Northern Illinois defeats Kansas, 30-23

• 2:30 p.m., Sept. 22, 2012
  • DeKalb, Illinois,

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Déjà ewww! KU falls apart in 4th (again)

Dayne Crist (10) is sacked in the second half of KU's 30-23 loss to Northern Illinois Huskies Saturday, September 22, 2012, at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb, Ill. At top is left tackle Tanner Hawkinson.

— With its second fall-from-in-front loss of the young season — both with two-score leads in the fourth quarter, no less — Kansas University’s football team pushed its road losing streak to 14 games with a 30-23 loss to Northern Illinois on Saturday at Huskie Stadium.

The way this one went, it’s natural to wonder if that streak will be at 19 by the end of the season.

On the second play of the fourth quarter, KU cornerback Tyler Patmon intercepted a Jordan Lynch pass and returned it, untouched, 54 yards to the end zone to the give the Jayhawks a 23-13 lead with 14:33 to play. A holding penalty on the extra-point attempt, and the miss that followed, kept the KU lead at 10, but there the Jayhawks sat, up two scores in the fourth quarter yet again.

Unlike the last time, when Rice needed a field goal as time expired to top Kansas in Week Two, this Kansas collapse came more quickly.

From euphoria to you’re-kidding-me in 14:33, the Jayhawks now sit at 1-3 entering their off week. And the worst part is, nobody can really explain why.

“It was a lot of smiles on the sideline (after the Patmon touchdown),” KU senior safety Bradley McDougald said. “I don’t know if that was just to have that separation or if guys did get complacent. I was walking up and down the sideline just saying, ‘Next play.’ There was so much time left.”

Plenty, in fact.

Ten seconds later, in front of 18,374 fans, the Huskies cut the KU lead to 23-20, when NIU quarterback Jordan Lynch hit receiver Martel Moore for a 65-yard touchdown pass that confused the Jayhawks and took just 10 seconds to deliver.

“It was kind of like a trick play,” McDougald said. “Kind of like a (Tim) Tebow pop pass, if you will.”

After initially bobbling the snap, Lynch took two steps toward the line of scrimmage as if he were going to run. Based on his 134-yard performance on the ground, it made sense that the Jayhawks would expect that. It made even more sense considering the Huskies ran the “trick play” out of an empty backfield for the first time all season.

Dazed, but still in the lead, the Jayhawks responded with a drive that reached as deep as the NIU 22-yard line. From there, things really began to unravel.

KU’s next three plays went seven yards in the wrong direction, setting up a fourth-and-17 at the NIU 29 with around 10 minutes remaining.

“I decided to go for it because the 30-yard line against the wind today, that’s really out of field goal range,” KU coach Charlie Weis said.

Somehow, senior receiver Kale Pick slipped behind the NIU defense and got open along the KU sideline, with nothing between him and the end zone. But the pass from quarterback Dayne Crist was overthrown by five yards, and nine plays later the game was tied with 7:58 to play.

“I should’ve made that throw,” Crist said. “That’s a play that he and I have to make.”

Added Weis: “That’s a critical time in the game, offensively. They’ve just made a big play, and you gotta get something going. That’s not what happened. (Crist) didn’t get hit, he just missed him. It’s unfortunate because, you know, you’re wide-open.”

Through the first three quarters of Saturday’s loss, there were plenty of positives for the Jayhawks. The teams traded scores early on, and NIU led 13-10 at the half.

Junior tailback James Sims, who returned from a three-game suspension, looked better than ever in rushing for 91 yards and two touchdowns, and junior wideout Christian Matthews, a former quarterback, ran KU’s Wildcat offense flawlessly, finishing with 43 yards on five carries and making one poised decision after the next.

In addition, the KU defense limited NIU’s potent offense to 264 yards on 57 plays.

But once the collapse came, none of that mattered, and the Jayhawks were powerless to stop it.

Weis said he went away from the Wildcat offense because NIU made a defensive adjustment to stretch the play to the sideline.

Matthews said he saw it, too.

“The D-end started staying instead of closing to the back,” Matthews said.

That left the ball, and the game, in Crist’s hands, and neither he nor KU’s offensive line could come through. Crist was sacked four times and hurried nearly twice that often.

When he wasn’t, he made throws he won’t like watching on film. What’s more, that defense that had played tough and poised initially gave up 191 yards of offense in the final quarter alone and looked gassed by the up-tempo Huskies offense.

“Part of the problem is the changing of personnel and the speed at which they do that,” Weis said. “That challenges you.”

KU’s latest loss — its 29th in the last 35 tries — really came down to big plays. The Jayhawks made a few, but also missed a few and gave up far too many.

“Sometimes it’s really that simple,” Weis said.

The Jayhawks are off until Oct. 6, when they travel to Manhattan to take on Kansas State.

Comments

Jayhawk1116 4 years, 10 months ago

The Weis honeymoon has officially ended for me. I'd just like to say I'm sick and tired of hearing about Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen. Win a F** game!

Daniel Kennamore 4 years, 10 months ago

I think you are forgetting just HOW bad we were last season. Even with only one win this season we are looking better...having real shots at knocking off pretty good teams. TCU is a top 20 and N. Illinois is a solid 10 win team...and yet we were in it late into the game with both. That's light-years away from last season.

You gotta give the man a year; if you were expecting to win more than a couple games this year you had WAY to high of expectations.

Jayhawk1116 4 years, 10 months ago

We win the last two games with Webb behind center. No doubt in my mind. But he's no 5-star Notre Dame guy. And I'm afraid Weis won't bench Crist because he's his guy. And what if Heaps is just as bad??? He lost his starting job too. I'm really starting to doubt Charlie's ability to recruit good talent. That's what did him in at Notre Dame, and he's not off to a good start here (with ND leftovers).

79ictjhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

You may have a point about Webb, but don't dis Heaps over the job Crist is doing.

KansasRedLegger 4 years, 10 months ago

Team is not improved. We actually beat that ten win NIU team last year.

Bville Hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

If you don't see substantial improvement over last year then you either 1) missed last season and therefore can't legitimately make the comparison, or 2) are an idiot.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 10 months ago

Expectations - I'm not expecting to run 11 of 13 pass plays to close the game when we have a lead or are tied for 1/2 of those. I'm not expecting our QB to be perfect, but definitely not expecting him to be rated among the worst in D1. I definitely am expecting him to complete more than the 30% he did to end the game. I'm not necessarily even expecting him to complete a long pass, tho I am expecting him to give his receiver a chance to make a play. I am expecting a D1 QB to be able to complete a pass to a wide open TE on a crossing route just beyond the LOS - Dayne missed that one at least twice in the 2nd half. I do expect a D1 HC to be able to review film of this game and conclude that the O was at it's best when we were playing one man short in the Jayhawk (Dayne standing by the sideline is a spectator and everyone knows it). I also expect that Christian Matthews isn't the only player on the team that can run the Jayhawk, and 2 of the other options might be able to make a forward pass as well. Not sure what your expectations are, but I think mine would have resulted in a couple more victories for the year, and I don't think that is unreasonably high. I don't think these are unreasonable expectations.

