is a major problem a lot of freshman have."

"I think Frank's ability to guard and his speed will be an advantage next year. He's as fast as any player in the country and he's strong. He's one of those guys where if you get into a street fight, you want him on your side. That's probably what Coach Self likes about him.

"By no means he is not a soft kid. If you're going to beat Frank, you're going to be in for a fight. He's a tough kid and I expect him to play right away at Kansas."

Frank can play D, still a weakness for Naa, Frank will start, mark my words -- no, mark Self's words.

chiefgordon 7 years ago

I think this headline photo is a bit unfair. It was no mystery he wasn't thrilled most of this season, but he eventually became one of the most enjoyable bench players to watch. Too bad we're not left with the image of him cheering his team on. Or at least shooting the ball during one of his few minutes of playing time.

monkeehawkSL8 7 years ago

Is there a stat line for most enjoyable bench plays?

chiefgordon 7 years ago

Yes. Any play during which you record a stat when you have a chance to enter the game.

However, my comment was on the picture and Rio as a player - not necessarily any of his specific stats or plays.

LngTimeFan 7 years ago

I wasn't at any practice but I saw what Rio did in games and it wasn't better than the starters or other subs off the bench. He clearly doesn't get that he has to earn his PT no matter where he goes. Does he actually think the is better than EJ, TR, BMc, or PE?! And he thinks the coaches have no idea what they are doing? Really? Good luck little boy, you have alot of growing up to do. I hope things work out well at some lower division school. Part of growing up is learning along the way. Rio clearly has a lot of learning and maturing to do.

towns 7 years ago

Has anybody seen what Royce Wooldrige is up to this year? Look at his stat line against Oregon State this year. http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330470265

We could definitely have used that kid.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years ago

I could put up numbers against Oregon State

Curtis Stutz 7 years ago

He put up decent numbers in a few games. He also went 2 for 6 with 5pts in 33 mins against KU. Don't know if you watched that game or not, the team wasn't missing him.

LeadFarmer 7 years ago

There goes Rio joining the list of KU transfers who have had distinguished careers elsewhere...oh that's right, they don't.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years ago

I'm relieved to see him go for several reasons, such as ball handling, but for the biggest reason: he either doesn't understand how to behave or just doesn't care. After the Carolina game, Coach Roy was shaking hands, smiling, being the great representative of the game he is, and our players showed him the respect that would make Self proud, the same respect that the UNC players should and probably did show Coach Self. When Roy walked by Adams, Adams looked away and did not acknowledge him.

Maybe Rio had never heard of Coach Roy before. Anyway, his antics on the sidelines were as much a problem for me as they were hilarious for others. Funny, but not as funny wearing the KU uniform.

I don't wish him any harm, but his attitude (Twitter BS) won't be missed. How many Seattle-area players have whiffed at KU?

Steve Zimmerman 7 years ago

Yeap. I saw that one, too. What a nerve. Should we pardon these youngsters due to their immaturity? But if you look at Perry, Lucas, heck - even BMac - they all show classy players at the same age - now that's KU bball personality. 300 comments are too much for this article, don't you think?

Curtis Stutz 7 years ago

Selden played well from what I saw of the McD AA game.

Wiggins holds a lot of power in his commitment. He could make KU a title contender, maybe UNC, or he could really push things in UK's favor. Tharpe, Selden, Wiggins, Ellis and whomever is better of Traylor, Lucas, Embiid by the end of the season could play with anybody. Would be a great bench too with Mason/Frankamp/Greene/AW3 and 2 of those last 3.

Didn't realize Frazier was headed to SMU. Can't believe the fools in the national media that actually questioned SMU hiring Larry Brown last year.

Go Shockers, beat UofL! While you're at it win another game after that if it's not too much trouble.

Kevin Jenkins 7 years ago

So, finally he is gone. We have better talent in waiting. Good luck where ever he ends up. If he was so talented, why didn't he start? Sorry, but we do have better players. Maybe our new players aren't as talented on twitter. I am sure we fill our empty slots.