Originally published September 20, 2012 at 03:54p.m., updated September 21, 2012 at 12:14a.m.

Three-star juco linebacker from California picks Kansas

Kansas University’s football team picked up its second oral commitment of the week from the Class of 2013 on Thursday, landing a pledge from Marcus Jenkins-Moore, an outside linebacker from Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, Calif., JayhawkSlant.com reported.

Jenkins-Moore joins Mississippi defensive end Andrew Bolton (Hinds CC) as KU’s eighth and ninth commitments in the current class.

A three-star prospect, according to Rivals.com, Jenkins-Moore had scholarship offers from a dozen other BCS-conference schools including Kansas State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M; and Texas Tech.

JayhawkSlant reported that tight ends coach Jeff Blasko was the lead recruiter for Jenkins-Moore, but defensive coordinator Dave Campo also played a heavy role in landing the sophomore, who, at 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, is known for his speed. It sounds as if Campo may have been one of the deciding factors.

“He’s very passionate and knows what he’s talking about,” said Jenkins-Moore of Campo during a recent interview with JayhawkSlant.com. “He knows how to get players ready for that next level. He’s the kind of defensive coordinator you want to play for.”

Another factor, according to Jenkins-Moore, was KU’s determination.

“Kansas showed they wanted me more than all of the other schools,” he told JayhawkSlant. “All of the coaches, Blasko, Weis and Campo, would Facebook me every day and they recruited me the hardest. If the other schools wanted me as bad they would have been on me like Kansas was. They always stayed in touch and asked me how everything was going along with my family.”

Jenkins-Moore made his official visit to KU during the weekend of the TCU game. He made the trip with juco teammate Marquel Combs, a four-star, 6-3, 305-pound defensive tackle who also has KU on his very long list.

Comments

Danny Hernandez 6 years, 9 months ago

Awesome news. Coach Campo is going to attract lots of attention and recruits based on his name alone. Whatever it takes, Coach Weis and Campo will get it done.

Rock Chalk

Bobby Burch 6 years, 9 months ago

Agreed. We'll have some nice experience, depth and speed at LB next year — Miles, Tharp, Heeney, Jenkins-Moore. It should be fun!

Dan Harris 6 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like a good get . Now start talking to your buddy and teammate to join you which would be a great Get!!

Jackster 6 years, 9 months ago

Another exciting recruit for the Jayhawks. Going forward, I am curious to know what percentage of available KU football scholarships will be earmarked for Juco players versus true out of high school freshman. I am not complaining....just wandering how it will work out. Seems to me it's about 80% Juco and or D-1 transfers and 20% freshman so far.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

Nope. The JUCOs and transfers just got a lot more hype, so they stood out.

This year -- AY2012-13 -- was 11 HS, 10 JUCO and 6 transfers (4 were 5th year transfers).

For AY2013-14:

9 commitments so far, 7 HS, 2 JUCO.

22 estimated available scholarships

13 minimum available scholarships remaining

54 = my best estimate of current outstanding offers to players still uncommitted to a program, consisting of:

30 HS targets w/offers

24 JUCO targets w/offers

Pretty heavy HS so far, expect more JUCO with the JUCO signing period running December 19, 2012 -- January 15, 2013. Everyone else signs up from February 6, 2013 -- April 1, 2013.

Hard to estimate transfers at this point .

texashawk10 6 years, 9 months ago

Combs is scheduled to visit KSU and Cal in December so hopefully Jenkins-Moore can talk Combs into coming to KU before those visits.

KGphoto 6 years, 9 months ago

With 41 schools and 38 offers on the table, I'm guessing a few more visits will get scheduled between now and then. I don't know how it all works. Are there limits to the number of visits he can take? Can he take advantage and literally visit every one? Hey it's free meals and a lot of people telling you how good you are. I might.

It's nice having his teammate already though. Can't hurt.

texashawk10 6 years, 9 months ago

I believe like basketball, football recruits can take as many unofficial visits as they want (meaning the recruit foots the bill for the visit) and up to 5 official visits (the school pays for the recruit and accompanying family to visit for a weekend).

Eric Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

Combs was here with Jenkins-Moore for the TCU game.

LAJayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm fairly confident that when texashawk10 said "coming to KU" he meant committing to the Jayhawks, not simply visting. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm reading his comment.

kellerman411 6 years, 9 months ago

Welcome Marcus!!! You have made a wonderful decision, you are going to be part of something big.