Thomas Matlock 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't think it is unfair to ask them to compete till the end of the game. They act as if the result is predetermined. I didn't think giving up would be part of the Weis gameplan. Be tough and compete until the whistle blows...win or lose.

63Jayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Although I believe it giving Weis a the time needed to develop his system and players, the record is not better than Turner Gill's and the results are very similar,,,get ahead then lose in the second half!

Brian Leiker 4 years, 10 months ago

Let me know when Weis beats a ranked Georgia Tech, Has Baylor down in the 4th and has Missouri on the ropes at half. I don't think Gill was the answer and I'm glad he's gone, but I think we saw that an NFL system doesn't work with Nebraska talent, so why the hell do people think it will work here. His system will not work here.

Doug Cramer 4 years, 10 months ago

Danny - I get ur point...but we're gonna get destroyed by most of the Big 12 teams.

We beat UNI last year under Gill. I'm not sure that we look better than last year.

The D-line got plowed in the 4th quarter. Jordan Webb looks better than Crist. Our O-line can't block on passing plays.

Daniel Kennamore 4 years, 10 months ago

Again, we barely beat them last year...at home. This was a true road game.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 10 months ago

18k fans is a spring game. The road doesn't get anymore docile than this.

Daniel Kennamore 4 years, 10 months ago

It's still a road game versus home game; this is only the second time we've been within 7 on the road since Turner Gill's first season. The other time was a 3 point loss at Iowa State.

Ethan Berger 4 years, 10 months ago

NIU also had a kid named Chandler Harnish, a pro qb on the team last year.

ShockHawk10 4 years, 10 months ago

Jordan Webb vs Washington State - 29/42 (69%), 345 yards, 2 TDs, and 1 INT. With this stat line, we beat Rice, NIU, and possibly TCU.

texashawk10 4 years, 10 months ago

Rice, NIU, and TCU>>>>Washington St. by a mile. Plus Colorado is likely headed to a 1-11 record at this point. They lost to Sacramento St. for f's sake.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 10 months ago

You really can't wait til we at least match the 7 game skid before posting this junk?

ShockHawk10 4 years, 10 months ago

I've posted something similar on another comment board, but we cannot blame Mangino's firing and the hiring of Gill on the current administration. ADSZ infused life and hope into a fledgeling program with the hire of Weis. Give the man more than four games before we start calling for his head. We have a few nice pieces to work with, but Weis, as a whole, is working with athletes that are inferior to what they are about to face and what they faced in the TCU game. While the QB play is atrocious, the rest of the team looks much improved from last year. Always remember, Mangino won only 2 games his first year in Lawrence.

AirCapJay 4 years, 10 months ago

Mangino lost his last 7 games. He blew the Missouri game that we could and should have won. Gill and now Weis are trying to work with Mangino's recruits. That Orange Bowl win might have just been a lucky fluke.

NikeCortez 4 years, 10 months ago

No, ADSZ gave the fanbase what it wanted, not what it needed. When this pompous gasbag has everyone gagging from nausea, it will be too late. The lucrative College Football train has left the station, and the Jayhawk fanbase is still in bed sleeping.

ShockHawk10 4 years, 10 months ago

Season ticket sales are at an all-time high, students are staying the entire game, and the 2013 recruiting class is shaping up to be one of our best ever. I would suggest that this is infusing life into a fledgeling program. We are four games in, and we have had an opportunity to win all four. Granted the outcomes have been less than desirable, but I see an improved product on the field. This gives this KU alum and fan reason for hope.

Steve Reigle 4 years, 10 months ago

Glen Mason's first KU season: 1-10

Mark Mangino's first KU season: 2-10

4 years, 10 months ago

I remember when Kansas State was considering dropping out of Division I football. It's quite possible that they would have except for the loss in revenue and a new coach named Snyder. I would say that since the midway point of the 09 season, we have easily been just as bad and probably worse.

Kansas football is not Division I football. But as long as the money keeps coming, we will keep this embarrassment on the field playing Division I football. Just no other options. Why would any top talent want to play Jayhawk football?

I realize the negative reaction this post will bring but I am a member of the Alumni Association, I proudly wear my Kansas apparel whenever I can and I contribute to the athletic department annually even if it's a relatively small amount.

I love being a Kansas graduate but the football program is a joke.

bradh 4 years, 10 months ago

Snyder went 1-10 his first year. If you get rid of every coach that doesn't have a winning record, you'll have a new coach every year and never get anywhere. At least we're not getting blown out every game, I just wish either the offense or the defense would show up in the 4th quarter.

Doug Cramer 4 years, 10 months ago

Now ya'll know where I was coming from all summer when I predicted we would only win 3 games.

It's pretty amazing how many people thought we were going to a bowl game this year.

I'm not giving up on Weis. However, if he doesn't make a QB change...then I'll join that camp.

Andy Godwin 4 years, 10 months ago

Only the truly blind followers were predicting a bowl game. Folks, it is generally the same talent as last year with better coaching and player conditioning, but 3 wins seemed doable. But in the end it is about winning. The funny thing is Weis said when he was hired he was happy that Gills' team only one 2 games so the bar was not very high. It sure looks high going into the heart of the Big XII, starting with the team down the road that Charlie also referred to as if they can do it then so should KU. But the difference is Bill Synder is a magician and again will out coach KU.

Dillon Davis 4 years, 10 months ago

K-State has a bye this coming week too and they are just going to murder us. I'm not going to be able to get on twitter or facebook next weekend at all cuz of all those ksu people.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Are you aware that it IS possible to post here without referring to Mark (lost 7 games in a row and can't find a job) Mangino?

Find something new to whine about please.

4 years, 10 months ago

I have consistently enjoyed your evenhanded comments but on this subject, I put the end of that season more on the players then the coach.

There was quite a few players from the previous season, and although highly overrated, just no excuse for losing seven games in a row. It all started with the loss at home to Iowa State. I wish that I knew exactly what transpired. This was the same coach who had just won national honors for coaching.

But the following year was with an entirely (almost anyways) new bunch of players. Mangino should have been given the chance to show what he could do.

