Sunday, September 30, 2012

Self: New KU contract ‘generous,’ built for long haul

Bill Self says he has no idea if stability in Kansas University’s basketball program will assist him in the pursuit of high school players.

“I don’t know if this helps recruiting or not. I still had six years left (on his old contract),” Self told the Journal-World on Friday after agreeing to a restructured contract that will provide him $53.32 million over a whopping 10 years.

“I think it’s very generous. I think it’s great. Whether it helps recruiting or not, I don’t know because I feel like that is not something I’ll talk about in the homes.”

It’s a contract designed in part to entice Self to stick around. The 49-year-old, 10th-year Jayhawk coach would receive a lump sum of $6 million if he remains through March 2022.

“I need to stay the entire length of the contract to receive the major benefit of it,” Self said, adding, “it’s one of those things, obviously, if I’m not doing a good job they can terminate it and everything. I hope we can continue the same way we’ve been going, even surpass what we’ve done (eight straight Big 12 titles; one national title; one NCAA runner-up finish). I’m excited about this year’s team and the possibility of having one of the better recruiting classes we’ve had.”

Self — he has received commitments from No. 22-ranked Brannen Greene and No. 28-rated Conner Frankamp, with three scholarships still available — said he’s as happy as he could possibly be entering season No. 10 at KU.

“Cindy (wife) and I love it here. Both our kids are going to graduate from Kansas, hopefully, if my son can get through,” Self joked of freshman Tyler Self. Daughter Lauren is starting her senior year at KU. “We love it here. I don’t know if it is better than I thought because I thought it was great before I got here,” added Self, who replaced Roy Williams 10 seasons ago after working three years at the University of Illinois. “The way we’ve been treated and the success we’ve had has been absolutely fabulous.”

Contract tidbits: ESPN.com’s Darren Rovell did some numbers crunching and revealed that Self will make $14,978 a day if he remains KU coach through the 2021-22 season. ... Self is provided 10 tickets to each home game and six tickets to each away game at no cost for allocation at his discretion. The contract states that KU “allots at least 100 tickets to the men’s basketball program for each home game in the following categories: high school recruits, high school coaches, former players, coaches or managers and business and community relations. These tickets shall be provided to the men’s basketball program and shall not be for the personal use of the head coach or the assistant coaches. As tickets for business-related purposes they shall not be taxable to the head coach.” ... Self also “receives 100 percent of athletics’ royalty payments from the sale of in-store retail merchandise sold by KUStore.com during the month of June, including the two Sunday basketball camp registrations days in June, and including dorm sales held during the two weeks of summer basketball camp in June. He also receives l00 percent of the royalty payment from the total of in-store sales during the one-day holiday clinic held over the Christmas break or as otherwise determined by the parties. Royalty payments are not calculated on sales of excluded merchandise (sales to employees, team or autograph balls, consigned items, or items sold at a discount of 25 percent or more).”

Happy AD: KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger was happy to add four years to Self’s current contract.

“Where else do you go to find a coach in the modern era that’s won eight conference championships in a row, much less in the Big 12, which is highly competitive?” Zenger asked.

Mason to visit later: Frank Mason, a 5-11 senior point guard from Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., is not visiting KU this weekend as originally planned, Rivals.com reports. Mason said he likely will visit next weekend. The No. 131-ranked Mason is considering KU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech and others.

Leave him alone: Future KU player Brannen Greene, a 6-7 senior forward from Tift County High in Tifton, Ga., tells SI.com that some unnamed schools are still trying to recruit him. However, he remains solidly committed to KU.

“It’s crazy,” said Greene. I’m always thinking in the back of my mind ‘You do know I’m committed, right?’ They want to know if I’m still open to their schools, but even though I say I’m not they keep coming.”

Added Greene’s father, Jeffrey to SI.com: “It used to shock me, but not anymore. After a while you get immune to it.”

Comments

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

From ESPN:

Kansas has been aggressively mining the point guard market in recent months even after landing a mid-July commitment from Conner Frankamp (Wichita, Kan./North), the sixth-ranked point guard in the ESPN 100.

