Wednesday, September 19, 2012

KU’s Self checks in with top 2013 wing recruits

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who on Tuesday held an in-home recruiting visit with the mother of four-star shooting guard prospect Wayne Selden in New Hampshire, today visits five-star James Young in Rochester Heights, Mich.

Selden, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound senior from Tilton (N.H.) School, who is ranked No. 23 nationally by Rivals.com, has a list of KU, Florida, Missouri, Ohio State, Syracuse and UCLA. He told Jayhawkslant.com he’d like to make a recruiting visit to KU.

“I’ve just become very fond of the Kansas program over the years,” Selden said. “The staff sees me as a guy that can come in and play the one (point guard), the two (shooting guard) or the three (small forward).”

Selden is regarded as one of the most physical players in the country.

“Checking in at nearly 230 pounds, Selden is built more like your typical tight end than a high school shooting guard,” said Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi. “An explosive athlete, Selden’s ability to strong arm opponents is a big advantage.”

Young, a 6-6, 200-pound senior from Rochester (Mich..) High who is the country’s No. 8-rated prospect, has a list of KU, Kentucky, Syracuse, Michigan State and Arizona. Some analysts believe Kentucky is the favorite to land Young.

More on Randle: No. 1-ranked Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, tells ESPN.com he had a great visit to Kentucky last weekend.

The highlight?

“Me, Archie Goodwin and Julius Mays went to the practice facility and put up shots at 1:30 a.m. to about 3 a.m. I love having access to the practice facility when I want to go into the gym and shoot,” said Randle, who has a list of KU, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas.

KU, of course, also has a practice gym in which players can use their own personal codes to enter at any time.

“I was scheduled to visit Florida in October and now they want me to reschedule it during the season so I can attend a game. I am also looking at Duke, Kansas, UNC, N.C. State and Texas to visit,” Randle told ESPN.

Jackson update: No. 27-rated Demetrius Jackson, a 6-1 senior point guard from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., will visit Notre Dame this weekend. He has a list of KU, Notre Dame, Illinois, Florida State, Louisville, Memphis, Michigan State and Xavier. Notre Dame, Illinois and KU are believed to be favorites.

He’s been a priority of Notre Dame since his freshman year of high school.

“It’s a big step,” Jackson told the South Bend Tribune, referring to the Irish’s jump to the ACC. “They’re playing against the big dogs now. It will be a great move for them as a program. It does change my thought process. To be the best, you’ve got to beat the best,” Jackson added. “My dream and my goal are to be the best. Playing in a conference like (the ACC) is definitely a way you can earn being the best.”

Jackson told the Indianapolis Star he’d like to decide before the start of his senior season.

“But a lot of things can happen. Look at the Penn State (football) situation and the kids that are there now. I really feel for them because it’s nothing they’ve done to be in that position,” he told the Star. “A big reason why I’ve waited this long is because I felt like I wasn’t educated enough. Through this process I’ve learned a lot,” Jackson said of recruiting.

Comments

phogphan2000 1 year, 6 months ago

Selden sounds like he'd be a great pickup. Jackson sounds like the ACC deal probably sealed it for him at ND. Can't imagine Young picking UK with most likely Goodwin returning and the twins most likely coming in. Depending on how things look for BMac and White this season I could see him becoming more interested in KU, but it's not like there isn't a lot of competition out there. Self has definitely worked hard on the recruiting trail this year, so thank you to the staff for their diligence.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

This season is going to be great! Next season will be great and we already have fantastic guys lined up. It's all golden (like Super K's jersey in my pic). It can only get goldener.

The bottom line with recruiting is this:

1) Self and his staff are great at recognizing talent so all of their targets are great (more or less)

2) Self and his staff are excellent at teaching the game and developing players

3) Hudy and her crew are going to transform everyone

4) From the pool of excellently talented prospects, we will get the guys who WANT to be at KU

it's pretty much foolproof.

forget all of the hype and rankings and remember that Thomas Robinson was a workmanlike no-name who was initially thought to be Darnell Jackson Part 2 rather than Consensus AA BEAST

damn it feels good to be a jayhawk.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

