Originally published September 17, 2012 at 12:00a.m., updated September 18, 2012 at 12:32a.m.

Juco recruit Chris Jones orally commits to play basketball at Louisville

Point guard picks Cardinals after weekend visit

Chris Jones, the top junior-college basketball point-guard prospect in the country, on Monday orally committed to Louisville.

Jones, a 5-foot-11 Memphis native who is a sophomore at Northwest Florida State College, chose the Cardinals over Kansas University, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Florida State.

He made the commitment a day after the conclusion of his official campus visit to Louisville.

He has canceled trips to KU and FSU.

“He’s a fierce competitor, won a state championship in high school, played for a national championship last year in juco,” NW Florida coach Steve Forbes told ESPN.com. “Now he has the opportunity to compete for a national championship at the next level and play for a Hall of Fame coach (Rick Pitino).”

Jones, who was ranked No. 47 nationally in high school by Rivals.com, averaged 18 points, 4.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game last season in propelling Northwest Florida State to a national runner-up finish.

“I saw Steve Francis play a long time ago. He was obviously a good player. I coached Brandon Hughes, who went to Michigan out of junior college. There’s no question that over the last few years (Jones is) the best I’ve seen,” Forbes told ESPN. “He has few holes in his game, and his competitiveness takes him over the top.”

KU’s top point guard prospect may be No. 27-ranked Demetrius Jackson, 6-1 from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., who will visit Notre Dame this weekend. Jackson, who has been recruited by N.D. for five years, lists KU, Notre Dame, Florida State, Illinois, Louisville, Memphis, Michigan State and Xavier. There has been speculation that Illinois and Notre Dame are the heavy favorites.

Randle update: No. 1-ranked Julius Randle, 6-9 from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, visited with coaches from KU, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and N.C. State last week. He has upcoming in-home visits with Florida, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas.

“I think coach (Bill, KU) Self’s visit was probably one of the best of the week or maybe even the best at selling his program and why I would fit there,” Randle told Rivals.com. “He explained to me what he would want me to do and how he would help me get better. It was at the end of the week and it was the shortest too, so that wasn’t bad either.”

Randle plans to wait until the spring to commit to a school.

“I’m not even sure what is next right now,” Randle told Rivals. “Maybe after these in-homes I will cut it down to five or something like that. Or I might just take a quiet period away from it all. I need to focus on school and getting ready for the season. Since I’m not deciding until the spring some time away might not be a bad thing. We’ll just see.”

Mostella update: No. 65-rated Detrick Mostella, a 6-3, 170-pound guard from La Lumiere School in LaPorte, Ind., tells jayhawkslant.com he has a list of KU, Georgetown, Florida and Texas A&M.

Comments

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Miscellaneous Points Of Light:

• Bill Self was born, raised and played as a guard...he knows what to look for and he'll find someone.

• On December 27th, HCBS turns 50...maybe the team should give him a National Championship for his birthday!!

• The 2012-13 Jayhawks will have maybe the most interesting team mix in the nation...Three Senior starters plus a Senior Sixth Man..and Ten Freshmen!!! The most experienced and inexperienced combo team in America!!!!

• Victory 500 will occur this year, so Bill goes till 65 at 30 vics per equals 950....dust off a place in Springfield, MASS. boys!!

• HCBS's toup has already earned Hall of Fame status!!

pill41 1 year, 7 months ago

Did flying squirrel say anything of substance on the slant?

REHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

One of the things to keep in mind about early recruiting: there are "under the radar" players who have not yet undergone development in this upcoming year of high school or jr.college; athletes who will make tremendous leaps in personal improvement, perhaps even final rankings before April. Most major Division 1 coaches will have filled their slots by midseason. If KU has a scholarship still available, Bill Self might yet fill that backup point guard need sometime in the next 9 months. Not likely that he will unearth a dependable starter, as that caliber of player has already been ranked and charted for a couple of years; but a recruit who, for some reason, decommits elsewhere or who, for a host or reasons, did not glean national attention before playing his final year of h.s., j.c. or prep school basketball.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

It cracks me up that the last three stories posted by the LJW have been stories that were already 'broke' on this very website by the blog-nosticators.

It seems that LJW gets their information from some of our reliable recruit junkies.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 7 months ago

Sounds like it will be "PG by Committee" in 2013.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

On all the Randle references, that's great .. it's a pipe dream. Maybe a bit better odds than a pipe dream, but we can't even think it's a possible. Perfect for the 5th spot if it happens.

However, filling spots #3 (post player) and #4 (point guard) are the priorities and need to be locked down this fall.

Regarding JayDogger's reference to Brannen Greene being a good ball handler -- and Greene thinking he can play the 1 -- it's important to understand the pressure of playing the point at D-I. JayDogger recognizes this with Greene ("not specifically at the 1"). Be a good ball handler for a wing or a 2 is different. Greene can spot in at the 1 in AAU ball. I mentioned the pressure issue in a reply above.