While Frankamp is certainly dependable initiating the offense, his specialty is his ability to rain 3s from behind the arc. So the Jayhawks' staff has been actively pursuing another lead guard who can complement him with some speed and quickness off the dribble.

The Jawhawks have missed out on a few of their top targets in recent weeks with Anthony Barber (Hampton, Va./Hampton) committing to North Carolina State, Demetrius Jackson (Mishawaka, Ind./Marian) pledging to Notre Dame and junior college standout Chris Jones (Memphis, Tenn./Northwest Florida State College) picking Louisville.

Uncommitted point guard Frank Mason will visit Kansas later this week.Those developments have left Frank Mason (Petersburg, Va./Massanutten Military Academy) at the top of coach Bill Self's wish list. Mason is a post-graduate guard who previously signed with Towson during his senior season at Petersburg High, but he reopened his recruitment after opting to do a year of prep school.

Mason holds offers from Virginia Tech, Providence, Rutgers, UTEP and South Carolina, among others, but has held off setting up any official visits until he first visits Kansas.

That official visit was initially scheduled to take place this past weekend until a last-minute delay with the NCAA Eligibility Center caused the trip to be pushed back a week. Now Mason is expected to be in Kansas from Thursday to Saturday, and if all goes well he could presumably have a decision shortly afterward.

Massanutten head coach Chad Myers said Mason has been a terrific addition for a post-graduate program that hopes to be among the nation’s best this season.

“He’s been really good,” Myers said. “He competes every day, plays really hard and enjoys working out and being in the gym every day.”

Even if Kansas adds a commitment from Mason or another point guard in the near future, don’t expect it to be done recruiting in the Class of 2013. The Jayhawks are still in the mix for several of the nation’s top uncommitted prospects, including ESPN 100 No. 1 player Jabari Parker (Chicago/Simeon), No. 3 Julius Randle (Dallas/Prestonwood Christian), No. 5 James Young (Rochester, Mich./Rochester), No. 6 Aaron Gordon (San Jose, Calif./Archbishop Mitty), No. 7 Noah Vonleh (Haverhill, Mass./New Hampton), No. 14 Wayne Selden (Boston/Tilton) and No. 17 Jermaine Lawrence (Springfield Gardens, N.Y./Pope John XXIII), among others.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

One final link for the day from Zag's Blog:

It had been reported a few places that James Young had cut MSU and KU from his list and was down to UK and Cuse, but this reaffirms that's not the case. Personally, I don't care if he cuts us. I don't think we're really in a good position with him. The best thing he could do for us shy of committing is commit to Cuse to help improve our position with Wayne Selden.

I consider Selden a bit of a long shot as well, unless he would be convinced that his position would be at the point and that that arrangement interests him. We're too crowded with good 2/3 wings and he clearly has the kind of floor vision and passing skills Self wants in a pg. His size, strength, and athleticism are what make the thought of it kind of sick. I like the prospects of that happening over getting Roddy Peters, and even if I didn't, the difference in athleticism between the two is great enough that I'd always want a Selden over a Peters, but that's just me.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

Also, Chris Jones, a 5-star JUCO player and recent Xavier decommit has listed KU as a school of interest. Here's a write up on him from CBS:

sofiax 1 year, 6 months ago

I make $82h while I'm traveling the world. Last week I worked by my laptop in Rome, Monti Carlo and finally Paris…This week I'm back in the USA. All I do are easy tasks from this one cool site. check it out, Red97dOTc om

Jayhawk470 1 year, 6 months ago

Another ten years of Boot Camp for new KU players!

