Saturday, September 15, 2012

KU commit Brannen Greene to visit for Late Night

Brannen Greene, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound senior small forward from Tift County High in Tifton, Ga., who orally committed to KU last Dec. 20, plans to make his official recruiting visit to KU for the Oct. 12 Late Night in the Phog.

Greene’s dad, Jeff, told Rivals.com, however, there’s a chance the family could change the visit to Feb. 16, when the Jayhawks play host to Texas as part of ESPN GameDay.

KU coach Bill Self had his in-home visit with Greene on Thursday. He spoke to the Tifton Gazette, but could not discuss Greene, the No. 22-rated player in the Class of 2013, in accordance with NCAA recruiting rules.

Self told the paper Tift County, “was a big-time school,” and he had gone to “places a lot more rural than Tifton,” during his days as a college recruiter.

“We will go anywhere in the country to look at a player, if they are interested in attending Kansas,” Self told the paper. “This area of the country has always been one of the more fertile spots for talent.”

Tift County is located in south Georgia, about 20 miles north of Macon and an hour drive from the city of Atlanta.

So far, four uncommitted prospects in the Class of 2013 will be making official recruiting visits to KU for Late Night.

They are: No. 5-ranked Aaron Gordon, a 6-8 forward from Archbishop Mitty High in San Jose, Calif., who is considering KU, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Kentucky and Cal; No. 29 Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 forward from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, considering KU, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Carolina, SMU, Syracuse and Villanova; No. 43 Karviar Shepherd, a 6-10 center from Prime Prep Academy in Dallas who lists KU, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma, TCU and Marquette; and Chris Jones, a 5-11 sophomore from Northwest Florida State College who is considering KU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Louisville and Florida State.

Randle visit: Self on Wednesday was in the home of No. 1-ranked Julius Randle, 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.

“This is the biggest thing, and I’ve known coach Self since last year, and one of my kids, Zach Peters, is playing for him,” Prestonwood coach Chris Mayberry told Rivals.com. “He (Self) is a straight shooter and that’s the biggest thing. He was honest and told the truth, not that others didn’t at all, but he’s just a real dude and I think Julius appreciates that. It was a really good visit.”

Randle is considering KU, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas.

On Friday, Self was in the home of No. 2-ranked Jabari Parker, 6-8 from Chicago Simeon, who lists KU, BYU, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, Stanford and Illinois.

Comments

ParisHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Nice comments from Randle's coach. That's the reputation we want our Head Coach to have (and deserve).

ParisHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Question to other posters: do I have to say I was first, or can I just be first?

mojayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Amen to your first comment and congratulations for your second comment regarding your first comment which made you first to post at the very second you posted.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Can't just BE first - you have to state it #BOLDLY

Steve Gantz 2 years, 3 months ago

The good book says "The first shall be last" so to make it right you have to post last also.

hawk316 2 years, 3 months ago

Paris, I'm with you. I love it that we can be proud of our basketball coach, not just because he wins games, but because he does things the right way, even when it's costly. Not all kids want to hear what a "straight shooter" will tell them, and so I suspect that we lose some highly publicized recruits on occasion. But that's ok. We want the ones who want to hear the truth.

Miguel Colón 2 years, 3 months ago

I think we get Randle if Gordon goes to Kentucky, any thoughts?

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 3 months ago

Gordon is staying on the West coast (probably Washington)...with all the recent comments Randle has been saying about playing with the Harrison twins & Wiggins, Kentucky has to be the leader at this point.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 3 months ago

Randle is no doubt going to be a Kensucky Wildcat. I hate to say it but there have been many hints along those lines. I hope I am proven VERY wrong. Even if he chose UNC I would be happier. I think he would be tremendous for us. BTW - we need a new stud big man coach...that would certainly get us closer to the Randle prize.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not saying you're wrong but it would be interesting if we could go back and read the 1000's of comments made about our recruits over the years and see how many times we wrote similar things about KU recruits who never did become fan favorites. Obviously I hope you're spot on with your prediction.

Steve Yeakel 2 years, 3 months ago

Glad to see Coach Self in the homes of such top players, here is hoping that we get our share, I am sick of the Slick Cal show at Kentucky pulling in the top players each year, and suspicious of UCLA suddenly getting so popular with top guys. We have to keep working hard and doing it with integrity.