Most everyone here sees basketball at multiple levels .. look at the pressue a high school point guard is under; then dial it up; then look at the pressure a JUCO point guard is under: then dial it up; then look at the pressure a D-II/NAIA point guard is under; then dial it up. Once you ratchet the dial to the max, you arrive at the D-I level.

We have one quasi-reliable ball handler on our roster for 2013 ... Tharpe. He was not reliable last season. We then have Frankamp, who is not considered a premier ball handler. But let's give that the benefit of the doubt. We have two. They better stay healthy and be as good as necessary. I mentioned some scenarios in a post above to show how important it is that we get the ball handler that Self said we needed.

This is really important.

Now, if Adams is a stud ballhandler and progresses this season to warrant significant minutes in 2013, great. But no one here thinks we can count on that, I'm sure.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 7 months ago

I sort of stated this earlier above but it's worth repeating and I'm wondering if anyone agrees. I think it's better if we whiff on Jackson and the other PGs now and not in April. If we are to have Tharpe, Frankamp and Adams as our primary ball handlers next year (and the following year?) I think it's better to know now so HCBS can build that into this season's overall game plan (such as by developing Tharpe with greater zeal and confidence). That being said, I still think we will sign another guard this year, even if it's a low/unranked guy.

Btw, several months ago I swear I read an interview with Greene where he said that he was practicing ball handling because Coach Self said he may want him to play the point. I looked hard for the article but couldn't find it; perhaps I dreamed it. Anyway, I think Greene will be a good ball handler thought not specifically at the 1. In an article I did find he says he can play the 1, 2 and 3, for what that's worth.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 7 months ago

Randle on his recent in-home with Coach Self (from Eric Bossi at Rivals): "I think Coach (Bill) Self's visit was probably one of the best of the week or maybe even the best at selling his program and why I would fit there. He explained to me what he would want me to do and how he would help me get better. It was at the end of the week and it was the shortest too, so that wasn't bad either."

Here's the rest of the article if your interested. http://kansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1410562

bennybob 1 year, 7 months ago

Concern about this years recruiting class have just elevated from slight to moderate.

Self and staff have officially moved to "Plan B" for everyone of their initial targets(minus Greene and Frankamp).

On a plus note, at least this year they had some "Plan B's" in place.

Janet Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

One less jock strap of the Williams Fund to buy.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 7 months ago

To the Coach Self Recruiting Bashers:

We need to acknowledge that times have changed. Kids don't learn about traditions much less desire to carry them on. They only care about themselves and when their parents become publicists and not concerned guides there is nobody to tell kids the hard facts. That leaves Coach Self, our very own Catcher in the Rye. I'd rather go down with Coach Self's ship and our honor than float with other programs' empty promises and backward perspectives on what is important in life. To quote our first basketball coach "I'm sure that no man can derive more pleasure from money or power than I do from seeing a pair of basketball goals in some out of the way place." Rock goddam Chalk!

phogphan2000 1 year, 7 months ago

Things like this just remind me of why the guys who pick KU are more important to me than the highly touted recruits that don't. Guys like Conner Teahan that stick around have a lot more impact than guys like Micah Downs that don't, it's that simple. None of us knows who the better PG will be by the '13-'14 season, Anrio Adams, Cat Barber or Chris Jones, but I know 'Rio is a Jayhawk and that's what matters. I'm excited about the guys we get much more than I'm disappointed about the guys we don't. I don't know who the worst starter KU has had in the last 20 year or so has been. I will tell you this much, whoever he was he could play some ball.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 7 months ago

HEM, I know Self said his number one options were PG and Center, but IMO PG isn't as essential at this point as one might think.

Sure, KU missed out on Cat Barber, but was it really a miss considering the allegations and the incident? Did you really want Chris Jones? I know I didn't. With that said, KU still has a shot at Jackson, but is it really that bad of an option if Jackson ends up at Illinois or ND?

KU is in good shape with a lot of 2014 PG's and to be honest, I am completely comfortable with Frankamp and Tharpe handling those duties.

I think it's more essential in landing a "Big" recruit like Parker, Gordon, Randle, Roberson or Shepherd.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

As konkeyDong noted, it has been a bad week. But as a poster said on another thread, remember Josiah Turner. You just never know if things work out for the better. Perhaps we can look at it that way. Most of the time, when you miss on a top guy, it isn't for the best. We just don't know.

Stay positive, BlownJay. Stay positive.

We've missed now on three point guard targets .. Barber, Jones, and Jordan (don't forget him ... that was sealed a while back) .. we have one left. Demetrius Jackson. The sun did come up today, however.

The key is getting Jackson here for a visit (and we can all promise that we won't read anything into a recruit saying it was a great visit, or a perfect "10" .. right?). Rarely do you get the Julian Wright type commit without a visit. A scheduled visit date means Jackson is serious about KU, and would be a great sign. If we don't get a vist on the calendar this week, with the apparent urgency, that's probably not good news.

Heck, maybe Self has already made a deal with Jabari Parker to run the point since his dad thinks he should play some "point forward." Wonder what the chances are of that?