Turner Gill? Did anyone really believe that he was up to the job?

But as far as letting it go, you are 100% correct. No matter what side you come down on, time to move on.

Hammertoe 4 years, 10 months ago

Mangino only had one winning season in Big 12 Conference play in 8 years. Is the bar really that low?

741hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I guess so because it's the last time KU football was fun; and, oh by the way, the last time we went to (and we won) a major bowl game.

4 years, 10 months ago

Actually, we had two winning seasons with Mangino. Remember the Insight Bowl? We beat Minnesota 42-21 two finish 8-5. Not the Orange Bowl but still pretty good.

4 years, 10 months ago

Hell..got it wrong also. 3 winning seasons 4 Bowl appearances going 3-1. Those 3 victories account for half our total in KU history. 50-48 overall 4-4 against Kansas State and Missouri. Probably the most successful period in KU history.

FTC_Jayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Nope. Just one. You misread the comment to which you are replying.

Steve Reigle 4 years, 10 months ago

The only way I can agree with this about "who needs the Orange Bowl anyway?" comment is if that's Mangino's final year at Kansas. However, his record was going downhill from there. For 2008: 8-5. For 2009: 5-7. Still better than this year but remember Mangino's first season here his record was 2-10. It takes time to rebuild the disaster Gill left us. The team is definitely improved. Not as much as I'd like, but definitely improved. It will take time. Have some patience.

Carl Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

for me to judge Weis, I'm holding him to his own words. He made a comment about young WRs, saying you can't be afraid to bench the senior if the other guy gets it done better. Well, Crist looks lost, and slow. Bench him, give somebody else a shot. He may (or may not) look great in practice, but he can't handle the game at game speed. Done.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 10 months ago

Allen was bad, but Mangino was worse his first year. We went from 3-8 to 2-10 when Mangino took over - and then to a bowl game (pasting) in year 2. Maybe patience was/is a virtue.

Hammertoe 4 years, 10 months ago

Mangino only had one winning season in the Big 12 in 8 years of coaching.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm confused! Webb is great but Turner Gill was going to replace him with Cummings?

One more thing; three short years ago, KU was 5-0 before the Lew Perkins witch hunt turned the season into a circus!

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

Webb did that against the worst team. WSU is 1-3 too

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

Webb did that against the worst team. Colorado is 1-3 too

s6u6r6f 4 years, 10 months ago

I live far away, so no TV, no radio, no online streaming: only a slow espn gamecast, which made the loss take even longer. This was painful. At this point, Charlie's comparatively worse than Turner Gill. And his weight is reminiscent of the Mangina.. Let's get him! C'mon people, bring the torches and pitchforks! Our standards have been lessened! This is Kansas football! Oh, and nazis. Sigh. Rock chalk.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 10 months ago

espn streamed the game. It's even available on replay.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

espn3 is not available in most countries outside USA

s6u6r6f 4 years, 10 months ago

As Saguaro correctly alludes, my location prevents such streaming, either live or replayed.

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 10 months ago

I honestly can't believe the majority of the comments from all of you Homers. We're four games into a new coach's tenure and you are ready to fire him?

Mark Mangino's first year here we were 2-10 with our only wins coming against SW Missouri State and Tulsa and notable losses against UNLV, Bowling Green and EVERY Conference opponent.

Do we stink this year - yes, yes we do. There is no denying that. Look what happened, though. We were a horrible program and a when the new coach came in a number of players left (which everyone expected - go review some of Tait's columns).

HCCW has competed at a very high level and trust me, he has more football knowledge in his big toe than most of you Sunday morning armchair quarterbacks. For any new head coach, there is going to be a couple of years getting HIS program in place, which includes his recruits and his philosphy. I know it's going to be rough, but you got to give him some time.

Dayne Crist - that might be another story. I was at the game - he looks uncomfortable in the pocket, makes bad decisions, and isn't that accurate. For those that don't think Weiss has the ability to bench him - why did HCCW put Matthews in at QB for about 10 snaps?

Give it some time and quit being armchair quarterbacks.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 10 months ago

Charlie did the right thing when he recruited Crist and anointed him the starter from day one. It gave the program promise, it gave the team leadership and it gave the fans hope. Now it's time to move on!

Charlie can sleep well at night knowing he gave Crist a chance at redemption but it just didn't work out. EVERYTHING ELSE, besides the kicking game, has improved. If Charlie is thinking with his head and not his heart, it's time to change the QB. His post game comments hint that any hope Crist might "round the corner" are fading!

three2b 4 years, 10 months ago

+100

I am one that checks this site regularly for the articles. Very rarely do I post anything, but I can't even read what you so called "fans" have to say. Yes there is obviously work to be done, but I am confident that Coach Weis is the best fit for the job. We're talking about turning around a program that has been at the bottom of our conference for a few years now, and most people on this board seem to think they have the answers and could do the job overnight. True fans see improvement in the product on the field and will be there to support this challenging process. As a fan, I will keep showing up in the stadium on Saturday and cheering for my beloved Alma Mater and let coaches do their job.

Rock Chalk!

HawkTronic 4 years, 10 months ago

Excuse me, but it's “you're,” not "your". As in: “Your grammar is terrible, you're going to need a better education.”

jhox 4 years, 10 months ago

Crist simply isn't accurate, and we seem way to quick to abandon the run. No wonder the offense stinks. Also, Taylor Cox is a guy who seems to make yards out of nothing yet, now, with Sims back he gets only 3 carries (did he get hurt?) I was travelling and didn't get to watch the game but did try to keep up with the plays on ESPN's gamecast and it seemed like every play update began with either "Crist incomplete" or "Crist sacked".

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes. Cox was banged up on his third carry.

Mike Barnhart 4 years, 10 months ago

For god sakes man, name some names! Administrators, administrators, administrators... You're a broken record. Lew Perkins was fired! We'd have burned him at the stake if we could. Turn the page already!!!!

