Saturday, September 15, 2012

KU commit Brannen Greene to visit for Late Night

Brannen Greene, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound senior small forward from Tift County High in Tifton, Ga., who orally committed to KU last Dec. 20, plans to make his official recruiting visit to KU for the Oct. 12 Late Night in the Phog.

Greene’s dad, Jeff, told Rivals.com, however, there’s a chance the family could change the visit to Feb. 16, when the Jayhawks play host to Texas as part of ESPN GameDay.

KU coach Bill Self had his in-home visit with Greene on Thursday. He spoke to the Tifton Gazette, but could not discuss Greene, the No. 22-rated player in the Class of 2013, in accordance with NCAA recruiting rules.

Self told the paper Tift County, “was a big-time school,” and he had gone to “places a lot more rural than Tifton,” during his days as a college recruiter.

“We will go anywhere in the country to look at a player, if they are interested in attending Kansas,” Self told the paper. “This area of the country has always been one of the more fertile spots for talent.”

Tift County is located in south Georgia, about 20 miles north of Macon and an hour drive from the city of Atlanta.

So far, four uncommitted prospects in the Class of 2013 will be making official recruiting visits to KU for Late Night.

They are: No. 5-ranked Aaron Gordon, a 6-8 forward from Archbishop Mitty High in San Jose, Calif., who is considering KU, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Kentucky and Cal; No. 29 Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 forward from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, considering KU, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Carolina, SMU, Syracuse and Villanova; No. 43 Karviar Shepherd, a 6-10 center from Prime Prep Academy in Dallas who lists KU, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma, TCU and Marquette; and Chris Jones, a 5-11 sophomore from Northwest Florida State College who is considering KU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Louisville and Florida State.

Randle visit: Self on Wednesday was in the home of No. 1-ranked Julius Randle, 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.

“This is the biggest thing, and I’ve known coach Self since last year, and one of my kids, Zach Peters, is playing for him,” Prestonwood coach Chris Mayberry told Rivals.com. “He (Self) is a straight shooter and that’s the biggest thing. He was honest and told the truth, not that others didn’t at all, but he’s just a real dude and I think Julius appreciates that. It was a really good visit.”

Randle is considering KU, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas.

On Friday, Self was in the home of No. 2-ranked Jabari Parker, 6-8 from Chicago Simeon, who lists KU, BYU, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, Stanford and Illinois.

Comments

Justin Daniel 1 year, 7 months ago

I would love to get Jackson, but everything I read says he is a big Notre Dame lean. Them going to the ACC didn't help matters. I think Shepard has to be primary target right now with Withey leaving. I honestly don't think we stand a chance with Randle, Parker or Gordon. They seem to have their minds made up. If we could get Tyler Roberson, Jackson and Shepard it might be the most impressive class coach Self has brought to Kansas.

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 7 months ago

Jayhawk Wishlist:

POINT GUARD -- Demetrius Jackson

FORWARD -- Julius Randle, Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon

CENTER -- Karviar Shepard

Jay Dogger 1 year, 7 months ago

That blows. Was really hoping and expecting him to come here. I think I may have been happier before I followed recruiting.

Barber was the one I thought we had the best shot with so I don't know if it's worth being optimistic about the others. Jackson looks to be the best available. I wonder if Jones (and certainly the unranked guy) would want to gamble his last two years on a team that has Tharpe and Frankamp. Of course, if they're our fallback that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

midwest_muser 1 year, 7 months ago

I've read that Self backed off Barber when the details of his Loiusville visit were made available. Sounds like we dodged a bullet....

KUsmoothies 1 year, 7 months ago

Heard that Barber was caught stealing on his Louisville visit. Rumors of course but if there's any truth to it then not sure he's the type of guy we would have wanted anyway.

bennybob 1 year, 7 months ago

Cat Barber to NC State.

Self and staff come up empty again!

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 7 months ago

sydhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Cat Barber to NC State according to Dave Telep tweet. Damn.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

Finally copied the DVR of KU vs UK for the title to disc yesterday and watched the game again. I was so mad about the talent disparity between the two teams that I couldn't even care that KU lost. I mean, what can you do--sometimes the guy across from you is just better.

