Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cat’ Barber picks N.C. State

Elite senior point-guard prospect Anthony “Cat” Barber on Saturday orally committed to play basketball at North Carolina State during his campus visit to the Raleigh, N.C., school.

Barber, who visited KU on Aug. 31-Sept. 2, chose the Wolfpack over KU and Alabama. He’ll be playing college ball a 31⁄2-hour drive from his Hampton, Va., home.

“She loves it and is happy,” Barber said of his mom, Pam, in an interview with ncstate.rivals.com. “She liked everything and loved the school to death. She was hyped.

“They played a big part, too,” Barber added of friends and family being close by. “A whole lot of people were telling me (about N.C. State), but I wanted to see for myself. You have to see stuff for yourself, and I saw it and felt good.”

The 6-foot-2 guard, who is ranked No. 9 nationally by Rivals.com, visited Louisville a week ago, but was dropped by the Cardinals as a recruit at the conclusion of his visit for unknown reasons.

“The environment was just made for me — from the coaches, the school and the people around like the academic people,” Barber told ncstate.rivals.com.

KU, which has received oral commitments from No. 28-ranked Conner Frankamp, 6-foot from Wichita North, and No. 22 Brannen Greene, 6-7 from Tift County High in Tifton, Ga., is recruiting at least two other point guards.

No. 27-ranked Demetrius Jackson, 6-1 from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., is considering KU, Butler, Florida State, Illinois, Louisville, Memphis, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Xavier.

Chris Jones, a 5-11 sophomore from Northwest Florida State College, is considering KU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Louisville and Florida State. He’s a former Tennessee commit originally from Memphis. KU currently has five scholarships available in the Class of 2013.

Evan Manning hobbled: KU freshman walk-on guard Evan Manning, 6-3 out of Free State High, recently suffered a severe ankle sprain and has been wearing a boot on his right foot. KU coach Bill Self said Manning “will be back (fully) in two weeks.”

Comments

Miguel Colón 2 years, 2 months ago

Not worried, if the stories are true about him stealing at Louisville then he isn't a Kansas player! Hope it's not too late for Jackson!

Gavin Fritton 2 years, 2 months ago

They are? I can't find that anywhere. Do you have a link?

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, hopefully we'll be able to land Jackson.

Robert Brock 2 years, 2 months ago

Notre Dame has a huge lead in the Demetrius Jackson sweepstakes. Expect his commitment to ND soon.

David Gisi 2 years, 2 months ago

Not sure where that comes from. The 3 schools that have momentum with Jackson are KU, UK, and Illinois. The only other schools that still have much presence with him are Louisville, FSU and ND. Groce had been talking to Jackson when he was at OhioU, before Jackson garnered national attention. So there is a relationship there that has him looking at Illinois. Not actually certain where Louisville stands right now. I thought there was a visit scheduled there, but word coming from Louisville was that after the Barber situation occurred that "Jones was the only PG they were still recruiting." I would be shocked if Jackson chose ND. Maybe there is some new momentum they can gain because of the ACC deal, but that would be the only reason. Kansas became his instant leader last spring, but then Kentucky got in the mix and Illinois ramped up with Groce taking over. If he keeps ND in that mix it will only be to satisfy some locals. I don't get a sense from anything that comes from ND local news that his family has pushed that. It will almost certainly be between KU, UK and ILL.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Here's a link I posted yesteday on Demetrius Jackson. Seems like a great kid. Listen to his voice perk up when discussing KU getting involved.

David Gisi 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks. I saw that yesterday. It was the first time I had caught his connection to Coach Groce and why Illinois was strongly in the mix as well. I have never seen him play locally, but in video that I have seen of him, he is impressive taking it to the hoop. He doesn't seem to care who is there or how big they are, ala Sherron. Also, I saw on Rivals BB recruit page an article that lists the "Top 10 Most Physical" players for 2013 and they have Jackson at #6 (for whatever that's worth). Not bad for a 6'1" PG

Jocelyn Kennedy 2 years, 2 months ago

I had not heard about incident at Louisville, but really, how dumb do you have to be to do something like that? Good riddance.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm interested to see the espn reporting on whether Self rescinded his offer as midwest_muser mentioned .. is there a link? Here's what I saw at one of those less than completely reliable sites:

Matt1958 2 years, 2 months ago

WOW!!!!! Just read your post, link. Maybe I take back what I wrote, at least part of it.

melrank 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the link - the credibility is just as good as what you read on message boards :)

I will admit that I was not aware of "off the court baggage" before the L-Ville weekend. Knowing the details would be nice because losing out feels very disappointing right now.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 2 months ago

Supposedly Barber stole from one of the players(DUMB) and Pitino told Cat (burgler)Barber, no thanks....and Coach Self also followed suit after being informed of the circumstances. I'm also hearing that Alabama quit recruiting him as well.

