Originally published September 28, 2012 at 02:02p.m., updated September 29, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

Bill Self, KU agree on contract through 2021-22 season

Kansas head coach Bill Self takes questions during a press conference on Sunday, April 1, 2012 at the Superdome.

Armed with a new contract to lead Kansas University basketball through the 2021-22 season, Bill Self on Friday was asked what he might say to any fans concerned that he’ll someday head to the NBA.

“I always thought I had one of the best jobs in the country, and that is college, NBA, any level,” Self told the Journal-World after it was announced that he’d agreed to a deal, that, if fulfilled, will guarantee him just over $53 million over the next 10 seasons.

“I am never going to say never, but I will tell you this: I can’t imagine being anywhere other than the University of Kansas. We (he and wife Cindy) bought a new home three years ago and look forward to living in it many, many more years to come.”

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger approached Self about a four-year extension (including more dollars) of a contract that had six years remaining after last year’s appearance in the NCAA title game.

“It’s very nice that Sheahon and the chancellor and all the people that have input in this do this for our family,” Self said. “Also, I hope it’s for a performance well done but also for a performance that is perceived to be well done moving forward, too. We’ve already done what we’ve done. Now we’ve got to do more.

“We’re excited, fired up,” he added, speaking to the J-W while on a golf outing following Friday’s Boot Camp session and before the start of a recruiting weekend. “I’m really pleased at the direction of the athletic department. I’m really pleased with the direction Sheahon has this thing moving. Our entire athletic department is on great footing.”

Zenger said he did not seek out Self for an extension as a reward merely for the Final Four season.

“For me, more importantly whether he got to that point of the tournament or not, was we want Bill here long-term. So the 10-year contract is what was most important to me,” Zenger told the Journal-World. “People probably don’t remember when I took the job, I said one of the biggest reasons I came here was Bill Self and getting to work with him. It has turned out to be one of the true joys of the job.”

Asked if this proves Self wants to stay and decline future overtures from the NBA, Zenger said: “I believe so. I believe coach Self loves it here. We just want to make it so that he doesn’t worry about going to the NBA. I believe he and I have the greatest coaching and AD jobs in the country, and we just want to enjoy it together.”

Self has learned to make no absolute statements regarding his own future.

“Something that kind of goes unsaid too much is I learned never to say never when I put my foot in my mouth at Illinois saying I was going to be there for the long haul. The long haul by definition I don’t think is three years ... but Kansas called,” said Self, who replaced Roy Williams at KU after spending three years at U of I.

“I don’t really know if people really gather what a great situation I had there that we left to come to a situation that was even a lot better. I know there are other great jobs out there. I certainly don’t think it takes long to call roll for the best of the best. I feel I’m fortunate to have one of those positions. You never say never, but I can’t imagine myself coaching anywhere else as long as the people here at KU want me to be here.”

As with his previous contract, no taxpayer or tuition funds will be used to pay this new contract.

Self’s current contract, which runs through June 2018, pays him $3.376 million, including base salary and annual service payments, as well as retention payments that are payable in 2013 and 2018. In total, he can receive up to $22.4 million in bonuses if he stays through the length of the contract.

The new contract pays Self $3.856 million annually, an increase of $480,000 per year. In addition, Self, who nets a retention bonus of $3.27 million at the end of the upcoming season, will earn a retention bonus of $876,000 per year, payable in 2015 and 2018. That second retention bonus is replaced in 2019 by an agreement to pay Self a one-time sum of $6 million if he remains KU’s coach through March 2022. In order for Self to earn the maximum amount of the contract, including retention bonuses, he must remain as head coach at KU through the 2021-22 season.

The contract also includes the following incentives:

• Regular-season conference championship ($50,000).

• Conference postseason tournament championship ($25,000).

• AP Coach of the Year ($100,000).

• Final Four appearance ($150,000).

• NCAA Championship ($200,000).

He has no buyout if he leaves KU for another job.

“I felt great about the contract we re-did in ’08,” he said of an extension granted by former AD Lew Perkins. “Of course, extending it four years I think is terrific. I’m excited. I don’t know if I’m going to be giddy about, or lay awake at night thinking, ‘Hey, I have a contract until 2022.’ Hopefully if you do a good job they are going to want you around. If you are not doing a good job, they won’t want you around. A contract is only as good as the paper it’s written on. There are ways if you are not doing a good job … they could still make a change.”

It’s believed that only Kentucky coach John Calipari (5.39 million per annum) makes more money in the college ranks, when one considers retention bonuses. Zenger says Self is worth every penny.