Chayse Patrick 4 years, 10 months ago

Bville Hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO CRITICIZE WEIS AND CRIST, WAKE UP! IT HAS TO START SOMEWHERE. I'M SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE JUMPING ON THEM BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT KU WAS GOING TO GO UNDEFEATED AND WIN A NATIONAL TITLE. THEY ARE GREAT FOR KU! I'M TIRED OF HEARING "MAN, WEIS AND CRIST COULDN'T DO IT AT NOTRE DAME" blah, blah, blah........ SHUTUP! IT'S YOU GUYS CAUSING KU FOOTBALL TO BE LIKE THIS AND YOU BETTER NOT RUIN IT. KU LOOKS VERY IMPROVED. WEIS IS BY FAR THE BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO KU, HE MIGHT NOT OF BEEN GOOD FOR THE NOTRE DAMES, MICHIGAN'S AND TEXAS OF THE WORLD BUT HE'S GREAT FOR KU. WHAT DO YOU MORONS EXPECT? "WELL MANGINO........" SHUTUP! THAT WAS FOREVER AGO AND BESIDES IT'S YOU GUYS THAT COST HIM HIS JOB! " WELL WEBB AND GILL NEVER GOT A CHANCE........." SHUTUP! I'VE NEVER SEEN TERRIBLE FOOTBALL UNTIL HE ARRIVED, EVERY GAME LOOKED LIKE PLAYGROUND FOOTBALL. WEIS HAS STRATEGY AND IS MORE ORGANIZED. YOU HAVE TO BE PATIENT! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO AT LEAST A GOOD 5 YEARS WITH WEIS AND I'LL BE HAPPY IF WERE JUST 500 IN THOSE YEARS, ALL OF YOU ARE BAND WAGONERS AND STARTED BEING A FAN WITH THE ORANGE BOWL TEAM AND YOU EXPECT THAT EVERY YEAR, AND KEEP IN MIND THEY HAD AN EASY SCHEDULE. AND REESING WAS NOT THE GREATEST QB UNDER MANGINO, IT'S WHITTEMORE! I'VE SEEN KU GO THROUGH THE S**T YEARS WHEN THEY WERE 1-10 AND THE KSU/KU GAME WAS CONSIDER THE TOLIET BOWL. SO SHUT YOUR MOUTHS, GRIN AND BEAR IT AND IT WILL WORK OUT IN TIME. I GOT YOUR BACK WEIS AND CRIST!!!! RCJH!

Ethan Berger 4 years, 10 months ago

Please don't ever post in all caps again.

jhasseartcile96 4 years, 10 months ago

ChicagoHawkMAtt gets it and I agree! I listened to the game on the local broadcast (being from CHicago) and the announcers mentioned the road losing streak and how 1 player mentioned road games were like funerals. Gill had such a loser menality that it is going to take a few years to eradciate that. I think it is more mental then physical, thier is a lot of physical due to the talent gap, but it is mental. Baby steps. Do I think Wies will lead us to an Orange Bowl, more then likely no, do I think he makes us relevant enough to compete and setup his successor in 5-7 years and take the next step...for sure.

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

How do you define competitive? Beating NIU and Rice? Gil was a bad hire but the cupboard was pretty bare after Reesing, Meier and Company left. It was going to be a tough few years for whoever took over. I wonder if Weis is the right guy to coach college players. He stated out well at ND with the previous coach's p,Yers and got progressively worse. He was OC at Florida last year and was terrible. I think he took the KU job to run from something. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on after next year.

jhasseartcile96 4 years, 10 months ago

By competittve I want us to be upper Big XII, challeneging to win, are we OU and Texas, no, can we be Okie St, K-State and TCU..YES! And that should be every year. If we can consistenty be in that group then we should be fine.

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks - agree with your assessment as well.

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

BULL S**T! YOU CAN'T CONTINUE TO SEARCH FOR A COACH, CAUSE EVERY TIME YOU DO YOU CAN MARK DOWN REBUILDING/LOSING FOR A GOOD THREE YEARS. BUT I'M SURE YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT CAUSE YOU'RE A FAN AND YOU KNOW FOOTBALL. SO IN OTHER WORDS I WANT KU TO WIN AND YOU WANT KU TO LOSE!

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 10 months ago

LOL - All caps doesn't mean we are going to listen to you any more than anyone else, it just means that we might think you are a psycho.

jhasseartcile96 4 years, 10 months ago

I give you Mark Mangino's record, need realistic expectations

Year

Team

Overall

Conference

Standing

Bowl/playoffs

Coaches#

AP°

Kansas Jayhawks (Big 12 Conference) (2002–2009)

2002

1–7

6th (North)

Kansas:

50–48

23–41

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

and keep in mind the Big12 north was an easy schedule. The schedule Weis has to go through is by far tougher.

Chayse Patrick 4 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't matter if the north was easy or the south was easy or vice-versa yada yada yada. THE FACT IS COACHES ARE PAID MILLIONS TO WIN MILLIONS I SAY so going in to a season with the mindset to showcase some PATHETIC so-called 5 star QB hopefully to an nfl contract is totally ignorant!!!! Weis has had 3 games to put in better QB's but he hasn't done it. Now with the cupcakes games gone it's too late in the game to expect any good changes so Weis better accept that bitter pill he has to swallow.

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for posting. There is a lot of revisionist history. Take away the magical season of 2007 and you will see that Mangino had zero winning conference seasons. He elevated the program from 11th or 12th in the Big 12 to maybe 7th or 8th. He took us to four bowls which was great, but these were lowest of low tier bowls. Any bowl game played before Christmas hardly qualifies as a bowl and tow of the four bowls were played before Christmas.

What's bad today is that we have one less non conference game and have to play everyone in conference. So there is no easy path to a major bowl like we had in 2007.

vd 4 years, 10 months ago

With Manginno's recruits as Srs.?

Nealyo 4 years, 10 months ago

Let go of it man. Who cares what Gill did. Hes not here.... Move on.

Kevin Crook 4 years, 10 months ago

If it's true that Weis only plans to coach five seasons then the ONLY reason you hire him is because you think he can help us to win NOW. Otherwise in year three how does he get a recruit to commit? I don't think anyone thought we could be more than maybe 4-8 at the very best this year. It certainly looks like 1-11 now. The score against KSU will be whatever Snyder wants it to be. He could beat us by 100 if he desires. So with no real future ahead of us with Weis, and the present being awful, I can honestly predict that our present AD will regret this hire in a few years when he's selling insurance and teaching night school at a junior college...

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

I understand the frustration. Part of the reason for the frustration is that Charlie Weis set high expectations in Year 1. That is the reason he brought Christ in. He had some people believing we could win 6 games. He would have been better off building for the future by playing Cummings or someone who would be around for a few years.

I don't see how anyone can say this team is better. The offense clearly is worse. The specialty teams are worse. We used to get some decent kick off returns and the kicking game still sucks. The only bright spot is forcing turnovers on defense. But the defense is giving up chucks of yards. Do you really think this defense will stop high power Big 12 offenses?

The hiring of Charlie Weis is on Zenger. He kept the media talking about KU football after the hire, but did he really get someone who will elevate the program? Weis said and did all the right things in the off season, but his play calling has been questionable and, again, he set unreasonable expectations for this year by bringing in 5th year player who are only here for one year.