We dodged a bullet, similar to Josiah Turner's recruitment when he signed with UofA over Kansas.

Matt1958 2 years, 2 months ago

I knew it. I just knew it. Friday Night, up 11, our ball inside the Rockhurst 20. Somehow, we lost. Now this. What's next? Ellis transfers to UK? I need to go vomit!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

It's not like Cat Barber makes or breaks the team. This is KU, son!

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually Alabama was up on top of the list for this guy. Anthony Grant backed off as did Self. Very sad that a top recruit with on the court skills has such bad judgement on an official visit. When 3 schools back off you know it's the truth. Yes, dodge a bullet.

Funny how all he talks about when it come to NCS is what his family thinks and not a think how he feels he'll fit in on the team. Wish the kid well but we didn't need to take a chance on somebody who has shown huge character flaws/

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Now we will have to rely heavily on Naadir Tharpe as our star point guard in 2014. Theese are our possible backcourt lineups.

1. Tharpe
  2. Frankamp
  3. White (Adams and Greene off the bench)

1. Tharpe
  2. White
  3. Greene (Frankamp and Adams off the bench)

1. Demetrius Jackson
  2. Naadir Tharpe
  3. White (Adams Frankamp and Greene off bench)

ClydeTurnbuckle 2 years, 2 months ago

I honestly think Frankamp might run point.

Ted Hume 2 years, 2 months ago

adams, people, adams. anyone notice the similarities to russ rob when he came in, uncertain about which guard spot he would fill? adams sounds like he has the potential to fall into either spot and be a terrific starter at either, depending on his development. I would not be surprised to see him starting at either next year if Ben moves on, and I'd expect him to be above newbie Frankamp, without question.

Steve Quatrocky 2 years, 2 months ago

Frankamp should be option 1 on all three of your lists, with his shot, it will be hard not to play him, like Stephon Curry.

jayhawks1009 2 years, 2 months ago

Either Frankamp is going to play to point or Tharpe is going to have to make major strides in his development because we have no chance with Jackson. Plus, Chris Jones is a huge Louisville lean. The 2014 backcourt is going to be as weak as its every been.

David Gisi 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know where the "no chance with Jackson" idea comes from. He is very high on KU. He took an unofficial to KU, had an in-home with Coach Self, and has an official scheduled at KU. He spoke very highly of Coach Roberts as well in interviews. As soon as KU entered his recruiting picture, we were the leader. Calipari is making a strong play, and Jackson is def interested in Illinois. Others have a chance, like ND and FSU in particular, but KU has more than a solid chance at Jackson.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Forgetting the rumor on Self dropping out of his recruitment, I posted a few days ago that it was really between KU and NC State. My thought was that the only reason why he'd choose NC State would be if the weight of being close to home would overcome the obvious positives KU held over NC State. Meaning, there would be no rational reason to choose the NC State situation over KU, except for the distance for his family to see games.

Of couse, this rumor could have sealed the deal. But you never know what's important to a kid. It seems that if I'm the parent and I think one situation is clearly better for my kid, I wouldn't let proximity make my decision. You never know the kid though. He might be prone to being homesick. Lots of the things we just don't know, namely the veracity of this rumor.

I do like the Josiah Turner reference, because you just never know about any kid. It's just best guess.

It would certainly be a nice thing for Gary, Matt, or Jesse to follow-up on and see if they could get the real scoop there. Did Self drop out? And why? I'm sure there's an unnamed source that could give them some reliable info.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

Reading the comments above people seem concerned we will be lacking in point guard depth.

Conner Frankamp is a PG. he can play the 2 because he is an amazing shooter but Self will not start a guy at the 2 that will be giving up 4-5 inches in height a night on the defensive end. That's to much of a liability for Self to tolerate.

I would have taken Barber in a second because you can never pass up that kind of talent but I've never felt he or any other PG was needed to fill out this recruiting class. I'd much rather take the schollie and get another big. thats were the depth is going to be worrisome going forward.

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

As PG, if Frankamp is 5' 11" or possibly 6', and Jackson is 6' 1" (BTW, Barber is/was listed at 6' 2"), there is only a slight dropoff of defensive height compared to those two. And Chris Jones is listed at 5' 11", so that would equal out with CF.

However, if Frankamp starts at the 2, who says he would be guarding the 2 on the wing? Maybe he would switch to the 1 (PG) while on defense. There's no rule the 2 has to guard the same position on defense as he plays on offense. But, I do agree that that scenario would then hinge on how tall KU's starting PG alongside Frankamp would be. Just remember, Missery started pretty much a three guard offense last year, because they all shot from beyond the arc pretty well. And, much as I hate to admit it, it worked pretty well for them.

