TCU defeats Kansas, 20-6

• 11 a.m., Sept. 15, 2012
  • Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Positive takeaway: Jayhawks fall to TCU, but Weis says they’re ‘turning corner’

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist fumbles as he is hit by several TCU defenders on the Jayhawks' last drive of the fourth quarter, Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

Videos

KU coach Charlie Weis postgame: TCU

video thumbnail

Video of Kansas coach Charlie Weis' postgame press conference following the Jayhawks' 20-6 loss to TCU on Sept. 15, 2012.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis

Kansas coach Charlie Weis talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 20-6 loss to TCU on Sept. 15, 2012.

Download podcast

When quarterback Dayne Crist fumbled into the end zone from the three-yard line on Kansas University’s final offensive play of Saturday’s 20-6 loss to TCU, the turnover put an end to KU’s chances, and the game was all but over.

But with 1:14 to play and TCU quarterback Casey Pachall kneeling out the clock, KU coach Charlie Weis called timeout. As officials signaled to stop the clock, every player on the KU sideline hurried to huddle around Weis for one final message.

It had nothing to do with the next play.

“It was a teaching moment about turning the corner,” Weis said. “That was not to prolong the game. That was to let ’em know, ‘Hey, everyone came in here today thinking you were gonna get the crap kicked out you. That didn’t turn out that way, did it?’”

Not by a long shot, as the Kansas defense, in front of a crowd of 43,867, forced four TCU turnovers and played one of its best all-around games in years.

Senior safety Bradley McDougald caused two fumbles, and senior defensive end Toben Opurum forced one and recovered another as the new-look KU defense improved its turnover total to 12 for the season and took points away from the Frogs in the process. Two of KU’s takeaways came on TCU’s first two drives, with one coming off of a bad snap at the KU nine-yard line and the other at the KU 23, where Opurum pounced on a ball that came loose after a McDougald sack.

“A great defense is an offense’s best friend,” Crist said. “Our defense played great today.”

The offense did not. Despite tallying 380 yards, including 303 in the passing game, the Jayhawks managed just three points off of those early turnovers and never really got going. The 3-0 lead did not last long, as TCU intercepted Crist on the first play after its second turnover and marched 52 yards in four plays to take a 7-3 lead on an eight-yard TD pass from Pachall to Brandon Carter.

After cutting the Frogs’ lead to 7-6 with a 10-play drive that reached the TCU eight-yard line but stalled because of a holding penalty, KU watched TCU answer with an eight-play drive of its own to set the halftime margin at 10-6 in favor of the Frogs.

KU (1-2 overall, 0-1 Big 12) received the opening kickoff of the second half but quickly went three-and-out and struggled throughout the rest of the day to convert on third down and in the red zone.

This time, it wasn’t all Crist. His receivers dropped balls and misread coverages, and the running game, which had been great all year and was solid in the first half, finished with 77 yards on 26 attempts.

That inspired Weis to go to the air more often in the second half.

“To have a chance at winning (against TCU), you know you’re gonna have to throw the ball,” Weis said. “And we just have to do it better.”

While the Jayhawks struggled with three-and-outs and missed opportunities, the Frogs continued to move up and down the field. Each time, however, the Kansas defense stiffened the closer the Frogs got to the end zone.

TCU’s second touchdown, which came with 5:12 to play in the third quarter, came on a third-and-six. The Frogs’ final score, a 27-yard field goal on their next possession, came after Opurum (six tackles, one pass break-up, one QB hurry) batted down a third-down screen pass. In addition, TCU’s other fumbles came inside KU’s 10-yard line, first with Pachall heading into the end zone and, later, when tailback Matthew Tucker lost the ball at the KU seven.

“The old bend-but-don’t-break mentality … you can gain a lot of confidence (from that),” Weis said. “Because now, every time a team gets down there, they’re expecting to make a play on defense to turn the ball over.”

Opurum said the defense’s big day was a result of hard work and pride from each player.

“Really, I think it just speaks to the character of our defense,” he said. “We see what everyone says. We see that people don’t respect us, and people pick us to lose 44-21 and everything, but we’ve put in way too much to be losing close games like this. This isn’t the Kansas of last year or the year before. We’ve gotta be able to finish games. We can only finish close (so) many times. We’ve gotta turn the corner at some point.”