We may end up getting bailed out because I could see Weis getting frustrated and leave in the next two years. That might be best for both parties,

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

You don't get it, Zenger made a great hire. If not Charlie then WHO? It's KU, the best coach KU can ever hire are assistants or a coach from a small school. Nobody want's this job and you have your buddy Bob Fredrick to thank for that. CHARLIE IS DOING US THE FAVOR! THANK YOU CHARLIE!

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

I do get it and time will tell who is right. I have been following KU sports for 45 years so I think I have some perspective. There is no right way to pick a coach and we will see if this was the right move. I have been skeptical from the beginning. This was a risky hire. Outside of Lawrence, most people panned the pick. You have to admit, based on his track record at Florida and ND, it would be hard to make a case that he will turn the program around.

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

You don't get it, He's not good for ND or Florida but he's GREAT for KU! Let's make easier for you to understand, it's like KSU hiring Bob Huggins it's GREAT for KSU but would be OKAY for KU. Don't give me the 45 year stuff, I've heard it all before and I've been a fan for 25 years, so what

Kevin Crook 4 years, 10 months ago

He's got name recognition, but he has shown to be a little out of touch with the college game. His play calling is a prime example of that. Has anyone ever heard of Roy Williams or Bill Snyder? Two assistant coaches. I'd say Zenger will be fired when Weis retires in five years...

KUMC84 4 years, 10 months ago

I think it's 1timbob that doesn't get it. HCCW came in saying how he could do better than Gill and had better talent he was going to bring in, including 5 fifth year seniors and a bunch of juco players. Our former QB is u=putting up better stats and at least has beaten a BCS coference team. We don't have a FBS win yet. HCCW quotes in the KC Star (sorry, but read that paper as well) today reflect his attitude that a win is his accomplishment and a loss is because he doesn't have the players, including a backup QB that has enough talent to play. He'll lost his players faster than Mangino did and constantly be looking to bring in players that he judges fit his NFL profile. Unfortunately, he still won't be competitive with these players while the coach down the road wins with lowly recruited players. The opposing coach from Saturday would have looked great in crimson and blue. We'll stand a better chance of winning when we have a coach like that who gets average players to perform and coaches up the team. I can't see how we're better than last season under Gill when we haven't beaten a FBS game yet and we haven't even played a BCS conference team yet.

FCCoHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Just my two cents...I agree with everyone, Crist must sit. A 5 start QB should hit Pick when he is that wide open, no matter how surprised he is. He is simply just not making the plays and as much as Coach Weis wants to support him, Crist must take most of the blame. Yes, our OL is not the best (I couldn't believe on one play a guy just came in right past our R Guard, untouched!) and he has to hurry, but QBs like Cummings can scramble and buy some time. It is frustrating because if Crist would have performed as well as we all think Webb would have if he was here (not saying Webb is the saviour, but I do believe he would have been doing better than Crist), we would be 3-1, have confidence and showing some improvement in the program. I would rather see a younger QB in to take the reps and get the experience at this point. Crist was supposed to be a strong point for the team this year and it hasn't worked out that way, so move onbecause that is the best for the team. Crist really has not shown much improvement in my opinion. If it was just working out the rust I would expect much more in game four, period.

I do think the program is better and headed in the right direction. I have no experience with playing football, but from what I read, the program under Gill was a joke. It seems Coach Weis has corrected some of that, but it will take time for wins, it always does in turning around a program. It is just frustrating when the opportunity for wins is there and then lost because of bad execution. I am not sure how Snyder does it down the road, but KSU teams are always so fundamentally sound, even when they were rebuilding. Why can we not be that way?

In what I saw of the game yesterday (early part) our tackling seemed better, still some missed ones, but that seemed better. Sims had some good runs. I can't explain Coach Weis' reliance on the pass so much, a definite factor in the losses, but it seemed early he mixed it up more. Just trying to have some positives.

Bottom line is we need to be patient. So far this year we have had opportunities to win all 4 of our games, which is a step in the right direction. We all got a taste of a good football program with the Orange Bowl win and want to get back to that quickly, patience is hard to have in our situation.

It will be a very hard decision for Coach Weis, but Crist must sit and give one of the backups a chance. Besides, that could throw a wrinkle in for the KSU game that might make it competitive for a quarter. In a season that started with such optimism, it has sure turned to a season of high frustration quickly.

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh I'm sure that Crist cost us the game because he missed Pick. Maybe it was because it was 4th and 18. Or maybe it was that NIU's bobbled snap where he shot putted the football to a receiver to go for a TD

hawkshot 4 years, 10 months ago

The best coach in this game was on NIU's sideline. Where was that again he wanted to coach?

Cody Riedy 4 years, 10 months ago

Posted this on another page, but this board is more active... If our backup QBs are so mobile, why not let them run the wildcat that way they can get game experience, actually add the threat of a pass to the wildcat, and not necessarily immediately pull Crist without seeing what the other guys look like in an actual game. Is it too much extra practice or things to learn for the backups to be able to run the wildcat? Or do they just not want to intentionally run our "real" QBs?

wildjayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone have Gill's cell number? Bring back M. Mangino.

kupopp 4 years, 10 months ago

I was proud to attend the Orange Bowl, BUT something happened during the 7 game losing streak. I challenge you, CHALLENGE YOU, to get a film of the KSU game, I believe the second game of that streak, and look at the body language of our bench in the second half. With the Jayhawks down one score it was obvious that the players wanted to be somewhere else- at a time when they should be fired up. Something happened in the locker room at half time. I told my wife during that half that Mangino had done something to alienate the team. He needed to go.

Cody Riedy 4 years, 10 months ago

Mangino was on his way to getting fired anyways. Yes, we were getting to bowl games, which crappy bowls or not is better than nothing, but outside of the one season where we didn't have to play any of the other good Big XII teams, he never had a winning conference record. We were competitive with the other bottom feeders, which again, is better than nothing. But even with the great Reesing and Meier combo, etc, the team got worse two straight seasons after the Orange Bowl run. Even with that combo, KU was on a 7 games losing streak and had just finished a 1 conference win season win Mangino got fired. The timing of the firing was right, Mangino had got us on the map, but the team had already peaked under him. The problem was that we didn't hire an upgrade to try to take KU up to the next level of consistent competitiveness. We know what happened with the last hire.

