Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Prep guard ‘Cat’ Barber keeps Jayhawks in top 3

Just three schools — Kansas University, Alabama and North Carolina State — remain contenders for prize point guard prospect Anthony “Cat” Barber.

Barber, a 6-foot-2 senior from Hampton (Va.) High, who visited KU two weeks ago, has apparently been dropped as a recruit by Louisville following last weekend’s campus visit. It has been speculated that Louisville has decided to focus on former Tennessee commit Chris Jones, a 5-11 sophomore from Northwest Florida State College.

“I don’t know what happened,” Barber’s AAU coach, Boo Williams, told zagsblog.com of the elimination of Louisville.

Rivals.com reports that KU coach Bill Self traveled to Jones’ hometown of Memphis to meet with Jones’ mother on Tuesday morning.

Jones is slated to visit Louisville this weekend, Florida State the following weekend and KU for Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 12. He’s already visited Baylor and Oklahoma State.

Self was in Barber’s home in Virginia on Tuesday night. Barber, ranked No. 9 nationally, is slated to visit N.C. State this weekend.

Talk has died down a bit of Barber wanting to attend the same school as his Boo Williams AAU teammate, Troy Williams, 6-6 from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va. Troy Williams is reportedly considering Alabama, Ohio State, Indiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and LSU. He has an in-home with Alabama coach Anthony Grant on Friday, Zagsblog.com reports. KU apparently is no longer on his list.

“Right now, it looks like we’ll sign late because we just can’t make enough school visits,” Boo Williams, Troy’s uncle and AAU coach, told Zagsblog. “How the schedule works out, we can’t make (enough) school visits. We’ll probably only make one or two at the most (first semester).”

Gordon update: No. 5-ranked Aaron Gordon, a 6-8 forward from Archbishop Mitty High in San Jose, Calif., tells PointGuardU.com that Arizona, Oregon and Washington are his current leaders. He’s to visit KU for Late Night and also is considering Kentucky, Cal and Stanford. His KU in-home visit is slated for Sept. 25.

Embiid’s offers: Unranked Joel Embiid, 7-foot, 220 pounds from Cameroon who now attends The Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., tells the Louisville Courier-Journal he has offers from Louisville, KU, Florida, Marquette, Kansas State, Texas, DePaul, Southern Methodist, George Washington, Vanderbilt and Virginia.

Lee cuts KU: No. 15-ranked Marcus Lee, a 6-9 senior forward from Deer Valley High in Antioch, Calif, has eliminated KU from his list of schools, leftcoastrecruiting.com reports. He has a final three of Cal, Kentucky and Louisville.

Young has KU on final list: No. 8-ranked James Young, a 6-6 senior shooting guard from Rochester (Mich.) High, has a final five of KU, Arizona, Kentucky, Michigan State and Syracuse, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports.

“The thing that excited us about Arizona and Syracuse is the style of play consistent with the coaches, as well as Kansas. All of those schools have gotten James excited,” said Young’s godfather, Sean Malone. He’d long been considered a heavy Kentucky lean.

Billy’s replacement: ESPN has listed some coaches who might replace Texas Tech’s Billy Gillispie, if he is fired in coming days.

Possible candidates are current Tech assistants Bubba Jennings, Jeremy Cox and Chris Walker, as well as former Tech assistant Chris Beard, head coach at McMurry University in Abilene, Texas. So far there’s been no mention of KU director of basketball operations Doc Sadler, who was an assistant at Texas Tech from 1991 to ‘94.

Comments

Joe Satterwhite 1 year, 10 months ago

Odds KU lands Barber? Right now I'd say 60%. Anyone agree?

trustyourSelf 1 year, 10 months ago

C'mon Cat, this is an easy one.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 10 months ago

Word from Evan Daniels, national recruting guy is Barber did something really dumb while on oficial visit to Lville. They then dropped him. Naturally, everybody wants to know what it was he did to be dropped so quickly.

Robert Brock 1 year, 10 months ago

He probably said that he likes to watch UK basketball games.

Kent Wells 1 year, 10 months ago

Shot someone with an air rifle? Exposed himself on an elevator? DUI? Picked a fight with the Louisville football team? Got busy on the Jayhawk in AFH?

Who knows, maybe he's just trying to fit in?

Kent Wells 1 year, 10 months ago

Awesome! I seriously thought I would get flamed for that post!

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Who got busy on the Jayhawk in AFH?

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Isn't that the rumor of why TT was suspended? (Two games wasn't it, for having a "joint relationship" between the women's and men's BB teams?)