The way Weis saw it, that may have happened Saturday. Despite entering its Big 12 opener as a 26-point underdog and on the heels of a stunning home loss to Rice, Weis’ squad competed for 60 minutes with one of the top teams in the league.

“A lot of people, me included, wanted to see what Kansas was gonna do in a game like this,” Weis said. “And I think you saw how hard we played for the whole game. I actually feel worse about this loss than I do about last week’s loss because you could see it meant so much. They want to take that step forward, they don’t want to take a step back. They lost the game. I wouldn’t say they took a step back.”

Added defensive end Josh Williams: “We didn’t fold. We didn’t quit. We’re making steps forward. I wouldn’t say it’s satisfaction, because we didn’t win the game.”

Call it progress. Call it a step in the right direction. Call it impressive, even. But don’t call it a moral victory.

“That doesn’t exist,” Weis said. “There’s no such thing. There’s nothing ever good about a loss.”

Comments

kufaninmo 2 years ago

yeah bro...NOBODY said that.

johnnyhrdwd 2 years ago

If we would have ran the damn ball in the 2nd half we could have actually won.

minnhawk84 2 years ago

The defensive reads were there -- the Jayhawks were in the right position much of the game, but they just couldn't get the job done. I think the effort is definitely there, but the pure athletic ability is lower than TCU's, and it showed many times when the tackle was missed or broken. These kids will improve.

Crist showed us a glimpse of his passing abilities, and I think the receivers are starting to get it figured out as well.  Too many dropped passes, too many times they were tripped up by a hand tackle.

20-13 would have been even better, but at least it wasn't a blowout, and at least there were times on defense when we looked very capable of playing TCU at their level.

It only gets better from here on out.

bville_hawk 2 years ago

Hope you are right, minnhawk. I, too, thought we looked better. We at least looked like a football team for 4 quarters, our coaches didn't get out-smarted by the other teams halftime adjustments, etc. I thought Crist at times looked good, but he tends to throw behind his receivers waaaay more than you would expect from a passer of his reputation.

It will help some having James Sims back next week, then a bye week then we play in Manhattan. Hopefully by then we'll have our 4 cylinder engine firing on more than 2 cylinders!

hucking_fawks_rock 1 year, 12 months ago

I'd like to see Pierson get used as a wide out more often. He was very impressive from that standpoint against TCU. With Sims back, we still have a great backfield with Sims/Cox, and anything we can do to help our receiving corp is a good thing. Having Pick on one side, and Pierson lining up in the slot or on the other side could make for some good playcalling. My opinion anyway..

mikehawk 2 years ago

So much in sports is mental. All good coaches are psychologists. It is a long season but you can see the mentality changing, and despite not having the depth or the overall talent, they are starting to build it. What you heard from the The Old Ball Coach and the players is truly the foundation of what it takes to build a sustainable program. It won't happen fast enough for those that don't understand what it takes to build a real football program. Let's keep showing up and cheering, staying to the end, and we may eventually have something that rivals the program at TCU that was a losing program for years until they made the right hire and stayed the course.

jhox 2 years ago

I agree. Also, recruits see poor attendance and fans leaving early. If we really want to get this thing turned around, the fans have to be part of that equation.

Micky Baker 1 year, 12 months ago

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I live about 30 minutes away from TCU, and I'm going to be there to for KU games. Unfortunately, I can't get to Lawrence on Saturdays. This defense is developing faster than the guys did under Mangino, too.

Now, the special teams has to get much better and get past the 30 or 40 3 or 4 times a game. Sims coming back is going to give more options in the backfield, but I liked Turzilli and he should be moved up the depth chart. I also think Omigie needs to work on his foot work and high step. If he had high stepped on one play on Saturday, then that drive in the 4th quarter would have been to tie the game.

Cmill1221 2 years ago

Why did it feel like we were only looking for the home run ball in the second half? The run game was working, why abandon it? I did like the screan plays and getting Pierson out in space but why did we not run the ball in the 2nd half?