1timbob 4 years, 10 months ago

Here goes the Mangino stuff again! Guys, he was an average coach that had an easy schedule every two years with one of those years being the 07 team winning the orange bowl. When they played the tougher south teams the next 2 years they failed. They failed with almost the same team who won the orange bowl.

okiedave 4 years, 10 months ago

Weis promised Crist a starting job before he even took a snap of a KU football. Webb was told he was a backup before Weis even watched him perform (obviously, Webb's experience and year of maturity has paid some dividends for Colorado, but Crist was the man). Webb has to honor his committment to Crist. Weis has to realize Crist is not a passing quarterback in pressure situations. Crist does hand the ball off very well. Weis -- use our strength. Run, Run, Run, see Sims Run, see Cox run, see everybody run. run, run, run.

okiedave 4 years, 10 months ago

oooppps. Weis has to honor his commitment to Crist.

okiedave 4 years, 10 months ago

caveat: The above comments are speculative in nature only and represent the personal opinions of the author based upon between the lines speculation of articles recalled.

Sam Walters 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm new to these threads and had to comment because of some of the negativity towards our team. For those of you keeping things in perspective, thank you. People we are four games in to the CW and if you can't see improvement, well then friends, you are oblivious to the game of football. Anyone that says Gill and Webb(!?!?!, really???) would have this program in better hands right now should be sent to columbia, mizzery to live for a year! That was darkest age of KU football I've ever witnessed in my 29 years of life. Please take it back, please! I'm a life-long KU fan (yes, all sports) and could only be more optomisitic towards the future had we beat Rice and NIU, but we didn't, so we need to move on and continue to see improvement. For all of you "sky-is-falling" and "bandwagon" fans, please don't come running back to heap on praise if we have improved so much by the end of the season we are beating teams like Baylor, ISU, and TTU late in the season. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but by that time I expect this team to be capable of playing a complete game. On second thought, you can come back, just eat your humble pie. RCJ!

kellerman411 4 years, 10 months ago

Thank you, anyone who has any crontrol over this team (admin, boosters, etc.) agrees with you. We've had a chance in every game so far. That NIU team at home would have beat Gill's team by 30.

Brian Skelly 4 years, 10 months ago

People need to quit with the "We should have never fired Mangino" stuff. Why? Because does anyone remember the years PRIOR to him placing Reesing in at QB? It didnt look a whole hell of a lot different the what we've seen the past 2 years and 4 games this year. It was garbage. Yes, we all get 'misty eyed' over the Orange Bowl stuff. But why? That's done and not coming back.

If Dayne Crist were merely the competence level of Jordan Webb we'd be 2-2, with an outside shot of 3-1. There is no grey area here. Crist has been horrific. If your as stiff and as immobile of guy as he is, you'd better be accurate and/or strong armed. He strikes me as neither really. Yes, the receiving core isnt good, so that plays into this. How many times can you air mail balls though? He makes at least 2-3 wildly inaccurate throws on hooks and curls every game. How is that possible? Isnt that basic QBing stuff?

I keeping thinking one of these games he'll "get it together" (whatever the hell that means), and we'll pull an upset. But does anyone here see us winning another game? We're simply paying more for losses at this point.

My only 'hope' is that with an AD who's actually committed to football we'll eventually turn the corner. I hope it's while Weiss' is still here when it happens.

Sam Walters 4 years, 10 months ago

You need to go back and somehow watch tape of Jordan Weeb play QB at Kansas. He was, without question, the WORST quarterback to ever start under center for a Big 12 team. Crsit takes lots of sacks, I'll give you that, but he is at least looking for receivers. Webb would take the snap and roll one direction until his roll turned into a full on sprint towards the sideline and throw some weak @$$ crap at the receivers feet eight yards down the field. Crist is a QB, not a great one, but he can read a defense and go through progressions. This offense is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the past two seasons.

kellerman411 4 years, 10 months ago

One made tackle against Rice and one stop against NIU, and all of you are singing a different song.... We've had some tough losses this year but the product on the field is much better...

And how can any of you even talk about recruiting after the week KU has had. We have landed two fabulous recruits, one out of the state of mississippi!!

Jeff Suther 4 years, 10 months ago

Dont remember who bashed me last week for saying crist over throws the deep ball every time but ur officially an idiot. Crist seems like a nice guy but he is the worst thing that could of happened to ku this year. Jordan webb WOULD have done a better job than crist is doing. This season is over. Bill Sellf would you just land a 5r star for next year already so we can be happy about something!

troutsee 4 years, 10 months ago

Totally agree. I have been saying that since the SDSU game. This guy does not have it.

FCCoHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I am not saying that Webb is a better QB than Crist. Crist has been a disappointment and for all the hype he isn't near what was advertised. Why? I don't know. Long lay off, OL, being too nervous, it really doesn't matter. I was excited about him before the season and it just hasn't panned out. I do believe we would have won with Webb, but maybe not. Who knows and it really doesn't matter. We have to work with what we have. Part of being a good coach is giving your players the opportunity to perform and not having them on a short leash so they are not nervous they will get yanked with one bad play. It is also adapting to situations that present themselves in the game or season. This is one. Crist is just not working out. With an off week, it would be nice to have one of the backups a little more prepared to perform against KSU b/c our QB will need to scramble against their rush and Crist doesn't move well. I just have not seen a lot of improvement of Crist in the weeks he has been QB, let's move on to another to see if that helps. Four games, with one against one Big XII team, I would expect more out of Crist if he is as good as advertised. Competition will increase a notch with Big XII play coming and if Crist is looking hurried now, what will he be with quicker, bigger defenses? Build for the future. Make the change while you have an off week.

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

This forum has equal numbers of naysayers, blinded loyalists and those in the middle who are observing the development of this team. Four games does not make a season but right now we are projected to win one game this year. We will not be favored in any Big 12 game. I hold out hope for an upset or two somewhere along the way but I, like many people here know that the easy games are behind us. There is not excuse for KU to lose to Rice and NIU regardless of the talent and the coaching. Rice has won one game. I doubt NIU is as good admit was last year. Maybe you have to take a few steps back to move forward. I didn't think we could take any steps back.

FCCoHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Another topic for discussion is our kicking game. It has been a huge disappointment. The accuracy of kicking a field goal is one thing, but it would seem that we could find someone with a strong enough leg to kick it to the goal line on kick offs since you just need to keep it between the lines. KSU has a great return team and we are potentially in a lot of trouble during the game in two weeks. I am not sure how much coaching will make a difference in the field goal kicking but when you are missing extra points (even if it was from 10yds further back), that is not good. Any idea on recruits for the kicking position? Punting seems fine.

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

By the way on another topic, and I know this goes back to Perkins, but how did our program sink so low that we are playing a road game at a MAC team in front of 18,000 fans. That's embarrassing. Not only did we lose the game, I'm sure we lost a bunch of money as well.