Kent Wells 1 year, 10 months ago

Seriously? You missed that? Here is a hint: Point plankin'

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 10 months ago

"Hey Coach Pitino, remember when you coached Kentucky and you had that embarrassing loss at Kansas when they put up 150 on you? . . . Coach . . . Coach? . . . crap"

doctorWho 1 year, 10 months ago

Michael Luby 1 year, 10 months ago

When is boot camp again? I hope Cat picks KU. Should be best guard weve had since Collins, though totally different game styles.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Breaking News: Notre Dame just joined the ACC in all sports except football. That is terrible news!

billhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Dang. Didn't see that coming.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

ND...always trying to have it both ways.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

It appears we are in Cat's Final Three rather than Top Three unless there are other stealth suitors out there lurking in the shadows.

Let's look at the competition;

• ALABAMA - Most folks in that state don't even know that Alabama has a basketball team and a surprising number don't even know what a basketball is. The only ball that counts is oblong and made from a P-I-G, Pig!!!

• NORTH CAROLINA STATE - Haven't been relevant in basketball since Jimmy V's "never give up" speech in 1993 and haven't won a league title or been to a Final Four since Reagan was President. All Wolfpack fans hate the color Carolina Blue.

• UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS - C'mon, Cat...do I even really need to list it all???

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Really, what is the attraction to Alabama for Barber? I guess only if it is really so important that his buddy, Troy Williams, come with him. I posted a while back that I don't think they'll go to the same college. We hear this from time to time and rarely to does it happen.

When Barber and his family are assessing his future, his chances of playing in the NBA, the entire package, they are going to bet that on Alabama because Williams can come with him? Not happening. And take Williams out of that equation .. Alabama was only in the equation because they were on both Williams' and Barber's lists; they're selling the package deal. No way he picks 'Bama. No rational reason to do so.

But Louisville and NC State are legitimate candidates for a guy like Barber. And Louisville is now out.

Geography favors NC State -- everything else favors KU.

First post of this thread said 60% probability. I'll go higher. 70%. The only thing that could provide real sway for this kid is the weight of the "being closer to home" thing. That could trump some other things, of course. That is out of Self's control. But put yourself in that family's place. KU vs. NC State? Yea, I want my boy close to home. But this is his future. This could decide if he's making millions in a few years, or relying upon his degree to get him by in life. Come on. Son, you must be a Jayhawk.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"Is the Game Being Cleaned Up, or Are the Wrong Way Types Purging the Right Way Types at Last?"

● D1 hoops have reputedly been corrupted for a long time. I have been waiting a long time for the "wrong way" types to get their just deserts. But is that what is happening?

And a small group of "right way" coaches appear to have been refusing to "play ball" with "wrong way" types favoring the compliant with talent. In turn...

Duke gets a Lance Thomas case, something that could easily be explained by four summers of $15/hour summer jobs, plus a small amount of student loans, plus youthful overoptimism about his his chances in the draft.

UNC gets a fund raiser and his co-worker/romantic interest run for padding expense accounts to see her son play a game at Notre Dame. Wow! Is that bottomless corruption, or what?

KU had its Scalpinggate and LewGate. Some bottom feeders in the bureaucracy that had nothing to do with KU basketball defrauding the school with ticket scalping, and an AD having the chutzpah to accept some exercise equipment for awhile before returning it. Is this really the kind of corruption that is the foundation of the "wrong way" types eating away at the talent pimping?

Norm Roberts, a "right way" guy, is documented to have gotten run from St. Johns by the "wrong way" types, because he wouldn't be force fed players and juco coaches from "wrong way" talent pimps.

Billy Gillispie, another "right way" type perhaps got run from UK for being a "right way" guy, sat out a while, tried to come back at lowly TTech, and perhaps may be getting run there, too, maybe again for being a "right way" type.

It seems that programs that refuse to be force players and coaches from the "wrong way" talent pimps increasingly find themselves getting investigated for other things in their programs.

While at the same time, "wrong way" programs sail through clouds of rumored investigations that never seem to be followed through on.

I keep waiting: when do the "wrong way" types start getting their just deserts?

The longer this run on the "right way" programs continues, with no "wrong way" big timers taking hits, the more it looks like a coup d'etat of hoops.

Why do you think the "right way" programs are going down, but the "wrong way" programs are not?

Does anyone seriously think Duke, UNC, and KU are the real dens of iniquity in D1?

●"This is Chicago, Mr. Ness. Everyone knows where the booze is. The question is, Mr. Ness, what're you prepared to do?!!!"