I agree KU needs a quality big, but as Self has indicated, he also wants another quality PG. Look at what happened to N. Caroilina last year. One never knows when a key injury is going to happen. A PG needs on-court/game-time experience because he is the quarterback out on the court. Obviously, Self doesn't completely trust Tharpe, yet. And Self's playbook will be hard for any freshman to assimilate. So that starting PG, freshman or not, has to have experienced a lot of game time to gain some confidence as well as learning what his teammates are capable, or not capable, of doing.

PS: Remember the few who compared Barber's picture to a mug shot, and the arguments that ensued? Now, flash forward to the present. What if the rumors about his Louisville visit are true?

A lot is going to depend on how well Adams and Tharpe develop this season.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

benny: I know you have been very consistent in saying we don't need a point guard. Really, this point guard focus has come straight from coach Self in his comments. I guess I might tend to agree with you .. but for Self's comments.

Why do you think he said, specifically, that we need a point guard? That seems very important to me .. meaning something he knows that we don't.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

My personal opinion is Self was playing the Media with those comments. You cant mention a recruit directly by name and he knew he had an elite talent very interested in being a jayhawk so every chance he could he'd make reference to needing a ball handler.

The only conclusion that can be drawn if the staff is truly that adamant on landing a PG is that they have very little faith in Tharpe. Whats it tell you that Self is willing to bring in a Juco transfer with no experience in the program, who will a junior along with Tharpe? That's not a long term move good for the program, that's a band aid.

MartyrMangino 2 years, 2 months ago

It's OK everyone. Marchphog88 told me that recruiting really isn't an accurate predictor of success anyway.

Benz Junque 2 years, 2 months ago

In case you guys weren't aware, the 2013 signing period is not done. Self will be signing another PG before the end of the recruiting year. There is ZERO chance that he will go into next year with just Tharpe and Frankamp as his only PGs.

There is plenty of time and we still have three more schollies to fill. Have faith in Coach Self. He has always put great players on the roster and will continue to do so.

Matt1958 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey. Help me out all. Why did we have no interest in the Ojeleye kid?

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 2 months ago

My guess is because he plays the same position as Andrew White and Brannen Greene.

kufaninmo 2 years, 2 months ago

ah, i say big deal...after last season we know we can get work done without top ten recruits.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Just saw this article at CBS .. references the dreaded "wanting to be close to home" as being a major factor. That's tough to compete with. But nothing on the rumors from the Louisville visit.

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Could become a factor in recruiting Chris Jones. Louisville is much closer to Memphis, his original stomping grounds.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

I forget who posted, it a few days ago someone was mentioning the area of Memphis where Chris Jones was from was so bad that even Calipari avoided while at Memphis. I see something similar here as well. the Hampton area of Virginia is absolutely one of the biggest hotbeds for athletes, both football and basketball, but there is also a pretty negative stereotype about those athletes in regards to their character as well. Michael Vick and Allen Iverson are probably the two biggest names to come out of Hampton in the past 20 years or so and I think because of those two, the entire area gets the stereotype that everyone from there is a "thug" and has poor character. It sounds like Barber may very well fit into this stereotype and it's unfortunate because Barber is a very good athlete, but if pulling stupid crap like he is rumored to have done on his Louisville visit is true, then he could very well be headed down the road to ruining his future. I realize it appears I'm bringing race into the equation, but I'm really not. That region of Virginia is not the most financially well off area for those that live there and crime is pretty common in areas that aren't financially well off. That's an issue that is color blind and it just so happens that this area where Barber is from is predominantly black. These same issues exist in poor areas that are predominantly white, hispanic, or whatever race happens to live in an area.

jumpinjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

He would of had to earn playing time at KU and at NC State he would be the man. You have to question a kid that takes the easy route anyhow and what he actually did in Lousville to get dropped. Sounds to me like we re better off without him.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Memory Hole Recall and Other Things"

~The allegation that some of KU's players had some kind of improper activity with a fellow in a Wichita Federal court regarding a significant pot ring?

~The Pump brothers, who's names surfaced back in Scalpingate and were apparently cleared of wrong doing. I was wondering if they were still involved in amateur basketball teams, or if that experience had disillusioned them with it.

~Roger Morningstar--is he still with Converse tennis shoes, which is a subsidiary of Nike--or has one of the great three position guys of KU history decided to go fishing full time?

~George Raveling, a guy I have never particularly respected, but also never strongly disliked. I looked him up. I had heard he was involved with Nike, but I have until recently tried to stay blissfully under informed of the shoe infrastructure in the game. I knew it was reputedly unseemly. I knew it had gone through a Mike phase, a Shaq phase, a Kobe phase, and so on up to a Lebron phase. I sort of lost interest in it back in the Myron Piggie scandal. But when I confirmed George was significant at Nike, I plucked down a copy of "Sole Influence: Basketball, Corporate Greed, and the Corruption of America's Youth," written in 2000 by Dan Wetzel and Don Yaeger. Wetzel, as you probably don't recall, was a UMass poli sci major ('94) that ran the UMass campus newspaper during the time of John Calipari's reign, which ended two years later in forfeits caused by things Calipari as usual had no knowledge of. But I digress about Wetzel, who apparently deserves a whole other skeptical post exploring his relationship with Calipari. In the book, Wetzel was about as unflattering to George Ravelling, as he has been flattering to John Calipari over the years. This almost makes me suspicious that George Raveling is a better guy than a I thought. Regardless, Wetzel's book raked some good basics, some of which I mention below.