The main thing with bennybob's argument (if anyone unfolded the 10 reply exchange above), is that he is assuming Kentucky, UNC, Duke "select" and "get" a much, much higher percentage of the kids they target and recruit heavily. He also refers to Self's recruiting as being "below" the standard Self himself set early in his KU tenure. My counterpoint to bennybob is that the 06+07 classes back to back "loaded" the roster nicely, but it may not have given a National Championship if Rush hadnt returned. Also, 1 missed 3pt shot from Davidson, and no natl championship even with Mr. Rush. What bennybob also seems to be doing is going by "gut feeling" about Duke's and UNC's recruiting. How on earth does he know just how many kids UNC and Duke are going after? He cannot know their recruiting target list as well as we at KU know Self's...and we all dont know/not supposed to know what our own coach is up to...so where is the foundation for the Self-slams that bennybob keeps trying to hit Bill with? Okay, take last year's TyshawnHawks. One could argue recruiting failures caused that particular roster...but then give some weight to eligibility bullcrap about McLemore and Traylor, also. But then the whole argument is BLOWN because that very short-handed roster makes the champ game and comes within 3 missed dunks and 2 clanked FTs of...(y'all know). Wish Bennybob would quit expecting Self to measure up to other coaches about whom Bennybob knows even less. Way less. Apparently bennybob doesnt know much about Self either. No way he can rationally comment on all the secret recruiting targets of Duke+UNC+Kentucky! Not possible. He just mad that Self doesnt recruit a Calipari-level class every single year. No one else does it every single year. And Self is not Calipari. And if Calipari missed out on 2 guys, that is 40% of his team, and he'd be sunk (not Sweet16 material). I dont want to live on the wire like a Calipari/Kentucky fan would (no thanks!). Nor do I want to be a UNC fan right about now. Duke has very stringent academic requirements that wouldnt allow a Bill Self to mentor handpicked athletes in a fatherly manner and create those success stories KU is also known for nurturing. God in heaven, bennybob---> all I want to say to you is LET BILL SELF BE BILL SELF. I love the job he does. He cannot get inside a recruit's head anymore than you and I could. Just lay off your shtick...getting really old. You have the right to your opinion, but analytically speaking, you have no basis (other than hypothetical whiffs) and I disagree with you 100%. No offense intended.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

Personally, I'd like Parker as our point forward for a year. I've mentioned him here before, but there is a very talented Junior point guard at Grandview High, Tyrone Taylor. He's a Tyshawn clone with a better shooting stroke than Tyshawn had at that age. He's not getting a lot of love from the recruiting services mainly because he plays the two on his Under Armour team,, but he is definitely a true point guard. He has the best court vision I've seen from an athletic point guard in the KC area in a long time. Killer first step. I didn't get out and see him this summer, but I'm told he made the all tournament team at nearly every major tournament he played in this past summer, and he was playing out of position. I'm thinking Parker as point forward for a year, then bring in young Taylor and maybe one other point guard to battle the following year.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 6 months ago

I think it's absolutely a laugh riot that this kid said Notre is now playing with the big boys! What a slap in the face to the likes of Louisville, UCONN, Villanova, Georgetown, on and on and on. Good one!!! I love this dude!

iamakufan 1 year, 6 months ago

Mishawaka is right next door to South Bend. The kid grew up with Notre Dame.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Unless Bill Self gets hit by a train [or a trainful of money from Oklahoma City], he is going to be our coach for a very long time.

Eight [or is it nine...I lose track] conference titles, Coach of the Year three times, with two Final Fours and an NC, and no World Wide Wes helping him, he is the best coach around.

As Hawkklaw has pointed out ..."so on and so forth." The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Kansas will be the house of Streaks...Conference Titles, NCAA appearances, 30+ win seasons, NBA First Rounders, Toughest venue in America and so on and so forth.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, the recruiting glass is certainly half full.

I can't wait for the season to start to watch this year's recruits instead of obsessing over next year's potential recruits. HCBS is the best and I'm confident that over time things will fall into place.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Everyone keeps talking about Bill Self's recruiting struggles. Simply put - they don't exist.

I'll give you that ONE year, when the Morris twins (and less-importantly Josh Selby) waited until very, very late in the recruiting game to tell Bill Self that they wouldn't be returning, we had some recruiting troubles. But we should all remember that during the season, the feeling was that there was a decent chance they would both return for one more year. They hadn't made up their minds. They did so many good things on the court at KU that they earned that time to make up their minds. So yeah, Self struggled ONE year (and rightfully so). Other than that, I can't even begin to entertain the notion that KU has recruiting woes. As my sort-of-sometimes friend HEM would say, "Give me the next tier who isn't a sure-fire 1st round pick. A kid whose professional playing career will be decided by how well he develops at KU." That's what I've been saying all along, and that's exactly how Bill Self continues to win big every year.

What you perceive as "recruiting troubles" are what I perceive as a combination of "recruits choosing other schools for other reasons (guaranteed PT, location, family, etc)" and "Bill Self opting for talented, team-oriented recruits." Sure, there are higher-ranked players out there looking at places like Kentucky and UNC. And occasionally Self does land the Josh Selby's and the Xavier Henry's of the world. But KU has always recruited (and continues to recruit) some of the best "team-oriented" players in the country. That's how last year's team got so far and that's how Bill Self runs things. He does just fine recruiting-wise. There are a myriad of reasons that kids choose to play at other schools. Bill Self is one of the factors that lures recruits to KU, as opposed to driving them away. Nobody lands 100% of the recruits that they target. That's just how it goes.

So buck up, friends. Here's a bold prediction for you: KU is going to win a lot of games this year. And next year. And the year after that. So on and so forth.

ParisHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Since BigManU picked up on my word "depressing" - I meant the article, not our recruiting situation overall. Ku basketball is exhilarating!

Scott Smetana 1 year, 7 months ago

Randle is spending twice as much choosing a college as he's going to be there.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I am feeling better about our bigs development now, as was really hating the fact we lost DManning--until I recalled those 3 years Self was at Illinois...with no Danny, his bigs were still tough, versatile, and aggressive. Just like how he personally pushed the Twins from "soft" frosh--> to the tough ballers we saw their junior season (which too many "ku" fans misinterpreted totally). Would be nice if ku fans actually took a moment (or 3) to analyze, consider, and pontificate their own coach's persona, track record, and methods.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

That 5th scholie needs to go to the 7 footer that just popped on the radar. If there is a coach that can do a lot with a 7 footer it is Bill Self. The center position has been steadily built at KU over the past few years (of course Danny was here to help), but I still think the system plays well to that position.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 7 months ago

Just some other food for thought.............Maybe Brannen Greene is the one being groomed at the "Point Forward" position and everybody else will just fall into place.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Let's expand the box a little more and come up with a Shooting Point Strong Forward position!!

My Personal Number One Priority is Karvier Shephard. You can teach and coach ball handling, smart distribution, floor vision by with mixing and matching guard strengths, play style, practice, etc.

You can't coach 6'-10"/7'-0" height...it just has to be there.

Benz Junque 1 year, 7 months ago

Dear Demetrius Jackson, shouldn't the goal be to play FOR a great team, not AGAINST a great team? Come to Kansas, where you will actually have a chance at accomplishing something, versus Notre Dame, where you will only get a chance to play AGAINST teams that have accomplished something.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 7 months ago

Why all the long faces KU fans? It is still September and the early signing period is still a month away and KU currently has two Top 30 prospects already for next year. I would say KU is ahead of schedule unlike some recent years in the recruiting world.

Yes, KU has apparently missed on a couple of PG targets that KU seemed confident in getting 1 of 3 in Barber, Jackson, and Jones, but that's the craziness of recruiting and that shouldn't be foreign to anybody.

I am really hoping Self and Staff are thinking outside the box here because KU's roster and future options actually allow Self and KU to mix it up a bit over the next couple of years. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise or for the half empty group out there............your drepression pills may very well be getting a refill.

I like Blownjay's and Aloahawk's thinking here. If you could land a Selden, Parker, or Randle and "Create" a position for these folks...............wouldn't you take that opportunity? Bill Self is a highly intelligent individual and he gets paid 3 million for a reason. You can't have a robotic system that looks the same year after year. You have to adjust and you have to adapt to the personnel that is on your roster.

Obviously, KU may miss on their 2013 PG targets, but wouldn't you make an exception for one year to develop a "Point Forward" in order to get a Selden, Parker, or possibly Randle or any combination of the two until a PG arrives in 2014?

IMO, the 2013 class is so deep, you do whatever it takes to land some of these recruits, even it makes you have to go back and restructure your offense around your roster. You have to be able to change and adapt and I hope that is what Bill Self is thinking here.

Michael Luby 1 year, 7 months ago

man, cant they just start the season already? Im sick of waiting for it.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Wesley will be a great fit for K ST.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

Selden's description reminded me a bit of Royce White. I would like that Match Up Advantage any day if he can really handle the rock.

Morttom 1 year, 7 months ago

Selden seems like a great prospect.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

Looks like Kansas State just landed a top Guard from Texas--shooting guard Wesley Iwundu (Houston, Texas/Westfield).

bennybob 1 year, 7 months ago

Mclemore, White, Greene, (Ellis).

4 deep with guys that will all be freshman/sophmores

Why is the staff still targeting wings?

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Did Jackson really just cite the Penn State situation as a reason he'll be hesitant to commit somewhere??? I know I'm reading into that, but why's he throwing Penn State into an interview?

KansasComet 1 year, 7 months ago

Not worried one bit about recruiting.

offline 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe Self should have Doc Sadler go on the recruiting trip.

Alohahawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Not to downgrade KU's other recruits, but Selden would be a very good get. He reclassified to 2013, from the 2014 class, and even before that I believe Self was recruiting him heavily, probably thinking he'd be an excellent replacement in case McLemore jumped early. That could still happen and Selden could also fill that PG space Self has as a priority for this recruiting class. Rivals has him at #23, but if I remember correctly Scout has him ranked about 13 or so (which would be higher than Jackson is ranked in both). Don't know how quick on his feet he is, but ranked that high, he has to be pretty fast. I could imagine him barreling down the lane, and at 6' 5" and 230 pounds he'd create some room, sort of like a taller version of Sherron Collins.

Would be nice if he could attend Late Night.

ParisHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Self visited the Mom? The recruit skipped the visit?

Randle gushing about UK.

Jackson gushing about the ACC.

Depressing.