Ryan Shelton 2 years ago

We ran for a total of 80 yards the whole game, mostly 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Pierson just couldn't get free or turn the corner. I understand your sentiment though. We have to establish the run in the second half to keep their secondary honest. I mean, there's a reason our receivers seemed blanketed by their secondary. I think we could have run the ball early in the 4th while down 2 scores.

Jeremy Hays 2 years ago

Pierson is 160 - 170 lbs... Sims was still suspended.... Bourbon is dinged and Taylor cox... Yes so if you run those guys over and over again... One or both are hurt and then what do you do???? See there is more to coaching then saying hey we are gaining 48 yards in the first half why don't we run more... Well Pierson averaged 3.8 yards per carry at 170lbs!!!!!!

Ryan Shelton 2 years ago

I'm not sure I understand your argument. Don't run the ball since we only have 2 backs? Besides, my argument was for more balance early in the 4th. I never said "run those guys over and over again."

If there's one place we have an embarrassment of talent, it's running back. Run the horses to open up the passing game.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 12 months ago

I will be nice to get Sims back for NIU. Seeing Pierson be so effective in the passing game makes me wonder if Sims & Cox will be the RB's with Pierson being used more split out. Get him the ball in space.

Kevin Crook 2 years ago

I don't know if it is Crist's decisions or HCW's, but our offense needs to look for success in the short passing game. We need to complete some curls, slants, skinny crosses, etc, and let our receivers make a difference with yards after the catch. It seemed like we either ran it right at them or tried to throw it 30 yards over them. The great quarterbacks are patient and relentless taking what the defense gives. Reesing made a living dumping the ball off to his receivers within 5-8 yards of the line of scrimmage and letting them break tackles. That kept the linebackers honest and opened the run game up even more. Our play calling needs to be re-evaluated.

Jeremy Hays 2 years ago

Spread passing game vs Pro style-- Plus Briscoe and Meier both NFL WRs compared to Turzelli and Omigie and Breshears!!!! which one do you think will dominate more with ball in their hands!!!!

Doug Cramer 2 years ago

I'm actually surprised that the defense was able to play as well as they did. Keep it up D !

Crist has got to go. He doesn't have a big play mentality. He lacks confidence...and doesn't have the mental make up to compete at this level. Yep he's big and physically talented...but no mentality to make a big play when it's needed.

Hope Weis starts to consider Cummings or Baty.

Jeremy Hays 2 years ago

???? WHAT????? How many drop passes and just plain blanketed WRs did he have to face??? yes there are some bad passes but that pass to Pierson up the sideline great call and GREAT PASS!!!

offline 2 years ago

Well, the team looks a lot better then they did the last two years under spook Gill, thats a plus.

wildjayhawk 2 years ago

You do have it correct, offline.

offline 2 years ago

Thanks, I just hope we're on the right track with Charlie and staff.

John Randall 2 years ago

The best full 60 minute game since Lew Perkins started his witch hunt.

There is heart and guts on this team, and some talent as well – just not enough to fill all the two-deep positions. Pick and Smith were missed badly, proving the point beyond a doubt.

The progress is continuing, and I still think there are a few more wins (two? three?) in store for this season. Red zone turnovers (one of ours, two of theirs) kept the scoring low and those kind of games can turn on one or two plays - - - with the effort and preparedness shown today, it's going to happen.

It is especially disheartening to see our "skill" players brought down by finger tackles on a regular basis (Pierson included). Really need Sims back, not only to break a few tackles, but to rescue Pierson from the twenty touches a game pace that no one his size can survive for a whole season, however gutsy.

Keep on sawin' wood, Rock Chalk! Go 'Hawks!

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

??????????????????

TCU has been in the top 10 pass defenses in the nation for the past several years. Our running game has been very good so far. We run for 200+ yards today and we win this game.

Charlie wants to pass because he's been so overtly vocal about how great DC is and he wants to prove he was right.

nuleafjhawk 2 years ago

AtlJay - I shouldn't even have commented about this game, because I didn't see any of it, and only listened to the 1st quarter on the radio. I guess my comments were mostly regarding the first two games. When it's all said and done, we lost by two TD's to a very good football team. Last year that could have been a 50 point game. Or worse.

danmoore 2 years ago

I am encouraged. The effort is there and the coaching is better but the level of talent is going to let us down. Patience.

thehawk 2 years ago

I'm sorry everyone, but.......Yes, we did not get blown out,Charlie. But TCU turned it over 4 TIMES in the red zone and missed a field goal, and we still lost by 14 at HOME. This game was right for the picking, and still I never felt like we were going to win at any time. I do think we are better than last year, but come on! Northern Illinois beat Army by 1 point, today, It is time for the Charlie hire and Crist start, to show us SOMETHING!! I am still hanging in there, but it is starting to get old. Sorry, no sugar coating here....