“Not only do I admire what he does with the X’s and O’s ... it’s how he handles the young guys, interacts with them, the relationship he has with them,” Zenger said. “How he handles the constituent groups and for us that work with him on a daily basis. It’s safe to call him a ‘celebrity coach,’ but he acts like anything but a celebrity coach. He’s absolutely a joy and pleasure to work with.”

To review all details of Self’s contract, read the official pdf file at kusports.com. The web address is http://bit.ly/RplIt9

Recruiting: Frank Mason, a 5-foot-11, 160-pound senior point guard from Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., is scheduled to visit KU this weekend. Mason, who is ranked No. 131 nationally by Rivals.com, signed with Towson last November, but elected to attend prep school for academic reasons. He now has KU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech and others on his list. Mason averaged 27 points a game last season at Petersburg (Va.) High. He was region player of the year for the two-time state runner-up team.

Comments

offline 1 year, 6 months ago

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

This is the best news I could have hoped for! Y'all can have your recruiting slump all you want, I'll take the coach that wins 84% of the time for 10 years.

sofiax 1 year, 6 months ago

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $82h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online… Red97dotcom

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Nine Ways to Know the Season Cannot Start to Soon:

1. The Disclaimerer was identified by President Obama as a sports terrorist and given a jump without a chute somewhere over the Mid Atlantic trench.

2. JayShagger officially changed his alias to JayShagsHimself.

3. Through rote memorization HawkKLaw learned to type "I am not bright. Forgive me, please."

4. "Wrong way" types found worshipping Cthulu in a dark forest outside Mouth of Wilson, Virginia, while shouting, "Self must be denied all recruits."

5. Waste baskets overflowing at practice facility.

6. Last country club week party always ends around October 1, then there is a dreadful lull between kegs until October 12th.

7. Football bye weeks make us realize how much we are using distraction to get by till October 12th.

8. Jayhawk fans begin sleeping with their basketballs instead of their wives, or girl friends.

9. Grown men crying, because they still cannot find a basketball game by blind surfing.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Bulletin: the football team stems the tide and remains 1-3 after fighting the University of Bye to a scoreless tie in a non-game.

ABeesus 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm glad Self will stay.

Self's salary isn't paid by the university, per the article.
But what about his pension?

When he retires, will Kansas taxes pay 80% of his top wage, for life? Also, won't he also get to stack the KS pension with one from Illinois?

I'm curious, because public pensions appear unsustainable in most states.

Self, unlike many, actually earns money for the system. But what a pension(s)!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

I've been sitting around waiting for someone to connect the dots on Notre Dame announcing this week they are ending their football rivalry with Michigan after this season. This signals something a lot bigger than their basketball and minor sports joining the ACC.

Notre Dame is about to do something regarding football realignment after the election that is going to surprise some people.

:-)

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

There is an incentive clause I want added to Self's contract.

He gets a $1M for revealing whether he wears a rug, or not, in 2022, if he decides to retire at that point.

If Bill has worn a rug during his KU career to make sure he is the best possible recruiter and coach he can be for The Legacy, then I want him rewarded for having been willing to go to the trouble of having done so.

And when he hangs up his whistle the last time, in his last game in Allen Field House, again, if he wears a rug, then I would like for him walk out to center court, turn around to the student section, tell everyone how much he will miss everyone, but that there is a time when all good things must end. Then I want him to say, "I gave everything I had to this program and university. I left everything on the floor every game except one thing." Then I want him to reach up, rip off his rug, and throw it on the floor in the center jump circle, smile that incredible smile of his on last time as KU's coach, while stroking his bald dome, and say, "And now I am finally leaving that damn thing on the floor, too. Thank you all for a great ride. We made it. Cin and I love you all. Send all mail to Cin and I to Bora Bora for the next five years. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!" And he runs off the floor and into the locker room!!!!!

Yeeeee hawwwwwwww!!!!

Go Bill go!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

(cont)

I guess I can accept it with a smile if Mason is the final add-on in this five man class. But this is different. We have no scholarships open for 2014-15 as it stands, right? Ok, one .. assuming we land a big man in this class, leaving the chances high that either Peters, Traylor, or Lucas leaves. If we land Selden .. Adams might start re-considering if he doesn't play much this season and McLemore doesn't bolt.

Maybe better to give Wesley the 5th scholarship for the year. Or, if Self really sees it as a "tryout" for Mason, then it is truly no harm, no foul ... but for the unsavory nature of the OAF (One And Flush*) mentality. Again, I go back to a topic I've focused on ... ballhandling.

But I don't see it. A really, really low rated, barely three star guy .. slow. Shoots a set shot. He's really a guy we'd play even in an emergency his freshman season? Ugh.