So: now back to George Raveling. He has a very interesting web site worth a look, especially when you know he's a major domo of Nike basketball shoes and so near ground zero of what some describe as talent valving via shoe contracts. George of course thinks he is doing great things with basketball shoes. He is a very positive guy, as he himself implies he is. I really don't know enough yet about the shoe game to say. http://coachgeorgeraveling.com

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

FWIW, George went to Villanova, assisted at Nova and Maryland, and got to be pals with Sonny Vaccaro, when ex jock Sonny had started and was running the Dapper Dan Tournament. Wetzel's book says Sonny' brother Jimmy was in the gaming industry, but I could not confirm that anywhere else and besides, I digress.

Next, George made a career of being a .500 career head coach from 1972-1995 at Washington State, Iowa, and USC. He never won a conference title. He never got deeper than the second round of the NCAA tourney, according to his own wikipedia page. But George was, according to Wetzel, one of the pioneers of modern recruiting in which coaches searched endlessly for talent anywhere and started recruiting it early. If I recall correctly, Bob Knight once took a shine to George and George assisted Bob at the 1984 Olympics. A car accident finished George at USC, though he might have been flushed regardless, after finishing 5th and 7th his last two years. Somewhere along the way he and Sonny got tight enough for George to be Sonny's best man, then stayed tight while Sonny pioneered the whole Mike-Nike thing, then as George neared the end at USC, George reputedly campaigned for an NABC job and took some pot shots at the shoe guys and AAU folks, which reputedly ticked Sonny off. Then George took a job with Nike, when Sonny had moved to Addidas and they have stayed public enemies ever since.

George is reputedly a big dog, a Mr. Global Basketball guy at Nike. So, again: that makes George sort of ground zero for the shoe company's effects on college basketball. His web site is perhaps as interesting for what he does not discuss about the shoe companies influence on the game, as what he does. But some of his posts are interesting. And it only makes sense for a basketball fan to keep an eye on a guy who's shoe company contracts are supposedly very influential.

George has a page of epigrams he lives by. One was interesting. "Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate."

I don't know if that sums George up, but it speaks to an aspect of him.

He adds posts frequently, too. And he can actually write.

Dee Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

I am sure this young man, Cat is a great kid but to be honest I would have had one hard time cheering for a young man with the name Cat since we are Jayhawks. Good luck at NC St. Average program and an average coach. The definition of average is simple, the best of the worst and the worst of the best. The only issue I have is that you could have played for a GREAT program and a GREAT coach.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

kmAthiS,

Hey, I guess you missed my post the other day.

Bulletin: I post about any topic that interests me on these threads and I encourage everyone else to; that would include you.

The story is only a starting point for discussion. And sometimes a story lacks even the legs for that. Get better, k-man.

Also, when you waste our time with "endless fillibuster" whining and redirects of other adults, what you are in effect doing is talking about something other than basketball. Thus you and not me are the one getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. Capice?

FWIW, all the nasty gossip about Cat Barber reminded me of all the nasty, apparently unfounded, gossip about the Pump brothers back during Scalpinggate. So: I thought I would ask for an update on them.

And when I looked up a link to make sure I recalled their last names right, I saw that Roger Morningstar, was at one time mentioned along with the Pump brothers as being involved. It was kind of a joint smearing of Roger and the Pumps, or so it seemed in retrospect.

And then when I read about Roger it mentioned that he was then with Converse, which when I looked to see if he were still with them, I found they were a subsidiary of Nike and that big George Raveling is the king pin of soles at Nike these days.

kmAthiS (and yes I am mis-capitalizing your alias, as you did mine), this is the world in the age of search,man. Stop gripping and start surfing. You can do it if you try.

Next, if you have an enduring problem with any of the above, then I reckon you might check into some mental flexibility therapy to limber you up, so you can handle more than one topic per thread without gripping. :-)

Finally, endless filibuster? Wow, aren't you sensi today? That was only a two parter and about basketball. I hate to drive you to a shrink, but there will be multi-parters this coming season. Again, consider a mental flexibility therapy.

Rock Chalk!

ku_foaf 2 years, 2 months ago

I read on a Louisville site that he stole a girl's cellphone at a party and it was traced back to VA. Whatever the cause, there seems to be reservations about his character.