GabrielMichael 2 years, 3 months ago

I know someone who knows someone... KU doesn't stand a chance with Randle.

Read his coaches comments abouts Calipari.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

If a "real dude" is one of the main criteria, we've got this guy locked up.

Those other dudes are all fake.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

A touch harsh, maybe .. Coach K, Roy, Donovan .. all seem like stand up guys to me.

soapisurfriend 2 years, 3 months ago

I know why they do it, but I often wonder what it would be like if coaches could comment on unsigned recruits. I, like many of you, can't get enough of this stuff and I spend a lot of time every day reading and watching film on high school players. I just think it would add an interesting perspective if we knew what coaches thought about some of the guys they were recruiting.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

Some misc. recuiting stuff regarding the five point guard prospects -- Self had said specifically that he wanted a "point guard" to replace EJ:

1. Anthony Barber (PG): He has a visit this weekend with NC State, then next weekend with Alabama. He's said he wants to make his decision. Louisville is out. Sounds like Barber might make a decision shortly after the Bama visit. Did see where his coach said "by the end of October." Sounds like he will sign in November.

2. Demetrius Jackson (PG): Lots of info about Notre Dame out there. He lives near campus. He's visited Illinois, but said he wants to arrange coming to KU. Haven't seen anything about Michigan St. recently. Interestingly, in comparison to our discussions on Self not recruiting Ojeleye from Ottawa ... Indiana did not recruit Jackson. Self was at his house Sept. 10. Watch this interview .. great kid. And watch how he kind of lights up talking about Kansas getting involved. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8055644

3. Chris Jones (PG): Seems like Louisville is the favorite as he is their main priority. He's coming to late night, so that's good. Even though he's a Juco guy, he was a top 50 player. Self was at his house Sept. 9. Will only have 2 years left, so he clearly will want to go somewhere where he'll start. He's visiting Baylor, Okla. St., Louisville, Florida St., and KU .. we have the last vist.

4. Rysheed Jordan (PG): Looks like we're out. Visits to UCLA and Maryland (their late night), and Syracuse is the other top school mentioned. http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/09/05/rysheed-jordan-sets-maryland-ucla-visits/

5. Frank Mason (PG): Unranked guy reportedly got an offer from KU. Not much info. Rivals doesn't list KU as a school of interest. He was a guy that reclassified. Had committed to Towson in summer of 2011.

Seems like we can't go wrong with Barber or Jackson, and Jones would be an ok get if we missed on our top 2.

Robert Brock 2 years, 3 months ago

Karviar Shepherd goes to Prime Prep in Dallas? Really? And all this time I thought he attended Grace Prep in Arlington!

YaBoyJrod 2 years, 3 months ago

Love the fact our HCBS is such a straight shooter

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

What coach Self said: "Milton, I know that you're not ranked. But if you come in and do what I expect you can do, I believe you will get significant minutes this season. I've seen a lot of kids, and you'll match up well. This coming season, you'll certainly have an opportunity for playing time. You remind me of Tyshawn Taylor, and he started his freshman season. Like you, he wasn't a pure point guard. You can see our roster. We'll play a four guard rotation this season and I see no reason why you can't be in that rotation immediately. You can compete. You have a very broad skill set. Your main competition would be Anrio Adams .. and he's not even qualified yet. He'll be behind. Ben may be a one and done and gone in 2013. And heck, if Ben or EJ would get hurt, you could be starting. You know EJ's got that shoulder issue. This could set up very well for you."

Pure speculation. I mean wild speculation on my part.

But here's coach Self, the straight shooter: "Milton, we'd like you here at KU. But you know, we have EJ, Tharpe, Ben, and Anrio. Releford and Andrew can play some 2 if needed. For this season, we need depth. I need to make sure we're not left hanging if Adams is ineligible, and/or someone gets hurt. You're that insurance policy. I would expect that you will have very limited playing time this season. But if you develop, you could be in the rotation by your junior season. You will have to be patient. You understand, as well, that we'll be recruiting each season to bring in top 50 players. You'll have new competition each season .. Frankamp and White are coming in for 2013. The players will play."

While my first scenario was, of course, speculation, my last scenario would never sell the kid, would it? And my first scenario .. is there anything untrue about that (other than possibly the TT comparison, which may be somewhat true)?