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

Just to clear the air about self and young 's recruitment, self contacted youngs old aau coach to see if he had any recommendations. The coach had young contact self and when self found out about his commitment to sdst, he told young that hed have to decommit before they could talk. I dont consider this poaching on selfs part. The aau coach had young contact self and self didnt know about sdst until that contact. If young wasnt willing to decommit from fischer self wouldn't have gone any further with him, nor did he encourage young to renege. That, to me, is the fundamental difference. Its one thing to pick up a recruit that reopens (self has done this a lot), but its another to try and break up a commitment continuing to pursue.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

(Just to give Mason some benefit, if he does come here, is a motivated learner...maybe he can prove all of us doubters wrong. Solid performances once in a Jayhawk uniform is ALWAYS a good thing...)

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

Rankings are not completely reliable.

There are quite a few players who were ranked in the 100s who have since made it into the NBA or simply had great college careers. Here are a few examples:

2006 104 Luke Harangody Notre Dame 120 Nic Wise Arizona 128 Ishmael Smith Wake Forest 147 Deshaun Butler West Virginia 150 Dexter Pittman Texas

2007 102 Robert Sacre Gonzaga 115 Mike Scott Virginia 118 Dallas Lauderdale Ohio State 131 Taylor Battle Penn State 132 Rakim Sanders Boston College 142 Lavoy Allen Temple 145 Festus Ezeli Vanderbilt

2008 100 Tu Holloway Xavier 102 Erving Walker Florida 103 Mark Lyons Xavier 111 Kim English Mizzou 113 Kris Joseph Syracuse 115 Reggie Jackson Boston College 122 Draymond Green Michigan State 124 Jordan Taylor Wisconsin 130 Jared Swopshire Louisville 132 Demetri Goodson Gonzaga 150 Marcus Denmon Mizzou

2009 121 Stephen Pledger Oklahoma 122 Kevin Parrom Arizona 136 Michael Dixon Mizzou 138 AJ Walton Baylor 140 Khris Middleton Texas A&M 142 Brandon Triche Syracuse

2010 111 Aaron Craft Ohio State 125 Terrrell Stoglin Maryland 132 Lenzelle Smith Ohio State 142 Ralston Turner Louisiana State 144 Victor Oladipo Indiana

As you can see there are plenty of players in just the last handful of years whose careers after high school exceeded their ranking-based expectations. Some players from the more recent classes might still have breakout seasons and merit inclusion on this list. Not saying that Mason is that kind of player, but just pointing out that the rankings cannot simply be taken as truth. In a general way they tell us the likelihood that a player will be of such-and-such caliber. Sorry for the inclusion of those Mizzou players ;) Plus there are quite a few more I would have included as being solid D1 starters/contributors, but I felt the list was getting lengthy enough.

Robbk1066 1 year, 6 months ago

We need another PG for 2013. Have seen nothing from anyone on the team so far that fits this need. Nad needs to step up bigtime this year, even if he does we need a 2nd one a good one in 13. We are much more dangerous in our offense when the guards are interchangable. Con Fran is very good but will take a year or two to mussle up to go with that shot. We have height, wings and SG covered, could always do with another Center type or a tall scorer, who can't, but another PG would be very nice. Anyone rated just about works. On Brannen, would be very, very surprised if he has any doubts about coming here. Father and son state big plus for KU is the coach, honesty about working hard to challange him, and approach to the process. They beleive hard work with a talented coach is the key, not whose shoes they wear, what "extras" can be offered or how many one and dones can be flushed through the program. Guys like that cannot be swayed by anything offered this late in the process, unless the coach is let go, the opposite of that just happened... who cares that others try to poach commits, been that way since day 1 way way back. The long time coaches, the really good ones, always focus on character, and coachability to go with the talent. Think about the ones you see all the time. Senior guard at CT champ 2 years ago, TRob, Sherron, Tyle H, on and on. Both these guys in 13 are going to be fun to watch, with whoever comes back from this years really really good team.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

Looks like Mason may be headed to campus tomorrow. Apparently his paperwork did not clear through the NCAA in time for a visit this weekend. He sounds pretty excited about being here and I'm thinking he commits on his visit.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

If I recall correctly, HEM weighed in somewhere around the same time as ralster did, and began analyzing the Mason recruitment from the OAF (i.e., one and flush) standpoint. HEM's take did not appear to hinge on how slow Mr. Mason reputedly was. It hinged on his 133 (or thereabouts) ranking. And the main thrust was that Frank Mason's recruitment probably implied that Self doubted he was going to be able to sign a highly ranked PG this season. But HEM will, if he reads this post, no doubt clarify his intentions, if I have mistated them.