Ted Hume 1 year, 7 months ago

it's been months since everyone started over-posting their theoretical rosters; a pointless and obvious distraction from the daily grind of the will-he, won't-he recruiting abyss. So, back from the not-so-dogish days of late spring/early summer, a rumination on minutes distribution to get our minds back from the point guard of the future to the point guard et al of the now, and, well, to play meaningless prognosticator of something other than swing-state/battleground pre-debate poll numbers v. possible final returns...

1. EJ ~32 Tharp ~8
  2. B. [my] Mac[daddy] ~32 Adams ~6
  3. T Rel. ~ 32 White ~10
  4. Ellis ~23 Young ~12, Traylor ~10
  5. Jeff ~30 Peters ~5,

still too many players in the rotation, perhaps, but this accounts for 1-2 sub-6 minute contributors and 8-9 full rotation guys..

everything old is new again, roster fanatics; post up

Robert Brock 1 year, 7 months ago

Well, we are down to one possible PG recruit - Demetrius Jackson - and he is unlikely to leave his home area. It looks like he will commit to Notre Dame soon.

Looks like Adams, Tharpe, and Frankamp will have to cover the position. A'ight.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

"Progressions in a Key of Sports"

~Crude oil.

Refined petroleum.

Synthetic rubber compounds.

Outer soles of sports shoes.

~Crude oil.

Refined petrochemicals.

Polyurethane, Phylon, Phylite (a combination of Phylon and rubber), and EVA, a flexible, foam-like material.

Midsoles of sports shoes.

~Oilcos.

Shoe companies.

College sports.

~Low grade USA and Canadian crude and tar sands.

Bitumen.

Canada to Texas pipelines

Refineries.

~Coal

Fracking for coal gas.

Gas pipelines.

Helium to push gas to refineries.

Coal gas to crack bitumen into petroleum distillates.

Rubber compounds and polyurethanes.

Mid soles and outer soles.

Basketball shoes.

~Regions of states.

Voting blocks.

Infrastructure projects.

~Games.

TV cameras.

Televisions.

Commercials for cars, gasoline, and sports shoes.

~TV Revenues.

Athletic Departments

NCAA.

TV networks.

Gaming industry.

~Teams.

Media hype.

Spreads.

Betting.

Gaming industry.

(Note: the above to be read while humming Disneyland's "Its a Small Small World.")

:-)

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year, 7 months ago

This kid a damn fool. There is nothing else that needs to be said.

longhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

If KU comes out of this with Jackson or one of the other uncommitted 2013 PGs we'll come out of this OK. I'm afraid we may have put our eggs in a few two few baskets, though.

On the other hand....Frankamp's handles aren't so horrible that he couldn't fake it as a point in Self's system if needs be from time to time. I mean, outside of Miles, who has Self had play the lion's share of the minutes at the 1 as a "true point?" Can't think of one. Had a lot of "good, not great" ball handlers, most of which have spent nearly equal minutes off the ball than on it.

jay381 1 year, 7 months ago

This is the first and only time I make this statement, but I really hope this kid and his baggage choose another school.

I live in Memphis, followed the disaster when he originally committed to Tennessee with the Bruce Pearl regime out of High School. Why did not the new coach not re-recruit him? There are just too many problems surrounding Melrose High School right now. There have been half a company of NCAA investigators in Memphis for months. Radio stations are all but taking odds of just how heavy the hammer will fall on the Memphis Public School System and their athletes going to member institutions.

KU just stands for better than this.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

I usually stay positive, but I really can't stand listening to Dave Telep speak. His delivery and tone need a lot of work.

5280Jayhawks 1 year, 7 months ago

It's done..he going to Louiville

Dave Telep @DaveTelep The Louisville Cardinals have a new PG. JC Chris Jones. Wow. one of the best JC PGs of the last decade.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 7 months ago

We don't need anymore Juco guards.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 7 months ago

Well, this was a bad week for recruiting point guards :( At least we're still well positioned with Jackson. I'm not so worried about Tharpe's development. I think he'll get there. It's Anrio Adams that is the question mark. He's a 2/1 as opposed to a 1/2. It took TT the better part of three years to make that adjustment and if Adams sticks, he's going to go through the same thing. It'll be interesting to see.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

Sorry, Charlie. You've already showed your hand.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 7 months ago

He'll regret not visiting the Phog for Late Night!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

A JUCO guard, to me, suggests that they are not happy with Tharpe.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Between Naadir and Connor, who gives a crap if this kid wants to go somewhere else. I must be missing something. Billy boy knows a thing or two about putting a team together and if he is out on the road looking for a point guard like this, Naadir must still not look very good at all. That, or he is just taking out an insurance policy but good grief, how many 6 foot tall point guards can you put on one team? I'm perfectly fine with giving this scholarship to a center instead.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 7 months ago

yaaaaawwwwnnnnnn, god reading that took its toll on me, think im gonna commit to the pillow and bed now. word to ya muva

David Hall 1 year, 7 months ago

IT WILL NOT BE KU THAT FOR SOURE

Jay Dogger 1 year, 7 months ago

Even 'bate doesn't need 5 paragraphs to explain this one.