Eric Dawson 2 years ago

At the half I thought we were going to take them down and earn the upset in the final 30 minutes after Crist went 9-12 in the 1st half with a balanced attack probing one of the best defenses in the country the last few years (especially against the pass). Then the 3rd quarter started and we abandoned our ground game for Crist Air (10-27 in H2), and the tires went flat on the war wagon. I really want Dayne to succeed, I do, but more and more I am thinking we are seeing why he did not keep the starting job at ND. If this seems like déjà vu to some, think Mangino and Meier. I'm not saying we have another Reesing on the bench, just that it took Mangino a while to finally give Reesing a shot (due to a Meier injury IIRC?), and that it may take that before Charlie will give someone else besides Dayne a shot behind center.

hawkmaster 2 years ago

Quit piling on Crist, after all he is the 114th rated QB in the nation (ESPN only shows 118 QB ratings).

Although some day Crist might be as good as KU's starting QB last year, Jordan Webb now with Colorado, who is rated 101st.

Jordan Lynch, NIU's QB, KU's next stop, is rated 89th.

Eric Dawson 2 years ago

Jordan Webb -- with whom I have absolutely no ax to grind, and wish nothing but the best -- played so well against Fresno State yesterday (5/13 for 85 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs in leading CU to a 55-7 deficit at the half) that his name appears nowhere in the ESPN play-by-play record of the 2nd half.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years ago

Why don't you apply for a job with the KU administration? With your prestigious degree in 1980 from Rogers State, they would jump at the chance to have your wisdom to straighten them out.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 12 months ago

At least give Charlie 7 games, that is a chance to match MM's losing streak, before bringing it up again.

Ashwin Rao 2 years ago

You know I hear a lot of whining about a lot of things, but that's all Armchair Quaterbacking. I agree that the Gill experiment didn't work out, but we gave him 2 (long) years to prove himself. Let us give Mr. Weis some room to do what he feels will turn around the program. He has brought in toughness in the defense already... He seems to have sold his soul to the QB to bring us some respectability here... So, if it doesn't work out, we may need to wait until next year (after Crist graduates) to recovering in the offense... but I do see a positive movement everywhere... and am relishing it!

1timbob 2 years ago

I don't know what game you guys saw but Crist looked great to me. Threw for 300 yards controlled most of the game and doing it against a traditionally great defense.

Fototherapist 2 years ago

He did better than last week. Still making some mistakes, but his receivers did too.

eastcoasthawk 2 years ago

There was definite improvement in his game. But.....he had tons of time to throw and make good decisions. Yet, he didn't always make the "good" decision. He also needs to learn how to run (if you can call it that) with two hands on the ball. To me, he looked good and showed improvement.

Armen Kurdian 2 years ago

He made several inaccurate throws, more than would be expected, but he did have about 3-4 dropped passes that might have changed the outcome of the game. We've got to run 35-40 times a game and average 3.5-4.0 yards minimum. CW is putting too much pressure on DC to win the game. Or, DC is putting too much on himself. Still, this is a better team than last year.

Eric Dawson 2 years ago

My wife and I attended the game, sitting down near the north end zone high enough (and low enough) to have a really good perspective of the field. We saw several occasions were Crist looked at and then moved away from receivers who were wide open about 10 yards deep. Even my wife, who is not a student of the game, saw this, and commented rather vehemently on it. So it is not just a matter of his inaccuracy, it is a matter of how well he sees -- or doesn't see -- what is unfolding in front of him. I don't know if it was a matter of he didn't feel good about throwing to that particular open man, or if he simply misread the situation. Either way, it was not encouraging.

But I am seeing improvement overall -- even though we are going with a lot of draft horses because we don't have enough thoroughbreds -- and that is encouraging.