From Ocean's 11 .. "My advice to you, run and hide. That is all I ask. Run and hide." Or something like that. But Self doesn't consult me.

*One And Flush" or OAF: Derived from the One And Done term; First coined by jaybate (some of his best work, I might add) in reference to Merv Lindsay, to underscore the unfortunate mentality when filling out a college basketball roster wherein a player can be disposed of after one season if he not what coach expected, or if he was there solely to fill a roster need for a season. The "flush" can be by blatant over-recruiting (see Pitino who has more commits than scholarships available), by a coach terminating the scholarship, or by subtle nudges couched in terms of being in the best interests of the player where the player makes the "choice" (see Lindsay -- speculation alert).

chipmunk1956 1 year, 6 months ago

Right after bonus incentives is this stand alone statment, "He has no buyout if he leaves KU for another job."...

Hummmm..... I wonder if R. C. Buford had them put that in the contract??? Just sayin' !!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

I posted this mistakenly last night on the another thread re: the Frank Mason visit mentioned above.

Frank Mason info from ESPN for anyone interested:

Strengths: Mason is a very confident true point guard. He is a true floor general that can run the team. He pushes that ball and can shoot the 3 with deep range. Weaknesses: Mason is an average to good athlete at best. He can make deep 3's but his shot is more of a set shot. He will need to improve his speed and quickness and work to be a better defender in addition to adding strength. Bottom Line: Mason is a true point guard that has swagger and can run the team and make deep J's. He must work to improve his athletism and add strength but Mason can be trusted with the ball and has great upside.

Here's Ralster's reply: Translate: He's slow, with matador defense. Cannot create his own shot. Cannot blow by anyone. He is a mid-major type, or a Div2 type. A make-no-mistake type of QB, but not a scoring threat. Frankamp vs. Mason in a hypothetical 1on1? Bet farm on Franny.

How is Ralster wrong here? I think he is spot-on. There was some assumptions in past threads that Mason had "speed" -- doesn't sound like it. Reasonable assumption for a guy under 6' .. you would assume he'd be lightning.

The scoop on Mason's recruitment - He is plan G (right, that's behind plans A - F). Mason would be added solely as depth (initially), and as a project. His solid ballhandling skills again highlights the desire for ballhandling. He would be a "break glass in case of emergency" kind of guy - behind Tharpe, Adams, Frankamp, and possibly/hopefully another option (one that weigh 230, about 6'4", also coming to late night). Then, if his potential is realized, he could find the rotation later, perhaps his junior/senior season. But if Self sees his potential lacking, the young man would find the door to open a scholarship. You know, the "player's decision" .. "after discussing my future with coach Self" .. "loved being here" .. "great experience" .. etc. Further, Self, each season, would be recruiting to improve at that spot -- there'll will be other Anthony Barber's on his radar. If Self sees that he really has potential to play, he might catch a redshirt. But Mason would be here to serve a specific, roster-filling purpose.

Sound familiar?

(cont)

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 6 months ago

Memhawks thoughts:

Hey,in comparison,how much will TRob make in the next ten years?

Sounds like DManning will have to wait until 2023 for his "big chance".

I think the "Original Rules of Basketball" should have been some sort of bonus.

DCSven 1 year, 6 months ago

Best. News. Ever.

May HCBS stay longer at Kansas than Phog and surpass his record, win more than Wooden at UCLA, surpass Krzyzewski and Summit for all time, and deepen the love affair we fans and his players have with him and he and his family have with Kansas. It's probably too early to send out the call for submissions for sculptors to cast his statue in front of AFH, but can't you just see it, standing as if in conversation with Phog's?

Best quote: ".... but Kansas called."

Funniest hypothetical: "if Calapari left even Kentucky might come calling." That made me laugh out loud. I can't see Self going to a school that, when that happens, would be on probation or facing sanctions, or that Self would compromise his integrity to bend to the Kentucky way.

ROCK CHALK!!!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I frequently lip off about how I would coach the football team for half of whatever the current coach is making.

I would NOT make that offer for the basketball team. There is no amount of money that would make me the kind of coach that Bill Self is.

He's a freak.

I hope he's a Jayhawk until he decides to retire.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 6 months ago

"He has no buyout if he leaves KU for another job"

That's pretty funny stuff to point out Gary! .

Ron Franklin 1 year, 6 months ago

Good Job Zenger.

Congrats to the Self & Jayhawk family!