Coach Self is just much more of a straight-shooter than most guys. We have the Trevor Lacey example from 2011. But it's all in the way you make the sale. To sell, he has to sell sunshine.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 3 months ago

I wish I could announce I was attending Late Night again some day.

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

In our hearts and minds and spirit, if not in reality, everyone in the Jayhawk Nation attends every Late Night in the Phog.

Rock Chalk!

Ron Franklin 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow. I don't keep up on recruiting as much as I'd like to--just can't make it a priority right now. But, I was really surprised that Greene hasn't taken a visit to KU and he already committed. I was thinking he visited last year.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 3 months ago

Finally copied the DVR of KU vs UK for the title to disc yesterday and watched the game again. I was so mad about the talent disparity between the two teams that I couldn't even care that KU lost. I mean, what can you do--sometimes the guy across from you is just better.

And if I think about Cal continuing to get that kind of talent it makes me jealous.

If I think about UK adding another title to their trophy case I get sick.

And when I think about the fact that I don't believe the NCAA is investigating them like they should be, I become maddened.

How much longer can Kentucky keep this up.

How much longer can Cal keep this up.

sydhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Cat Barber to NC State according to Dave Telep tweet. Damn.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

bennybob 2 years, 3 months ago

Cat Barber to NC State.

Self and staff come up empty again!

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 3 months ago

"Self and staff come up empty again"......I don't know about that. I think it has to do more with Barber on his Louisville visit. I really like Demetrius Jackson and I hope that Bill can close the deal.

KUsmoothies 2 years, 3 months ago

Heard that Barber was caught stealing on his Louisville visit. Rumors of course but if there's any truth to it then not sure he's the type of guy we would have wanted anyway.

Priest Fontaine 2 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawk Wishlist:

POINT GUARD -- Demetrius Jackson

FORWARD -- Julius Randle, Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon

CENTER -- Karviar Shepard

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

As everyone (That isn't the occasional troll visiting this board) will agree, I'd love to see KU sign up every top ranked recruit. And I've always believed, "Never say die." However, with Barber's decision, reality sets in and the hard truth must be acknowledged:

Of those listed above, KU probably has the best chance of getting Demetrius Jackson - about 50%. Of course I had guessed the same % for Barber. :>( Would also point out, Jackson is supposed to be an excellent defender, so with DJ, Self would lose some offense but gain on the defensive end. As for Chris Jones, Louisville has an advantage, being closer to his original stomping grounds in Memphis.

I give KU a 5% chance for Randle. He'll choose Kenstinky, if the Harrison twins do so, and N. Carolina if they don't. Read recently that Randle was more impressed when Roy showed him his 30 rings, (including one loaned to Roy by Michael Jordan), than he was when Cal Lie Pari showed him his one ring. 25% chance for Gordon (It's a big plus that he's attending Late Night in the Phog, but he's long favored the West coast schools, and if Gordon doesn't give the nod during his visit, he's not signing on.), and 30% for Parker, whom I think really likes Self and KU. (Would hope his father doesn't drown his decision.)

K. Shepherd is probably close to 50%. (One wonders what Baylor keeps promising all the top ranked recruits.) Add Lawrence, at about 25% (Favoring UNLV). KU is in Young's top three - 25%, but he favors Kenstinky.

As for a late entry, KU only has a long shot to get 7 footer, Embiid. Early on he already has ties to UCLA ( Through MBoute ..., however his name is pronounced.) and, if I remember correctly, Florida (?). He sounds like a project, early on, but the recruiting gurus, now that they have seen him, give him a very high upside. (Which means the NBA would have him in their sights for an early jump to the league.)

Unless the rumor mentioned above by KUsmoothies and midwest_muser is real, Barber's choice probably hit Self where it hurts the most. But Self is a fighter and, this time around, he hasn't put all his eggs in one PG basket. One down, two to go. Time for some Late Night dreams, ala Shady, to fall into place.

Less than a month till Late Night!!! Can hardly wait.

Justin Daniel 2 years, 3 months ago

I would love to get Jackson, but everything I read says he is a big Notre Dame lean. Them going to the ACC didn't help matters. I think Shepard has to be primary target right now with Withey leaving. I honestly don't think we stand a chance with Randle, Parker or Gordon. They seem to have their minds made up. If we could get Tyler Roberson, Jackson and Shepard it might be the most impressive class coach Self has brought to Kansas.