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 10 months ago

To all of you Homer's that keep talking about bringing Mangino back:

I loved having Mangino. He did great things for the program. Hate that he was let go.

That said - he's gone. Period. End of story. I live here in Chicago and you guys are sounding like the Bears fans that for the last 27 years have re-lived the 1985 Superbowl.

Move on.

Turner Gill is gone.

Move on.

Charlie Weis is our Coach.

Support HIM and his PLAYERS!!

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 10 months ago

Were fine. Patience, grasshoppers. This season will be a frustrating one since our record won't reflect our improvement. We've got some solid coaches (Sure Weis isn't the best play caller, but he brings some stuff to the table, mainly recruiting), as well as some players on the sidelines this year to get excited about for next year.

Apparently when Charlie said there was "no magic wand" some of you only heard "magic wand".

Sure, KSU will beat us at football this year. Whoop de do! Sounds like business as usual, to me. Well, till Snyder retires again...

stinkybulldog 4 years, 10 months ago

Robert Brock 4 years, 10 months ago

Meh. The Hawks won't really improve until we get some new players. Better players. LOTS of better players. Not an overnight task.

Jacob Zutterman 4 years, 10 months ago

For all of those who say we haven't improved, you are wrong. This is a much better team than last year. With that being said, I believe we SHOULD be 3-1 or even 4-0. A team that very well could've been a bowl team. This drive the ball the length of the field with a 70/30 run to pass ratio only to get in the redzone and end the drive on 3 straight passes, needs to stop. Don't fix what ain't broken! I was very optimisitc about our season this year and especially about Crist....it's been a pure disappointment. I will continue to watch our games, but it's going to be another long rebuilding year. Rock Chalk!

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

By that logic, we could have been 5-7 last year and Turner Gill would still be our coach. We could have beaten Baylor, Tech and ISU last year. All those games were closer than the TCU game.

texashawk10 4 years, 10 months ago

By his logic, KU should've been 6-6 because with any offensive production KU beats Missouri last year as well.

Curtis Stutz 4 years, 10 months ago

As C-H-M said above, get over Mangino, get over GIll, this is our coaching staff. We've seen that these guys are capable of bringing in some talent, and I believe that Campo is a very capable defensive coordinator. They're gonna be at KU for at least a couple more years, deal with it. Webb is gone, don't know exactly what happened behind the scenes, obviously having a new guy brought in that is expected to take your starting spot is upsetting, he left, best of luck to him at CU, not on the roster so he's not coming back in. Yes we all expected more of Crist and he's not showing it. He is taking some hits in the backfield and I don't see him whining about pass protection in interviews, so kudos to him for that. At least he knows he's missing some big pass plays and hasn't acted like a prima donna. KSU is probably a great opportunity to go with Matthews at QB with Crist out of the game and see if the offense can do anything. Playing Crist against KSU's defense seems like a bad idea. What's the worst that can happen if KU runs option all day against KSU? Best case Weis can make the offense work with Matthews back there, worst case a loss everyone is expecting. If Weis sticks with Crist, he's the coach and hopefully he knows what he's doing.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 10 months ago

This isn't exactly adding anything to the discussion...

Bville Hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

You embarrass yourself every time you lay your hands on a keyboard but yet you continue to do it. Go figure.

machinegun 4 years, 10 months ago

Jack Harry is a jerk. Coach Charlie Weis and his staff are turning this program around after the Preacher nearly destroyed it. After I met the coaching staff, I knew that they were a cut above starting with the head man, Charlie Weis!

Naysayers can cry about the losses all they want. The front runners are never satisfied anyway. Our team is making progress. I am going to support those guys no matter what happens rain or shine, win or lose. I know how hard the coaches and players are working. I am not bailing out on them.

shufly 4 years, 10 months ago

KU was what? 116 th best team last year, the fans 150th. This team has risen to the 80s and the fans to 130? Charlie needs to at least experiment. Mangino resisted replacing a "stud" QB with an undersized one. Crist has the talent but isn't a gamer - "practice star". I'm happy with the improvement and excited with direction we're going. Next year will be even better. Hell of a job Charlie in just 10 months.

Robert Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

Aren't results on the field the best barometer to measure success? We got beat by a MAC and mid level CUSA team. That should never happen.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 10 months ago

Considering not all schedules are created equal, I wouldn't say results on the field are the best indicator to gauge success; you inevitably are comparing it to another team or a different season. Either way, there are too many variables to say "we're worse than last year because our record says so".

Besides, how can you deem a program as a success or a failure after the fourth game, with a coach who wasn't even here the whole offseason?

KUMC84 4 years, 10 months ago

I would agree if we weren't lead to believe we upgraded the talent level at QB, the defensive line and had a good group of WR's and CB's. I haven't seen the talent evaluation or coaching players up the way were were expecting. Our season hasn't compared to others yet. The only BCS team was a listless TCU team that it's coach said was sleepwalking.

Bee Bee 4 years, 10 months ago

Only at KU do 5 star players play like1 star players. Amazing.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 10 months ago

Crist hasn't been considered a 5 star since like his first 15 minutes on a college campus... You think Notre Dame would bench him if he performed at the promised 5 star level?

BayPark 4 years, 10 months ago

What is the problem with our recruiting when NIU can trot out QBs who are head and shoulders above anything we have.

Ben Kliewer 4 years, 10 months ago

After over 100 years of Football we have, in essence, one significant season five years ago and people act like we should be demanding a prestigious football dynasty. Have any of you watched KU football for more than five years? I doubt any of you were in the half empty stadium with my family when we were beating Mizzou in the late 90s. We were beating Mizzou... in football... in a half empty stadium. We had one random year where we had the softest of Big 12 schedules and lucked into the Orange Bowl. Yet we want to complain and raise Mangino up as the Messiah we crucified. And we can realistically look at how Gill did, in fact, put the program down, but let's be honest with ourselves, it was in a nosedive as it was. But y'all need to be realistic. We are not football elite. We don't "win in other sports besides basketball." That's pretty much all we have. Maybe volleyball, maybe track, maybe even soccer. But not football. Take a break from fantasy and come back to reality. Weis is trying to do something, and maybe he will, maybe he won't. But you all sound like a bunch of babies who are completely detached from reality when you talk about this team as if we're supposed to be better than we are. Wake up, we're not better than that. Except for one fluke season, we never have been. What team are you guys imagining that we've been? I've never seen it, and I've apparently been paying way more attention than most of you.