RogersState80 1 year, 6 months ago

ITS A GOOD THING THAT OUR ADMINISTRATORS HAVE NOT FIRED BILL SELF. WE ARE GOING TO NEED HIM TO ALSO COACH FOOTBALL IF WE PLAN ON WINNING ANY GAMES. I HOPE EVERYONE IS HAPPY NOW THAT MARK MANGINO IS GONE.

stm62 1 year, 6 months ago

Who was the MU AD that picked Quinn Snyder over Bill Self ? Had to be one of the top head coach hiring MISTAKES of all time. Just think of the consequences if Coach Self had gone to the Puddytats.

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

Hekk Yah! Bill Self is The Man. There is no other coach in college ball right now who is better and we've got him. Speaking to the idea that KU officials could use Lawrence tax payer money for his salary. Id bet lots of money that if given to vote, it would pass by a wide margin. The guy is near god status in that town, even more than Roy was.

Beyond this exciting piece of news, I am even more excited to see how the team roster plays out, ie. who gets minutes. CS himself has said this team is extremely deep and looking at the past 9 years, he doesnt like to use more than an 8 man rotation. He could very very easily go 10 deep this season without batting an eyelash. This begs the question, who is gonna red shirt? Its got to be one or more of our bigs between Wesley,Traylor,Lucas and Peters. My rationale is this; EJ and Naadir or Rio on point. Bmac will see time at the 2 & 3, White and Rio will see time at the 2. Releford starts on 3, Ellis and Young will get minutes at the 4. Withey is our C. Thats 9 guys right there with 4 left to fit in somewhere.
Anyone have any insights/opinions? Im all ears.

kureader 1 year, 6 months ago

$53,000,000 ... 53 million in 10 years ... guaranteed.

It really sounds like alot of money ... until you remember that Mangino (and staff), Perkins and Gill (and staff) were paid almost 20 million to do NOTHING, except to leave KU.

For Self, this is a $35 million dollar deal, plus or minus, after tax. It's enough, that any move to the NBA wouldn't provide much of an incentive, and it certainly wouldn't give Self 10 years worth of job security.

KU doesn't have all the cards. Under the circumstances, this was an astute move by Zenger. And, I can't think of a better long term basketball coach for KU than Bill Self.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 6 months ago

I think this is a good time to point out one of jaybate's more stupid theories (which is sayin' a lot considering it's jaybate we're talking about). He claimed that there would be some sort of power shift within universities that would drive the supply/demand in favor of chancellors and--get this--the KU chancellor would eventually make more than the KU basketball coach. I'm not sure what time line he was theorizing (1,000 years? post-apocalyptic?) but I got the impression he meant within decades.

I wish I could cut and paste exactly what he said but I can't remember which article it was under (and, of course, it had nothing to do with what the article was about) but I think it was during June or July.

Or did I misinterpret what you meant, jaybate? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If not, when will the Chancellor of the University of Kansas make more than $4,000,000 per year? Or will the Kansas basketball coach make less $450,000 per year (Gray-Little's current salary)?

Brian Stoops 1 year, 6 months ago

Good move, KU.

Anything under 5 mil per year is a steal of a deal for Coach Self.

chriz 1 year, 6 months ago

This doesn't really affect anything, so far as I can tell, but it does seem to be a wise and courteous decision by Zenger. From what I understand, Self can leave anytime he wants without penalty. And he can renegotiate any time he wants.

What this is is an appreciation of who Self is as a coach and ambassador for KU, as well as an acknowledgment that he is who he is. They have full confidence that he won't change one iota for at least the next ten years, and that he's at least worth that amount during that time.

So good for KU, and good for Self.

Bob Zielinski 1 year, 6 months ago

Nothing against Zenger and Little but it is slightly comical how they (news flash) recognize Self as an upper echelon coach when he had more to do with keeping the Big XII together and keeping the university on track than either of those two did.

Hey, great job coaching the basketball team Bill. Oh yeah, and thanks for helping bail us out of a tough spot as well.

DDDHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Great deal for both sides of that contract! Congrats and thanks to both!

Curtis Lange 1 year, 6 months ago

$15k/day?! Man, Im in the wrong profession. I'd just have to work 2.5 days to be good for a year, lol.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 6 months ago

His legacy will rival all the greats when all is said and done.