Ron Prichard 1 year, 10 months ago

Just because Billie Gillespie is a friend of Self and ostensibly the KU program doesn't necessarily make him a "right way" guy. I agree that I think he was run from Kensucky without being given a fair chance due to some spoiled players not liking him (as well as the fact that he didn't win as quickly as they wanted). However, some of what I have heard at TT is unacceptable. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I know enough to say whether it is true or not. However, if ANY of it is true, then TT has no choice but to fire him. How can they defend a lawsuit in court for the wrongful termination of Mike Leach if they let Gillespie stick around? Whether they want to keep him or not, if any of this is true, he's gone. For that matter, even based on perception, he could be gone. They simply don't have any leeway to give him right now.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"To Be Filed Under: Not Sure If/How This May Figure into Conference Expansion Yet"

To reiterate, conference expansion has to wait to see which candidate is elected, because who becomes President significantly impacts which axis of oligarchy gets the most pork for the next four years. And, well, why jump to a conference that has backers that are on the outside looking in on the Federal gravy train of education/research funding and regional infrastructure expansion issues, right?

So: inconsequential things like Super Corridor extension hang in the balance for awhile longer and that effects conference re-alignment, because aligning with the right conference under the right Presidential administration could mean so much more to your university's and your state's bottom line than some TV chits thrown your way for football TV revenues, right?

And to remind all, the Super Corridor remains blocked in KC. And it remains blocked in KC, while "dry canals" (that use high speed trains specially designed and built to move containers ship to shore to ship) are being punched across Colombia (Chinese), Mexico (Crown of Great Britain), and Nicaragua (not sure who) apparently in attempts to end run not only the antiquated Panama Canal, but the Xtapa to Kansas City Super Corridor stalled in KC, also.

So: what's new?

A dry canal is now proposed that would connect the Great Lakes with the Mississippi.

Now, which axis of oligarchy is pushing this particular "dry canal" from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi is undetermined by yours truly, at present. A case could be made for those backers of President Obama. Another case could be made that it is clever move by backers of Mitt Romney to garner support in those states.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

But one has at least to wonder if perhaps it might not be a concept being advanced by the axis of oligarchy backing President Obama, since he is from Chicago, a major city in a region with some history of obstructing the Super Corridor's extention.

And of course, if a dry canal were to connect the Great Lakes with the Mississippi River System, and coupled with a number of "dry canals" spanning central America, that might spell the end of a need for a Super Corridor, at all, mightn't it?

And that in turn might alter which conference teams might wish to realign with, assuming that conferences among other things represent alliances of states with similar regional voting interests beyond just game days.

Oh, its so interesting to speculate about conference expansion outside the TV revenue box.

I am amazed that persons are not noticing that MU jumped to a conference for apparently LESS TV money. How remarkable!

But, but, but, jaybate, football TV revenues drive everything including high and low tides, haven't you heard? MU was just to stupid to forecast what the likely revenues would be for Big 12 football.

Sure, and if you believe that, then I've got some Confederate War bonds to sell, too.

MU jumps for less football TV money, not long after Texas and Oklahoma stayed in the Big 12 apparently for less football TV money. How many schools have to take less football TV money to either stay, or leave, before board rats start noticing that something other than football TV revenues drives the realignment process?

Oh, wait, its all just ludicrous conjecture on my part. :-)

It can't be. :-)

OK, I'm down with my scenario still being mostly speculative.

But at least we can give up this hoary notion that football TV revenues are driving realignment, can't we?

(Note: all speculation and opining.)

MartyrMangino 1 year, 10 months ago

Disclaimer: Jaybate has expressed his indignation on multiple occasions about Turner Gill's firing.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

MartyrMangino, nice serial alias for an invertebrate. :-)

So: SerialMartyrMangino,

First Question: why is it so many serial aliases like to abuse Mark Mangino's last name in their acts? Mangino did some great things for KU football. Why do serial aliases like to stigmatize his name by attaching it to their retrograde acts?

Second question: What is driving conference realignment, since MU's move out, and Texas' and OU's staying in, indicate optimizing football TV revenue is not the driver?

Next, I try to do this for some of the serial aliases here. I can't do it for all of them, because there are too many. Anyway, I try to recommend a series of serial aliases for you in case your software routine for generating serial aliases is on the fritz. :-)

But since I try to respect KU's former coaches like Mark Mangino and Turner Gill, regardless of their records, and reasons for leaving, I will do this without using Mark last Mangino's name.

SerialSlowStartyr SerialSartyrResaurtus SerialImpartyr SerialBlackGartyr SerialSnailDartyr

If it were me, I would use SerialSnailDarter next.