Kevin Kelly 2 years ago

Our head coach seems to have things going in the right direction. I'm very hopeful for his future at KU. Our Offensive Co-Ordinator, on the other hand, has a lot to learn. Hopefully the offensive co-ordinator won't take the head coach down by being stubborn. :)

You run for 5 on 1st. You run for 4 on 2nd.

OF COURSE YOU PASS ON 3rd and 4th....OF COURSE.

.....this IS the dolphins against the buccaneers....right?

RCJayhawk 2 years ago

Nice. I guess you're also not a fan of the "run-run-pass-punt" offense that 70% of bad NFL teams tend to run. Glad I'm not the only one.....

april28 2 years ago

You are absolutely right...bring on Bama, LSU, Oregon and Stanford....we'll take 'em all on. All we need is the coach who could rarely win a Big 12 game to lead us on to repeat National Championships. Screw Rutgers...schedule the Patriots!

Mike Barnhart 2 years ago

Despite the fact that our receivers are slow and can't get any separation, this team IS turning the corner. Crist has shaken of some rust, Charlie is adjusting his game plan to back to the college game and Grunnie's guys are playing at a very high level!

Is there a kicker or punter ANYWHERE on campus????

C'mon' Clint Bowen, sound tackling was the pride of the Orange Bowl team. Whatever you were doing in 2008, do it again!!!

Danny Hernandez 2 years ago

RCJayhawk 2 years ago

Oh come on! We can't ban every idiot troll. They're just too much fun to fire up. I kind of feel bad for Rogers State. You'd be pissed too if your alma matter's mascot was the "Vaudevillians."

RCJayhawk 2 years ago

I hate the fact that we lost. I highly doubt anyone on this site wants us to lose and is satisfied with our current predicament. I pick on people like you who make these inane comments (repeatedly) about KU administration and actions taken years ago that we can't control now. Mangino is gone. He should have probably been given an extra year. The Gill hire was obviously a poor one. Our program hit rock bottom at an alarming speed. Now we start over and re-build. Yes, our offense was poor yesterday. Yes, our D is so-so at best. However, this is a process! Mellow out and let our coaches and players do their jobs. Do yourself a favor and step off the ledge.

John Mueller 2 years ago

Hold on.

Nobody is happy or impressed.

But, this was our best game this season.

The team is making progress and it is ok to be positive about that development.

I am not a huge fan of the "bend but don't break", but a key component of success in any good defense is creating turnovers. This defense did that yesterday's and deserves some recognition!

Unfortunately, that near sack / 6 yard wounded duck pass turned into a 33 yard gain on a 3rd and 6. Ouch, biggest play of the game. Coulda woulda shoulda, but we were a few plays away from being in this game.

Turzelli looks good! He did some nice things and looks like he can get open. He also dropped a big ball that hit him right in the hands, but, again, some positive developments.

Crist threw some nice balls! He holds onto the ball way too long and has to get comfortable dumping the ball or throwing away, but, we don't have 5 guys who can get open. It ain't easy.

Next week, we should be at worst even from a talent standpoint. The rest of the season, we will be at a talent deficit. Remember what it was like playing in the driveway with your big brother? You didn't win very often, did you? But you either fight or quit.

I thought these guys played hard yesterday and I was glad to cheer by rear off, especially on third down (defense).

We are getting better, that deserves some praise.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 12 months ago

We are improving, but we still might very well have the worst D in the league. Not in the nation anymore though. (I don't think we were the worst last year - just played in the bst O league in the nation.) Unfortunately, that is the cost of playing in the deepest league in the country. The top might be a step behind the SEC, but the middle still rocks.

Lynn Stuart 2 years ago

I would just like to say, the team did look better and the rest of the big 12 may now know that we dont just lay down any longer, they will have to really fight to beat us. As for crist, the time ittakes him to go through his reads shows him being very rusty, all game I heard how this reciever was open and that one, the o line cant protect forever, alot of really good things came out of this game yes we lost, but we all expected comming into this season it would not be pretty, but we all agreed as longas we could compete, and we are truely beginning to do that, suprises await us for the good.