I know I am for sure "giddy"

Excellent news.

cheeseburger 1 year, 6 months ago

Congrats HCBS and Dr. Zenger. Great news for Jayhawk Nation!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Great news, but I did get a little sheepish reading another man's private business. I guess it was private unless both parties agreed to make it public. For these are NOT public funds. Billy Self from Okmulgee, OK: You are worth every penny. Do what you do, sir!!! Eternal thanks from the gods of college basketball, I'm sure, for showing the nation how tough team play allows picked athletes to dominate both ends of the floor. AWESOME. Love your system, love how you represent the Midwest's finest University and the nation's winningest Div1 basketball program the last 6yrs running...RCJH!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

We are just lucky to have such an outstanding person, tremendous coach, and excellent representative of the University of Kansas. Time for the season to get rollin'.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 6 months ago

Man, this is GREAT news! Assuming he stays at KU for the duration of this contract (and I think he will), he could then be on the verge of passing Phog Allen as the winningest KU Basketball Coach ever (Think about how awesome that title would be!). Phog had 590 wins at KU. Self currently has 269 through 9 seasons. Let's say he gets another 269 over the next 9 seasons (through 2020-21)....that would give him 538 with one more year to go on the current contract and just 53 wins away from passing Phog. And, I'm assuming KU will at some point give him another extention of a contract along the way before 2022 comes. He would turn 60 in December of 2022 and would have lots of coaching years still ahead of him. WE ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE BILL SELF!!!! Keep rockin' Coach! We love ya.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! KU!!!

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

Anybody read the bullet point that says Self gets all the royalties from merchandise sales in the month of June?

Wonder if they run any sales at that time!

MrMario15 1 year, 6 months ago

I read a few months ago -- people claiming to have a good handle on how long Self would remain at KU -- put the number at five years. I thought that was odd when I read it. And the story appeared in a credible nwspaper

Krohnutz 1 year, 6 months ago

Another solid move by the Z man.

MrMario15 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, how cheap can Zenger be? Only a 200K bonus for a national championship lamo.

For all of you sensitive folk out there, this was only a joke. I repeat this was only a joke

lurkerhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Well deserved. Bill will never lose his competitive drive.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, this is fantastic news! Everyone knows we have one of the very best--I think THE best--basketball coaches in the country. But what impresses me even more about Coach Self is the kind of person he is when you see him around town or at events, hear him talk on the radio or TV, or the way the recruits' parents talk about him. The time pressures that he is placed under are crazy. Radio shows, interviews, fundraising events, etc, then practice, recruiting, and he has to have some office time and time for his family. But every time I have had the pleasure of meeting him (a few Hawk Talk shows at the Salty Iguana and other events), he has always been smiling, joking with everyone, etc. Perhaps even more impressive is the fact that he remembers peoples faces and names, even with only a passing meeting.

Congratulations, Coach Self! You deserve this. And for that matter, Congratulations, KU and Sheahon Zenger!! You have secured the best basketball coach in the country for the next 10 years!!

Rock Chalk, Baby!!

milehighhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

When basketball coaches win at Illinois, they go to KU.

When basketball coaches lose at Illinois, they go to K-State.

RCJH

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

This is great news! Self is an amazing coach, one that I currently wouldn't trade for anyone. My only problems with him have been his recent recruit results, as an overall coach, there arent many better!

Displayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Y'know, the thing that I like most about Coach Self, is that even though he and his family are set financially, you would never know it by the way he does his job, and more importantly, by how he treats people!

Scut Farkus 1 year, 6 months ago

Good news indeed. It's so refreshing to see coaches like Self, Izzo and Boeheim make long term commitments to their respective schools when most of their counterparts are eager to jump at the highest bidder.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, imagine the Apple products we'll be enjoying in 2022...

Adam Gerval 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes, yes, yes. Great job, KU and coach Self. Don't ever let this guy go.

toots_mom 1 year, 6 months ago

I like the way they plan ahead. Good move KU.

Jayhawk470 1 year, 6 months ago

So much for all you guys' talk of Self going to coach the San Antonio Spurs. Looks like players will have Boot Camp to look forward to for another ten years.

And to the rest of the Big 12, which has been ours for most of its existence, I'd like to take this moment to say:

BOHICA! Bend over; here it comes again!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

As Flounder would say in Animal House..." Boy Oh Boy......This is Great!!!!"

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

seems like coach self could be coaching former player's sons with this extension

pepper_bar 1 year, 6 months ago

What incentives are in his contract for having his players succeed in the classroom?

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

Another decade of dominance has been insured!

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

So what will it take for him to stay through 2032?

Dee Shaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Well deserved. A true testimony that hard work and dedication does pay off. Great work Coach. You deserve it. Proud that Coach Self is our coach. Just think coach you are the 1% that we hear these morons talk about all the time needing to pay more. God Bless ya. You work hard and do your job and awarded then good old Uncle Sam comes in and punishes hard work and commitment. I hope some day I can be in your shoes. Keep up the hard work and keep pushing forward.

Marcus Duncan 1 year, 6 months ago

Bill Self for President!! You've got 1 vote here!

Gavin Fritton 1 year, 6 months ago

Best sports news I'll have this weekend.