One thing that made me laugh was "but defensive coordinator Dave Campo also played a heavy role in landing the sophomore"........NO KIDDING. Haha, he was head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.... I imagine he knows a few guys in the league he can mention Marcus to if he turns out to be that kind of player. I still can't believe Dave Campo is our defensive coordinator. For me, his name carries even more weight than coach Weis's and we all know how well known Charlie is.

KGphoto 6 years, 9 months ago

Nice get! It would be crazy if we landed Combs too. Two out of three so far from last weekend, but saying he still has a long list is a bit of an understatement. He has 41 schools on his list, and all but 3 have offered.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

KU had at least 6 visiting recruits that I know of for the TCU game: commit Jenkins-Moore, recruit Combs, commit DE Andrew Bolton, two of Bolton's Hinds CC teammates -- OLB Mitchell Hoskins and DT Tedarian Johnson -- and WR Hunter Jarmon of Midway HS in Waco, TX . From what I can find, all but Hoskins and Johnson have offers from KU. Based on the recruiting services, Combs would be the biggest get of the bunch.

Doug Cramer 6 years, 9 months ago

We need Combs !

We need Combs !

Welcome Marcus !

Daniel Kennamore 6 years, 9 months ago

Welcome to the family, Marcus.

You're going to love Lawrence.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

Excellent! 9 commitments (all but one 3-stars) for AY2013-14 to date (keep those JUCOs on the line and reel them in starting 19DEC, Charlie!), leaving at least 13 more to go! Would love to see Weis & Co land at least half of the nine 4-stars they have offered. That would be so sweet! http://www.rockchalk.com/boards/read.php?5,13984,13984#msg-13984

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, they're playing together and maybe Combs is hearing the whispers, "Something special is about to happen at Kansas".

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

According to rivals.com Combs has Kansas listed and all of them are pretty equal.

It will probably depend on how the defense performs the rest of this season, and he may not elect to make a decision until after their season is concluded, but if they can get him to visit, the chances go up.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

Combs and Jenkins-Moore were both here for the TCU game.

miltnewton 6 years, 9 months ago

Do you hear footsteps? We are coming...we are coming for you Billy...and this time we aren't giving the ball back. Your time is coming soon...Chuckie is here and he knows what he's doing.

mdfraz 6 years, 9 months ago

Billy=Bill Snyder. Chuckie=Charlie Weis.

It's not really that complicated....

stm62 6 years, 9 months ago

The 07-08 school year was SO MUCH FUN. I hope we get back there soon.

LSHawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Very good news from the recruiting front, whenever we can beat out the other schools in our league for these players, its very good news for KU.

Fototherapist 6 years, 9 months ago

I like how Weis continues to emulate Snyder in his recruiting. I think Snyder had the whole "rebuilding a program from the ground up" plan down pat. I think we're going to see some impressive things next season.

justinryman 6 years, 9 months ago

They are doinga goodjobof shoring up the D. It needed it in the worst ways.

Now can they do something about the O line?

Ku has the QBs in place. The RBs are animals. WRs are Ok so add them to that list of things to add.

Hopefully all this pays off not only for the near future but the extended one too.

Bobby Burch 6 years, 9 months ago

Campo and Weis both said in the spring that if we can get recruits here, they'll see our amazing facilities, beautiful campus and quality academic programs, which will essentially allow the program to sell itself. With 2 of 3 recruits committed after their visits, I think we're seeing some truth in their prior statements.

Rock Chalk!!

Curtis Stutz 6 years, 9 months ago

Welcome aboard Marcus! KU had the toughest SOS in the nation last season, probably be right back there by the end of this season. If you're looking for tough competition KU's the place to be.

Cmill1221 6 years, 9 months ago

FACEBOOK? Anyone know if there is a NCAA rule against that yet? Like the texting rule? If not not ride that pony!

tku 6 years, 9 months ago

Am I the only one who sees the desperate need for WRs? I know we have McCay coming in next year but the WRs this year have been sub-par at best thus far.

Lisa Beran 6 years, 9 months ago

Our seats are right by the visting recruits. We knew last week the ones that were here looked good, but figured they must also be good when coaching staff members would come over to the stands to talk to them during the game. Have never seen that before.