So to summarize to this point, we have four (including mine) more or less distinguishable threads of doubt about Mr. Mason's worthiness as a KU recruit:

1) The 133 ranked Mason must be being recruited because of speed, based on inference based on his size and the kinds of players the coaches pursuing Mason tend to recruit;

2) Mason's slowness, contrary to my inference, introduced by whom I am not sure;

3) woeful slowness put forth by our usually reliable ralster; and

4) Mason's low rank making him fit into an OAF profile, but without an explicit assumption of slowness.

Now, of course, there is also the usual gaggle of anserine remarks, but, as of now, this seems the anatomy of this rumor. :-)

Sorry I could not resolve it, but until we can, tidying up what we do know never hurts. :-)

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Anatomy of a Rumor: Frank Mason Is Slow"

jhawk7782,

This is a good question that everyone seems to have a speculative answer for that persuades no one but themselves. :-)

I assumed Frank Mason was probably exceptionally quick, because the other coaches that are reputedly pursuing him have tended to have very quick PGs. It seemed a logical inference to me at the time. 5-11 and 160. 133 rank. A guy Self, Travis Ford, Frank White and someone else wanted. These coaches tend to go after guys who can play, but sometimes lack a dimension in their game allowing them to be in the Top 50. Great ball handler with a lot of speed. Maybe not a sharp shooter. Maybe not super springy. But I reckoned he must have the kind of speed I've seen Selfs lesser PGs possess and Frankie's and Travis' starters possess. And I recalled that Frankie's and Travis' half pint guards had given us some head aches, even against great defenders like Tyshawn Taylor. So I inferred Self's interest in Mason must mean SPEED.

But then it was pointed out by someone, I forget who now, that the word was that Mason was slow.

That jaybate was wrong AGAIN! :-)

I am both interested to get it right, when I'm wrong, but also frequently chastised for being wrong, when it turns out I am right.

So: I dutifully withheld judgement and kept reading to see the proof that he was wrong. Maybe it was given, and I missed it. Sometimes when I am having fun working on my speed bag (JayShagen), after he lays down one of his mendacity barrages, I am having so much fun I miss something here or there.

But by and by I read ralster putting a merciless cudgel on Frank Mason's lack of speed. Now, ralster, I always have to give a little extra weight to, because he tends to think it through and to have thought on something before riffing.

But--and no knock to the ralster intended--I could not quite understand what info lead him to his rather definitive observations about young Mr. Mason. Since I have never known him to reason with ether, I suspect, if he sees my post here, he will clarify what source of information caused him to draw his conclusion about Mason's deficiencies.

But then the plot thickened a bit, as it often does in threads.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

Why are we recruiting Frank Mason? Has HCBS decided that Tharpe just isn't going to cut it?

Seems desperate. Maybe Royce Woolridge wants to return.

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

Interesting schools are testing Greene's commitment. Wonder what makes them think he's swayable?

I haven't heard of alot of UNC or UK kids getting recruited after their commitments.

LHS1980 1 year, 6 months ago

chamberlain, you should have made Rogers leave the bar when you did...

mojayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I'd like to know the names of the schools still trying to recruit Brannen. Any guesses?

RogersState80 1 year, 6 months ago

ITS A LUCKY THING OUR ADMINISTRATORS DID NOT FIRE HIM LIKE THEY DID MARK MANGINO. IM EXPECTING OUR ADMINISTRATORS TO ALSO GIVE A CONTRACT EXTENSION TO CHARLIE "THE DOUGHNUT" WEIS FOR THE FINE JOB HE HAS DONE SO FAR THIS SEASON.

ccarp 1 year, 6 months ago