And if I think about Cal continuing to get that kind of talent it makes me jealous.

If I think about UK adding another title to their trophy case I get sick.

And when I think about the fact that I don't believe the NCAA is investigating them like they should be, I become maddened.

How much longer can Kentucky keep this up.

How much longer can Cal keep this up.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow. I don't keep up on recruiting as much as I'd like to--just can't make it a priority right now. But, I was really surprised that Greene hasn't taken a visit to KU and he already committed. I was thinking he visited last year.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 7 months ago

I wish I could announce I was attending Late Night again some day.

YaBoyJrod 1 year, 7 months ago

Love the fact our HCBS is such a straight shooter

Robert Brock 1 year, 7 months ago

Karviar Shepherd goes to Prime Prep in Dallas? Really? And all this time I thought he attended Grace Prep in Arlington!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

Some misc. recuiting stuff regarding the five point guard prospects -- Self had said specifically that he wanted a "point guard" to replace EJ:

1. Anthony Barber (PG): He has a visit this weekend with NC State, then next weekend with Alabama. He's said he wants to make his decision. Louisville is out. Sounds like Barber might make a decision shortly after the Bama visit. Did see where his coach said "by the end of October." Sounds like he will sign in November.

2. Demetrius Jackson (PG): Lots of info about Notre Dame out there. He lives near campus. He's visited Illinois, but said he wants to arrange coming to KU. Haven't seen anything about Michigan St. recently. Interestingly, in comparison to our discussions on Self not recruiting Ojeleye from Ottawa ... Indiana did not recruit Jackson. Self was at his house Sept. 10. Watch this interview .. great kid. And watch how he kind of lights up talking about Kansas getting involved. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8055644

3. Chris Jones (PG): Seems like Louisville is the favorite as he is their main priority. He's coming to late night, so that's good. Even though he's a Juco guy, he was a top 50 player. Self was at his house Sept. 9. Will only have 2 years left, so he clearly will want to go somewhere where he'll start. He's visiting Baylor, Okla. St., Louisville, Florida St., and KU .. we have the last vist.

4. Rysheed Jordan (PG): Looks like we're out. Visits to UCLA and Maryland (their late night), and Syracuse is the other top school mentioned. http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/09/05/rysheed-jordan-sets-maryland-ucla-visits/

5. Frank Mason (PG): Unranked guy reportedly got an offer from KU. Not much info. Rivals doesn't list KU as a school of interest. He was a guy that reclassified. Had committed to Towson in summer of 2011.

Seems like we can't go wrong with Barber or Jackson, and Jones would be an ok get if we missed on our top 2.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 7 months ago

I know why they do it, but I often wonder what it would be like if coaches could comment on unsigned recruits. I, like many of you, can't get enough of this stuff and I spend a lot of time every day reading and watching film on high school players. I just think it would add an interesting perspective if we knew what coaches thought about some of the guys they were recruiting.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

If a "real dude" is one of the main criteria, we've got this guy locked up.

Those other dudes are all fake.

GabrielMichael 1 year, 7 months ago

I know someone who knows someone... KU doesn't stand a chance with Randle.

Read his coaches comments abouts Calipari.

Steve Yeakel 1 year, 7 months ago

Glad to see Coach Self in the homes of such top players, here is hoping that we get our share, I am sick of the Slick Cal show at Kentucky pulling in the top players each year, and suspicious of UCLA suddenly getting so popular with top guys. We have to keep working hard and doing it with integrity.

midwest_muser 1 year, 7 months ago

Brannen Greene is a special kid. He's going to end up as a huge fan favorite for his big time game and his classy personality. Can't wait to see him suit up!

Miguel Colón 1 year, 7 months ago

I think we get Randle if Gordon goes to Kentucky, any thoughts?

ParisHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Nice comments from Randle's coach. That's the reputation we want our Head Coach to have (and deserve).