Chayse Patrick 2 years ago

so we were supposed to have a strong offense this year with a 5 star QB, we score 6 pts (that's 2 fg's) people and "we're turning the corner"?? OMG. Weis is trying to show-off Crist at the expense of his rb's and his back-up qb's. For what? another loss. Putting Crist on the bench would make Weis look like an a-- but so will 1 win this year especially after all his hype of how much this team improved from spring drills to fall practice. Gill lasted 2 years and I hope Weis makes it 4 but I wouldn't bet the farm on it just sayin' . Being a ku fan for 55 years I'm never gonna give up but that don't mean I won't get fed up. I expected to be 2-1 or with a little luck 3-0 going in to next week's game. My bad

1timbob 2 years ago

Wow you've been a Ku fan for 55 years and you thought they were going to the National Championship? The difference between you and I is you EXPECTED a bowl game this year and I HOPED for a bowl game this year.

Chayse Patrick 2 years ago

No I didn't expect a bowl game at all. I hoped with a little luck to be 3 and 0 with maybe a win next week and perhaps a win or 2 in league. So yea I guess you are right 6 wins would get us a bowl. But no way now. As far as being fed up??? The offensive play calling has been so inconsistent. You play to your strenghts and when the run is working keep running it. DUH. Crist just don't have it. Even tho he had 305 yards he threw the ball 39 times and completed 19. Our run game was doing better than the pass the 1st half but then Weis abandoned the run and threw it the 2nd half. I feel bad for Peirson and Cox. They gotta be scratchin' their heads

Michael Leiker 2 years ago

Could have sworn on the Crist fumble that the ball was recovered barely outside of the end zone, then taken back into the end zone, then tried to advance out of the end zone and tackled...I saw a safety.

troutsee 2 years ago

I think there was slight improvement. However, our QB is toooo slow and not accurate enough for us to move the ball consistently. With an immobile college QB, who is high or long on many of his passes, we are going to have trouble scoring all year. Make no mistake. TCU is a good team. Still, our offensive play in the second half was offensive. Also our special teams on KO coverage and returns stink. Very bad decisions made by a veteren player on KO returns in the 3rd Qtr that really hurt us in field position.

grandpa 2 years ago

troutsee: I agree with you. Crist needs to improve. I watched our offensive line and they gave him a lot of time. He is actually taking too much time to find his receivers and deliver. Hopefully he will improve. I think the Jayhawks are looking much better and I am pulling for them. grandpa

Layne Pierce 2 years ago

The thing that amazes me the most every year on this board is how people lose track of the big picture. We have at best .500 level talent, except for 3 or 4 players. We have a group of people who are used to being losers. That's right. In life you are a winner or a loser, and once you become part of the culture of losing, it is damn hard to get out of it. Mangino did it by being the meanest SOB. And he was informed that was not politically correct. Gill simply did not really address it, and there was absolutely no sign that he was going to. Charlie Weis comes to us from cultures of winning. Now I am willing to give him a chance to develop that culture. I am not after one Orange bowl every fifty years. I want a respectable team with a chance for a bowl every year. Fans should think about this when they leave early. And board pundits should not equate this game or that with a culture. Crist is not Christ, he is a decent QB who will probably have 2 or 3 really great games before the season is over. Receivers must step up, get open and catch the damn ball. Linemen must continue to get better. I predict that unlike Gill's squad, this team will actually improve as the season goes on. One thing to watch for is team development. Mangino was lucky enough to have a few good players. He did not develop many.

As the saying goes, act like your winner, hang around with winners, expect to win, and guess what, you just might be a winner.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

1timbob 2 years ago

No way, all you guys are expecting way too much. Crist played great, Weis coached great, the defense played bend but don't break. I don't get it every one of you is saying the defense played great and Crist is the problem but in reality the final score should have been 50-6. The whole team played with heart because of good coaching. You guys expect Crist to go 40-40 and 500 yards and 5 TD's. I'm tired of all these kids acting like they know football and they don't know a thing, you guys are band wagoners. You guys probably think the Chiefs are going to the Super bowl. Just like you guys thought KU was going undefeated. Ku is going in the right direction and has two leaders to start it. I love the pro style offense it will work in this conference!

1timbob 2 years ago

BTW-Crist looks like he's in control of the offense, especially coming out of the huddle, he has the presence of a true leader and demands it back there and that my friends is an awesome sign.

