Friday, September 21, 2012

KUsports.com staff’s Week 4 college football picks

KUSports.com college football staff picks.

KUSports.com college football staff picks.

The following are the Journal-World staffers' picks for Week 4 of the college football season.

Week 4 games

Kansas at Northern Illinois

Kansas State at Oklahoma

Missouri at South Carolina

Michigan at Notre Dame

Marshall at Rice

Lehigh at Liberty

Off-the-Wall Question: What's a TV show that I might be surprised that you watch?

Associate sports editor Drew Hartsock (13-5 overall, 5-1 last week)

Northern Illinois 35, Kansas 31

Oklahoma 42, Kansas State 38

South Carolina 55, Missouri 52

Michigan 45, Notre Dame 42

Rice 6, Marshall 3

Lehigh 49, Liberty 14

Question: "Chopped."

Sports editor Tom Keegan (12-6 overall, 3-3 last week)

Kansas 38, Northern Illinois 35

Oklahoma 42, Kansas State 35

South Carolina 42, Missouri 28

Michigan 14, Notre Dame 10

Rice 25, Marshall 24

Lehigh 34, Liberty 20

Question: "Cold Case Files."

Sports copy editor Nick Gerik (12-6 overall, 3-3 last week)

Kansas 35, Northern Illinois 27

Oklahoma 24, Kansas State 21

South Carolina 28, Missouri 17

Notre Dame 35, Michigan 15

Marshall 33, Rice 30

Lehigh 25, Liberty 13

Question: I usually stick with comedy and sci-fi, so "Downton Abbey" is definitely something different. Quality show, though.

KU football beat writer Matt Tait (12-6 overall, 4-2 last week)

Kansas 35, Northern Illinois 31

Oklahoma 30, Kansas State 24

South Carolina 33, Missouri 21

Notre Dame 24, Michigan 19

Marshall 38, Rice 33

Lehigh 49, Liberty 14

Question: Anything on The Gameshow Network. I'm obsessed. And I'm a sucker for "Deal or No Deal," "25,000 Pyramid" or "Family Feud" - any era.

High school beat reporter Benton Smith (12-6 overall, 5-1 last week)

Northern Illinois 27, Kansas 24

Oklahoma 30, Kansas State 27

South Carolina 38, Missouri 27

Notre Dame 30, Michigan 23

Marshall 41, Rice 31

Lehigh 34, Liberty 6

Question: "Game of Thrones."

KUsports.com online editor Jesse Newell (12-6 overall, 5-1 last week)

Northern Illinois 38, Kansas 28

Oklahoma 24, Kansas State 20

South Carolina 35, Missouri 17

Michigan 24, Notre Dame 21

Marshall 41, Rice 34

Lehigh 28, Liberty 27

Question: "Project Runway." I'm also not afraid to admit that when my wife is watching "Real Housewives of Orange County," I usually end up watching the whole thing with her.

Sports copy editor Chris Cottrell (11-7 overall, 4-2 last week)

Northern Illinois 23, Kansas 22

Oklahoma 28, Kansas State 21

South Carolina 31, Missouri 24

Notre Dame 24, Michigan 21

Marshall 20, Rice 17

Lehigh 30, Liberty 10

Question: "SpongeBob SquarePants."

KU men's basketball beat writer Gary Bedore (10-8 overall, 4-2 last week)

Northern Illinois 39, Kansas 21

Oklahoma 35, Kansas State 28

South Carolina 24, Missouri 10

Notre Dame 31, Michigan 20

Marshall 24, Rice 10

Liberty 35, Lehigh 31

Question: "Conan."

Comments

David Meredith 2 years, 3 months ago

South Carolina 55 Missouri 52?? I bet that game will be pretty low scoring. SEC teams can play defense.. at least SC can.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 3 months ago

so are you saying South Carolina 55 Misery below 20??

David Meredith 2 years, 3 months ago

That would be sweet, but probably more like 27-13.

pepper_bar 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't understand KUsports' ongoing interest in Missouri games. Missouri is just another team now.

texashawk10 2 years, 3 months ago

Because some of us still consider them a rival and it's always fun to pick Missouri to lose a game.

pepper_bar 2 years, 3 months ago

If my memory is correct, all the writers accurately picked Missouri to win last week.

And the rivalry has been relegated to history. KU has made that completely clear.

jhawk613 2 years, 3 months ago

I think it has more to do with picking team's that are in the greater Kansas area and/or a Kansas connection.

They have picked Colorado and Nebraska games in past weeks and nobody made a stink about those.

pepper_bar 2 years, 2 months ago

Mizzou's been on the list three straight weeks. They weren't on the list in Week 1, when they played SE Louisiana, a game they were obviously going to win.

What is "the greater Kansas area"?

Lucas Town 2 years, 3 months ago

If we are going to predict scores for Liberty then we should as well for Colorado. Poor Jordan Webb, I bet he never saw his college days turning out quite like this.

edgla 2 years, 3 months ago

I like your optimism. I hope you're right!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm actually feeling pretty confident about our chances tomorrow. Just have this feeling about the game.

Also, I'm surprised to see not a single KU staff member who thinks OU will cover the spread. It is pretty high, and KState has played pretty solid, but it's also in Norman this year. Did anyone see the game in Manhattan last season? Not saying all of you are wrong, just that I expected to see SOMEONE pick an OU blowout....

texashawk10 2 years, 3 months ago

That game in Manhattan is the exception to how most Snyder-Stoops games go. All but three of their meetings have been 10 points or closer. Plus, OU didn't look very good against UTEP so nobody really knows how good OU actually is whereas we have a pretty good idea of where KSU is because of what they've done so far. OU very well could repeat what they did last year, but history says that OU is likely to win by 10 points or less.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 3 months ago

LAJayhawk - Spent a week down in Norman right before the season started. The sports media in OKC area feels as though they are overrated. They have issues on the offensive line...and they don't know how good their receivers are.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Guys, yes, I understand all of this about OU, and I know they are kind of a wildcard this year, despite their ranking. And as I said in my original post, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'm just a little surprised given the history between the teams that no one is picking OU to cover a 13 point spread.

And just to be clear on the history, OU has beaten KSU by double digits in every single game since 2004, and KSU has not won in Norman in 15 years. No, history does not determine what will happen tomorrow, but it does often determine what the perception is, and, again, all I'm saying is that I'm surprised not a single one of them is picking OU to cover the spread. That is all.

Micky Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

Kansas 41 NIU 28

Oklahoma 49 Kansas State 31

South Carolina 31 Missouri 7

Notre Dame 38 Michigan 35

Rice 28 Marshall 17

Lehigh 49 Liberty 6

Micky Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

I do think that we're a lot better than a year ago on defense as indicated by the performance last week. If KU turned the corner last week like it appears they may have, KU will win by 10 or more.

kesmithstl1 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not a soothsayer, so I won't predict scores (KU 31 - NIU 30).

Mainly I just wanted to say I love the show "Here comes Honey Boo-Boo)

79ictjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

KU 31 NIU 27

OU 42 KSU 21

SC 35 MU 13

ND 42 UM 27

RU 27 MU 17

LeU 13 LiU 6

Breaking Bad

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

I get people picking ksu however the defense of ou has has been incredible and hasn't given up much. I dont think ksu will win, but they arent going to score tonss...if they win it will be a low scoring fight. OU`s defenseis much better then Miami's.