But that's just me. :-)

Rock Chalk!

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

Do you take your soap-box to parties? Did you know there are forums hosted on this very site with all manner of subcategories? Did you know you can get a blog and post a link? Are you familiar with the term 'hijacking'? How about 'non-sequitor'? Do you need somebody to talk to in person?

Why you post this (admittedly engaging speculative essay) in the comment section of this article leaves me scratching my head.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Robin, why you scratch your head makes me wonder?

Does the user agreement specify that all posts must relate to the story? :-)

Does it frighten you, or stress you, or give you feelings GUILT, to read posts in a thread unrelated to the story at the top?

Why not post about things unrelated to the story? :-)

And why didn't you ask MartyrMangino the same question?

And why are you posting about my post not being related to the story when your post about my post not being related to the story is not related to the story? :-)

I mean, seriously; this is post responding to your post that I am typing right now is not related to the story either.

Does this mean you are going to have to post that my post not about the story in response to your post about my post not being about the story is also not about the story?

We used to call this an infinite do loop in digital antiquity. :-)

But, what the heck, let's do it.

Let's do an infinite do loop about posts not related to the story.

Its a fresh angle. :-)

Rock Chalk!!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Seriously, Robin, all real discourse is nonlinear. Don't worry. What we do here is unofficially unofficial. :-)

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

A few good laughs at the end of this day was just what I needed :)

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

Let me be sure you know I do genuinely enjoy reading your writing. And more often then not what you say is interesting, even if it's not about basketball.

The reason I comment on your post is because you write so much more than anyone else and it's just somewhat jarring to see a whole series of related posts and responses and then get a huge entry that A) I either skip because I'm unsure if it has anything to do with what I'm currently interested in or B) I read because it may or may not have to do with what I'm currently interested in.

You see while you are a vastly better writer, the effect of this is like reading a Keegan piece -- I end up feeling like I was baited to spend my time reading it because it posed as something pertinent and informative. You have a much better success rate :D but they're so looooong. Now I skip Keegan altogether and yours I mostly skim for keywords, because there's a lot to parse on the internet and only so many hours in a day. There are many ways to package and categorize your content such that people can find the portions they're interested in in the order that makes sense to them -- I'm suggesting you apply such vague logic to your ramblings.

It seems like you perhaps see this section as an open-mic (which it is to a certain degree, and which is fine and I can respect that) but much like real open-mics when someone goes up and brashly disregards the context and mindset of their audience, it is tiresome and alienating.

My comment to you is more a question of slight social courtesies rather than a question of discourse philosophy.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 1 year, 10 months ago

Started alright but ended as always; long, winded and so all over the place it's unreadable.

SerialTheonlythingthatexceedsyourbad,

What up?

Autofondling not working today for you? :-)

I am intentionally engaging you to try to spike clicks here for the good of our online hosts.

But come regular season, you're going to have to have mastered the autofondling, because by then posting will have to stay centered on hoops. Capice? :-)

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

This is very good news. We're the only blue blood in his final 3!

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

Make that Crimson and Blue blood!

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

Bill was in Memphis yesterday visiting Chris Jones's mama and he didnt call me? I would have taken him to my favorite BBQ place for lunch. His loss. Maybe next trip he'll have more time.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Cold pack and Fed Ex him some trial bones, and I be he looks you up next trip!!! :-)

bad_dog 1 year, 10 months ago

One can only speculate at the variety of services potentially offered by a "Cat Barber". Waxing, shaving, tweezing; the possibilities are endless.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Joel Embiid breaks into a top 100. Unbelievable for a kid who supposedly has only been playing for 18 months.

Self visiting Parker .. from ESPN -----

I just had a great conversation with Sonny Parker, father of Chicago Simeon small forward Jabari Parker, who said his son is excited about the home visits, which started Tuesday night when Florida coach Billy Donovan stopped by. They continue with DePaul coach Oliver Purnell visiting on Wednesday and Kansas coach Bill Self making the trip on Friday to the top-rated senior, while other programs are working on dates to visit the Parkers.

Once the in-home visits are complete, Sonny said that Jabari could be ready to trim his list of 10 -- Brigham Young, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina and Stanford -- down to five.

"I am looking for how the coaches explain their style of play to Jabari," said Sonny, who was drafted No. 17 overall in the 1976 NBA draft by the Golden State Warriors. "I want to see how the coaches are going to set up a player of Jabari's size (6-foot-8, 220 pounds) and talent so he can handle the ball on the break and in the half court. Jabari needs to be allowed to make plays."