Chayse Patrick 2 years ago

you are crazy if you think Crist is in control. Never been farther from the truth. If Crist is a 5 star then Klein at kstate coulda went to the NFL right outta prep. Have you ever seen Klein play? That's control right there

Sparko 2 years ago

Big XII officiating still allows other teams to pretty much hold and interfere at will. HCCW needs to scream about some of the call and non-calls in this game. The crowd rightly booed those idiots early and often. There were several critical lapses by the refs and this needs to be corrected or punished. They seem to call preemptive holds and leg whips any time KU threatens to score a TD. Keegan mentions the fumble at the end--but the refs called a phantom leg whip "just in case." On a drop by DJ in the 1st Half, they did the same thing. Meaning even if Kansas scored those TDs they would have been called back. And then there was the most blatant hold ever on the 34-yard back-breaker in the second half. TCU did not even pretend to look for the ball on many pass defense plays. This kind of official disrespect hurts the team's chances going forward. The Baylor game last year was pretty similar. . .

Ben Kliewer 2 years ago

Kansas is tied with Alabama to lead the NCAA in Turnovers Gained and tied for third place for Turnover Margin. Not bad, considering we set the records for futility on D the last two years. This crazy scheme of hiring HCCW might actually work.

Steve Corder 2 years ago

Last year I watched and wondered just how bad can they get. Thirds year I am watching and wondering how much better can they get.

This IS an upgraded team!

Jim Jackson 2 years ago

Crist looked better.

Students need to show up.

D looked great.

Steady improvement; we;re seeing it.

Rock Chalk!

texashawk10 2 years ago

Crist did play a better game yesterday than he has in the other games this year. He finally made an accurate throw into the endzone, hit DJ Beshears in the hands, and Beshears dropped it. He hit a couple of home run balls yesterday which he had yet to do this year. Not saying Crist played a great game because he still threw a really bad pick and overthrew way too many deep passes (at least he's overthrowing everyone on those instead of underthrowing and having them picked off), and he does hold on longer than he should when Pierson or Cox are available as dump offs. Crist has been getting better each week and TCU is one of the best defenses KU will face all year. As long as he keeps getting better each week and the defense keeps up creating turnovers (3 more as the bad snap was all on TCU), KU will upset someone significantly better than they are at this point. I can definitely see 3-4 more wins in this team as NIU hasn't been very impressive so far, Baylor struggled against Sam Houston St. until depth entered the picture and KU was competitive with ISU under Gill in Ames the last two years. Throw in an upset against a good team and this team will have a ton of confidence when Heaps takes the reigns next year.

martyks 1 year, 12 months ago

I have watched Crist since he started at Notre Dame, and I have to say, the fumble into the endzone was his basic M.O. There was a reason Kelly gave up on him and went to someone with much lesser skills in Tommy Rees. Crist is an accident waiting to happen from the 10 yard line in... and it looks like he always will be.

texashawk10 1 year, 12 months ago

KU nearly had 3 TD's, you're leaving out the pass that Beshears dropped in the endzone that hit him in the hands and landed him a seat on the bench.

Chad Dexter 1 year, 12 months ago

Just to note, I believe that Beshears got sent to the bench when he decided to take the kickoff out from way back in the endzone. That wasn't the first time he's done that. For an upperclassman, he's pretty dumb sometimes.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 12 months ago

A weis man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation.

Micky Baker 1 year, 12 months ago

I see a lot of negative comments from a lot of people that don't seem to get it. Yes Dayne Crist made some mistakes, but he is playing as freshman from the experience point of view.

He made some real good passes our guys dropped. Omigie dropped one, Turzelli dropped one, Breshears couldn't get open at all. Patterson gave an all out individual effort, but he lacks size. He'd be best used in the slot and be the short guy, running crossing routes that always come wide open. But Crist made some bad decisions. He made some bad passes, and he didn't get rid of the ball a couple of times when he should have.

Crist was not the reason we lost the game though.

martyks 1 year, 11 months ago

4th Quarter problems will never go away while CW coaches the Jayhawks. The biggest problem is conditioning. He just doesn't get the team in shape for four quarters. He never has. He never will.