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 10 months ago

It wasn't enough that we have goofballs typing in All-caps. Now they are making the all-caps bold and huge...........and not really adding anything to the discussion.

wildjayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Better bring back M. Mangino, before Snyder retires and Kansas ST. gets him, then KU will really be kicking themselves in the ASS.

tical523 4 years, 10 months ago

I just cant buy that the reason we lost to NIU and Rice is because we need to recruit better players. We have far better talent than those teams NOW. I do not know if it is because of the coaching turnover or what but it can not be talent, size, speed or rivals rankings because come on, NIU Huskies. . . .do they have a rivals site? We may need to recruit better for the big xii but not for the non-con schedule, not buying it.

KUMC84 4 years, 10 months ago

Agree completely. That's where it comes down to coaching. A coach who wanted to be our coached outcoached a high priced coach we ended up with.

jayhawkarmy 4 years, 10 months ago

Do we have a backup QB? If so who and why don't we throw him in there to try and spark some passing offence? Shoot who knows it might be what we need look at that year we did with Todd and he became a stud!!!

johnnyhrdwd 4 years, 10 months ago

No way, this is a Dayne Crist feel good story.

Ben Kliewer 4 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps. Although, it's hard to tell exactly who is feeling good at this point.

Jayhawks1985 4 years, 10 months ago

Is there no one on here has a heart!

Crist was hurt and then sat on the bench most of the time give the poor guy a chance. He could have some real potential to be a good quarterback.

Practice is a whole different thing than an actual game, there's no stress.

I'd like to see you run a mile after you haven't in a couple of years.

HAWKS1 4 years, 10 months ago

I am obviously no expert. It does seem to me, though, that having the Head Coach also serve as the Offensive Coordinator is normally a loser's bet. There is too much administration and overview required of a head coach for him to be a truly effective offensive (or defensive) coordinator as well. (there have been exceptions, but most often I believe this is true). Coach Weis seems to make major changes in his play calling once we get into the Red Zone. It seems to me that he reverts back to his NFL thinking when the pressure is on (can certainly understand that since that is where the majority of his training has occurred). I think the running game can work better in college in the red zone than in the pros, even as the field shrinks.Coach Weis seems to abandon running when the field shrinks -much like what most coaches seem to do in the NFL. This is my personal observation....but what do I know ha! I still have faith in Coach Weis and hope we can turn it around sooner rather than later....but come on, we gotta give the man some time!

Brad Watson 4 years, 10 months ago

Lets keep the faith people...we all knew this season was going to be very tough considering our league and the material we have...we have lost 3 games...2 we had chances to win ...thats competitive football....yeah I wish we were 3-1......but we are playing hard and still learning the system...which takes a year or two....I think we are going to have a breakout game...like Colorado did this week at some point....maybe Oct.27th..against the hated Horns....Buy your season tickets now...its going to really be fun as we all see this team slowly get better and we start winning ...because we will....Weis can coach and recruit...this is going to be an NFL pipeline for qbs and recievers...give it time....PATIENCE MY FRIENDS......PATIENCE

John Fitzgerald 4 years, 10 months ago

I think Weis is doing a good job. But, I think he made a deal with Crist, and at this point has to continue with his end of the bargain. I like Crist, and think he CAN be really good, but hasn't had the time to do so. He was given up on in ND which set him back quite some time. And In order for us to turn around our players need to believe in themselves instead of just Charlie Weis. It's great that he's here and he's obviously made positive changes, but our team lacks a bit of arrogance that I think is holding us back from finishing off games. And I agree to split time with another QB. Try Cummings for a few snaps or even have them each split halfs. The fact is, Weis is here to make the University of Kansas better not just one player. if I were Weis this would be my conversation with Crist: "Ya know Dayne, you're a great kid and you have a crap load of talent. And I understand you've been dealt a pretty difficult hand, but KSU is your last chance. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, and it's up to you to make that decision. I'll do what I can to prepare you, but I suggest you get your head straight, deal with whatever fear you have, open your damn eyes, and play some football before you make that choice." As far as strategy to make him better, I think we need to throw more screens. Even if his passes aren't big gains, completions are what will make him better. Short easy passes, then pound the run. If our offense was nearly as impressive as our defense we'd have 4 wins right now and be ranked in the top 25. And watching Crist you can tell he has some sort of fear out there. He knows this is his last chance and I think it's a burden on him. Best way to get over your fear is to face it. I think Weis telling him to his face this is his last shot and that he needs to do EVERYTHING he can to make it count will make the ultimate difference. And, if it doesn't work out, bring on matthews or cummings. Again, it's about the team not just the player. Either way I still have faith and always will. Give Weis at least 3 years to make a difference. RCJH!!!

beebe1 4 years, 10 months ago

Why doesn't anyone suspect the Defense scheme? Our Defense Scheme is NO GOOD!

In SDS game Weis mentioned a kickoff return to the 24 yd line. That was their Worst return. Typically they got to the 38 yd line +-! Either Rice or TCU got to the KU 48 yd line. Everyone did well against us. How much evidence do you need to understand Bowen can't coach DEFENSE!

Our kickoff return --TCU kicked it to about the 4 yard line, three times in a row -- right in front of me! We ran it back -- all the way to the 11-16 yd line! How much evidence do you need to understand Bowen can't coach Offense either!

Bowen/Campo concede 5-8 yds on Every Pass. Well, it is about 5-10 yds better than the last two years. It takes about 3 to get a first and 10.

Campo claims to understand "The Notre Dame Defense", but he worries about them catching the ball behind you. Wrong. The ND Defense is man-to-man, an 'adjustment' of the Self Defense. Except it was 'invented' before any of you were born -- maybe Campo may have been 8 or 9. You CAN'T defend a pass from behind the receiver! You have to be in the passing lane -- a line from the ball to the receiver. When you are in his face, intercept, deflect, bat down the ball BEFORE it gets to the receiver!

The DC calls out each man's opponent by the Defensive play called -- unless he was smart enough to line them up the week before the game: our best defender against their best receiver -- for all 4 receivers. There are 6 players eligible to carry/receive the ball. That leaves the QB and his protector with 2 more assignments to make, depending on the play.

The problem with the other guy coming from behind is NOT tiring players. What did the DC call to protect our lead? Cover 2? Prevent? Whatever it was was no daxx good. The DC's calls have been bad news for about 9 years.

We haven't had a good DC since Mangino came, maybe before. Mangino intervened when Bowen and our other guy were co-coordinators. He improved thing some. But we hoped you would bring in an expert. No luck.

Zenger was a great supporter of Weis - many were. But you have blown it -- BIG!. Discuss it with Zenger. Get a solution. Solve the problem NOW! We can't afford another financial disaster in less than 3 years!