And making plays is exactly what Jabari Parker can do. He has the ability to rebound, lead the break, come off screens, pick and pop to drive or shoot the 3. Not to mention, if his defender is smaller than him, he will attack from the low post, where he has the feel, moves and footwork of an NBA veteran and the basketball IQ to go with it.

It will be fun to see what schools make the cut for the most versatile and toughest matchup in the Class of 2013.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect. --Ambrose Bierce

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for the cbs rankings update. Joel Embiid no longer off any radars. Here's hoping that KU was among the first programs to contact Joel, and show interest. This recruit looks to be a terrific replacement for departing Jeff Withey. They both are noted for strong volleyball backgrounds to accompany their 7' statures.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Parker's dad is quoted as saying "I want to see how the coaches are going to set up a player of Jabari's size (6-foot-8, 220 pounds) and talent so he can handle the ball on the break and in the half court. Jabari needs to be allowed to make plays."

Hmmm. Personally, I'd suggest he go make plays at Kentucky, or Florida, or Georgetown, or wherever, and we'll kick his a** with our "team."

I get what Parker's dad is doing. I get demands. I get that he is looking out for his kid. But does he really get that if he comes to KU it is about KU, not Jabari Parker? I doubt it, and I just want no part of that garbage.

Try an alternative quote: " I want to hear how each of the coaches intend to develop my son. Jabari's a talented young man and can do a lot of things, but he can get better with the right guidance. There's no question Jabari wants to play in the NBA, but college is special experience. We're looking for a coach and school where he can improve as a person and player, while continuing to develop as part of a team."

I don't know, maybe I just don't get it. Give me the next tier who isn't a sure-fire 1st round pick. A kid whose professional playing career will be decided by how well he develops at KU. We seem to have had pretty good success with that.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Doubt, indulged and cherished, is in danger of becoming denial; but if honest, and bent on thorough investigation, it may soon lead to full establishment of the truth. --Ambrose Bierce

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

agreed. Self won't have that either.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

HEM could not agree more. I believe we have traveled this road before.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Academe, n.: An ancient school where morality and philosophy were taught. Academy, n.: A modern school where football is taught. --Ambrose Bierce

And thus endeth Ambrose Bierce Day. :-)

7 feet?

After all these years, its still a lot of feet.

Joel Embiid, come to KU aka Footer U.

Our dorms have beds for footers.

No feet hanging over the end of a bed at KU.

Rock Chalk!

milehighhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

(Rest of headline)...Despite Best Efforts of Messageboard Morons

milehighhawk,

I worry that your avatar may enable Roy's recruiting. It is too small to see the emblem on his shirt. Just large enough to reveal Roy. :-)

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

Has anyone read the actual initial report about Gillispie and Texas Tech?

If not and you are at all curious, I highly recommend that you do so: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20052645/more-trouble-for-gillispie-as-allegations-of-mistreatment-surface

I would tend to agree that some of the things he is accused of are completely unacceptable. But I was also shocked at the sheer volume and ridiculousness of the allegations. Its like they say in homicide investigation--it was almost an "orgy of evidence". It's so much that I have to think that at least some of it has been fabricated or at least exaggerated.

That being said, it sounds like he's done at Texas Tech, regardless of how much of the allegations are true. There's enough damning evidence that it would make anyone in charge of evaluating his status at the University give pause, thinking 'if even SOME of this is true, we have to let him go'. Especially after the way Mike Leach was railroaded out of town by that former ESPN hack Craig James.

From the CBS article:

"One source said that Gillispie, the night before most games, has everyone in attendance participate in layup lines at the start of practice -- including television and radio broadcasters, strength coaches and assistant coaches.

"If we fumbled the ball, slipped or shot it with the wrong hand, he'd make us run the steps of the arena," the source said. "He got a big kick out of it, but it was demeaning for us as grown men."

Are we really expected to believe that? What kind of power would Gillispie have to actually force the broadcasters, for example, to do layup drills? I halfway expected the passage to end with, "and then he would parade a baby calf out onto the court, cut out it's heart and demand that everyone in attendance take a bite of the heart in order to gain the animal's "life force".

Another piece from the article that seems to strain credibility is the fact that one of the recruits that reportedly couldn't handle playing for Gillispie was named Wannah Bail. Seriously?!?!?! WANNAH BAIL! I'd say the answer to that question is a resounding 'yes'.

I wonder what BCG would say if you asked him today if he would take the Kentucky job if given another chance, knowing what he knows today... because since he left A&M, at which he had a pretty good thing going (I know this KU fan is glad he's no longer there), it's been one disaster after another for the guy. Admittedly some of his own doing.