Saturday, September 15, 2012

Game Balls and Gassers: TCU

Candidates for Game Balls

• DE Toben Opurum consistently applied the heat, was in on six tackles and received credit for a forced fumble, fumble recovery, pass breakup and quarterback hurry.

Safety Bradley McDougald was in on 12 tackles, nine solo, had a 12-yard sack and forced two fumbles.

Candidates for Gassers

Long snapper Justin Carnes, who served the third game of his suspension and therefore was not available to make a good snap on the 45-yard field-goal attempt Ron Doherty missed.

Dayne Crist made better throws than in the first two weeks and threw for 303 yards, but fumbled the ball away near the goal line to keep Kansas from drawing within a touchdown late.

Comments

milehighhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

In no way am I defending Cairnes, but it's pretty lazy to use a gasser on him. By that logic, James Sims should be listed.

Lance Cheney 4 years, 11 months ago

What is Carnes suspended for? And for how long?

99yard_run 4 years, 11 months ago

And why qualify the Crist gasser with some good? He absolutely stunk up the field. He can't move, scrammble, run, or hold onto the ball. He makes bad throws. He can dink and dunk it all day long. You don't win games with dinks and dunks.

1timbob 4 years, 11 months ago

Crist should get a game ball, he controlled the game

Jeremy Hays 4 years, 11 months ago

That is the dumbest comment in the posts!!! I was upset with his performance against both Rice and SDSU however after the first 2 series, I thought he was pretty damn accurate and when all broke down and pressure was coming he would try to reduce damage by either throw it away or try to get positive yards. I agree cover the ball up in the middle of traffic but man I think he played extremely well. A 5 star QB throwing to 1 star WR is hard to stand out. Against Rice, when Pick went down, KU had no other option besides TEs who know how to read and react to different defenses and get open... Or in Turzilli case CATCH passes in your hands.

1timbob 4 years, 11 months ago

99yard- You're one those guys that says Tebow won all those games for Denver last year aren't you?

Pbbut 4 years, 11 months ago

That's the truth, milehigh. Of all the guys on the roster available to make a play, we're going to throw the long snapper who is suspended, with cause, under the bus. Using that logic, the coaches failed in not planning for Cairnes suspension and recruiting another snapper. How short-sighted!

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

We had another LS at the time of recruiting. He was a late defection along with the kicker.

Geezer 4 years, 11 months ago

Had to believe that Crist made that many starts at Notre Dame. In fairness the receivers don't gain any separation.

vd 4 years, 11 months ago

The first pick he threw was the emotional back breaker. I still think he would have been a better QB, if CW wouldn't have named him starting QB and ran competion for the position off.

Jeremy Hays 4 years, 11 months ago

I love watching KU football but reading this messages, tick me off cuz some of you know very little about the sport. He threw to (at ND) to Michael Floyd and the likes, here (especially since the injury to Pick -- which is no way Michael Floyd) wr who can't seperate!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 11 months ago

Can we back of Crist. It's not like he's tossing the ball to legit receivers.

David Leathers 4 years, 11 months ago

Turzilli - 1 drop = legit receiver... Turzilli = legit receiver + 1 drop

Moral: don't drop the ball, run your routes, become legit.

PS - Dayne, I saw improvement today which is encouraging, but please stop trying to run. You are not Tebow, RG3, or that homophobe, Klein from down the road. You are Dayne friggin' Crist, the guy with 2 bum knees and a cannon for an arm. Please play your game so that we, as a fan-base, can blame someone else for a change.

David Leathers 4 years, 11 months ago

Long story shortened: A friend of mine was partying in Aggieville, ran into Klein, and saw him get hit on by a gay person. Shortly after, Klein was throwing F-bombs at the kid. It didn't really make much sense to me seeing that he wears purple on a daily basis.

Ryan Shelton 4 years, 11 months ago

Smelling the BS. That dude may be from KSU, but he's a class guy.

David Leathers 4 years, 11 months ago

I'll take Tebow as a college player any day. He knew what it took to win.

Ryan Shelton 4 years, 11 months ago

We have to give Crist some credit. The int was a bad read, and he had a few tosses get away from him, but he took a beating today and just kept coming. You may not be happy with 51% and 300 yards, but he hung in there and competed. TCU's defense is a lot better than many are giving them credit for. Get off Crist's case.

beenahawk 4 years, 11 months ago

The BIGGEST "gasser" was on the 4th and one. No one covering the center on defense so MOST 5th year senior QB's would simply sneak and get the 1st down. Charlie calls for a play action homerun which Crist delivers directly into the hands of Gary Patterson!

Face it, Crist isn't very good. WHo would have thought before the season began that offense, QB in particular would be the team weakenss?

1timbob 4 years, 11 months ago

That was a great call, but the DB read it perfectly that was good D

Jeremy Hays 4 years, 11 months ago

Biggest Weakness on TEAM is QB????? not WR??? 5 star throwing to 1 or 2 stars!!! Hell I know Crist looked bad early hell he said he was but what are we thinking when you watch and he gets great time, and then he looks... looks.... looks... looks... NO ONE Open I watched his head on three throws, 2 where he had to throw it away or take sack and he scanned across the field and went back to read 1 and 2... That is bad WRs or GREAT Coverage...

Josh Galler 4 years, 11 months ago

my gasser is the coaching staff, got away from running game in the 3rd and some questionable game calling at points that we could had taken advantage of.

DocPossum 4 years, 11 months ago

My gasser is the KU fan that doesn't understand that this is a journey and doesn't applaud the effort put forth by the team.

1timbob 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree possum, those are my gassers too

danmoore 4 years, 11 months ago

Carnes and Sims are legit gassers but I can't give one to Crist. But I can give one to the fans who can't fill a 50k statdium.

Lance Cheney 4 years, 11 months ago

Was that during the Reesing/Orange Bowl years? Because that doesn't count. A lot of people were "fans" when we were winning.

danmoore 4 years, 11 months ago

My freshman year was Nolan Cromwell’s junior year when KU ran a powerful wishbone offense with Laverne Smith and Billy Campfield. (all three played in the NFL). That was an exciting team and it broke my heart when Cromwell was injured right before the end of the first half against Oklahoma. After that we only won one game and that was against K-State. Some pretty lean years followed. In 1978 we were 1-10 with our only W against UCLA.

I actually think fans are better today. When I was a student the only time we filled memorial with KU fans was when missouri or ksu was playing. When nebraska and oklahoma played the north end was a sea of red. Still too many fan weather fans IMO.

Lance Cheney 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree with you. We have way too many fair weather fans, who start with the "wait until basketball season," or "how long until basketball season" after the 2nd week of football season. I don't know if people realize it or not, but that's a joke that KSU and Mizzouchebags make about us (the "wait until basketball season" line). Basketball season's not for another 2 months, so you might as well have some fun until then, and cheer on the football team. How do you expect us to build a good football program and get good recruits with so many fair weather fans around this campus? My freshman year was 2001 - the tail end of the Terry Allen years (thank god). But my friends and I were in that stadium for almost every home game, and every beating we took in that stadium. It's funny how many people came out to the games once we started winning...

1timbob 4 years, 11 months ago

I am a season ticket holder, I boycotted the past two seasons cause I didn't like Gill and I thought my school screwed me. I remember buying hotdogs to get free KU football tickets, when the only team they could beat was KSU.